|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose house does the fiance want to live in?
2. From what group did Ramotswe's visitor hear about her company?
3. What parts of the house are very dirty?
4. How many people get engaged in The Tears of the Giraffe?
5. Whom could Maketoni adopt without a lot of formality?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ramotswe reluctant to work on the Curtin case?
2. What does Ramotswe's intuition tell her about Michael and the farm?
3. What decision does Matekoni make without consulting his fiance?
4. How does Maketoni end up at the farm where the orphans are?
5. Why is Matekoni anxious about his engagement?
6. What is Matekoni's house like?
7. What decision does Matekoni make that amazes the maid?
8. Why does Makutsi resent seeing chickens at her office?
9. Why is Florence upset about her job?
10. How is Michael described in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the detecting techniques of Precious Ramotswe and Makutsi. Cover how they each approach the various detective cases they receive and whether their intuitions were correct. Who actually solves the cases and how?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Africa in the early 21st century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 20th century women did not have, if any?
Essay Topic 3
Who feels betrayed in Tears of the Giraffe and in what ways? Who suffers as a result of this betrayal? What emotions are evoked by betrayal? Take a closer look at the different people involved and the roles they play.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)