|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When someone gives a cricket cage, what is not included?
(a) The door.
(b) The wrapping.
(c) The cricket.
(d) The handle.
2. What shape will the new schoolhouse be in the village?
(b) Pentagon shaped.
3. Who is the 2nd-best carpenter in the village?
(a) Miss Higa Jiga's mother.
(b) Mr. Seiko.
(c) Mr. Hokaida's father.
(d) Mr. Sumata's father.
4. Why do the people of the village want to make Hokaida Chief of Police?
(a) He owns his own gun.
(b) He is a good wrestler and people are afraid of him.
(c) He is the tallest man in the village.
(d) He is the strongest man in the village.
5. What happened when Fisby was given a job licking envelopes?
(a) He developed an allergy.
(b) He cut his tongue.
(c) He was quite successful.
(d) He threw up from the taste.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Purdy believe wrote the "Tale of Two Cities"?
2. What is the document called that Fisby is supposed to follow to help the village recover?
3. What upsets Col. Purdy about the men dancing at the officer's club?
4. What transportation will the party be using to get to the village?
5. How do people on Okinawa travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sakini refer to the goat as a person? What does he say to Fisby? Why is there no reaction from Fisby?
2. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2, what does Sakini tell us about the history of Okinawa? Who have they survived? Who has invaded them? Who's invading them now?
3. What is happening as Act 2, Scene 2 opens? What does this action suggest about Fisby's character? What has changed about Fisby?
4. What bothers Col. Purdy about the men dancing together at the officer's club? What does he decide to do to rectify the situation?
5. What shape is the new school to be built? Why is this important? Do you think the villagers understand the meaning of this symbol? Why?
6. How does Fisby create industry? What is he trying to do for the villagers?
7. How are the villagers getting drunk? How do they make liquor? Why do they make it?
8. Why is it funny when McLean describes that his "Japanese beetles are eating up my Chinese peas?" Is there a bigger significance to this than the plant names? Is there irony in this comment?
9. What are the villagers going to do with all the money they make selling their brandy? Why is it important to wear white coats? What is the white coat a symbol of for the people of Okinawa?
10. McLean goes into great detail about worms? What did you learn about worms from his descriptions? Why does this concern Col. Purdy?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)