|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jo's boyfriend's plan for the evening when they part?
2. Why does Helen not go to the picture show anymore?
3. What has Jo's boyfriend been carrying for her?
4. What does Helen tell Peter she is giving up?
5. What instrument does Jo's boyfriend joke that his father played?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jo pay for the apartment?
2. Is Helen sensitive about being older than Peter?
3. How does Geof know the drawings belong to Jo?
4. Why has Helen returned to the apartment?
5. Does Jo think she loved her boyfriend?
6. What school does Helen offer to pay for Jo to attend?
7. Why is Helen in ill health?
8. What is Helen's main complaint about Jo?
9. Why is Jo opposed to breastfeeding?
10. How does Peter feel about Jo in the first scene?
Essay Topic 1
When Helen finds out that Jo is engaged and no longer a virgin, she is extremely upset, sharply contrasting her usual flippant attitude. Why does this specific occurrence so upset Helen? Does she see some of herself in Jo? What wisdom does she attempt to impart upon Jo regarding youth?
Essay Topic 2
Peter is arguably the least-developed character in the play. While the others have complex emotional paths, Peter is very clearly a womanizer and a drunk. Why do you think Delaney included this two-dimensional character with her other well-rounded and developed characters? Do you think Peter is meant to be underdeveloped?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the play's title. What are the implications of a taste of honey, as an action and a title for the play? Where are there instances in the text that demonstrate the idea? How do the characters exemplify the idea?
This section contains 1,566 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)