|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What place of torment eventually becomes home if you live there long enough, according to the author?
(a) Your mind.
(b) Little Ease.
(c) The White Tower.
(d) The Past.
2. In what year was "Now and Then" written?
3. In what year was "The Sacred Journey" written?
4. "The Power and the Glory" dealt with what country in the 1930s?
(a) South Africa.
(d) United States.
5. In what war was Dudley Knott a naval officer?
(a) The Hundred Years War.
(b) The Great War.
(c) World War II.
(d) Vietnam War.
6. When the author asked another of his atheist students what he have faith in, the student replied he had faith in ____.
7. Who built the White Tower?
(a) Canute the Great.
(b) Alfred the Great.
(c) Richard the Lionheart.
(d) William the Conqueror.
8. How many years after college graduation was the author ordained as a minister?
9. According to the author, what could you buy in the island shop called Trimingham's?
10. The author states that he has underlying questions, just like his sick daughter, about love, trust, fear, loss and _______.
11. According to the author what batters and shapes us in all sorts of ways?
(a) Our parents.
(d) Our memories.
12. In what year did the author accept an invitation to teach at Harvard Divinity School?
13. The author writes about his teaching experience at Harvard that "the danger of pluralism is that it becomes ______."
14. "He who does not love remains in death" is quoted by the author from what book of the Bible?
(a) II John.
(b) I John.
(c) III John.
15. What did Knights of the Order of the Bath keep an all night vigil over the day before a king's coronation?
(a) Their prisoners.
(b) Their armor.
(c) Their guests.
(d) Their food.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author's maternal grandmother was half old ____ and and half French-Swiss.
2. According to the author, besides himself, who else to some degree is like the White Tower?
3. Who bought the world and "home" back to the author each day?
4. What college did the author graduate from before being ordained as a minister?
5. The author lists what he calls "real" art as painting, music, dance, and ______.
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)