|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Helen compare Jo's physical condition?
(a) A starving princess.
(b) A sickly child.
(c) A ghost warmed up.
(d) A pale horse.
2. Who do Helen and Jo hear singing outside?
(d) The church choir.
3. Why is Jo not eligible for maternity leave money?
(a) She has not been working long enough.
(b) She is being punished by her company.
(c) She is too lazy to go down and collect the checks.
(d) Her baby does not have a father, and the companies will not pay.
4. Where does Jo tell Geof her boyfriend is from?
(a) She tells Geof he was from the Caribbean.
(b) She tells Geof he was from the moon.
(c) She tells Geof he was from darkest Africa.
(d) She tells Geof he was from London.
5. For the first time in her life, how does Jo feel?
(a) She feels extremely anxious and cannot even look out the window.
(b) She feels like getting on a sailboat.
(c) She feels she can take care of herself, Helen, Geof, the baby, and the whole world.
(d) She feels truly ill and may die.
6. What does Jo promise to buy Geof for Christmas?
(a) She promises to buy him a bed.
(b) She promises to buy him a car.
(c) She promises to buy him dinner.
(d) She promises to buy him a dog.
7. Where did Helen used to go as a child?
(a) Shining Clough.
(b) Strawberry Hill.
8. What does Geof still have to do for the evening?
(a) He has to go to work: he is on the night shift.
(b) He has to study for his exams.
(c) He has to take Jo to the doctor.
(d) He has to fix the lock on the door.
9. What happens to the money Helen tries to give Jo?
(a) Peter takes it back before they leave.
(b) Geof spends it all on baby things.
(c) Helen takes it back to buy a cradle.
(d) Jo throws it in the fireplace.
10. Why has Geof called Helen?
(a) He is tired of caring for Jo and wants to pass her off onto someone else.
(b) He has decided to marry Jo and wants Helen to be there for the proposal.
(c) He is worried about Jo, and thinks Helen has a right to know about her own grandchild.
(d) He is fiercely curious about Jo's mother.
11. What job has Geof gotten for Jo?
(a) She teaches calculus.
(b) She retouches photographs.
(c) She cleans houses.
(d) She serves drinks at a bar.
12. What does Helen bring for Jo?
(c) The mail from downstairs.
13. What are some of the names Peter calls Geof?
(a) Poor, thin, and dirty.
(b) Silly, dumb, and ugly.
(c) Jezebel, Mary, and Cuddles.
(d) Sam, Harry, and George.
14. What has Helen brought Jo?
(a) Job listings.
(b) A crib.
(c) A dog.
15. How does Jo think Helen feels about Peter?
(a) Jo thinks Helen is still in love with Peter.
(b) Jo thinks Helen has always hated Peter.
(c) Jo thinks Helen thought of Peter as her own son.
(d) Jo thinks Helen does not care about Peter one way or the other.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jo tell Helen to light the stove?
2. When is Jo's baby due?
3. What secret does Jo finally reveal to Geof?
4. What animal does Jo compare to Geof?
5. Why is Jo so upset by his gift?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)