|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Geof still have to do for the evening?
(a) He has to fix the lock on the door.
(b) He has to study for his exams.
(c) He has to go to work: he is on the night shift.
(d) He has to take Jo to the doctor.
2. For the first time in her life, how does Jo feel?
(a) She feels like getting on a sailboat.
(b) She feels truly ill and may die.
(c) She feels extremely anxious and cannot even look out the window.
(d) She feels she can take care of herself, Helen, Geof, the baby, and the whole world.
3. Who is planning to make the baby a cradle?
(b) The landlady.
4. When is Jo's baby due?
5. Why does Peter keep singing?
(a) He knows Helen loves to hear him sing.
(b) He thinks the baby will enjoy it.
(c) He is an aspiring musician.
(d) He is drunk and being obnoxious.
6. Where does Jo plan to have the baby?
(a) She plans to have the baby in the hospital.
(b) She plans to have the baby in the apartment.
(c) She plans to have the baby in the forest.
(d) She plans to have the baby in a birthing center.
7. Who does Helen ask for advice right before she leaves?
(d) The audience.
8. What does Geof get Jo to practice for the baby?
(a) A life-sized baby doll.
(b) A diaper and wipes.
(c) A bottle and pacifier.
(d) A blanket.
9. What does Helen plan on sending Jo every week from now on?
(a) Drawing paper.
10. How does Helen describe the way Jo and Geof have been living?
(a) They are living like pigs in a pigsty.
(b) They are looking gift horses in the mouth.
(c) They are living like peas in a pod.
(d) They are living in sin.
11. How does Jo tell Helen to light the stove?
(a) The stove does not works.
(b) Gather some wood and use flint.
(c) Light a match.
(d) Turns all the knobs.
12. Before he leaves, what is the one thing Geof asks of Helen?
(a) He asks her to kill Peter.
(b) He asks her not to frighten Jo.
(c) He asks her to marry him.
(d) He asks her never to speak to him again.
13. Does Geof want to tell Helen about the baby?
(a) Helen already knows.
(d) He's not sure.
14. Where did Helen used to go as a child?
(b) Strawberry Hill.
(d) Shining Clough.
15. Why did Peter leave Helen?
(a) He did not leave her, he died.
(b) He had to move but she did not want to.
(c) He went crazy and had to be locked up.
(d) He found another woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jo share about holding Helen's hand?
2. Why did Jo used to smoke?
3. What happens to the money Helen tries to give Jo?
4. Why has Geof stayed with Jo?
5. What job has Geof gotten for Jo?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)