|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Hai" mean in English according to Sakini?
(c) Yes, that means no.
2. When concerned about Fisby, what does the Col. ask Fisby about his medication?
(a) If he is taking vitamins.
(b) If he is taking his salt pills.
(c) If he is taking aspirin.
(d) If he is drinking water with his pills.
3. Which villager speaks English other than Sakini?
(a) Mr. Seiko.
(b) Miss Higa Jiga.
(c) Lotus Blossom.
(d) Mr. Oshira.
4. How long does it take a horse to travel to the village?
(a) 12 weeks.
(b) 1 week.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 2 months.
5. Why is the daughter going on the trip?
(a) To take care of the goats.
(b) To take care of her children.
(c) To take care of her mother.
(d) To visit her aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sakini announce to Col. Purdy that he has entered the room?
2. Who jumps on the back of the transportation just before they leave for the trip?
3. What noise can be heard as Fisby tries to hear who is calling him?
4. What is the first industry that Fisby sets up for the village?
5. Under what title should information be reported about children being born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Higa Jiga threaten to do if Fisby does not agree with her request? Why is this important? What does this do to the story?
2. What does Fisby say to Lotus Blossom when she asks if she should marry Seiko? How does his answer reflect his American beliefs? Does this signal a change away from the village?
3. What does Col. Purdy order Gregovich to do to the brandy stills? Why does he think this is the correct plan of action?
4. How does Sakini explain what a Geisha does? Does this information change Fisby's mind?
5. How does Sakini refer to the goat as a person? What does he say to Fisby? Why is there no reaction from Fisby?
6. What shape is the new school to be built? Why is this important? Do you think the villagers understand the meaning of this symbol? Why?
7. How are the villagers getting drunk? How do they make liquor? Why do they make it?
8. What are the villagers going to do with all the money they make selling their brandy? Why is it important to wear white coats? What is the white coat a symbol of for the people of Okinawa?
9. When the teahouse is reassembled on stage, what is the last light to come on? What is this symbolic of? How does this complete the play?
10. What is happening as Act 2, Scene 2 opens? What does this action suggest about Fisby's character? What has changed about Fisby?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)