|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jo burn herself?
2. What is Peter carrying when he enters the flat?
3. What artistic item does Helen discover of Jo's?
4. Where does Jo plan to work after Christmas?
5. Does the apartment have a bathroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Geof want to tell Helen about the baby initially?
2. Why does Helen so dislike Geof?
3. Does Helen feel guilty about Jo's present circumstances? Why or why not?
4. How does Jo decide to wear the engagement ring?
5. How does Peter feel about Jo in the first scene?
6. Rather than Helen, who does Jo think of at the very end of the play that gives her comfort?
7. What happens to Geof whenever Helen is around?
8. Why is Jo opposed to breastfeeding?
9. From where are Jo's boyfriend's ancestors? Does Jo find this attractive?
10. Of what kind of darkness is Jo afraid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helen panics when Jo announces her baby will be black. Why does Helen turn to alcohol? Has this knowledge shattered the brief harmony between mother and daughter? Do you think Helen is coming back to help Jo, or has she washed her hands of the entire situation? Does Helen's recent separation from Peter play into her actions at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Though Geof is a homosexual, he loves Jo and ultimately does what he feels is best for her. What does Helen feel is best for Jo? Who knows Jo better, Geof or Helen? Do you think Jo would be in better hands with one character or the other? Would they be able to share Jo, or would that destroy everything?
Essay Topic 3
After Helen leaves, Jo has to work two jobs to pay for the apartment, but tells Geof she loves that it is hers. What is the significance of Jo paying for the apartment herself? Is it a sign that she is growing up and becoming more independent and mature? If Helen has stayed, would Jo have taken this personal step?
This section contains 1,598 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)