|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jo hope to be before she turns forty?
(a) She hopes to be living in France.
(b) She hopes to be married with lots of children.
(c) She hopes to be dead and buried.
(d) She hopes to be rich and famous.
2. What does Jo throw at Peter?
(a) A brand new shoe.
(b) The lid from a box of chocolates.
(c) The cushion from the armchair.
(d) A pot from the kitchen.
3. When trying to purchase the item, what did Jo's boyfriend forget about her physique?
(a) He forgot what kind of hands she has.
(b) He forgot how tall she was.
(c) He forgot what color her she has.
(d) He forgot how big her feet were.
4. When Helen sits in the chair, what does she think it needs?
(a) She thinks the legs need to be repaired.
(b) She thinks it needs to be reupholstered.
(c) She thinks it needs new springs.
(d) She thinks it needs a cushion.
5. What did Jo's boyfriend do before he was in the service?
(a) He was a butcher.
(b) He was a veterinarian.
(c) He was a male nurse.
(d) He was a handyman.
6. Where have Jo and her boyfriend gone to be alone?
(a) His ship, behind the prow.
(b) The schoolhouse, after everyone has gone.
(c) The deserted football pitch.
(d) The old hospital.
7. What is Peter carrying when he enters the flat?
(a) He is carrying his jacket and an umbrella.
(b) He is carrying chocolates and flowers.
(c) He is carrying a suitcase.
(d) He is carrying a dog in from outside.
8. How is the apartment lit?
(a) The apartment is lit by sunlight or moonlight only.
(b) The apartment has an antique lamp the is covered in the rent.
(c) The apartment is lit by the stove.
(d) The apartment is lit by a bare bulb hanging from the ceiling.
9. What kind of cigar is Peter smoking?
(a) A Havana cigar.
(b) An American Spirit cigar.
(c) An Australian cigar.
(d) A Spanish cigar.
10. How old is Jo's boyfriend?
(a) He is twenty-two.
(b) He is eighteen.
(c) He is twenty-seven.
(d) He is thirty.
11. What does Jo notice about Peter's brother's wife in her wedding photo?
(a) The woman is wearing dark glasses.
(b) The woman's dress was not wearing a traditional wedding dress.
(c) The woman was pregnant at her wedding.
(d) The woman looks remarkably like Helen.
12. How does Helen describe the wallpaper?
13. What is Jo's relationship to Helen?
(a) Jo is Helen's daughter.
(b) Jo is Helen's sister.
(c) Jo is Helen's mother.
(d) Jo is Helen's aunt.
14. Where were Jo's boyfriend's ancestors from?
(b) The Caribbean.
15. What excites her boyfriend the most about their relationship?
(a) He likes that Jo is an excellent dancer.
(b) He likes that Jo does not care about his color.
(c) He likes that Jo is quitting school.
(d) He likes that Jo speaks another language.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Helen chosen this apartment?
2. Why does Jo attack Peter?
3. How does Helen explain Jo's behavior to Peter?
4. What does Helen try to give Jo when Jo complains of being cold?
5. What has Jo decided to do after Christmas?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)