|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ramotswe wonder about the orphan children in Chapter 14?
2. Who visits Florence in prison?
3. At. Dr. Ranta's house, who waits outside while the detective goes in?
4. What had Florence been suffering from since she learned of Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni's plans to marry Mma Ramotswe?
5. Whom does Florence call that owes her money?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Makutsi types up her report, why does she not tell Badule immediately?
2. What does Makutsi discover on the trail of Badule's wife?
3. After Ramotswe reads the report, how does she decide to deliver the truth to Badule?
4. Why does Ramotswe feel scared about visiting Ranta and how does Matekoni help her?
5. Who is Leaynne described in Chapter 15, and why does he owe Florence a favor?
6. What does Matekoni dream about the orphan boy?
7. How does Ramotswe welcome the children into their new home?
8. How does Ramotswe get Ranta to change his position on the Curtin story and talk to her?
9. How does Ramotswe respond to Matekoni's desire to adopt the orphans?
10. Why is Ramotswe upset about the newspaper article on sleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Andrea Curtin. What is her role in the story? What was Smith trying to accomplish by creating Andrea's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think Smith named the book Tears of the Giraffe? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel or more mysteries with Ramotswe? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in Africa in the early 21st century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 20th century women did not have, if any?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)