|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dorine tell Mariane and Valere they will do to prevent the marriage of Mariane and Tartuffe?
(a) "Wage war on every front."
(b) "Get witnesses and proof."
(c) "Gather friends and family."
(d) "Get prepared to fight."
2. Which two characters converse with one another just after Madame Pernelle leaves in Act 1?
(a) Orgon and Tartuffe.
(b) Elmire and Orgon.
(c) Cleante and Dorine.
(d) Elmire and Dorine.
3. What does Orgon tell Cleante when he asks what he should report to Valere regarding Mariane's marriage?
(a) "What you please".
(b) "Enough I say".
(c) "No more".
(d) "I dare say not".
4. What is the relationship between Elmire and Mariane?
(a) Mother and daughter.
(c) Stepmother and stepdaughter.
5. In which manner does Orgon say he needs to speak with his daughter in Act 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence: "Claiming our crime was truly gigantic in mixing what's holy with what's ______".
2. Who says, ""I think, perchance, you've lost your mind through extravagance" in Act 2?
3. What derogatory name does Madame Pernelle call her servant just before leaving the house in Act 1?
4. What does Orgon call Dorine when she claims that he is lying about making his daughter marry Tartuffe?
5. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say Tartuffe did the first time they met?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elmire react when she realizes Tartuffe is making advances towards her in Act 3?
2. Why does Elmire ask Tartuffe to go into the hallway during their encounter in Act 4?
3. What reason does Orgon give to Elmire excusing why he refuses to believe Damis over Tartuffe?
4. What is the nature of Tartuffe's dialogue when he first appears in Act 3?
5. How does Dorine describe Orgon and Tartuffe's relationship to Cleante in Act 1?
6. How does Dorine describe her scheme to get Orgon to distrust Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 3?
7. What is Madame Pernelle's reaction towards her family when she hears of Tartuffe's betrayal?
8. What does Orgon ask Dorine about when he first enters the scene in Act 1?
9. What is the nature of Orgon and Cleante's discussion regarding Mariane's wedding at the end of Act 1?
10. What solution does Elmire suggest to Orgon to prove Tartuffe is disloyal in Act 4?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)