|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the climate like in the new apartment according to Helen?
(a) The apartment is cold and drafty, a shelter to the four winds.
(b) The apartment is terribly muggy, like a steamhouse.
(c) The apartment is swelteringly hot.
(d) The apartment is stuffy.
2. How does Helen feel when she discovers Jo's ring?
(a) She is angry and disappointed.
(b) She is excited and wants to have a double wedding.
(c) She is very jealous and locks Jo in her room.
(d) She is sad and bursts into tears.
3. What is Peter's profession?
(a) Peter is a teacher.
(b) Peter is a lawyer.
(c) Peter is a cobbler.
(d) Peter is a car salesman.
4. What, because of the time period of the play, is the significant difference between Jo and her boyfriend?
(a) Jo is English, and her boyfriend is American.
(b) Jo is a young girl, and her boyfriend is an old man.
(c) Jo is very tall, and her boyfriend is very short.
(d) Jo is Caucasian and her boyfriend is African.
5. What is one of the items Jo finds in her boyfriend's pocket?
(a) She finds a receipt for $1,000.
(b) She finds a toy car.
(c) She finds a stick of chewing gum.
(d) She finds a gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Helen's reaction to Jo's dream?
2. Where does Jo get her flower bulbs?
3. Why does Jo attack Peter?
4. What did Jo's boyfriend do before he was in the service?
5. What sound do Jo and Helen hear from the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what kind of darkness is Jo afraid?
2. What is one of Helen's habits that Jo truly despises?
3. How does Jo think of her relationship with Geof? What role has he filled in her life?
4. Does Geof think Helen was telling the truth when she told Jo her father was mentally challenged?
5. Why is Jo opposed to breastfeeding?
6. How would you describe Helen's parenting strategy?
7. What are Helen's thoughts on destiny, as she tells Jo after their conversation about the shiek?
8. Where is the bathroom in the new apartment?
9. From where are Jo's boyfriend's ancestors? Does Jo find this attractive?
10. How was Jo comforted last Christmas during Helen's absence?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)