|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Godric" what is the name of the father of the title character?
2. According to the author, what does God give us that helps us finish with the past and remove the power of the past to hurt us?
3. In the Introduction, how many books does the author mention that dealt with the headlines of his life?
4. The author describes his sick daughter's behavior as a way of striking out to be what?
(a) In control.
5. In the Introduction, what is the title of the book the author cites as dealing with the interior of his life?
(a) The Sacred Journey.
(c) Telling Secrets.
(d) Now and Then.
6. Losing track of our "____," according to the author, means being impoverished humanly and spiritually.
7. When the author's sick daughter had to be hospitalized, how many miles away was she?
8. As the author's mother aged, she complained about her looks, saying her hair looked like what?
9. In the mid 1970's, how may teenage children did the author have?
10. What fell behind the radiator and required that the building superintendent come to retrieve it?
(a) The cane.
(b) The pillow.
(c) The fan.
(d) The purse.
11. In "The Last Battle", who stoops and touches the dwarves with his tongue?
12. Who made no new friends while living in New York for almost twenty years?
(a) Mrs. Frederick Buechner.
(b) The author.
(c) The author's father.
(d) Mrs. Buechner.
13. In what language is the dedication written in "Godric?"
14. What is the title of the first autobiography written by the author?
(a) Telling Secrets.
(b) Now and Then.
(c) The Last Battle.
(d) The Sacred Journey.
15. To the author's mother, being beautiful was her ______.
Short Answer Questions
1. In telling his father's story as a child, who does Teddy represent in this story?
2. In the Introduction, the author tells us that this is his ___ venture into autobiography.
3. What condition made it almost impossible for the author's mom to walk during her last year of life?
4. In what month during1936 did the author's father commit suicide?
5. What was the make of the family car used for the 1936 suicide?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)