|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the title of the lost book the author's mother hunted for in her room?
(a) Ansel Gibbs.
(b) Now and Then.
(c) The Last Battle.
(d) Les Malheurs de Sophie.
2. In what month during1936 did the author's father commit suicide?
3. Who refers to themselves as the "last rose of summer?"
(a) Mrs. Frederick Buechner.
(c) Dorothy Parker.
(d) Mrs. Buechner.
4. What was in the bowl on top of the bureau in the room of the author's mother?
(b) M & Ms.
5. What is the title of the first autobiography written by the author?
(a) The Last Battle.
(b) The Sacred Journey.
(c) Now and Then.
(d) Telling Secrets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the book the author wrote to tell the story of his father to a child?
2. After his father's suicide, where did the author's mom move the family?
3. What is the title of the book written by Kahlil Gibran that is on the table next to the chaise lounge in the author's mother's room?
4. The author likens his mother, in her later years, to a millionaire who what?
5. In what language is the dedication written in "Godric?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author connect his feelings to what he describes about the Tower in London?
2. How do our other selves develop as explained in Part Two of "Telling Secrets?"
3. What is the most sacred function of memory?
4. How does the author describe God loving us, and loving his daughter?
5. What is the setting of the author's dream about his mother?
6. What did the author say he would deal with in this autobiography "Telling Secrets?"
7. According to the author, how does memory help us finish with the past?
8. Besides complaints about him praying in his first class at Harvard, what other surprises did the author's students give him?
9. Why did the author feel like a dwarf as depicted in C. S. Lewis' "The Last Battle?"
10. When do Dudley Knott and the author become friends?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)