|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the potential buyers think the price was too high?
(a) They are comparing the prices with prices on the base.
(b) They are comparing prices with manufactured goods.
(c) Americans can buy goods in a five and ten cent store and wouldn't pay more than a nickel.
(d) They are comparing prices with European goods.
2. What are some of Capt. McLean's favorite plants?
(a) Jolly Green Giant Peas and Idaho Potatoes.
(b) Celery, Lettuce, and Snow Root Strawberries.
(c) Cucumbers - Extra Early Green Prolific; Radishes - Crimson Giant; Tomatoes - Ponderosa Earliana; and Watermelon.
(d) Super Red Tomatoes and Carrot Root.
3. What has Capt. McLean done for years every spring?
(a) Put money in savings for a farm.
(b) Seeded his lawn.
(c) Plowed and planted a garden.
(d) Made lists of seeds he would like to plant.
4. Who is flying over to look at the village?
(a) The President.
(b) The General.
(c) A Congressional Committee.
(d) Some Senators.
5. What is the name of the teahouse?
(a) Lotus Blossom Teahouse.
(b) Teahouse of the August Moon.
(c) Tobiki Teahouse.
(d) Moon Teahouse.
6. Why does Lotus Blossom put on a wresting match?
(a) The celebrate the goods being sold at market.
(b) It is tradition.
(c) To celebrate the opening of the Teahouse.
(d) It is Fisby's birthday.
7. How many cricket cages does Fisby own by the time he meets Capt. McLean?
(b) A dozen.
8. What is the cloth that the white suits are made from?
(a) Tea cloth.
(d) Target cloth.
9. What did Col. Purdy promise his wife?
(a) That he will build her a house after retirement.
(b) That he would be home by July.
(c) That he would come out of the army a General.
(d) That he would retire this year.
10. What did the potential buyers think of the straw hats?
(a) They thought it would make them look like country singers.
(b) They thought it would make them look like "hayseed."
(c) They wanted a bandana around the hats for color.
(d) They wanted the hats to be in different colors.
11. What is the significance of one of the contestant's black shorts during the wresting match?
(a) Nothing. Just easy to keep clean.
(b) Black is the symbol of the moon.
(c) Black mean death.
(d) Black is Lotus Blossom's favorite color.
12. When Gregovich goes out in the village to destroy all the stills, how does he return?
(a) He returns after dark because he watched the sun set in the grove with the others.
(b) He gets lost and does not return until the next day.
(c) He returns drunk.
(d) He returns angry.
13. Why does Capt. McLean want to leave the meeting with Col. Purdy?
(a) He needs to stop the villagers from over-watering his seedlings.
(b) He needs to transplant his seedlings.
(c) He needs to go to the teahouse.
(d) He is needed at the stills.
14. What does it mean when Fisby gives Lotus Blossom a chrysanthemum in full bloom?
(a) That he gives her his heart.
(b) That he loves her.
(c) That he is captivated by her.
(d) That he thinks she is beautiful.
15. What does it mean for Fisby to cover his face with the fan when he starts the wrestling match?
(a) That he is blind to the loser.
(b) That it is too hot to hold the fight.
(c) That he is not taking sides.
(d) That he is not to speak during the fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Fisby and Capt. McLean taste test the liquor?
2. What does tsukemono mean?
3. What, according to Capt. McLean, do bees do?
4. What is Fisby wearing when he meets Capt. McLean?
5. What is Capt. McLean's lie to Fisby about why he is visiting the village?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)