|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Cleante's sister in the play?
(b) Madame Pernelle.
2. What is Mariane's response to Valere when he asks her what she thinks of her father's decision for her to marry Tartuffe?
(a) "I don't know".
(b) "It can't be true."
(c) "It will not happen."
(d) "What do you think?"
3. What statement does Orgon continually repeat when discussing Tartuffe with Dorine in Act 1?
(a) "My dear man!"
(b) "Poor fellow!"
(c) "Oh my!"
(d) "Praise be!"
4. What does Orgon call Dorine when she claims that he is lying about making his daughter marry Tartuffe?
(a) A snake.
(b) A wench.
(c) A shrew.
(d) A rat.
5. What does Orgon say his money could help Tartuffe accomplish during his conversation with Dorine in Act 2?
(a) Restore his land and remove his liens.
(b) Clear his debts.
(c) Give him a home.
(d) Clothe and feed him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is described as "a sly conjecture or a wicked smear"?
2. Finish the sentence: "He is a man of repute in the land of his birth, and, even as he is, he's a man of ______."
3. Who does Cleante question Orgon about near the end of Act 1?
4. Finish the sentence: "Yes, I may think so, but my broken heart foresees you, too, suffering from Love's ____."
5. Who calls Tartuffe a "false Capuchin" in the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mr. Loyal knocks on the door of Orgon's home?
2. How does Damis react after he learns of Tartuffe's betrayal of Orgon?
3. Describe the nature of the discussion between Dorine and Mariane after Mariane asks her for help getting out of the marriage to Tartuffe in Act 2.
4. What is the nature of Tartuffe's dialogue when he first appears in Act 3?
5. What does Cleante say regarding Orgon's temper in Act 5?
6. What is the nature of Orgon and Cleante's discussion regarding Mariane's wedding at the end of Act 1?
7. What excuse does Tartuffe give to Cleante when he asks him to help Orgon and Damis make up?
8. How does Dorine describe Orgon and Tartuffe's relationship to Cleante in Act 1?
9. How does Tartuffe react when Dorine mentions that Elmire wanted to speak with him privately?
10. What is the nature of Orgon's friend Argas' documents?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)