|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Hokaida give as a gift?
(a) A teacup.
(b) A cricket.
(c) A goat.
(d) A cricket cage.
2. Which villager speaks English other than Sakini?
(a) Lotus Blossom.
(b) Mr. Seiko.
(c) Miss Higa Jiga.
(d) Mr. Oshira.
3. What does Miss Higa Jiga want Lotus Blossom to do for the League for Democratic Action?
(a) Teach them how to serve tea.
(b) Teach them how to play an instrument.
(c) Teach them to be Geisha.
(d) Teach them about democracy.
4. What did the children want to see on the trip?
(a) The mountains.
(b) Other children.
(c) An army base.
(d) The ocean.
5. What do the villagers do at 5:30 p.m.?
(a) Go to bed.
(b) Go to the local teahouse.
(c) Sit in the pine grove, sip tea, and watch the sun go down.
(d) Make brandy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How will Fisby see around the children on the hood of the car?
2. How do people on Okinawa travel?
3. Why did Fisby not report the birth of six kids in his report to the Col. under Population Increases?
4. What happened when Fisby was given a job licking envelopes?
5. Whom is Col. Purdy sending to check up on Fisby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Col. Purdy explain to Fisby about America's involvement in expansion? When does Purdy think America's troops will be gone from Okinawa? How does this affect his state-of-mind as far as responsibility goes?
2. Why is McLean upset about being sent away? How does he view what will happen to his plants?
3. How does Fisby achieve peace with himself in the end? What happens to his ambition? How does he describe his own balance?
4. Why do cricket cages always come empty? What does this idea tell us about the philosophy of the people of Tobiki?
5. The poles surrounding the wresting pen have different colored cloth on each of them. What do the colors symbolize? What does this tell us about the culture of the villagers?
6. What is the symbol behind a chrysanthemum bud? Why does Lotus Blossom give this to Fisby? Why does this bother him?
7. When Col. Purdy arrives unannounced in Tobiki, why does Fisby cover his legs? What do you think goes through Fisby's mind at that moment?
8. Why will the mayor of Tobiki "lose face" if his grandmother does not arrive? What do you think "lose face" means in this story?
9. Who does Col. Purdy decide to send to check on Fisby? Why?
10. What is the daughter going on the trip for? What must she bring along? How does this complicate the trip?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)