|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tartuffe do when Orgon confronts him with Damis' claims near the end of Act 3?
2. Who says, "Shouldn't a Christian pardon the offense and purge his soul of desire for vengeance"?
3. What name does Orgon frequently address when speaking to Tartuffe near the end of Act 3?
4. Who says, "The mere thought of this ingratitude makes me suffer from a torture so crude"?
5. Who says, "My breast does not hold a heart of stone"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of loyalty in the play. Who is genuinely loyal? Who, and in what manner, do some characters feign loyalty? What significance is present by including both loyal and disloyal characters?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of the character Madame Pernelle in the play. What is her purpose? What might she be representative of in terms of society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of social class in the play. What is the author using the play to say in regards to social class? Which characters help the author accomplish these goals and how do they do so?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)