|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of the play Le Tartuffe?
2. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say Tartuffe did the first time they met?
3. Finish the sentence: "Yes, I may think so, but my broken heart foresees you, too, suffering from Love's ____."
4. Who says, "Do you think that I should perpetuate the flame of love that I have felt of late?"
5. What is the relationship between Damis and Mariane?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orgon react when Damis reveals that Tartuffe made advances towards Elmire?
2. Describe Dorine and Cleante's pleas to Orgon regarding Mariane's marriage in Act 4.
3. In what way does Dorine say Tartuffe has changed since he came to their house?
4. Describe the nature of the discussion between Dorine and Mariane after Mariane asks her for help getting out of the marriage to Tartuffe in Act 2.
5. What is the nature of Orgon's friend Argas' documents?
6. What reasons does Madame Pernelle give Elmire for leaving the house at the beginning of Act 1?
7. How does Dorine react toward Mariane regarding Orgon's request that she marry Tartuffe?
8. How does Dorine describe Tartuffe to Orgon in Act 1?
9. Describe the interaction between Elmire and Tartuffe when Elmire first enters the room in Act 3.
10. How does Tartuffe talk Orgon into letting him hold some documents for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of Tartuffe and Orgon's relationship. How is this relationship formed? What about the nature of the relationship's formation suggests the relationship isn't genuine?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of hypocrisy that is presented in the play. What might the author be saying in terms of hypocrisy and religion?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of struggle in the character's actions and words in the play. What reasons does he have for presenting the character's actions and words in such contrast with one another?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)