|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in love with Lotus Blossom?
2. What is Sakini chewing when the play begins?
3. What does the daughter need to bring with her on the trip?
4. What is the document called that Fisby is supposed to follow to help the village recover?
5. What does it mean to give someone a chrysanthemum bud?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the teahouse is reassembled on stage, what is the last light to come on? What is this symbolic of? How does this complete the play?
2. Why is it funny when McLean describes that his "Japanese beetles are eating up my Chinese peas?" Is there a bigger significance to this than the plant names? Is there irony in this comment?
3. Why does Lotus Blossom want to go to America? How does she see the country? What does Fisby think would be her reality?
4. The poles surrounding the wresting pen have different colored cloth on each of them. What do the colors symbolize? What does this tell us about the culture of the villagers?
5. Describe Plan B. How does Col. Purdy decide to teach democracy?
6. What speech is Fisby going to give when he arrives in Tobiki? What does Sakini call the speech? Why? What does this tell the audience about the history of the island and its people?
7. How does Col. Purdy lie to the men about their bathwater? What scientific formula does he come up with? What does this tell the audience about Col. Purdy and the way he thinks?
8. When Capt. McLean arrives in Tobiki, how does he find Fisby? What is Fisby dressed in and what is the appearance of his office? What does this tell the audience about Fisby?
9. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2, what does Sakini tell us about the history of Okinawa? Who have they survived? Who has invaded them? Who's invading them now?
10. What are the villagers going to do with all the money they make selling their brandy? Why is it important to wear white coats? What is the white coat a symbol of for the people of Okinawa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Mr. Oshira say to Fisby about teahouses in the big cities? How does the description of the teahouses in the big cities convince Fisby to build a teahouse? What specifically does Oshira say that convinces Fisby? How will the other villagers react to a teahouse being built in their community? What insight does Oshira share that makes Fisby believe it is the right thing to do?
Essay Topic 2
How do you think the Congressman defines "get-up and go?" How do you think the Congressman will view the blending of two cultures? What will surprise the Congressman when he arrives in the village?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Fisby sees Okinawan women. From this description, do you get the sense that he would be disappointed if Lotus Blossom were to move to America? How does Fisby think moving to America would affect Lotus Blossom? Is his choice in not marrying her for her sake or his or both?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)