|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorine tell Mariane and Valere at the very end of Act 2?
2. Who does Madame Pernelle say has "fallen from grace" in Act 1?
3. What does Cleante describe Orgon's descriptions of Tartuffe as near the end of Act 1?
4. What is the name of Madame Pernelle's servant in the play?
5. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say Tartuffe did the first time they met?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction between Mariane and Valere after Dorine brings them back into the room at the end of Act 2.
2. Why does Elmire ask Tartuffe to go into the hallway during their encounter in Act 4?
3. What plan does Dorine come up with at the end of Act 2 in hopes of preventing Mariane from marrying Tartuffe?
4. Describe the interaction between Elmire and Tartuffe when Elmire first enters the room in Act 3.
5. What response does Cleante give Tartuffe when he refuses to help mend Orgon and Damis' relationship?
6. How does Tartuffe react towards Orgon after Damis reveals that he saw him making advances towards Elmire?
7. How does Elmire react when she realizes Tartuffe is making advances towards her in Act 3?
8. How does Tartuffe react after Orgon confronts him about his bad behavior towards Elmire at the end of Act 4?
9. Describe the interaction between Valere and Mariane regarding Orgon's wish for her to marry Tartuffe.
10. Describe Tartuffe and Elmire's interaction when he first enters the room to talk with her in Act 4.
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of the character Madame Pernelle in the play. What is her purpose? What might she be representative of in terms of society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism in the king's intervention and subsequent absolution for Orgon at the end of the play. What message might the author be trying to get across with the use of this character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of temper in the play. Who is able to control their temper and who is not? What might the author be saying in terms of the repercussions of losing ones temper?
This section contains 1,362 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)