|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of man does Orgon say Tartuffe is after he sees the advances he makes on Elmire?
2. What does Elmire make Tartuffe promise to do near the end of their private conversation in Act 3?
3. Who does Damis refer to as a "vulgar coxcomb" in Act 3?
4. Finish the sentence: "Defying those with rumors to foment, he wants us together at every _____."
5. Who says, "I'll stoke up the fires of his insolent heart and give a free field to this base upstart"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism in the king's intervention and subsequent absolution for Orgon at the end of the play. What message might the author be trying to get across with the use of this character?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of the character Madame Pernelle in the play. What is her purpose? What might she be representative of in terms of society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of struggle in the character's actions and words in the play. What reasons does he have for presenting the character's actions and words in such contrast with one another?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)