|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orgon tell Elmire he has given Tartuffe at the end of Act 4?
(a) His house.
(b) Mariane's hand in marriage.
(c) Elmire as his wife.
(d) The deed to his land.
2. What words does Tartuffe use to describe himself to Orgon after being confronted by him in Act 3?
(a) Ashamed and sad.
(b) Wicked and culpable.
(c) Sorry and pitiful.
(d) Regretful and worried.
3. What does Mariane tell Orgon she will join if he makes her marry Tartuffe?
(a) A convent.
(b) A grave.
(c) A monastery.
(d) A brothel.
4. Who says, "I'll stoke up the fires of his insolent heart and give a free field to this base upstart"?
5. Who says, "What can I think about what you're saying except that your blindness is quite dismaying!"?
6. Who says, "My breast does not hold a heart of stone"?
7. What does Tartuffe claim Orgon's family doubts about him near the end of Act 3?
(a) His honesty.
(b) His holiness.
(c) His opinion.
(d) His integrity.
8. What does Mariane offer for Orgon to give to Tartuffe if she will not have to marry him?
(a) Dorine's hand in marriage.
(b) Her home.
(c) Her inheritance.
(d) One night with her.
9. What does Tartuffe tell Cleante would be "a huge scandal"?
(a) If he left Orgon's house.
(b) If he married Elmire.
(c) If he refused to marry Mariane.
(d) If he married Mariane.
10. What reason does Tartuffe give Cleante for leaving him in Act 4?
(a) He needs sleep.
(b) He is tired of him.
(c) There are religious rites that demand his presence.
(d) He is hungry.
11. Who is the first character to speak in Act 4?
12. Who does Dorine say has "little ways" of convincing Tartuffe in Act 3?
13. Who says, "May a bolt of lightning now strike me dumb, may everybody treat me like a bum"?
14. Finish the sentence: "Let's quickly put it all in writing, and let their envy choke on its own _______."
15. Where in the room does Orgon hide during Elmire and Tartuffe's private discussion in Act 4?
(a) Behind a plant.
(b) In the closet.
(c) Behind the curtains.
(d) Under the table.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of man does Orgon say Tartuffe is after he sees the advances he makes on Elmire?
2. Whose arm does Orgon threaten to break near the end of Act 3?
3. What does Orgon do to Damis near the end of Act 3?
4. Finish the sentence: "And should we always respond to small slips with fire in our eyes and abuse on our ___."
5. What does Elmire say "aids in our misdirection" when planning her scheme against Tartuffe with Dorine in Act 4?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)