|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month during1936 did the author's father commit suicide?
2. Three acts of God mentioned by the author that appear in scripture are the Exodus, the ___, and the entry into the Promised Land.
3. In the room of the author's mother what kind of magazines are on her chaise lounge?
(d) Home Making.
4. What does the author describe as the "living heart and command center" of his mother's room?
(b) Dressing Table.
(c) Chaise Lounge.
5. To the author's mother, being beautiful was her ______.
6. After his father's suicide, where did the author's mom move the family?
(a) Cape Hatteras.
7. What did the author's mother use when she "struck to kill?"
8. To whom is the book "Godric" dedicated?
(a) A mother.
(b) A sibling.
(c) A grandparent.
(d) A father.
9. The author describes his sick daughter's behavior as a way of striking out to be what?
(a) In control.
10. In describing what he learned after his father's death, what does the author consider a means of grace?
11. In the Introduction, who does the author quote regarding the definition for "story" versus "plot?"
(a) R. Kipling
(c) C.S. Lewis.
(d) E.M. Forster.
12. In the Introduction, how many books does the author mention that dealt with the headlines of his life?
13. "For the last ____ years" of her life, the author's mother saw almost no one except immediate family.
14. Where were the ashes of the author's father buried?
(c) Union City.
15. Who wrote "The Last Battle?"
(a) Frederick Buechner.
(b) E.M. Forster.
(c) Noel Coward.
(d) C.S. Lewis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Losing track of our "____," according to the author, means being impoverished humanly and spiritually.
2. In Part One of the book, what was not a tradition in the Buechner family in relation to death?
3. In the Introduction, what is the title of the book the author cites as dealing with the interior of his life?
4. How many years after his father's suicide did the author write "The Return of Ansel Gibbs?"
5. In complaining about her looks, what did the author's mother say "don't fit?"
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)