|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which villager speaks English other than Sakini?
(a) Mr. Seiko.
(b) Miss Higa Jiga.
(c) Lotus Blossom.
(d) Mr. Oshira.
2. What should Fisby be wearing out in the sun according to Col. Purdy?
(a) Uniform hat.
(b) His helmet.
(c) A straw hat.
(d) A baseball cap.
3. How will Fisby see around the children on the hood of the car?
(a) He will have to sit on a book.
(b) The children will tell Fisby when to turn.
(c) The old lady has very good eyesight and will tell them when to turn.
(d) The goat will signal when to turn.
4. On what island does the play take place?
5. What is Sakini chewing when the play begins?
(c) Juicy-fruit gum.
(d) Beef Jerky.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Miss Higa Jiga complaining about in particular?
2. How does Sakini get Fisby to let Lotus Blossom teach the other women in town?
3. What does "Hai" mean in English according to Sakini?
4. Why do the villagers want to keep Mr. Omura as mayor?
5. To whom does Lotus Blossom pay her dues?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lotus Blossom want to go to America? How does she see the country? What does Fisby think would be her reality?
2. What does Miss Higa Jiga threaten to do if Fisby does not agree with her request? Why is this important? What does this do to the story?
3. When the teahouse is reassembled on stage, what is the last light to come on? What is this symbolic of? How does this complete the play?
4. What speech is Fisby going to give when he arrives in Tobiki? What does Sakini call the speech? Why? What does this tell the audience about the history of the island and its people?
5. What did Col. Purdy promise his wife? What does this tell the audience about his marriage to Mrs. Purdy?
6. What does Fisby say to Lotus Blossom when she asks if she should marry Seiko? How does his answer reflect his American beliefs? Does this signal a change away from the village?
7. Why do the judges declare Mr. Hokaida the winner of the wrestling match?
8. How does Sakini describe the trip to Tobiki by jeep? What does this tell the audience about Fisby's control?
9. What is Miss Higa Jiga's complaint about Lotus Blossom? How does she want to overcome this issue? How does this idea fit in with Fisby's American thought process?
10. How does Fisby achieve peace with himself in the end? What happens to his ambition? How does he describe his own balance?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)