|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elmire make Tartuffe promise to do near the end of their private conversation in Act 3?
2. What kind of man does Orgon say Tartuffe is after he sees the advances he makes on Elmire?
3. What does Orgon tell Elmire he has given Tartuffe at the end of Act 4?
4. Finish the sentence: "And should we always respond to small slips with fire in our eyes and abuse on our ___."
5. What does Tartuffe do when Orgon confronts him with Damis' claims near the end of Act 3?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nature of trust in the play. Which characters are presented as trustworthy, and which are not? What purpose does the author have in presenting trust in this way?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of temper in the play. Who is able to control their temper and who is not? What might the author be saying in terms of the repercussions of losing ones temper?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of Orgon and Mariane's relationship. What might the author be using their relationship to say regarding the time period in which the play was written?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)