|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mariane's response to Valere when he asks her what she thinks of her father's decision for her to marry Tartuffe?
2. What does Cleante describe Orgon's descriptions of Tartuffe as near the end of Act 1?
3. What derogatory name does Madame Pernelle call her servant just before leaving the house in Act 1?
4. What does Dorine refer to Tartuffe as during her argument with Orgon in Act 2?
5. What does Orgon say when Cleante asks if he will keep his promise at the end of Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Orgon's friend Argas' documents?
2. How does Dorine react toward Mariane regarding Orgon's request that she marry Tartuffe?
3. How does Orgon describe Tartuffe during his exchange with Cleante in Act 1?
4. Describe the interactions between Dorine and Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 3.
5. How does Dorine describe Orgon and Tartuffe's relationship to Cleante in Act 1?
6. How does Tartuffe react when Dorine mentions that Elmire wanted to speak with him privately?
7. What is the nature of Orgon and Mariane's discussion at the beginning of Act 2 just before Tartuffe is brought up?
8. What does Mariane tell Dorine regarding her father's request that she marry Tartuffe in Act 2?
9. How does Elmire react when she realizes Tartuffe is making advances towards her in Act 3?
10. What solution does Elmire suggest to Orgon to prove Tartuffe is disloyal in Act 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism in the king's intervention and subsequent absolution for Orgon at the end of the play. What message might the author be trying to get across with the use of this character?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the servant characters in the play, namely Dorine and Filipote. How are these two characters portrayed differently? What purpose does the author have for presenting these characters so differently?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of hypocrisy that is presented in the play. What might the author be saying in terms of hypocrisy and religion?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)