|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Helen's first job?
2. Why did Helen's first husband divorce her?
3. Why has Helen chosen this apartment?
4. Where does Jo threaten to put Helen if she marries again?
5. What is Peter's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jo and Helen's new neighborhood.
2. Where did Jo get her bulbs, and how is she supposed to plant them?
3. What is Helen's main complaint about Jo?
4. Who is more suited for motherhood: Geof or Jo?
5. Why is Jo unworried about her longer walk to school from the new apartment?
6. How does Geof know the drawings belong to Jo?
7. Describe the dream Jo has about Helen.
8. How is the way Jo treats her boyfriend reminiscent of the way Helen treats Peter?
9. What gift has Geof bought for Jo, and why is she so upset by it?
10. How do Geof and Jo's views on life differ? What do they find spurs their conversation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many symbols in the play. How does Delaney use symbolism to tell her story? Choose three symbols from the text. Examine how they are applied and what they mean to the play.
Essay Topic 2
Though Geof is a homosexual, he loves Jo and ultimately does what he feels is best for her. What does Helen feel is best for Jo? Who knows Jo better, Geof or Helen? Do you think Jo would be in better hands with one character or the other? Would they be able to share Jo, or would that destroy everything?
Essay Topic 3
At least four other plays are mentioned in A TASTE OF HONEY: OTHELLO, DESIRE UNDER THE ELMS, ROMEO AND JULIET and OEDIPUS. Research two of the plays, and write a paper theorizing why Delaney chose those plays for her characters to mention.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)