|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author states that he has underlying questions, just like his sick daughter, about love, trust, fear, loss and _______.
2. According to the author, besides himself, who else to some degree is like the White Tower?
(a) His sick child.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) We are.
3. In what year did the author's sick daughter finally graduate college?
4. In what war was Dudley Knott a naval officer?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Hundred Years War.
(c) Vietnam War.
(d) The Great War.
5. Which was the employer of the driver who later gave the author the license plate with the encouraging word imprinted on it that the author saw passing on the road?
(a) A bank.
(b) A church.
(c) A school.
(d) A hospital.
6. The author writes about his teaching experience at Harvard that "the danger of pluralism is that it becomes ______."
7. What does the author say we are constantly putting off and on like coats and hats against the world's weather?
8. What did Knights of the Order of the Bath keep an all night vigil over the day before a king's coronation?
(a) Their food.
(b) Their armor.
(c) Their guests.
(d) Their prisoners.
9. From what book of the Bible does the author quote a scripture passage in the beginning of Part Two of the book?"
10. What is Dudley Knott's wife's name?
11. Who built the White Tower?
(a) William the Conqueror.
(b) Richard the Lionheart.
(c) Canute the Great.
(d) Alfred the Great.
12. Where did the author go to wait with a friend who got news about a family accident?
(a) Train station.
(b) His home.
(c) Bus station.
13. What is on the second floor of the White Tower?
(a) The Tower Watch.
(b) Little Ease.
(c) The Innermost Ward.
(d) The Chapel of St. John.
14. When the author and his brother lived in _____ they had a nurse who dropped her teeth at will.
(a) New Jersey.
(b) Washington D.C.
15. In the 1950s, the author attended theological seminary in what city?
(c) Jersey City.
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness did Dudley Knott battle just before the author met him and they became friends?
2. "He who does not love remains in death" is quoted by the author from what book of the Bible?
3. According to the author, what could you buy in the island shop called Trimingham's?
4. What was the name of the author's maternal grandmother?
5. What place of torment eventually becomes home if you live there long enough, according to the author?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)