|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author read the "Letters of the Scattered Brotherhood," written by _____.
(a) Mary Strong.
(b) Dorothy Parker.
(c) Thomas Kelly.
(d) Noel Coward.
2. What color was the house the author and his family lived in on the island, in a town called Paget?
3. In what year was the author's first novel published?
4. In what year did the author accept an invitation to teach at Harvard Divinity School?
5. Who wrote "The Man Who Was Thursday?"
(a) Thomas Kelly.
(b) The author.
(c) G.K. Chesterton.
(d) Noel Coward.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part Two, the author describes his memory of the color of the shallows in the Gulf Stream on the island as ___.
2. Which was the employer of the driver who later gave the author the license plate with the encouraging word imprinted on it that the author saw passing on the road?
3. The author states that he has underlying questions, just like his sick daughter, about love, trust, fear, loss and _______.
4. The author lists what he calls "real" art as painting, music, dance, and ______.
5. The author writes about his teaching experience at Harvard that "the danger of pluralism is that it becomes ______."
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author go to Bermuda as a child?
2. What events from the author's life most fit the title for Part Two of "Telling Secrets?"
3. What can you tell about the author and his time at Union Theological Seminary?
4. How does the author connect his feelings to what he describes about the Tower in London?
5. What dream did the author have about a hotel?
6. Besides complaints about him praying in his first class at Harvard, what other surprises did the author's students give him?
7. How did the author's kids connect him with the outside world when they were small?
8. What did trying to help his daughter reveal to the author about his emotional state?
9. What does the author tell us about his first two autobiographies?
10. How did the author translate his hotel dream into his real life?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)