|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was "Now and Then" written?
2. What is the oldest part of the Tower of London?
(a) The White Tower.
(b) The Inner Ward.
(c) The Norman chapel.
(d) The Outer Ward.
3. In what year was "The Sacred Journey" written?
4. The author writes about his teaching experience at Harvard that "the danger of pluralism is that it becomes ______."
5. The author talks about English money weighing down his pockets; the heavy coppers, florins and __.
(b) Half Crowns.
(c) Threepenny bits.
(d) Pound Notes.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, besides himself, who else to some degree is like the White Tower?
2. How old was the author when he met his new best friend, Dudley Knott?
3. Which island shop had ceiling fans?
4. What does the author say we are constantly putting off and on like coats and hats against the world's weather?
5. Which was the employer of the driver who later gave the author the license plate with the encouraging word imprinted on it that the author saw passing on the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Naya?
2. How did the author translate his hotel dream into his real life?
3. What did the author expect in a Harvard teaching experience that he did not get when he actually taught at Harvard Divinity School?
4. How did the author feel about his kids once they were older and how did this affect his life once they left home as adults?
5. How do our other selves develop as explained in Part Two of "Telling Secrets?"
6. What did trying to help his daughter reveal to the author about his emotional state?
7. What events from the author's life most fit the title for Part Two of "Telling Secrets?"
8. What does the author tell us about his first two autobiographies?
9. Why does the author go to Bermuda as a child?
10. Who goes to Bermuda with the author when he is a child and how does he describe their arrival in Bermuda?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)