|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the oldest part of the Tower of London?
(a) The White Tower.
(b) The Inner Ward.
(c) The Norman chapel.
(d) The Outer Ward.
2. What place of torment eventually becomes home if you live there long enough, according to the author?
(a) Little Ease.
(b) The White Tower.
(c) Your mind.
(d) The Past.
3. In what year did the author's sick daughter finally graduate college?
4. What college did the author graduate from before being ordained as a minister?
5. At theological seminary who became the author's father and brother in Christ?
(a) Paul Tillich.
(b) Robert Macafee Brown.
(c) John Knox.
(d) James Muilenburg.
6. In what year was "Now and Then" written?
7. What rubber doll did Dudley Knott carry with him everywhere?
8. In what war was Dudley Knott a naval officer?
(a) The Hundred Years War.
(b) Vietnam War.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Great War.
9. What type of cedar trees does the author describe, as a smell of "the island?"
(b) Western Red.
(c) Eastern Red.
10. What hymn did the old nurse teach the author and his young brother?
(a) The Old Rugged Cross.
(b) Amazing Grace.
(c) What A Friend.
(d) Battle Hymn of the Republic.
11. What type of lilies were grown commercially on the island, pre-WWI, as described by the author?
(a) Queen's Cup.
(d) Death Camas.
12. What was the name of the author's maternal grandmother?
13. What Shakespeare reading assignment was objected to by the author's feminist students?
(a) A Midsummer Night's Dream.
(c) King Lear.
14. According to the author, what could you buy in the island shop called Trimingham's?
15. What is on the second floor of the White Tower?
(a) The Innermost Ward.
(b) Little Ease.
(c) The Chapel of St. John.
(d) The Tower Watch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say we are constantly putting off and on like coats and hats against the world's weather?
2. According to the author, about how old is the the Chapel of St. John?
3. In relation to the White Tower, where does the author say he spent many of his dark days?
4. How old was the author when he met his new best friend, Dudley Knott?
5. What room in the White Tower measures only four feet high?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)