|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorine refer to Tartuffe as during her argument with Orgon in Act 2?
2. What is the name of the neighbor Dorine accuses of slandering the family's house in the play?
3. Who does Dorine describe as "nuts" in Act 1?
4. What does Elmire refer to as a "dreadful chore" to Cleante in Act 1?
5. What does Orgon look in just before starting his conversation with Mariane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What solution does Elmire suggest to Orgon to prove Tartuffe is disloyal in Act 4?
2. What response does Cleante give Tartuffe when he refuses to help mend Orgon and Damis' relationship?
3. Describe the interaction between Valere and Mariane regarding Orgon's wish for her to marry Tartuffe.
4. Describe how Madame Pernelle takes defense of Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 1.
5. How does Orgon react when Damis reveals that Tartuffe made advances towards Elmire?
6. How does Elmire react when she realizes Tartuffe is making advances towards her in Act 3?
7. Why does Damis ask Cleante to discuss the upcoming marriage of Mariane with Orgon in Act 1?
8. Why does Dorine claim the family's neighbor is slandering them?
9. How does Orgon describe Tartuffe during his exchange with Cleante in Act 1?
10. Describe the nature of the discussion between Dorine and Mariane after Mariane asks her for help getting out of the marriage to Tartuffe in Act 2.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of temper in the play. Who is able to control their temper and who is not? What might the author be saying in terms of the repercussions of losing ones temper?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of struggle in the character's actions and words in the play. What reasons does he have for presenting the character's actions and words in such contrast with one another?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the internal struggles between the members of the family in the play. What factors are to blame for these struggles?
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)