|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What derogatory name does Madame Pernelle call her servant just before leaving the house in Act 1?
(a) A dog.
(b) A lass.
(c) A slut.
(d) A waste.
2. Who describes Tartuffe as "a base usurper with a power tyrannic"?
3. Finish the sentence: "He is a man of repute in the land of his birth, and, even as he is, he's a man of ______."
4. What question does Dorine ask Mariane just after Orgon leaves the room in Act 2?
(a) "Have you entirely lost your voice and heart?"
(b) "What do you think of this?"
(c) "What's going to happen?"
(d) "Is this what you want?"
5. Who does Madame Pernelle slap in Act 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence: "A father's love brings true _____".
2. What does Elmire refer to as a "dreadful chore" to Cleante in Act 1?
3. What does Dorine tell Mariane and Valere at the very end of Act 2?
4. What is the name of the neighbor Dorine accuses of slandering the family's house in the play?
5. Who does Dorine describe as "nuts" in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tartuffe react towards Orgon after Damis reveals that he saw him making advances towards Elmire?
2. Describe the interaction between Valere and Mariane that causes them to leave the room near the end of Act 2.
3. How does Cleante describe true pious and religious people in Act 1?
4. What plan does Dorine come up with at the end of Act 2 in hopes of preventing Mariane from marrying Tartuffe?
5. What does Cleante scold Orgon about at the beginning of Act 5?
6. How does Damis react after he learns of Tartuffe's betrayal of Orgon?
7. What excuse does Tartuffe give to Cleante when he asks him to help Orgon and Damis make up?
8. How does Elmire react when she realizes Tartuffe is making advances towards her in Act 3?
9. What does Damis say he wishes to do to Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 3?
10. What reasons does Madame Pernelle give Elmire for leaving the house at the beginning of Act 1?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)