Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorine refer to Tartuffe as during her argument with Orgon in Act 2?
2. What is the name of the neighbor Dorine accuses of slandering the family's house in the play?
3. Who does Dorine describe as "nuts" in Act 1?
4. What does Elmire refer to as a "dreadful chore" to Cleante in Act 1?
5. What does Orgon look in just before starting his conversation with Mariane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What solution does Elmire suggest to Orgon to prove Tartuffe is disloyal in Act 4?
2. What response does Cleante give Tartuffe when he refuses to help mend Orgon and Damis' relationship?
3. Describe the interaction between Valere and Mariane regarding Orgon's wish for her to marry Tartuffe.
4. Describe how Madame Pernelle takes defense of Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 1.
5. How does Orgon react when Damis reveals that Tartuffe made advances towards Elmire?
6. How does Elmire react when she realizes Tartuffe is making advances towards her in Act 3?
7. Why does Damis ask Cleante to discuss the upcoming marriage of Mariane with Orgon in Act 1?
8. Why does Dorine claim the family's neighbor is slandering them?
9. How does Orgon describe Tartuffe during his exchange with Cleante in Act 1?
10. Describe the nature of the discussion between Dorine and Mariane after Mariane asks her for help getting out of the marriage to Tartuffe in Act 2.
Essay Topic 1
Examine Cleante's role as the voice of reason in the play. In what ways has he shown reasonable and thoughtful actions in the play? What might the author be using Cleante to represent?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of struggle in the character's actions and words in the play. What reasons does he have for presenting the character's actions and words in such contrast with one another?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of loyalty in the play. Who is genuinely loyal? Who, and in what manner, do some characters feign loyalty? What significance is present by including both loyal and disloyal characters?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)