|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the villagers want to keep Mr. Omura as mayor?
2. What items does Miss Higa Jiga want Fisby to send for so that the women in the village can compete with Lotus Blossom?
3. How long does it take a horse to travel to the village?
4. What noise can be heard as Fisby tries to hear who is calling him?
5. What is Fisby wearing when Col. Purdy calls him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the ancient man who jumps on the jeep at the last minute a symbol for something? What?
2. The poles surrounding the wresting pen have different colored cloth on each of them. What do the colors symbolize? What does this tell us about the culture of the villagers?
3. What did Col. Purdy promise his wife? What does this tell the audience about his marriage to Mrs. Purdy?
4. What do the villagers want to build instead of a schoolhouse? What does this say about the values of the villagers? What does this say about Fisby?
5. What is the daughter going on the trip for? What must she bring along? How does this complicate the trip?
6. Describe Plan B. How does Col. Purdy decide to teach democracy?
7. When Fisby gives Lotus Blossom a chrysanthemum in full bloom, what is he saying to her, according to her traditions? What misunderstanding do you think will come of this action?
8. Describe the Tobiki Co-Operative. How is it set up? Why does Col. Purdy think it is Communism?
9. What does Fisby tell Mclean about his personal happiness? When did he become happy? Why? What is happening to Fisby? How is he changing?
10. What is the symbol behind a chrysanthemum bud? Why does Lotus Blossom give this to Fisby? Why does this bother him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the role of a Geisha as simple as Sakini describes? Does Lotus Blossom play a realistic Geisha in this play? Why do you think that?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the style of Fisby's sales pitch to the other village Army officers to sell the brandy. What do you recognize about his sale's pitch? Is this a typically "American" way to sell? Is this regarded as honorable? What about Fisby sale's pitch makes this a funny scene?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Fisby sees Okinawan women. From this description, do you get the sense that he would be disappointed if Lotus Blossom were to move to America? How does Fisby think moving to America would affect Lotus Blossom? Is his choice in not marrying her for her sake or his or both?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)