|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what war was Dudley Knott a naval officer?
(a) World War II.
(b) Vietnam War.
(c) The Great War.
(d) The Hundred Years War.
2. Which island shop had ceiling fans?
(c) Phoenix Drugstore.
3. At theological seminary who became the author's father and brother in Christ?
(a) James Muilenburg.
(b) Robert Macafee Brown.
(c) John Knox.
(d) Paul Tillich.
4. In "The White Tower", the author describes his father as the young man in the gray slacks and maroon _______.
5. The author's maternal grandmother was half old ____ and and half French-Swiss.
(d) New England.
6. What is on the second floor of the White Tower?
(a) The Chapel of St. John.
(b) The Innermost Ward.
(c) Little Ease.
(d) The Tower Watch.
7. In what year did the author's sick daughter finally graduate college?
8. The author writes about his teaching experience at Harvard that "the danger of pluralism is that it becomes ______."
9. The author states that he has underlying questions, just like his sick daughter, about love, trust, fear, loss and _______.
10. The author likens the way we scurry through life to ____, in how we keep busy, busy, ignoring the big things while small things loom large.
11. What is the Little Ease?
(a) A chapel.
(b) A throne room.
(c) A dungeon.
(d) A palace.
12. Sitting on the side road, depressed about his sick child, what encouraging word did the author read on the license plate of a passing vehicle?
13. In what year was "The Sacred Journey" written?
14. In what year was the author's first novel published?
15. What color was the house the author and his family lived in on the island, in a town called Paget?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what could you buy in the island shop called Trimingham's?
2. How many years after college graduation was the author ordained as a minister?
3. How many years after attending theological seminary did the author started teaching at Harvard?
4. What was the name of the author's maternal grandmother?
5. Who bought the world and "home" back to the author each day?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)