|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Orgon tell his daughter she must earn his love at the beginning of Act 2?
2. What does Mariane describe as having "with the strongest passion"?
3. What does Orgon call Dorine when she claims that he is lying about making his daughter marry Tartuffe?
4. Who hides in the room while Orgon and Mariane talk at the beginning of Act 2?
5. Who does Cleante question Orgon about near the end of Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dorine react toward Mariane regarding Orgon's request that she marry Tartuffe?
2. What is the nature of Orgon's friend Argas' documents?
3. In what way does Dorine say Tartuffe has changed since he came to their house?
4. Why does Elmire ask Tartuffe to go into the hallway during their encounter in Act 4?
5. What plan does Dorine come up with at the end of Act 2 in hopes of preventing Mariane from marrying Tartuffe?
6. What does Cleante scold Orgon about at the beginning of Act 5?
7. Describe the interaction between Mariane and Valere after Dorine brings them back into the room at the end of Act 2.
8. How does Orgon react toward Dorine's negative descriptions of Tartuffe in Act 2?
9. Describe the conversation between Elmire and Tartuffe when she tries to dissuade him from accepting Mariane's hand in marriage.
10. How does Tartuffe react after Orgon confronts him about his bad behavior towards Elmire at the end of Act 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of manipulation in the play. Who uses manipulation to their advantage and is most successful? What might the author be saying about the nature of manipulation by showing the family's misuse of it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of comedy in the dialogue and scenery of the play. What are some ways that the dialogue of the play can be deemed comedic? What actions and scenery in the play are comedic? What tone might the author be trying to achieve through the use of comedy?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of Tartuffe and Orgon's relationship. How is this relationship formed? What about the nature of the relationship's formation suggests the relationship isn't genuine?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)