|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why have Helen and Jo moved again?
(a) Jo is running away from a man.
(b) Helen is running away from a man.
(c) Jo insisted upon getting her own room, so they moved.
(d) Helen found a better apartment in a nicer neighborhood.
2. What is Helen's age compared to Peter's age?
(a) Helen and Peter are the same age.
(b) Helen is old enough to be Peter's mother.
(c) Peter is old enough to be Helen's father.
(d) Peter is exactly three months older.
3. What specific kind of dark scares Jo?
(a) The darkness inside houses.
(b) The darkness outside.
(c) The darkness of caves.
(d) The darkness in schools.
4. What factory is across the street from the flat?
(a) A slaughterhouse.
(b) A bread factory.
(c) A peanut processing factory.
(d) A Whirlpool plant.
5. What important event in Jo's life has Helen forgotten?
(a) Helen has forgotten Jo's graduation.
(b) Helen has forgotten the date of Jo's birth.
(c) Helen has forgotten when Jo lost her first tooth.
(d) Helen has forgotten Jo's first words.
6. How does Jo describe her complexion?
(a) A schoolgirl complexion.
(b) A pinkish complexion.
(c) A tan complexion.
(d) An American complexion.
7. How is Jo's boyfriend described in the stage directions?
(a) An Indian colonel.
(b) An Italian brigadier.
(c) A light-haired fiddler.
(d) A colored naval rating.
8. What does Peter have in his mouth?
(a) A cheroot.
(b) A sandwich.
(c) A cigar.
(d) A toothpick.
9. What is Jo sorting through before Helen and Peter leave?
(a) She is sorting through magazines.
(b) She is sorting through the kitchen.
(c) She is sorting through clothes.
(d) She is sorting through books.
10. Where were Jo's boyfriend's ancestors from?
(c) The Caribbean.
11. What is Jo's boyfriend's plan for the evening when they part?
(a) He is going to a museum.
(b) He is going drinking with the boys.
(c) He is going back to the ship because he is on duty.
(d) He is going to a library.
12. What important question does Jo's boyfriend ask her?
(a) He asks her is she knows the identity of her father.
(b) He asks her to marry him.
(c) He asks her what time to meet later.
(d) He asks her what candy she like the best.
13. What excites her boyfriend the most about their relationship?
(a) He likes that Jo speaks another language.
(b) He likes that Jo is quitting school.
(c) He likes that Jo is an excellent dancer.
(d) He likes that Jo does not care about his color.
14. What are Jo and Helen carrying into the flat?
(a) They are carrying carpet.
(b) They are carrying bookshelves.
(c) They are carrying babies.
(d) They are carrying bags.
15. What is Jo's relationship to Helen?
(a) Jo is Helen's sister.
(b) Jo is Helen's mother.
(c) Jo is Helen's aunt.
(d) Jo is Helen's daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Regarding her drawings, Jo claims she is not only talented, but:
2. How does Helen explain Jo's behavior to Peter?
3. What is Helen's reaction to Jo's dream?
4. What does Helen need for her head?
5. What does Jo's boyfriend put in her milk?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)