|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does Orgon tell his daughter she must earn his love at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) By moving away.
(b) By being happy.
(c) By working.
(d) By devoting herself to content him.
2. What does Orgon call Dorine when she claims that he is lying about making his daughter marry Tartuffe?
(a) A rat.
(b) A wench.
(c) A snake.
(d) A shrew.
3. What does Dorine tell Mariane and Valere they will do to prevent the marriage of Mariane and Tartuffe?
(a) "Gather friends and family."
(b) "Wage war on every front."
(c) "Get witnesses and proof."
(d) "Get prepared to fight."
4. Who is described as "fat and flabby, with red lips, and a shining face"?
(a) Madame Pernelle.
5. What does Orgon tell Cleante God told him to do regarding Tartuffe?
(a) Feed him.
(b) Take him into his home.
(c) Clothe him.
(d) Give him work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence: "Yes, I may think so, but my broken heart foresees you, too, suffering from Love's ____."
2. What does Orgon say his money could help Tartuffe accomplish during his conversation with Dorine in Act 2?
3. Finish the sentence: "But I've just heard word of this marriage, and I trust it is only ____."
4. Whom does Cleante say wants to marry Mariane during his conversation with Orgon near the end of Act 1?
5. Who says, "You've sure got humane sentiments down pat"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mariane tell Dorine regarding her father's request that she marry Tartuffe in Act 2?
2. Describe the interaction between Mariane and Valere after Dorine brings them back into the room at the end of Act 2.
3. Describe Tartuffe and Elmire's interaction when he first enters the room to talk with her in Act 4.
4. How does Mariane react when her father asks her to marry Tartuffe?
5. In what way does Tartuffe "put the moves" on Elmire near the beginning of Act 3?
6. What solution does Elmire suggest to Orgon to prove Tartuffe is disloyal in Act 4?
7. How does Tartuffe react after Orgon confronts him about his bad behavior towards Elmire at the end of Act 4?
8. Describe the interaction between Orgon and Mariane near the beginning of Act 4.
9. What does Cleante say regarding Orgon's temper in Act 5?
10. How does Orgon react when Damis reveals that Tartuffe made advances towards Elmire?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)