|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month during1936 did the author's father commit suicide?
2. In the Introduction, how many books does the author mention that dealt with the headlines of his life?
3. How many years after his father's suicide did the author write "The Return of Ansel Gibbs?"
4. What was the name of the woman the author's mother had trouble understanding because of her thick accent?
5. What fell behind the radiator and required that the building superintendent come to retrieve it?
(a) The fan.
(b) The pillow.
(c) The cane.
(d) The purse.
6. In the mid 1970's, how may teenage children did the author have?
7. What renders distinctions between past, present and future meaningless, according to the author?
8. In "Godric" what is the name of the father of the title character?
9. In regards to beauty, the author's mother said you have a better chance of finding a lost cane again, than finding what?
(a) Kissable lips and golden hair.
(b) Wrinkle free and smooth skin.
(c) Blue eyes and golden hair.
(d) Clear eyes and blemish free skin.
10. What was the make of the family car used for the 1936 suicide?
11. In "The Last Battle", who stoops and touches the dwarves with his tongue?
12. What title did the author write when he was in his fifties and his mom was in her eighties?
(a) Telling Secrets.
(b) The Sacred Journey.
(c) The Return of Ansel Gibbs.
(d) Now and Then.
13. To the author's mother, being beautiful was her ______.
14. Where were the ashes of the author's father buried?
(c) Union City.
15. How many failed marriages did the author's mother have after his father died?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tends to more publicly lose touch with themselves and with God, according to the author?
2. Who wrote "The Last Battle?"
3. In describing what he learned after his father's death, what does the author consider a means of grace?
4. What is the title of the first autobiography written by the author?
5. In telling his father's story as a child, who does Teddy represent in this story?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)