|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, what is the doorway to healing and forgiveness?
2. In what month during1936 did the author's father commit suicide?
3. The author likens his mother, in her later years, to a millionaire who what?
(a) Runs out of money.
(b) Hoardes money.
(c) Wants to help everyone.
(d) Has to get a job.
4. When the dwarves are offered food, what do they think it is?
5. What is the title of the book written by Kahlil Gibran that is on the table next to the chaise lounge in the author's mother's room?
(a) Les Malheurs de Sophie.
(b) The Last Battle
(c) The Prophet.
(d) Now and Then.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Introduction, the author tells us that this is his ___ venture into autobiography.
2. As the author's mother aged, she complained about her looks, saying her hair looked like what?
3. What is the title of the book the author wrote to tell the story of his father to a child?
4. How many failed marriages did the author's mother have after his father died?
5. The author's mother lived to within how many days of her ninety-second birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author, how does memory help us finish with the past?
2. Why is the author telling his secrets?
3. Why did the author feel like a dwarf as depicted in C. S. Lewis' "The Last Battle?"
4. How does the author describe his father's suicide?
5. How does the author describe God loving us, and loving his daughter?
6. How did the daughter being sick affect the author?
7. How do ministers lose touch with God?
8. How did the author's mother's aging affect her life?
9. Why does the author write "The Wizard's Tide" and what differs in the book from his childhood memory of his father's death?
10. How is the author's story, our story?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)