|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen reveal about Jo's father?
2. What are the two Ws that Helen sees in Jo's future?
3. Does the apartment have a bathroom?
4. To which Shakespeare play does Jo's boyfriend compare?
5. What is Peter's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Geof told Helen about the baby?
2. Why is Helen in ill health?
3. What happens to Geof whenever Helen is around?
4. How is the way Jo treats her boyfriend reminiscent of the way Helen treats Peter?
5. Why is Jo sorting through her books before Helen and Peter leave?
6. Why does Geof ultimately leave Jo?
7. Why has Geof's landlady thrown him out according to Geof? According to Jo?
8. How do Geof and Jo's views on life differ? What do they find spurs their conversation?
9. How does Jo decide to wear the engagement ring?
10. Is Helen upset about Jo's engagement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the play's title. What are the implications of a taste of honey, as an action and a title for the play? Where are there instances in the text that demonstrate the idea? How do the characters exemplify the idea?
Essay Topic 2
After Helen leaves, Jo has to work two jobs to pay for the apartment, but tells Geof she loves that it is hers. What is the significance of Jo paying for the apartment herself? Is it a sign that she is growing up and becoming more independent and mature? If Helen has stayed, would Jo have taken this personal step?
Essay Topic 3
There are many symbols in the play. How does Delaney use symbolism to tell her story? Choose three symbols from the text. Examine how they are applied and what they mean to the play.
This section contains 1,595 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)