|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence: "Satisfy my desire and have no fear; I'll assume the sin and leave your soul ____."
2. What does Tartuffe tell Elmire most of his prayers have been geared to during their private conversation in Act 3?
3. Who does Damis refer to as a "vulgar coxcomb" in Act 3?
4. Who does Orgon call a traitor near the end of Act 3?
5. Who does Orgon say will be his only legal heir at the end of Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of the character Madame Pernelle in the play. What is her purpose? What might she be representative of in terms of society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of trust in the play. Which characters are presented as trustworthy, and which are not? What purpose does the author have in presenting trust in this way?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the unlikely control of Dorine in the play. In what ways does she control the other characters in the play? How does her ability to control others differ from Tartuffe's?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)