|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much older is Helen than Peter?
2. Where were Jo's boyfriend's ancestors from?
3. Regarding her drawings, Jo claims she is not only talented, but:
4. Where does Jo get her flower bulbs?
5. Since the move, what is the difference in travel time for Jo's trip to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Jo get her bulbs, and how is she supposed to plant them?
2. What gift has Geof bought for Jo, and why is she so upset by it?
3. How does Peter feel about Jo in the first scene?
4. Describe the dream Jo has about Helen.
5. From where are Jo's boyfriend's ancestors? Does Jo find this attractive?
6. Is Jo jealous of Peter Smith? Why or why not?
7. Why is Jo's boyfriend so surprised when Jo says she does not care if people see them kissing?
8. What school does Helen offer to pay for Jo to attend?
9. Why has Peter Smith followed Helen to the new apartment?
10. What is Helen's main complaint about Jo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jo ultimately sleep with Jimmie? Does Helen's abandonment at Christmastime contribute to Jo's rebellion? Does Jo really love Jimmie, or is she lashing out at Helen? She seems to know she and Jimmie are only going to last for a short time. Why does she continue with the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Geof and Helen are brought together by Jo: when Helen leaves, Geof takes over the role of caretaker. How is Helen later threatened by Geof? Is she simply homophobic, or is some small mothering part of her resurfacing to reclaim her child?
Essay Topic 3
Peter is arguably the least-developed character in the play. While the others have complex emotional paths, Peter is very clearly a womanizer and a drunk. Why do you think Delaney included this two-dimensional character with her other well-rounded and developed characters? Do you think Peter is meant to be underdeveloped?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)