|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story Matekoni learns about two orphans, who is in a camp?
2. Why does the secretary feel resentful about her office at the detective agency?
3. Why is the maid amazed to see the two children from the farm?
4. At whose cousin's motel will the current maid of the house be given a job?
5. What did one of the secretary's classmates at school say the men who hired them were not interested in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ramotswe discover where Ranta lives?
2. How does Potokwane convince Maketoni to adopt two orphans as a wedding present?
3. Why is Matekoni happy to get Ramotswe a ring?
4. What is Matekoni's house like?
5. Why did Makutsi go to work for Ramotswe?
6. How did Andrea try to learn about her son's whereabouts prior to her husband's death?
7. What is the story behind the arrival of the two orphans to the farm?
8. What does Ramotswe's intuition tell her about Michael and the farm?
9. What is Tears of Giraffe centered around?
10. Why is the orphan girl unable to walk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Badule's character, comparing and contrasting him with Matekoni and Dr. Ranta.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Smith uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)