|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Ramotswe dictate letters?
2. What farm does Matekoni drive to?
3. As Florence is making lunch, who arrives home with the two children from the orphan farm?
4. How many apprentices does Matekoni have?
5. What did one of the secretary's classmates at school say the men who hired them were not interested in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Matekoni happy to get Ramotswe a ring?
2. Why does Andrea Curtin come to Ramostwe's agency?
3. What is the story behind the arrival of the two orphans to the farm?
4. What does Matekoni realize about the orphan children and his home?
5. How did Andrea try to learn about her son's whereabouts prior to her husband's death?
6. Why is Ramotswe reluctant to work on the Curtin case?
7. Why is the orphan girl unable to walk?
8. How is Michael described in Chapter 3?
9. How does Ramotswe discover where Ranta lives?
10. How does Maketoni end up at the farm where the orphans are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Smith uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Who feels betrayed in Tears of the Giraffe and in what ways? Who suffers as a result of this betrayal? What emotions are evoked by betrayal? Take a closer look at the different people involved and the roles they play.
Essay Topic 3
Appearances can be deceiving. Make a time line that shows the progression of your knowledge as a reader into the characters of the suspects in the case. Which characters reveal the theme of appearances can be deceiving most?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)