|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "For the last ____ years" of her life, the author's mother saw almost no one except immediate family.
2. What does the author describe as the "living heart and command center" of his mother's room?
(a) Dressing Table.
(d) Chaise Lounge.
3. What is the title of the book written by Kahlil Gibran that is on the table next to the chaise lounge in the author's mother's room?
(a) The Prophet.
(b) The Last Battle
(c) Les Malheurs de Sophie.
(d) Now and Then.
4. How many failed marriages did the author's mother have after his father died?
5. The author describes his sick daughter's behavior as a way of striking out to be what?
(a) In control.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month during1936 did the author's father commit suicide?
2. How old was the author when his mother made him feel like a traitor for writing the fictionalized "Ansel Gibbs" about his father's death?
3. What was the name of the woman the author's mother had trouble understanding because of her thick accent?
4. What was in the bowl on top of the bureau in the room of the author's mother?
5. Where were the ashes of the author's father buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the author's mother's aging affect her life?
2. Why does the author's perceptions about Florida change?
3. How did the daughter being sick affect the author?
4. Why does the author describe Bermuda as enchanting?
5. Why is the author exempt from the Wheaton College pledge?
6. Besides complaints about him praying in his first class at Harvard, what other surprises did the author's students give him?
7. How does the author connect his feelings to what he describes about the Tower in London?
8. Why does the preaching at St. Barnabas impress the author?
9. What did trying to help his daughter reveal to the author about his emotional state?
10. How are the basement groups closer to God's intent for a true family?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)