|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Fisby do with the women of the small village?
2. What is Fisby wearing when Col. Purdy calls him?
3. What does Mr. Oshira make?
4. Why do the villagers want to keep Mr. Omura as mayor?
5. What should Fisby be wearing out in the sun according to Col. Purdy?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Fisby offers Capt. McLean tsukemomo, McLean declines saying he just ate something. What? What is important about what Capt. McLean just ate? How does this outline the conflict between McLean and Fisby?
2. Why is the August moon special? Why is this important to know in this play?
3. What is the daughter going on the trip for? What must she bring along? How does this complicate the trip?
4. What is the subtitle of Plan B? What is funny about the title? Why?
5. When Fisby gives Lotus Blossom a chrysanthemum in full bloom, what is he saying to her, according to her traditions? What misunderstanding do you think will come of this action?
6. What does Miss Higa Jiga threaten to do if Fisby does not agree with her request? Why is this important? What does this do to the story?
7. What does the old woman sitting on top of the jeep foreshadow? What clue does this character give to the general plot of the play?
8. Why does Sakini tell Fisby to cover his face with a fan to start the wrestling match? What does this mean?
9. What speech is Fisby going to give when he arrives in Tobiki? What does Sakini call the speech? Why? What does this tell the audience about the history of the island and its people?
10. What do you think is the difference between the goods made by the villagers and those sold in the 5&10 cent stores? Discuss machine vs. handmade.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the government's concept of education regarding a pentagon-shaped school? What is the importance of the shape and how does education theory stem from the physical building?
Essay Topic 2
What does it mean to the resident of the village to sit in the pine grove and watch the sun go down while drinking tea? What ideals does this promote?
Essay Topic 3
How is the chrysanthemum a symbol throughout the play? What different meanings does it have as the play evolves? Describe the difference between the bud and a chrysanthemum in full bloom. Do you think Fisby ever understands the significance of the flower as the villagers do?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)