|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Helen compare their bed?
2. Why has Peter tracked Helen down?
3. What does Jo throw at Peter?
4. Regarding her drawings, Jo claims she is not only talented, but:
5. What, because of the time period of the play, is the significant difference between Jo and her boyfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Helen's thoughts on destiny, as she tells Jo after their conversation about the shiek?
2. How does Geof know the drawings belong to Jo?
3. Is Helen upset about Jo's engagement?
4. Describe the dream Jo has about Helen.
5. Why does Geof offer to marry Jo?
6. Why has Geof told Helen about the baby?
7. Why does Helen so dislike Geof?
8. Why does Geof ultimately leave Jo?
9. Why does Geof want to tell Helen about the baby initially?
10. How does Helen take Jo's news that her baby will be black?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Helen finds out that Jo is engaged and no longer a virgin, she is extremely upset, sharply contrasting her usual flippant attitude. Why does this specific occurrence so upset Helen? Does she see some of herself in Jo? What wisdom does she attempt to impart upon Jo regarding youth?
Essay Topic 2
Research Shelagh Delaney's life. When did she write A TASTE OF HONEY? How does the play stem from her personal life? What statement was she trying to make with the play?
Essay Topic 3
Peter is arguably the least-developed character in the play. While the others have complex emotional paths, Peter is very clearly a womanizer and a drunk. Why do you think Delaney included this two-dimensional character with her other well-rounded and developed characters? Do you think Peter is meant to be underdeveloped?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)