|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What title did the author write when he was in his fifties and his mom was in her eighties?
(a) Now and Then.
(b) The Return of Ansel Gibbs.
(c) Telling Secrets.
(d) The Sacred Journey.
2. On what street was the apartment in which the author's mother died?
3. What fell behind the radiator and required that the building superintendent come to retrieve it?
(a) The cane.
(b) The pillow.
(c) The fan.
(d) The purse.
4. Who refers to themselves as the "last rose of summer?"
(a) Mrs. Frederick Buechner.
(c) Mrs. Buechner.
(d) Dorothy Parker.
5. In describing what he learned after his father's death, what does the author consider a means of grace?
6. In the Introduction, who does the author quote regarding the definition for "story" versus "plot?"
(a) E.M. Forster.
(b) R. Kipling
(c) C.S. Lewis.
7. What does the author describe as the "living heart and command center" of his mother's room?
(b) Dressing Table.
(d) Chaise Lounge.
8. How many years after his father's suicide did the author write "The Return of Ansel Gibbs?"
9. Where were the ashes of the author's father buried?
(a) Union City.
10. How old was the author when his father committed suicide?
11. In what month during1936 did the author's father commit suicide?
12. How many years had the author been married by the mid 1970's?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 25 years.
13. Who wrote "The Last Battle?"
(a) E.M. Forster.
(b) Frederick Buechner.
(c) Noel Coward.
(d) C.S. Lewis.
14. What was the make of the family car used for the 1936 suicide?
15. To the author's mother, being beautiful was her ______.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the woman who came nights but according to the author's mother was late because of the subway?
2. The author likens his mother, in her later years, to a millionaire who what?
3. Losing track of our "____," according to the author, means being impoverished humanly and spiritually.
4. When the dwarves are offered food, what do they think it is?
5. When the dwarves are offered wine, what do they think it is?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)