|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will happen if Fisby does not take the person sitting on top of the bundles?
2. What does Mr. Seiko give to Fisby?
3. How does Sakini get Fisby to let Lotus Blossom teach the other women in town?
4. What does Col. Purdy want to talk to Fisby about on the telephone?
5. What does Mr. Oshira make?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sakini tell Fisby to cover his face with a fan to start the wrestling match? What does this mean?
2. How does Col. Purdy lie to the men about their bathwater? What scientific formula does he come up with? What does this tell the audience about Col. Purdy and the way he thinks?
3. Describe Plan B. How does Col. Purdy decide to teach democracy?
4. Why do the villagers hide things? What does this tell the audience about their history?
5. What bothers Col. Purdy about the men dancing together at the officer's club? What does he decide to do to rectify the situation?
6. What is happening as Act 2, Scene 2 opens? What does this action suggest about Fisby's character? What has changed about Fisby?
7. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2, what does Sakini tell us about the history of Okinawa? Who have they survived? Who has invaded them? Who's invading them now?
8. When the teahouse is reassembled on stage, what is the last light to come on? What is this symbolic of? How does this complete the play?
9. What is Miss Higa Jiga's complaint about Lotus Blossom? How does she want to overcome this issue? How does this idea fit in with Fisby's American thought process?
10. Why do the judges declare Mr. Hokaida the winner of the wrestling match?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The cricket holds a special place in Okinawan society. Explain the importance of the cricket in Okinawan society. Do you think the villagers believe in the importance of the cricket? Why do you think the villagers believe the cricket should hold such a place of honor?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the style of Fisby's sales pitch to the other village Army officers to sell the brandy. What do you recognize about his sale's pitch? Is this a typically "American" way to sell? Is this regarded as honorable? What about Fisby sale's pitch makes this a funny scene?
Essay Topic 3
What happens to the bi-monthly Progress Reports? How are the cricket cages used for humor when trying to find important paperwork in Fisby's office? Why does Fisby take such a loose approach with these reports? Could he have done this differently and avoided problems in the end? Why doesn't he?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)