|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the items Jo finds in her boyfriend's pocket?
(a) She finds a gun.
(b) She finds a toy car.
(c) She finds a receipt for $1,000.
(d) She finds a stick of chewing gum.
2. What is Peter's last name?
3. How old is Jo's boyfriend?
(a) He is thirty.
(b) He is twenty-seven.
(c) He is eighteen.
(d) He is twenty-two.
4. How does Helen describe the wallpaper?
5. What, because of the time period of the play, is the significant difference between Jo and her boyfriend?
(a) Jo is a young girl, and her boyfriend is an old man.
(b) Jo is English, and her boyfriend is American.
(c) Jo is very tall, and her boyfriend is very short.
(d) Jo is Caucasian and her boyfriend is African.
6. What is the title of one of the movies Helen sees in the paper?
(a) The Ten Commandments.
(b) Gone with the Wind.
(c) The Big Sleep.
(d) Ben Hur.
7. What does Helen try to give Jo when Jo complains of being cold?
(a) Helen tries to give Jo a slap.
(b) Helen tries to give Jo a hug.
(c) Helen tries to give Jo a blanket.
(d) Helen tries to give Jo whiskey.
8. How does Jo make Helen's coffee?
(a) Jo makes the coffee very weak, because she knows Helen likes it strong.
(b) Jo makes Helen's coffee with cream, because she knows Helen takes her coffee with cream.
(c) Jo makes Helen's coffee very strong, because she knows Helen likes it weak.
(d) Jo makes Helen's coffee with sugar, because she knows Helen hates sugar.
9. Why has Helen chosen this apartment?
(a) The rent is low enough for her to pay.
(b) The two rooms allow Jo to have her own apartment.
(c) The appliances are new.
(d) The neighborhood is much nicer than their old neighborhood.
10. What did Jo's boyfriend do before he was in the service?
(a) He was a butcher.
(b) He was a male nurse.
(c) He was a veterinarian.
(d) He was a handyman.
11. Why does her boyfriend like that it gets dark early?
(a) He can kiss her earlier, since no one can see.
(b) His eyes are extremely sensitive.
(c) He only travels at nighttime.
(d) He has a rare allergy to light.
12. What is Jo sorting through before Helen and Peter leave?
(a) She is sorting through books.
(b) She is sorting through the kitchen.
(c) She is sorting through clothes.
(d) She is sorting through magazines.
13. What important question does Jo's boyfriend ask her?
(a) He asks her what candy she like the best.
(b) He asks her is she knows the identity of her father.
(c) He asks her to marry him.
(d) He asks her what time to meet later.
14. Just before he leaves, what does Peter whisper to Helen (according to the stage directions)?
(a) Peter whispers a threat on Jo's life.
(b) Peter whispers an invitation to his house.
(c) Peter whispers words of love.
(d) Peter whispers a dirty joke to Helen.
15. What excites her boyfriend the most about their relationship?
(a) He likes that Jo is quitting school.
(b) He likes that Jo is an excellent dancer.
(c) He likes that Jo speaks another language.
(d) He likes that Jo does not care about his color.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of music do the first stage directions say should be playing?
2. Why did Helen's first husband divorce her?
3. What factory is across the street from the flat?
4. Why have Helen and Jo moved again?
5. Where does Jo plan to work after Christmas?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)