|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author's mother lived to within how many days of her ninety-second birthday?
2. What was in the bowl on top of the bureau in the room of the author's mother?
(b) M & Ms.
3. In what month during1936 did the author's father commit suicide?
4. How old was the author when his father committed suicide?
5. What is the title of the book the author wrote to tell the story of his father to a child?
(a) The Last Battle.
(b) Ansel Gibbs.
(c) Now and Then.
(d) The Wizard's Tide.
6. What was the name of the woman who came nights but according to the author's mother was late because of the subway?
7. When the dwarves are offered food, what do they think it is?
8. Who refers to themselves as the "last rose of summer?"
(b) Mrs. Frederick Buechner.
(c) Dorothy Parker.
(d) Mrs. Buechner.
9. Where were the ashes of the author's father buried?
(b) Union City.
10. What was the name of the woman the author's mother had trouble understanding because of her thick accent?
11. In the Introduction, how many books does the author mention that dealt with the headlines of his life?
12. How many failed marriages did the author's mother have after his father died?
13. According to the author, what does God give us that helps us finish with the past and remove the power of the past to hurt us?
14. In describing what he learned after his father's death, what does the author consider a means of grace?
15. The author likens his mother, in her later years, to a millionaire who what?
(a) Has to get a job.
(b) Runs out of money.
(c) Wants to help everyone.
(d) Hoardes money.
Short Answer Questions
1. "For the last ____ years" of her life, the author's mother saw almost no one except immediate family.
2. In "Godric" what is the name of the father of the title character?
3. In telling his father's story as a child, who does Teddy represent in this story?
4. What renders distinctions between past, present and future meaningless, according to the author?
5. Who wrote "The Last Battle?"
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)