|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the orphan boy?
2. From where did Ranta receive a grant to work on the farm?
3. Who fell into a ditch and broke his neck and was buried quietly?
4. From whom does the detective learn that Ranta is a ladies' man?
5. Who reads the report written by Mma Makutsi and compliments her on doing a good job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Carla leave the farm after Michael's death?
2. What does Matekoni dream about the orphan boy?
3. Why is Ramotswe upset about the newspaper article on sleep?
4. After Makutsi types up her report, why does she not tell Badule immediately?
5. How does Florence get what she deserves?
6. How does Ramotswe get Ranta to change his position on the Curtin story and talk to her?
7. How did Michael die according to Dr. Ranta?
8. How does Ramotswe welcome the children into their new home?
9. Why is Makutsi upset about typing, and what does Ramotswe offer her?
10. What does Florence request from Paul, and how does he stop her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Smith uses more than one iteration on the theme of betrayal. Identify at least two themes about betrayal in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Africa in the early 21st century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 20th century women did not have, if any?
Essay Topic 3
Tears of the Giraffe is a detective mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)