|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of man does Orgon say Tartuffe is after he sees the advances he makes on Elmire?
2. What reason does Dorine give Damis for not allowing him to hide in the room while Elmire and Tartuffe speak in Act 3?
(a) Because he will ruin the plan.
(b) Because he angers easily.
(c) Because he may be caught.
(d) Because he doesn't need to be nosy.
3. What does Tartuffe tell his servant to "lock up" before dismissing him in Act 3?
(a) His hat and cane.
(b) His shoes and pants.
(c) His hair shirt and scourge.
(d) His books and papers.
4. What does Mariane offer for Orgon to give to Tartuffe if she will not have to marry him?
(a) Her inheritance.
(b) Her home.
(c) One night with her.
(d) Dorine's hand in marriage.
5. What does Orgon tell Damis will happen that very night just to see him "bellow" near the end of Act 3?
(a) Naming Tartuffe as his heir.
(b) The marriage of Mariane and Valere.
(c) The death of Tartuffe.
(d) The marriage between Tartuffe and Mariane.
6. What name does Orgon frequently address when speaking to Tartuffe near the end of Act 3?
7. Who says, "May a bolt of lightning now strike me dumb, may everybody treat me like a bum"?
8. What does Tartuffe say caused his heart to belong to Elmire and made her his queen in Act 3?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her wittiness.
(c) Her laughter.
(d) Her supreme splendor.
9. What does Elmire ask Tartuffe to do when he first enters the room in Act 4?
(a) Open the window.
(b) Close the door.
(c) Bring her some water.
(d) Kiss her hand.
10. Who says, "My entire life has been soiled with evil; it's nothing but a mass of sinful upheaval"?
11. Who says, "I'll stoke up the fires of his insolent heart and give a free field to this base upstart"?
12. What words does Tartuffe use to describe himself to Orgon after being confronted by him in Act 3?
(a) Ashamed and sad.
(b) Wicked and culpable.
(c) Sorry and pitiful.
(d) Regretful and worried.
13. Finish the sentence: "Defying those with rumors to foment, he wants us together at every _____."
14. What does Tartuffe do when Orgon confronts him with Damis' claims near the end of Act 3?
(a) Denies it.
(c) Confesses and apologizes.
15. Who does Dorine say has "little ways" of convincing Tartuffe in Act 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Orgon call a traitor near the end of Act 3?
2. What does Damis do undetected during the conversation between Tartuffe and Elmire in Act 3?
3. Finish the sentence: "Satisfy my desire and have no fear; I'll assume the sin and leave your soul ____."
4. Who is the first character to speak in Act 4?
5. What does Tartuffe give to Dorine when they first begin talking in Act 3?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)