|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What parts are littered around the house that the fiance wants to live in?
2. What farm does Matekoni drive to?
3. What is Matekoni's garage called?
4. Where does the man Ramotswe consider evil work?
5. What tribe do the children that come to Maketoni's house belong to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Florence upset about her job?
2. Why did Makutsi go to work for Ramotswe?
3. How does Potokwane convince Maketoni to adopt two orphans as a wedding present?
4. What does Maketoni think about his two apprentices at the garage?
5. What does Matekoni realize about the orphan children and his home?
6. What decision does Matekoni make that amazes the maid?
7. What do Matekoni and Ramotswe discuss about the ring and secrets in town?
8. When Ramotswe goes to the farm with Potsane, what does she discover?
9. What does Ramotswe's intuition tell her about Michael and the farm?
10. How is Michael described in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Matekoni and Ramotswe are important characters that influence the story line and the actions of other characters in the novel.
Part 1) Compare Matekoni to Ramotswe. How are these two characters similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What psychological purpose or insight does Matekoni offer? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) Matekoni offers to examine the past of the murder suspects. What is implied in this decision and how does it reveal that the murder motive is connected to the past of the murderer and not the present circumstances alone?
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for the novel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Smith choose to use these places in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Badule's character, comparing and contrasting him with Matekoni and Dr. Ranta.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)