|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cricket cages does Fisby own by the time he meets Capt. McLean?
2. What man from town would Lotus Blossom like to marry in the end?
3. Why, according to Fisby, must he build a teahouse?
4. What is Fisby going to call his new liquor company?
5. Where is the money earned from the sale of liquor?
Essay Topic 1
In the play, what is the difference between Okinawan industry and American industry? What role do machines play in the comparison?
Essay Topic 2
What does Mr. Oshira say to Fisby about teahouses in the big cities? How does the description of the teahouses in the big cities convince Fisby to build a teahouse? What specifically does Oshira say that convinces Fisby? How will the other villagers react to a teahouse being built in their community? What insight does Oshira share that makes Fisby believe it is the right thing to do?
Essay Topic 3
How is the chrysanthemum a symbol throughout the play? What different meanings does it have as the play evolves? Describe the difference between the bud and a chrysanthemum in full bloom. Do you think Fisby ever understands the significance of the flower as the villagers do?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)