|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jo's boyfriend put in her milk?
2. Regarding her drawings, Jo claims she is not only talented, but:
3. Since the move, what is the difference in travel time for Jo's trip to school?
4. What is Peter's profession?
5. What is coming through the roof in the apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Geof think Helen was telling the truth when she told Jo her father was mentally challenged?
2. Why is Jo sorting through her books before Helen and Peter leave?
3. Why is Jo opposed to breastfeeding?
4. Why is Jo's boyfriend so surprised when Jo says she does not care if people see them kissing?
5. What gift has Geof bought for Jo, and why is she so upset by it?
6. Why has Geof told Helen about the baby?
7. Why does Geof want to tell Helen about the baby initially?
8. In what time does Geof live, according to Jo?
9. Where does Jo want to have the baby?
10. How does Jo decide to wear the engagement ring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helen panics when Jo announces her baby will be black. Why does Helen turn to alcohol? Has this knowledge shattered the brief harmony between mother and daughter? Do you think Helen is coming back to help Jo, or has she washed her hands of the entire situation? Does Helen's recent separation from Peter play into her actions at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 2
In Act 1, Scene 1, Jo dreams about Helen's death. How does Helen's reaction to Jo's dream give insight to her character? Is Helen really as flippant and unfeeling as she first appears? How, if at all, does Helen change throughout the play?
Essay Topic 3
In Act 1, Scene 2, Helen comments on film and theatre, complaining that they have become more and more alike and trite. Why is Helen's mantra about movies becoming more like theatre significant? Could this be Delaney's own opinion? Do some research on Shelagh Delaney. To your knowledge, what is one of the reasons she wrote A Taste of Honey?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)