|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is on the second floor of the White Tower?
(a) Little Ease.
(b) The Tower Watch.
(c) The Chapel of St. John.
(d) The Innermost Ward.
2. What rubber doll did Dudley Knott carry with him everywhere?
3. Who built the White Tower?
(a) Richard the Lionheart.
(b) William the Conqueror.
(c) Canute the Great.
(d) Alfred the Great.
4. The author likens the way we scurry through life to ____, in how we keep busy, busy, ignoring the big things while small things loom large.
5. According to the author what batters and shapes us in all sorts of ways?
(b) Our parents.
(d) Our memories.
6. "The Power and the Glory" dealt with what country in the 1930s?
(a) South Africa.
(c) United States.
7. In what war was Dudley Knott a naval officer?
(a) World War II.
(b) Vietnam War.
(c) The Hundred Years War.
(d) The Great War.
8. According to the author, besides himself, who else to some degree is like the White Tower?
(a) We are.
(b) His father.
(c) His sick child.
(d) His mother.
9. According to the author, what could you buy in the island shop called Trimingham's?
10. The author writes about how he cannot preach about ____, after an atheist student tells him she and others do not believe in God.
11. When the author asked another of his atheist students what he have faith in, the student replied he had faith in ____.
12. The author states that he has underlying questions, just like his sick daughter, about love, trust, fear, loss and _______.
13. In the White Tower what has an heavy oak door?
(a) The Outer Ward.
(b) The Norman chapel.
(c) Little Ease.
(d) The palace.
14. How many years after college graduation was the author ordained as a minister?
15. "He who does not love remains in death" is quoted by the author from what book of the Bible?
(a) III John.
(c) I John.
(d) II John.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who bought the world and "home" back to the author each day?
2. In Part Two, the author describes his memory of the color of the shallows in the Gulf Stream on the island as ___.
3. The author dreamed about a hotel where the desk clerk told him the name of the room to which he wanted to return is called what?
4. How old was the author when he met his new best friend, Dudley Knott?
5. What room in the White Tower measures only four feet high?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)