|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helen begin to drink when she enters the flat?
(a) She drinks soda.
(b) She drinks orange juice.
(c) She drinks gin.
(d) She drinks whiskey.
2. What does Jo notice about Peter's brother's wife in her wedding photo?
(a) The woman's dress was not wearing a traditional wedding dress.
(b) The woman is wearing dark glasses.
(c) The woman looks remarkably like Helen.
(d) The woman was pregnant at her wedding.
3. Why did Helen's first husband divorce her?
(a) He divorced her because she got pregnant with Jo by another man.
(b) He divorced her because she stole all of his money.
(c) He divorced her because he did not want to be a father and was not ready for the responsibility.
(d) He divorced her because they could not agree on where to live.
4. When do they plan to get married?
(a) They plan to marry during his next leave, in six months.
(b) They plan to marry in one year.
(c) They plan to marry in five years, and have a dream wedding.
(d) They plan to marry the next day.
5. Where does Helen offer to send Jo?
(a) She offers to send her to art school.
(b) She offers to send her on a cruise.
(c) She offers to get her an apartment of her own.
(d) She offers to send her on a world tour.
6. What does Helen need for her head?
(a) She needs a hat to match her outfit.
(b) She needs a therapist to help sort out her thoughts.
(c) She needs aspirin, or some sort of headache medicine.
(d) She needs a scarf, because she hasn't has a haircut.
7. What does Helen try to give Jo when Jo complains of being cold?
(a) Helen tries to give Jo a blanket.
(b) Helen tries to give Jo whiskey.
(c) Helen tries to give Jo a hug.
(d) Helen tries to give Jo a slap.
8. What instrument does Jo's boyfriend joke that his father played?
(a) The tom-tom.
(b) The piano.
(c) The saxophone.
(d) The triangle.
9. Why has Peter tracked Helen down?
(a) He wants Helen to marry him.
(b) Helen owes him money.
(c) Jo owes him money.
(d) He wants Jo to marry him.
10. To what does Helen compare their bed?
(a) She compares it to a grassy knoll.
(b) She compares it to a slaughterhouse.
(c) She compares it to a cloud.
(d) She compares it to a coffin.
11. What does Jo throw at Peter?
(a) A pot from the kitchen.
(b) The lid from a box of chocolates.
(c) A brand new shoe.
(d) The cushion from the armchair.
12. Where does Jo get her flower bulbs?
(a) They are gifts from her father.
(b) She gets them at the flower shops, for two cents apiece.
(c) She gets them from her neighbor's garden.
(d) She gets them in the park, when the gardener isn't looking.
13. What specific kind of dark scares Jo?
(a) The darkness of caves.
(b) The darkness outside.
(c) The darkness inside houses.
(d) The darkness in schools.
14. What is Peter's last name?
15. Where do Jo and her boyfriend agree to meet the next day?
(a) They agree to meet at the pier by his ship.
(b) They agree to meet in front of Jo's apartment.
(c) They agree to meet at the ladies hairdressing place.
(d) They agree to meet in the park.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Jo's boyfriend been carrying for her?
2. What is Jo's relationship to Helen?
3. What does Jo admit is her favorite season of the year?
4. What are Peter and Helen celebrating?
5. What is Jo sorting through before Helen and Peter leave?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)