|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the founder of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency?
2. What is the name of the farm that Ramotswe goes to visit?
3. What does Ramotswe think about the past?
4. What is the name of the maid currently working in the house who takes advantage of the owner?
5. Why does the secretary feel resentful about her office at the detective agency?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Matekoni and Ramotswe discuss about the ring and secrets in town?
2. Why did Makutsi go to work for Ramotswe?
3. What is the story behind the arrival of the two orphans to the farm?
4. What decision does Matekoni make that amazes the maid?
5. Why does Florence get defensive with Ramotswe?
6. How does Potokwane convince Maketoni to adopt two orphans as a wedding present?
7. How did the Curtins learn their son was missing?
8. How did Andrea try to learn about her son's whereabouts prior to her husband's death?
9. Why does Andrea Curtin come to Ramostwe's agency?
10. What is Tears of Giraffe centered around?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in Africa in the early 21st century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 20th century women did not have, if any?
Essay Topic 2
Smith uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think Smith named the book Tears of the Giraffe? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel or more mysteries with Ramotswe? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)