|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the author's maternal grandmother?
2. Which was the employer of the driver who later gave the author the license plate with the encouraging word imprinted on it that the author saw passing on the road?
(a) A school.
(b) A church.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A bank.
3. When the author and his brother lived in _____ they had a nurse who dropped her teeth at will.
(a) Washington D.C.
(c) New Jersey.
4. Who bought the world and "home" back to the author each day?
(a) His wife.
(b) His children.
(c) His books.
(d) His writing.
5. What is Dudley Knott's wife's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author writes about how he cannot preach about ____, after an atheist student tells him she and others do not believe in God.
2. What is on the second floor of the White Tower?
3. Who wrote "The Man Who Was Thursday?"
4. What is the oldest part of the Tower of London?
5. What Shakespeare reading assignment was objected to by the author's feminist students?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author go to Bermuda as a child?
2. How did the author's kids connect him with the outside world when they were small?
3. How do our other selves develop as explained in Part Two of "Telling Secrets?"
4. Why did the author like having Dudley Knott as a friend?
5. Who goes to Bermuda with the author when he is a child and how does he describe their arrival in Bermuda?
6. What differences did the author write about among Union students as well as what they all shared?
7. What did trying to help his daughter reveal to the author about his emotional state?
8. Why does the author describe Bermuda as enchanting?
9. What does the author tell us about his first two autobiographies?
10. Who is Naya?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)