|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Helen's age compared to Peter's age?
2. What sound do Jo and Helen hear from the river?
3. What does Jo's boyfriend give her?
4. How does Helen explain Jo's behavior to Peter?
5. Where do Jo and her boyfriend agree to meet the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Helen sensitive about being older than Peter?
2. Does Geof think Helen was telling the truth when she told Jo her father was mentally challenged?
3. Why has Geof's landlady thrown him out according to Geof? According to Jo?
4. How does Jo decide to wear the engagement ring?
5. Where does Jo want to have the baby?
6. Why is Jo unworried about her longer walk to school from the new apartment?
7. Why is Jo's boyfriend so surprised when Jo says she does not care if people see them kissing?
8. Describe Jo and Helen's new neighborhood.
9. What gift has Geof bought for Jo, and why is she so upset by it?
10. Does Jo think she loved her boyfriend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter is arguably the least-developed character in the play. While the others have complex emotional paths, Peter is very clearly a womanizer and a drunk. Why do you think Delaney included this two-dimensional character with her other well-rounded and developed characters? Do you think Peter is meant to be underdeveloped?
Essay Topic 2
Though Jo outwardly despises Helen much of the time, she is also desperate for Helen's attention. How does she attempt to get attention from Helen? Can some of her bratty behavior be attributed to needing Helen's love? Is Helen entirely obtuse when it comes to Jo's attention deprivation, or does she simply choose not to notice?
Essay Topic 3
Geof, while ultimately overpowered by Helen, is a very complex character. Do a character study on Geof, examining his motives, actions, statements, and reactions, specifically in regards to his relationship to Jo. Why does he wilt so easily around Helen? Why does he allow a drunken Peter to insult and berate him?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)