|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does D'Arnot tell Tarzan they will need if they are going to travel?
2. What does the police official do with Tarzan?
3. What does Jane wonder as she thinks about marrying Tarzan?
4. What do the five people at the cabin do right after the burial?
5. Where does Tarzan take the lieutenant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane try to get Captain Dufranne to do and what does he agree to for her?
2. In Paris, what does D'Arnot do about proving to Tarzan who Tarzan’s parents were?
3. What does Tarzan see as he watches the ship from a different vantage point than the cabin?
4. Where does D'Arnot wake up in Chapter 22 and what does he remember when he wakes?
5. Why do Tarzan and D'Arnot decide to leave the cabin?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 16, where are the Professor and Mr. Philander, what are they doing and why is Tarzan laughing at them?
7. What does the Professor suggest to the captain and what is the outcome of that suggestion?
8. What does D'Arnot find out about Tarzan’s parents and what does Tarzan say about it?
9. How does Clayton figure out what happened to his uncle, Lord Greystoke?
10. What does Tarzan see when he returns to the cabin at night and what does he do after the five castaways go to sleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about what they know, and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting.
Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Burroughs's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Burroughs's probable agenda concerning that idea.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the protagonists of the story and why you believe they are such? Identify the antagonists of the story and why you believe they are such? Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Which, if any, characters are not essential to the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Tarzan of the Apes belongs to the fantasy genre.
Define the literary term "genre" and name three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre. What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a novel? What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel or mystery?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)