|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mariane offer for Orgon to give to Tartuffe if she will not have to marry him?
2. Who does Orgon say will be his only legal heir at the end of Act 3?
3. Who is Tartuffe talking about when he says, "I wholly forgive him of any blame, and long to restore him to his goon name."?
4. What reason does Tartuffe give Cleante for leaving him in Act 4?
5. What kind of man does Orgon say Tartuffe is after he sees the advances he makes on Elmire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of manipulation in the play. Who uses manipulation to their advantage and is most successful? What might the author be saying about the nature of manipulation by showing the family's misuse of it?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Tartuffe in the play. What seems to be his true intentions? What seems to motivate his actions? How does he go about getting what he wants?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the servant characters in the play, namely Dorine and Filipote. How are these two characters portrayed differently? What purpose does the author have for presenting these characters so differently?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)