|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the author and his brother lived in _____ they had a nurse who dropped her teeth at will.
(a) New Jersey.
(d) Washington D.C.
2. "He who does not love remains in death" is quoted by the author from what book of the Bible?
(a) III John.
(b) II John.
(d) I John.
3. The author read the "Letters of the Scattered Brotherhood," written by _____.
(a) Mary Strong.
(b) Thomas Kelly.
(c) Noel Coward.
(d) Dorothy Parker.
4. In what year was the author's first novel published?
5. The author likens the way we scurry through life to ____, in how we keep busy, busy, ignoring the big things while small things loom large.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author what batters and shapes us in all sorts of ways?
2. Which was the employer of the driver who later gave the author the license plate with the encouraging word imprinted on it that the author saw passing on the road?
3. What illness did Dudley Knott battle just before the author met him and they became friends?
4. At theological seminary who became the author's father and brother in Christ?
5. In the White Tower what has an heavy oak door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides complaints about him praying in his first class at Harvard, what other surprises did the author's students give him?
2. Why did the author like having Dudley Knott as a friend?
3. Who is Naya?
4. Why does the author go to Bermuda as a child?
5. What did the author expect in a Harvard teaching experience that he did not get when he actually taught at Harvard Divinity School?
6. How did the author's kids connect him with the outside world when they were small?
7. How does the author connect his feelings to what he describes about the Tower in London?
8. What does the author describe about the Tower of London?
9. What events from the author's life most fit the title for Part Two of "Telling Secrets?"
10. What differences did the author write about among Union students as well as what they all shared?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)