|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Fisby tells one of the people to get off, what does this character say to Fisby?
2. When someone gives a cricket cage, what is not included?
3. How does Fisby take his "medication?"
4. Why did Fisby not report the birth of six kids in his report to the Col. under Population Increases?
5. Why do the villagers want to keep Mr. Omura as mayor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Plan B. How does Col. Purdy decide to teach democracy?
2. How does Sakini explain what a Geisha does? Does this information change Fisby's mind?
3. How does Sakini describe Tobiki at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1? Why do those descriptions not go together? How does this create conflict?
4. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2, what does Sakini tell us about the history of Okinawa? Who have they survived? Who has invaded them? Who's invading them now?
5. When Col. Purdy arrives unannounced in Tobiki, why does Fisby cover his legs? What do you think goes through Fisby's mind at that moment?
6. What is happening as Act 2, Scene 2 opens? What does this action suggest about Fisby's character? What has changed about Fisby?
7. How does Fisby create industry? What is he trying to do for the villagers?
8. How does Sakini describe the trip to Tobiki by jeep? What does this tell the audience about Fisby's control?
9. How does Fisby achieve peace with himself in the end? What happens to his ambition? How does he describe his own balance?
10. What does Miss Higa Jiga threaten to do if Fisby does not agree with her request? Why is this important? What does this do to the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Col. Purdy say about teaching democracy to the villagers? What did Col. Purdy do before the war? Do you think his occupation plays into his role as a Colonel? How?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the style of Fisby's sales pitch to the other village Army officers to sell the brandy. What do you recognize about his sale's pitch? Is this a typically "American" way to sell? Is this regarded as honorable? What about Fisby sale's pitch makes this a funny scene?
Essay Topic 3
What does Mr. Oshira say to Fisby about teahouses in the big cities? How does the description of the teahouses in the big cities convince Fisby to build a teahouse? What specifically does Oshira say that convinces Fisby? How will the other villagers react to a teahouse being built in their community? What insight does Oshira share that makes Fisby believe it is the right thing to do?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)