|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jo think Helen will react to the engagement?
(a) Jo thinks Helen will laugh.
(b) Jo thinks Helen will throughly disapprove.
(c) Jo thinks Helen will be very excited.
(d) Jo thinks Helen will throw a fit.
2. What does Helen reveal about Jo's father?
(a) She reveals that Peter actually is Jo's biological father.
(b) She reveals that Jo's father is the crown Prince of England.
(c) She reveals that Jo's father is living right down the block.
(d) She reveals that Jo's father was mentally challenged.
3. What does Jo's boyfriend give her?
(a) He gives her a puppy.
(b) He gives her a beautiful dress.
(c) He gives her an engagement ring.
(d) He gives her a ticket to leave on his boat.
4. When do they plan to get married?
(a) They plan to marry in five years, and have a dream wedding.
(b) They plan to marry the next day.
(c) They plan to marry in one year.
(d) They plan to marry during his next leave, in six months.
5. When trying to purchase the item, what did Jo's boyfriend forget about her physique?
(a) He forgot how big her feet were.
(b) He forgot how tall she was.
(c) He forgot what kind of hands she has.
(d) He forgot what color her she has.
6. Why does Jo attack Peter?
(a) She wants him to leave she and Helen alone because he is not her father.
(b) She wants him to return the dress because she hates the color.
(c) She wants him to go back to the bar and wait for she and Helen to be ready.
(d) She wants him to make her dinner because she is starving.
7. Where does Jo hope to be before she turns forty?
(a) She hopes to be dead and buried.
(b) She hopes to be married with lots of children.
(c) She hopes to be living in France.
(d) She hopes to be rich and famous.
8. What excites her boyfriend the most about their relationship?
(a) He likes that Jo speaks another language.
(b) He likes that Jo is an excellent dancer.
(c) He likes that Jo is quitting school.
(d) He likes that Jo does not care about his color.
9. What factory is across the street from the flat?
(a) A slaughterhouse.
(b) A bread factory.
(c) A peanut processing factory.
(d) A Whirlpool plant.
10. What is the barbaric cult the boy feels he is suddenly trapped in?
(b) The barroom.
(c) The Skins.
(d) The Navy.
11. Where have Jo and her boyfriend gone to be alone?
(a) The schoolhouse, after everyone has gone.
(b) The deserted football pitch.
(c) The old hospital.
(d) His ship, behind the prow.
12. How does Jo wear his ring?
(a) Jo wears the ring proudly on her finger.
(b) Jo puts the ring on a piece of string around her neck.
(c) Jo keeps the ring in her pocket, stiched into the seams
(d) Jo hides the ring in a safe place to wait for his return.
13. What instrument does Jo's boyfriend joke that his father played?
(a) The tom-tom.
(b) The saxophone.
(c) The triangle.
(d) The piano.
14. How much older is Helen than Peter?
(a) She is fifteen years older.
(b) She is ten years older.
(c) She is five years older.
(d) She is three years older.
15. Why does Helen love the dark?
(a) She is a thief, and everything is best stolen in the dark.
(b) She has sensitive eyes, and bright lights hurt her.
(c) She thinks everything is best seen in the dark---including her.
(d) She has very fair skin and sunburns easily.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Helen chosen this apartment?
2. Where does Jo plan to work after Christmas?
3. How is the apartment lit?
4. Where does Jo get her flower bulbs?
5. What is Peter's last name?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)