|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Damis and Mariane?
(b) Uncle and niece.
(c) Brother and sister.
(d) Husband and wife.
2. What does Orgon claim Tartuffe has a "powerful love" for that makes him renounce wealth?
(c) The eternal.
(d) The Lord.
3. What does Orgon look in just before starting his conversation with Mariane?
(a) A desk drawer.
(b) The hallway.
(c) The closet.
(d) His coat pocket.
4. Who is the first character to speak in the play?
(b) Madame Pernelle.
5. Who says, ""I think, perchance, you've lost your mind through extravagance" in Act 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orgon claim he has given Dorine "too much" of during their argument in Act 2?
2. Finish the sentence: "He is a man of repute in the land of his birth, and, even as he is, he's a man of ______."
3. Who does Madame Pernelle say has "fallen from grace" in Act 1?
4. Finish the sentence: "But I've just heard word of this marriage, and I trust it is only ____."
5. What does Orgon call Dorine when she claims that he is lying about making his daughter marry Tartuffe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Damis ask Cleante to discuss the upcoming marriage of Mariane with Orgon in Act 1?
2. What plan does Dorine come up with at the end of Act 2 in hopes of preventing Mariane from marrying Tartuffe?
3. How does Tartuffe talk Orgon into letting him hold some documents for him?
4. What is the nature of Tartuffe's dialogue when he first appears in Act 3?
5. Describe the conversation between Elmire and Tartuffe when she tries to dissuade him from accepting Mariane's hand in marriage.
6. Describe the interaction between Elmire and Tartuffe when Elmire first enters the room in Act 3.
7. What is Valere's reaction just after learning of Orgon's plans for Mariane to marry Tartuffe?
8. What happens when Mr. Loyal knocks on the door of Orgon's home?
9. What solution does Elmire suggest to Orgon to prove Tartuffe is disloyal in Act 4?
10. Describe what happens when Damis reveals himself hiding in the room after Tartuffe makes advances towards Elmire.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)