|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helen bring for Jo?
(d) The mail from downstairs.
2. What job has Geof gotten for Jo?
(a) She cleans houses.
(b) She teaches calculus.
(c) She retouches photographs.
(d) She serves drinks at a bar.
3. Where does Jo plan to have the baby?
(a) She plans to have the baby in the apartment.
(b) She plans to have the baby in a birthing center.
(c) She plans to have the baby in the forest.
(d) She plans to have the baby in the hospital.
4. What does Jo plan to do as her condition becomes more obvious?
(a) She plans to sail after her boyfriend.
(b) She plans to give the baby to the downstairs neighbor.
(c) She plans to quit work so people won't stare at her.
(d) She plans to marry Geof.
5. Why did Peter leave Helen?
(a) He found another woman.
(b) He did not leave her, he died.
(c) He went crazy and had to be locked up.
(d) He had to move but she did not want to.
6. What has Jo told Geof about having a woman in the room when she has the baby?
(a) Jo told Geof she wants no one in the room, including women.
(b) Jo told Geof she wants to be surrounded by women.
(c) Jo told Geof she does not want a woman in the room.
(d) Jo told Geof she only wants one woman in the room: Helen.
7. What does Peter ask for immediately upon entering the apartment?
8. Where did Helen used to go as a child?
(c) Shining Clough.
(d) Strawberry Hill.
9. Why does Jo think the landlady has kicked him out?
(a) She thinks he has been kicked out because he never pays rent.
(b) She thinks he has been kicked out because he has wild parties.
(c) She thinks he has been kicked out because he broke a window.
(d) She thinks he has been kicked him out because he is a homosexual.
10. How does Jo tell Helen to light the stove?
(a) The stove does not works.
(b) Light a match.
(c) Turns all the knobs.
(d) Gather some wood and use flint.
11. Why does Peter claim Helen went off the deep end?
(a) She cannot stand the heat of the summer.
(b) One of her boyfriend dumped her for a younger woman.
(c) Her mental condition finally resurfaced.
(d) She has had too many pills and drinks.
12. How does Jo pay for her apartment?
(a) She has married a man with money.
(b) She works for a lawyer as an apprentice.
(c) She works all day in a shoe shop and all night in a bar.
(d) She gets the money from Helen.
13. When Geof leaves the argument, what task has he been assigned by Jo?
(a) He has been told to make tea.
(b) He has been told to buy food.
(c) He has been told to work on the baby's gown.
(d) He has been told to call the police.
14. In the stage directions, what denotes the changing of time?
(a) Geof and Jo dance on and off stage with different props.
(b) Jo pulls the curtain, then when it opens, everything is different.
(c) The narrator tells the audience that two months have passed.
(d) Helen reenters and looks at her watch.
15. What media does Geof discover that Jo has used for her drawing?
(b) Oil paint.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what have Jo and Geof just come back?
2. Why does Geof leave when Helen arrives?
3. Why does Peter keep singing?
4. How does Helen describe the way Jo and Geof have been living?
5. Why has Geof called Helen?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)