|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls his office and learns Florence has been arrested?
2. Who can't afford to pay for both an assistant detective and a secretary?
3. What is the assistant detective allowed to have subject to an agreement?
4. Whose disappearance does the professor say he has no knowledge of?
5. Who fell into a ditch and broke his neck and was buried quietly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Matekoni and Ramotswe are important characters that influence the story line and the actions of other characters in the novel.
Part 1) Compare Matekoni to Ramotswe. How are these two characters similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What psychological purpose or insight does Matekoni offer? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) Matekoni offers to examine the past of the murder suspects. What is implied in this decision and how does it reveal that the murder motive is connected to the past of the murderer and not the present circumstances alone?
Essay Topic 2
Smith uses more than one iteration on the theme of betrayal. Identify at least two themes about betrayal in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for the novel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Smith choose to use these places in the book?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)