|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sakini explain to Fisby that the animal has no children?
2. What is Miss Higa Jiga complaining about in particular?
3. What will happen if Fisby does not take the person sitting on top of the bundles?
4. What is the document called that Fisby is supposed to follow to help the village recover?
5. Which villager speaks English other than Sakini?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the villagers hide things? What does this tell the audience about their history?
2. What are the villagers going to do with all the money they make selling their brandy? Why is it important to wear white coats? What is the white coat a symbol of for the people of Okinawa?
3. Why will the mayor of Tobiki "lose face" if his grandmother does not arrive? What do you think "lose face" means in this story?
4. What is the symbol behind a chrysanthemum bud? Why does Lotus Blossom give this to Fisby? Why does this bother him?
5. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, Sakini notes that, "Prosperity giggle like silly girl. Things we do best...not wanted. Things we think least of...wanted most." What is he referring to? How did he create this thought process?
6. What is the daughter going on the trip for? What must she bring along? How does this complicate the trip?
7. What does Fisby say about the teahouse to Col. Purdy? How does he reference Purdy's mother? Why does this upset Col. Purdy?
8. McLean goes into great detail about worms? What did you learn about worms from his descriptions? Why does this concern Col. Purdy?
9. When Fisby gives Lotus Blossom a chrysanthemum in full bloom, what is he saying to her, according to her traditions? What misunderstanding do you think will come of this action?
10. Describe the Tobiki Co-Operative. How is it set up? Why does Col. Purdy think it is Communism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think the Congressman defines "get-up and go?" How do you think the Congressman will view the blending of two cultures? What will surprise the Congressman when he arrives in the village?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the style of Fisby's sales pitch to the other village Army officers to sell the brandy. What do you recognize about his sale's pitch? Is this a typically "American" way to sell? Is this regarded as honorable? What about Fisby sale's pitch makes this a funny scene?
Essay Topic 3
Describe democracy as viewed by Fisby and by Sakini. What are the differences and similarities of each viewpoint? By the end of the play, how have Fisby and Sakini's views of democracy changed?
This section contains 1,833 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)