|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Tartuffe's servant?
2. What term does Mariane refer to Tartuffe as just after her father asks if she will marry him?
3. Who describes Tartuffe as "a base usurper with a power tyrannic"?
4. What is the relationship between Elmire and Mariane?
5. What does Dorine refer to Tartuffe as during her argument with Orgon in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dorine describe Tartuffe to Orgon in Act 1?
2. What does Elmire say regarding her husband's feelings towards Tartuffe?
3. How does Tartuffe react when Dorine mentions that Elmire wanted to speak with him privately?
4. What does Dorine say to Mariane after Orgon leaves the room in Act 2?
5. What happens when Mr. Loyal knocks on the door of Orgon's home?
6. How does Dorine react toward Mariane regarding Orgon's request that she marry Tartuffe?
7. Describe the conversation between Elmire and Tartuffe when she tries to dissuade him from accepting Mariane's hand in marriage.
8. What does Damis say he wishes to do to Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 3?
9. How does Dorine describe her scheme to get Orgon to distrust Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 3?
10. Describe what Madame Pernelle says and does to her servant just before leaving in Act 1.
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of the character Madame Pernelle in the play. What is her purpose? What might she be representative of in terms of society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of struggle in the character's actions and words in the play. What reasons does he have for presenting the character's actions and words in such contrast with one another?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of temper in the play. Who is able to control their temper and who is not? What might the author be saying in terms of the repercussions of losing ones temper?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)