|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jane realize when Tarzan asks her to marry him?
2. What do Jane and Tarzan hear when they first arrive back at the cabin in Chapter 20?
3. What does the French officer who comes to shore ask Clayton?
4. What does Jane tell Tarzan about where she lives?
5. How does Tarzan get the villagers to run away from the lieutenant?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 22, what does Lieutenant Charpentier decide to do and how does he do it?
2. How does it happen that Jane does not marry Canler?
3. How does it happen that Tarzan ends up leaving Jane to Clayton?
4. Why do Tarzan and D'Arnot decide to leave the cabin?
5. What does Tarzan see when he returns to the cabin at night and what does he do after the five castaways go to sleep?
6. How does Clayton figure out what happened to his uncle, Lord Greystoke?
7. What happens when D'Arnot realizes he has shot Tarzan?
8. What does Tarzan feel when he reads his two letters and what does he find out in the letters?
9. In Paris, what does D'Arnot do about proving to Tarzan who Tarzan’s parents were?
10. What does Jane try to get Captain Dufranne to do and what does he agree to for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define plot and include the definitions of the most important elements of a plot. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not? Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Tarzan of the Apes, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Give a brief synopsis of any important sub-plots.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the protagonists of the story and why you believe they are such? Identify the antagonists of the story and why you believe they are such? Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Which, if any, characters are not essential to the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Burroughs creates improbable stories and makes them seem real. One of his great techniques for doing this is the detail of language, social behavior and traditions in an imaginary society. Discuss how each of these techniques makes the ape tribe where Tarzan is raised seem real. Use examples from the book to support your response.
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)