|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ramotswe want to live?
2. What is Maketoni's new house big enough to have?
3. What kind of building does the secretary at the detective agency wish she worked in?
4. Where does Maketoni go to kill time when his fiance is out at the farm?
5. Whose maid does the engaged couple want to retain for their house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story behind the arrival of the two orphans to the farm?
2. Why does Andrea Curtin come to Ramostwe's agency?
3. What is Matekoni's house like?
4. What does Ramotswe's intuition tell her about Michael and the farm?
5. Why did Makutsi go to work for Ramotswe?
6. What does Matekoni realize about the orphan children and his home?
7. Why does Florence get defensive with Ramotswe?
8. How does Maketoni end up at the farm where the orphans are?
9. Why is the orphan girl unable to walk?
10. How did the Curtins learn their son was missing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Appearances can be deceiving. Make a time line that shows the progression of your knowledge as a reader into the characters of the suspects in the case. Which characters reveal the theme of appearances can be deceiving most?
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for the novel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Smith choose to use these places in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Smith uses more than one iteration on the theme of betrayal. Identify at least two themes about betrayal in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)