|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tartuffe tell Elmire most of his prayers have been geared to during their private conversation in Act 3?
2. Who is Tartuffe talking about when he says, "I wholly forgive him of any blame, and long to restore him to his goon name."?
3. What does Dorine tell Tartuffe she believes is "out of fashion" in Act 3?
4. What does Tartuffe do when Orgon confronts him with Damis' claims near the end of Act 3?
5. Where does Elmire make Tartuffe go in the middle of their private conversation in Act 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nature of trust in the play. Which characters are presented as trustworthy, and which are not? What purpose does the author have in presenting trust in this way?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the unlikely control of Dorine in the play. In what ways does she control the other characters in the play? How does her ability to control others differ from Tartuffe's?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of struggle in the character's actions and words in the play. What reasons does he have for presenting the character's actions and words in such contrast with one another?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)