|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Damis refer to as a "vulgar coxcomb" in Act 3?
2. Who says, "My entire life has been soiled with evil; it's nothing but a mass of sinful upheaval"?
3. Who says, "Don't put on that scrupulous air while your actions injure a rightful heir"?
4. Who says, "The mere thought of this ingratitude makes me suffer from a torture so crude"?
5. How does Tartuffe react when Elmire first begins telling him of her passion for him during their private conversation in Act 4?
(a) He finds it odd.
(b) He tells her of his passion for her.
(c) He is eager.
(d) He leaves the room.
6. What does Damis do undetected during the conversation between Tartuffe and Elmire in Act 3?
(a) Opens the closet door.
(b) Sneaks out.
(c) Approaches Tartuffe.
(d) Listens at the door.
7. Where does Tartuffe place his hand on Elmire that causes her to become alarmed during their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) Her hand.
(b) Her arm.
(c) Her knee.
(d) Her neck.
8. What does Cleante ask Tartuffe to help him with at the beginning of Act 4?
(a) Fixing Orgon's finances.
(b) Talking to Elmire about a problem.
(c) Mending Orgon and Damis' relationship.
(d) Joining Mariane and Valere.
9. Who says, "I'll stoke up the fires of his insolent heart and give a free field to this base upstart"?
10. What does Orgon tell Mariane "the contract" of her marriage to Tartuffe will make her?
(a) Very gay.
(c) A good person.
(d) A holy woman.
11. Why does Elmire begin coughing during her encounter with Tartuffe in Act 4?
(a) She wants Tartuffe to leave.
(b) She wants more water.
(c) To get Orgon's attention.
(d) Because she is sick.
12. What does Tartuffe tell Elmire most of his prayers have been geared to during their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) For her good health.
(b) For Orgon.
(c) For the homeless.
(d) For more wealth.
13. What does Orgon do to Damis near the end of Act 3?
(a) Yells at him.
(b) Hugs him.
(c) Slaps him.
(d) Disowns him.
14. What does Elmire say "aids in our misdirection" when planning her scheme against Tartuffe with Dorine in Act 4?
(c) Idle minds.
15. What does Elmire get Orgon to agree to do in order to prove Tartuffe is disloyal in Act 4?
(a) Read a letter Tartuffe gave her.
(b) Confront Tartuffe.
(c) Stand outside the window while she talks to him.
(d) Hide in the room while she talks to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose arm does Orgon threaten to break near the end of Act 3?
2. Finish the sentence: "And should we always respond to small slips with fire in our eyes and abuse on our ___."
3. Who says, "There is no pleasure in Heaven above sweeter than such words from the lips I love"?
4. What does Damis say he wants to do when he comes out of hiding in Act 3?
5. Finish the sentence: "Defying those with rumors to foment, he wants us together at every _____."
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)