|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Orgon tell Cleante causes Tartuffe to often become jealous in Act 1?
2. Whom does Madame Pernelle call "a fool of the worst kind"?
3. Finish the sentence: "Yes, I may think so, but my broken heart foresees you, too, suffering from Love's ____."
4. Who does Dorine ask Mariane if she loves in Act 2?
5. What is Mariane's response to Orgon when he asks her if she will marry Tartuffe in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mariane react when her father asks her to marry Tartuffe?
2. What excuse does Tartuffe give to Cleante when he asks him to help Orgon and Damis make up?
3. Describe the interaction between Valere and Mariane regarding Orgon's wish for her to marry Tartuffe.
4. What does Damis say he wishes to do to Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 3?
5. In what way does Tartuffe "put the moves" on Elmire near the beginning of Act 3?
6. What response does Cleante give Tartuffe when he refuses to help mend Orgon and Damis' relationship?
7. What is the nature of Orgon and Mariane's discussion at the beginning of Act 2 just before Tartuffe is brought up?
8. How does Dorine describe Orgon and Tartuffe's relationship to Cleante in Act 1?
9. Describe the interaction between Orgon and Mariane near the beginning of Act 4.
10. Describe what happens when Damis reveals himself hiding in the room after Tartuffe makes advances towards Elmire.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of religion in the play. Who offers an honest portrayal of religiousness in the play? What seems to be the author's thoughts on religion?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the internal struggles between the members of the family in the play. What factors are to blame for these struggles?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of social class in the play. What is the author using the play to say in regards to social class? Which characters help the author accomplish these goals and how do they do so?
This section contains 1,308 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)