|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Haitian word for sweet potato?
(d) Ba bay.
2. What, according to Capt. McLean, do bees do?
(a) They make honey.
(b) They sing a beautiful song.
(c) They sting children.
(d) They are important for pollination.
3. What does it mean for Fisby to cover his face with the fan when he starts the wrestling match?
(a) That he is not to speak during the fight.
(b) That it is too hot to hold the fight.
(c) That he is blind to the loser.
(d) That he is not taking sides.
4. What is Capt. McLean studying when Fisby enters at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) The cricket cage.
(b) Plan "B."
(c) The building plans for the teahouse.
(d) Seed books.
5. When Fisby has been ordered to leave, what does Lotus Blossom want?
(a) She wants to marry McLean.
(b) She wants to go to Tokyo.
(c) She wants to marry Sakini.
(d) She wants to marry Fisby.
6. How are goods made in the U.S. according to this story?
(a) In city schools.
(b) Hand-crafted in villages.
(c) Hand-made at home.
(d) In factories, many at a time.
7. Where does Col. Purdy tell Gregovich to pile the lumber?
(a) By the pond.
(b) In the grove.
(c) By the houses.
(d) By the warehouse.
8. How many lectures has Fisby given to the village children on Democratic Theory?
9. What is the significance of one of the contestant's black shorts during the wresting match?
(a) Black is Lotus Blossom's favorite color.
(b) Black mean death.
(c) Nothing. Just easy to keep clean.
(d) Black is the symbol of the moon.
10. What has Capt. McLean done for years every spring?
(a) Made lists of seeds he would like to plant.
(b) Seeded his lawn.
(c) Plowed and planted a garden.
(d) Put money in savings for a farm.
11. When the teahouse is put back together, what is the last light to come on?
(a) The light over Lotus Blossom.
(b) The light for dancing.
(c) The light of the moon.
(d) The front light.
12. What does Lotus Blossom believe happens in American factories?
(a) The workers are treated poorly.
(b) People sit around and drink tea while machines make goods.
(c) The machines make goods 10 times faster than hand-made.
(d) The unions run the mills and the workers are treated well.
13. When Fisby offers Capt. McLean tsukemomo, he refuses saying he just ate what?
(a) A chocolate bar.
(b) An apple.
(c) A piece of pie.
14. According to Sakini at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2, what has the island of Okinawa survived?
(a) Gypsy moth, frog, and cicada invasion.
(b) Earthquakes and tsunami.
(c) Chinese pirates, Japanese warlords, English missionaries, and American Marines.
(d) French and American missionaries and American Marines.
15. What kind of liquor is Fisby going to serve Col. Purdy at the end of the play?
(a) Apple wine.
(b) Plum wine.
(c) Rice wine
(d) 20 Star Brandy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is flying over to look at the village?
2. When Gregovich goes out in the village to destroy all the stills, how does he return?
3. Where did one of the contestant's get his shirt for the wrestling match?
4. When Fisby and Sakini say goodbye, what does Sakini say to Fisby?
5. Who is the winner of the wrestling match?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)