|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Helen chosen this apartment?
(a) The rent is low enough for her to pay.
(b) The neighborhood is much nicer than their old neighborhood.
(c) The two rooms allow Jo to have her own apartment.
(d) The appliances are new.
2. What does Jo tell Helen she has dreamed?
(a) Jo dreams that she has failed all her classes.
(b) Jo dreams that she found her true love.
(c) Jo dreams that policemen found Helen dead under a rosebush.
(d) Jo dreams she was flying, but fell to the ground.
3. When Helen sits in the chair, what does she think it needs?
(a) She thinks the legs need to be repaired.
(b) She thinks it needs a cushion.
(c) She thinks it needs to be reupholstered.
(d) She thinks it needs new springs.
4. What is the climate like in the new apartment according to Helen?
(a) The apartment is swelteringly hot.
(b) The apartment is terribly muggy, like a steamhouse.
(c) The apartment is stuffy.
(d) The apartment is cold and drafty, a shelter to the four winds.
5. What are Peter and Helen celebrating?
(a) Peter found them a house.
(b) Jo is graduating from high school.
(c) Helen is pregnant.
(d) Peter got a new job.
6. Where do Jo and her boyfriend agree to meet the next day?
(a) They agree to meet in the park.
(b) They agree to meet in front of Jo's apartment.
(c) They agree to meet at the ladies hairdressing place.
(d) They agree to meet at the pier by his ship.
7. What does Jo's boyfriend tell her to save?
(a) He tells her to save bottle caps because he is doing a fundraiser.
(b) He tells her to save her love until her returns.
(c) He tells her to save her money so they can get married.
(d) He tells her to save jars so they will have plenty of containers for their homemade jelly.
8. What has Jo's boyfriend been carrying for her?
(a) He has been carrying her dog.
(b) He has been carrying her bike.
(c) He has been carrying her books.
(d) He has been carrying her shoes.
9. Where does Jo plan to work after Christmas?
(a) She wants to do social work.
(b) She wants to work in a pub.
(c) She wants to work in a resturant.
(d) She wants to work in the factory.
10. What does Helen tell Peter she is giving up?
(a) She is giving up coffee.
(b) She is giving up eating sweets.
(c) She is giving up sex and men.
(d) She is giving up smoking cigarettes.
11. What does Jo find in Peter's wallet?
(a) She finds a note addressed to Helen.
(b) She finds his business cards.
(c) She finds one hundred dollars.
(d) She finds pictures of lots of other women.
12. What does Helen need for her head?
(a) She needs a scarf, because she hasn't has a haircut.
(b) She needs aspirin, or some sort of headache medicine.
(c) She needs a hat to match her outfit.
(d) She needs a therapist to help sort out her thoughts.
13. Where does Helen offer to send Jo?
(a) She offers to get her an apartment of her own.
(b) She offers to send her to art school.
(c) She offers to send her on a world tour.
(d) She offers to send her on a cruise.
14. What does Peter have in his mouth?
(a) A sandwich.
(b) A toothpick.
(c) A cigar.
(d) A cheroot.
15. What excites her boyfriend the most about their relationship?
(a) He likes that Jo does not care about his color.
(b) He likes that Jo speaks another language.
(c) He likes that Jo is an excellent dancer.
(d) He likes that Jo is quitting school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jo notice about Peter's brother's wife in her wedding photo?
2. What artistic item does Helen discover of Jo's?
3. In which branch of the armed forces did Peter serve?
4. What are Jo and Helen carrying into the flat?
5. What has Jo decided to do after Christmas?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)