|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Hai" mean in English according to Sakini?
(c) Yes, that means no.
2. What should Fisby wear when he goes in the sun?
(a) He takes an umbrella.
(b) A helmet.
(d) A kasa or straw hat.
3. Where will the people of the village get the lumber for their building project?
(a) Ship it in from the coast.
(b) Tear down old buildings and use the lumber.
(c) From the lumber for the new schoolhouse.
(d) Cut the lumber themselves.
4. How does Sakini announce to Col. Purdy that he has entered the room?
(a) He knocks on his behind.
(b) He starts to sing "God Bless America".
(c) He clears his throat.
(d) He begins talking.
5. What happened when Fisby was given a job licking envelopes?
(a) He threw up from the taste.
(b) He was quite successful.
(c) He cut his tongue.
(d) He developed an allergy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shape will the new schoolhouse be in the village?
2. What did the children want to see on the trip?
3. Who is the best carpenter in the village?
4. How does Sakini describe the road to the village?
5. What magazine does Col. Purdy read?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Fisby offers Capt. McLean tsukemomo, McLean declines saying he just ate something. What? What is important about what Capt. McLean just ate? How does this outline the conflict between McLean and Fisby?
2. What bothers Col. Purdy about the men dancing together at the officer's club? What does he decide to do to rectify the situation?
3. Describe the Tobiki Co-Operative. How is it set up? Why does Col. Purdy think it is Communism?
4. How does Sakini describe to Col. Purdy how the laundry gets done? What does Col. Purdy think of this system? Why does he have this opinion?
5. Describe Plan B. How does Col. Purdy decide to teach democracy?
6. What speech is Fisby going to give when he arrives in Tobiki? What does Sakini call the speech? Why? What does this tell the audience about the history of the island and its people?
7. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, Sakini notes that, "Prosperity giggle like silly girl. Things we do best...not wanted. Things we think least of...wanted most." What is he referring to? How did he create this thought process?
8. How does Sakini refer to the goat as a person? What does he say to Fisby? Why is there no reaction from Fisby?
9. What is happening as Act 2, Scene 2 opens? What does this action suggest about Fisby's character? What has changed about Fisby?
10. Why does Sakini tell Fisby to cover his face with a fan to start the wrestling match? What does this mean?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)