|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who unexpectedly enters after Jo lies down?
(b) The Queen of England.
(c) Jo's boyfriend.
2. Why has Geof called Helen?
(a) He is worried about Jo, and thinks Helen has a right to know about her own grandchild.
(b) He has decided to marry Jo and wants Helen to be there for the proposal.
(c) He is fiercely curious about Jo's mother.
(d) He is tired of caring for Jo and wants to pass her off onto someone else.
3. What animal does Jo compare to Geof?
(a) A watchdog.
(b) An alley cat.
(c) A racehorse.
(d) A songbird.
4. Has Jo reconciled herself to being a mother?
(a) Yes, she is very excited.
(b) No, she still hates the idea.
(c) No, she is giving the baby up for adoption.
(d) Yes, and Helen is ready to be a grandmother.
5. What does Geof still have to do for the evening?
(a) He has to take Jo to the doctor.
(b) He has to study for his exams.
(c) He has to fix the lock on the door.
(d) He has to go to work: he is on the night shift.
6. What are Jo and Geof carrying when they enter the apartment?
(a) They are carrying guns.
(b) They are carrying suitcases.
(c) They are carrying balloons.
(d) They are carrying guitars.
7. Why is Jo so upset by his gift?
(a) She finds dirty diapers disgusting.
(b) She does not want to feed the baby with a bottle.
(c) She says the color of the baby is wrong.
(d) She already has blankets for the baby.
8. Where does Jo tell Geof her boyfriend is from?
(a) She tells Geof he was from the Caribbean.
(b) She tells Geof he was from the moon.
(c) She tells Geof he was from darkest Africa.
(d) She tells Geof he was from London.
9. How does Helen think Jo is carrying the baby?
(a) She thinks the baby is a little high.
(b) She thinks the baby is too big for its age.
(c) She thinks Jo is too small for her trimester.
(d) She thinks the baby is a little low.
10. When is Jo's baby due?
11. What does Jo threaten to do if Helen doesn't leave?
(a) She threatens to marry Geof.
(b) She threatens to jump out the window.
(c) She threatens to call the police.
(d) She threatens to hold her breath until she faints.
12. What happens to the money Helen tries to give Jo?
(a) Jo throws it in the fireplace.
(b) Geof spends it all on baby things.
(c) Peter takes it back before they leave.
(d) Helen takes it back to buy a cradle.
13. What does Helen bring for Jo?
(c) The mail from downstairs.
14. What is Geof cutting out of cloth?
(a) He is cutting the pattern for a baby's gown.
(b) He is cutting cuff holes to make himself a shirt.
(c) He is cutting rags to clean the kitchen.
(d) He is cutting Jo a maternity shirt.
15. Why does Jo let Geof stay with her?
(a) She claims she is sick of love, and knows he will not start anything.
(b) She is deeply in love with him, and hopes he will marry her.
(c) She wants him to teach her to draw.
(d) She is deeply in debt, and needs the money he can pay in rent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Peter keep singing?
2. Who do Helen and Jo hear singing outside?
3. What kind of person does Jo think Geof is like?
4. What is Geof's full name?
5. What does Jo promise to buy Geof for Christmas?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)