|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When, according to Col. Purdy, will US troops be out of Okinawa?
2. What does Sakini tell Fisby is the business of a Geisha?
3. What, according to Fisby, does Congress not have any control over?
4. What kind of eggs does Miss Higa Jiga give to Fisby?
5. What magazine does Col. Purdy read?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will the mayor of Tobiki "lose face" if his grandmother does not arrive? What do you think "lose face" means in this story?
2. When the teahouse is reassembled on stage, what is the last light to come on? What is this symbolic of? How does this complete the play?
3. How does Sakini describe Tobiki at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1? Why do those descriptions not go together? How does this create conflict?
4. Why does Fisby prefer to wear a straw hat after he's been in the village for awhile? Does this indicate a change of heart in other ways too? What?
5. What is the symbol behind a chrysanthemum bud? Why does Lotus Blossom give this to Fisby? Why does this bother him?
6. What are the villagers going to do with all the money they make selling their brandy? Why is it important to wear white coats? What is the white coat a symbol of for the people of Okinawa?
7. How does Col. Purdy lie to the men about their bathwater? What scientific formula does he come up with? What does this tell the audience about Col. Purdy and the way he thinks?
8. How does Sakini describe the trip to Tobiki by jeep? What does this tell the audience about Fisby's control?
9. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, Sakini notes that, "Prosperity giggle like silly girl. Things we do best...not wanted. Things we think least of...wanted most." What is he referring to? How did he create this thought process?
10. What is the clue that Col. Purdy is not a very learned man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who, at the beginning of the play, owns a white coat? What honor does this bring to the wearer? Would anyone wearing a white coat receive the same honor? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 2
The cricket holds a special place in Okinawan society. Explain the importance of the cricket in Okinawan society. Do you think the villagers believe in the importance of the cricket? Why do you think the villagers believe the cricket should hold such a place of honor?
Essay Topic 3
Judging from Col. Purdy's knowledge of the French language, what do you think were his ambitions before the war? How closely did his wartime service resemble his dreams? Do you think his wife always shared his dreams and do you think they share dreams now?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)