|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jo's boyfriend's plan for the evening when they part?
(a) He is going back to the ship because he is on duty.
(b) He is going to a museum.
(c) He is going to a library.
(d) He is going drinking with the boys.
2. Why does Helen not go to the picture show anymore?
(a) She thinks they have become more like the theatre and its difficult to hear.
(b) She loves the theatre and that takes up all her spare time.
(c) She is getting older and needs glasses to see the screen.
(d) She dislikes crowds and avoids them if at all possible.
3. What has Jo's boyfriend been carrying for her?
(a) He has been carrying her books.
(b) He has been carrying her dog.
(c) He has been carrying her shoes.
(d) He has been carrying her bike.
4. What does Helen tell Peter she is giving up?
(a) She is giving up sex and men.
(b) She is giving up coffee.
(c) She is giving up eating sweets.
(d) She is giving up smoking cigarettes.
5. What instrument does Jo's boyfriend joke that his father played?
(a) The triangle.
(b) The piano.
(c) The saxophone.
(d) The tom-tom.
6. What sound do Jo and Helen hear from the river?
(a) They hear a submarine resurfacing.
(b) They hear a tugboat.
(c) They hear the cannons of a battleship.
(d) They hear the song of a whale.
7. What does Jo admit is her favorite season of the year?
8. What does Jo's boyfriend put in her milk?
(a) A tooth.
(b) The ring.
(c) A pill.
(d) A drop of liquor.
9. How old is Jo's boyfriend?
(a) He is twenty-seven.
(b) He is twenty-two.
(c) He is thirty.
(d) He is eighteen.
10. Where does Jo get her flower bulbs?
(a) She gets them from her neighbor's garden.
(b) She gets them in the park, when the gardener isn't looking.
(c) She gets them at the flower shops, for two cents apiece.
(d) They are gifts from her father.
11. Where do Jo and her boyfriend agree to meet the next day?
(a) They agree to meet in front of Jo's apartment.
(b) They agree to meet at the pier by his ship.
(c) They agree to meet in the park.
(d) They agree to meet at the ladies hairdressing place.
12. Why does Helen love the dark?
(a) She has sensitive eyes, and bright lights hurt her.
(b) She is a thief, and everything is best stolen in the dark.
(c) She thinks everything is best seen in the dark---including her.
(d) She has very fair skin and sunburns easily.
13. Does the apartment have a bathroom?
(a) Yes, but the bathroom is communal and down the hall.
(b) No, the tenants have to use the resturant next door.
(c) No, the outhouse is outside.
(d) Yes, but the bathroom has no door in the apartment.
14. What is coming through the roof in the apartment?
(a) The floor from the apartment above; there is a hole.
(b) Water; the roof is leaking.
(c) A tree branch; there was a recent storm.
(d) Electrical wiring; the apartment has yet to be renovated.
15. When Peter leaves, what does Jo admit she is afraid of?
(a) Jo is afraid of strangers.
(b) Jo is afraid of heights.
(c) Jo is afraid of the dark.
(d) Jo is afraid of spiders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jo threaten to put Helen if she marries again?
2. What is Jo sorting through before Helen and Peter leave?
3. Just before he leaves, what does Peter whisper to Helen (according to the stage directions)?
4. What does Helen reveal about Jo's father?
5. How does Helen feel when she discovers Jo's ring?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)