|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is most interested in learning about engines at the garage?
2. What does the article about sleeping problems say about fat people and sleep?
3. Who is upset to learn she still has to do the typing even though she is now an assistant detective?
4. Whose brother is in prison in Chapter 15?
5. Where is Michael's partner living according to Ranta?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ramotswe upset about the newspaper article on sleep?
2. After obtaining the information she needed, what does Ramotswe decide to do for Curtin and Ranta?
3. What decision does Maketoni make about the orphans while sitting in his office?
4. Who is Leaynne described in Chapter 15, and why does he owe Florence a favor?
5. How does Ramotswe get Ranta to change his position on the Curtin story and talk to her?
6. How does the orphan girl feel about Matekoni and his residence?
7. Why is it awkward when Matekoni tells Ramotswe about the children, and what does he fear?
8. Why does Ramotswe feel scared about visiting Ranta and how does Matekoni help her?
9. How does Florence reveal her anxiety about her employment through physical symptoms?
10. What does Matekoni dream about the orphan boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Andrea Curtin. What is her role in the story? What was Smith trying to accomplish by creating Andrea's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Smith uses more than one iteration on the theme of betrayal. Identify at least two themes about betrayal in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Who feels betrayed in Tears of the Giraffe and in what ways? Who suffers as a result of this betrayal? What emotions are evoked by betrayal? Take a closer look at the different people involved and the roles they play.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)