|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, ""I think, perchance, you've lost your mind through extravagance" in Act 2?
2. Finish the sentence: "But I've just heard word of this marriage, and I trust it is only ____."
3. Whom does Cleante say wants to marry Mariane during his conversation with Orgon near the end of Act 1?
4. Who does Dorine describe as "nuts" in Act 1?
(d) Madame Pernelle.
5. Who hides in the room while Orgon and Mariane talk at the beginning of Act 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, what ailment does Dorine tell Orgon his wife suffered while he was gone?
2. Who says, "Your injustice to me has a mortal sting!"?
3. In what way does Orgon tell his daughter she must earn his love at the beginning of Act 2?
4. What does Mariane describe as having "with the strongest passion"?
5. Who tells Orgon to keep his "anger within measure" in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cleante describe true pious and religious people in Act 1?
2. Why does Dorine claim the family's neighbor is slandering them?
3. What happens when Mr. Loyal knocks on the door of Orgon's home?
4. What is the nature of Tartuffe's dialogue when he first appears in Act 3?
5. How does Tartuffe react after Orgon confronts him about his bad behavior towards Elmire at the end of Act 4?
6. Describe what happens when Damis reveals himself hiding in the room after Tartuffe makes advances towards Elmire.
7. Describe how Madame Pernelle takes defense of Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 1.
8. Describe Tartuffe and Elmire's interaction when he first enters the room to talk with her in Act 4.
9. Describe Dorine and Cleante's pleas to Orgon regarding Mariane's marriage in Act 4.
10. How does Tartuffe react when Dorine mentions that Elmire wanted to speak with him privately?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)