|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the make of the family car used for the 1936 suicide?
2. What was the title of the lost book the author's mother hunted for in her room?
(a) Les Malheurs de Sophie.
(b) Ansel Gibbs.
(c) Now and Then.
(d) The Last Battle.
3. In the room of the author's mother what kind of magazines are on her chaise lounge?
(b) Home Making.
4. In the Introduction, who does the author quote regarding the definition for "story" versus "plot?"
(b) R. Kipling
(c) C.S. Lewis.
(d) E.M. Forster.
5. What title did the author write when he was in his fifties and his mom was in her eighties?
(a) Telling Secrets.
(b) Now and Then.
(c) The Return of Ansel Gibbs.
(d) The Sacred Journey.
6. As the author's mother aged, she complained about her looks, saying her hair looked like what?
7. The author's mother lived to within how many days of her ninety-second birthday?
8. What is the title of the book written by Kahlil Gibran that is on the table next to the chaise lounge in the author's mother's room?
(a) The Last Battle
(b) Now and Then.
(c) Les Malheurs de Sophie.
(d) The Prophet.
9. What does the author describe as the "living heart and command center" of his mother's room?
(c) Dressing Table.
(d) Chaise Lounge.
10. The author's mother's motto, translated from French is, "you have to ____ in order to be beautiful."
11. In complaining about her looks, what did the author's mother say "don't fit?"
12. According to the author, what is the doorway to healing and forgiveness?
13. Losing track of our "____," according to the author, means being impoverished humanly and spiritually.
14. Who wrote "The Last Battle?"
(a) Frederick Buechner.
(b) Noel Coward.
(c) E.M. Forster.
(d) C.S. Lewis.
15. How many years had the author been married by the mid 1970's?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 25 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 5 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition made it almost impossible for the author's mom to walk during her last year of life?
2. What did the author's mother use when she "struck to kill?"
3. What is the title of the book the author wrote to tell the story of his father to a child?
4. Where were the ashes of the author's father buried?
5. In "The Last Battle", who stoops and touches the dwarves with his tongue?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)