|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the 2nd-best carpenter in the village?
2. How is Fisby to instruct the women of the village?
3. Who is the old woman sitting on top of the bundles related to?
4. Where will the people of the village get the lumber for their building project?
5. How does Sakini get Fisby to let Lotus Blossom teach the other women in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbol behind a chrysanthemum bud? Why does Lotus Blossom give this to Fisby? Why does this bother him?
2. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2, what does Sakini tell us about the history of Okinawa? Who have they survived? Who has invaded them? Who's invading them now?
3. Why is the August moon special? Why is this important to know in this play?
4. When Fisby gives Lotus Blossom a chrysanthemum in full bloom, what is he saying to her, according to her traditions? What misunderstanding do you think will come of this action?
5. How does Sakini explain what a Geisha does? Does this information change Fisby's mind?
6. How does Sakini refer to the goat as a person? What does he say to Fisby? Why is there no reaction from Fisby?
7. When does the audience become aware of McLean's hobby? How does McLean react to the mention of chemicals being used on plants in the area? What does he propose doing instead? What does this tell the audience about McLean's character?
8. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, Sakini notes that, "Prosperity giggle like silly girl. Things we do best...not wanted. Things we think least of...wanted most." What is he referring to? How did he create this thought process?
9. How does Sakini describe Tobiki at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1? Why do those descriptions not go together? How does this create conflict?
10. The poles surrounding the wresting pen have different colored cloth on each of them. What do the colors symbolize? What does this tell us about the culture of the villagers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Fisby sees Okinawan women. From this description, do you get the sense that he would be disappointed if Lotus Blossom were to move to America? How does Fisby think moving to America would affect Lotus Blossom? Is his choice in not marrying her for her sake or his or both?
Essay Topic 2
What does Mr. Oshira say to Fisby about teahouses in the big cities? How does the description of the teahouses in the big cities convince Fisby to build a teahouse? What specifically does Oshira say that convinces Fisby? How will the other villagers react to a teahouse being built in their community? What insight does Oshira share that makes Fisby believe it is the right thing to do?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think the teahouse would be viewed by visitors? Compare that view to how you think the community views the teahouse. How does the teahouse add value to the community?
This section contains 1,858 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)