|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Seiko give to Fisby?
2. Who helps Lotus Blossom to move?
3. Col. Purdy comes out to see Fisby off and cannot believe what he sees. As he begins to complain, what happens?
4. What magazine does Col. Purdy read?
5. To whom does Lotus Blossom pay her dues?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the villagers want to build instead of a schoolhouse? What does this say about the values of the villagers? What does this say about Fisby?
2. What does Fisby say to Lotus Blossom when she asks if she should marry Seiko? How does his answer reflect his American beliefs? Does this signal a change away from the village?
3. What does Fisby say about the teahouse to Col. Purdy? How does he reference Purdy's mother? Why does this upset Col. Purdy?
4. What does Col. Purdy order Gregovich to do to the brandy stills? Why does he think this is the correct plan of action?
5. What does Fisby say to the villagers after their failure selling their good? Why does he want them to be proud of their work? Why is their work different?
6. What is the subtitle of Plan B? What is funny about the title? Why?
7. Is the ancient man who jumps on the jeep at the last minute a symbol for something? What?
8. What does Miss Higa Jiga threaten to do if Fisby does not agree with her request? Why is this important? What does this do to the story?
9. How is Lotus Blossom going to remember Fisby? What is she going to do in remembrance?
10. When Fisby offers Capt. McLean tsukemomo, McLean declines saying he just ate something. What? What is important about what Capt. McLean just ate? How does this outline the conflict between McLean and Fisby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think the Congressman defines "get-up and go?" How do you think the Congressman will view the blending of two cultures? What will surprise the Congressman when he arrives in the village?
Essay Topic 2
What does Mr. Oshira say to Fisby about teahouses in the big cities? How does the description of the teahouses in the big cities convince Fisby to build a teahouse? What specifically does Oshira say that convinces Fisby? How will the other villagers react to a teahouse being built in their community? What insight does Oshira share that makes Fisby believe it is the right thing to do?
Essay Topic 3
Other than Lotus Blossom, the character of Miss Higa Jiga is the only other woman described in much detail. Describe Miss Higa Jiga. What does Miss Higa Jiga represent? What does she symbolized? What changes does she make during the play?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)