|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence: "Yes, I may think so, but my broken heart foresees you, too, suffering from Love's ____."
2. What does Dorine tell Mariane and Valere they will do to prevent the marriage of Mariane and Tartuffe?
3. What does Orgon say when Cleante asks if he will keep his promise at the end of Act 1?
4. What is the name of Madame Pernelle's servant in the play?
5. What is the name of the neighbor Dorine accuses of slandering the family's house in the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dorine describe Tartuffe to Orgon in Act 1?
2. What does Dorine say to Mariane after Orgon leaves the room in Act 2?
3. What does Cleante scold Orgon about at the beginning of Act 5?
4. What does Cleante come to talk to Tartuffe about at the beginning of Act 4?
5. How does Orgon describe Tartuffe during his exchange with Cleante in Act 1?
6. Describe the interaction between Mariane and Valere after Dorine brings them back into the room at the end of Act 2.
7. How does Dorine describe Orgon and Tartuffe's relationship to Cleante in Act 1?
8. Describe Dorine and Cleante's pleas to Orgon regarding Mariane's marriage in Act 4.
9. What does Damis say he wishes to do to Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 3?
10. What happens when Tartuffe returns to Orgon's home with an officer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism in the king's intervention and subsequent absolution for Orgon at the end of the play. What message might the author be trying to get across with the use of this character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of hypocrisy that is presented in the play. What might the author be saying in terms of hypocrisy and religion?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the servant characters in the play, namely Dorine and Filipote. How are these two characters portrayed differently? What purpose does the author have for presenting these characters so differently?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)