|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Lotus Blossom pay her dues?
2. What does Miss Higa Jiga say is happening in the village?
3. What upsets Col. Purdy about the men dancing at the officer's club?
4. What transportation will the party be using to get to the village?
5. On what island does the play take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Col. Purdy arrives unannounced in Tobiki, why does Fisby cover his legs? What do you think goes through Fisby's mind at that moment?
2. How does Fisby achieve peace with himself in the end? What happens to his ambition? How does he describe his own balance?
3. What is happening as Act 2, Scene 2 opens? What does this action suggest about Fisby's character? What has changed about Fisby?
4. When Capt. McLean arrives in Tobiki, how does he find Fisby? What is Fisby dressed in and what is the appearance of his office? What does this tell the audience about Fisby?
5. What shape is the new school to be built? Why is this important? Do you think the villagers understand the meaning of this symbol? Why?
6. How does Col. Purdy compare Fisby to Major McEvoy? What has Major McEvoy done in his village that the Col. admires? Why?
7. Describe Plan B. How does Col. Purdy decide to teach democracy?
8. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, Sakini notes that, "Prosperity giggle like silly girl. Things we do best...not wanted. Things we think least of...wanted most." What is he referring to? How did he create this thought process?
9. Why does Lotus Blossom want to go to America? How does she see the country? What does Fisby think would be her reality?
10. What does Fisby say about the teahouse to Col. Purdy? How does he reference Purdy's mother? Why does this upset Col. Purdy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the play, what is the difference between Okinawan industry and American industry? What role do machines play in the comparison?
Essay Topic 2
Judging from Col. Purdy's knowledge of the French language, what do you think were his ambitions before the war? How closely did his wartime service resemble his dreams? Do you think his wife always shared his dreams and do you think they share dreams now?
Essay Topic 3
How is the chrysanthemum a symbol throughout the play? What different meanings does it have as the play evolves? Describe the difference between the bud and a chrysanthemum in full bloom. Do you think Fisby ever understands the significance of the flower as the villagers do?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)