|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dorine say a woman in love needs to have a heart made of?
2. What does Orgon say when Cleante asks if he will keep his promise at the end of Act 1?
(a) "It is likely".
(d) "It is certain".
3. What does Orgon claim Tartuffe has a "powerful love" for that makes him renounce wealth?
(b) The eternal.
(d) The Lord.
4. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say regarding Tartuffe during his conversation with Mariane in Act 2?
(a) He warms the heart.
(b) His merits shine like a pearl.
(c) He is handsome.
(d) That he should be her husband.
5. In Act 1, what ailment does Dorine tell Orgon his wife suffered while he was gone?
(a) Breathing problems.
(b) A fever.
(c) A fever and headache.
(d) The flu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorine do every time Orgon turns towards her during their argument in Act 2?
2. Who says, "Do you think that I should perpetuate the flame of love that I have felt of late?"
3. Who is Cleante's sister in the play?
4. Who does Dorine describe as "nuts" in Act 1?
5. What is described as "a sly conjecture or a wicked smear"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cleante scold Orgon about at the beginning of Act 5?
2. How does Tartuffe react towards Orgon after Damis reveals that he saw him making advances towards Elmire?
3. How does Tartuffe react after Orgon confronts him about his bad behavior towards Elmire at the end of Act 4?
4. What does Dorine say to Mariane after Orgon leaves the room in Act 2?
5. Describe what happens when Damis reveals himself hiding in the room after Tartuffe makes advances towards Elmire.
6. Describe the interaction between Elmire and Tartuffe when Elmire first enters the room in Act 3.
7. Why does Dorine claim the family's neighbor is slandering them?
8. Describe how Madame Pernelle takes defense of Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 1.
9. How does Dorine react toward Mariane regarding Orgon's request that she marry Tartuffe?
10. What does Cleante say regarding Orgon's temper in Act 5?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)