|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "He who does not love remains in death" is quoted by the author from what book of the Bible?
(a) I John.
(b) III John.
(c) II John.
2. The author dreamed about a hotel where the desk clerk told him the name of the room to which he wanted to return is called what?
3. How old was the author when he met his new best friend, Dudley Knott?
4. In what year was "Now and Then" written?
5. How many years after attending theological seminary did the author started teaching at Harvard?
6. What Shakespeare reading assignment was objected to by the author's feminist students?
(a) King Lear.
(b) A Midsummer Night's Dream.
7. What rubber doll did Dudley Knott carry with him everywhere?
8. In what year was "The Sacred Journey" written?
9. What did Knights of the Order of the Bath keep an all night vigil over the day before a king's coronation?
(a) Their armor.
(b) Their guests.
(c) Their prisoners.
(d) Their food.
10. What room in the White Tower measures only four feet high?
(a) Chapel St. John.
(b) The Inner Ward.
(c) Little Ease.
(d) The Outer Ward.
11. Which was the employer of the driver who later gave the author the license plate with the encouraging word imprinted on it that the author saw passing on the road?
(a) A church.
(b) A hospital.
(c) A bank.
(d) A school.
12. What is Dudley Knott's wife's name?
13. According to the author what batters and shapes us in all sorts of ways?
(b) Our memories.
(c) Our parents.
14. Who built the White Tower?
(a) William the Conqueror.
(b) Alfred the Great.
(c) Richard the Lionheart.
(d) Canute the Great.
15. What hymn did the old nurse teach the author and his young brother?
(a) The Old Rugged Cross.
(b) Amazing Grace.
(c) Battle Hymn of the Republic.
(d) What A Friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of lilies were grown commercially on the island, pre-WWI, as described by the author?
2. The author lists what he calls "real" art as painting, music, dance, and ______.
3. The scripture passage in the beginning of Part Two of the book says that we were created in the likeness and image of who?
4. Where did the author go to wait with a friend who got news about a family accident?
5. From what book of the Bible does the author quote a scripture passage in the beginning of Part Two of the book?"
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)