|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is described as "a holy man whom all should hear"?
2. Who hides in the room while Orgon and Mariane talk at the beginning of Act 2?
3. Who does Madame Pernelle slap in Act 1?
4. What is Mariane's response to Orgon when he asks her if she will marry Tartuffe in Act 2?
(a) "I dare not!"
(b) "It is your will."
(c) "Out of the question, father, I assure you!"
(d) "Whatever your wish father."
5. What is Mariane's response to Valere when he asks her what she thinks of her father's decision for her to marry Tartuffe?
(a) "It will not happen."
(b) "What do you think?"
(c) "I don't know".
(d) "It can't be true."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cleante say he fears at the end of Act 1?
2. What term does Mariane refer to Tartuffe as just after her father asks if she will marry him?
3. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say regarding Tartuffe during his conversation with Mariane in Act 2?
4. What does Orgon claim he has given Dorine "too much" of during their argument in Act 2?
5. What does Cleante describe Orgon's descriptions of Tartuffe as near the end of Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tartuffe and Elmire's interaction when he first enters the room to talk with her in Act 4.
2. Why does Elmire ask Tartuffe to go into the hallway during their encounter in Act 4?
3. What solution does Elmire suggest to Orgon to prove Tartuffe is disloyal in Act 4?
4. What does Damis say he wishes to do to Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 3?
5. Describe the interaction between Valere and Mariane that causes them to leave the room near the end of Act 2.
6. What is Madame Pernelle's reaction towards her family when she hears of Tartuffe's betrayal?
7. What reason does Orgon give to Elmire excusing why he refuses to believe Damis over Tartuffe?
8. What does Mariane tell Dorine regarding her father's request that she marry Tartuffe in Act 2?
9. What does Cleante scold Orgon about at the beginning of Act 5?
10. In what way does Tartuffe "put the moves" on Elmire near the beginning of Act 3?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)