Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "Hai" mean in English according to Sakini?
2. What should Fisby wear when he goes in the sun?
3. Where will the people of the village get the lumber for their building project?
4. How does Sakini announce to Col. Purdy that he has entered the room?
5. What happened when Fisby was given a job licking envelopes?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Fisby offers Capt. McLean tsukemomo, McLean declines saying he just ate something. What? What is important about what Capt. McLean just ate? How does this outline the conflict between McLean and Fisby?
2. What bothers Col. Purdy about the men dancing together at the officer's club? What does he decide to do to rectify the situation?
3. Describe the Tobiki Co-Operative. How is it set up? Why does Col. Purdy think it is Communism?
4. How does Sakini describe to Col. Purdy how the laundry gets done? What does Col. Purdy think of this system? Why does he have this opinion?
5. Describe Plan B. How does Col. Purdy decide to teach democracy?
6. What speech is Fisby going to give when he arrives in Tobiki? What does Sakini call the speech? Why? What does this tell the audience about the history of the island and its people?
7. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, Sakini notes that, "Prosperity giggle like silly girl. Things we do best...not wanted. Things we think least of...wanted most." What is he referring to? How did he create this thought process?
8. How does Sakini refer to the goat as a person? What does he say to Fisby? Why is there no reaction from Fisby?
9. What is happening as Act 2, Scene 2 opens? What does this action suggest about Fisby's character? What has changed about Fisby?
10. Why does Sakini tell Fisby to cover his face with a fan to start the wrestling match? What does this mean?
What does Col. Purdy say about teaching democracy to the villagers? What did Col. Purdy do before the war? Do you think his occupation plays into his role as a Colonel? How?
In the play, what is the difference between Okinawan industry and American industry? What role do machines play in the comparison?
Is the role of a Geisha as simple as Sakini describes? Does Lotus Blossom play a realistic Geisha in this play? Why do you think that?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)