|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Matekoni's garage called?
2. What did the woman in the story Matekoni learns about two orphans give birth to?
3. Whom do Ramotswe and the secretary consider evil?
4. What parts are littered around the house that the fiance wants to live in?
5. Who travels to Botswana to look for a missing relative?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tears of Giraffe centered around?
2. Why does Makutsi resent seeing chickens at her office?
3. Who is Leaynne described in Chapter 15, and why does he owe Florence a favor?
4. How does Ramotswe get Ranta to change his position on the Curtin story and talk to her?
5. Why did Makutsi go to work for Ramotswe?
6. Why does Florence want the help of a male friend to help her with her job?
7. Why is Matekoni happy to get Ramotswe a ring?
8. What does Ramotswe discover Badule received from Makutsi that leaves him happy?
9. Why does Ramotswe feel scared about visiting Ranta and how does Matekoni help her?
10. How is Tsbago described in Chapter 6?
Essay Topic 1
How is sexuality portrayed in Tears of the Giraffe? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Africa in the early 21st century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 20th century women did not have, if any?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Ramotswe's motivation and reasons for paying close attention to the letters. What do they reveal about the suspects?
This section contains 1,504 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)