|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who describes Tartuffe as "a base usurper with a power tyrannic"?
2. What does Elmire refer to as a "dreadful chore" to Cleante in Act 1?
3. What is the name of Tartuffe's servant?
4. Who asks, "Are you mocking us with your silly plot"?
5. What question does Dorine ask Mariane just after Orgon leaves the room in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elmire say regarding her husband's feelings towards Tartuffe?
2. In what way does Dorine say Tartuffe has changed since he came to their house?
3. Describe Tartuffe and Elmire's interaction when he first enters the room to talk with her in Act 4.
4. What reasons does Madame Pernelle give Elmire for leaving the house at the beginning of Act 1?
5. How does Orgon react toward Dorine's negative descriptions of Tartuffe in Act 2?
6. Describe the interaction between Orgon and Mariane near the beginning of Act 4.
7. Describe how Madame Pernelle takes defense of Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 1.
8. How does Dorine describe her scheme to get Orgon to distrust Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 3?
9. What does Orgon ask Dorine about when he first enters the scene in Act 1?
10. How does Damis react after he learns of Tartuffe's betrayal of Orgon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of loyalty in the play. Who is genuinely loyal? Who, and in what manner, do some characters feign loyalty? What significance is present by including both loyal and disloyal characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of manipulation in the play. Who uses manipulation to their advantage and is most successful? What might the author be saying about the nature of manipulation by showing the family's misuse of it?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the servant characters in the play, namely Dorine and Filipote. How are these two characters portrayed differently? What purpose does the author have for presenting these characters so differently?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)