|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who made no new friends while living in New York for almost twenty years?
(a) The author.
(b) Mrs. Frederick Buechner.
(c) The author's father.
(d) Mrs. Buechner.
2. How many failed marriages did the author's mother have after his father died?
3. In Part One of the book, what was not a tradition in the Buechner family in relation to death?
(c) Last rites.
4. Losing track of our "____," according to the author, means being impoverished humanly and spiritually.
5. In the mid 1970's, how may teenage children did the author have?
Short Answer Questions
1. As the author's mother aged, she complained about her looks, saying her hair looked like what?
2. In the Introduction, what is the title of the book the author cites as dealing with the interior of his life?
3. To the author's mother, being beautiful was her ______.
4. The author's mother's motto, translated from French is, "you have to ____ in order to be beautiful."
5. According to the author, what is the doorway to healing and forgiveness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the author put off by the Wheaton College pledge?
2. Why did the author feel like a dwarf as depicted in C. S. Lewis' "The Last Battle?"
3. What does dreaming about his mother help the author accomplish?
4. How did author's mom respond to his fictionalized version of his father's death and how did her reaction to this fist telling affect the author's writing about the death later?
5. Why does the author like his new therapist?
6. How did the author's kids connect him with the outside world when they were small?
7. How are the basement groups closer to God's intent for a true family?
8. How does the author connect his feelings to what he describes about the Tower in London?
9. According to the author, how does memory help us finish with the past?
10. Why is the church a dysfunctional family and how does the author suggest fixing this?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)