|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in the room does Orgon hide during Elmire and Tartuffe's private discussion in Act 4?
2. What does Orgon refer to Dorine, Cleante, Mariane, and Elmire's suggestions that Tartuffe is an imposter in Act 4?
3. What does Cleante ask Tartuffe to help him with at the beginning of Act 4?
4. Who says, "Don't put on that scrupulous air while your actions injure a rightful heir"?
5. What does Elmire get Orgon to agree to do in order to prove Tartuffe is disloyal in Act 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of the character Madame Pernelle in the play. What is her purpose? What might she be representative of in terms of society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the irony in the family trying to con Tartuffe after he had already successfully conned them. What might the author be saying in terms of dishonesty by having the family's plan backfire?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of loyalty in the play. Who is genuinely loyal? Who, and in what manner, do some characters feign loyalty? What significance is present by including both loyal and disloyal characters?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)