|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Maj. McEvoy accomplished in his village?
(a) He has delivered fourteen lectures on democracy.
(b) All new houses have been built.
(c) A new schoolhouse has been built.
(d) 4th-graders know the alphabet through "M" and the whole village can sing "God Bless America" in English.
2. What does "Hai" mean in English according to Sakini?
(b) Yes, that means no.
3. On what island does the play take place?
4. When Fisby tries to give a lecture to the crowd, Sakini stops him and explains that the villagers want to do something first. What?
(a) Give Fisby gifts.
(b) Ask about America.
(c) Talk to Fisby.
(d) Ask about the school.
5. How long does it take a horse to travel to the village?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 12 weeks.
(d) 2 months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sakini tell Fisby is the business of a Geisha?
2. What happened when Fisby was given a job licking envelopes?
3. What, according to Fisby, does Congress not have any control over?
4. How often is Fisby supposed to send a report to Col. Purdy?
5. What does it mean to give someone a chrysanthemum bud?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is the difference between the goods made by the villagers and those sold in the 5&10 cent stores? Discuss machine vs. handmade.
2. What shape is the new school to be built? Why is this important? Do you think the villagers understand the meaning of this symbol? Why?
3. What is the daughter going on the trip for? What must she bring along? How does this complicate the trip?
4. When Fisby gives Lotus Blossom a chrysanthemum in full bloom, what is he saying to her, according to her traditions? What misunderstanding do you think will come of this action?
5. Why is McLean upset about being sent away? How does he view what will happen to his plants?
6. Is the ancient man who jumps on the jeep at the last minute a symbol for something? What?
7. How is Lotus Blossom going to remember Fisby? What is she going to do in remembrance?
8. What does the old woman sitting on top of the jeep foreshadow? What clue does this character give to the general plot of the play?
9. Why will the mayor of Tobiki "lose face" if his grandmother does not arrive? What do you think "lose face" means in this story?
10. What does Miss Higa Jiga threaten to do if Fisby does not agree with her request? Why is this important? What does this do to the story?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)