|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, about how old is the the Chapel of St. John?
(a) 450 years.
(b) 1,000 years.
(c) 500 years.
(d) 1,200 years.
2. What type of lilies were grown commercially on the island, pre-WWI, as described by the author?
(b) Queen's Cup.
(c) Death Camas.
3. What color was the house the author and his family lived in on the island, in a town called Paget?
4. The author's maternal grandmother was half old ____ and and half French-Swiss.
(c) New England.
5. When the author asked another of his atheist students what he have faith in, the student replied he had faith in ____.
6. The scripture passage in the beginning of Part Two of the book says that we were created in the likeness and image of who?
7. "The Power and the Glory" dealt with what country in the 1930s?
(a) South Africa.
(c) United States.
8. Which island shop had ceiling fans?
(c) Phoenix Drugstore.
9. Which was the employer of the driver who later gave the author the license plate with the encouraging word imprinted on it that the author saw passing on the road?
(a) A bank.
(b) A school.
(c) A church.
(d) A hospital.
10. According to the author, what could you buy in the island shop called Trimingham's?
11. The author states that he has underlying questions, just like his sick daughter, about love, trust, fear, loss and _______.
12. The author also read "A Testament of Devotion," written by _____.
(a) Mary Strong.
(b) Dorothy Parker.
(c) Thomas Kelly.
(d) Noel Coward.
13. How old was the author when he met his new best friend, Dudley Knott?
14. What hymn did the old nurse teach the author and his young brother?
(a) Amazing Grace.
(b) Battle Hymn of the Republic.
(c) What A Friend.
(d) The Old Rugged Cross.
15. What is Dudley Knott's wife's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the author's maternal grandmother?
2. How many years after attending theological seminary did the author started teaching at Harvard?
3. What is the oldest part of the Tower of London?
4. The author lists what he calls "real" art as painting, music, dance, and ______.
5. According to the author, besides himself, who else to some degree is like the White Tower?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)