|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jo find in Peter's wallet?
2. What is Peter's last name?
3. When Helen sits in the chair, what does she think it needs?
4. What type of music do the first stage directions say should be playing?
5. How does Helen explain Jo's behavior to Peter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Helen's main complaint about Jo?
2. What gift has Geof bought for Jo, and why is she so upset by it?
3. Why is Jo's boyfriend concerned about meeting Helen?
4. How does Helen take Jo's news that her baby will be black?
5. Describe the dream Jo has about Helen.
6. Why is Helen in ill health?
7. Where did Jo get her bulbs, and how is she supposed to plant them?
8. Why is Jo opposed to breastfeeding?
9. Does Geof think Helen was telling the truth when she told Jo her father was mentally challenged?
10. Why is Jo unworried about her longer walk to school from the new apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the play's title. What are the implications of a taste of honey, as an action and a title for the play? Where are there instances in the text that demonstrate the idea? How do the characters exemplify the idea?
Essay Topic 2
Geof and Helen are brought together by Jo: when Helen leaves, Geof takes over the role of caretaker. How is Helen later threatened by Geof? Is she simply homophobic, or is some small mothering part of her resurfacing to reclaim her child?
Essay Topic 3
At least four other plays are mentioned in A TASTE OF HONEY: OTHELLO, DESIRE UNDER THE ELMS, ROMEO AND JULIET and OEDIPUS. Research two of the plays, and write a paper theorizing why Delaney chose those plays for her characters to mention.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)