|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where will the people of the village get the lumber for their building project?
(a) Ship it in from the coast.
(b) Tear down old buildings and use the lumber.
(c) From the lumber for the new schoolhouse.
(d) Cut the lumber themselves.
2. To whom does Lotus Blossom pay her dues?
(a) The Okinawan Guild.
(b) The Teahouse Guild.
(c) The Artisan Guild.
(d) The Geisha Guild.
3. What does Mr. Seiko give to Fisby?
(a) Geta or wooden sandals.
(b) A hat.
(c) A bottle of brandy.
(d) A kimono.
4. How does Fisby take his "medication?"
(b) With water.
(c) With Brandy.
(d) With his tea.
5. What magazine does Col. Purdy read?
(a) American Roadster.
(b) Auto Mechanics.
(c) Adventure Magazine.
(d) National Geographic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fisby wearing when Col. Purdy calls him?
2. Why will the person sitting on top of the bundles not fall off?
3. Col. Purdy comes out to see Fisby off and cannot believe what he sees. As he begins to complain, what happens?
4. What shape will the new schoolhouse be in the village?
5. How does Sakini describe the road to the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. The poles surrounding the wresting pen have different colored cloth on each of them. What do the colors symbolize? What does this tell us about the culture of the villagers?
2. Is the ancient man who jumps on the jeep at the last minute a symbol for something? What?
3. Describe the road to Tobiki. What does this tell the audience about how the journey will go?
4. Why is McLean upset about being sent away? How does he view what will happen to his plants?
5. How does Fisby create industry? What is he trying to do for the villagers?
6. When does the audience become aware of McLean's hobby? How does McLean react to the mention of chemicals being used on plants in the area? What does he propose doing instead? What does this tell the audience about McLean's character?
7. When Col. Purdy arrives unannounced in Tobiki, why does Fisby cover his legs? What do you think goes through Fisby's mind at that moment?
8. How does Col. Purdy lie to the men about their bathwater? What scientific formula does he come up with? What does this tell the audience about Col. Purdy and the way he thinks?
9. Why does Fisby prefer to wear a straw hat after he's been in the village for awhile? Does this indicate a change of heart in other ways too? What?
10. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, Sakini notes that, "Prosperity giggle like silly girl. Things we do best...not wanted. Things we think least of...wanted most." What is he referring to? How did he create this thought process?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)