|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what have Jo and Geof just come back?
(a) A wake.
(b) A fair.
(c) A concert.
(d) A wedding.
2. Why does Geof say his landlady has kicked him out?
(a) She did not like the way he decorated the place.
(b) He was behind on the rent.
(c) He stole money from her.
(d) She did not like his art.
3. What does Geof still have to do for the evening?
(a) He has to fix the lock on the door.
(b) He has to study for his exams.
(c) He has to take Jo to the doctor.
(d) He has to go to work: he is on the night shift.
4. Who do Helen and Jo hear singing outside?
(b) The church choir.
5. How does Jo feel about the creation of life?
(a) She thinks making a baby is a spiritual experience.
(b) She thinks like is wonderful and wants to have more babies.
(c) She thinks people do not ask for life, but have it thrust upon them.
(d) She thinks life is terrible and everyone should wish for death.
6. Why is Jo not eligible for maternity leave money?
(a) She is being punished by her company.
(b) She has not been working long enough.
(c) She is too lazy to go down and collect the checks.
(d) Her baby does not have a father, and the companies will not pay.
7. Where does Jo tell Geof her boyfriend is from?
(a) She tells Geof he was from the Caribbean.
(b) She tells Geof he was from London.
(c) She tells Geof he was from darkest Africa.
(d) She tells Geof he was from the moon.
8. Where did Helen used to go as a child?
(a) Shining Clough.
(d) Strawberry Hill.
9. Before he leaves, what is the one thing Geof asks of Helen?
(a) He asks her to marry him.
(b) He asks her not to frighten Jo.
(c) He asks her never to speak to him again.
(d) He asks her to kill Peter.
10. How does Jo describe Geof's hands?
(a) He has rough, raw hands.
(b) He has warm, small hands.
(c) He has nice, hard hands.
(d) He has moist, soft hands.
11. To what does Helen compare Jo's physical condition?
(a) A pale horse.
(b) A starving princess.
(c) A sickly child.
(d) A ghost warmed up.
12. What does Geof, in his parting words, say is the one thing civilization can't do anything about?
13. What is Geof cooking?
(a) A suckling pig.
(b) A pot roast.
(c) A chicken.
(d) A cake.
14. What does the baby physically do to Jo?
(a) The baby makes her feel sick.
(b) The baby makes her sensitive, so she can no longer eat spicy food.
(c) The baby kicks her.
(d) The baby makes her unable to stand.
15. What classical Greek figure is in the joke Peter tells Geof?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jo so upset by his gift?
2. What animal does Jo compare to Geof?
3. What media does Geof discover that Jo has used for her drawing?
4. What is Geof's full name?
5. What does Jo plan to do as her condition becomes more obvious?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)