|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years after his father's suicide did the author write "The Return of Ansel Gibbs?"
2. On what street was the apartment in which the author's mother died?
3. What place did the author see as an act of God in his life that he paralleled to the entry into the Promised Land?
4. According to the author, what is the doorway to healing and forgiveness?
5. In complaining about her looks, what did the author's mother say "don't fit?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What was in the bowl on top of the bureau in the room of the author's mother?
2. What was the title of the lost book the author's mother hunted for in her room?
3. What renders distinctions between past, present and future meaningless, according to the author?
4. In the room of the author's mother what kind of magazines are on her chaise lounge?
5. Three acts of God mentioned by the author that appear in scripture are the Exodus, the ___, and the entry into the Promised Land.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author tell us about his first two autobiographies?
2. What does dreaming about his mother help the author accomplish?
3. How does the author say God speaks to us in silence?
4. How do our other selves develop as explained in Part Two of "Telling Secrets?"
5. Why is the author drawn to St. Barnabas?
6. What dream did the author have about a hotel?
7. According to the author, how does memory help us finish with the past?
8. Why did the author like having Dudley Knott as a friend?
9. What techniques does the author use to help him say good-bye to his father?
10. Why is the church a dysfunctional family and how does the author suggest fixing this?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)