|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ramotswe drive to the farm with in Chapter 9?
2. Where does Maketoni go to kill time when his fiance is out at the farm?
3. Why is the maid amazed to see the two children from the farm?
4. Whose maid does the engaged couple want to retain for their house?
5. What is Ramotswe's secretary's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Makutsi resent seeing chickens at her office?
2. What is the story behind the arrival of the two orphans to the farm?
3. What is Matekoni's house like?
4. How does Maketoni end up at the farm where the orphans are?
5. How does Potokwane convince Maketoni to adopt two orphans as a wedding present?
6. Why does Florence want the help of a male friend to help her with her job?
7. Why is Matekoni happy to get Ramotswe a ring?
8. How did Andrea try to learn about her son's whereabouts prior to her husband's death?
9. Why did Makutsi go to work for Ramotswe?
10. How does Ramotswe discover where Ranta lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the novel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Smith choose to use these places in the book?
Essay Topic 2
How does Florence Peko behave in order to develop her image as a high-society woman? Why does Florence Peko want to leave her middle-class neighborhood? What is appealing to her about the lifestyle of high society women?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the detecting techniques of Precious Ramotswe and Makutsi. Cover how they each approach the various detective cases they receive and whether their intuitions were correct. Who actually solves the cases and how?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)