|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the woman the author's mother had trouble understanding because of her thick accent?
2. How old was the author when his father committed suicide?
3. What is the title of the book written by Kahlil Gibran that is on the table next to the chaise lounge in the author's mother's room?
(a) Les Malheurs de Sophie.
(b) Now and Then.
(c) The Prophet.
(d) The Last Battle
4. What condition made it almost impossible for the author's mom to walk during her last year of life?
(a) Arthritic knees.
(b) Severely bowed-legs.
(c) Fractured foot.
5. How many years after his father's suicide did the author write "The Return of Ansel Gibbs?"
Short Answer Questions
1. "For the last ____ years" of her life, the author's mother saw almost no one except immediate family.
2. In "The Last Battle", who stoops and touches the dwarves with his tongue?
3. What was the title of the lost book the author's mother hunted for in her room?
4. Who tends to more publicly lose touch with themselves and with God, according to the author?
5. Three acts of God mentioned by the author that appear in scripture are the Exodus, the ___, and the entry into the Promised Land.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the author deal with in first two autobiographies?
2. What is the most sacred function of memory?
3. Why is the author telling his secrets?
4. What was on the stained glass pieces in the author's office?
5. Describe the author's mother's bedroom in her 79th street apartment.
6. How did the author's mother's aging affect her sons' lives?
7. Why/how does the author identify with one of the stained glass images?
8. Why did the author's mother have so few friends as she got older?
9. How did the daughter being sick affect the author?
10. How does the author describe his father's suicide?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)