|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was the author when his mother made him feel like a traitor for writing the fictionalized "Ansel Gibbs" about his father's death?
2. After his father's suicide, where did the author's mom move the family?
(a) Cape Hatteras.
3. What condition made it almost impossible for the author's mom to walk during her last year of life?
(a) Arthritic knees.
(b) Severely bowed-legs.
(d) Fractured foot.
4. In the Introduction, who does the author quote regarding the definition for "story" versus "plot?"
(a) C.S. Lewis.
(b) R. Kipling
(d) E.M. Forster.
5. According to the author, what is the doorway to healing and forgiveness?
6. In what language is the dedication written in "Godric?"
7. The author's mother lived to within how many days of her ninety-second birthday?
8. What did the author's mother use when she "struck to kill?"
9. In regards to beauty, the author's mother said you have a better chance of finding a lost cane again, than finding what?
(a) Wrinkle free and smooth skin.
(b) Blue eyes and golden hair.
(c) Kissable lips and golden hair.
(d) Clear eyes and blemish free skin.
10. How old was the author when his father committed suicide?
11. In the Introduction, how many books does the author mention that dealt with the headlines of his life?
12. How many years after his father's suicide did the author write "The Return of Ansel Gibbs?"
13. In "Godric" what is the name of the father of the title character?
14. When the author's sick daughter had to be hospitalized, how many miles away was she?
15. How many failed marriages did the author's mother have after his father died?
Short Answer Questions
1. As the author's mother aged, she complained about her looks, saying her hair looked like what?
2. What does the author describe as the "living heart and command center" of his mother's room?
3. The author's mother's motto, translated from French is, "you have to ____ in order to be beautiful."
4. Losing track of our "____," according to the author, means being impoverished humanly and spiritually.
5. What was in the bowl on top of the bureau in the room of the author's mother?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)