|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen plan on sending Jo every week from now on?
2. What classical Greek figure is in the joke Peter tells Geof?
3. Why has Helen been losing sleep?
4. What are Jo and Geof doing in the stage directions at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
5. Before he leaves, what is the one thing Geof asks of Helen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though Helen has abandoned Jo again at the end of the play, perhaps never to return, Jo is comforted by Geof's nursery rhyme. How can she remain calm, though in labor and completely alone? What has Jo learned about love in the play from Geof? From Helen? From Peter? Do you think Jo is ready for her biracial baby in 1950s England?
Essay Topic 2
When Helen finds out that Jo is engaged and no longer a virgin, she is extremely upset, sharply contrasting her usual flippant attitude. Why does this specific occurrence so upset Helen? Does she see some of herself in Jo? What wisdom does she attempt to impart upon Jo regarding youth?
Essay Topic 3
At least four other plays are mentioned in A TASTE OF HONEY: OTHELLO, DESIRE UNDER THE ELMS, ROMEO AND JULIET and OEDIPUS. Research two of the plays, and write a paper theorizing why Delaney chose those plays for her characters to mention.
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)