|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many apprentices does Matekoni have?
2. Whom does the woman Ramotswe picks up on the way to the farm introduce her to that worked on the farm?
3. What does Ramotswe's intuition tell her about Michael and the farm?
4. Who does Ramotswe pick up on the way to the farm on Saturday morning?
5. What is Maketoni's new house big enough to have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story behind the arrival of the two orphans to the farm?
2. What decision does Matekoni make that amazes the maid?
3. Why does Makutsi resent seeing chickens at her office?
4. What does Badule explain is his concern to Makutsi?
5. Why is Ramotswe upset about the newspaper article on sleep?
6. Why is Ramotswe curious about the orphan children when she comes out of the post office?
7. After obtaining the information she needed, what does Ramotswe decide to do for Curtin and Ranta?
8. How did Michael die according to Dr. Ranta?
9. What does Matekoni dream about the orphan boy?
10. Why does Florence get defensive with Ramotswe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Matekoni and Ramotswe are important characters that influence the story line and the actions of other characters in the novel.
Part 1) Compare Matekoni to Ramotswe. How are these two characters similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What psychological purpose or insight does Matekoni offer? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) Matekoni offers to examine the past of the murder suspects. What is implied in this decision and how does it reveal that the murder motive is connected to the past of the murderer and not the present circumstances alone?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is the use of hints or clues to suggest what will happen later in the story. The objective of this lesson is to discuss the use of foreshadowing in the book. Why does Smith insert foreshadowing into the story? is it effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,557 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)