|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author also read "A Testament of Devotion," written by _____.
(a) Dorothy Parker.
(b) Mary Strong.
(c) Noel Coward.
(d) Thomas Kelly.
2. The author dreamed about a hotel where the desk clerk told him the name of the room to which he wanted to return is called what?
3. The author lists what he calls "real" art as painting, music, dance, and ______.
4. "He who does not love remains in death" is quoted by the author from what book of the Bible?
(a) I John.
(b) III John.
(d) II John.
5. When the author and his brother lived in _____ they had a nurse who dropped her teeth at will.
(b) New Jersey.
(d) Washington D.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that he has underlying questions, just like his sick daughter, about love, trust, fear, loss and _______.
2. The author likens the way we scurry through life to ____, in how we keep busy, busy, ignoring the big things while small things loom large.
3. What type of cedar trees does the author describe, as a smell of "the island?"
4. Which island shop had ceiling fans?
5. What is the Little Ease?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did trying to help his daughter reveal to the author about his emotional state?
2. How did the author translate his hotel dream into his real life?
3. How did the author's kids connect him with the outside world when they were small?
4. What can you tell about the author and his time at Union Theological Seminary?
5. How do our other selves develop as explained in Part Two of "Telling Secrets?"
6. Why did the author like having Dudley Knott as a friend?
7. When do Dudley Knott and the author become friends?
8. What does the author describe about the Tower of London?
9. How did the author feel about his kids once they were older and how did this affect his life once they left home as adults?
10. What dream did the author have about a hotel?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)