|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ramotswe take Matekoni to discuss the children privately?
2. Who is the infant orphan staying at Matekoni's house?
3. Who calls his office and learns Florence has been arrested?
4. Where will the orphan children be living after Maketoni gets married?
5. What kind of relationship does Florence have with the person she met at a take-out restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the orphan girl feel she must do for Matekoni?
2. What does Matekoni discover he enjoys while shopping?
3. What is Florence's plan to frame Ramotswe?
4. How does the orphan girl spend the night while her brother sleeps?
5. Why does Ramotswe feel scared about visiting Ranta and how does Matekoni help her?
6. Why is Ramotswe curious about the orphan children when she comes out of the post office?
7. How does Florence reveal her anxiety about her employment through physical symptoms?
8. How does Florence get what she deserves?
9. How does Ramotswe get Ranta to change his position on the Curtin story and talk to her?
10. Why is Ramotswe upset about the newspaper article on sleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Smith uses more than one iteration on the theme of betrayal. Identify at least two themes about betrayal in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for the novel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Smith choose to use these places in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the detecting techniques of Precious Ramotswe and Makutsi. Cover how they each approach the various detective cases they receive and whether their intuitions were correct. Who actually solves the cases and how?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)