|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jo retort when Helen accuses her of being man mad?
(a) Jo hotly denies Helen's insult.
(b) Jo bursts into tears and collapses.
(c) Jo claims yes, she is man mad, like Helen.
(d) Jo says nothing, stunned into silence.
2. What has Helen brought Jo?
(a) A crib.
(b) A dog.
(d) Job listings.
3. What happens to the money Helen tries to give Jo?
(a) Geof spends it all on baby things.
(b) Peter takes it back before they leave.
(c) Jo throws it in the fireplace.
(d) Helen takes it back to buy a cradle.
4. What is Geof cutting out of cloth?
(a) He is cutting the pattern for a baby's gown.
(b) He is cutting cuff holes to make himself a shirt.
(c) He is cutting Jo a maternity shirt.
(d) He is cutting rags to clean the kitchen.
5. What is Geof's full name?
(a) Geoffrey Ingram.
(b) Geoffrey Jones.
(c) Geoffrey Smith.
(d) Geoffrey Billingsly.
6. What does Jo joke she will name the baby?
(a) Number one.
7. Why does Jo think Helen has returned?
(a) She thinks Helen truly wants to be a grandmother.
(b) She thinks Helen wants to marry Geof instead.
(c) She thinks Helen has finally gone crazy.
(d) She thinks Peter has kicked her out.
8. What does Jo plan to do as her condition becomes more obvious?
(a) She plans to quit work so people won't stare at her.
(b) She plans to marry Geof.
(c) She plans to give the baby to the downstairs neighbor.
(d) She plans to sail after her boyfriend.
9. What major piece of information about the baby does Jo finally share with Helen?
(a) The baby is Geof's.
(b) The baby may be premature.
(c) The baby is fake and she has been pretending.
(d) The baby may be black.
10. What baby item has Helen ordered for Jo?
(a) A little baby jumper.
(b) Lots of diapers and wipes.
(c) A cot with pink frills.
(d) A deluxe bottle.
11. Where does Jo plan to have the baby?
(a) She plans to have the baby in the hospital.
(b) She plans to have the baby in the apartment.
(c) She plans to have the baby in the forest.
(d) She plans to have the baby in a birthing center.
12. Why has Helen come back?
(a) Her house burned down.
(b) She is excited to be a grandmother.
(c) She is in love with Geof and wants him for herself.
(d) She plans to look after Jo.
13. How does Jo tell Helen to light the stove?
(a) Turns all the knobs.
(b) Light a match.
(c) The stove does not works.
(d) Gather some wood and use flint.
14. For the first time in her life, how does Jo feel?
(a) She feels like getting on a sailboat.
(b) She feels she can take care of herself, Helen, Geof, the baby, and the whole world.
(c) She feels truly ill and may die.
(d) She feels extremely anxious and cannot even look out the window.
15. How does Helen describe the way Jo and Geof have been living?
(a) They are looking gift horses in the mouth.
(b) They are living like pigs in a pigsty.
(c) They are living like peas in a pod.
(d) They are living in sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is planning to make the baby a cradle?
2. What ancestry does Jo claim?
3. What does Peter ask for immediately upon entering the apartment?
4. Why does Jo think the landlady has kicked him out?
5. What are Jo and Geof doing in the stage directions at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)