|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jo's boyfriend's plan for the evening when they part?
2. Why does Helen not go to the picture show anymore?
3. What has Jo's boyfriend been carrying for her?
4. What does Helen tell Peter she is giving up?
5. What instrument does Jo's boyfriend joke that his father played?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jo pay for the apartment?
2. Is Helen sensitive about being older than Peter?
3. How does Geof know the drawings belong to Jo?
4. Why has Helen returned to the apartment?
5. Does Jo think she loved her boyfriend?
6. What school does Helen offer to pay for Jo to attend?
7. Why is Helen in ill health?
8. What is Helen's main complaint about Jo?
9. Why is Jo opposed to breastfeeding?
10. How does Peter feel about Jo in the first scene?
Essay Topic 1
There are many symbols in the play. How does Delaney use symbolism to tell her story? Choose three symbols from the text. Examine how they are applied and what they mean to the play.
Essay Topic 2
At least four other plays are mentioned in A TASTE OF HONEY: OTHELLO, DESIRE UNDER THE ELMS, ROMEO AND JULIET and OEDIPUS. Research two of the plays, and write a paper theorizing why Delaney chose those plays for her characters to mention.
Essay Topic 3
Research Shelagh Delaney's life. When did she write A TASTE OF HONEY? How does the play stem from her personal life? What statement was she trying to make with the play?
This section contains 1,566 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)