|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does the apartment have a bathroom?
2. When trying to purchase the item, what did Jo's boyfriend forget about her physique?
3. What sound do Jo and Helen hear from the river?
4. What does Jo's boyfriend do with the item she finds in his pocket?
5. How does Helen feel when she discovers Jo's ring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Geof whenever Helen is around?
2. Is Helen sensitive about being older than Peter?
3. Who is more suited for motherhood: Geof or Jo?
4. How is the way Jo treats her boyfriend reminiscent of the way Helen treats Peter?
5. What does the contents of Peter's wallet reveal about him?
6. Why does Geof want to tell Helen about the baby initially?
7. How does Helen take Jo's news that her baby will be black?
8. Describe the dream Jo has about Helen.
9. Why would Jo rather be on the streets instead of in films?
10. What gift has Geof bought for Jo, and why is she so upset by it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter is arguably the least-developed character in the play. While the others have complex emotional paths, Peter is very clearly a womanizer and a drunk. Why do you think Delaney included this two-dimensional character with her other well-rounded and developed characters? Do you think Peter is meant to be underdeveloped?
Essay Topic 2
Jo and Geof each feel like misfits, and exist outside of societal expectations. How does this shape their relationship? While individually they are "outside the norm," when they are together they describe each other as "unique" and "unlike anyone else." How do they inspire confidence in one another?
Essay Topic 3
Though Helen has abandoned Jo again at the end of the play, perhaps never to return, Jo is comforted by Geof's nursery rhyme. How can she remain calm, though in labor and completely alone? What has Jo learned about love in the play from Geof? From Helen? From Peter? Do you think Jo is ready for her biracial baby in 1950s England?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)