|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Three acts of God mentioned by the author that appear in scripture are the Exodus, the ___, and the entry into the Promised Land.
2. When the dwarves are offered food, what do they think it is?
3. What did the author's mother use when she "struck to kill?"
4. What is the title of the book written by Kahlil Gibran that is on the table next to the chaise lounge in the author's mother's room?
(a) The Prophet.
(b) Les Malheurs de Sophie.
(c) Now and Then.
(d) The Last Battle
5. "For the last ____ years" of her life, the author's mother saw almost no one except immediate family.
6. When the author's sick daughter had to be hospitalized, how many miles away was she?
7. In what month during1936 did the author's father commit suicide?
8. In describing what he learned after his father's death, what does the author consider a means of grace?
9. In the Introduction, who does the author quote regarding the definition for "story" versus "plot?"
(b) R. Kipling
(c) C.S. Lewis.
(d) E.M. Forster.
10. What was the title of the lost book the author's mother hunted for in her room?
(a) Now and Then.
(b) The Last Battle.
(c) Les Malheurs de Sophie.
(d) Ansel Gibbs.
11. What place did the author see as an act of God in his life that he paralleled to the entry into the Promised Land?
12. In what language is the dedication written in "Godric?"
13. Where were the ashes of the author's father buried?
(a) Union City.
14. According to the author, what does God give us that helps us finish with the past and remove the power of the past to hurt us?
15. The author's mother's motto, translated from French is, "you have to ____ in order to be beautiful."
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the author when his mother made him feel like a traitor for writing the fictionalized "Ansel Gibbs" about his father's death?
2. In the mid 1970's, how may teenage children did the author have?
3. In the room in which the author writes, how many pieces of stained glass sit in his windows?
4. To whom is the book "Godric" dedicated?
5. What was the make of the family car used for the 1936 suicide?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)