|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were Jo's boyfriend's ancestors from?
2. What does Jo's boyfriend give her?
3. What did Jo's boyfriend do before he was in the service?
4. Just before he leaves, what does Peter whisper to Helen (according to the stage directions)?
5. Where does Helen offer to send Jo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Geof offer to marry Jo?
2. What school does Helen offer to pay for Jo to attend?
3. According to Jo, why does she decide to sleep with her boyfriend?
4. Describe the dream Jo has about Helen.
5. In what time does Geof live, according to Jo?
6. How was Jo comforted last Christmas during Helen's absence?
7. How does Peter feel about Jo in the first scene?
8. From where are Jo's boyfriend's ancestors? Does Jo find this attractive?
9. What gift has Geof bought for Jo, and why is she so upset by it?
10. What is one of Helen's habits that Jo truly despises?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though Geof is a homosexual, he loves Jo and ultimately does what he feels is best for her. What does Helen feel is best for Jo? Who knows Jo better, Geof or Helen? Do you think Jo would be in better hands with one character or the other? Would they be able to share Jo, or would that destroy everything?
Essay Topic 2
Though Helen has abandoned Jo again at the end of the play, perhaps never to return, Jo is comforted by Geof's nursery rhyme. How can she remain calm, though in labor and completely alone? What has Jo learned about love in the play from Geof? From Helen? From Peter? Do you think Jo is ready for her biracial baby in 1950s England?
Essay Topic 3
At least four other plays are mentioned in A TASTE OF HONEY: OTHELLO, DESIRE UNDER THE ELMS, ROMEO AND JULIET and OEDIPUS. Research two of the plays, and write a paper theorizing why Delaney chose those plays for her characters to mention.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)