|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Jo's boyfriend joke that his father played?
2. Who did Jo think was was in love with, as she confesses to Heaven?
3. What has Jo's boyfriend been carrying for her?
4. How does Helen describe the wallpaper?
5. How much older is Helen than Peter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jo's boyfriend so surprised when Jo says she does not care if people see them kissing?
2. How does Geof know the drawings belong to Jo?
3. Why doesn't Jo want her boyfriend to kiss her?
4. According to Jo, why does she decide to sleep with her boyfriend?
5. Why does Jo attack Peter, half-laughing, half-crying?
6. Rather than Helen, who does Jo think of at the very end of the play that gives her comfort?
7. What happens to Geof whenever Helen is around?
8. Why does Geof want to tell Helen about the baby initially?
9. Does Geof think Helen was telling the truth when she told Jo her father was mentally challenged?
10. Why is Jo sorting through her books before Helen and Peter leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jo and Geof each feel like misfits, and exist outside of societal expectations. How does this shape their relationship? While individually they are "outside the norm," when they are together they describe each other as "unique" and "unlike anyone else." How do they inspire confidence in one another?
Essay Topic 2
Jo and Helen are similar in many ways, though Jo would rather think she and Helen are different as night and day. In what ways is Jo like her mother? In what ways is she different? Use quotes and instances from the text to present your evidence.
Essay Topic 3
Though Geof is a homosexual, he loves Jo and ultimately does what he feels is best for her. What does Helen feel is best for Jo? Who knows Jo better, Geof or Helen? Do you think Jo would be in better hands with one character or the other? Would they be able to share Jo, or would that destroy everything?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)