|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is the first to speak in Act 2?
2. Who is Cleante's sister in the play?
3. What derogatory name does Madame Pernelle call her servant just before leaving the house in Act 1?
4. What does Elmire refer to as a "dreadful chore" to Cleante in Act 1?
5. What does Orgon tell Cleante God told him to do regarding Tartuffe?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Tartuffe "put the moves" on Elmire near the beginning of Act 3?
2. What is the nature of Orgon and Mariane's discussion at the beginning of Act 2 just before Tartuffe is brought up?
3. What excuse does Tartuffe give to Cleante when he asks him to help Orgon and Damis make up?
4. How does Dorine describe her scheme to get Orgon to distrust Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 3?
5. Describe the interaction between Valere and Mariane that causes them to leave the room near the end of Act 2.
6. What solution does Elmire suggest to Orgon to prove Tartuffe is disloyal in Act 4?
7. What plan does Dorine come up with at the end of Act 2 in hopes of preventing Mariane from marrying Tartuffe?
8. How does Mariane react when her father asks her to marry Tartuffe?
9. What does Cleante say regarding Orgon's temper in Act 5?
10. What news does Valere share when he first appears in Act 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Cleante's role as the voice of reason in the play. In what ways has he shown reasonable and thoughtful actions in the play? What might the author be using Cleante to represent?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of struggle in the character's actions and words in the play. What reasons does he have for presenting the character's actions and words in such contrast with one another?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character Tartuffe in the play. What seems to be his true intentions? What seems to motivate his actions? How does he go about getting what he wants?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)