|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fisby wearing when Col. Purdy calls him?
2. How does Sakini think Fisby should dole out the jobs?
3. What is tsukemono?
4. Where does the animal ride on the trip?
5. What is the daughter pushing when she arrives in Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. The poles surrounding the wresting pen have different colored cloth on each of them. What do the colors symbolize? What does this tell us about the culture of the villagers?
2. Why do the judges declare Mr. Hokaida the winner of the wrestling match?
3. What are the villagers going to do with all the money they make selling their brandy? Why is it important to wear white coats? What is the white coat a symbol of for the people of Okinawa?
4. What is Miss Higa Jiga's complaint about Lotus Blossom? How does she want to overcome this issue? How does this idea fit in with Fisby's American thought process?
5. Why is the August moon special? Why is this important to know in this play?
6. Who does Col. Purdy decide to send to check on Fisby? Why?
7. What is happening as Act 2, Scene 2 opens? What does this action suggest about Fisby's character? What has changed about Fisby?
8. Why does Sakini tell Fisby to cover his face with a fan to start the wrestling match? What does this mean?
9. What is the symbol behind a chrysanthemum bud? Why does Lotus Blossom give this to Fisby? Why does this bother him?
10. How does Sakini explain what a Geisha does? Does this information change Fisby's mind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the chrysanthemum a symbol throughout the play? What different meanings does it have as the play evolves? Describe the difference between the bud and a chrysanthemum in full bloom. Do you think Fisby ever understands the significance of the flower as the villagers do?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Fisby sees Okinawan women. From this description, do you get the sense that he would be disappointed if Lotus Blossom were to move to America? How does Fisby think moving to America would affect Lotus Blossom? Is his choice in not marrying her for her sake or his or both?
Essay Topic 3
Who, at the beginning of the play, owns a white coat? What honor does this bring to the wearer? Would anyone wearing a white coat receive the same honor? Why? Why not?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)