|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the author's mother use when she "struck to kill?"
2. Who tends to more publicly lose touch with themselves and with God, according to the author?
3. How many failed marriages did the author's mother have after his father died?
4. In the Introduction, who does the author quote regarding the definition for "story" versus "plot?"
(b) R. Kipling
(c) C.S. Lewis.
(d) E.M. Forster.
5. After his father's suicide, where did the author's mom move the family?
(d) Cape Hatteras.
6. What was the name of the woman who came nights but according to the author's mother was late because of the subway?
7. What was the title of the lost book the author's mother hunted for in her room?
(a) The Last Battle.
(b) Now and Then.
(c) Les Malheurs de Sophie.
(d) Ansel Gibbs.
8. What does the author describe as the "living heart and command center" of his mother's room?
(b) Dressing Table.
(c) Chaise Lounge.
9. In what language is the dedication written in "Godric?"
10. In "Godric" what is the name of the father of the title character?
11. What is the title of the book written by Kahlil Gibran that is on the table next to the chaise lounge in the author's mother's room?
(a) The Last Battle
(b) Now and Then.
(c) The Prophet.
(d) Les Malheurs de Sophie.
12. According to the author, what is the doorway to healing and forgiveness?
13. In the mid 1970's, how may teenage children did the author have?
14. In the Introduction, the author tells us that this is his ___ venture into autobiography.
15. What was the make of the family car used for the 1936 suicide?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author's mother lived to within how many days of her ninety-second birthday?
2. Who made no new friends while living in New York for almost twenty years?
3. To whom is the book "Godric" dedicated?
4. The author likens his mother, in her later years, to a millionaire who what?
5. "For the last ____ years" of her life, the author's mother saw almost no one except immediate family.
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)