|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jo's boyfriend do with the item she finds in his pocket?
2. What is Helen's parenting strategy with Jo?
3. Just before he leaves, what does Peter whisper to Helen (according to the stage directions)?
4. Who did Jo think was was in love with, as she confesses to Heaven?
5. What does Jo's boyfriend give her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe Helen's parenting strategy?
2. Is Jo jealous of Peter Smith? Why or why not?
3. Why has Peter Smith followed Helen to the new apartment?
4. Why do Helen and Peter leave Jo in the apartment?
5. Why does Jo attack Peter, half-laughing, half-crying?
6. From where are Jo's boyfriend's ancestors? Does Jo find this attractive?
7. Describe the dream Jo has about Helen.
8. Why is Jo sorting through her books before Helen and Peter leave?
9. Who is more suited for motherhood: Geof or Jo?
10. What is one of Helen's habits that Jo truly despises?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Geof and Helen are brought together by Jo: when Helen leaves, Geof takes over the role of caretaker. How is Helen later threatened by Geof? Is she simply homophobic, or is some small mothering part of her resurfacing to reclaim her child?
Essay Topic 2
At least four other plays are mentioned in A TASTE OF HONEY: OTHELLO, DESIRE UNDER THE ELMS, ROMEO AND JULIET and OEDIPUS. Research two of the plays, and write a paper theorizing why Delaney chose those plays for her characters to mention.
Essay Topic 3
There are many symbols in the play. How does Delaney use symbolism to tell her story? Choose three symbols from the text. Examine how they are applied and what they mean to the play.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)