|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sakini describe the road to the village?
(a) It is a gravel road.
(b) It is just a path for a wagon cart and goat.
(c) It follows the beach.
(d) It is very hilly.
2. Where will the people of the village get the lumber for their building project?
(a) Ship it in from the coast.
(b) Cut the lumber themselves.
(c) Tear down old buildings and use the lumber.
(d) From the lumber for the new schoolhouse.
3. Who jumps on the back of the transportation just before they leave for the trip?
(b) An ancient man.
(c) Another animal.
(d) Col. Purdy.
4. Why does Sakini walk so slowly?
(a) So his socks won't fall down.
(b) He's full from dinner.
(c) His shoes are too small.
(d) He was injured in the war.
5. Why is the person or animal who jumps on right before the group leaves traveling?
(a) He is the children's pet..
(b) He wants to see the jungle.
(c) He wants to see the ocean.
(d) He just wants to go for a ride.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sakini think Fisby should dole out the jobs?
2. What is tsukemono?
3. What animal comes with them on the trip?
4. How often is Fisby supposed to send a report to Col. Purdy?
5. What does Col. Purdy want to talk to Fisby about on the telephone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Col. Purdy compare Fisby to Major McEvoy? What has Major McEvoy done in his village that the Col. admires? Why?
2. Why do the villagers hide things? What does this tell the audience about their history?
3. What does Col. Purdy explain to Fisby about America's involvement in expansion? When does Purdy think America's troops will be gone from Okinawa? How does this affect his state-of-mind as far as responsibility goes?
4. What does Miss Higa Jiga threaten to do if Fisby does not agree with her request? Why is this important? What does this do to the story?
5. How does Col. Purdy lie to the men about their bathwater? What scientific formula does he come up with? What does this tell the audience about Col. Purdy and the way he thinks?
6. When Col. Purdy arrives unannounced in Tobiki, why does Fisby cover his legs? What do you think goes through Fisby's mind at that moment?
7. What does Col. Purdy order Gregovich to do to the brandy stills? Why does he think this is the correct plan of action?
8. What is happening as Act 2, Scene 2 opens? What does this action suggest about Fisby's character? What has changed about Fisby?
9. McLean goes into great detail about worms? What did you learn about worms from his descriptions? Why does this concern Col. Purdy?
10. What does Fisby tell Mclean about his personal happiness? When did he become happy? Why? What is happening to Fisby? How is he changing?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)