|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author states that he has underlying questions, just like his sick daughter, about love, trust, fear, loss and _______.
2. The author writes about how he cannot preach about ____, after an atheist student tells him she and others do not believe in God.
3. The author talks about English money weighing down his pockets; the heavy coppers, florins and __.
(a) Pound Notes.
(b) Half Crowns.
(c) Threepenny bits.
4. Where did the author go to wait with a friend who got news about a family accident?
(b) Train station.
(c) His home.
(d) Bus station.
5. At theological seminary who became the author's father and brother in Christ?
(a) James Muilenburg.
(b) Paul Tillich.
(c) John Knox.
(d) Robert Macafee Brown.
6. The author likens the way we scurry through life to ____, in how we keep busy, busy, ignoring the big things while small things loom large.
7. Which was the employer of the driver who later gave the author the license plate with the encouraging word imprinted on it that the author saw passing on the road?
(a) A bank.
(b) A church.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A school.
8. The author also read "A Testament of Devotion," written by _____.
(a) Thomas Kelly.
(b) Noel Coward.
(c) Mary Strong.
(d) Dorothy Parker.
9. "He who does not love remains in death" is quoted by the author from what book of the Bible?
(a) I John.
(b) III John.
(c) II John.
10. How many years after college graduation was the author ordained as a minister?
11. How old was the author when he met his new best friend, Dudley Knott?
12. According to the author, besides himself, who else to some degree is like the White Tower?
(a) We are.
(b) His father.
(c) His sick child.
(d) His mother.
13. In what year was "Now and Then" written?
14. From what book of the Bible does the author quote a scripture passage in the beginning of Part Two of the book?"
15. According to the author what batters and shapes us in all sorts of ways?
(a) Our parents.
(d) Our memories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the second floor of the White Tower?
2. The author's maternal grandmother was half old ____ and and half French-Swiss.
3. In relation to the White Tower, where does the author say he spent many of his dark days?
4. According to the author, about how old is the the Chapel of St. John?
5. Who bought the world and "home" back to the author each day?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)