|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upsets Col. Purdy about the men dancing at the officer's club?
2. What is Col. Purdy looking for as Act 1, Scene 1 ends?
3. How does Fisby take his "medication?"
4. Under what title should information be reported about children being born?
5. What should Fisby wear when he goes in the sun?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fisby create industry? What is he trying to do for the villagers?
2. Why do the judges declare Mr. Hokaida the winner of the wrestling match?
3. What is the symbol behind a chrysanthemum bud? Why does Lotus Blossom give this to Fisby? Why does this bother him?
4. When Col. Purdy arrives unannounced in Tobiki, why does Fisby cover his legs? What do you think goes through Fisby's mind at that moment?
5. How does Sakini describe the trip to Tobiki by jeep? What does this tell the audience about Fisby's control?
6. What do the villagers want to build instead of a schoolhouse? What does this say about the values of the villagers? What does this say about Fisby?
7. What do you think is the difference between the goods made by the villagers and those sold in the 5&10 cent stores? Discuss machine vs. handmade.
8. What bothers Col. Purdy about the men dancing together at the officer's club? What does he decide to do to rectify the situation?
9. What speech is Fisby going to give when he arrives in Tobiki? What does Sakini call the speech? Why? What does this tell the audience about the history of the island and its people?
10. What does Fisby say about the teahouse to Col. Purdy? How does he reference Purdy's mother? Why does this upset Col. Purdy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the chrysanthemum a symbol throughout the play? What different meanings does it have as the play evolves? Describe the difference between the bud and a chrysanthemum in full bloom. Do you think Fisby ever understands the significance of the flower as the villagers do?
Essay Topic 2
Is the role of a Geisha as simple as Sakini describes? Does Lotus Blossom play a realistic Geisha in this play? Why do you think that?
Essay Topic 3
Judging from Col. Purdy's knowledge of the French language, what do you think were his ambitions before the war? How closely did his wartime service resemble his dreams? Do you think his wife always shared his dreams and do you think they share dreams now?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)