|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Jo think was was in love with, as she confesses to Heaven?
(a) She thought she was in love with a boy in a book.
(b) She thought she was in love with a rock star.
(c) She thought she was in love with the boy around the corner.
(d) She thought she was in love with one of Helen's fancy men.
2. What is Helen's age compared to Peter's age?
(a) Peter is old enough to be Helen's father.
(b) Helen and Peter are the same age.
(c) Helen is old enough to be Peter's mother.
(d) Peter is exactly three months older.
3. What is the climate like in the new apartment according to Helen?
(a) The apartment is terribly muggy, like a steamhouse.
(b) The apartment is cold and drafty, a shelter to the four winds.
(c) The apartment is swelteringly hot.
(d) The apartment is stuffy.
4. What important question does Jo's boyfriend ask her?
(a) He asks her to marry him.
(b) He asks her what time to meet later.
(c) He asks her what candy she like the best.
(d) He asks her is she knows the identity of her father.
5. What sound do Jo and Helen hear from the river?
(a) They hear a submarine resurfacing.
(b) They hear the song of a whale.
(c) They hear the cannons of a battleship.
(d) They hear a tugboat.
6. Why does Jo attack Peter?
(a) She wants him to go back to the bar and wait for she and Helen to be ready.
(b) She wants him to make her dinner because she is starving.
(c) She wants him to leave she and Helen alone because he is not her father.
(d) She wants him to return the dress because she hates the color.
7. Why does Helen not go to the picture show anymore?
(a) She loves the theatre and that takes up all her spare time.
(b) She dislikes crowds and avoids them if at all possible.
(c) She thinks they have become more like the theatre and its difficult to hear.
(d) She is getting older and needs glasses to see the screen.
8. What are Peter and Helen celebrating?
(a) Helen is pregnant.
(b) Jo is graduating from high school.
(c) Peter found them a house.
(d) Peter got a new job.
9. What is the title of one of the movies Helen sees in the paper?
(a) Ben Hur.
(b) Gone with the Wind.
(c) The Ten Commandments.
(d) The Big Sleep.
10. How does Jo wear his ring?
(a) Jo keeps the ring in her pocket, stiched into the seams
(b) Jo wears the ring proudly on her finger.
(c) Jo hides the ring in a safe place to wait for his return.
(d) Jo puts the ring on a piece of string around her neck.
11. What does Peter wear on his eye(s)?
(a) He wears sunglasses.
(b) He wears eyeglasses.
(c) He wears a black eye patch.
(d) He wears a mask.
12. Since the move, what is the difference in travel time for Jo's trip to school?
(a) Jo quit school before the move.
(b) Jo is much farther away from the school, so it will take longer.
(c) Jo is much closer to school, she she will get there more quickly.
(d) Jo is about the same distance from the school as before.
13. What is Peter carrying when he enters the flat?
(a) He is carrying chocolates and flowers.
(b) He is carrying a suitcase.
(c) He is carrying his jacket and an umbrella.
(d) He is carrying a dog in from outside.
14. In which branch of the armed forces did Peter serve?
(a) The navy.
(b) The army.
(c) The airforce.
(d) The marines.
15. What is Jo's relationship to Helen?
(a) Jo is Helen's sister.
(b) Jo is Helen's daughter.
(c) Jo is Helen's mother.
(d) Jo is Helen's aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of music do the first stage directions say should be playing?
2. What does Jo's boyfriend do with the item she finds in his pocket?
3. What excites her boyfriend the most about their relationship?
4. What artistic item does Helen discover of Jo's?
5. What instrument does Jo's boyfriend joke that his father played?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)