|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dorine describe as "nuts" in Act 1?
2. Who describes Tartuffe as "a base usurper with a power tyrannic"?
3. Whom does Orgon tell Cleante causes Tartuffe to often become jealous in Act 1?
4. What does Orgon call Dorine when she claims that he is lying about making his daughter marry Tartuffe?
5. What statement does Orgon continually repeat when discussing Tartuffe with Dorine in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation between Elmire and Tartuffe when she tries to dissuade him from accepting Mariane's hand in marriage.
2. How does Dorine describe Orgon and Tartuffe's relationship to Cleante in Act 1?
3. Why does Dorine claim the family's neighbor is slandering them?
4. How does Tartuffe react towards Orgon after Damis reveals that he saw him making advances towards Elmire?
5. Describe the interaction between Orgon and Mariane near the beginning of Act 4.
6. What is the nature of Tartuffe's dialogue when he first appears in Act 3?
7. Describe Dorine and Cleante's pleas to Orgon regarding Mariane's marriage in Act 4.
8. What does Cleante say regarding Orgon's temper in Act 5?
9. What does Damis say he wishes to do to Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 3?
10. What does Cleante scold Orgon about at the beginning of Act 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism in the king's intervention and subsequent absolution for Orgon at the end of the play. What message might the author be trying to get across with the use of this character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of trust in the play. Which characters are presented as trustworthy, and which are not? What purpose does the author have in presenting trust in this way?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Cleante's role as the voice of reason in the play. In what ways has he shown reasonable and thoughtful actions in the play? What might the author be using Cleante to represent?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)