|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Your desires are too quick to ignite, and you mustn't let passion be overdone"?
2. Who is the first person Orgon speaks with after hearing of Tartuffe's advances on Elmire?
3. What does Elmire threaten to do to Tartuffe near the end of their private conversation in Act 3?
4. What does Orgon do to Damis near the end of Act 3?
5. What kind of man does Orgon say Tartuffe is after he sees the advances he makes on Elmire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of loyalty in the play. Who is genuinely loyal? Who, and in what manner, do some characters feign loyalty? What significance is present by including both loyal and disloyal characters?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of the character Madame Pernelle in the play. What is her purpose? What might she be representative of in terms of society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of Orgon and Mariane's relationship. What might the author be using their relationship to say regarding the time period in which the play was written?
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)