|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "Your injustice to me has a mortal sting!"?
2. Finish the sentence: "And now life is sweet as a ______".
3. What does Orgon claim Tartuffe has a "powerful love" for that makes him renounce wealth?
(b) The eternal.
(c) The Lord.
4. What is described as "a sly conjecture or a wicked smear"?
(a) The rumor of Mariane marrying Tartuffe.
(b) For Mariane to marry Valere.
(c) Orgon's opinion of Tartuffe.
(d) Tartuffe's reputation.
5. What statement does Orgon continually repeat when discussing Tartuffe with Dorine in Act 1?
(a) "Oh my!"
(b) "Poor fellow!"
(c) "Praise be!"
(d) "My dear man!"
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence: "Yes, I may think so, but my broken heart foresees you, too, suffering from Love's ____."
2. In what way does Orgon tell his daughter she must earn his love at the beginning of Act 2?
3. What does Elmire refer to as a "dreadful chore" to Cleante in Act 1?
4. Which two characters converse with one another just after Madame Pernelle leaves in Act 1?
5. Whom does Madame Pernelle call "a bold lassy" in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What excuse does Tartuffe give to Cleante when he asks him to help Orgon and Damis make up?
2. Describe the interaction between Elmire and Tartuffe when Elmire first enters the room in Act 3.
3. What is the nature of Orgon's friend Argas' documents?
4. Why does Elmire ask Tartuffe to go into the hallway during their encounter in Act 4?
5. Describe the conversation between Elmire and Tartuffe when she tries to dissuade him from accepting Mariane's hand in marriage.
6. Describe the interactions between Dorine and Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 3.
7. How does Tartuffe talk Orgon into letting him hold some documents for him?
8. Why does Damis ask Cleante to discuss the upcoming marriage of Mariane with Orgon in Act 1?
9. What does Orgon tell his family regarding the secret he has shared with Tartuffe?
10. Describe what Madame Pernelle says and does to her servant just before leaving in Act 1.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)