|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take a horse to travel to the village?
(a) 12 weeks.
(b) 1 week.
(c) 2 months.
(d) 3 days.
2. What animal comes with them on the trip?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A cricket.
(c) A goat.
(d) A pig.
3. What is Fisby wearing when Col. Purdy calls him?
(a) Amy fatigues.
(b) His bathrobe as a kimono.
(c) A silk kimono.
(d) A white coat.
4. What transportation will the party be using to get to the village?
(a) A jeep.
(b) A car.
(c) A bus.
(d) A horse cart.
5. What does Fisby ask Lotus Blossom to do when he takes the call from Col. Purdy?
(a) If she can stop the musicians.
(b) If she can stop talking.
(c) If she can turn off the electric fan.
(d) To see if she can go stop the hammering on the teahouse for a minute.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shape will the new schoolhouse be in the village?
2. Who jumps on the back of the transportation just before they leave for the trip?
3. What has Maj. McEvoy accomplished in his village?
4. What does Mr. Hokaida give as a gift?
5. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, where has Fisby been?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the audience become aware of McLean's hobby? How does McLean react to the mention of chemicals being used on plants in the area? What does he propose doing instead? What does this tell the audience about McLean's character?
2. What does Fisby tell Mclean about his personal happiness? When did he become happy? Why? What is happening to Fisby? How is he changing?
3. What does Fisby offer Capt. McLean upon his arrival? Why is this important?
4. What did Col. Purdy promise his wife? What does this tell the audience about his marriage to Mrs. Purdy?
5. What shape is the new school to be built? Why is this important? Do you think the villagers understand the meaning of this symbol? Why?
6. Why do the American soldiers not buy any goods from the villagers? What do you think the soldiers mean by the word "hayseed?"
7. Why do cricket cages always come empty? What does this idea tell us about the philosophy of the people of Tobiki?
8. What is Miss Higa Jiga's complaint about Lotus Blossom? How does she want to overcome this issue? How does this idea fit in with Fisby's American thought process?
9. Describe Plan B. How does Col. Purdy decide to teach democracy?
10. When Capt. McLean arrives in Tobiki, how does he find Fisby? What is Fisby dressed in and what is the appearance of his office? What does this tell the audience about Fisby?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)