|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maketoni's new house big enough to have?
2. What did Florence feel she did well at Maketoni's house even though Ramotswe disagreed?
3. Who tells Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni the story of the two orphans?
4. What did Florence fail to do at Maketoni's house?
5. In the story Matekoni learns about two orphans, who is in a camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ramotswe's intuition tell her about Michael and the farm?
2. How did the Curtins learn their son was missing?
3. What is Tears of Giraffe centered around?
4. What does Matekoni realize about the orphan children and his home?
5. How is Michael described in Chapter 3?
6. Why does Florence want the help of a male friend to help her with her job?
7. When Ramotswe goes to the farm with Potsane, what does she discover?
8. What decision does Matekoni make that amazes the maid?
9. What does Maketoni think about his two apprentices at the garage?
10. How does Maketoni end up at the farm where the orphans are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is sexuality portrayed in Tears of the Giraffe? Which characters appear overtly sexual? Which characters are sexually appealing to others and why? What sexual taboos are broken and what issues are raised in relation to sex?
Essay Topic 2
Tears of the Giraffe is a detective mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in Africa in the early 21st century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 20th century women did not have, if any?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)