|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter have in his mouth?
2. Where have Jo and her boyfriend gone to be alone?
3. Regarding her drawings, Jo claims she is not only talented, but:
4. How does Jo burn herself?
5. Where do Jo and her boyfriend agree to meet the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Jo rather be on the streets instead of in films?
2. What school does Helen offer to pay for Jo to attend?
3. Why has Geof's landlady thrown him out according to Geof? According to Jo?
4. Why has Geof told Helen about the baby?
5. What does Jo say to make Geof almost leave the apartment?
6. Why is Helen in ill health?
7. Why is Jo's boyfriend concerned about meeting Helen?
8. How do Geof and Jo's views on life differ? What do they find spurs their conversation?
9. Why did Helen sleep with the village idiot instead of her husband?
10. Why is Jo's boyfriend so surprised when Jo says she does not care if people see them kissing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helen first husband is described by her as a Puritan, and she had not been with a man until she sought out Jo's father in the barn. How do you think Helen's conservative husband shaped her later life? Why did she sleep with someone else, and someone who was considered mentally deficient to boot? Do you think this was the beginning of Helen's life as a social butterfly?
Essay Topic 2
Jo and Geof each feel like misfits, and exist outside of societal expectations. How does this shape their relationship? While individually they are "outside the norm," when they are together they describe each other as "unique" and "unlike anyone else." How do they inspire confidence in one another?
Essay Topic 3
How is Jo's treatment of Geof sometimes similar to Helen's treatment of Jo? Why is Jo so guarded around Geof at first? Has Helen's abandonment created trust issues for Jo? Why does Geof stick around for her occasional verbal abuse?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)