|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orgon say to Mariane after she has made her plea to not marry Tartuffe?
2. What does Tartuffe tell Cleante would be "a huge scandal"?
3. What does Cleante ask Tartuffe to help him with at the beginning of Act 4?
4. Who does Elmire talk with when she sends Tartuffe out of the room for a moment in Act 4?
5. What does Elmire get Orgon to agree to do in order to prove Tartuffe is disloyal in Act 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's portrayal of virtue in the play. How and by whom is virtue discussed? What seems to be the author's opinion of virtue?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of social class in the play. What is the author using the play to say in regards to social class? Which characters help the author accomplish these goals and how do they do so?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the nature of trust in the play. Which characters are presented as trustworthy, and which are not? What purpose does the author have in presenting trust in this way?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)