|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Fisby wearing when Col. Purdy calls him?
(a) Amy fatigues.
(b) A white coat.
(c) His bathrobe as a kimono.
(d) A silk kimono.
2. What is the document called that Fisby is supposed to follow to help the village recover?
(a) Plan A.
(b) Recovery Systems.
(c) Government Tasks.
(d) Plan B.
3. What is Miss Higa Jiga complaining about in particular?
(a) That Lotus Blossom goes to the front of the line in the rice rations line.
(b) The democratic lectures.
(c) All the noise from the new building.
(d) The rice shortage.
4. What shape will the new schoolhouse be in the village?
(c) Pentagon shaped.
5. Which villager speaks English other than Sakini?
(a) Mr. Oshira.
(b) Mr. Seiko.
(c) Miss Higa Jiga.
(d) Lotus Blossom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom is Col. Purdy sending to check up on Fisby?
2. How does Fisby take his "medication?"
3. What should Fisby wear when he goes in the sun?
4. How does Sakini get Fisby to let Lotus Blossom teach the other women in town?
5. What is the first kind of business Fisby thinks of starting in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fisby say to Lotus Blossom when she asks if she should marry Seiko? How does his answer reflect his American beliefs? Does this signal a change away from the village?
2. What are the villagers going to do with all the money they make selling their brandy? Why is it important to wear white coats? What is the white coat a symbol of for the people of Okinawa?
3. Is the ancient man who jumps on the jeep at the last minute a symbol for something? What?
4. Why will the mayor of Tobiki "lose face" if his grandmother does not arrive? What do you think "lose face" means in this story?
5. What is the subtitle of Plan B? What is funny about the title? Why?
6. How does Col. Purdy compare Fisby to Major McEvoy? What has Major McEvoy done in his village that the Col. admires? Why?
7. What is the symbol behind a chrysanthemum bud? Why does Lotus Blossom give this to Fisby? Why does this bother him?
8. How does Fisby create industry? What is he trying to do for the villagers?
9. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, Sakini notes that, "Prosperity giggle like silly girl. Things we do best...not wanted. Things we think least of...wanted most." What is he referring to? How did he create this thought process?
10. Why do the villagers hide things? What does this tell the audience about their history?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)