|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years after his father's suicide did the author write "The Return of Ansel Gibbs?"
2. In what month during1936 did the author's father commit suicide?
3. In what language is the dedication written in "Godric?"
4. Who made no new friends while living in New York for almost twenty years?
(a) The author.
(b) Mrs. Buechner.
(c) The author's father.
(d) Mrs. Frederick Buechner.
5. In regards to beauty, the author's mother said you have a better chance of finding a lost cane again, than finding what?
(a) Clear eyes and blemish free skin.
(b) Blue eyes and golden hair.
(c) Kissable lips and golden hair.
(d) Wrinkle free and smooth skin.
6. What renders distinctions between past, present and future meaningless, according to the author?
7. When the dwarves are offered wine, what do they think it is?
(a) Ditch water.
(c) Tea with arsenic.
8. What is the title of the book the author wrote to tell the story of his father to a child?
(a) The Last Battle.
(b) Ansel Gibbs.
(c) The Wizard's Tide.
(d) Now and Then.
9. What did the author's mother use when she "struck to kill?"
10. "For the last ____ years" of her life, the author's mother saw almost no one except immediate family.
11. In the Introduction, the author tells us that this is his ___ venture into autobiography.
12. The author describes his sick daughter's behavior as a way of striking out to be what?
(c) In control.
13. How old was the author when his father committed suicide?
14. In the Introduction, who does the author quote regarding the definition for "story" versus "plot?"
(a) C.S. Lewis.
(c) E.M. Forster.
(d) R. Kipling
15. Who tends to more publicly lose touch with themselves and with God, according to the author?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the room in which the author writes, how many pieces of stained glass sit in his windows?
2. What was the name of the woman who came nights but according to the author's mother was late because of the subway?
3. Where were the ashes of the author's father buried?
4. In the Introduction, what is the title of the book the author cites as dealing with the interior of his life?
5. According to the author, what does God give us that helps us finish with the past and remove the power of the past to hurt us?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)