|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the woman the author's mother had trouble understanding because of her thick accent?
2. The author's mother's motto, translated from French is, "you have to ____ in order to be beautiful."
3. When the dwarves are offered wine, what do they think it is?
(a) Tea with arsenic.
(c) Ditch water.
4. To the author's mother, being beautiful was her ______.
5. "For the last ____ years" of her life, the author's mother saw almost no one except immediate family.
6. What place did the author see as an act of God in his life that he paralleled to the entry into the Promised Land?
7. Three acts of God mentioned by the author that appear in scripture are the Exodus, the ___, and the entry into the Promised Land.
8. In regards to beauty, the author's mother said you have a better chance of finding a lost cane again, than finding what?
(a) Wrinkle free and smooth skin.
(b) Clear eyes and blemish free skin.
(c) Kissable lips and golden hair.
(d) Blue eyes and golden hair.
9. The author's mother lived to within how many days of her ninety-second birthday?
10. What is the title of the book the author wrote to tell the story of his father to a child?
(a) Ansel Gibbs.
(b) Now and Then.
(c) The Wizard's Tide.
(d) The Last Battle.
11. What was the title of the lost book the author's mother hunted for in her room?
(a) The Last Battle.
(b) Now and Then.
(c) Ansel Gibbs.
(d) Les Malheurs de Sophie.
12. How many years had the author been married by the mid 1970's?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 25 years.
(d) 5 years.
13. On what street was the apartment in which the author's mother died?
14. What was the name of the woman who came nights but according to the author's mother was late because of the subway?
15. What fell behind the radiator and required that the building superintendent come to retrieve it?
(a) The purse.
(b) The cane.
(c) The pillow.
(d) The fan.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Introduction, the author tells us that this is his ___ venture into autobiography.
2. As the author's mother aged, she complained about her looks, saying her hair looked like what?
3. In "Godric" what is the name of the father of the title character?
4. How many years after his father's suicide did the author write "The Return of Ansel Gibbs?"
5. In what language is the dedication written in "Godric?"
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)