Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jo's boyfriend's plan for the evening when they part?
2. Why does Helen not go to the picture show anymore?
3. What has Jo's boyfriend been carrying for her?
4. What does Helen tell Peter she is giving up?
5. What instrument does Jo's boyfriend joke that his father played?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jo pay for the apartment?
2. Is Helen sensitive about being older than Peter?
3. How does Geof know the drawings belong to Jo?
4. Why has Helen returned to the apartment?
5. Does Jo think she loved her boyfriend?
6. What school does Helen offer to pay for Jo to attend?
7. Why is Helen in ill health?
8. What is Helen's main complaint about Jo?
9. Why is Jo opposed to breastfeeding?
10. How does Peter feel about Jo in the first scene?
Jo and Helen are similar in many ways, though Jo would rather think she and Helen are different as night and day. In what ways is Jo like her mother? In what ways is she different? Use quotes and instances from the text to present your evidence.
Though Jo outwardly despises Helen much of the time, she is also desperate for Helen's attention. How does she attempt to get attention from Helen? Can some of her bratty behavior be attributed to needing Helen's love? Is Helen entirely obtuse when it comes to Jo's attention deprivation, or does she simply choose not to notice?
Jo and Geof each feel like misfits, and exist outside of societal expectations. How does this shape their relationship? While individually they are "outside the norm," when they are together they describe each other as "unique" and "unlike anyone else." How do they inspire confidence in one another?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)