|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Jo's boyfriend?
(a) He is twenty-two.
(b) He is thirty.
(c) He is eighteen.
(d) He is twenty-seven.
2. What does Helen tell Peter she is giving up?
(a) She is giving up sex and men.
(b) She is giving up smoking cigarettes.
(c) She is giving up eating sweets.
(d) She is giving up coffee.
3. How does Jo wear his ring?
(a) Jo puts the ring on a piece of string around her neck.
(b) Jo hides the ring in a safe place to wait for his return.
(c) Jo wears the ring proudly on her finger.
(d) Jo keeps the ring in her pocket, stiched into the seams
4. How is the apartment lit?
(a) The apartment has an antique lamp the is covered in the rent.
(b) The apartment is lit by the stove.
(c) The apartment is lit by a bare bulb hanging from the ceiling.
(d) The apartment is lit by sunlight or moonlight only.
5. Why does Helen not go to the picture show anymore?
(a) She dislikes crowds and avoids them if at all possible.
(b) She loves the theatre and that takes up all her spare time.
(c) She is getting older and needs glasses to see the screen.
(d) She thinks they have become more like the theatre and its difficult to hear.
Short Answer Questions
1. When trying to purchase the item, what did Jo's boyfriend forget about her physique?
2. How does Jo think Helen will react to the engagement?
3. What part of England is the apartment in?
4. What is Jo's boyfriend's plan for the evening when they part?
5. When do they plan to get married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what kind of darkness is Jo afraid?
2. Who is more suited for motherhood: Geof or Jo?
3. How has Helen and Peter's relationship changed since they have been married?
4. Does Helen feel guilty about Jo's present circumstances? Why or why not?
5. Why is Jo opposed to breastfeeding?
6. What is Helen's main complaint about Jo?
7. What does Jo say to make Geof almost leave the apartment?
8. How does Peter feel about Jo in the first scene?
9. From where are Jo's boyfriend's ancestors? Does Jo find this attractive?
10. What school does Helen offer to pay for Jo to attend?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)