|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the significance of one of the contestant's black shorts during the wresting match?
(a) Black is Lotus Blossom's favorite color.
(b) Black is the symbol of the moon.
(c) Nothing. Just easy to keep clean.
(d) Black mean death.
2. When Col. Purdy enters during the song after the wrestling match, what does Fisby do about his legs?
(a) He jumps in a chair to hide them.
(b) He tries to cover them.
(c) He puts on his pants to cover them.
(d) He stares down at them.
3. What does Sakini want to do when he realizes that Fisby is leaving?
(a) He wants to plant crops with McLean.
(b) He wants to stay in his village.
(c) He wants to go back to work with Col. Purdy.
(d) He wants to go with him.
4. How old is the liquor?
(a) Five years.
(b) Fifty years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) About a week.
5. What is the Haitian word for sweet potato?
(b) Ba bay.
6. What does it mean for Fisby to cover his face with the fan when he starts the wrestling match?
(a) That it is too hot to hold the fight.
(b) That he is blind to the loser.
(c) That he is not to speak during the fight.
(d) That he is not taking sides.
7. Where does Col. Purdy tell Gregovich to pile the lumber?
(a) In the grove.
(b) By the warehouse.
(c) By the pond.
(d) By the houses.
8. What does Col. Purdy tell Gregovich to do with the teahouse?
(a) Rip is down.
(b) Cover it.
(c) Close it.
(d) Move it.
9. Who is the winner of the wrestling match?
(a) The Mayor
(d) Mr. Hokaida.
10. Where did one of the contestant's get his shirt for the wrestling match?
(a) He made it himself.
(b) From a sailor at the Naval Base.
(c) From the parachute silk.
(d) From the target sheets.
11. What does Capt. McLean say chemicals on plants will do?
(a) They will kill the plants.
(b) They will kill the earthworms.
(c) They put nitrogen in the soil.
(d) They are good for the plants.
12. Fisby tells Capt. McLean that he feels free. When does he say this feeling started?
(a) The minute he accepted Lotus Blossom for who she is.
(b) The minute he left the army.
(c) The minute he arrived in town.
(d) The minute he decided not to build the schoolhouse.
13. What does Fisby say about the villagers' work?
(a) He tells them they should all be proud of their work.
(b) He tells them maybe they can do better work.
(c) He is sorry that their work isn't better.
(d) He says nothing about their work.
14. What has Capt. McLean subscribed to for years?
(a) The Farmer's Almanac.
(b) The Wall Street Journal.
(c) All the farm journals.
(d) American Journal.
15. What song do Fisby and Capt. McLean sing after the wrestling match?
(a) "She'll Be Comin' Round the Mountain".
(b) "Deep in the Heart of Texas".
(c) "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall".
(d) "Sunnyside of the Street".
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the townspeople want to buy with the money they make from selling liquor?
2. What colors are the poles wrapped in during the wresting match?
3. What are the kimonos made from?
4. Where is the paperwork that Col. Purdy wants to see hiding?
5. Why, according to Fisby, must he build a teahouse?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)