|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is tsukemono?
(a) A between-meal snack.
(b) A style of shoe.
(c) A hat.
(d) A building.
2. What does Mr. Seiko give to Fisby?
(a) A bottle of brandy.
(b) A kimono.
(c) A hat.
(d) Geta or wooden sandals.
3. Who jumps on the back of the transportation just before they leave for the trip?
(a) An ancient man.
(c) Col. Purdy.
(d) Another animal.
4. How many weeks have passed at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
(d) A few.
5. What does the daughter need to bring with her on the trip?
(a) Her reading glasses.
(b) Many more packages.
(c) Some pots to cook in.
(d) Her children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the old woman sitting on top of the bundles related to?
2. Why is the person or animal who jumps on right before the group leaves traveling?
3. Why does Sakini walk so slowly?
4. What should Fisby wear when he goes in the sun?
5. What transportation will the party be using to get to the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is the difference between the goods made by the villagers and those sold in the 5&10 cent stores? Discuss machine vs. handmade.
2. When Fisby gives Lotus Blossom a chrysanthemum in full bloom, what is he saying to her, according to her traditions? What misunderstanding do you think will come of this action?
3. After the arrival of Col. Purdy and the smashing of all the stills and closing the teahouse, what does Sakini want to do? Why do you think Fisby does not want to go along with Sakini's plan?
4. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, Sakini notes that, "Prosperity giggle like silly girl. Things we do best...not wanted. Things we think least of...wanted most." What is he referring to? How did he create this thought process?
5. What is the clue that Col. Purdy is not a very learned man?
6. What are the villagers going to do with all the money they make selling their brandy? Why is it important to wear white coats? What is the white coat a symbol of for the people of Okinawa?
7. What is the symbol behind a chrysanthemum bud? Why does Lotus Blossom give this to Fisby? Why does this bother him?
8. How does Col. Purdy compare Fisby to Major McEvoy? What has Major McEvoy done in his village that the Col. admires? Why?
9. What is happening as Act 2, Scene 2 opens? What does this action suggest about Fisby's character? What has changed about Fisby?
10. McLean goes into great detail about worms? What did you learn about worms from his descriptions? Why does this concern Col. Purdy?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)