|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was "The Sacred Journey" written?
2. In what year was "Now and Then" written?
3. What type of cedar trees does the author describe, as a smell of "the island?"
(a) Western Red.
(c) Eastern Red.
4. Where did the author go to wait with a friend who got news about a family accident?
(a) His home.
(b) Bus station.
(c) Train station.
5. What is the Little Ease?
(a) A palace.
(b) A dungeon.
(c) A chapel.
(d) A throne room.
6. In the 1950s, the author attended theological seminary in what city?
(c) Jersey City.
(d) New York.
7. The author's maternal grandmother was half old ____ and and half French-Swiss.
(c) New England.
8. What room in the White Tower measures only four feet high?
(a) The Outer Ward.
(b) Chapel St. John.
(c) Little Ease.
(d) The Inner Ward.
9. Which island shop had ceiling fans?
(b) Phoenix Drugstore.
10. The author states that he has underlying questions, just like his sick daughter, about love, trust, fear, loss and _______.
11. The author writes about how he cannot preach about ____, after an atheist student tells him she and others do not believe in God.
12. What did Knights of the Order of the Bath keep an all night vigil over the day before a king's coronation?
(a) Their guests.
(b) Their prisoners.
(c) Their armor.
(d) Their food.
13. In what war was Dudley Knott a naval officer?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Hundred Years War.
(c) Vietnam War.
(d) The Great War.
14. The author lists what he calls "real" art as painting, music, dance, and ______.
15. "He who does not love remains in death" is quoted by the author from what book of the Bible?
(a) III John.
(b) II John.
(d) I John.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author read the "Letters of the Scattered Brotherhood," written by _____.
2. How old was the author when he met his new best friend, Dudley Knott?
3. What Shakespeare reading assignment was objected to by the author's feminist students?
4. What is on the second floor of the White Tower?
5. In "The White Tower", the author describes his father as the young man in the gray slacks and maroon _______.
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)