|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clayton do when Tarzan brings Jane to the town?
2. What does D'Arnot find in the cabin for Tarzan?
3. Who comes out to greet Tarzan and D'Arnot from the palisade?
4. What does the five people in the cabin do when they wake up at the beginning of Chapter 17?
5. What does Tarzan say when D'Arnot comments it is too bad Tarzan did not mention the chest before they left?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tarzan meet up with Jane in Wisconsin?
2. What does Jane try to get Captain Dufranne to do and what does he agree to for her?
3. What is the farmhouse in Wisconsin like and what does Jane tell Clayton when she arrives there?
4. How does Tarzan rescue Jane?
5. How does Clayton figure out what happened to his uncle, Lord Greystoke?
6. What does Tarzan do immediately after he rescues Jane and why does he change his plan about her?
7. At the beginning of Chapter 16, where are the Professor and Mr. Philander, what are they doing and why is Tarzan laughing at them?
8. How does Tarzan end up winning a bet with a man in Chapter 26?
9. What does Tarzan feel when he reads his two letters and what does he find out in the letters?
10. What happens when Canler arrives at the farmhouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tarzan is raised among a group of apes who are overwhelmingly superior to him physically. Discuss at least three ways in which Tarzan overcomes his physical limitations in his ape tribe. Use examples from the book to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
When asked why Burroughs wrote the Tarzan series about a “noble savage” he said: Of course the primary motive of a story like Tarzan of the Apes is to entertain, yet in writing this and other stories I have been considerably influenced by the hope that they might carry a beneficial suggestion of the value of physical perfection and morality. Discuss what you think Burroughs means by the above quote. Do you think Tarzan fulfills Burroughs’ vision for Tarzan? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about what they know, and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting.
Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Burroughs's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Burroughs's probable agenda concerning that idea.
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)