|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first character to speak in Act 4?
2. Finish the sentence: "And should we always respond to small slips with fire in our eyes and abuse on our ___."
3. What does Elmire say "aids in our misdirection" when planning her scheme against Tartuffe with Dorine in Act 4?
4. Who says, "My breast does not hold a heart of stone"?
5. What does Tartuffe tell Cleante would be "a huge scandal"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the servant characters in the play, namely Dorine and Filipote. How are these two characters portrayed differently? What purpose does the author have for presenting these characters so differently?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of virtue in the play. How and by whom is virtue discussed? What seems to be the author's opinion of virtue?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of manipulation in the play. Who uses manipulation to their advantage and is most successful? What might the author be saying about the nature of manipulation by showing the family's misuse of it?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)