|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tarzan do when the two men come to a palisade?
2. How does the French know to come ashore?
3. Where does Tarzan and D'Arnot visit a police official?
4. What does Tarzan tell D'Arnot when D'Arnot asks him to take a note to the cabin?
5. What does Tarzan leave at the cabin for five days?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane do as Tarzan carries her into the jungle, what does Tarzan think about humans and mating and what does he bring Jane?
2. Where does D'Arnot wake up in Chapter 22 and what does he remember when he wakes?
3. How is D'Arnot rescued from the village?
4. How does it happen that Tarzan ends up leaving Jane to Clayton?
5. What is the farmhouse in Wisconsin like and what does Jane tell Clayton when she arrives there?
6. Why is Mr. Canler talking to the Professor at the beginning of Chapter 27 and how does the conversation end?
7. How do the two old men get out of the tree in Chapter 16 and how does Tarzan get them back to the cabin?
8. Why do Jane and Clayton have a falling out?
9. What does Tarzan do for Jane for the night and what does he find out about his locket?
10. What happens when Canler arrives at the farmhouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Burroughs reiterates the ideas of the "noble savage" -- the possibility of natural goodness, strength, and superiority inherent in mankind even though brought up in violent Nature. Noble savage first appeared in English in the 1600’s in a John Dryden’s play. Why might Tarzan be considered a “noble savage?” Does Burroughs portray him as one? Discuss at least three incidences in Tarzan of the Apes in which Tarzan could be said to be a noble savage. Use examples from the book to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the Tarzan series, and probably one of the bases of its appeal, runs the constant contrast between the "civilized" world of men and the "uncivilized" world of the jungle. Discuss three ways that Burroughs shows are different between the civilized world and the uncivilized world and give your opinion of which world you think is best. For example, family, education, politics, war, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Burroughs creates improbable stories and makes them seem real. One of his great techniques for doing this is the detail of language, social behavior and traditions in an imaginary society. Discuss how each of these techniques makes the ape tribe where Tarzan is raised seem real. Use examples from the book to support your response.
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)