|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the author go to wait with a friend who got news about a family accident?
(b) Bus station.
(c) His home.
(d) Train station.
2. Who bought the world and "home" back to the author each day?
(a) His wife.
(b) His books.
(c) His writing.
(d) His children.
3. Who wrote "The Man Who Was Thursday?"
(a) The author.
(b) Thomas Kelly.
(c) G.K. Chesterton.
(d) Noel Coward.
4. In "The White Tower", the author describes his father as the young man in the gray slacks and maroon _______.
5. In what year did the author accept an invitation to teach at Harvard Divinity School?
6. What type of cedar trees does the author describe, as a smell of "the island?"
(a) Eastern Red.
(b) Western Red.
7. What place of torment eventually becomes home if you live there long enough, according to the author?
(a) The White Tower.
(b) The Past.
(c) Little Ease.
(d) Your mind.
8. What Shakespeare reading assignment was objected to by the author's feminist students?
(b) King Lear.
(d) A Midsummer Night's Dream.
9. What is on the second floor of the White Tower?
(a) The Tower Watch.
(b) The Innermost Ward.
(c) Little Ease.
(d) The Chapel of St. John.
10. What hymn did the old nurse teach the author and his young brother?
(a) Battle Hymn of the Republic.
(b) The Old Rugged Cross.
(c) Amazing Grace.
(d) What A Friend.
11. How many years after college graduation was the author ordained as a minister?
12. From what book of the Bible does the author quote a scripture passage in the beginning of Part Two of the book?"
13. In what year was "The Sacred Journey" written?
14. In what year was the author's first novel published?
15. The author writes about how he cannot preach about ____, after an atheist student tells him she and others do not believe in God.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sitting on the side road, depressed about his sick child, what encouraging word did the author read on the license plate of a passing vehicle?
2. The author talks about English money weighing down his pockets; the heavy coppers, florins and __.
3. In what year did the author's sick daughter finally graduate college?
4. According to the author, what could you buy in the island shop called Trimingham's?
5. In relation to the White Tower, where does the author say he spent many of his dark days?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)