|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orgon say to Mariane after she has made her plea to not marry Tartuffe?
2. What does Tartuffe give to Dorine when they first begin talking in Act 3?
3. Finish the sentence: "I am cutting you off and what is worse I am leaving you with my heart-felt _______."
4. Who is Tartuffe talking about when he says, "I wholly forgive him of any blame, and long to restore him to his goon name."?
5. Who will Orgon NOT allow to speak after Mariane has tried to talk him out of making her marry Tartuffe in Act 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of Orgon and Mariane's relationship. What might the author be using their relationship to say regarding the time period in which the play was written?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the servant characters in the play, namely Dorine and Filipote. How are these two characters portrayed differently? What purpose does the author have for presenting these characters so differently?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of social class in the play. What is the author using the play to say in regards to social class? Which characters help the author accomplish these goals and how do they do so?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)