|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What title did the author write when he was in his fifties and his mom was in her eighties?
(a) Now and Then.
(b) The Sacred Journey.
(c) The Return of Ansel Gibbs.
(d) Telling Secrets.
2. What place did the author see as an act of God in his life that he paralleled to the entry into the Promised Land?
3. To the author's mother, being beautiful was her ______.
4. In the room of the author's mother what kind of magazines are on her chaise lounge?
(a) Home Making.
5. What was the name of the woman the author's mother had trouble understanding because of her thick accent?
Short Answer Questions
1. What renders distinctions between past, present and future meaningless, according to the author?
2. How old was the author when his father committed suicide?
3. According to the author, what is the doorway to healing and forgiveness?
4. When the author's sick daughter had to be hospitalized, how many miles away was she?
5. In the Introduction, the author tells us that this is his ___ venture into autobiography.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the author deal with in first two autobiographies?
2. What is the most sacred function of memory?
3. Why is the author telling his secrets?
4. What did the author say he would deal with in this autobiography "Telling Secrets?"
5. How did author's mom respond to his fictionalized version of his father's death and how did her reaction to this fist telling affect the author's writing about the death later?
6. Why did the author feel like a dwarf as depicted in C. S. Lewis' "The Last Battle?"
7. How is the author's story, our story?
8. What illness did the author's daughter have and how did it affect her?
9. How does the author describe his father's suicide?
10. How did the author's mother's aging affect her sons' lives?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)