|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Fisby was given a job licking envelopes?
2. When, according to Col. Purdy, will US troops be out of Okinawa?
3. Whom is Col. Purdy sending to check up on Fisby?
4. How does Sakini explain to Fisby that the animal has no children?
5. What does Miss Higa Jiga want Lotus Blossom to do for the League for Democratic Action?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening as Act 2, Scene 2 opens? What does this action suggest about Fisby's character? What has changed about Fisby?
2. What does Fisby offer Capt. McLean upon his arrival? Why is this important?
3. Describe the road to Tobiki. What does this tell the audience about how the journey will go?
4. The poles surrounding the wresting pen have different colored cloth on each of them. What do the colors symbolize? What does this tell us about the culture of the villagers?
5. What speech is Fisby going to give when he arrives in Tobiki? What does Sakini call the speech? Why? What does this tell the audience about the history of the island and its people?
6. When Col. Purdy arrives unannounced in Tobiki, why does Fisby cover his legs? What do you think goes through Fisby's mind at that moment?
7. What does Col. Purdy order Gregovich to do to the brandy stills? Why does he think this is the correct plan of action?
8. What is the subtitle of Plan B? What is funny about the title? Why?
9. How are the villagers getting drunk? How do they make liquor? Why do they make it?
10. What does the old woman sitting on top of the jeep foreshadow? What clue does this character give to the general plot of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the role of a Geisha as simple as Sakini describes? Does Lotus Blossom play a realistic Geisha in this play? Why do you think that?
Essay Topic 2
Judging from Col. Purdy's knowledge of the French language, what do you think were his ambitions before the war? How closely did his wartime service resemble his dreams? Do you think his wife always shared his dreams and do you think they share dreams now?
Essay Topic 3
Who, at the beginning of the play, owns a white coat? What honor does this bring to the wearer? Would anyone wearing a white coat receive the same honor? Why? Why not?
This section contains 1,762 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)