Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jo's boyfriend's plan for the evening when they part?
2. Why does Helen not go to the picture show anymore?
3. What has Jo's boyfriend been carrying for her?
4. What does Helen tell Peter she is giving up?
5. What instrument does Jo's boyfriend joke that his father played?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jo pay for the apartment?
2. Is Helen sensitive about being older than Peter?
3. How does Geof know the drawings belong to Jo?
4. Why has Helen returned to the apartment?
5. Does Jo think she loved her boyfriend?
6. What school does Helen offer to pay for Jo to attend?
7. Why is Helen in ill health?
8. What is Helen's main complaint about Jo?
9. Why is Jo opposed to breastfeeding?
10. How does Peter feel about Jo in the first scene?
Essay Topic 1
Though Jo outwardly despises Helen much of the time, she is also desperate for Helen's attention. How does she attempt to get attention from Helen? Can some of her bratty behavior be attributed to needing Helen's love? Is Helen entirely obtuse when it comes to Jo's attention deprivation, or does she simply choose not to notice?
Essay Topic 2
In Act 1, Scene 1, Jo dreams about Helen's death. How does Helen's reaction to Jo's dream give insight to her character? Is Helen really as flippant and unfeeling as she first appears? How, if at all, does Helen change throughout the play?
Essay Topic 3
How is Jo's treatment of Geof sometimes similar to Helen's treatment of Jo? Why is Jo so guarded around Geof at first? Has Helen's abandonment created trust issues for Jo? Why does Geof stick around for her occasional verbal abuse?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)