|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were the ashes of the author's father buried?
(b) Union City.
2. To whom is the book "Godric" dedicated?
(a) A mother.
(b) A grandparent.
(c) A sibling.
(d) A father.
3. After his father's suicide, where did the author's mom move the family?
(d) Cape Hatteras.
4. The author's mother's motto, translated from French is, "you have to ____ in order to be beautiful."
5. In the Introduction, who does the author quote regarding the definition for "story" versus "plot?"
(a) E.M. Forster.
(c) C.S. Lewis.
(d) R. Kipling
6. What condition made it almost impossible for the author's mom to walk during her last year of life?
(a) Fractured foot.
(c) Severely bowed-legs.
(d) Arthritic knees.
7. What is the title of the book written by Kahlil Gibran that is on the table next to the chaise lounge in the author's mother's room?
(a) Les Malheurs de Sophie.
(b) The Prophet.
(c) The Last Battle
(d) Now and Then.
8. What fell behind the radiator and required that the building superintendent come to retrieve it?
(a) The purse.
(b) The pillow.
(c) The cane.
(d) The fan.
9. What did the author's mother use when she "struck to kill?"
10. In the room of the author's mother what kind of magazines are on her chaise lounge?
(b) Home Making.
11. According to the author, what is the doorway to healing and forgiveness?
12. To the author's mother, being beautiful was her ______.
13. When the dwarves are offered wine, what do they think it is?
(c) Ditch water.
(d) Tea with arsenic.
14. What is the title of the book the author wrote to tell the story of his father to a child?
(a) Now and Then.
(b) Ansel Gibbs.
(c) The Last Battle.
(d) The Wizard's Tide.
15. Losing track of our "____," according to the author, means being impoverished humanly and spiritually.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the author when his mother made him feel like a traitor for writing the fictionalized "Ansel Gibbs" about his father's death?
2. When the author's sick daughter had to be hospitalized, how many miles away was she?
3. In "The Last Battle", who stoops and touches the dwarves with his tongue?
4. In the Introduction, how many books does the author mention that dealt with the headlines of his life?
5. In the mid 1970's, how may teenage children did the author have?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)