|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Mr. Sumata bring for Fisby?
2. What must Fisby do with the women of the small village?
3. Who is the best carpenter in the village?
4. Why is the daughter going on the trip?
5. Who helps Lotus Blossom to move?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sakini refer to the goat as a person? What does he say to Fisby? Why is there no reaction from Fisby?
2. What is Miss Higa Jiga's complaint about Lotus Blossom? How does she want to overcome this issue? How does this idea fit in with Fisby's American thought process?
3. The poles surrounding the wresting pen have different colored cloth on each of them. What do the colors symbolize? What does this tell us about the culture of the villagers?
4. How are the villagers getting drunk? How do they make liquor? Why do they make it?
5. When Fisby gives Lotus Blossom a chrysanthemum in full bloom, what is he saying to her, according to her traditions? What misunderstanding do you think will come of this action?
6. How does Sakini explain what a Geisha does? Does this information change Fisby's mind?
7. When does the audience become aware of McLean's hobby? How does McLean react to the mention of chemicals being used on plants in the area? What does he propose doing instead? What does this tell the audience about McLean's character?
8. Why do cricket cages always come empty? What does this idea tell us about the philosophy of the people of Tobiki?
9. What is the daughter going on the trip for? What must she bring along? How does this complicate the trip?
10. McLean goes into great detail about worms? What did you learn about worms from his descriptions? Why does this concern Col. Purdy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Col. Purdy say about teaching democracy to the villagers? What did Col. Purdy do before the war? Do you think his occupation plays into his role as a Colonel? How?
Essay Topic 2
In the play, what is the difference between Okinawan industry and American industry? What role do machines play in the comparison?
Essay Topic 3
How is the chrysanthemum a symbol throughout the play? What different meanings does it have as the play evolves? Describe the difference between the bud and a chrysanthemum in full bloom. Do you think Fisby ever understands the significance of the flower as the villagers do?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)