|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sakini chewing when the play begins?
(a) Beef Jerky.
(c) Juicy-fruit gum.
2. What is the daughter pushing when she arrives in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) A bike.
(b) A wheelbarrow.
(c) A shopping cart.
(d) A baby stroller.
3. Who does Purdy believe wrote the "Tale of Two Cities"?
(b) Ernest Hemmingway.
(c) Victor Hugo.
4. What does the daughter need to bring with her on the trip?
(a) Her reading glasses.
(b) Her children.
(c) Some pots to cook in.
(d) Many more packages.
5. What gift does Mr. Sumata bring for Fisby?
(a) A house servant.
(b) A Geisha girl.
(d) A carpenter.
6. Who is in love with Lotus Blossom?
(b) Capt. McLean.
7. Col. Purdy comes out to see Fisby off and cannot believe what he sees. As he begins to complain, what happens?
(a) The old lady comes to life and starts screaming at him.
(b) The old woman climbs down, takes the wheel, and drives off.
(c) Sakini takes the wheel and drives off.
(d) Fisby just drives off.
8. What is the first kind of business Fisby thinks of starting in the village?
(b) A souvenir business.
(c) Teaching school for entire area.
(d) Manual labor.
9. Why did Fisby not report the birth of six kids in his report to the Col. under Population Increases?
(a) They are not counted until they are three years old.
(b) Fisby did not know about the births.
(c) They are American and do not belong to the village.
(d) They are goats.
10. Who is the 2nd-best carpenter in the village?
(a) Mr. Sumata's father.
(b) Miss Higa Jiga's mother.
(c) Mr. Seiko.
(d) Mr. Hokaida's father.
11. What must Fisby do with the women of the small village?
(a) Teach them to work in a factory.
(b) Teach them to serve tea.
(c) Form a Women's League of Democratic Action.
(d) Teach them to be teachers.
12. How does Sakini announce to Col. Purdy that he has entered the room?
(a) He begins talking.
(b) He clears his throat.
(c) He knocks on his behind.
(d) He starts to sing "God Bless America".
13. What does Sakini tell Fisby is the business of a Geisha?
(a) To prepare food for men.
(b) To listen to the troubles of men.
(c) To read to men.
(d) To dance for men.
14. Who is the best carpenter in the village?
(a) Mr. Seiko.
(b) Mr. Sumata.
(c) Miss Higa Jiga.
(d) Mr. Hokaida.
15. What does it mean to give someone a chrysanthemum bud?
(a) That the recipients' cheeks are like blossoms.
(b) That death is near.
(c) That the August Moon is wise.
(d) That the heart of the giver is ready to unfold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Col. Purdy looking for as Act 1, Scene 1 ends?
2. When Fisby tries to give a lecture to the crowd, Sakini stops him and explains that the villagers want to do something first. What?
3. What magazine does Col. Purdy read?
4. On what island does the play take place?
5. What items does Miss Higa Jiga want Fisby to send for so that the women in the village can compete with Lotus Blossom?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)