|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Matekoni blame for the orphan situation, fearing Ramotswe will break off his engagement?
2. What is the name of the orphan boy?
3. What does Florence ask the person she met at a take-out restaurant to get for her?
4. What do the orphan children show Ramotswe before explaining they are living with Maketoni?
5. From whom does the detective learn that Ranta is a ladies' man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Matekoni discover about the two orphan children when he takes them to his garage?
2. After Ramotswe reads the report, how does she decide to deliver the truth to Badule?
3. What decision does Maketoni make about the orphans while sitting in his office?
4. What is Florence's plan to frame Ramotswe?
5. Why is Ramotswe upset about the newspaper article on sleep?
6. Why is it awkward when Matekoni tells Ramotswe about the children, and what does he fear?
7. What does Matekoni dream about the orphan boy?
8. How does the orphan girl feel about Matekoni and his residence?
9. Why is Ramotswe curious about the orphan children when she comes out of the post office?
10. How does the orphan girl spend the night while her brother sleeps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is the use of hints or clues to suggest what will happen later in the story. The objective of this lesson is to discuss the use of foreshadowing in the book. Why does Smith insert foreshadowing into the story? is it effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Africa in the early 21st century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 20th century women did not have, if any?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for the novel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Smith choose to use these places in the book?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)