|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two Ws that Helen sees in Jo's future?
2. What is the barbaric cult the boy feels he is suddenly trapped in?
3. How does Jo burn herself?
4. What has Peter brought specifically for Jo?
5. Why does Helen keep using a handkerchief?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the contents of Peter's wallet reveal about him?
2. Where did Jo get her bulbs, and how is she supposed to plant them?
3. Describe the dream Jo has about Helen.
4. Why is Jo's boyfriend concerned about meeting Helen?
5. Why does Helen so dislike Geof?
6. Who was Jo's first love, as she admits to Helen in Scene 1?
7. According to Jo, why does she decide to sleep with her boyfriend?
8. How does Geof know the drawings belong to Jo?
9. Does Jo think she loved her boyfriend?
10. How does Jo decide to wear the engagement ring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Jo's treatment of Geof sometimes similar to Helen's treatment of Jo? Why is Jo so guarded around Geof at first? Has Helen's abandonment created trust issues for Jo? Why does Geof stick around for her occasional verbal abuse?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the play's title. What are the implications of a taste of honey, as an action and a title for the play? Where are there instances in the text that demonstrate the idea? How do the characters exemplify the idea?
Essay Topic 3
Though Helen has abandoned Jo again at the end of the play, perhaps never to return, Jo is comforted by Geof's nursery rhyme. How can she remain calm, though in labor and completely alone? What has Jo learned about love in the play from Geof? From Helen? From Peter? Do you think Jo is ready for her biracial baby in 1950s England?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)