|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, ""I think, perchance, you've lost your mind through extravagance" in Act 2?
2. What does Orgon tell Cleante when he asks what he should report to Valere regarding Mariane's marriage?
3. What does Orgon claim he has given Dorine "too much" of during their argument in Act 2?
4. What does Orgon claim Tartuffe has a "powerful love" for that makes him renounce wealth?
5. What is Mariane's response to Orgon when he asks her if she will marry Tartuffe in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Madame Pernelle takes defense of Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 1.
2. Why does Damis ask Cleante to discuss the upcoming marriage of Mariane with Orgon in Act 1?
3. What is the nature of Orgon and Mariane's discussion at the beginning of Act 2 just before Tartuffe is brought up?
4. What does Orgon ask Dorine about when he first enters the scene in Act 1?
5. How does Dorine react toward Mariane regarding Orgon's request that she marry Tartuffe?
6. Describe the interaction between Mariane and Valere after Dorine brings them back into the room at the end of Act 2.
7. What does Damis say he wishes to do to Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 3?
8. Why does Dorine claim the family's neighbor is slandering them?
9. What is the nature of Tartuffe's dialogue when he first appears in Act 3?
10. What is the nature of Orgon and Cleante's discussion regarding Mariane's wedding at the end of Act 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of Orgon and Mariane's relationship. What might the author be using their relationship to say regarding the time period in which the play was written?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of manipulation in the play. Who uses manipulation to their advantage and is most successful? What might the author be saying about the nature of manipulation by showing the family's misuse of it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of temper in the play. Who is able to control their temper and who is not? What might the author be saying in terms of the repercussions of losing ones temper?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)