|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Fisby to instruct the women of the village?
2. What does "Hai" mean in English according to Sakini?
3. How often is Fisby supposed to send a report to Col. Purdy?
4. What noise can be heard as Fisby tries to hear who is calling him?
5. Why is the daughter going on the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the audience become aware of McLean's hobby? How does McLean react to the mention of chemicals being used on plants in the area? What does he propose doing instead? What does this tell the audience about McLean's character?
2. How does Sakini refer to the goat as a person? What does he say to Fisby? Why is there no reaction from Fisby?
3. How are the villagers getting drunk? How do they make liquor? Why do they make it?
4. What is Miss Higa Jiga's complaint about Lotus Blossom? How does she want to overcome this issue? How does this idea fit in with Fisby's American thought process?
5. How does Sakini describe the trip to Tobiki by jeep? What does this tell the audience about Fisby's control?
6. What is the clue that Col. Purdy is not a very learned man?
7. Why does Lotus Blossom want to go to America? How does she see the country? What does Fisby think would be her reality?
8. McLean goes into great detail about worms? What did you learn about worms from his descriptions? Why does this concern Col. Purdy?
9. Why do the villagers hide things? What does this tell the audience about their history?
10. How does Fisby achieve peace with himself in the end? What happens to his ambition? How does he describe his own balance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe democracy as viewed by Fisby and by Sakini. What are the differences and similarities of each viewpoint? By the end of the play, how have Fisby and Sakini's views of democracy changed?
Essay Topic 2
In the play, what is the difference between Okinawan industry and American industry? What role do machines play in the comparison?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think the teahouse would be viewed by visitors? Compare that view to how you think the community views the teahouse. How does the teahouse add value to the community?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)