|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By whom was Maketoni persuaded without consulting his bride-to-be?
2. Who had promised the children they would be taken care of?
3. Where does Maketoni go to kill time when his fiance is out at the farm?
4. What is Ramotswe's secretary's name?
5. What did Florence feel she did well at Maketoni's house even though Ramotswe disagreed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ramotswe's intuition tell her about Michael and the farm?
2. Why did Makutsi go to work for Ramotswe?
3. What do Matekoni and Ramotswe discuss about the ring and secrets in town?
4. Why does Makutsi resent seeing chickens at her office?
5. How does Ramotswe discover where Ranta lives?
6. Why is Ramotswe reluctant to work on the Curtin case?
7. How did the Curtins learn their son was missing?
8. Why is the orphan girl unable to walk?
9. What decision does Matekoni make that amazes the maid?
10. Why is Florence upset about her job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Florence Peko behave in order to develop her image as a high-society woman? Why does Florence Peko want to leave her middle-class neighborhood? What is appealing to her about the lifestyle of high society women?
Essay Topic 2
Who feels betrayed in Tears of the Giraffe and in what ways? Who suffers as a result of this betrayal? What emotions are evoked by betrayal? Take a closer look at the different people involved and the roles they play.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for the novel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Smith choose to use these places in the book?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)