|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author states that he has underlying questions, just like his sick daughter, about love, trust, fear, loss and _______.
2. Who bought the world and "home" back to the author each day?
(a) His children.
(b) His writing.
(c) His books.
(d) His wife.
3. In the White Tower what has an heavy oak door?
(a) Little Ease.
(b) The palace.
(c) The Outer Ward.
(d) The Norman chapel.
4. The author writes about how he cannot preach about ____, after an atheist student tells him she and others do not believe in God.
5. Which island shop had ceiling fans?
(a) Phoenix Drugstore.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of cedar trees does the author describe, as a smell of "the island?"
2. What room in the White Tower measures only four feet high?
3. "The Power and the Glory" dealt with what country in the 1930s?
4. According to the author, besides himself, who else to some degree is like the White Tower?
5. Sitting on the side road, depressed about his sick child, what encouraging word did the author read on the license plate of a passing vehicle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do our other selves develop as explained in Part Two of "Telling Secrets?"
2. Why does the author go to Bermuda as a child?
3. What did trying to help his daughter reveal to the author about his emotional state?
4. What dream did the author have about a hotel?
5. What events from the author's life most fit the title for Part Two of "Telling Secrets?"
6. Why does the author describe Bermuda as enchanting?
7. Who goes to Bermuda with the author when he is a child and how does he describe their arrival in Bermuda?
8. How does the author connect his feelings to what he describes about the Tower in London?
9. What did the author expect in a Harvard teaching experience that he did not get when he actually taught at Harvard Divinity School?
10. What can you tell about the author and his time at Union Theological Seminary?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)