|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person Orgon speaks with after hearing of Tartuffe's advances on Elmire?
2. What does Mariane tell Orgon she will join if he makes her marry Tartuffe?
3. Who does Orgon say will be his only legal heir at the end of Act 3?
4. What does Damis say he wants to do when he comes out of hiding in Act 3?
5. What does Elmire threaten to do to Tartuffe near the end of their private conversation in Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Cleante's role as the voice of reason in the play. In what ways has he shown reasonable and thoughtful actions in the play? What might the author be using Cleante to represent?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the internal struggles between the members of the family in the play. What factors are to blame for these struggles?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of hypocrisy that is presented in the play. What might the author be saying in terms of hypocrisy and religion?
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)