|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sakini chewing when the play begins?
(b) Beef Jerky.
(d) Juicy-fruit gum.
2. Whom does Fisby call to try to unload Lotus Blossom?
(a) Col. Purdy.
(b) Capt. McLean.
(c) Major McEvoy at Awasi.
(d) He does not try to get rid of her.
3. What does Fisby ask Lotus Blossom to do when he takes the call from Col. Purdy?
(a) If she can turn off the electric fan.
(b) If she can stop the musicians.
(c) If she can stop talking.
(d) To see if she can go stop the hammering on the teahouse for a minute.
4. Who is the 2nd-best carpenter in the village?
(a) Mr. Seiko.
(b) Mr. Sumata's father.
(c) Mr. Hokaida's father.
(d) Miss Higa Jiga's mother.
5. How does Sakini think Fisby should dole out the jobs?
(a) The men should get the jobs first.
(b) First come, first serve.
(c) The women should get the jobs first.
(d) The people who bring the best gifts get the best jobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the traveler need so many packages?
2. What, according to Fisby, does Congress not have any control over?
3. What shape will the new schoolhouse be in the village?
4. Who does Purdy believe wrote the "Tale of Two Cities"?
5. What does Mr. Oshira make?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bothers Col. Purdy about the men dancing together at the officer's club? What does he decide to do to rectify the situation?
2. How does Col. Purdy lie to the men about their bathwater? What scientific formula does he come up with? What does this tell the audience about Col. Purdy and the way he thinks?
3. What is the clue that Col. Purdy is not a very learned man?
4. Why does Fisby prefer to wear a straw hat after he's been in the village for awhile? Does this indicate a change of heart in other ways too? What?
5. When does the audience become aware of McLean's hobby? How does McLean react to the mention of chemicals being used on plants in the area? What does he propose doing instead? What does this tell the audience about McLean's character?
6. How does Sakini explain what a Geisha does? Does this information change Fisby's mind?
7. How does Sakini describe to Col. Purdy how the laundry gets done? What does Col. Purdy think of this system? Why does he have this opinion?
8. What does the old woman sitting on top of the jeep foreshadow? What clue does this character give to the general plot of the play?
9. How does Col. Purdy compare Fisby to Major McEvoy? What has Major McEvoy done in his village that the Col. admires? Why?
10. What shape is the new school to be built? Why is this important? Do you think the villagers understand the meaning of this symbol? Why?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)