|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who experienced kindness as a child that makes him/her generous of spirit?
2. Who had promised the children they would be taken care of?
3. Who likes to leave the door open at the detective agency?
4. What kind of furniture does Matekoni fix at the farm?
5. What does Ramotswe think about the past?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Matekoni make without consulting his fiance?
2. Why did Makutsi go to work for Ramotswe?
3. What is the story behind the arrival of the two orphans to the farm?
4. How does Ramotswe discover where Ranta lives?
5. What decision does Matekoni make that amazes the maid?
6. Why does Andrea Curtin come to Ramostwe's agency?
7. What do Matekoni and Ramotswe discuss about the ring and secrets in town?
8. Why is Matekoni happy to get Ramotswe a ring?
9. Why is Florence upset about her job?
10. How is Michael described in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think Smith named the book Tears of the Giraffe? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel or more mysteries with Ramotswe? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Who feels betrayed in Tears of the Giraffe and in what ways? Who suffers as a result of this betrayal? What emotions are evoked by betrayal? Take a closer look at the different people involved and the roles they play.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in Africa in the early 21st century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 20th century women did not have, if any?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)