|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What transportation will the party be using to get to the village?
(a) A horse cart.
(b) A bus.
(c) A car.
(d) A jeep.
2. What does Miss Higa Jiga say is happening in the village?
(b) All the men are drunk in the pine grove.
(c) That all the Geisha are taking over.
(d) That the men are making too much noise building the schoolhouse.
3. How does Sakini describe the road to the village?
(a) It is very hilly.
(b) It is just a path for a wagon cart and goat.
(c) It follows the beach.
(d) It is a gravel road.
4. What is Lotus Blossom doing when Col. Purdy calls at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Fanning Fisby.
(b) Making tea for Fisby.
(c) Reading to Fisby.
(d) Dancing for Fisby.
5. Why is the person or animal who jumps on right before the group leaves traveling?
(a) He wants to see the jungle.
(b) He is the children's pet..
(c) He just wants to go for a ride.
(d) He wants to see the ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Fisby do with the women of the small village?
2. What does the daughter need to bring with her on the trip?
3. Why do the villagers want to keep Mr. Omura as mayor?
4. Where does the animal ride on the trip?
5. What did the children want to see on the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the teahouse is reassembled on stage, what is the last light to come on? What is this symbolic of? How does this complete the play?
2. What does Fisby say to Lotus Blossom when she asks if she should marry Seiko? How does his answer reflect his American beliefs? Does this signal a change away from the village?
3. What does Col. Purdy explain to Fisby about America's involvement in expansion? When does Purdy think America's troops will be gone from Okinawa? How does this affect his state-of-mind as far as responsibility goes?
4. Why does Sakini tell Fisby to cover his face with a fan to start the wrestling match? What does this mean?
5. What does the old woman sitting on top of the jeep foreshadow? What clue does this character give to the general plot of the play?
6. What does Fisby tell Mclean about his personal happiness? When did he become happy? Why? What is happening to Fisby? How is he changing?
7. How does Sakini refer to the goat as a person? What does he say to Fisby? Why is there no reaction from Fisby?
8. What do you think is the difference between the goods made by the villagers and those sold in the 5&10 cent stores? Discuss machine vs. handmade.
9. Why does Fisby prefer to wear a straw hat after he's been in the village for awhile? Does this indicate a change of heart in other ways too? What?
10. How does Fisby create industry? What is he trying to do for the villagers?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)