|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the play, what does Sakini wish that the August Moon brings to the audience?
2. Fisby tells Capt. McLean that he feels free. When does he say this feeling started?
3. According to Sakini at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2, what has the island of Okinawa survived?
4. What does it mean for Fisby to cover his face with the fan when he starts the wrestling match?
5. When Lotus Blossom asks Fisby if she can marry someone else, what does he tell her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does it mean to the resident of the village to sit in the pine grove and watch the sun go down while drinking tea? What ideals does this promote?
Essay Topic 2
Describe democracy as viewed by Fisby and by Sakini. What are the differences and similarities of each viewpoint? By the end of the play, how have Fisby and Sakini's views of democracy changed?
Essay Topic 3
Other than Lotus Blossom, the character of Miss Higa Jiga is the only other woman described in much detail. Describe Miss Higa Jiga. What does Miss Higa Jiga represent? What does she symbolized? What changes does she make during the play?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)