|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words does Tartuffe use to describe himself to Orgon after being confronted by him in Act 3?
2. How does Tartuffe react when Elmire first begins telling him of her passion for him during their private conversation in Act 4?
3. What does Elmire get Orgon to agree to do in order to prove Tartuffe is disloyal in Act 4?
4. Who says, "May a bolt of lightning now strike me dumb, may everybody treat me like a bum"?
5. What does Dorine tell Tartuffe she believes is "out of fashion" in Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the irony in the family trying to con Tartuffe after he had already successfully conned them. What might the author be saying in terms of dishonesty by having the family's plan backfire?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the nature of Tartuffe and Orgon's relationship. How is this relationship formed? What about the nature of the relationship's formation suggests the relationship isn't genuine?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the nature of trust in the play. Which characters are presented as trustworthy, and which are not? What purpose does the author have in presenting trust in this way?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)