|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lotus Blossom need a teahouse for?
2. What is the Haitian word for sweet potato?
3. What did some "fool Senator" do back in Washington?
4. What does it mean for Fisby to cover his face with the fan when he starts the wrestling match?
5. Where does Col. Purdy tell Gregovich to pile the lumber?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Sakini as the narrator and describe how he is used in this play as narrator and as a character. What is Sakini's personal point-of-view and how does it influence the audience during the play? Is a narrator always used to influence or is he usually there just to tell the story?
Essay Topic 2
What does Col. Purdy say about teaching democracy to the villagers? What did Col. Purdy do before the war? Do you think his occupation plays into his role as a Colonel? How?
Essay Topic 3
What does Mr. Oshira say to Fisby about teahouses in the big cities? How does the description of the teahouses in the big cities convince Fisby to build a teahouse? What specifically does Oshira say that convinces Fisby? How will the other villagers react to a teahouse being built in their community? What insight does Oshira share that makes Fisby believe it is the right thing to do?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)