|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cleante tell Tartuffe he believes his arguments seem like at the beginning of Act 4?
(b) Tall tales.
2. Who does Orgon call a traitor near the end of Act 3?
3. Who says, "Don't put on that scrupulous air while your actions injure a rightful heir"?
4. Finish the sentence: "I am cutting you off and what is worse I am leaving you with my heart-felt _______."
5. What does Orgon tell Damis will happen that very night just to see him "bellow" near the end of Act 3?
(a) The death of Tartuffe.
(b) The marriage between Tartuffe and Mariane.
(c) The marriage of Mariane and Valere.
(d) Naming Tartuffe as his heir.
6. What does Mariane tell Orgon she will join if he makes her marry Tartuffe?
(a) A brothel.
(b) A monastery.
(c) A grave.
(d) A convent.
7. Who says, "My breast does not hold a heart of stone"?
8. What does Elmire ask Tartuffe to do when he first enters the room in Act 4?
(a) Open the window.
(b) Close the door.
(c) Bring her some water.
(d) Kiss her hand.
9. What does Damis tell Dorine he wants to do when Tartuffe and Elmire speak privately in Act 3?
(a) Stop them.
(b) Listen at the door.
(c) Go outside.
(d) Hide in the room.
10. Whose arm does Orgon threaten to break near the end of Act 3?
11. What type of candy does Tartuffe offer Elmire during their encounter in Act 4?
(c) Licorice and mint.
(d) Hard candies.
12. Who says, "Shouldn't a Christian pardon the offense and purge his soul of desire for vengeance"?
13. Who does Dorine say has "little ways" of convincing Tartuffe in Act 3?
14. Who is the first person Orgon speaks with after hearing of Tartuffe's advances on Elmire?
15. Finish the sentence: "Satisfy my desire and have no fear; I'll assume the sin and leave your soul ____."
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Dorine give Damis for not allowing him to hide in the room while Elmire and Tartuffe speak in Act 3?
2. Finish the sentence: May Heaven forever in its great bounty grant you good health both in soul and _______."
3. What does Damis do undetected during the conversation between Tartuffe and Elmire in Act 3?
4. What kind of man does Orgon say Tartuffe is after he sees the advances he makes on Elmire?
5. Who says, "My entire life has been soiled with evil; it's nothing but a mass of sinful upheaval"?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)