|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tarzan notice the ship doing when Tarzan sees smoke on the horizon?
2. What does a man give Tarzan in Chapter 28?
3. What does Canler tell Jane about why he cannot wait a few days to marry?
4. What does Tarzan give Jane when it is time to sleep?
5. Why does D'Arnot throw himself on the bed in despair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tarzan think as he watches the burial of the Greystokes and what does the Professor say about his treasure after the burial?
2. Why do Tarzan and D'Arnot decide to leave the cabin?
3. How do D'Arnot and Tarzan start to communicate and what does D'Arnot learn about Tarzan?
4. Where does D'Arnot wake up in Chapter 22 and what does he remember when he wakes?
5. How does Tarzan rescue Jane?
6. What happens when D'Arnot realizes he has shot Tarzan?
7. What does Tarzan feel when he reads his two letters and what does he find out in the letters?
8. How does Lieutenant D'Arnot get dragged to the cannibal village?
9. What does Jane do as Tarzan carries her into the jungle, what does Tarzan think about humans and mating and what does he bring Jane?
10. What does Tarzan see as he watches the ship from a different vantage point than the cabin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define plot and include the definitions of the most important elements of a plot. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not? Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Tarzan of the Apes, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Give a brief synopsis of any important sub-plots.
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character.
Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not? Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Tarzan of the Apes help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Tarzan of the Apes? Why or why not. Use examples from Tarzan of the Apes and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Tarzan is raised among a group of apes who are overwhelmingly superior to him physically. Discuss at least three ways in which Tarzan overcomes his physical limitations in his ape tribe. Use examples from the book to support your response.
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)