|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tarzan give Jane when it is time to sleep?
2. What does Tarzan say when D'Arnot shows him America on the map?
3. What does Tarzan ask D'Arnot about Africa when they are discussing America’s location?
4. Who comes out to greet Tarzan and D'Arnot from the palisade?
5. At the end of Chapter 18, why does Tarzan run into the jungle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tarzan rescue Jane?
2. What is the farmhouse in Wisconsin like and what does Jane tell Clayton when she arrives there?
3. What happens when Canler arrives at the farmhouse?
4. How does it happen that Tarzan ends up leaving Jane to Clayton?
5. How does it happen that Jane does not marry Canler?
6. What does Tarzan feel when he reads his two letters and what does he find out in the letters?
7. What happens when D'Arnot realizes he has shot Tarzan?
8. How does Clayton figure out what happened to his uncle, Lord Greystoke?
9. What does Tarzan do for Jane for the night and what does he find out about his locket?
10. What does Tarzan do immediately after he rescues Jane and why does he change his plan about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character.
Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not? Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Tarzan of the Apes help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Tarzan of the Apes? Why or why not. Use examples from Tarzan of the Apes and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful novel and why Tarzan of the Apes is or is not a successful novel based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes Tarzan of the Apes interesting.
Thoroughly discuss and analyze Tarzan. What are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he usually likable? Seldom likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas. Use the same criteria to thoroughly discuss and analyze Jane and Clayton.
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)