|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What parts are littered around the house that the fiance wants to live in?
2. Who had promised the children they would be taken care of?
3. Who was supposed to attend Dartmouth but decided to extend his stay in Africa for another year?
4. Who is the secretary at the detective agency happy to work for?
5. By whom was Maketoni persuaded without consulting his bride-to-be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Makutsi resent seeing chickens at her office?
2. How did Andrea try to learn about her son's whereabouts prior to her husband's death?
3. Why is the orphan girl unable to walk?
4. Why is Florence upset about her job?
5. How did the Curtins learn their son was missing?
6. Why did Makutsi go to work for Ramotswe?
7. Why is Matekoni anxious about his engagement?
8. What does Maketoni think about his two apprentices at the garage?
9. What decision does Matekoni make that amazes the maid?
10. How does Maketoni end up at the farm where the orphans are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Appearances can be deceiving. Make a time line that shows the progression of your knowledge as a reader into the characters of the suspects in the case. Which characters reveal the theme of appearances can be deceiving most?
Essay Topic 2
Tears of the Giraffe is a detective mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for the novel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Smith choose to use these places in the book?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)