|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Matekoni play for the orphans?
2. Where does Ramotswe take Matekoni to discuss the children privately?
3. Who reads the report written by Mma Makutsi and compliments her on doing a good job?
4. Who had an affair with the South African woman that Michael shared a room with at the farm?
5. Who tells Ramotswe to come to the house to hear the whole story about the student and the altered exam?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ramotswe respond to Matekoni's desire to adopt the orphans?
2. What does Matekoni dream about the orphan boy?
3. What is Florence's plan to frame Ramotswe?
4. What does the orphan girl feel she must do for Matekoni?
5. After Ramotswe reads the report, how does she decide to deliver the truth to Badule?
6. Why is it awkward when Matekoni tells Ramotswe about the children, and what does he fear?
7. How does Florence get what she deserves?
8. After Makutsi types up her report, why does she not tell Badule immediately?
9. What does Florence request from Paul, and how does he stop her?
10. What does Matekoni discover about the two orphan children when he takes them to his garage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Andrea Curtin. What is her role in the story? What was Smith trying to accomplish by creating Andrea's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is the use of hints or clues to suggest what will happen later in the story. The objective of this lesson is to discuss the use of foreshadowing in the book. Why does Smith insert foreshadowing into the story? is it effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Smith uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)