|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Tenar decide to go to the village?
2. What did Therru like playing with?
3. What did Ivy think about teaching Therru?
4. What was Tenar confused about?
5. What did the sailor give to Therru?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Aspen tried to do to Tenar and whether or not it worked.
2. Describe what Tenar sees behind the fan in the weaver's shop.
3. As she left Apple's house to go to her farm, what was Tenar concerned about in regards to Therru?
4. Why did Tenar finally leave Ogion's house?
5. Explain what that meant from Havnor wanted and how Tenar reacted to that.
6. What was the Roke needs looking for, and why was it unusual?
7. Describe Ged's reaction to the news about the king and the ship.
8. What happened to Therru as she boarded the ship, and how did it affect her?
9. Explain what happened to the men who broke into the house and what happened to Therru's mother.
10. Describe how the people in the village felt about Aspen.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As he dies, Ogion mentions to Tenar that times are changing. Detail these changes, positive and negative, and address where hope can be found in dealing with the changes.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how someone becomes a wizard or a witch. Define some of the educational processes they go through as well as choices they have to make. Make sure to address the differences between men and women in the magic powers.
Essay Topic 3
Therru changes drastically throughout the novel. Explain how she changes both physically and mentally. Define her role in the last chapter in detail. Write about why she might have made the decision to stay with Tenar.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)