|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Geof called Helen?
(a) He is worried about Jo, and thinks Helen has a right to know about her own grandchild.
(b) He has decided to marry Jo and wants Helen to be there for the proposal.
(c) He is fiercely curious about Jo's mother.
(d) He is tired of caring for Jo and wants to pass her off onto someone else.
2. How does Helen describe the way Jo and Geof have been living?
(a) They are looking gift horses in the mouth.
(b) They are living like peas in a pod.
(c) They are living in sin.
(d) They are living like pigs in a pigsty.
3. What has Jo told Geof about having a woman in the room when she has the baby?
(a) Jo told Geof she wants to be surrounded by women.
(b) Jo told Geof she only wants one woman in the room: Helen.
(c) Jo told Geof she does not want a woman in the room.
(d) Jo told Geof she wants no one in the room, including women.
4. What does Geof get Jo to practice for the baby?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A bottle and pacifier.
(c) A diaper and wipes.
(d) A life-sized baby doll.
5. For the first time in her life, how does Jo feel?
(a) She feels she can take care of herself, Helen, Geof, the baby, and the whole world.
(b) She feels extremely anxious and cannot even look out the window.
(c) She feels truly ill and may die.
(d) She feels like getting on a sailboat.
6. What does Jo threaten to do if Helen doesn't leave?
(a) She threatens to hold her breath until she faints.
(b) She threatens to jump out the window.
(c) She threatens to call the police.
(d) She threatens to marry Geof.
7. How does Jo retort when Helen accuses her of being man mad?
(a) Jo claims yes, she is man mad, like Helen.
(b) Jo says nothing, stunned into silence.
(c) Jo hotly denies Helen's insult.
(d) Jo bursts into tears and collapses.
8. What does Jo plan to do as her condition becomes more obvious?
(a) She plans to marry Geof.
(b) She plans to quit work so people won't stare at her.
(c) She plans to sail after her boyfriend.
(d) She plans to give the baby to the downstairs neighbor.
9. Has Jo reconciled herself to being a mother?
(a) Yes, and Helen is ready to be a grandmother.
(b) No, she is giving the baby up for adoption.
(c) Yes, she is very excited.
(d) No, she still hates the idea.
10. What baby item has Helen ordered for Jo?
(a) A little baby jumper.
(b) Lots of diapers and wipes.
(c) A cot with pink frills.
(d) A deluxe bottle.
11. What is Geof's full name?
(a) Geoffrey Smith.
(b) Geoffrey Ingram.
(c) Geoffrey Jones.
(d) Geoffrey Billingsly.
12. In the stage directions, what denotes the changing of time?
(a) Jo pulls the curtain, then when it opens, everything is different.
(b) Helen reenters and looks at her watch.
(c) The narrator tells the audience that two months have passed.
(d) Geof and Jo dance on and off stage with different props.
13. How does Jo think Helen feels about Peter?
(a) Jo thinks Helen is still in love with Peter.
(b) Jo thinks Helen thought of Peter as her own son.
(c) Jo thinks Helen has always hated Peter.
(d) Jo thinks Helen does not care about Peter one way or the other.
14. Who is planning to make the baby a cradle?
(d) The landlady.
15. Who do Helen and Jo hear singing outside?
(a) The church choir.
Short Answer Questions
1. What political party does Jo tell Helen she and Geof are affiliated with?
2. What does Peter ask for immediately upon entering the apartment?
3. How does Helen think Jo is carrying the baby?
4. What is Geof cutting out of cloth?
5. Who does Jo wish were there with them, though Geof reminds her they do not get along?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)