|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did the author accept an invitation to teach at Harvard Divinity School?
2. In "The White Tower", the author describes his father as the young man in the gray slacks and maroon _______.
3. The author writes about how he cannot preach about ____, after an atheist student tells him she and others do not believe in God.
4. How many years after attending theological seminary did the author started teaching at Harvard?
5. The author likens the way we scurry through life to ____, in how we keep busy, busy, ignoring the big things while small things loom large.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of cedar trees does the author describe, as a smell of "the island?"
2. The author talks about English money weighing down his pockets; the heavy coppers, florins and __.
3. At theological seminary who became the author's father and brother in Christ?
4. In what year was "Now and Then" written?
5. What room in the White Tower measures only four feet high?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the author translate his hotel dream into his real life?
2. What can you tell about the author and his time at Union Theological Seminary?
3. What events from the author's life most fit the title for Part Two of "Telling Secrets?"
4. What differences did the author write about among Union students as well as what they all shared?
5. What dream did the author have about a hotel?
6. When do Dudley Knott and the author become friends?
7. Why did the author like having Dudley Knott as a friend?
8. What does the author describe about the Tower of London?
9. What does the author tell us about his first two autobiographies?
10. Why does the author describe Bermuda as enchanting?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)