|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Fisby wearing when Col. Purdy calls him?
(a) A silk kimono.
(b) A white coat.
(c) His bathrobe as a kimono.
(d) Amy fatigues.
2. What does Mr. Hokaida give as a gift?
(a) A goat.
(b) A teacup.
(c) A cricket.
(d) A cricket cage.
3. What does Col. Purdy want to talk to Fisby about on the telephone?
(a) The gifts Fisby sent to the Col. to see.
(b) The Progress Report.
(c) A trip to come visit.
(d) Lotus Blossom.
4. How often is Fisby supposed to send a report to Col. Purdy?
5. Whom does Fisby call to try to unload Lotus Blossom?
(a) Capt. McLean.
(b) He does not try to get rid of her.
(c) Major McEvoy at Awasi.
(d) Col. Purdy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people of the village want Fisby to build?
2. What specific questions does Col. Purdy have for Fisby when he phones?
3. How many weeks have passed at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What is Lotus Blossom doing when Col. Purdy calls at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What did the children want to see on the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the villagers hide things? What does this tell the audience about their history?
2. Describe the Tobiki Co-Operative. How is it set up? Why does Col. Purdy think it is Communism?
3. When Capt. McLean arrives in Tobiki, how does he find Fisby? What is Fisby dressed in and what is the appearance of his office? What does this tell the audience about Fisby?
4. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, Sakini notes that, "Prosperity giggle like silly girl. Things we do best...not wanted. Things we think least of...wanted most." What is he referring to? How did he create this thought process?
5. Why is the August moon special? Why is this important to know in this play?
6. What is Miss Higa Jiga's complaint about Lotus Blossom? How does she want to overcome this issue? How does this idea fit in with Fisby's American thought process?
7. What did Col. Purdy promise his wife? What does this tell the audience about his marriage to Mrs. Purdy?
8. What does Col. Purdy explain to Fisby about America's involvement in expansion? When does Purdy think America's troops will be gone from Okinawa? How does this affect his state-of-mind as far as responsibility goes?
9. What is the clue that Col. Purdy is not a very learned man?
10. What are the villagers going to do with all the money they make selling their brandy? Why is it important to wear white coats? What is the white coat a symbol of for the people of Okinawa?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)