|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hymn did the old nurse teach the author and his young brother?
(a) The Old Rugged Cross.
(b) Amazing Grace.
(c) What A Friend.
(d) Battle Hymn of the Republic.
2. How many years after college graduation was the author ordained as a minister?
3. When the author asked another of his atheist students what he have faith in, the student replied he had faith in ____.
4. "He who does not love remains in death" is quoted by the author from what book of the Bible?
(a) II John.
(b) III John.
(d) I John.
5. The author's maternal grandmother was half old ____ and and half French-Swiss.
(a) New England.
6. What room in the White Tower measures only four feet high?
(a) Little Ease.
(b) Chapel St. John.
(c) The Inner Ward.
(d) The Outer Ward.
7. From what book of the Bible does the author quote a scripture passage in the beginning of Part Two of the book?"
8. The scripture passage in the beginning of Part Two of the book says that we were created in the likeness and image of who?
9. In what year was "Now and Then" written?
10. When the author and his brother lived in _____ they had a nurse who dropped her teeth at will.
(b) New Jersey.
(d) Washington D.C.
11. In Part Two, the author describes his memory of the color of the shallows in the Gulf Stream on the island as ___.
12. What is the Little Ease?
(a) A throne room.
(b) A palace.
(c) A chapel.
(d) A dungeon.
13. What is on the second floor of the White Tower?
(a) The Innermost Ward.
(b) The Chapel of St. John.
(c) Little Ease.
(d) The Tower Watch.
14. The author talks about English money weighing down his pockets; the heavy coppers, florins and __.
(a) Pound Notes.
(c) Threepenny bits.
(d) Half Crowns.
15. Sitting on the side road, depressed about his sick child, what encouraging word did the author read on the license plate of a passing vehicle?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of lilies were grown commercially on the island, pre-WWI, as described by the author?
2. The author states that he has underlying questions, just like his sick daughter, about love, trust, fear, loss and _______.
3. At theological seminary who became the author's father and brother in Christ?
4. "The Power and the Glory" dealt with what country in the 1930s?
5. What college did the author graduate from before being ordained as a minister?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)