|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "May a bolt of lightning now strike me dumb, may everybody treat me like a bum"?
2. Where does Damis hide when Elmire and Tartuffe speak privately in Act 3?
(a) Under a chain.
(b) Under the piano.
(c) In the closet.
(d) Behind a plant.
3. What does Damis do undetected during the conversation between Tartuffe and Elmire in Act 3?
(a) Sneaks out.
(b) Approaches Tartuffe.
(c) Listens at the door.
(d) Opens the closet door.
4. What does Damis tell Dorine he wants to do when Tartuffe and Elmire speak privately in Act 3?
(a) Stop them.
(b) Hide in the room.
(c) Go outside.
(d) Listen at the door.
5. What kind of man does Orgon say Tartuffe is after he sees the advances he makes on Elmire?
6. Finish the sentence: "Let's quickly put it all in writing, and let their envy choke on its own _______."
7. Who does Damis refer to as a "vulgar coxcomb" in Act 3?
8. What does Elmire threaten to do to Tartuffe near the end of their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) Kiss him.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Expose him as a liar.
(d) Tell her husband that he hit on her.
9. Who says, "My entire life has been soiled with evil; it's nothing but a mass of sinful upheaval"?
10. Who says, "My breast does not hold a heart of stone"?
11. Finish the sentence: "You all hate him, and now I see how my wife, children, and maid conspire against his ______."
12. What does Elmire get Orgon to agree to do in order to prove Tartuffe is disloyal in Act 4?
(a) Confront Tartuffe.
(b) Hide in the room while she talks to him.
(c) Stand outside the window while she talks to him.
(d) Read a letter Tartuffe gave her.
13. What does Damis say he wants to do when he comes out of hiding in Act 3?
(a) To kill Tartuffe.
(b) To tell on Elmire.
(c) Tell Orgon of Tartuffe's advances on Elmire.
(d) To throw Tartuffe in the street.
14. What does Elmire make Tartuffe promise to do near the end of their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) Give back Orgon's money.
(b) Leave their home.
(c) Refuse to marry Mariane.
(d) Marry Dorine.
15. Who says, "You have your own reasons for acting so, and I have reasons for my quid-pro-quo"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tartuffe react when Elmire first begins telling him of her passion for him during their private conversation in Act 4?
2. Finish the sentence: "Let's join forces, I beg you, and try through skill or cunning to undo the vicious scheme that's left us all so ______."
3. What name does Orgon frequently address when speaking to Tartuffe near the end of Act 3?
4. Who says, "The mere thought of this ingratitude makes me suffer from a torture so crude"?
5. Who says, "Your desires are too quick to ignite, and you mustn't let passion be overdone"?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)