|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fisby take his "medication?"
2. What must Fisby do with the women of the small village?
3. What does Fisby ask Lotus Blossom to do when he takes the call from Col. Purdy?
4. Sakini explains to Fisby that the village has had many invaders. What do the people do now to protect their treasures?
5. Where was Sakini born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the judges declare Mr. Hokaida the winner of the wrestling match?
2. What shape is the new school to be built? Why is this important? Do you think the villagers understand the meaning of this symbol? Why?
3. Why is McLean upset about being sent away? How does he view what will happen to his plants?
4. What does the old woman sitting on top of the jeep foreshadow? What clue does this character give to the general plot of the play?
5. What do the villagers want to build instead of a schoolhouse? What does this say about the values of the villagers? What does this say about Fisby?
6. Why does Lotus Blossom want to go to America? How does she see the country? What does Fisby think would be her reality?
7. What does Miss Higa Jiga threaten to do if Fisby does not agree with her request? Why is this important? What does this do to the story?
8. What did Col. Purdy promise his wife? What does this tell the audience about his marriage to Mrs. Purdy?
9. What are the villagers going to do with all the money they make selling their brandy? Why is it important to wear white coats? What is the white coat a symbol of for the people of Okinawa?
10. What is the symbol behind a chrysanthemum bud? Why does Lotus Blossom give this to Fisby? Why does this bother him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who, at the beginning of the play, owns a white coat? What honor does this bring to the wearer? Would anyone wearing a white coat receive the same honor? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of Sakini as the narrator and describe how he is used in this play as narrator and as a character. What is Sakini's personal point-of-view and how does it influence the audience during the play? Is a narrator always used to influence or is he usually there just to tell the story?
Essay Topic 3
Fisby tells Sakini that he's not sure who is the conqueror and who is the conquered. How has his ideal of success changed throughout the play? What do you think Fisby is leaving with that he will take with him as he moves on in life from the village?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)