|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who made no new friends while living in New York for almost twenty years?
(a) Mrs. Buechner.
(b) Mrs. Frederick Buechner.
(c) The author's father.
(d) The author.
2. The author's mother lived to within how many days of her ninety-second birthday?
3. In describing what he learned after his father's death, what does the author consider a means of grace?
4. What is the title of the first autobiography written by the author?
(a) Telling Secrets.
(b) The Last Battle.
(c) The Sacred Journey.
(d) Now and Then.
5. How many years had the author been married by the mid 1970's?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 25 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 20 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. To the author's mother, being beautiful was her ______.
2. What does the author describe as the "living heart and command center" of his mother's room?
3. What is the title of the book written by Kahlil Gibran that is on the table next to the chaise lounge in the author's mother's room?
4. The author's sick daughter was more afraid of what than death?
5. In telling his father's story as a child, who does Teddy represent in this story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author feel like a dwarf as depicted in C. S. Lewis' "The Last Battle?"
2. How did author's mom respond to his fictionalized version of his father's death and how did her reaction to this fist telling affect the author's writing about the death later?
3. What did the author say he would deal with in this autobiography "Telling Secrets?"
4. What did the author deal with in first two autobiographies?
5. How is the author's story, our story?
6. How does the author describe his father's suicide?
7. How do ministers lose touch with God?
8. How did the author's mother's aging affect her life?
9. Why did the author's mother have so few friends as she got older?
10. What illness did the author's daughter have and how did it affect her?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)