|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the assistant detective's first client afraid is happening in his marriage?
2. Who has an ethical duty to tell the truth to a client?
3. Who feels it is his/her duty to help Matekoni?
4. Who is the South African woman that Michael shared a room with at the farm?
5. What does Ramotswe wonder about the orphan children in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Florence reveal her anxiety about her employment through physical symptoms?
2. How does Ramotswe welcome the children into their new home?
3. Why is it awkward when Matekoni tells Ramotswe about the children, and what does he fear?
4. Why does Ramotswe feel scared about visiting Ranta and how does Matekoni help her?
5. Who is Leaynne described in Chapter 15, and why does he owe Florence a favor?
6. What decision does Maketoni make about the orphans while sitting in his office?
7. Why is Makutsi upset about typing, and what does Ramotswe offer her?
8. What does Ramotswe discover about Ranta?
9. How does Florence get what she deserves?
10. What does Florence request from Paul, and how does he stop her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Andrea Curtin. What is her role in the story? What was Smith trying to accomplish by creating Andrea's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Smith uses more than one iteration on the theme of betrayal. Identify at least two themes about betrayal in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Tears of the Giraffe is a detective mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)