|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fisby say about the villagers' work?
2. What colors are the poles wrapped in during the wresting match?
3. What did the potential buyers think of the straw hats?
4. What is the villagers' liquor made from?
5. What is the cloth that the white suits are made from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Other than Lotus Blossom, the character of Miss Higa Jiga is the only other woman described in much detail. Describe Miss Higa Jiga. What does Miss Higa Jiga represent? What does she symbolized? What changes does she make during the play?
Essay Topic 2
The cricket holds a special place in Okinawan society. Explain the importance of the cricket in Okinawan society. Do you think the villagers believe in the importance of the cricket? Why do you think the villagers believe the cricket should hold such a place of honor?
Essay Topic 3
Describe democracy as viewed by Fisby and by Sakini. What are the differences and similarities of each viewpoint? By the end of the play, how have Fisby and Sakini's views of democracy changed?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)