|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the French officer who comes to shore ask Clayton?
2. What does Tarzan notice the ship doing when Tarzan sees smoke on the horizon?
3. Where is the group meeting to get away from the fire?
4. What does Tarzan tell Canler is the price for his life?
5. What did Clayton think had happened to the Greystokes before they found the cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Professor suggest to the captain and what is the outcome of that suggestion?
2. What does Tarzan do immediately after he rescues Jane and why does he change his plan about her?
3. How does it happen that Jane does not marry Canler?
4. How is D'Arnot rescued from the village?
5. How do the two old men get out of the tree in Chapter 16 and how does Tarzan get them back to the cabin?
6. What does Tarzan see as he watches the ship from a different vantage point than the cabin?
7. What does Tarzan feel when he reads his two letters and what does he find out in the letters?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 16, where are the Professor and Mr. Philander, what are they doing and why is Tarzan laughing at them?
9. How do D'Arnot and Tarzan start to communicate and what does D'Arnot learn about Tarzan?
10. In Paris, what does D'Arnot do about proving to Tarzan who Tarzan’s parents were?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels.
Compare/contrast the characters of Jane and Kala. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples. Compare/contrast the characters of Clayton and Tarzan. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the Tarzan series, and probably one of the bases of its appeal, runs the constant contrast between the "civilized" world of men and the "uncivilized" world of the jungle. Discuss three ways that Burroughs shows are different between the civilized world and the uncivilized world and give your opinion of which world you think is best. For example, family, education, politics, war, etc.
Essay Topic 3
When asked why Burroughs wrote the Tarzan series about a “noble savage” he said: Of course the primary motive of a story like Tarzan of the Apes is to entertain, yet in writing this and other stories I have been considerably influenced by the hope that they might carry a beneficial suggestion of the value of physical perfection and morality. Discuss what you think Burroughs means by the above quote. Do you think Tarzan fulfills Burroughs’ vision for Tarzan? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your response.
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)