|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of furniture does Matekoni fix at the farm?
2. When his fiance is out at the farm, Maketoni visits people who need help doing what?
3. Whom does Florence feel that she can no longer entertain at Maketoni's house?
4. Whose house does the fiance want to live in?
5. As Florence is making lunch, who arrives home with the two children from the orphan farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Potokwane convince Maketoni to adopt two orphans as a wedding present?
2. What do Matekoni and Ramotswe discuss about the ring and secrets in town?
3. What does Ramotswe's intuition tell her about Michael and the farm?
4. Why is Florence upset about her job?
5. What does Maketoni think about his two apprentices at the garage?
6. How is Tsbago described in Chapter 6?
7. How does Ramotswe discover where Ranta lives?
8. Why is Ramotswe reluctant to work on the Curtin case?
9. Why is Matekoni anxious about his engagement?
10. How does Maketoni end up at the farm where the orphans are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in Africa in the early 21st century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 20th century women did not have, if any?
Essay Topic 2
Both Matekoni and Ramotswe are important characters that influence the story line and the actions of other characters in the novel.
Part 1) Compare Matekoni to Ramotswe. How are these two characters similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What psychological purpose or insight does Matekoni offer? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) Matekoni offers to examine the past of the murder suspects. What is implied in this decision and how does it reveal that the murder motive is connected to the past of the murderer and not the present circumstances alone?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Ramotswe's motivation and reasons for paying close attention to the letters. What do they reveal about the suspects?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)