|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Fisby not report the birth of six kids in his report to the Col. under Population Increases?
2. What will happen if Fisby does not take the person sitting on top of the bundles?
3. Why does the traveler need so many packages?
4. What do the villagers do at 5:30 p.m.?
5. How long does it take a horse to travel to the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the August moon special? Why is this important to know in this play?
2. What is the symbol behind a chrysanthemum bud? Why does Lotus Blossom give this to Fisby? Why does this bother him?
3. The poles surrounding the wresting pen have different colored cloth on each of them. What do the colors symbolize? What does this tell us about the culture of the villagers?
4. What does Col. Purdy explain to Fisby about America's involvement in expansion? When does Purdy think America's troops will be gone from Okinawa? How does this affect his state-of-mind as far as responsibility goes?
5. When Capt. McLean arrives in Tobiki, how does he find Fisby? What is Fisby dressed in and what is the appearance of his office? What does this tell the audience about Fisby?
6. Why do cricket cages always come empty? What does this idea tell us about the philosophy of the people of Tobiki?
7. Why does Lotus Blossom want to go to America? How does she see the country? What does Fisby think would be her reality?
8. When the teahouse is reassembled on stage, what is the last light to come on? What is this symbolic of? How does this complete the play?
9. Why is McLean upset about being sent away? How does he view what will happen to his plants?
10. What is the clue that Col. Purdy is not a very learned man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Mr. Oshira say to Fisby about teahouses in the big cities? How does the description of the teahouses in the big cities convince Fisby to build a teahouse? What specifically does Oshira say that convinces Fisby? How will the other villagers react to a teahouse being built in their community? What insight does Oshira share that makes Fisby believe it is the right thing to do?
Essay Topic 2
In the play, what is the difference between Okinawan industry and American industry? What role do machines play in the comparison?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the style of Fisby's sales pitch to the other village Army officers to sell the brandy. What do you recognize about his sale's pitch? Is this a typically "American" way to sell? Is this regarded as honorable? What about Fisby sale's pitch makes this a funny scene?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)