|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Mariane refer to Tartuffe as just after her father asks if she will marry him?
2. Who says, "Do you think that I should perpetuate the flame of love that I have felt of late?"
3. What does Dorine do every time Orgon turns towards her during their argument in Act 2?
4. What does Cleante describe Orgon's descriptions of Tartuffe as near the end of Act 1?
5. Whom does Cleante say wants to marry Mariane during his conversation with Orgon near the end of Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dorine claim the family's neighbor is slandering them?
2. How does Dorine describe Tartuffe to Orgon in Act 1?
3. What is Valere's reaction just after learning of Orgon's plans for Mariane to marry Tartuffe?
4. Describe the interactions between Dorine and Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 3.
5. What does Cleante say regarding Orgon's temper in Act 5?
6. Describe the interaction between Orgon and Mariane near the beginning of Act 4.
7. Describe the nature of the discussion between Dorine and Mariane after Mariane asks her for help getting out of the marriage to Tartuffe in Act 2.
8. How does Dorine react toward Mariane regarding Orgon's request that she marry Tartuffe?
9. What reason does Orgon give to Elmire excusing why he refuses to believe Damis over Tartuffe?
10. How does Orgon react toward Dorine's negative descriptions of Tartuffe in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism in the king's intervention and subsequent absolution for Orgon at the end of the play. What message might the author be trying to get across with the use of this character?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the nature of Tartuffe and Orgon's relationship. How is this relationship formed? What about the nature of the relationship's formation suggests the relationship isn't genuine?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of hypocrisy that is presented in the play. What might the author be saying in terms of hypocrisy and religion?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)