|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "Gossip is singing a little ditty"?
2. Who does Dorine describe as "nuts" in Act 1?
(d) Madame Pernelle.
3. What does Dorine tell Mariane and Valere they will do to prevent the marriage of Mariane and Tartuffe?
(a) "Wage war on every front."
(b) "Gather friends and family."
(c) "Get witnesses and proof."
(d) "Get prepared to fight."
4. Who describes Tartuffe as "a base usurper with a power tyrannic"?
5. What is the relationship between Damis and Mariane?
(b) Husband and wife.
(c) Uncle and niece.
(d) Brother and sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorine refer to Tartuffe as during her argument with Orgon in Act 2?
2. What is the name of Madame Pernelle's servant in the play?
3. What is the name of the neighbor Dorine accuses of slandering the family's house in the play?
4. What does Orgon tell Cleante God told him to do regarding Tartuffe?
5. Which two characters converse with one another just after Madame Pernelle leaves in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What response does Cleante give Tartuffe when he refuses to help mend Orgon and Damis' relationship?
2. Describe Tartuffe and Elmire's interaction when he first enters the room to talk with her in Act 4.
3. Describe the interaction between Tartuffe and the officer at the end of Act 5.
4. Why does Elmire ask Tartuffe to go into the hallway during their encounter in Act 4?
5. What excuse does Tartuffe give to Cleante when he asks him to help Orgon and Damis make up?
6. What is Valere's reaction just after learning of Orgon's plans for Mariane to marry Tartuffe?
7. How does Dorine react toward Mariane regarding Orgon's request that she marry Tartuffe?
8. What is the nature of Orgon and Mariane's discussion at the beginning of Act 2 just before Tartuffe is brought up?
9. What is the nature of Tartuffe's dialogue when he first appears in Act 3?
10. Describe Dorine and Cleante's pleas to Orgon regarding Mariane's marriage in Act 4.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)