|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orgon look in just before starting his conversation with Mariane?
(a) The hallway.
(b) His coat pocket.
(c) The closet.
(d) A desk drawer.
2. Who is the first character to speak in the play?
(c) Madame Pernelle.
3. In Act 1, what ailment does Dorine tell Orgon his wife suffered while he was gone?
(a) A fever.
(b) Breathing problems.
(c) The flu.
(d) A fever and headache.
4. Who says, "Your injustice to me has a mortal sting!"?
5. What is the name of the neighbor Dorine accuses of slandering the family's house in the play?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orgon claim Tartuffe has a "powerful love" for that makes him renounce wealth?
2. What statement does Orgon continually repeat when discussing Tartuffe with Dorine in Act 1?
3. What does Orgon tell Cleante that Tartuffe did with the first donation he gave to him at the end of Act 1?
4. What derogatory name does Madame Pernelle call her servant just before leaving the house in Act 1?
5. What does Orgon tell Cleante God told him to do regarding Tartuffe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Valere share when he first appears in Act 5?
2. What is the nature of Orgon and Cleante's discussion regarding Mariane's wedding at the end of Act 1?
3. What is the nature of Orgon and Mariane's discussion at the beginning of Act 2 just before Tartuffe is brought up?
4. How does Mariane react when her father asks her to marry Tartuffe?
5. What happens when Tartuffe returns to Orgon's home with an officer?
6. What does Cleante scold Orgon about at the beginning of Act 5?
7. What does Elmire do just after Tartuffe begins making advances towards her in Act 4?
8. How does Elmire react when she realizes Tartuffe is making advances towards her in Act 3?
9. Describe the interaction between Orgon and Mariane near the beginning of Act 4.
10. What is the nature of Orgon's friend Argas' documents?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)