Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dorine refer to Tartuffe as during her argument with Orgon in Act 2?
(a) Loser and scum.
(b) Bum and bigot.
(c) Rude and unseemly.
2. What is the name of the neighbor Dorine accuses of slandering the family's house in the play?
3. Who does Dorine describe as "nuts" in Act 1?
(b) Madame Pernelle.
4. What does Elmire refer to as a "dreadful chore" to Cleante in Act 1?
(a) Talking to Orgon.
(b) Standing up.
(c) Madame Pernelle's lecture.
(d) Listening to Tartuffe.
5. What does Orgon look in just before starting his conversation with Mariane?
(a) The hallway.
(b) A desk drawer.
(c) His coat pocket.
(d) The closet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orgon claim Tartuffe has a "powerful love" for that makes him renounce wealth?
2. Finish Orgon's description of Tartuffe in Act 2: "He is a holy man and ______ poor."
3. Whom does Madame Pernelle call "a fool of the worst kind"?
4. What is the name of Tartuffe's servant?
5. What is the name of Madame Pernelle's servant in the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What solution does Elmire suggest to Orgon to prove Tartuffe is disloyal in Act 4?
2. What response does Cleante give Tartuffe when he refuses to help mend Orgon and Damis' relationship?
3. Describe the interaction between Valere and Mariane regarding Orgon's wish for her to marry Tartuffe.
4. Describe how Madame Pernelle takes defense of Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 1.
5. How does Orgon react when Damis reveals that Tartuffe made advances towards Elmire?
6. How does Elmire react when she realizes Tartuffe is making advances towards her in Act 3?
7. Why does Damis ask Cleante to discuss the upcoming marriage of Mariane with Orgon in Act 1?
8. Why does Dorine claim the family's neighbor is slandering them?
9. How does Orgon describe Tartuffe during his exchange with Cleante in Act 1?
10. Describe the nature of the discussion between Dorine and Mariane after Mariane asks her for help getting out of the marriage to Tartuffe in Act 2.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)