|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Helen explain Jo's behavior to Peter?
(a) Helen claims Jo is jealous of her affections.
(b) Helen claims Jo is deaf.
(c) Helen claims Jo hates all men.
(d) Helen claims Jo is mentally slow.
2. Where do Jo and her boyfriend agree to meet the next day?
(a) They agree to meet in front of Jo's apartment.
(b) They agree to meet at the pier by his ship.
(c) They agree to meet in the park.
(d) They agree to meet at the ladies hairdressing place.
3. Why does her boyfriend like that it gets dark early?
(a) He can kiss her earlier, since no one can see.
(b) His eyes are extremely sensitive.
(c) He only travels at nighttime.
(d) He has a rare allergy to light.
4. What does Helen try to give Jo when Jo complains of being cold?
(a) Helen tries to give Jo a blanket.
(b) Helen tries to give Jo a slap.
(c) Helen tries to give Jo whiskey.
(d) Helen tries to give Jo a hug.
5. Just before he leaves, what does Peter whisper to Helen (according to the stage directions)?
(a) Peter whispers an invitation to his house.
(b) Peter whispers a dirty joke to Helen.
(c) Peter whispers a threat on Jo's life.
(d) Peter whispers words of love.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Helen feel when she discovers Jo's ring?
2. When Peter leaves, what does Jo admit she is afraid of?
3. What item(s) does Jo have that needs to be left in a cool, dark place?
4. What does Jo's boyfriend give her?
5. What important question does Jo's boyfriend ask her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rather than Helen, who does Jo think of at the very end of the play that gives her comfort?
2. Why does Geof ultimately leave Jo?
3. Why has Jo decided to let Geof stay, though they are not in a love relationship?
4. How does Helen take Jo's news that her baby will be black?
5. Describe the dream Jo has about Helen.
6. Why is Jo sorting through her books before Helen and Peter leave?
7. How does Jo pay for the apartment?
8. Is Jo jealous of Peter Smith? Why or why not?
9. How does Peter feel about Jo in the first scene?
10. What does Jo say to make Geof almost leave the apartment?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)