|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the 1950s, the author attended theological seminary in what city?
(a) Jersey City.
(c) New York.
2. What did Knights of the Order of the Bath keep an all night vigil over the day before a king's coronation?
(a) Their prisoners.
(b) Their guests.
(c) Their armor.
(d) Their food.
3. At theological seminary who became the author's father and brother in Christ?
(a) John Knox.
(b) Robert Macafee Brown.
(c) Paul Tillich.
(d) James Muilenburg.
4. What is the oldest part of the Tower of London?
(a) The Norman chapel.
(b) The White Tower.
(c) The Outer Ward.
(d) The Inner Ward.
5. What type of cedar trees does the author describe, as a smell of "the island?"
(a) Eastern Red.
(c) Western Red.
6. The author writes about how he cannot preach about ____, after an atheist student tells him she and others do not believe in God.
7. What is Dudley Knott's wife's name?
8. In what year did the author accept an invitation to teach at Harvard Divinity School?
9. How many years after attending theological seminary did the author started teaching at Harvard?
10. Who bought the world and "home" back to the author each day?
(a) His wife.
(b) His children.
(c) His writing.
(d) His books.
11. What place of torment eventually becomes home if you live there long enough, according to the author?
(a) The White Tower.
(b) Your mind.
(c) The Past.
(d) Little Ease.
12. According to the author, besides himself, who else to some degree is like the White Tower?
(a) His father.
(b) His sick child.
(c) His mother.
(d) We are.
13. What illness did Dudley Knott battle just before the author met him and they became friends?
(a) Parkinson's Disease.
(b) Prostate Cancer.
(d) Lung Cancer.
14. In what year did the author's sick daughter finally graduate college?
15. What was the name of the author's maternal grandmother?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what war was Dudley Knott a naval officer?
2. The author read the "Letters of the Scattered Brotherhood," written by _____.
3. The scripture passage in the beginning of Part Two of the book says that we were created in the likeness and image of who?
4. In "The White Tower", the author describes his father as the young man in the gray slacks and maroon _______.
5. According to the author what batters and shapes us in all sorts of ways?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)