|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elmire ask Tartuffe to do when he first enters the room in Act 4?
(a) Open the window.
(b) Kiss her hand.
(c) Close the door.
(d) Bring her some water.
2. Who does Elmire talk with when she sends Tartuffe out of the room for a moment in Act 4?
3. Who says, "My breast does not hold a heart of stone"?
4. What reason does Dorine give Damis for not allowing him to hide in the room while Elmire and Tartuffe speak in Act 3?
(a) Because he angers easily.
(b) Because he doesn't need to be nosy.
(c) Because he will ruin the plan.
(d) Because he may be caught.
5. Who does Damis refer to as a "vulgar coxcomb" in Act 3?
6. Where does Tartuffe place his hand on Elmire that causes her to become alarmed during their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) Her hand.
(b) Her knee.
(c) Her arm.
(d) Her neck.
7. Who says, "My entire life has been soiled with evil; it's nothing but a mass of sinful upheaval"?
8. What does Tartuffe give to Dorine when they first begin talking in Act 3?
(a) A note.
(b) A kiss.
(c) A flower.
(d) A handkerchief.
9. Finish the sentence: "And I can't gaze up you, you perfect creature, without worshiping in you both God and ______."
10. Why does Elmire begin coughing during her encounter with Tartuffe in Act 4?
(a) Because she is sick.
(b) To get Orgon's attention.
(c) She wants Tartuffe to leave.
(d) She wants more water.
11. Finish the sentence: "I am cutting you off and what is worse I am leaving you with my heart-felt _______."
12. What does Orgon refer to Dorine, Cleante, Mariane, and Elmire's suggestions that Tartuffe is an imposter in Act 4?
(a) Silly gossip.
(c) Fantasy and fairy tales.
(d) Wishful thinking.
13. Who says, "The mere thought of this ingratitude makes me suffer from a torture so crude"?
14. What does Tartuffe tell his servant to "lock up" before dismissing him in Act 3?
(a) His books and papers.
(b) His shoes and pants.
(c) His hair shirt and scourge.
(d) His hat and cane.
15. Who says, "You have your own reasons for acting so, and I have reasons for my quid-pro-quo"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence: May Heaven forever in its great bounty grant you good health both in soul and _______."
2. Who says, "What can I think about what you're saying except that your blindness is quite dismaying!"?
3. What kind of man does Orgon say Tartuffe is after he sees the advances he makes on Elmire?
4. Finish the sentence: "Defying those with rumors to foment, he wants us together at every _____."
5. What does Orgon say to Mariane after she has made her plea to not marry Tartuffe?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)