|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orgon say to Mariane after she has made her plea to not marry Tartuffe?
2. What does Cleante ask Tartuffe to help him with at the beginning of Act 4?
3. Finish the sentence: "You all hate him, and now I see how my wife, children, and maid conspire against his ______."
4. Who says, "Your desires are too quick to ignite, and you mustn't let passion be overdone"?
5. Who will Orgon NOT allow to speak after Mariane has tried to talk him out of making her marry Tartuffe in Act 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of temper in the play. Who is able to control their temper and who is not? What might the author be saying in terms of the repercussions of losing ones temper?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of religion in the play. Who offers an honest portrayal of religiousness in the play? What seems to be the author's thoughts on religion?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of Orgon and Mariane's relationship. What might the author be using their relationship to say regarding the time period in which the play was written?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)