|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sakini explain to Fisby that the animal has no children?
2. What is Miss Higa Jiga complaining about in particular?
3. What shape will the new schoolhouse be in the village?
4. What specific questions does Col. Purdy have for Fisby when he phones?
5. What should Fisby be wearing out in the sun according to Col. Purdy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What speech is Fisby going to give when he arrives in Tobiki? What does Sakini call the speech? Why? What does this tell the audience about the history of the island and its people?
2. What does Fisby say to the villagers after their failure selling their good? Why does he want them to be proud of their work? Why is their work different?
3. Describe the road to Tobiki. What does this tell the audience about how the journey will go?
4. What does Fisby offer Capt. McLean upon his arrival? Why is this important?
5. What are the villagers going to do with all the money they make selling their brandy? Why is it important to wear white coats? What is the white coat a symbol of for the people of Okinawa?
6. Why does Lotus Blossom want to go to America? How does she see the country? What does Fisby think would be her reality?
7. When Fisby offers Capt. McLean tsukemomo, McLean declines saying he just ate something. What? What is important about what Capt. McLean just ate? How does this outline the conflict between McLean and Fisby?
8. What is the subtitle of Plan B? What is funny about the title? Why?
9. What does the old woman sitting on top of the jeep foreshadow? What clue does this character give to the general plot of the play?
10. Describe the Tobiki Co-Operative. How is it set up? Why does Col. Purdy think it is Communism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the role of a Geisha as simple as Sakini describes? Does Lotus Blossom play a realistic Geisha in this play? Why do you think that?
Essay Topic 2
Other than Lotus Blossom, the character of Miss Higa Jiga is the only other woman described in much detail. Describe Miss Higa Jiga. What does Miss Higa Jiga represent? What does she symbolized? What changes does she make during the play?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Fisby sees Okinawan women. From this description, do you get the sense that he would be disappointed if Lotus Blossom were to move to America? How does Fisby think moving to America would affect Lotus Blossom? Is his choice in not marrying her for her sake or his or both?
This section contains 1,801 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)