|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tends to more publicly lose touch with themselves and with God, according to the author?
2. What fell behind the radiator and required that the building superintendent come to retrieve it?
(a) The pillow.
(b) The cane.
(c) The fan.
(d) The purse.
3. In describing what he learned after his father's death, what does the author consider a means of grace?
4. On what street was the apartment in which the author's mother died?
5. What does the author describe as the "living heart and command center" of his mother's room?
(b) Chaise Lounge.
(d) Dressing Table.
6. What was the title of the lost book the author's mother hunted for in her room?
(a) The Last Battle.
(b) Les Malheurs de Sophie.
(c) Now and Then.
(d) Ansel Gibbs.
7. According to the author, what does God give us that helps us finish with the past and remove the power of the past to hurt us?
8. In the room of the author's mother what kind of magazines are on her chaise lounge?
(c) Home Making.
9. In the Introduction, the author tells us that this is his ___ venture into autobiography.
10. How many years had the author been married by the mid 1970's?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 25 years.
11. In the Introduction, who does the author quote regarding the definition for "story" versus "plot?"
(a) C.S. Lewis.
(c) E.M. Forster.
(d) R. Kipling
12. How old was the author when his father committed suicide?
13. In the mid 1970's, how may teenage children did the author have?
14. When the dwarves are offered food, what do they think it is?
15. In regards to beauty, the author's mother said you have a better chance of finding a lost cane again, than finding what?
(a) Clear eyes and blemish free skin.
(b) Wrinkle free and smooth skin.
(c) Blue eyes and golden hair.
(d) Kissable lips and golden hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the author when his mother made him feel like a traitor for writing the fictionalized "Ansel Gibbs" about his father's death?
2. Who wrote "The Last Battle?"
3. How many years after his father's suicide did the author write "The Return of Ansel Gibbs?"
4. How many failed marriages did the author's mother have after his father died?
5. Who refers to themselves as the "last rose of summer?"
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)