|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The White Tower", the author describes his father as the young man in the gray slacks and maroon _______.
2. What type of lilies were grown commercially on the island, pre-WWI, as described by the author?
(a) Queen's Cup.
(b) Death Camas.
3. From what book of the Bible does the author quote a scripture passage in the beginning of Part Two of the book?"
4. The author writes about his teaching experience at Harvard that "the danger of pluralism is that it becomes ______."
5. Who bought the world and "home" back to the author each day?
(a) His books.
(b) His children.
(c) His wife.
(d) His writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that he has underlying questions, just like his sick daughter, about love, trust, fear, loss and _______.
2. How old was the author when he met his new best friend, Dudley Knott?
3. How many years after college graduation was the author ordained as a minister?
4. The author lists what he calls "real" art as painting, music, dance, and ______.
5. When the author and his brother lived in _____ they had a nurse who dropped her teeth at will.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the author's kids connect him with the outside world when they were small?
2. How do our other selves develop as explained in Part Two of "Telling Secrets?"
3. What differences did the author write about among Union students as well as what they all shared?
4. Why did the author like having Dudley Knott as a friend?
5. Why does the author describe Bermuda as enchanting?
6. What events from the author's life most fit the title for Part Two of "Telling Secrets?"
7. What did the author expect in a Harvard teaching experience that he did not get when he actually taught at Harvard Divinity School?
8. Besides complaints about him praying in his first class at Harvard, what other surprises did the author's students give him?
9. Who goes to Bermuda with the author when he is a child and how does he describe their arrival in Bermuda?
10. How did the author translate his hotel dream into his real life?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)