|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jo think Helen will react to the engagement?
(a) Jo thinks Helen will be very excited.
(b) Jo thinks Helen will laugh.
(c) Jo thinks Helen will throw a fit.
(d) Jo thinks Helen will throughly disapprove.
2. About how many people live in their district in the city, according to Jo?
(a) About fifty thousand people.
(b) About ten people.
(c) About one million people.
(d) About twenty people.
3. What is the barbaric cult the boy feels he is suddenly trapped in?
(a) The Navy.
(b) The Skins.
(d) The barroom.
4. How does Jo burn herself?
(a) She burns herself by trying to cover the bare light bulb with her scarf.
(b) She burns herself trying to make tea.
(c) She burns herself with her curling iron.
(d) She burns herself by trying to light the fire.
5. What is one of the items Jo finds in her boyfriend's pocket?
(a) She finds a gun.
(b) She finds a toy car.
(c) She finds a stick of chewing gum.
(d) She finds a receipt for $1,000.
6. What does Helen tell Peter she is giving up?
(a) She is giving up smoking cigarettes.
(b) She is giving up sex and men.
(c) She is giving up eating sweets.
(d) She is giving up coffee.
7. How does Jo wear his ring?
(a) Jo keeps the ring in her pocket, stiched into the seams
(b) Jo hides the ring in a safe place to wait for his return.
(c) Jo wears the ring proudly on her finger.
(d) Jo puts the ring on a piece of string around her neck.
8. What has Peter brought specifically for Jo?
(a) A box of chocolates.
(b) A puppy.
(c) A new dress, made just for her.
(d) A pair of new shoes.
9. Where does Jo plan to work after Christmas?
(a) She wants to work in the factory.
(b) She wants to work in a pub.
(c) She wants to do social work.
(d) She wants to work in a resturant.
10. Just before he leaves, what does Peter whisper to Helen (according to the stage directions)?
(a) Peter whispers a dirty joke to Helen.
(b) Peter whispers an invitation to his house.
(c) Peter whispers words of love.
(d) Peter whispers a threat on Jo's life.
11. Why did Helen's first husband divorce her?
(a) He divorced her because they could not agree on where to live.
(b) He divorced her because she got pregnant with Jo by another man.
(c) He divorced her because he did not want to be a father and was not ready for the responsibility.
(d) He divorced her because she stole all of his money.
12. What is Helen's age compared to Peter's age?
(a) Helen is old enough to be Peter's mother.
(b) Peter is exactly three months older.
(c) Helen and Peter are the same age.
(d) Peter is old enough to be Helen's father.
13. What are Jo and Helen carrying into the flat?
(a) They are carrying babies.
(b) They are carrying carpet.
(c) They are carrying bookshelves.
(d) They are carrying bags.
14. What is Peter's profession?
(a) Peter is a cobbler.
(b) Peter is a teacher.
(c) Peter is a car salesman.
(d) Peter is a lawyer.
15. When Helen sits in the chair, what does she think it needs?
(a) She thinks it needs to be reupholstered.
(b) She thinks it needs new springs.
(c) She thinks the legs need to be repaired.
(d) She thinks it needs a cushion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two Ws that Helen sees in Jo's future?
2. What does Jo find in Peter's wallet?
3. To which Shakespeare play does Jo's boyfriend compare?
4. Why have Helen and Jo moved again?
5. What is Peter carrying when he enters the flat?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)