|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author's mother lived to within how many days of her ninety-second birthday?
2. How many years had the author been married by the mid 1970's?
(a) 25 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 10 years.
3. What fell behind the radiator and required that the building superintendent come to retrieve it?
(a) The purse.
(b) The pillow.
(c) The cane.
(d) The fan.
4. In Part One of the book, what was not a tradition in the Buechner family in relation to death?
(a) Last rites.
5. As the author's mother aged, she complained about her looks, saying her hair looked like what?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the dwarves are offered food, what do they think it is?
2. What renders distinctions between past, present and future meaningless, according to the author?
3. In the Introduction, the author tells us that this is his ___ venture into autobiography.
4. In telling his father's story as a child, who does Teddy represent in this story?
5. What was the name of the woman who came nights but according to the author's mother was late because of the subway?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the author say he would deal with in this autobiography "Telling Secrets?"
2. How did the daughter being sick affect the author?
3. How does the author describe God loving us, and loving his daughter?
4. How is the author's story, our story?
5. How did author's mom respond to his fictionalized version of his father's death and how did her reaction to this fist telling affect the author's writing about the death later?
6. What illness did the author's daughter have and how did it affect her?
7. Why did the author feel like a dwarf as depicted in C. S. Lewis' "The Last Battle?"
8. How do ministers lose touch with God?
9. According to the author, how does memory help us finish with the past?
10. Why does the author write "The Wizard's Tide" and what differs in the book from his childhood memory of his father's death?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)