|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "My entire life has been soiled with evil; it's nothing but a mass of sinful upheaval"?
2. Who says, "You have your own reasons for acting so, and I have reasons for my quid-pro-quo"?
3. What type of candy does Tartuffe offer Elmire during their encounter in Act 4?
(a) Licorice and mint.
(d) Hard candies.
4. Finish the sentence: "Defying those with rumors to foment, he wants us together at every _____."
5. What does Orgon refer to Dorine, Cleante, Mariane, and Elmire's suggestions that Tartuffe is an imposter in Act 4?
(a) Fantasy and fairy tales.
(b) Silly gossip.
(d) Wishful thinking.
6. Finish the sentence: "Let's join forces, I beg you, and try through skill or cunning to undo the vicious scheme that's left us all so ______."
7. What does Damis do undetected during the conversation between Tartuffe and Elmire in Act 3?
(a) Sneaks out.
(b) Approaches Tartuffe.
(c) Listens at the door.
(d) Opens the closet door.
8. What does Orgon tell Mariane "the contract" of her marriage to Tartuffe will make her?
(a) A holy woman.
(b) A good person.
(c) Very gay.
9. Who says, "Shouldn't a Christian pardon the offense and purge his soul of desire for vengeance"?
10. Who says, "Your desires are too quick to ignite, and you mustn't let passion be overdone"?
11. What does Cleante tell Tartuffe he believes his arguments seem like at the beginning of Act 4?
(b) Tall tales.
12. What does Orgon tell Elmire he has given Tartuffe at the end of Act 4?
(a) His house.
(b) Mariane's hand in marriage.
(c) The deed to his land.
(d) Elmire as his wife.
13. Where does Elmire make Tartuffe go in the middle of their private conversation in Act 4?
(a) Into the living room.
(b) Out the window.
(c) Into the hallway.
(d) Into the kitchen.
14. Where does Damis hide when Elmire and Tartuffe speak privately in Act 3?
(a) Under the piano.
(b) Under a chain.
(c) In the closet.
(d) Behind a plant.
15. Finish the sentence: "And I can't gaze up you, you perfect creature, without worshiping in you both God and ______."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tartuffe give to Dorine when they first begin talking in Act 3?
2. Who will Orgon NOT allow to speak after Mariane has tried to talk him out of making her marry Tartuffe in Act 4?
3. Who is the first character to speak in Act 4?
4. Who is the first person Orgon speaks with after hearing of Tartuffe's advances on Elmire?
5. Who does Orgon say will be his only legal heir at the end of Act 3?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)