|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Since the move, what is the difference in travel time for Jo's trip to school?
(a) Jo is much farther away from the school, so it will take longer.
(b) Jo is much closer to school, she she will get there more quickly.
(c) Jo is about the same distance from the school as before.
(d) Jo quit school before the move.
2. What is Jo's boyfriend's plan for the evening when they part?
(a) He is going to a library.
(b) He is going back to the ship because he is on duty.
(c) He is going drinking with the boys.
(d) He is going to a museum.
3. Where do Jo and her boyfriend agree to meet the next day?
(a) They agree to meet at the ladies hairdressing place.
(b) They agree to meet at the pier by his ship.
(c) They agree to meet in front of Jo's apartment.
(d) They agree to meet in the park.
4. Where does Jo get her flower bulbs?
(a) She gets them in the park, when the gardener isn't looking.
(b) They are gifts from her father.
(c) She gets them from her neighbor's garden.
(d) She gets them at the flower shops, for two cents apiece.
5. What factory is across the street from the flat?
(a) A Whirlpool plant.
(b) A peanut processing factory.
(c) A bread factory.
(d) A slaughterhouse.
6. How does Jo make Helen's coffee?
(a) Jo makes Helen's coffee with sugar, because she knows Helen hates sugar.
(b) Jo makes Helen's coffee very strong, because she knows Helen likes it weak.
(c) Jo makes Helen's coffee with cream, because she knows Helen takes her coffee with cream.
(d) Jo makes the coffee very weak, because she knows Helen likes it strong.
7. Where have Jo and her boyfriend gone to be alone?
(a) The schoolhouse, after everyone has gone.
(b) His ship, behind the prow.
(c) The deserted football pitch.
(d) The old hospital.
8. How does Helen explain Jo's behavior to Peter?
(a) Helen claims Jo is jealous of her affections.
(b) Helen claims Jo hates all men.
(c) Helen claims Jo is mentally slow.
(d) Helen claims Jo is deaf.
9. What does Jo notice about Peter's brother's wife in her wedding photo?
(a) The woman looks remarkably like Helen.
(b) The woman's dress was not wearing a traditional wedding dress.
(c) The woman was pregnant at her wedding.
(d) The woman is wearing dark glasses.
10. When do they plan to get married?
(a) They plan to marry in five years, and have a dream wedding.
(b) They plan to marry in one year.
(c) They plan to marry during his next leave, in six months.
(d) They plan to marry the next day.
11. Why does her boyfriend like that it gets dark early?
(a) His eyes are extremely sensitive.
(b) He only travels at nighttime.
(c) He can kiss her earlier, since no one can see.
(d) He has a rare allergy to light.
12. How is the apartment lit?
(a) The apartment is lit by the stove.
(b) The apartment is lit by a bare bulb hanging from the ceiling.
(c) The apartment is lit by sunlight or moonlight only.
(d) The apartment has an antique lamp the is covered in the rent.
13. What does Jo throw at Peter?
(a) The cushion from the armchair.
(b) The lid from a box of chocolates.
(c) A pot from the kitchen.
(d) A brand new shoe.
14. What important question does Jo's boyfriend ask her?
(a) He asks her is she knows the identity of her father.
(b) He asks her what time to meet later.
(c) He asks her what candy she like the best.
(d) He asks her to marry him.
15. Why have Helen and Jo moved again?
(a) Jo is running away from a man.
(b) Helen is running away from a man.
(c) Jo insisted upon getting her own room, so they moved.
(d) Helen found a better apartment in a nicer neighborhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Helen feel when she discovers Jo's ring?
2. Where does Jo threaten to put Helen if she marries again?
3. What instrument does Jo's boyfriend joke that his father played?
4. What does Helen begin to drink when she enters the flat?
5. What does Helen try to give Jo when Jo complains of being cold?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)