|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Sakini born?
2. How does Sakini announce to Col. Purdy that he has entered the room?
(a) He clears his throat.
(b) He starts to sing "God Bless America".
(c) He begins talking.
(d) He knocks on his behind.
3. Why do the villagers want to keep Mr. Omura as mayor?
(a) Because he already owns a white coat.
(b) Because he is wise.
(c) Because he has five crickets.
(d) Because he is a teacher.
4. What should Fisby wear when he goes in the sun?
(b) A kasa or straw hat.
(c) A helmet.
(d) He takes an umbrella.
5. What does Col. Purdy want to talk to Fisby about on the telephone?
(a) The gifts Fisby sent to the Col. to see.
(b) Lotus Blossom.
(c) The Progress Report.
(d) A trip to come visit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the village located on the island where Fisby must go?
2. What does Mr. Hokaida give as a gift?
3. What does the daughter need to bring with her on the trip?
4. What does Sakini tell Fisby is the business of a Geisha?
5. What noise can be heard as Fisby tries to hear who is calling him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the audience become aware of McLean's hobby? How does McLean react to the mention of chemicals being used on plants in the area? What does he propose doing instead? What does this tell the audience about McLean's character?
2. What do you think is the difference between the goods made by the villagers and those sold in the 5&10 cent stores? Discuss machine vs. handmade.
3. What does Fisby say to Lotus Blossom when she asks if she should marry Seiko? How does his answer reflect his American beliefs? Does this signal a change away from the village?
4. How does Col. Purdy lie to the men about their bathwater? What scientific formula does he come up with? What does this tell the audience about Col. Purdy and the way he thinks?
5. When Col. Purdy arrives unannounced in Tobiki, why does Fisby cover his legs? What do you think goes through Fisby's mind at that moment?
6. Why do the American soldiers not buy any goods from the villagers? What do you think the soldiers mean by the word "hayseed?"
7. How does Fisby create industry? What is he trying to do for the villagers?
8. What does Fisby offer Capt. McLean upon his arrival? Why is this important?
9. When Fisby offers Capt. McLean tsukemomo, McLean declines saying he just ate something. What? What is important about what Capt. McLean just ate? How does this outline the conflict between McLean and Fisby?
10. Describe Plan B. How does Col. Purdy decide to teach democracy?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)