|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author describes his sick daughter's behavior as a way of striking out to be what?
(c) In control.
2. What title did the author write when he was in his fifties and his mom was in her eighties?
(a) The Return of Ansel Gibbs.
(b) Now and Then.
(c) Telling Secrets.
(d) The Sacred Journey.
3. What is the title of the first autobiography written by the author?
(a) Now and Then.
(b) Telling Secrets.
(c) The Sacred Journey.
(d) The Last Battle.
4. In telling his father's story as a child, who does Teddy represent in this story?
(a) The author.
(b) The author's best friend.
(c) The author's brother.
(d) The author's father.
5. How many failed marriages did the author's mother have after his father died?
6. How many years had the author been married by the mid 1970's?
(a) 25 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 5 years.
7. What renders distinctions between past, present and future meaningless, according to the author?
8. In describing what he learned after his father's death, what does the author consider a means of grace?
9. Who wrote "The Last Battle?"
(a) E.M. Forster.
(b) C.S. Lewis.
(c) Frederick Buechner.
(d) Noel Coward.
10. In the room in which the author writes, how many pieces of stained glass sit in his windows?
11. What was the title of the lost book the author's mother hunted for in her room?
(a) Now and Then.
(b) Ansel Gibbs.
(c) The Last Battle.
(d) Les Malheurs de Sophie.
12. According to the author, what does God give us that helps us finish with the past and remove the power of the past to hurt us?
13. What did the author's mother use when she "struck to kill?"
14. In what language is the dedication written in "Godric?"
15. According to the author, what is the doorway to healing and forgiveness?
Short Answer Questions
1. As the author's mother aged, she complained about her looks, saying her hair looked like what?
2. In the Introduction, the author tells us that this is his ___ venture into autobiography.
3. What was the make of the family car used for the 1936 suicide?
4. Who made no new friends while living in New York for almost twenty years?
5. After his father's suicide, where did the author's mom move the family?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)