|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jo's relationship to Helen?
2. What did Jo's boyfriend do before he was in the service?
3. When do they plan to get married?
4. Why does Jo attack Peter?
5. Where were Jo's boyfriend's ancestors from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Geof told Helen about the baby?
2. Why did Helen sleep with the village idiot instead of her husband?
3. Why has Jo decided to let Geof stay, though they are not in a love relationship?
4. Why does Geof ultimately leave Jo?
5. Is Helen upset about Jo's engagement?
6. How does Peter feel about Jo in the first scene?
7. Why is Jo sorting through her books before Helen and Peter leave?
8. Why has Helen returned to the apartment?
9. How does Jo think of her relationship with Geof? What role has he filled in her life?
10. Why does Helen so dislike Geof?
Essay Topic 1
How is Jo's treatment of Geof sometimes similar to Helen's treatment of Jo? Why is Jo so guarded around Geof at first? Has Helen's abandonment created trust issues for Jo? Why does Geof stick around for her occasional verbal abuse?
Essay Topic 2
Helen panics when Jo announces her baby will be black. Why does Helen turn to alcohol? Has this knowledge shattered the brief harmony between mother and daughter? Do you think Helen is coming back to help Jo, or has she washed her hands of the entire situation? Does Helen's recent separation from Peter play into her actions at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 3
There are many symbols in the play. How does Delaney use symbolism to tell her story? Choose three symbols from the text. Examine how they are applied and what they mean to the play.
This section contains 1,619 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)