|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is the book "Godric" dedicated?
(a) A sibling.
(b) A grandparent.
(c) A mother.
(d) A father.
2. In describing what he learned after his father's death, what does the author consider a means of grace?
3. In the Introduction, what is the title of the book the author cites as dealing with the interior of his life?
(a) Now and Then.
(b) The Sacred Journey.
(d) Telling Secrets.
4. According to the author, what does God give us that helps us finish with the past and remove the power of the past to hurt us?
5. The author's mother lived to within how many days of her ninety-second birthday?
6. In the Introduction, who does the author quote regarding the definition for "story" versus "plot?"
(b) C.S. Lewis.
(c) R. Kipling
(d) E.M. Forster.
7. The author describes his sick daughter's behavior as a way of striking out to be what?
(b) In control.
8. What did the author's mother use when she "struck to kill?"
9. What is the title of the book the author wrote to tell the story of his father to a child?
(a) The Last Battle.
(b) Ansel Gibbs.
(c) Now and Then.
(d) The Wizard's Tide.
10. To the author's mother, being beautiful was her ______.
11. In the Introduction, the author tells us that this is his ___ venture into autobiography.
12. In telling his father's story as a child, who does Teddy represent in this story?
(a) The author.
(b) The author's brother.
(c) The author's best friend.
(d) The author's father.
13. When the dwarves are offered wine, what do they think it is?
(a) Ditch water.
(d) Tea with arsenic.
14. What condition made it almost impossible for the author's mom to walk during her last year of life?
(a) Severely bowed-legs.
(c) Fractured foot.
(d) Arthritic knees.
15. What fell behind the radiator and required that the building superintendent come to retrieve it?
(a) The purse.
(b) The cane.
(c) The pillow.
(d) The fan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Three acts of God mentioned by the author that appear in scripture are the Exodus, the ___, and the entry into the Promised Land.
2. In "Godric" what is the name of the father of the title character?
3. What was the name of the woman the author's mother had trouble understanding because of her thick accent?
4. What was the name of the woman who came nights but according to the author's mother was late because of the subway?
5. In "The Last Battle", who stoops and touches the dwarves with his tongue?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)