|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will the orphan children be living after Maketoni gets married?
2. What role does Ramotswe play for the orphans?
3. Who watches a plane fly over from the window of Matekoni's house?
4. Who says she won't tell the police but will tell Mrs. Curtin the story about her son?
5. Who can't afford to pay for both an assistant detective and a secretary?
Short Essay Questions
1. After obtaining the information she needed, what does Ramotswe decide to do for Curtin and Ranta?
2. Why is Ramotswe curious about the orphan children when she comes out of the post office?
3. Why does Ramotswe feel scared about visiting Ranta and how does Matekoni help her?
4. After Makutsi types up her report, why does she not tell Badule immediately?
5. How did Michael die according to Dr. Ranta?
6. How does Florence reveal her anxiety about her employment through physical symptoms?
7. After Ramotswe reads the report, how does she decide to deliver the truth to Badule?
8. Why did Carla leave the farm after Michael's death?
9. What does Makutsi discover on the trail of Badule's wife?
10. How does the orphan girl feel about Matekoni and his residence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Makutsi and Badule are two intriguing characters employed at the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Makutsi had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Badule had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
Smith uses more than one iteration on the theme of betrayal. Identify at least two themes about betrayal in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Appearances can be deceiving. Make a time line that shows the progression of your knowledge as a reader into the characters of the suspects in the case. Which characters reveal the theme of appearances can be deceiving most?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)