|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the people of the village want Fisby to build?
(a) A schoolhouse.
(b) A .
(c) A town hall.
(d) A teahouse.
2. To whom does Lotus Blossom pay her dues?
(a) The Teahouse Guild.
(b) The Artisan Guild.
(c) The Okinawan Guild.
(d) The Geisha Guild.
3. How does Sakini think Fisby should dole out the jobs?
(a) The women should get the jobs first.
(b) The men should get the jobs first.
(c) The people who bring the best gifts get the best jobs.
(d) First come, first serve.
4. What should Fisby be wearing out in the sun according to Col. Purdy?
(a) A baseball cap.
(b) His helmet.
(c) A straw hat.
(d) Uniform hat.
5. When, according to Col. Purdy, will US troops be out of Okinawa?
(a) In five years.
(b) By the next generation.
(c) In 100 years.
(d) By the next year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the villagers do at 5:30 p.m.?
2. What kind of eggs does Miss Higa Jiga give to Fisby?
3. Who does Purdy believe wrote the "Tale of Two Cities"?
4. Why does the traveler need so many packages?
5. Where is the village located on the island where Fisby must go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbol behind a chrysanthemum bud? Why does Lotus Blossom give this to Fisby? Why does this bother him?
2. Why is the August moon special? Why is this important to know in this play?
3. Why do the villagers hide things? What does this tell the audience about their history?
4. What is the clue that Col. Purdy is not a very learned man?
5. When Fisby gives Lotus Blossom a chrysanthemum in full bloom, what is he saying to her, according to her traditions? What misunderstanding do you think will come of this action?
6. Why does Fisby prefer to wear a straw hat after he's been in the village for awhile? Does this indicate a change of heart in other ways too? What?
7. How does Sakini describe Tobiki at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1? Why do those descriptions not go together? How does this create conflict?
8. What is the daughter going on the trip for? What must she bring along? How does this complicate the trip?
9. What does Col. Purdy order Gregovich to do to the brandy stills? Why does he think this is the correct plan of action?
10. How is Lotus Blossom going to remember Fisby? What is she going to do in remembrance?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)