|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helen try to give Jo when Jo complains of being cold?
(a) Helen tries to give Jo whiskey.
(b) Helen tries to give Jo a slap.
(c) Helen tries to give Jo a blanket.
(d) Helen tries to give Jo a hug.
2. What are the two Ws that Helen sees in Jo's future?
(a) Walk or wait.
(b) Woo or waste.
(c) Whip or waive.
(d) Work or want.
3. What instrument does Jo's boyfriend joke that his father played?
(a) The piano.
(b) The triangle.
(c) The saxophone.
(d) The tom-tom.
4. In which branch of the armed forces did Peter serve?
(a) The army.
(b) The airforce.
(c) The marines.
(d) The navy.
5. Why does Helen keep using a handkerchief?
(a) Her nose is running.
(b) She puts it over her eyes as she tries to sleep.
(c) She is bleeding.
(d) She is crying.
6. Where does Helen offer to send Jo?
(a) She offers to send her on a world tour.
(b) She offers to send her to art school.
(c) She offers to get her an apartment of her own.
(d) She offers to send her on a cruise.
7. When do they plan to get married?
(a) They plan to marry during his next leave, in six months.
(b) They plan to marry in one year.
(c) They plan to marry in five years, and have a dream wedding.
(d) They plan to marry the next day.
8. When Helen sits in the chair, what does she think it needs?
(a) She thinks it needs to be reupholstered.
(b) She thinks the legs need to be repaired.
(c) She thinks it needs new springs.
(d) She thinks it needs a cushion.
9. What does Jo tell Helen she has dreamed?
(a) Jo dreams that policemen found Helen dead under a rosebush.
(b) Jo dreams she was flying, but fell to the ground.
(c) Jo dreams that she has failed all her classes.
(d) Jo dreams that she found her true love.
10. How does Jo think Helen will react to the engagement?
(a) Jo thinks Helen will throw a fit.
(b) Jo thinks Helen will be very excited.
(c) Jo thinks Helen will laugh.
(d) Jo thinks Helen will throughly disapprove.
11. What, because of the time period of the play, is the significant difference between Jo and her boyfriend?
(a) Jo is a young girl, and her boyfriend is an old man.
(b) Jo is English, and her boyfriend is American.
(c) Jo is very tall, and her boyfriend is very short.
(d) Jo is Caucasian and her boyfriend is African.
12. What are Jo and Helen carrying into the flat?
(a) They are carrying bags.
(b) They are carrying babies.
(c) They are carrying carpet.
(d) They are carrying bookshelves.
13. Why does Jo attack Peter?
(a) She wants him to return the dress because she hates the color.
(b) She wants him to leave she and Helen alone because he is not her father.
(c) She wants him to go back to the bar and wait for she and Helen to be ready.
(d) She wants him to make her dinner because she is starving.
14. What does Helen tell Peter she is giving up?
(a) She is giving up coffee.
(b) She is giving up eating sweets.
(c) She is giving up smoking cigarettes.
(d) She is giving up sex and men.
15. How old does Jo's boyfriend think that women are born?
(a) Five years old.
(b) Seventy years old.
(c) Three thousand years old.
(d) Brand new, just like everyone else.
Short Answer Questions
1. Just before he leaves, what does Peter whisper to Helen (according to the stage directions)?
2. Why did Helen's first husband divorce her?
3. What was Helen's first job?
4. How does Helen feel when she discovers Jo's ring?
5. How old is Jo's boyfriend?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)