|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will Orgon NOT allow to speak after Mariane has tried to talk him out of making her marry Tartuffe in Act 4?
2. Where does Tartuffe place his hand on Elmire that causes her to become alarmed during their private conversation in Act 3?
3. What does Elmire make Tartuffe promise to do near the end of their private conversation in Act 3?
4. Who says, "You have your own reasons for acting so, and I have reasons for my quid-pro-quo"?
5. Finish the sentence: "If you take my advice, you will seek a truce and not be a party to this boy's ____."
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of comedy in the dialogue and scenery of the play. What are some ways that the dialogue of the play can be deemed comedic? What actions and scenery in the play are comedic? What tone might the author be trying to achieve through the use of comedy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of hypocrisy that is presented in the play. What might the author be saying in terms of hypocrisy and religion?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character Tartuffe in the play. What seems to be his true intentions? What seems to motivate his actions? How does he go about getting what he wants?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)