|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author what batters and shapes us in all sorts of ways?
(b) Our memories.
(d) Our parents.
2. How many years after attending theological seminary did the author started teaching at Harvard?
3. The author states that he has underlying questions, just like his sick daughter, about love, trust, fear, loss and _______.
4. Where did the author go to wait with a friend who got news about a family accident?
(a) Bus station.
(c) His home.
(d) Train station.
5. In what year did the author's sick daughter finally graduate college?
Short Answer Questions
1. What college did the author graduate from before being ordained as a minister?
2. Sitting on the side road, depressed about his sick child, what encouraging word did the author read on the license plate of a passing vehicle?
3. Who wrote "The Man Who Was Thursday?"
4. The author writes about his teaching experience at Harvard that "the danger of pluralism is that it becomes ______."
5. In relation to the White Tower, where does the author say he spent many of his dark days?
Short Essay Questions
1. What differences did the author write about among Union students as well as what they all shared?
2. Why did the author like having Dudley Knott as a friend?
3. What did the author expect in a Harvard teaching experience that he did not get when he actually taught at Harvard Divinity School?
4. How did the author feel about his kids once they were older and how did this affect his life once they left home as adults?
5. What dream did the author have about a hotel?
6. What events from the author's life most fit the title for Part Two of "Telling Secrets?"
7. How did the author's kids connect him with the outside world when they were small?
8. Who goes to Bermuda with the author when he is a child and how does he describe their arrival in Bermuda?
9. How did the author translate his hotel dream into his real life?
10. What did trying to help his daughter reveal to the author about his emotional state?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)