|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the founder of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency?
2. As Florence is making lunch, who arrives home with the two children from the orphan farm?
3. What disease damaged the bones of the girl, preventing her from walking prior to going to the farm?
4. Whom could Maketoni adopt without a lot of formality?
5. Why is Florence upset with Maketoni?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ramotswe discover where Ranta lives?
2. Why does Florence get defensive with Ramotswe?
3. How does Maketoni end up at the farm where the orphans are?
4. How is Tsbago described in Chapter 6?
5. How does Potokwane convince Maketoni to adopt two orphans as a wedding present?
6. What does Matekoni realize about the orphan children and his home?
7. Why is Florence upset about her job?
8. Why is Matekoni anxious about his engagement?
9. What is Matekoni surprised to learn about his engagement when he goes to the orphan farm?
10. Why does Florence want the help of a male friend to help her with her job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the novel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Smith choose to use these places in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Badule's character, comparing and contrasting him with Matekoni and Dr. Ranta.
Essay Topic 3
Tears of the Giraffe is a detective mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)