|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the White Tower what has an heavy oak door?
(a) The Outer Ward.
(b) The Norman chapel.
(c) The palace.
(d) Little Ease.
2. According to the author what batters and shapes us in all sorts of ways?
(b) Our parents.
(c) Our memories.
3. The author states that he has underlying questions, just like his sick daughter, about love, trust, fear, loss and _______.
4. When the author and his brother lived in _____ they had a nurse who dropped her teeth at will.
(a) Washington D.C.
(d) New Jersey.
5. How many years after college graduation was the author ordained as a minister?
6. What type of lilies were grown commercially on the island, pre-WWI, as described by the author?
(c) Death Camas.
(d) Queen's Cup.
7. The author also read "A Testament of Devotion," written by _____.
(a) Thomas Kelly.
(b) Mary Strong.
(c) Noel Coward.
(d) Dorothy Parker.
8. What did Knights of the Order of the Bath keep an all night vigil over the day before a king's coronation?
(a) Their food.
(b) Their guests.
(c) Their armor.
(d) Their prisoners.
9. In what year did the author accept an invitation to teach at Harvard Divinity School?
10. What Shakespeare reading assignment was objected to by the author's feminist students?
(a) A Midsummer Night's Dream.
(c) King Lear.
11. In what year did the author's sick daughter finally graduate college?
12. The author dreamed about a hotel where the desk clerk told him the name of the room to which he wanted to return is called what?
13. Who bought the world and "home" back to the author each day?
(a) His wife.
(b) His writing.
(c) His children.
(d) His books.
14. What illness did Dudley Knott battle just before the author met him and they became friends?
(b) Prostate Cancer.
(c) Lung Cancer.
(d) Parkinson's Disease.
15. In Part Two, the author describes his memory of the color of the shallows in the Gulf Stream on the island as ___.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, about how old is the the Chapel of St. John?
2. Who wrote "The Power and the Glory?"
3. What place of torment eventually becomes home if you live there long enough, according to the author?
4. In what war was Dudley Knott a naval officer?
5. "The Power and the Glory" dealt with what country in the 1930s?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)