|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the article about sleeping problems say about fat people and sleep?
2. Who considers Ranta a psychopath?
3. Who is the infant orphan staying at Matekoni's house?
4. Who trusts Matekoni implicitly by staying at his house?
5. Where is the take-out restaurant that Florence visited?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ramotswe curious about the orphan children when she comes out of the post office?
2. What does Makutsi discover on the trail of Badule's wife?
3. How does the orphan girl spend the night while her brother sleeps?
4. What does Badule explain is his concern to Makutsi?
5. Who is Leaynne described in Chapter 15, and why does he owe Florence a favor?
6. How does Florence reveal her anxiety about her employment through physical symptoms?
7. What does the orphan girl feel she must do for Matekoni?
8. What does Matekoni discover about the two orphan children when he takes them to his garage?
9. After Ramotswe reads the report, how does she decide to deliver the truth to Badule?
10. What does Matekoni discover he enjoys while shopping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for the novel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Smith choose to use these places in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Smith uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)