|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Helen's age compared to Peter's age?
(a) Peter is old enough to be Helen's father.
(b) Peter is exactly three months older.
(c) Helen and Peter are the same age.
(d) Helen is old enough to be Peter's mother.
2. What sound do Jo and Helen hear from the river?
(a) They hear a tugboat.
(b) They hear a submarine resurfacing.
(c) They hear the song of a whale.
(d) They hear the cannons of a battleship.
3. Why does Helen love the dark?
(a) She thinks everything is best seen in the dark---including her.
(b) She is a thief, and everything is best stolen in the dark.
(c) She has sensitive eyes, and bright lights hurt her.
(d) She has very fair skin and sunburns easily.
4. When Peter leaves, what does Jo admit she is afraid of?
(a) Jo is afraid of heights.
(b) Jo is afraid of the dark.
(c) Jo is afraid of strangers.
(d) Jo is afraid of spiders.
5. Where does Jo threaten to put Helen if she marries again?
(a) An institution.
(b) A church.
(d) The police station.
6. How does Jo make Helen's coffee?
(a) Jo makes Helen's coffee very strong, because she knows Helen likes it weak.
(b) Jo makes Helen's coffee with sugar, because she knows Helen hates sugar.
(c) Jo makes the coffee very weak, because she knows Helen likes it strong.
(d) Jo makes Helen's coffee with cream, because she knows Helen takes her coffee with cream.
7. What does Helen need for her head?
(a) She needs aspirin, or some sort of headache medicine.
(b) She needs a scarf, because she hasn't has a haircut.
(c) She needs a therapist to help sort out her thoughts.
(d) She needs a hat to match her outfit.
8. What artistic item does Helen discover of Jo's?
(a) She discovers Jo's paintings.
(b) She discovers Jo's drawings.
(c) She discovers Jo's novel.
(d) She discovers Jo's knitting.
9. Why does her boyfriend like that it gets dark early?
(a) He can kiss her earlier, since no one can see.
(b) He has a rare allergy to light.
(c) His eyes are extremely sensitive.
(d) He only travels at nighttime.
10. What is Helen's reaction to Jo's dream?
(a) Helen jokes that everyone should be used to manure after death, then moves on.
(b) Helen is terrified, and immediatly committs Jo to a mental facility.
(c) Hele thinks it is hilarious, and almost faints from laughter.
(d) Helen is extremely offended, and slaps Jo across her face.
11. Where does Helen offer to send Jo?
(a) She offers to send her on a world tour.
(b) She offers to send her on a cruise.
(c) She offers to get her an apartment of her own.
(d) She offers to send her to art school.
12. What is one of the items Jo finds in her boyfriend's pocket?
(a) She finds a receipt for $1,000.
(b) She finds a stick of chewing gum.
(c) She finds a toy car.
(d) She finds a gun.
13. Where does Jo hope to be before she turns forty?
(a) She hopes to be living in France.
(b) She hopes to be rich and famous.
(c) She hopes to be dead and buried.
(d) She hopes to be married with lots of children.
14. How is the apartment lit?
(a) The apartment is lit by a bare bulb hanging from the ceiling.
(b) The apartment is lit by the stove.
(c) The apartment is lit by sunlight or moonlight only.
(d) The apartment has an antique lamp the is covered in the rent.
15. What type of music do the first stage directions say should be playing?
(a) Jazz music.
(b) Blues music.
(c) Rock music.
(d) Rap music.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jo's boyfriend do before he was in the service?
2. What part of England is the apartment in?
3. What kind of cigar is Peter smoking?
4. How does Helen feel when she discovers Jo's ring?
5. How does Jo wear his ring?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)