|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What specific kind of dark scares Jo?
(a) The darkness in schools.
(b) The darkness of caves.
(c) The darkness inside houses.
(d) The darkness outside.
2. How does Helen feel when she discovers Jo's ring?
(a) She is angry and disappointed.
(b) She is excited and wants to have a double wedding.
(c) She is very jealous and locks Jo in her room.
(d) She is sad and bursts into tears.
3. What excuse does Jo give when it is time for her to go?
(a) Her mother is waiting.
(b) She is tired.
(c) Her curfew is up.
(d) She is hungry.
4. What is Helen's parenting strategy with Jo?
(a) Helen lets Jo ruin her life however she wants.
(b) Helen is extremely strict and Jo is very sheltered.
(c) Helen tries to be best friends with Jo and is involved in her life decisions.
(d) Helen leaves Jo's care to a nanny.
5. What has Jo's boyfriend been carrying for her?
(a) He has been carrying her shoes.
(b) He has been carrying her bike.
(c) He has been carrying her books.
(d) He has been carrying her dog.
6. How does Jo think Helen will react to the engagement?
(a) Jo thinks Helen will laugh.
(b) Jo thinks Helen will be very excited.
(c) Jo thinks Helen will throughly disapprove.
(d) Jo thinks Helen will throw a fit.
7. What is Peter's profession?
(a) Peter is a lawyer.
(b) Peter is a car salesman.
(c) Peter is a teacher.
(d) Peter is a cobbler.
8. Where were Jo's boyfriend's ancestors from?
(a) The Caribbean.
9. What is Peter's last name?
10. To what does Helen compare their bed?
(a) She compares it to a coffin.
(b) She compares it to a slaughterhouse.
(c) She compares it to a cloud.
(d) She compares it to a grassy knoll.
11. What are Peter and Helen celebrating?
(a) Jo is graduating from high school.
(b) Peter found them a house.
(c) Helen is pregnant.
(d) Peter got a new job.
12. What does Jo notice about Peter's brother's wife in her wedding photo?
(a) The woman looks remarkably like Helen.
(b) The woman is wearing dark glasses.
(c) The woman was pregnant at her wedding.
(d) The woman's dress was not wearing a traditional wedding dress.
13. Why have Helen and Jo moved again?
(a) Jo insisted upon getting her own room, so they moved.
(b) Helen found a better apartment in a nicer neighborhood.
(c) Jo is running away from a man.
(d) Helen is running away from a man.
14. What does Helen begin to drink when she enters the flat?
(a) She drinks gin.
(b) She drinks whiskey.
(c) She drinks soda.
(d) She drinks orange juice.
15. What artistic item does Helen discover of Jo's?
(a) She discovers Jo's paintings.
(b) She discovers Jo's knitting.
(c) She discovers Jo's novel.
(d) She discovers Jo's drawings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Helen explain Jo's behavior to Peter?
2. What does Peter have in his mouth?
3. What are Jo and Helen carrying into the flat?
4. When Helen sits in the chair, what does she think it needs?
5. When Peter leaves, what does Jo admit she is afraid of?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)