|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Helen and Jo hear singing outside?
(c) The church choir.
2. Who does Jo wish were there with them, though Geof reminds her they do not get along?
(c) The landlady.
3. Has Jo reconciled herself to being a mother?
(a) Yes, and Helen is ready to be a grandmother.
(b) Yes, she is very excited.
(c) No, she is giving the baby up for adoption.
(d) No, she still hates the idea.
4. What does Jo promise to buy Geof for Christmas?
(a) She promises to buy him dinner.
(b) She promises to buy him a bed.
(c) She promises to buy him a dog.
(d) She promises to buy him a car.
5. How does Jo retort when Helen accuses her of being man mad?
(a) Jo hotly denies Helen's insult.
(b) Jo bursts into tears and collapses.
(c) Jo claims yes, she is man mad, like Helen.
(d) Jo says nothing, stunned into silence.
6. Why does Jo let Geof stay with her?
(a) She wants him to teach her to draw.
(b) She is deeply in love with him, and hopes he will marry her.
(c) She is deeply in debt, and needs the money he can pay in rent.
(d) She claims she is sick of love, and knows he will not start anything.
7. Why is Jo not eligible for maternity leave money?
(a) She is too lazy to go down and collect the checks.
(b) She has not been working long enough.
(c) She is being punished by her company.
(d) Her baby does not have a father, and the companies will not pay.
8. What does Helen bring for Jo?
(a) The mail from downstairs.
9. What does Geof still have to do for the evening?
(a) He has to fix the lock on the door.
(b) He has to go to work: he is on the night shift.
(c) He has to take Jo to the doctor.
(d) He has to study for his exams.
10. What does Jo share about holding Helen's hand?
(a) Helen would always squeeze her hand tightly.
(b) Helen would always scratch Jo's hand.
(c) Helen would always have sweaty palms.
(d) Helen would always pull her hand away.
11. What has Helen brought Jo?
(a) A crib.
(b) A dog.
(c) Job listings.
12. What major piece of information about the baby does Jo finally share with Helen?
(a) The baby may be premature.
(b) The baby is fake and she has been pretending.
(c) The baby may be black.
(d) The baby is Geof's.
13. From what have Jo and Geof just come back?
(a) A concert.
(b) A wake.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A fair.
14. For the first time in her life, how does Jo feel?
(a) She feels she can take care of herself, Helen, Geof, the baby, and the whole world.
(b) She feels like getting on a sailboat.
(c) She feels truly ill and may die.
(d) She feels extremely anxious and cannot even look out the window.
15. Where does Jo plan to have the baby?
(a) She plans to have the baby in the hospital.
(b) She plans to have the baby in the apartment.
(c) She plans to have the baby in a birthing center.
(d) She plans to have the baby in the forest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are some of the names Peter calls Geof?
2. What does Jo forbid Helen to do?
3. When is Jo's baby due?
4. How does Jo pay for her apartment?
5. Why does Peter keep singing?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)