|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Damis refer to as a "vulgar coxcomb" in Act 3?
2. What does Elmire threaten to do to Tartuffe near the end of their private conversation in Act 3?
3. What does Tartuffe tell his servant to "lock up" before dismissing him in Act 3?
4. Why does Elmire begin coughing during her encounter with Tartuffe in Act 4?
5. What does Tartuffe do when Orgon confronts him with Damis' claims near the end of Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of Orgon and Mariane's relationship. What might the author be using their relationship to say regarding the time period in which the play was written?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the nature of Tartuffe and Orgon's relationship. How is this relationship formed? What about the nature of the relationship's formation suggests the relationship isn't genuine?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Cleante's role as the voice of reason in the play. In what ways has he shown reasonable and thoughtful actions in the play? What might the author be using Cleante to represent?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)