|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Jo and her boyfriend agree to meet the next day?
(a) They agree to meet in the park.
(b) They agree to meet at the ladies hairdressing place.
(c) They agree to meet in front of Jo's apartment.
(d) They agree to meet at the pier by his ship.
2. What does Helen try to give Jo when Jo complains of being cold?
(a) Helen tries to give Jo a hug.
(b) Helen tries to give Jo whiskey.
(c) Helen tries to give Jo a blanket.
(d) Helen tries to give Jo a slap.
3. What does Jo's boyfriend give her?
(a) He gives her a puppy.
(b) He gives her a ticket to leave on his boat.
(c) He gives her an engagement ring.
(d) He gives her a beautiful dress.
4. How is Jo's boyfriend described in the stage directions?
(a) A colored naval rating.
(b) An Indian colonel.
(c) An Italian brigadier.
(d) A light-haired fiddler.
5. What does Jo notice about Peter's brother's wife in her wedding photo?
(a) The woman was pregnant at her wedding.
(b) The woman is wearing dark glasses.
(c) The woman looks remarkably like Helen.
(d) The woman's dress was not wearing a traditional wedding dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Helen love the dark?
2. What is Helen's reaction to Jo's dream?
3. Just before he leaves, what does Peter whisper to Helen (according to the stage directions)?
4. What does Helen tell Peter she is giving up?
5. What does Helen reveal about Jo's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dream Jo has about Helen.
2. Does Helen feel guilty about Jo's present circumstances? Why or why not?
3. Where did Jo get her bulbs, and how is she supposed to plant them?
4. Rather than Helen, who does Jo think of at the very end of the play that gives her comfort?
5. How do Geof and Jo's views on life differ? What do they find spurs their conversation?
6. Is Jo jealous of Peter Smith? Why or why not?
7. Why does Jo lie to Geof about her boyfriend's origins?
8. From where are Jo's boyfriend's ancestors? Does Jo find this attractive?
9. Why does Geof want to tell Helen about the baby initially?
10. What does the contents of Peter's wallet reveal about him?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)