|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jo's boyfriend do before he was in the service?
2. Just before he leaves, what does Peter whisper to Helen (according to the stage directions)?
3. How does Jo describe her complexion?
4. How does Jo think Helen will react to the engagement?
5. What is Peter carrying when he enters the flat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jo's boyfriend concerned about meeting Helen?
2. Why is Jo sorting through her books before Helen and Peter leave?
3. What does the contents of Peter's wallet reveal about him?
4. How does Jo think of her relationship with Geof? What role has he filled in her life?
5. Why does Geof want to tell Helen about the baby initially?
6. Describe Jo and Helen's new neighborhood.
7. Does Geof think Helen was telling the truth when she told Jo her father was mentally challenged?
8. How was Jo comforted last Christmas during Helen's absence?
9. Where does Jo want to have the baby?
10. Why did Helen sleep with the village idiot instead of her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though Geof is a homosexual, he loves Jo and ultimately does what he feels is best for her. What does Helen feel is best for Jo? Who knows Jo better, Geof or Helen? Do you think Jo would be in better hands with one character or the other? Would they be able to share Jo, or would that destroy everything?
Essay Topic 2
Jo and Geof each feel like misfits, and exist outside of societal expectations. How does this shape their relationship? While individually they are "outside the norm," when they are together they describe each other as "unique" and "unlike anyone else." How do they inspire confidence in one another?
Essay Topic 3
In Act 1, Scene 1, Jo dreams about Helen's death. How does Helen's reaction to Jo's dream give insight to her character? Is Helen really as flippant and unfeeling as she first appears? How, if at all, does Helen change throughout the play?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)