|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orgon look in just before starting his conversation with Mariane?
(a) The closet.
(b) The hallway.
(c) His coat pocket.
(d) A desk drawer.
2. Who does Madame Pernelle say has "fallen from grace" in Act 1?
3. What is the relationship between Elmire and Mariane?
(a) Mother and daughter.
(b) Stepmother and stepdaughter.
4. Who is Cleante's sister in the play?
(d) Madame Pernelle.
5. What does Orgon tell Cleante that Tartuffe did with the first donation he gave to him at the end of Act 1?
(a) Spent it on food for others.
(b) Bought new clothes.
(c) Asked for more.
(d) Tried to give some back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What derogatory name does Madame Pernelle call her servant just before leaving the house in Act 1?
2. Who says, "You've sure got humane sentiments down pat"?
3. What is the name of Madame Pernelle's servant in the play?
4. What does Orgon say his money could help Tartuffe accomplish during his conversation with Dorine in Act 2?
5. Whom does Madame Pernelle call "a fool of the worst kind"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cleante come to talk to Tartuffe about at the beginning of Act 4?
2. Describe how Madame Pernelle takes defense of Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 1.
3. How does Dorine describe Orgon and Tartuffe's relationship to Cleante in Act 1?
4. In what way does Tartuffe "put the moves" on Elmire near the beginning of Act 3?
5. What reason does Orgon give to Elmire excusing why he refuses to believe Damis over Tartuffe?
6. What happens when Tartuffe returns to Orgon's home with an officer?
7. What solution does Elmire suggest to Orgon to prove Tartuffe is disloyal in Act 4?
8. What does Elmire say regarding her husband's feelings towards Tartuffe?
9. Describe Tartuffe and Elmire's interaction when he first enters the room to talk with her in Act 4.
10. Describe the interaction between Elmire and Tartuffe when Elmire first enters the room in Act 3.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)