|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Fisby call to try to unload Lotus Blossom?
2. Who helps Lotus Blossom to move?
3. Why will the person sitting on top of the bundles not fall off?
4. What did the children want to see on the trip?
5. What is Fisby wearing when Col. Purdy calls him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subtitle of Plan B? What is funny about the title? Why?
2. What is the daughter going on the trip for? What must she bring along? How does this complicate the trip?
3. Why is it funny when McLean describes that his "Japanese beetles are eating up my Chinese peas?" Is there a bigger significance to this than the plant names? Is there irony in this comment?
4. What do the villagers want to build instead of a schoolhouse? What does this say about the values of the villagers? What does this say about Fisby?
5. How is Lotus Blossom going to remember Fisby? What is she going to do in remembrance?
6. What does Col. Purdy explain to Fisby about America's involvement in expansion? When does Purdy think America's troops will be gone from Okinawa? How does this affect his state-of-mind as far as responsibility goes?
7. What do you think is the difference between the goods made by the villagers and those sold in the 5&10 cent stores? Discuss machine vs. handmade.
8. What speech is Fisby going to give when he arrives in Tobiki? What does Sakini call the speech? Why? What does this tell the audience about the history of the island and its people?
9. The poles surrounding the wresting pen have different colored cloth on each of them. What do the colors symbolize? What does this tell us about the culture of the villagers?
10. When Fisby offers Capt. McLean tsukemomo, McLean declines saying he just ate something. What? What is important about what Capt. McLean just ate? How does this outline the conflict between McLean and Fisby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the chrysanthemum a symbol throughout the play? What different meanings does it have as the play evolves? Describe the difference between the bud and a chrysanthemum in full bloom. Do you think Fisby ever understands the significance of the flower as the villagers do?
Essay Topic 2
What does Mr. Oshira say to Fisby about teahouses in the big cities? How does the description of the teahouses in the big cities convince Fisby to build a teahouse? What specifically does Oshira say that convinces Fisby? How will the other villagers react to a teahouse being built in their community? What insight does Oshira share that makes Fisby believe it is the right thing to do?
Essay Topic 3
What is the government's concept of education regarding a pentagon-shaped school? What is the importance of the shape and how does education theory stem from the physical building?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)