|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Peter leave Helen?
(a) He went crazy and had to be locked up.
(b) He had to move but she did not want to.
(c) He did not leave her, he died.
(d) He found another woman.
2. Why has Helen been losing sleep?
(a) The weather is too hot for her to get a good nights' sleep.
(b) She has not been able to stop thinking of Jo since Geof informed her of Jo's condition.
(c) She has always been an insomniac.
(d) There is construction going on at the house.
3. What does Jo plan to do as her condition becomes more obvious?
(a) She plans to marry Geof.
(b) She plans to give the baby to the downstairs neighbor.
(c) She plans to quit work so people won't stare at her.
(d) She plans to sail after her boyfriend.
4. How does Helen describe the way Jo and Geof have been living?
(a) They are living in sin.
(b) They are living like peas in a pod.
(c) They are looking gift horses in the mouth.
(d) They are living like pigs in a pigsty.
5. What does Geof, in his parting words, say is the one thing civilization can't do anything about?
6. Why does Jo let Geof stay with her?
(a) She wants him to teach her to draw.
(b) She claims she is sick of love, and knows he will not start anything.
(c) She is deeply in love with him, and hopes he will marry her.
(d) She is deeply in debt, and needs the money he can pay in rent.
7. What secret does Jo finally reveal to Geof?
(a) She has six toes on one foot.
(b) She is in love with Peter.
(c) She is in love with Geof.
(d) Her father was the village idiot.
8. Why does Jo think the landlady has kicked him out?
(a) She thinks he has been kicked him out because he is a homosexual.
(b) She thinks he has been kicked out because he never pays rent.
(c) She thinks he has been kicked out because he has wild parties.
(d) She thinks he has been kicked out because he broke a window.
9. Where does Jo plan to have the baby?
(a) She plans to have the baby in the forest.
(b) She plans to have the baby in the hospital.
(c) She plans to have the baby in the apartment.
(d) She plans to have the baby in a birthing center.
10. To what classic novel does Jo compare the book she is reading?
(a) Sense and Sensibility.
(b) Oliver Twist.
(c) Hard Times.
(d) Little Women.
11. How does Jo describe Geof's hands?
(a) He has rough, raw hands.
(b) He has warm, small hands.
(c) He has moist, soft hands.
(d) He has nice, hard hands.
12. Why does Geof say his landlady has kicked him out?
(a) She did not like the way he decorated the place.
(b) He stole money from her.
(c) She did not like his art.
(d) He was behind on the rent.
13. What does Jo forbid Helen to do?
(a) She forbids Helen from caring for the baby.
(b) She forbids Helen from drinking.
(c) She forbids Helen from entering the apartment.
(d) She forbids Helen from being rude to Geof.
14. What animal does Jo compare to Geof?
(a) A watchdog.
(b) A songbird.
(c) An alley cat.
(d) A racehorse.
15. How does Helen think Jo is carrying the baby?
(a) She thinks Jo is too small for her trimester.
(b) She thinks the baby is too big for its age.
(c) She thinks the baby is a little low.
(d) She thinks the baby is a little high.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job has Geof gotten for Jo?
2. Who do Helen and Jo hear singing outside?
3. Why has Helen come back?
4. From what have Jo and Geof just come back?
5. What does Helen bring for Jo?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)