|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jo wear his ring?
(a) Jo keeps the ring in her pocket, stiched into the seams
(b) Jo wears the ring proudly on her finger.
(c) Jo hides the ring in a safe place to wait for his return.
(d) Jo puts the ring on a piece of string around her neck.
2. Just before he leaves, what does Peter whisper to Helen (according to the stage directions)?
(a) Peter whispers an invitation to his house.
(b) Peter whispers a threat on Jo's life.
(c) Peter whispers a dirty joke to Helen.
(d) Peter whispers words of love.
3. Does the apartment have a bathroom?
(a) Yes, but the bathroom is communal and down the hall.
(b) No, the tenants have to use the resturant next door.
(c) No, the outhouse is outside.
(d) Yes, but the bathroom has no door in the apartment.
4. What does Jo's boyfriend do with the item she finds in his pocket?
(a) He leaves it on the street.
(b) He gives it to her.
(c) He takes it back and puts it in his pocket.
(d) He throws it into the river.
5. What is Peter's last name?
6. What was Helen's first job?
(a) She worked for telemarketers.
(b) She worked at a small pub.
(c) She worked as an administrative assistant.
(d) She worked as an undertaker.
7. What is Helen's parenting strategy with Jo?
(a) Helen tries to be best friends with Jo and is involved in her life decisions.
(b) Helen lets Jo ruin her life however she wants.
(c) Helen leaves Jo's care to a nanny.
(d) Helen is extremely strict and Jo is very sheltered.
8. How old is Jo's boyfriend?
(a) He is twenty-seven.
(b) He is eighteen.
(c) He is twenty-two.
(d) He is thirty.
9. Who did Jo think was was in love with, as she confesses to Heaven?
(a) She thought she was in love with a rock star.
(b) She thought she was in love with a boy in a book.
(c) She thought she was in love with the boy around the corner.
(d) She thought she was in love with one of Helen's fancy men.
10. What does Jo admit is her favorite season of the year?
11. Why does Helen keep using a handkerchief?
(a) She is crying.
(b) She puts it over her eyes as she tries to sleep.
(c) She is bleeding.
(d) Her nose is running.
12. What instrument does Jo's boyfriend joke that his father played?
(a) The triangle.
(b) The saxophone.
(c) The tom-tom.
(d) The piano.
13. What type of music do the first stage directions say should be playing?
(a) Rock music.
(b) Blues music.
(c) Jazz music.
(d) Rap music.
14. Where does Jo get her flower bulbs?
(a) She gets them from her neighbor's garden.
(b) They are gifts from her father.
(c) She gets them in the park, when the gardener isn't looking.
(d) She gets them at the flower shops, for two cents apiece.
15. Why have Helen and Jo moved again?
(a) Helen found a better apartment in a nicer neighborhood.
(b) Jo is running away from a man.
(c) Jo insisted upon getting her own room, so they moved.
(d) Helen is running away from a man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jo hope to be before she turns forty?
2. Where does Jo threaten to put Helen if she marries again?
3. What item(s) does Jo have that needs to be left in a cool, dark place?
4. What does Jo tell Helen she has dreamed?
5. Why does her boyfriend like that it gets dark early?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)