|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom is Col. Purdy sending to check up on Fisby?
2. What upsets Col. Purdy about the men dancing at the officer's club?
3. What do the villagers do at 5:30 p.m.?
4. How long does it take a horse to travel to the village?
5. Why is the daughter going on the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lotus Blossom going to remember Fisby? What is she going to do in remembrance?
2. What is the clue that Col. Purdy is not a very learned man?
3. Why does Lotus Blossom want to go to America? How does she see the country? What does Fisby think would be her reality?
4. What speech is Fisby going to give when he arrives in Tobiki? What does Sakini call the speech? Why? What does this tell the audience about the history of the island and its people?
5. What does Col. Purdy order Gregovich to do to the brandy stills? Why does he think this is the correct plan of action?
6. What does Fisby say about the teahouse to Col. Purdy? How does he reference Purdy's mother? Why does this upset Col. Purdy?
7. When Col. Purdy arrives unannounced in Tobiki, why does Fisby cover his legs? What do you think goes through Fisby's mind at that moment?
8. What bothers Col. Purdy about the men dancing together at the officer's club? What does he decide to do to rectify the situation?
9. What is happening as Act 2, Scene 2 opens? What does this action suggest about Fisby's character? What has changed about Fisby?
10. How does Col. Purdy compare Fisby to Major McEvoy? What has Major McEvoy done in his village that the Col. admires? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the style of Fisby's sales pitch to the other village Army officers to sell the brandy. What do you recognize about his sale's pitch? Is this a typically "American" way to sell? Is this regarded as honorable? What about Fisby sale's pitch makes this a funny scene?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of Sakini as the narrator and describe how he is used in this play as narrator and as a character. What is Sakini's personal point-of-view and how does it influence the audience during the play? Is a narrator always used to influence or is he usually there just to tell the story?
Essay Topic 3
What happens to the bi-monthly Progress Reports? How are the cricket cages used for humor when trying to find important paperwork in Fisby's office? Why does Fisby take such a loose approach with these reports? Could he have done this differently and avoided problems in the end? Why doesn't he?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)