|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Damis say he wants to do when he comes out of hiding in Act 3?
(a) To tell on Elmire.
(b) To throw Tartuffe in the street.
(c) To kill Tartuffe.
(d) Tell Orgon of Tartuffe's advances on Elmire.
2. Who will Orgon NOT allow to speak after Mariane has tried to talk him out of making her marry Tartuffe in Act 4?
(a) Cleante and Dorine.
3. What does Tartuffe do when Orgon confronts him with Damis' claims near the end of Act 3?
(c) Denies it.
(d) Confesses and apologizes.
4. Who says, "You have your own reasons for acting so, and I have reasons for my quid-pro-quo"?
5. What does Damis tell Dorine he wants to do when Tartuffe and Elmire speak privately in Act 3?
(a) Listen at the door.
(b) Go outside.
(c) Stop them.
(d) Hide in the room.
6. Finish the sentence: "And should we always respond to small slips with fire in our eyes and abuse on our ___."
7. Who says, "May a bolt of lightning now strike me dumb, may everybody treat me like a bum"?
8. Who says, "Don't put on that scrupulous air while your actions injure a rightful heir"?
9. Who is Tartuffe talking about when he says, "I wholly forgive him of any blame, and long to restore him to his goon name."?
10. Who is the first person Orgon speaks with after hearing of Tartuffe's advances on Elmire?
11. What does Cleante tell Tartuffe he believes his arguments seem like at the beginning of Act 4?
(d) Tall tales.
12. Who says, "My breast does not hold a heart of stone"?
13. Finish the sentence: "If you take my advice, you will seek a truce and not be a party to this boy's ____."
14. Who does Elmire talk with when she sends Tartuffe out of the room for a moment in Act 4?
15. What does Tartuffe tell Cleante would be "a huge scandal"?
(a) If he refused to marry Mariane.
(b) If he married Mariane.
(c) If he left Orgon's house.
(d) If he married Elmire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence: "I am cutting you off and what is worse I am leaving you with my heart-felt _______."
2. Who says, "Shouldn't a Christian pardon the offense and purge his soul of desire for vengeance"?
3. What reason does Tartuffe give Cleante for leaving him in Act 4?
4. What does Tartuffe say caused his heart to belong to Elmire and made her his queen in Act 3?
5. What type of candy does Tartuffe offer Elmire during their encounter in Act 4?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)