|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Godric" what is the name of the father of the title character?
2. To the author's mother, being beautiful was her ______.
3. The author's sick daughter was more afraid of what than death?
(a) Being rejected.
(b) Being hospitalized.
(c) Coming home.
(d) Gaining weight.
4. In the Introduction, who does the author quote regarding the definition for "story" versus "plot?"
(b) C.S. Lewis.
(c) E.M. Forster.
(d) R. Kipling
5. In the room in which the author writes, how many pieces of stained glass sit in his windows?
6. How old was the author when his mother made him feel like a traitor for writing the fictionalized "Ansel Gibbs" about his father's death?
7. In "The Last Battle", who stoops and touches the dwarves with his tongue?
8. How old was the author when his father committed suicide?
9. The author describes his sick daughter's behavior as a way of striking out to be what?
(c) In control.
10. How many years had the author been married by the mid 1970's?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 25 years.
11. In the Introduction, the author tells us that this is his ___ venture into autobiography.
12. What does the author describe as the "living heart and command center" of his mother's room?
(a) Dressing Table.
(d) Chaise Lounge.
13. According to the author, what does God give us that helps us finish with the past and remove the power of the past to hurt us?
14. As the author's mother aged, she complained about her looks, saying her hair looked like what?
15. In what language is the dedication written in "Godric?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the make of the family car used for the 1936 suicide?
2. When the dwarves are offered food, what do they think it is?
3. In Part One of the book, what was not a tradition in the Buechner family in relation to death?
4. What is the title of the book written by Kahlil Gibran that is on the table next to the chaise lounge in the author's mother's room?
5. To whom is the book "Godric" dedicated?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)