|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence: May Heaven forever in its great bounty grant you good health both in soul and _______."
2. Who says, "Your desires are too quick to ignite, and you mustn't let passion be overdone"?
3. What does Orgon tell Elmire he has given Tartuffe at the end of Act 4?
4. What does Tartuffe claim Orgon's family doubts about him near the end of Act 3?
5. Whose arm does Orgon threaten to break near the end of Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism in the king's intervention and subsequent absolution for Orgon at the end of the play. What message might the author be trying to get across with the use of this character?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Tartuffe in the play. What seems to be his true intentions? What seems to motivate his actions? How does he go about getting what he wants?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Cleante's role as the voice of reason in the play. In what ways has he shown reasonable and thoughtful actions in the play? What might the author be using Cleante to represent?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)