|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author describe as the "living heart and command center" of his mother's room?
(a) Chaise Lounge.
(b) Dressing Table.
2. Where were the ashes of the author's father buried?
(c) Union City.
3. In regards to beauty, the author's mother said you have a better chance of finding a lost cane again, than finding what?
(a) Blue eyes and golden hair.
(b) Clear eyes and blemish free skin.
(c) Wrinkle free and smooth skin.
(d) Kissable lips and golden hair.
4. In describing what he learned after his father's death, what does the author consider a means of grace?
5. The author describes his sick daughter's behavior as a way of striking out to be what?
(a) In control.
6. What did the author's mother use when she "struck to kill?"
7. The author likens his mother, in her later years, to a millionaire who what?
(a) Hoardes money.
(b) Wants to help everyone.
(c) Has to get a job.
(d) Runs out of money.
8. In telling his father's story as a child, who does Teddy represent in this story?
(a) The author's best friend.
(b) The author.
(c) The author's father.
(d) The author's brother.
9. In the Introduction, the author tells us that this is his ___ venture into autobiography.
10. In the room of the author's mother what kind of magazines are on her chaise lounge?
(a) Home Making.
11. What was the title of the lost book the author's mother hunted for in her room?
(a) Les Malheurs de Sophie.
(b) Ansel Gibbs.
(c) Now and Then.
(d) The Last Battle.
12. "For the last ____ years" of her life, the author's mother saw almost no one except immediate family.
13. In Part One of the book, what was not a tradition in the Buechner family in relation to death?
(d) Last rites.
14. What fell behind the radiator and required that the building superintendent come to retrieve it?
(a) The pillow.
(b) The fan.
(c) The cane.
(d) The purse.
15. Who made no new friends while living in New York for almost twenty years?
(a) Mrs. Buechner.
(b) The author's father.
(c) Mrs. Frederick Buechner.
(d) The author.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what does God give us that helps us finish with the past and remove the power of the past to hurt us?
2. Three acts of God mentioned by the author that appear in scripture are the Exodus, the ___, and the entry into the Promised Land.
3. How old was the author when his father committed suicide?
4. How many years had the author been married by the mid 1970's?
5. The author's mother lived to within how many days of her ninety-second birthday?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)