|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ramotswe pick up on the way to the farm on Saturday morning?
2. What kind of ring is Matekoni expected to buy?
3. Who is the founder of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency?
4. Whom do Ramotswe and the secretary consider evil?
5. What kind of building does the secretary at the detective agency wish she worked in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Badule explain is his concern to Makutsi?
2. What does Ramotswe discover Badule received from Makutsi that leaves him happy?
3. How did the Curtins learn their son was missing?
4. What is Florence's plan to frame Ramotswe?
5. Who is Leaynne described in Chapter 15, and why does he owe Florence a favor?
6. How does the orphan girl feel about Matekoni and his residence?
7. When Ramotswe goes to the farm with Potsane, what does she discover?
8. What does Matekoni discover he enjoys while shopping?
9. What does Matekoni realize about the orphan children and his home?
10. Why is Ramotswe reluctant to work on the Curtin case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Smith uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 2
Both Matekoni and Ramotswe are important characters that influence the story line and the actions of other characters in the novel.
Part 1) Compare Matekoni to Ramotswe. How are these two characters similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What psychological purpose or insight does Matekoni offer? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) Matekoni offers to examine the past of the murder suspects. What is implied in this decision and how does it reveal that the murder motive is connected to the past of the murderer and not the present circumstances alone?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Andrea Curtin. What is her role in the story? What was Smith trying to accomplish by creating Andrea's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,401 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)