|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What case that haunts Ranta will remain closed, according to a promise by the detective?
2. Who regularly wakes up in the middle of the night because of sleeping problems?
3. Who considers Ranta a psychopath?
4. Who explains what happened at the orphans' farm and how he had no alternative but to take the children?
5. At. Dr. Ranta's house, who waits outside while the detective goes in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Florence reveal her anxiety about her employment through physical symptoms?
2. What does Ramotswe discover about Ranta?
3. Who is Leaynne described in Chapter 15, and why does he owe Florence a favor?
4. What is Florence's plan to frame Ramotswe?
5. Why is Ramotswe upset about the newspaper article on sleep?
6. Why is Makutsi upset about typing, and what does Ramotswe offer her?
7. How did Michael die according to Dr. Ranta?
8. Why does Ramotswe feel scared about visiting Ranta and how does Matekoni help her?
9. What does Matekoni dream about the orphan boy?
10. What does Matekoni discover he enjoys while shopping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in Africa in the early 21st century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 20th century women did not have, if any?
Essay Topic 2
Smith uses more than one iteration on the theme of betrayal. Identify at least two themes about betrayal in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think Smith named the book Tears of the Giraffe? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel or more mysteries with Ramotswe? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)