|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ramotswe do for a living?
2. Who arrives without an appointment at lunchtime to visit Ramotswe?
3. Where does the proprietor of the Tlokweng Road Speedy Motors go to meet his/her fiance?
4. What kind of building does the secretary at the detective agency wish she worked in?
5. At whose cousin's motel will the current maid of the house be given a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Makutsi resent seeing chickens at her office?
2. Why did Makutsi go to work for Ramotswe?
3. What is Tears of Giraffe centered around?
4. How does Ramotswe discover where Ranta lives?
5. What decision does Matekoni make that amazes the maid?
6. What do Matekoni and Ramotswe discuss about the ring and secrets in town?
7. What is Matekoni's house like?
8. How is Tsbago described in Chapter 6?
9. What does Maketoni think about his two apprentices at the garage?
10. When Ramotswe goes to the farm with Potsane, what does she discover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Appearances can be deceiving. Make a time line that shows the progression of your knowledge as a reader into the characters of the suspects in the case. Which characters reveal the theme of appearances can be deceiving most?
Essay Topic 2
Smith uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for the novel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Smith choose to use these places in the book?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)