|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What magazine does Col. Purdy read?
(a) American Roadster.
(b) Adventure Magazine.
(c) National Geographic.
(d) Auto Mechanics.
2. How does Sakini get Fisby to let Lotus Blossom teach the other women in town?
(a) He tells Fisby that Lotus Blossom is a wonderful actress.
(b) He tells Fisby that Lotus Blossom knows about democracy.
(c) He tells Fisby that Lotus Blossom is not a prostitute.
(d) He tells Fisby that Lotus Blossom is a great singer.
3. What does Fisby want the ladies to do first with their Ladies League for Democratic Action?
(a) Elect a League President.
(b) Have weekly bridge lessons.
(c) Have weekly English lessons.
(d) Create a forum for democratic talks.
4. Why do the villagers want to keep Mr. Omura as mayor?
(a) Because he has five crickets.
(b) Because he already owns a white coat.
(c) Because he is a teacher.
(d) Because he is wise.
5. What upsets Col. Purdy about the men dancing at the officer's club?
(a) Officers are dancing with enlisted men.
(b) They wear kimonos when they dance.
(c) The men are dancing with the natives.
(d) They are dancing with "questionable" women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who jumps on the back of the transportation just before they leave for the trip?
2. What does Mr. Oshira make?
3. Who does Purdy believe wrote the "Tale of Two Cities"?
4. How does Sakini think Fisby should dole out the jobs?
5. Who is the old woman sitting on top of the bundles related to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sakini describe Tobiki at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1? Why do those descriptions not go together? How does this create conflict?
2. What are the villagers going to do with all the money they make selling their brandy? Why is it important to wear white coats? What is the white coat a symbol of for the people of Okinawa?
3. How does Sakini explain what a Geisha does? Does this information change Fisby's mind?
4. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, Sakini notes that, "Prosperity giggle like silly girl. Things we do best...not wanted. Things we think least of...wanted most." What is he referring to? How did he create this thought process?
5. How does Fisby create industry? What is he trying to do for the villagers?
6. What does Fisby say about the teahouse to Col. Purdy? How does he reference Purdy's mother? Why does this upset Col. Purdy?
7. After the arrival of Col. Purdy and the smashing of all the stills and closing the teahouse, what does Sakini want to do? Why do you think Fisby does not want to go along with Sakini's plan?
8. What is the subtitle of Plan B? What is funny about the title? Why?
9. What is the symbol behind a chrysanthemum bud? Why does Lotus Blossom give this to Fisby? Why does this bother him?
10. What shape is the new school to be built? Why is this important? Do you think the villagers understand the meaning of this symbol? Why?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)