|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen begin to drink when she enters the flat?
2. How does Helen explain Jo's behavior to Peter?
3. What is the climate like in the new apartment according to Helen?
4. What artistic item does Helen discover of Jo's?
5. How does Jo burn herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dream Jo has about Helen.
2. Does Jo think she loved her boyfriend?
3. Why has Peter Smith followed Helen to the new apartment?
4. Why is Jo's boyfriend concerned about meeting Helen?
5. What does Jo say to make Geof almost leave the apartment?
6. Why has Jo decided to let Geof stay, though they are not in a love relationship?
7. How does Jo feel about she and Helen's new apartment?
8. Is Helen sensitive about being older than Peter?
9. In what time does Geof live, according to Jo?
10. How does Geof know the drawings belong to Jo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Geof and Helen are brought together by Jo: when Helen leaves, Geof takes over the role of caretaker. How is Helen later threatened by Geof? Is she simply homophobic, or is some small mothering part of her resurfacing to reclaim her child?
Essay Topic 2
There are many symbols in the play. How does Delaney use symbolism to tell her story? Choose three symbols from the text. Examine how they are applied and what they mean to the play.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Jo ultimately sleep with Jimmie? Does Helen's abandonment at Christmastime contribute to Jo's rebellion? Does Jo really love Jimmie, or is she lashing out at Helen? She seems to know she and Jimmie are only going to last for a short time. Why does she continue with the relationship?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)