|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the old woman sitting on top of the bundles related to?
2. What gift does Mr. Sumata bring for Fisby?
3. How does Sakini announce to Col. Purdy that he has entered the room?
4. What does Miss Higa Jiga say is happening in the village?
5. To whom does Lotus Blossom pay her dues?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the arrival of Col. Purdy and the smashing of all the stills and closing the teahouse, what does Sakini want to do? Why do you think Fisby does not want to go along with Sakini's plan?
2. Who does Col. Purdy decide to send to check on Fisby? Why?
3. What does Fisby say to the villagers after their failure selling their good? Why does he want them to be proud of their work? Why is their work different?
4. When Fisby gives Lotus Blossom a chrysanthemum in full bloom, what is he saying to her, according to her traditions? What misunderstanding do you think will come of this action?
5. What does Col. Purdy order Gregovich to do to the brandy stills? Why does he think this is the correct plan of action?
6. What does the old woman sitting on top of the jeep foreshadow? What clue does this character give to the general plot of the play?
7. What is the clue that Col. Purdy is not a very learned man?
8. How does Sakini describe to Col. Purdy how the laundry gets done? What does Col. Purdy think of this system? Why does he have this opinion?
9. Is the ancient man who jumps on the jeep at the last minute a symbol for something? What?
10. How is Lotus Blossom going to remember Fisby? What is she going to do in remembrance?
Essay Topic 1
How is the chrysanthemum a symbol throughout the play? What different meanings does it have as the play evolves? Describe the difference between the bud and a chrysanthemum in full bloom. Do you think Fisby ever understands the significance of the flower as the villagers do?
Essay Topic 2
The cricket holds a special place in Okinawan society. Explain the importance of the cricket in Okinawan society. Do you think the villagers believe in the importance of the cricket? Why do you think the villagers believe the cricket should hold such a place of honor?
Essay Topic 3
When Fisby says that Lotus Blossom must decide her future for herself, what is happening? What is Fisby giving up? Anything? What is Lotus Blossom giving up if she starts to decide her future on her own? What will she gain? What do you think is the final effect of Fisby knowing Lotus Blossom? Do you think it breaks a stereotype for him?
This section contains 1,747 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)