|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Fisby do before the war?
(a) He was a manager at a grocery store.
(b) He was a mechanic.
(c) He was a professor of Humanities.
(d) He was a janitor at a college.
2. Who jumps on the back of the transportation just before they leave for the trip?
(a) Another animal.
(c) An ancient man.
(d) Col. Purdy.
3. When, according to Col. Purdy, will US troops be out of Okinawa?
(a) In 100 years.
(b) By the next generation.
(c) By the next year.
(d) In five years.
4. What gift does Mr. Sumata bring for Fisby?
(a) A Geisha girl.
(b) A carpenter.
(c) A house servant.
5. Why does Sakini walk so slowly?
(a) He was injured in the war.
(b) So his socks won't fall down.
(c) He's full from dinner.
(d) His shoes are too small.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Lotus Blossom pay her dues?
2. How does Sakini explain to Fisby that the animal has no children?
3. What is the first kind of business Fisby thinks of starting in the village?
4. Who does Purdy believe wrote the "Tale of Two Cities"?
5. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, where has Fisby been?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbol behind a chrysanthemum bud? Why does Lotus Blossom give this to Fisby? Why does this bother him?
2. What does Fisby offer Capt. McLean upon his arrival? Why is this important?
3. Describe Plan B. How does Col. Purdy decide to teach democracy?
4. What shape is the new school to be built? Why is this important? Do you think the villagers understand the meaning of this symbol? Why?
5. Why is it funny when McLean describes that his "Japanese beetles are eating up my Chinese peas?" Is there a bigger significance to this than the plant names? Is there irony in this comment?
6. Why does Sakini tell Fisby to cover his face with a fan to start the wrestling match? What does this mean?
7. What is happening as Act 2, Scene 2 opens? What does this action suggest about Fisby's character? What has changed about Fisby?
8. What do the villagers want to build instead of a schoolhouse? What does this say about the values of the villagers? What does this say about Fisby?
9. How does Sakini describe the trip to Tobiki by jeep? What does this tell the audience about Fisby's control?
10. What does Fisby tell Mclean about his personal happiness? When did he become happy? Why? What is happening to Fisby? How is he changing?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)