|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish the sentence: "If you take my advice, you will seek a truce and not be a party to this boy's ____."
2. What does Damis say he wants to do when he comes out of hiding in Act 3?
(a) Tell Orgon of Tartuffe's advances on Elmire.
(b) To tell on Elmire.
(c) To throw Tartuffe in the street.
(d) To kill Tartuffe.
3. What does Orgon do to Damis near the end of Act 3?
(a) Disowns him.
(b) Hugs him.
(c) Yells at him.
(d) Slaps him.
4. What does Tartuffe tell Cleante would be "a huge scandal"?
(a) If he refused to marry Mariane.
(b) If he married Elmire.
(c) If he left Orgon's house.
(d) If he married Mariane.
5. Who is Tartuffe talking about when he says, "I wholly forgive him of any blame, and long to restore him to his goon name."?
6. Who says, "The mere thought of this ingratitude makes me suffer from a torture so crude"?
7. Finish the sentence: "And should we always respond to small slips with fire in our eyes and abuse on our ___."
8. Who says, "My breast does not hold a heart of stone"?
9. What does Mariane tell Orgon she will join if he makes her marry Tartuffe?
(a) A monastery.
(b) A convent.
(c) A brothel.
(d) A grave.
10. Who says, "I'll stoke up the fires of his insolent heart and give a free field to this base upstart"?
11. Who says, "You have your own reasons for acting so, and I have reasons for my quid-pro-quo"?
12. Who says, "May a bolt of lightning now strike me dumb, may everybody treat me like a bum"?
13. What does Cleante tell Tartuffe he believes his arguments seem like at the beginning of Act 4?
(d) Tall tales.
14. What does Damis tell Dorine he wants to do when Tartuffe and Elmire speak privately in Act 3?
(a) Hide in the room.
(b) Stop them.
(c) Listen at the door.
(d) Go outside.
15. What does Orgon tell Elmire he has given Tartuffe at the end of Act 4?
(a) Elmire as his wife.
(b) Mariane's hand in marriage.
(c) His house.
(d) The deed to his land.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Your desires are too quick to ignite, and you mustn't let passion be overdone"?
2. What does Tartuffe say caused his heart to belong to Elmire and made her his queen in Act 3?
3. What reason does Dorine give Damis for not allowing him to hide in the room while Elmire and Tartuffe speak in Act 3?
4. What does Mariane offer for Orgon to give to Tartuffe if she will not have to marry him?
5. What does Tartuffe tell Elmire most of his prayers have been geared to during their private conversation in Act 3?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)