|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When, according to Col. Purdy, will US troops be out of Okinawa?
2. Who is in love with Lotus Blossom?
3. Which villager speaks English other than Sakini?
4. What do the people of the village want Fisby to build?
5. Sakini explains to Fisby that the village has had many invaders. What do the people do now to protect their treasures?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sakini describe Tobiki at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1? Why do those descriptions not go together? How does this create conflict?
2. What is the clue that Col. Purdy is not a very learned man?
3. What does Miss Higa Jiga threaten to do if Fisby does not agree with her request? Why is this important? What does this do to the story?
4. How does Sakini describe the trip to Tobiki by jeep? What does this tell the audience about Fisby's control?
5. When Fisby offers Capt. McLean tsukemomo, McLean declines saying he just ate something. What? What is important about what Capt. McLean just ate? How does this outline the conflict between McLean and Fisby?
6. Why is McLean upset about being sent away? How does he view what will happen to his plants?
7. Describe the Tobiki Co-Operative. How is it set up? Why does Col. Purdy think it is Communism?
8. What does Fisby offer Capt. McLean upon his arrival? Why is this important?
9. Why do the villagers hide things? What does this tell the audience about their history?
10. Why do the judges declare Mr. Hokaida the winner of the wrestling match?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think the teahouse would be viewed by visitors? Compare that view to how you think the community views the teahouse. How does the teahouse add value to the community?
Essay Topic 2
Describe democracy as viewed by Fisby and by Sakini. What are the differences and similarities of each viewpoint? By the end of the play, how have Fisby and Sakini's views of democracy changed?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think the Congressman defines "get-up and go?" How do you think the Congressman will view the blending of two cultures? What will surprise the Congressman when he arrives in the village?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)