|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Damis ask Cleante to discuss with Orgon just before he comes into the scene in Act 1?
2. What does Orgon say his money could help Tartuffe accomplish during his conversation with Dorine in Act 2?
3. What is Mariane's response to Orgon when he asks her if she will marry Tartuffe in Act 2?
4. Whom does Cleante say wants to marry Mariane during his conversation with Orgon near the end of Act 1?
5. What does Orgon call Dorine when she claims that he is lying about making his daughter marry Tartuffe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orgon tell his family regarding the secret he has shared with Tartuffe?
2. How does Orgon react toward Dorine's negative descriptions of Tartuffe in Act 2?
3. Why does Dorine claim the family's neighbor is slandering them?
4. How does Dorine react toward Mariane regarding Orgon's request that she marry Tartuffe?
5. Describe Tartuffe and Elmire's interaction when he first enters the room to talk with her in Act 4.
6. What is Madame Pernelle's reaction towards her family when she hears of Tartuffe's betrayal?
7. How does Dorine describe Orgon and Tartuffe's relationship to Cleante in Act 1?
8. How does Mariane react when her father asks her to marry Tartuffe?
9. Describe what happens when Damis reveals himself hiding in the room after Tartuffe makes advances towards Elmire.
10. What is the nature of Orgon and Mariane's discussion at the beginning of Act 2 just before Tartuffe is brought up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nature of trust in the play. Which characters are presented as trustworthy, and which are not? What purpose does the author have in presenting trust in this way?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Cleante's role as the voice of reason in the play. In what ways has he shown reasonable and thoughtful actions in the play? What might the author be using Cleante to represent?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of religion in the play. Who offers an honest portrayal of religiousness in the play? What seems to be the author's thoughts on religion?
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)