Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorine refer to Tartuffe as during her argument with Orgon in Act 2?
2. What is the name of the neighbor Dorine accuses of slandering the family's house in the play?
3. Who does Dorine describe as "nuts" in Act 1?
4. What does Elmire refer to as a "dreadful chore" to Cleante in Act 1?
5. What does Orgon look in just before starting his conversation with Mariane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What solution does Elmire suggest to Orgon to prove Tartuffe is disloyal in Act 4?
2. What response does Cleante give Tartuffe when he refuses to help mend Orgon and Damis' relationship?
3. Describe the interaction between Valere and Mariane regarding Orgon's wish for her to marry Tartuffe.
4. Describe how Madame Pernelle takes defense of Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 1.
5. How does Orgon react when Damis reveals that Tartuffe made advances towards Elmire?
6. How does Elmire react when she realizes Tartuffe is making advances towards her in Act 3?
7. Why does Damis ask Cleante to discuss the upcoming marriage of Mariane with Orgon in Act 1?
8. Why does Dorine claim the family's neighbor is slandering them?
9. How does Orgon describe Tartuffe during his exchange with Cleante in Act 1?
10. Describe the nature of the discussion between Dorine and Mariane after Mariane asks her for help getting out of the marriage to Tartuffe in Act 2.
Discuss the role of loyalty in the play. Who is genuinely loyal? Who, and in what manner, do some characters feign loyalty? What significance is present by including both loyal and disloyal characters?
Examine the role of the character Madame Pernelle in the play. What is her purpose? What might she be representative of in terms of society?
Examine the character Tartuffe in the play. What seems to be his true intentions? What seems to motivate his actions? How does he go about getting what he wants?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)