|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first character to speak in the play?
2. What does Dorine tell Mariane and Valere at the very end of Act 2?
3. Which of the following people does Dorine NOT tell Mariane and Valere to speak with regarding their plans of stopping Mariane and Tartuffe's marriage?
4. What does Dorine refer to Tartuffe as during her argument with Orgon in Act 2?
5. What does Orgon claim Tartuffe has a "powerful love" for that makes him renounce wealth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tartuffe react after Orgon confronts him about his bad behavior towards Elmire at the end of Act 4?
2. What plan does Dorine come up with at the end of Act 2 in hopes of preventing Mariane from marrying Tartuffe?
3. What reasons does Madame Pernelle give Elmire for leaving the house at the beginning of Act 1?
4. Describe how Madame Pernelle takes defense of Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 1.
5. What does Orgon ask Dorine about when he first enters the scene in Act 1?
6. What is the nature of Tartuffe's dialogue when he first appears in Act 3?
7. What does Orgon tell his family regarding the secret he has shared with Tartuffe?
8. What does Cleante scold Orgon about at the beginning of Act 5?
9. Describe what Madame Pernelle says and does to her servant just before leaving in Act 1.
10. In what way does Dorine say Tartuffe has changed since he came to their house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of religion in the play. Who offers an honest portrayal of religiousness in the play? What seems to be the author's thoughts on religion?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of trust in the play. Which characters are presented as trustworthy, and which are not? What purpose does the author have in presenting trust in this way?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the unlikely control of Dorine in the play. In what ways does she control the other characters in the play? How does her ability to control others differ from Tartuffe's?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)