|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What title did the author write when he was in his fifties and his mom was in her eighties?
(a) Telling Secrets.
(b) The Sacred Journey.
(c) Now and Then.
(d) The Return of Ansel Gibbs.
2. The author likens his mother, in her later years, to a millionaire who what?
(a) Wants to help everyone.
(b) Has to get a job.
(c) Runs out of money.
(d) Hoardes money.
3. How old was the author when his father committed suicide?
4. What was the title of the lost book the author's mother hunted for in her room?
(a) The Last Battle.
(b) Ansel Gibbs.
(c) Les Malheurs de Sophie.
(d) Now and Then.
5. In telling his father's story as a child, who does Teddy represent in this story?
(a) The author's brother.
(b) The author's father.
(c) The author.
(d) The author's best friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many failed marriages did the author's mother have after his father died?
2. According to the author, what does God give us that helps us finish with the past and remove the power of the past to hurt us?
3. In the Introduction, what is the title of the book the author cites as dealing with the interior of his life?
4. To the author's mother, being beautiful was her ______.
5. According to the author, what is the doorway to healing and forgiveness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the author's mother's aging affect her life?
2. How do ministers lose touch with God?
3. Why did the author's mother have so few friends as she got older?
4. What did the author say he would deal with in this autobiography "Telling Secrets?"
5. How does the author describe his father's suicide?
6. What illness did the author's daughter have and how did it affect her?
7. What was on the stained glass pieces in the author's office?
8. Why did the author feel like a dwarf as depicted in C. S. Lewis' "The Last Battle?"
9. According to the author, how does memory help us finish with the past?
10. How did author's mom respond to his fictionalized version of his father's death and how did her reaction to this fist telling affect the author's writing about the death later?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)