|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lotus Blossom going to do to remember Fisby?
(a) She is going to write to him in America.
(b) She is going to paint his picture.
(c) She wants to take a picture with him.
(d) She is going to make up a song about him to sing in the teahouse.
2. When Lotus Blossom asks Fisby if she can marry someone else, what does he tell her?
(a) That he will think about it.
(b) That it is her decision.
(c) That she must ask her father.
(d) That she must ask the Geisha guild.
3. What, according to Capt. McLean, do bees do?
(a) They make honey.
(b) They sting children.
(c) They sing a beautiful song.
(d) They are important for pollination.
4. How old is the liquor?
(a) Five years.
(b) About a week.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Fifty years.
5. What did Col. Purdy promise his wife?
(a) That he will build her a house after retirement.
(b) That he would be home by July.
(c) That he would come out of the army a General.
(d) That he would retire this year.
6. Who is flying over to look at the village?
(a) The General.
(b) The President.
(c) Some Senators.
(d) A Congressional Committee.
7. What does Lotus Blossom believe happens in American factories?
(a) The unions run the mills and the workers are treated well.
(b) People sit around and drink tea while machines make goods.
(c) The machines make goods 10 times faster than hand-made.
(d) The workers are treated poorly.
8. How many castings do earthworms leave behind?
(a) Two times their own weight every day.
(b) They don't leave behind castings.
(c) Two times their own weight every week.
(d) Eight times their own weight every day.
9. What did the potential buyers think of the straw hats?
(a) They thought it would make them look like "hayseed."
(b) They wanted a bandana around the hats for color.
(c) They wanted the hats to be in different colors.
(d) They thought it would make them look like country singers.
10. Where is the paperwork that Col. Purdy wants to see hiding?
(a) Sakini is hiding the paperwork.
(b) There is no paperwork.
(c) Under Capt. Fisby's bed.
(d) Under the cricket cages.
11. What is Fisby wearing when he meets Capt. McLean?
(a) A white coat.
(b) A silk kimono.
(c) Amy fatigues.
(d) His blue bathrobe, his geta, and a straw hat.
12. When Col. Purdy enters during the song after the wrestling match, what does Fisby do about his legs?
(a) He stares down at them.
(b) He puts on his pants to cover them.
(c) He jumps in a chair to hide them.
(d) He tries to cover them.
13. What did some "fool Senator" do back in Washington?
(a) He is using the village as an example of the decadence of Okinawan life.
(b) He is using the village as an example of Okinawan thought and success.
(c) He is using the village as an example of American "Get-up-and-go."
(d) He seized the village's bank account.
14. What does it mean when Fisby gives Lotus Blossom a chrysanthemum in full bloom?
(a) That he loves her.
(b) That he is captivated by her.
(c) That he thinks she is beautiful.
(d) That he gives her his heart.
15. When Col. Purdy tells Capt. McLean that he will be leaving, how does Capt. McLean describe what will happen to his plant?
(a) They will rot.
(b) They will be murdered.
(c) They will outgrow their area.
(d) They will all dry up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lotus Blossom need a teahouse for?
2. What does tsukemono mean?
3. What colors are the poles wrapped in during the wresting match?
4. What does Capt. McLean say chemicals on plants will do?
5. What does it mean for Fisby to cover his face with the fan when he starts the wrestling match?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)