|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dudley Knott's wife's name?
2. What illness did Dudley Knott battle just before the author met him and they became friends?
(a) Prostate Cancer.
(c) Lung Cancer.
(d) Parkinson's Disease.
3. "The Power and the Glory" dealt with what country in the 1930s?
(a) United States.
(b) South Africa.
4. The author's maternal grandmother was half old ____ and and half French-Swiss.
(c) New England.
5. What is the Little Ease?
(a) A dungeon.
(b) A chapel.
(c) A palace.
(d) A throne room.
6. Which island shop had ceiling fans?
(d) Phoenix Drugstore.
7. What does the author say we are constantly putting off and on like coats and hats against the world's weather?
8. In what year did the author's sick daughter finally graduate college?
9. The author states that he has underlying questions, just like his sick daughter, about love, trust, fear, loss and _______.
10. What rubber doll did Dudley Knott carry with him everywhere?
11. According to the author, about how old is the the Chapel of St. John?
(a) 1,200 years.
(b) 450 years.
(c) 1,000 years.
(d) 500 years.
12. What type of cedar trees does the author describe, as a smell of "the island?"
(a) Eastern Red.
(d) Western Red.
13. At theological seminary who became the author's father and brother in Christ?
(a) Robert Macafee Brown.
(b) Paul Tillich.
(c) John Knox.
(d) James Muilenburg.
14. How old was the author when he met his new best friend, Dudley Knott?
15. Who built the White Tower?
(a) Canute the Great.
(b) William the Conqueror.
(c) Richard the Lionheart.
(d) Alfred the Great.
Short Answer Questions
1. In relation to the White Tower, where does the author say he spent many of his dark days?
2. In what year was "Now and Then" written?
3. Where did the author go to wait with a friend who got news about a family accident?
4. The author writes about his teaching experience at Harvard that "the danger of pluralism is that it becomes ______."
5. The author lists what he calls "real" art as painting, music, dance, and ______.
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)