|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What noise can be heard as Fisby tries to hear who is calling him?
(b) Lotus Blossom talking.
(c) Buzzing electricity.
(d) Hammering and sawing.
2. Who helps Lotus Blossom to move?
(c) All the men in town.
(d) The women.
3. What has Maj. McEvoy accomplished in his village?
(a) 4th-graders know the alphabet through "M" and the whole village can sing "God Bless America" in English.
(b) He has delivered fourteen lectures on democracy.
(c) All new houses have been built.
(d) A new schoolhouse has been built.
4. What should Fisby wear when he goes in the sun?
(b) A kasa or straw hat.
(c) He takes an umbrella.
(d) A helmet.
5. What magazine does Col. Purdy read?
(a) National Geographic.
(b) American Roadster.
(c) Adventure Magazine.
(d) Auto Mechanics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the people of the village want to make Hokaida Chief of Police?
2. When Fisby tells one of the people to get off, what does this character say to Fisby?
3. Sakini explains to Fisby that the village has had many invaders. What do the people do now to protect their treasures?
4. What does Fisby want the ladies to do first with their Ladies League for Democratic Action?
5. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, where has Fisby been?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the villagers getting drunk? How do they make liquor? Why do they make it?
2. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, Sakini notes that, "Prosperity giggle like silly girl. Things we do best...not wanted. Things we think least of...wanted most." What is he referring to? How did he create this thought process?
3. Why does Sakini tell Fisby to cover his face with a fan to start the wrestling match? What does this mean?
4. How does Col. Purdy lie to the men about their bathwater? What scientific formula does he come up with? What does this tell the audience about Col. Purdy and the way he thinks?
5. How does Sakini explain what a Geisha does? Does this information change Fisby's mind?
6. Why will the mayor of Tobiki "lose face" if his grandmother does not arrive? What do you think "lose face" means in this story?
7. What is the daughter going on the trip for? What must she bring along? How does this complicate the trip?
8. What does Fisby say about the teahouse to Col. Purdy? How does he reference Purdy's mother? Why does this upset Col. Purdy?
9. What do you think is the difference between the goods made by the villagers and those sold in the 5&10 cent stores? Discuss machine vs. handmade.
10. When Fisby gives Lotus Blossom a chrysanthemum in full bloom, what is he saying to her, according to her traditions? What misunderstanding do you think will come of this action?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)