|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first person Orgon speaks with after hearing of Tartuffe's advances on Elmire?
2. Who says, "Don't put on that scrupulous air while your actions injure a rightful heir"?
3. What does Tartuffe tell his servant to "lock up" before dismissing him in Act 3?
(a) His hair shirt and scourge.
(b) His hat and cane.
(c) His shoes and pants.
(d) His books and papers.
4. What does Damis tell Dorine he wants to do when Tartuffe and Elmire speak privately in Act 3?
(a) Listen at the door.
(b) Stop them.
(c) Hide in the room.
(d) Go outside.
5. Finish the sentence: "If you take my advice, you will seek a truce and not be a party to this boy's ____."
6. What does Tartuffe say caused his heart to belong to Elmire and made her his queen in Act 3?
(a) Her wittiness.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her supreme splendor.
(d) Her laughter.
7. Finish the sentence: "And should we always respond to small slips with fire in our eyes and abuse on our ___."
8. What does Damis do undetected during the conversation between Tartuffe and Elmire in Act 3?
(a) Opens the closet door.
(b) Approaches Tartuffe.
(c) Listens at the door.
(d) Sneaks out.
9. What does Elmire say "aids in our misdirection" when planning her scheme against Tartuffe with Dorine in Act 4?
(c) Idle minds.
10. Where does Damis hide when Elmire and Tartuffe speak privately in Act 3?
(a) Behind a plant.
(b) Under a chain.
(c) Under the piano.
(d) In the closet.
11. What does Mariane do towards Orgon just before begging him to not make her marry Tartuffe?
(a) Hugs him.
(c) Runs away.
12. Where in the room does Orgon hide during Elmire and Tartuffe's private discussion in Act 4?
(a) Behind a plant.
(b) Under the table.
(c) In the closet.
(d) Behind the curtains.
13. Who does Orgon say will be his only legal heir at the end of Act 3?
14. What name does Orgon frequently address when speaking to Tartuffe near the end of Act 3?
15. Why does Elmire begin coughing during her encounter with Tartuffe in Act 4?
(a) To get Orgon's attention.
(b) Because she is sick.
(c) She wants more water.
(d) She wants Tartuffe to leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence: "Let's join forces, I beg you, and try through skill or cunning to undo the vicious scheme that's left us all so ______."
2. What does Tartuffe claim Orgon's family doubts about him near the end of Act 3?
3. Finish the sentence: "Defying those with rumors to foment, he wants us together at every _____."
4. Who says, "What can I think about what you're saying except that your blindness is quite dismaying!"?
5. Whose arm does Orgon threaten to break near the end of Act 3?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)