|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Helen sits in the chair, what does she think it needs?
2. What important event in Jo's life has Helen forgotten?
3. In which branch of the armed forces did Peter serve?
4. What is Helen's reaction to Jo's dream?
5. What is the barbaric cult the boy feels he is suddenly trapped in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peter feel about Jo in the first scene?
2. How has Helen and Peter's relationship changed since they have been married?
3. Is Helen sensitive about being older than Peter?
4. Why do Helen and Peter leave Jo in the apartment?
5. Why is Jo's boyfriend concerned about meeting Helen?
6. According to Jo, why does she decide to sleep with her boyfriend?
7. Why would Jo rather be on the streets instead of in films?
8. Describe Jo and Helen's new neighborhood.
9. Why doesn't Jo want her boyfriend to kiss her?
10. What school does Helen offer to pay for Jo to attend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helen first husband is described by her as a Puritan, and she had not been with a man until she sought out Jo's father in the barn. How do you think Helen's conservative husband shaped her later life? Why did she sleep with someone else, and someone who was considered mentally deficient to boot? Do you think this was the beginning of Helen's life as a social butterfly?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the play's title. What are the implications of a taste of honey, as an action and a title for the play? Where are there instances in the text that demonstrate the idea? How do the characters exemplify the idea?
Essay Topic 3
At least four other plays are mentioned in A TASTE OF HONEY: OTHELLO, DESIRE UNDER THE ELMS, ROMEO AND JULIET and OEDIPUS. Research two of the plays, and write a paper theorizing why Delaney chose those plays for her characters to mention.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)