|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Just before he leaves, what does Peter whisper to Helen (according to the stage directions)?
(a) Peter whispers a threat on Jo's life.
(b) Peter whispers a dirty joke to Helen.
(c) Peter whispers words of love.
(d) Peter whispers an invitation to his house.
2. What has Jo decided to do after Christmas?
(a) She has decided to get a pet.
(b) She has decided to quit school
(c) She has decided to go to college.
(d) She has decided to get married.
3. What excites her boyfriend the most about their relationship?
(a) He likes that Jo is quitting school.
(b) He likes that Jo speaks another language.
(c) He likes that Jo does not care about his color.
(d) He likes that Jo is an excellent dancer.
4. What does Helen begin to drink when she enters the flat?
(a) She drinks whiskey.
(b) She drinks gin.
(c) She drinks orange juice.
(d) She drinks soda.
5. What does Jo find in Peter's wallet?
(a) She finds his business cards.
(b) She finds one hundred dollars.
(c) She finds pictures of lots of other women.
(d) She finds a note addressed to Helen.
6. What are the two Ws that Helen sees in Jo's future?
(a) Work or want.
(b) Walk or wait.
(c) Woo or waste.
(d) Whip or waive.
7. What is the barbaric cult the boy feels he is suddenly trapped in?
(b) The barroom.
(c) The Navy.
(d) The Skins.
8. What does Helen try to give Jo when Jo complains of being cold?
(a) Helen tries to give Jo a blanket.
(b) Helen tries to give Jo a hug.
(c) Helen tries to give Jo a slap.
(d) Helen tries to give Jo whiskey.
9. What artistic item does Helen discover of Jo's?
(a) She discovers Jo's paintings.
(b) She discovers Jo's knitting.
(c) She discovers Jo's novel.
(d) She discovers Jo's drawings.
10. Where does Jo threaten to put Helen if she marries again?
(a) A church.
(b) The police station.
(d) An institution.
11. What is Helen's parenting strategy with Jo?
(a) Helen leaves Jo's care to a nanny.
(b) Helen is extremely strict and Jo is very sheltered.
(c) Helen lets Jo ruin her life however she wants.
(d) Helen tries to be best friends with Jo and is involved in her life decisions.
12. Since the move, what is the difference in travel time for Jo's trip to school?
(a) Jo is much closer to school, she she will get there more quickly.
(b) Jo is about the same distance from the school as before.
(c) Jo is much farther away from the school, so it will take longer.
(d) Jo quit school before the move.
13. What is the title of one of the movies Helen sees in the paper?
(a) Ben Hur.
(b) The Big Sleep.
(c) Gone with the Wind.
(d) The Ten Commandments.
14. How does Jo burn herself?
(a) She burns herself by trying to cover the bare light bulb with her scarf.
(b) She burns herself trying to make tea.
(c) She burns herself by trying to light the fire.
(d) She burns herself with her curling iron.
15. To which Shakespeare play does Jo's boyfriend compare?
(a) Antony and Cleopatra.
(d) Romeo and Juliet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Regarding her drawings, Jo claims she is not only talented, but:
2. How is Jo's boyfriend described in the stage directions?
3. Why does Helen not go to the picture show anymore?
4. Where does Jo hope to be before she turns forty?
5. What does Jo notice about Peter's brother's wife in her wedding photo?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)