|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Helen not go to the picture show anymore?
2. What, because of the time period of the play, is the significant difference between Jo and her boyfriend?
3. What does Jo throw at Peter?
4. How does Jo make Helen's coffee?
5. Why does her boyfriend like that it gets dark early?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Helen sensitive about being older than Peter?
2. Is Helen upset about Jo's engagement?
3. Why does Geof ultimately leave Jo?
4. What is one of Helen's habits that Jo truly despises?
5. How was Jo comforted last Christmas during Helen's absence?
6. Why is Jo opposed to breastfeeding?
7. Where is the bathroom in the new apartment?
8. From where are Jo's boyfriend's ancestors? Does Jo find this attractive?
9. What does Jo say to make Geof almost leave the apartment?
10. Why doesn't Jo want her boyfriend to kiss her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jo and Geof each feel like misfits, and exist outside of societal expectations. How does this shape their relationship? While individually they are "outside the norm," when they are together they describe each other as "unique" and "unlike anyone else." How do they inspire confidence in one another?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the play's title. What are the implications of a taste of honey, as an action and a title for the play? Where are there instances in the text that demonstrate the idea? How do the characters exemplify the idea?
Essay Topic 3
Though Helen has abandoned Jo again at the end of the play, perhaps never to return, Jo is comforted by Geof's nursery rhyme. How can she remain calm, though in labor and completely alone? What has Jo learned about love in the play from Geof? From Helen? From Peter? Do you think Jo is ready for her biracial baby in 1950s England?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)