|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orgon say when Cleante asks if he will keep his promise at the end of Act 1?
(a) "It is likely".
(c) "It is certain".
2. Who tells Orgon to keep his "anger within measure" in Act 2?
3. Who says, "Your injustice to me has a mortal sting!"?
4. What is the relationship between Elmire and Mariane?
(a) Stepmother and stepdaughter.
(b) Mother and daughter.
5. Finish the sentence: "A father's love brings true _____".
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following people does Dorine NOT tell Mariane and Valere to speak with regarding their plans of stopping Mariane and Tartuffe's marriage?
2. What does Orgon call Dorine when she claims that he is lying about making his daughter marry Tartuffe?
3. Who does Madame Pernelle say has "fallen from grace" in Act 1?
4. What does Cleante say he fears at the end of Act 1?
5. Whom does Madame Pernelle call "a fool of the worst kind"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dorine and Cleante's pleas to Orgon regarding Mariane's marriage in Act 4.
2. Describe the interaction between Orgon and Mariane near the beginning of Act 4.
3. How does Orgon describe Tartuffe during his exchange with Cleante in Act 1?
4. What does Damis say he wishes to do to Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 3?
5. Why does Dorine claim the family's neighbor is slandering them?
6. How does Orgon react when Damis reveals that Tartuffe made advances towards Elmire?
7. What reason does Orgon give to Elmire excusing why he refuses to believe Damis over Tartuffe?
8. Describe what happens when Damis reveals himself hiding in the room after Tartuffe makes advances towards Elmire.
9. What does Orgon ask Dorine about when he first enters the scene in Act 1?
10. What is Madame Pernelle's reaction towards her family when she hears of Tartuffe's betrayal?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)