|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ramotswe put in her pocket that she takes from the farm she visits in Chapter 9?
2. Who is the German that establishes a cooperative in Africa?
3. Where does Maketoni go to kill time when his fiance is out at the farm?
4. How many people get engaged in The Tears of the Giraffe?
5. How many apprentices does Matekoni have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Makutsi resent seeing chickens at her office?
2. Why is the orphan girl unable to walk?
3. What is Matekoni surprised to learn about his engagement when he goes to the orphan farm?
4. Why did Makutsi go to work for Ramotswe?
5. What is Tears of Giraffe centered around?
6. Why is Florence upset about her job?
7. What does Maketoni think about his two apprentices at the garage?
8. How is Tsbago described in Chapter 6?
9. How does Maketoni end up at the farm where the orphans are?
10. How does Potokwane convince Maketoni to adopt two orphans as a wedding present?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is sexuality portrayed in Tears of the Giraffe? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex?
Essay Topic 2
Who feels betrayed in Tears of the Giraffe and in what ways? Who suffers as a result of this betrayal? What emotions are evoked by betrayal? Take a closer look at the different people involved and the roles they play.
Essay Topic 3
Smith uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)