Introduction through Chapter Five
• David Beck and his wife Elizabeth make the drive to Lake Charmaine, a secluded lake property that belongs to David's grandfather, for the anniversary of their first kiss.
• David and Elizabeth go to the tree where their initials are carved along with a slash carved for each of the twelve years that had passed since their first kiss that occurred when they were just twelve.
• After the ritual at the tree, David dives into the lake for a swim and hears Elizabeth screaming from the shore.
• Realizing his wife is being attacked, David rushes back to the dock, but is knocked unconscious.
• Eight years after Elizabeth's murder, David is a pediatrician in a poor part of town where he deals daily with teen pregnancy and other problems typical of poverty-stricken areas.
• Near the anniversary date of their first kiss and Elizabeth's murder, David receives...
This section contains 4,009 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)