|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In complaining about her looks, what did the author's mother say "don't fit?"
2. As the author's mother aged, she complained about her looks, saying her hair looked like what?
3. In what language is the dedication written in "Godric?"
4. How old was the author when his father committed suicide?
5. What was the make of the family car used for the 1936 suicide?
6. What condition made it almost impossible for the author's mom to walk during her last year of life?
(a) Arthritic knees.
(b) Severely bowed-legs.
(d) Fractured foot.
7. The author said that he told his father's story both as the child "I was in 1936 and still am in ___."
8. What did the author's mother use when she "struck to kill?"
9. What was in the bowl on top of the bureau in the room of the author's mother?
(d) M & Ms.
10. When the dwarves are offered wine, what do they think it is?
(b) Ditch water.
(c) Tea with arsenic.
11. What was the name of the woman the author's mother had trouble understanding because of her thick accent?
12. According to the author, what is the doorway to healing and forgiveness?
13. How old was the author when his mother made him feel like a traitor for writing the fictionalized "Ansel Gibbs" about his father's death?
14. In Part One of the book, what was not a tradition in the Buechner family in relation to death?
(c) Last rites.
15. In the Introduction, who does the author quote regarding the definition for "story" versus "plot?"
(a) R. Kipling
(c) C.S. Lewis.
(d) E.M. Forster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the book the author wrote to tell the story of his father to a child?
2. "For the last ____ years" of her life, the author's mother saw almost no one except immediate family.
3. The author describes his sick daughter's behavior as a way of striking out to be what?
4. After his father's suicide, where did the author's mom move the family?
5. What title did the author write when he was in his fifties and his mom was in her eighties?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)