|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author lists what he calls "real" art as painting, music, dance, and ______.
2. Who bought the world and "home" back to the author each day?
(a) His wife.
(b) His books.
(c) His writing.
(d) His children.
3. What color was the house the author and his family lived in on the island, in a town called Paget?
4. The scripture passage in the beginning of Part Two of the book says that we were created in the likeness and image of who?
5. What is on the second floor of the White Tower?
(a) The Tower Watch.
(b) Little Ease.
(c) The Chapel of St. John.
(d) The Innermost Ward.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sitting on the side road, depressed about his sick child, what encouraging word did the author read on the license plate of a passing vehicle?
2. In the White Tower what has an heavy oak door?
3. The author states that he has underlying questions, just like his sick daughter, about love, trust, fear, loss and _______.
4. The author writes about how he cannot preach about ____, after an atheist student tells him she and others do not believe in God.
5. What does the author say we are constantly putting off and on like coats and hats against the world's weather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the author expect in a Harvard teaching experience that he did not get when he actually taught at Harvard Divinity School?
2. When do Dudley Knott and the author become friends?
3. Who goes to Bermuda with the author when he is a child and how does he describe their arrival in Bermuda?
4. How did the author's kids connect him with the outside world when they were small?
5. How did the author translate his hotel dream into his real life?
6. How do our other selves develop as explained in Part Two of "Telling Secrets?"
7. What events from the author's life most fit the title for Part Two of "Telling Secrets?"
8. Why does the author go to Bermuda as a child?
9. Besides complaints about him praying in his first class at Harvard, what other surprises did the author's students give him?
10. What did trying to help his daughter reveal to the author about his emotional state?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)