|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "The Man Who Was Thursday?"
(a) Noel Coward.
(b) The author.
(c) G.K. Chesterton.
(d) Thomas Kelly.
2. What type of cedar trees does the author describe, as a smell of "the island?"
(c) Western Red.
(d) Eastern Red.
3. Where did the author go to wait with a friend who got news about a family accident?
(a) Train station.
(c) His home.
(d) Bus station.
4. What was the name of the author's maternal grandmother?
5. Who wrote "The Power and the Glory?"
(a) Thomas Kelly.
(b) Graham Greene.
(c) Dorothy Parker.
(d) G.K. Chesterton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hymn did the old nurse teach the author and his young brother?
2. The author states that he has underlying questions, just like his sick daughter, about love, trust, fear, loss and _______.
3. How old was the author when he met his new best friend, Dudley Knott?
4. In what year was "Now and Then" written?
5. In what war was Dudley Knott a naval officer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the author feel about his kids once they were older and how did this affect his life once they left home as adults?
2. How did the author translate his hotel dream into his real life?
3. Why does the author go to Bermuda as a child?
4. What differences did the author write about among Union students as well as what they all shared?
5. Why does the author describe Bermuda as enchanting?
6. Who is Naya?
7. What does the author tell us about his first two autobiographies?
8. How does the author connect his feelings to what he describes about the Tower in London?
9. What did the author expect in a Harvard teaching experience that he did not get when he actually taught at Harvard Divinity School?
10. Who goes to Bermuda with the author when he is a child and how does he describe their arrival in Bermuda?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)