|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does Orgon tell his daughter she must earn his love at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) By working.
(b) By being happy.
(c) By devoting herself to content him.
(d) By moving away.
2. What does Elmire refer to as a "dreadful chore" to Cleante in Act 1?
(a) Talking to Orgon.
(b) Madame Pernelle's lecture.
(c) Standing up.
(d) Listening to Tartuffe.
3. Who tells Orgon to keep his "anger within measure" in Act 2?
4. What does Damis ask Cleante to discuss with Orgon just before he comes into the scene in Act 1?
(a) About evicting Tartuffe.
(b) About a job.
(c) About the marriage of Mariane.
(d) About his inheritance.
5. What does Dorine tell Mariane and Valere at the very end of Act 2?
(a) "You go off that way, and you go the other."
(b) "Make up and celebrate."
(c) "Go off together happily."
(d) "Go be happy and conspire."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of the play Le Tartuffe?
2. Who describes Tartuffe as "a base usurper with a power tyrannic"?
3. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say Tartuffe did the first time they met?
4. What does Cleante describe Orgon's descriptions of Tartuffe as near the end of Act 1?
5. What is the name of Tartuffe's servant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction between Elmire and Tartuffe when Elmire first enters the room in Act 3.
2. What does Cleante say regarding Orgon's temper in Act 5?
3. How does Tartuffe talk Orgon into letting him hold some documents for him?
4. Describe the nature of the discussion between Dorine and Mariane after Mariane asks her for help getting out of the marriage to Tartuffe in Act 2.
5. What is the nature of Orgon and Cleante's discussion regarding Mariane's wedding at the end of Act 1?
6. What does Elmire say regarding her husband's feelings towards Tartuffe?
7. Describe the interactions between Dorine and Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 3.
8. How does Dorine describe Orgon and Tartuffe's relationship to Cleante in Act 1?
9. Describe the conversation between Elmire and Tartuffe when she tries to dissuade him from accepting Mariane's hand in marriage.
10. What does Cleante come to talk to Tartuffe about at the beginning of Act 4?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)