|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tartuffe give to Dorine when they first begin talking in Act 3?
2. What does Tartuffe say caused his heart to belong to Elmire and made her his queen in Act 3?
3. Who says, "Your desires are too quick to ignite, and you mustn't let passion be overdone"?
4. Who will Orgon NOT allow to speak after Mariane has tried to talk him out of making her marry Tartuffe in Act 4?
5. Who says, "The mere thought of this ingratitude makes me suffer from a torture so crude"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the servant characters in the play, namely Dorine and Filipote. How are these two characters portrayed differently? What purpose does the author have for presenting these characters so differently?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of hypocrisy that is presented in the play. What might the author be saying in terms of hypocrisy and religion?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the irony in the family trying to con Tartuffe after he had already successfully conned them. What might the author be saying in terms of dishonesty by having the family's plan backfire?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)