|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness did Dudley Knott battle just before the author met him and they became friends?
(b) Parkinson's Disease.
(c) Prostate Cancer.
(d) Lung Cancer.
2. In Part Two, the author describes his memory of the color of the shallows in the Gulf Stream on the island as ___.
3. What does the author say we are constantly putting off and on like coats and hats against the world's weather?
4. When the author and his brother lived in _____ they had a nurse who dropped her teeth at will.
(a) Washington D.C.
(c) New Jersey.
5. What place of torment eventually becomes home if you live there long enough, according to the author?
(a) Your mind.
(b) The White Tower.
(c) The Past.
(d) Little Ease.
6. What Shakespeare reading assignment was objected to by the author's feminist students?
(a) A Midsummer Night's Dream.
(c) King Lear.
7. According to the author, besides himself, who else to some degree is like the White Tower?
(a) His mother.
(b) His sick child.
(c) His father.
(d) We are.
8. What college did the author graduate from before being ordained as a minister?
9. The author dreamed about a hotel where the desk clerk told him the name of the room to which he wanted to return is called what?
10. Who bought the world and "home" back to the author each day?
(a) His wife.
(b) His books.
(c) His writing.
(d) His children.
11. Who wrote "The Man Who Was Thursday?"
(a) Noel Coward.
(b) G.K. Chesterton.
(c) The author.
(d) Thomas Kelly.
12. What room in the White Tower measures only four feet high?
(a) The Outer Ward.
(b) The Inner Ward.
(c) Chapel St. John.
(d) Little Ease.
13. In what year was the author's first novel published?
14. What type of cedar trees does the author describe, as a smell of "the island?"
(a) Western Red.
(c) Eastern Red.
15. What type of lilies were grown commercially on the island, pre-WWI, as described by the author?
(c) Queen's Cup.
(d) Death Camas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hymn did the old nurse teach the author and his young brother?
2. "The Power and the Glory" dealt with what country in the 1930s?
3. According to the author, about how old is the the Chapel of St. John?
4. What is Dudley Knott's wife's name?
5. At theological seminary who became the author's father and brother in Christ?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)