|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "My breast does not hold a heart of stone"?
2. What time does Tartuffe say it is when he leaves Cleante in Act 4?
3. Finish the sentence: "Let's join forces, I beg you, and try through skill or cunning to undo the vicious scheme that's left us all so ______."
4. What type of candy does Tartuffe offer Elmire during their encounter in Act 4?
5. What does Elmire threaten to do to Tartuffe near the end of their private conversation in Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the irony in the family trying to con Tartuffe after he had already successfully conned them. What might the author be saying in terms of dishonesty by having the family's plan backfire?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the nature of Orgon and Mariane's relationship. What might the author be using their relationship to say regarding the time period in which the play was written?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of the character Madame Pernelle in the play. What is her purpose? What might she be representative of in terms of society?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)