|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness did Dudley Knott battle just before the author met him and they became friends?
(a) Lung Cancer.
(b) Prostate Cancer.
(c) Parkinson's Disease.
2. Where did the author go to wait with a friend who got news about a family accident?
(a) Bus station.
(c) His home.
(d) Train station.
3. Who bought the world and "home" back to the author each day?
(a) His books.
(b) His writing.
(c) His children.
(d) His wife.
4. In what war was Dudley Knott a naval officer?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Hundred Years War.
(c) The Great War.
(d) Vietnam War.
5. The author also read "A Testament of Devotion," written by _____.
(a) Dorothy Parker.
(b) Mary Strong.
(c) Noel Coward.
(d) Thomas Kelly.
6. In the 1950s, the author attended theological seminary in what city?
(a) Jersey City.
(b) New York.
7. The author's maternal grandmother was half old ____ and and half French-Swiss.
(d) New England.
8. What room in the White Tower measures only four feet high?
(a) The Outer Ward.
(b) The Inner Ward.
(c) Chapel St. John.
(d) Little Ease.
9. In "The White Tower", the author describes his father as the young man in the gray slacks and maroon _______.
10. In relation to the White Tower, where does the author say he spent many of his dark days?
(a) In Little Ease.
(b) On the Tower Watch.
(c) In the Outer Ward.
(d) In the Chapel.
11. The scripture passage in the beginning of Part Two of the book says that we were created in the likeness and image of who?
12. The author read the "Letters of the Scattered Brotherhood," written by _____.
(a) Noel Coward.
(b) Dorothy Parker.
(c) Mary Strong.
(d) Thomas Kelly.
13. According to the author, about how old is the the Chapel of St. John?
(a) 500 years.
(b) 1,200 years.
(c) 450 years.
(d) 1,000 years.
14. What Shakespeare reading assignment was objected to by the author's feminist students?
(c) King Lear.
(d) A Midsummer Night's Dream.
15. What hymn did the old nurse teach the author and his young brother?
(a) Amazing Grace.
(b) The Old Rugged Cross.
(c) Battle Hymn of the Republic.
(d) What A Friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. At theological seminary who became the author's father and brother in Christ?
2. The author talks about English money weighing down his pockets; the heavy coppers, florins and __.
3. What rubber doll did Dudley Knott carry with him everywhere?
4. What is the Little Ease?
5. Which was the employer of the driver who later gave the author the license plate with the encouraging word imprinted on it that the author saw passing on the road?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)