|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Jo think was was in love with, as she confesses to Heaven?
(a) She thought she was in love with one of Helen's fancy men.
(b) She thought she was in love with a rock star.
(c) She thought she was in love with the boy around the corner.
(d) She thought she was in love with a boy in a book.
2. Since the move, what is the difference in travel time for Jo's trip to school?
(a) Jo is much farther away from the school, so it will take longer.
(b) Jo is about the same distance from the school as before.
(c) Jo quit school before the move.
(d) Jo is much closer to school, she she will get there more quickly.
3. What is Jo's relationship to Helen?
(a) Jo is Helen's mother.
(b) Jo is Helen's daughter.
(c) Jo is Helen's sister.
(d) Jo is Helen's aunt.
4. What does Jo's boyfriend tell her to save?
(a) He tells her to save her love until her returns.
(b) He tells her to save bottle caps because he is doing a fundraiser.
(c) He tells her to save her money so they can get married.
(d) He tells her to save jars so they will have plenty of containers for their homemade jelly.
5. Does the apartment have a bathroom?
(a) No, the outhouse is outside.
(b) Yes, but the bathroom is communal and down the hall.
(c) Yes, but the bathroom has no door in the apartment.
(d) No, the tenants have to use the resturant next door.
6. What is the barbaric cult the boy feels he is suddenly trapped in?
(a) The Skins.
(b) The barroom.
(c) The Navy.
7. What does Jo's boyfriend put in her milk?
(a) A drop of liquor.
(b) The ring.
(c) A tooth.
(d) A pill.
8. Regarding her drawings, Jo claims she is not only talented, but:
9. What part of England is the apartment in?
10. What are Jo and Helen carrying into the flat?
(a) They are carrying bags.
(b) They are carrying bookshelves.
(c) They are carrying babies.
(d) They are carrying carpet.
11. What does Jo's boyfriend give her?
(a) He gives her a ticket to leave on his boat.
(b) He gives her an engagement ring.
(c) He gives her a beautiful dress.
(d) He gives her a puppy.
12. How does Jo burn herself?
(a) She burns herself by trying to light the fire.
(b) She burns herself with her curling iron.
(c) She burns herself trying to make tea.
(d) She burns herself by trying to cover the bare light bulb with her scarf.
13. What does Helen try to give Jo when Jo complains of being cold?
(a) Helen tries to give Jo a hug.
(b) Helen tries to give Jo a slap.
(c) Helen tries to give Jo whiskey.
(d) Helen tries to give Jo a blanket.
14. How much older is Helen than Peter?
(a) She is three years older.
(b) She is five years older.
(c) She is fifteen years older.
(d) She is ten years older.
15. When Helen sits in the chair, what does she think it needs?
(a) She thinks the legs need to be repaired.
(b) She thinks it needs to be reupholstered.
(c) She thinks it needs new springs.
(d) She thinks it needs a cushion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Helen chosen this apartment?
2. How does Jo think Helen will react to the engagement?
3. What is Peter's profession?
4. What specific kind of dark scares Jo?
5. How is Jo's boyfriend described in the stage directions?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)