|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tartuffe talking about when he says, "I wholly forgive him of any blame, and long to restore him to his goon name."?
2. Who does Orgon say will be his only legal heir at the end of Act 3?
3. What does Elmire say "aids in our misdirection" when planning her scheme against Tartuffe with Dorine in Act 4?
4. What does Elmire threaten to do to Tartuffe near the end of their private conversation in Act 3?
5. What does Cleante ask Tartuffe to help him with at the beginning of Act 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of Orgon and Mariane's relationship. What might the author be using their relationship to say regarding the time period in which the play was written?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the irony in the family trying to con Tartuffe after he had already successfully conned them. What might the author be saying in terms of dishonesty by having the family's plan backfire?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the servant characters in the play, namely Dorine and Filipote. How are these two characters portrayed differently? What purpose does the author have for presenting these characters so differently?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)