|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence: "If you take my advice, you will seek a truce and not be a party to this boy's ____."
2. What does Orgon tell Mariane "the contract" of her marriage to Tartuffe will make her?
3. Why does Elmire begin coughing during her encounter with Tartuffe in Act 4?
4. How does Tartuffe react when Elmire first begins telling him of her passion for him during their private conversation in Act 4?
5. What does Mariane do towards Orgon just before begging him to not make her marry Tartuffe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the servant characters in the play, namely Dorine and Filipote. How are these two characters portrayed differently? What purpose does the author have for presenting these characters so differently?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of manipulation in the play. Who uses manipulation to their advantage and is most successful? What might the author be saying about the nature of manipulation by showing the family's misuse of it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of temper in the play. Who is able to control their temper and who is not? What might the author be saying in terms of the repercussions of losing ones temper?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)