|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "Your desires are too quick to ignite, and you mustn't let passion be overdone"?
2. Finish the sentence: "If you take my advice, you will seek a truce and not be a party to this boy's ____."
3. Who does Damis refer to as a "vulgar coxcomb" in Act 3?
4. Where in the room does Orgon hide during Elmire and Tartuffe's private discussion in Act 4?
(a) Behind a plant.
(b) Behind the curtains.
(c) In the closet.
(d) Under the table.
5. What does Dorine tell Tartuffe she believes is "out of fashion" in Act 3?
6. Who will Orgon NOT allow to speak after Mariane has tried to talk him out of making her marry Tartuffe in Act 4?
(b) Cleante and Dorine.
7. Finish the sentence: "I am cutting you off and what is worse I am leaving you with my heart-felt _______."
8. What kind of man does Orgon say Tartuffe is after he sees the advances he makes on Elmire?
9. What does Orgon refer to Dorine, Cleante, Mariane, and Elmire's suggestions that Tartuffe is an imposter in Act 4?
(a) Fantasy and fairy tales.
(b) Wishful thinking.
(d) Silly gossip.
10. What name does Orgon frequently address when speaking to Tartuffe near the end of Act 3?
11. Who says, "May a bolt of lightning now strike me dumb, may everybody treat me like a bum"?
12. Finish the sentence: "Satisfy my desire and have no fear; I'll assume the sin and leave your soul ____."
13. How does Tartuffe react when Elmire first begins telling him of her passion for him during their private conversation in Act 4?
(a) He finds it odd.
(b) He is eager.
(c) He leaves the room.
(d) He tells her of his passion for her.
14. Who does Elmire talk with when she sends Tartuffe out of the room for a moment in Act 4?
15. Who does Orgon call a traitor near the end of Act 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elmire begin coughing during her encounter with Tartuffe in Act 4?
2. Who is the first person Orgon speaks with after hearing of Tartuffe's advances on Elmire?
3. What does Tartuffe tell Elmire most of his prayers have been geared to during their private conversation in Act 3?
4. What does Elmire say "aids in our misdirection" when planning her scheme against Tartuffe with Dorine in Act 4?
5. Who is the first character to speak in Act 4?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)