|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In describing what he learned after his father's death, what does the author consider a means of grace?
2. The author said that he told his father's story both as the child "I was in 1936 and still am in ___."
3. "For the last ____ years" of her life, the author's mother saw almost no one except immediate family.
4. As the author's mother aged, she complained about her looks, saying her hair looked like what?
5. What did the author's mother use when she "struck to kill?"
6. Three acts of God mentioned by the author that appear in scripture are the Exodus, the ___, and the entry into the Promised Land.
7. When the dwarves are offered food, what do they think it is?
8. To whom is the book "Godric" dedicated?
(a) A grandparent.
(b) A father.
(c) A sibling.
(d) A mother.
9. In telling his father's story as a child, who does Teddy represent in this story?
(a) The author's best friend.
(b) The author's brother.
(c) The author's father.
(d) The author.
10. How many failed marriages did the author's mother have after his father died?
11. In what month during1936 did the author's father commit suicide?
12. The author's mother lived to within how many days of her ninety-second birthday?
13. How old was the author when his father committed suicide?
14. How old was the author when his mother made him feel like a traitor for writing the fictionalized "Ansel Gibbs" about his father's death?
15. According to the author, what is the doorway to healing and forgiveness?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Introduction, the author tells us that this is his ___ venture into autobiography.
2. Losing track of our "____," according to the author, means being impoverished humanly and spiritually.
3. What fell behind the radiator and required that the building superintendent come to retrieve it?
4. What was the title of the lost book the author's mother hunted for in her room?
5. How many years had the author been married by the mid 1970's?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)