|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of lilies were grown commercially on the island, pre-WWI, as described by the author?
(a) Queen's Cup.
(d) Death Camas.
2. From what book of the Bible does the author quote a scripture passage in the beginning of Part Two of the book?"
3. In relation to the White Tower, where does the author say he spent many of his dark days?
(a) In the Outer Ward.
(b) In the Chapel.
(c) In Little Ease.
(d) On the Tower Watch.
4. Where did the author go to wait with a friend who got news about a family accident?
(a) His home.
(c) Train station.
(d) Bus station.
5. The author read the "Letters of the Scattered Brotherhood," written by _____.
(a) Thomas Kelly.
(b) Dorothy Parker.
(c) Mary Strong.
(d) Noel Coward.
6. In what year did the author accept an invitation to teach at Harvard Divinity School?
7. Which was the employer of the driver who later gave the author the license plate with the encouraging word imprinted on it that the author saw passing on the road?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A church.
(c) A school.
(d) A bank.
8. What is Dudley Knott's wife's name?
9. The author dreamed about a hotel where the desk clerk told him the name of the room to which he wanted to return is called what?
10. According to the author, besides himself, who else to some degree is like the White Tower?
(a) His father.
(b) We are.
(c) His sick child.
(d) His mother.
11. In "The White Tower", the author describes his father as the young man in the gray slacks and maroon _______.
12. What does the author say we are constantly putting off and on like coats and hats against the world's weather?
13. The scripture passage in the beginning of Part Two of the book says that we were created in the likeness and image of who?
14. How many years after attending theological seminary did the author started teaching at Harvard?
15. What is the oldest part of the Tower of London?
(a) The Outer Ward.
(b) The Inner Ward.
(c) The Norman chapel.
(d) The White Tower.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author likens the way we scurry through life to ____, in how we keep busy, busy, ignoring the big things while small things loom large.
2. The author's maternal grandmother was half old ____ and and half French-Swiss.
3. When the author and his brother lived in _____ they had a nurse who dropped her teeth at will.
4. According to the author, about how old is the the Chapel of St. John?
5. What type of cedar trees does the author describe, as a smell of "the island?"
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)