|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the assistant detective's first client afraid is happening in his marriage?
2. How do the orphans feel while at Matekoni's house?
3. Who feels it is his/her duty to help Matekoni?
4. Who visits Florence in prison?
5. Whose disappearance does the professor say he has no knowledge of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the orphan girl feel she must do for Matekoni?
2. After Makutsi types up her report, why does she not tell Badule immediately?
3. How does the orphan girl spend the night while her brother sleeps?
4. Who is Leaynne described in Chapter 15, and why does he owe Florence a favor?
5. What does Matekoni dream about the orphan boy?
6. Why is Ramotswe upset about the newspaper article on sleep?
7. What does Matekoni discover he enjoys while shopping?
8. What does Matekoni discover about the two orphan children when he takes them to his garage?
9. Why is Makutsi upset about typing, and what does Ramotswe offer her?
10. Why does Ramotswe feel scared about visiting Ranta and how does Matekoni help her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Matekoni and Ramotswe are important characters that influence the story line and the actions of other characters in the novel.
Part 1) Compare Matekoni to Ramotswe. How are these two characters similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What psychological purpose or insight does Matekoni offer? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) Matekoni offers to examine the past of the murder suspects. What is implied in this decision and how does it reveal that the murder motive is connected to the past of the murderer and not the present circumstances alone?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the detecting techniques of Precious Ramotswe and Makutsi. Cover how they each approach the various detective cases they receive and whether their intuitions were correct. Who actually solves the cases and how?
Essay Topic 3
Tears of the Giraffe is a detective mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)