|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what have Jo and Geof just come back?
(a) A wake.
(b) A fair.
(c) A concert.
(d) A wedding.
2. What has Helen brought Jo?
(a) A dog.
(b) Job listings.
(c) A crib.
3. Why does Geof leave when Helen arrives?
(a) He is ill and must go to the doctor.
(b) He despises Helen and cannot stand to be in the same room as her.
(c) He has been planning to leave Jo and this is his opportunity.
(d) She asks him to leave, and he needs to pick up supplies for the weekend.
4. How does Jo retort when Helen accuses her of being man mad?
(a) Jo claims yes, she is man mad, like Helen.
(b) Jo hotly denies Helen's insult.
(c) Jo says nothing, stunned into silence.
(d) Jo bursts into tears and collapses.
5. What does Jo plan to do as her condition becomes more obvious?
(a) She plans to marry Geof.
(b) She plans to give the baby to the downstairs neighbor.
(c) She plans to sail after her boyfriend.
(d) She plans to quit work so people won't stare at her.
6. What is Geof cutting out of cloth?
(a) He is cutting the pattern for a baby's gown.
(b) He is cutting rags to clean the kitchen.
(c) He is cutting Jo a maternity shirt.
(d) He is cutting cuff holes to make himself a shirt.
7. When is Jo's baby due?
8. Who unexpectedly enters after Jo lies down?
(b) The Queen of England.
(d) Jo's boyfriend.
9. To what does Helen compare Jo's physical condition?
(a) A pale horse.
(b) A sickly child.
(c) A starving princess.
(d) A ghost warmed up.
10. Who is planning to make the baby a cradle?
(b) The landlady.
11. What does Jo share about holding Helen's hand?
(a) Helen would always squeeze her hand tightly.
(b) Helen would always have sweaty palms.
(c) Helen would always pull her hand away.
(d) Helen would always scratch Jo's hand.
12. What does Geof still have to do for the evening?
(a) He has to fix the lock on the door.
(b) He has to take Jo to the doctor.
(c) He has to study for his exams.
(d) He has to go to work: he is on the night shift.
13. Where does Jo tell Geof her boyfriend is from?
(a) She tells Geof he was from darkest Africa.
(b) She tells Geof he was from London.
(c) She tells Geof he was from the moon.
(d) She tells Geof he was from the Caribbean.
14. What was Jo's boyfriend's name?
(a) Prince Richard.
15. What baby item has Helen ordered for Jo?
(a) A cot with pink frills.
(b) A little baby jumper.
(c) A deluxe bottle.
(d) Lots of diapers and wipes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job has Geof gotten for Jo?
2. Why does Jo think the landlady has kicked him out?
3. What does Geof bring home that Helen does not approve of?
4. What does Helen plan on sending Jo every week from now on?
5. Does Geof want to tell Helen about the baby?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)