|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the orphans feel while at Matekoni's house?
2. Why is Florence arrested?
3. Where does Makutsi see the client's partner visit a house?
4. What does the adoptive father of the orphans want to provide for the children?
5. Who is most interested in learning about engines at the garage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ramotswe upset about the newspaper article on sleep?
2. How does Ramotswe respond to Matekoni's desire to adopt the orphans?
3. How does the orphan girl spend the night while her brother sleeps?
4. Who is Leaynne described in Chapter 15, and why does he owe Florence a favor?
5. What decision does Maketoni make about the orphans while sitting in his office?
6. What does the orphan girl feel she must do for Matekoni?
7. What does Matekoni dream about the orphan boy?
8. What does Makutsi discover on the trail of Badule's wife?
9. What does Ramotswe discover about Ranta?
10. Why does Ramotswe feel scared about visiting Ranta and how does Matekoni help her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think Smith named the book Tears of the Giraffe? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel or more mysteries with Ramotswe? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Smith uses more than one iteration on the theme of betrayal. Identify at least two themes about betrayal in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)