|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom will Makutsi and her boss tell about the affair but will try to make him happy somehow?
2. What had Florence been suffering from since she learned of Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni's plans to marry Mma Ramotswe?
3. From where did Ranta receive a grant to work on the farm?
4. Who is a man who needs constant reassurance, according to Ramotswe?
5. Who stares at Ramotswe a long time before telling her the children are from an orphan farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ramotswe get Ranta to change his position on the Curtin story and talk to her?
2. What does Badule explain is his concern to Makutsi?
3. What does Florence request from Paul, and how does he stop her?
4. Why is it awkward when Matekoni tells Ramotswe about the children, and what does he fear?
5. How does Ramotswe respond to Matekoni's desire to adopt the orphans?
6. What does Matekoni discover about the two orphan children when he takes them to his garage?
7. What does Matekoni discover he enjoys while shopping?
8. Why is Ramotswe upset about the newspaper article on sleep?
9. How does Florence get what she deserves?
10. Why is Makutsi upset about typing, and what does Ramotswe offer her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
How does Florence Peko behave in order to develop her image as a high-society woman? Why does Florence Peko want to leave her middle-class neighborhood? What is appealing to her about the lifestyle of high society women?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think Smith named the book Tears of the Giraffe? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel or more mysteries with Ramotswe? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)