|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Peter leave Helen?
(a) He went crazy and had to be locked up.
(b) He had to move but she did not want to.
(c) He found another woman.
(d) He did not leave her, he died.
2. What does Jo plan to do as her condition becomes more obvious?
(a) She plans to sail after her boyfriend.
(b) She plans to give the baby to the downstairs neighbor.
(c) She plans to marry Geof.
(d) She plans to quit work so people won't stare at her.
3. Why has Helen come back?
(a) She is excited to be a grandmother.
(b) She is in love with Geof and wants him for herself.
(c) Her house burned down.
(d) She plans to look after Jo.
4. Who does Helen ask for advice right before she leaves?
(c) The audience.
5. What does Jo forbid Helen to do?
(a) She forbids Helen from being rude to Geof.
(b) She forbids Helen from caring for the baby.
(c) She forbids Helen from entering the apartment.
(d) She forbids Helen from drinking.
6. How does Jo tell Helen to light the stove?
(a) Gather some wood and use flint.
(b) The stove does not works.
(c) Turns all the knobs.
(d) Light a match.
7. What classical Greek figure is in the joke Peter tells Geof?
8. What does Helen leave to do?
(a) She leaves to get a drink.
(b) She leaves to go to America.
(c) She leaves to find Peter.
(d) She leaves to find Geof.
9. How does Jo feel about the creation of life?
(a) She thinks like is wonderful and wants to have more babies.
(b) She thinks life is terrible and everyone should wish for death.
(c) She thinks making a baby is a spiritual experience.
(d) She thinks people do not ask for life, but have it thrust upon them.
10. Who does Helen encourage Jo to locate?
(a) The landlady.
(b) The baby's father.
11. What is the color of the river, according to Jo?
12. Who unexpectedly enters after Jo lies down?
(b) Jo's boyfriend.
(d) The Queen of England.
13. Why does Peter claim Helen went off the deep end?
(a) Her mental condition finally resurfaced.
(b) She has had too many pills and drinks.
(c) One of her boyfriend dumped her for a younger woman.
(d) She cannot stand the heat of the summer.
14. To what does Helen compare Jo's physical condition?
(a) A sickly child.
(b) A starving princess.
(c) A pale horse.
(d) A ghost warmed up.
15. Has Jo reconciled herself to being a mother?
(a) No, she still hates the idea.
(b) Yes, and Helen is ready to be a grandmother.
(c) Yes, she is very excited.
(d) No, she is giving the baby up for adoption.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Jo used to smoke?
2. From what have Jo and Geof just come back?
3. When Geof returns, what medicine does Jo ask him to give her?
4. What are Jo and Geof carrying when they enter the apartment?
5. Why does Jo let Geof stay with her?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)