|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does Jo's boyfriend think that women are born?
2. Where does Jo get her flower bulbs?
3. What does Helen tell Peter she is giving up?
4. What does Jo's boyfriend give her?
5. What does Jo's boyfriend do with the item she finds in his pocket?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Jo decided to let Geof stay, though they are not in a love relationship?
2. Why does Geof offer to marry Jo?
3. Where is the bathroom in the new apartment?
4. Rather than Helen, who does Jo think of at the very end of the play that gives her comfort?
5. What does the contents of Peter's wallet reveal about him?
6. What gift has Geof bought for Jo, and why is she so upset by it?
7. Why does Helen so dislike Geof?
8. How does Jo decide to wear the engagement ring?
9. Why has Geof's landlady thrown him out according to Geof? According to Jo?
10. According to Jo, why does she decide to sleep with her boyfriend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jo ultimately sleep with Jimmie? Does Helen's abandonment at Christmastime contribute to Jo's rebellion? Does Jo really love Jimmie, or is she lashing out at Helen? She seems to know she and Jimmie are only going to last for a short time. Why does she continue with the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
In Act 1, Scene 2, Helen comments on film and theatre, complaining that they have become more and more alike and trite. Why is Helen's mantra about movies becoming more like theatre significant? Could this be Delaney's own opinion? Do some research on Shelagh Delaney. To your knowledge, what is one of the reasons she wrote A Taste of Honey?
Essay Topic 3
Though Geof is a homosexual, he loves Jo and ultimately does what he feels is best for her. What does Helen feel is best for Jo? Who knows Jo better, Geof or Helen? Do you think Jo would be in better hands with one character or the other? Would they be able to share Jo, or would that destroy everything?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)