|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jo think is still in her boyfriend somewhere, despite his current life?
2. What is the climate like in the new apartment according to Helen?
3. What is coming through the roof in the apartment?
4. How is the apartment lit?
5. What is Peter's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of Helen's habits that Jo truly despises?
2. Is Helen upset about Jo's engagement?
3. What happens to Geof whenever Helen is around?
4. How does Helen take Jo's news that her baby will be black?
5. Is Helen sensitive about being older than Peter?
6. Why is Jo opposed to breastfeeding?
7. Who is more suited for motherhood: Geof or Jo?
8. Why does Geof ultimately leave Jo?
9. Why is Jo sorting through her books before Helen and Peter leave?
10. In what time does Geof live, according to Jo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 1, Scene 1, Jo dreams about Helen's death. How does Helen's reaction to Jo's dream give insight to her character? Is Helen really as flippant and unfeeling as she first appears? How, if at all, does Helen change throughout the play?
Essay Topic 2
Geof and Helen are brought together by Jo: when Helen leaves, Geof takes over the role of caretaker. How is Helen later threatened by Geof? Is she simply homophobic, or is some small mothering part of her resurfacing to reclaim her child?
Essay Topic 3
Helen first husband is described by her as a Puritan, and she had not been with a man until she sought out Jo's father in the barn. How do you think Helen's conservative husband shaped her later life? Why did she sleep with someone else, and someone who was considered mentally deficient to boot? Do you think this was the beginning of Helen's life as a social butterfly?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)