|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elmire try and talk Damis out of doing in Act 3?
(a) Killing Tartuffe.
(b) Telling Orgon about Tartuffe's advances on her.
(c) Framing Tartuffe.
(d) Kicking Tartuffe out of the house.
2. What kind of man does Orgon say Tartuffe is after he sees the advances he makes on Elmire?
3. What does Elmire ask Tartuffe to do when he first enters the room in Act 4?
(a) Bring her some water.
(b) Kiss her hand.
(c) Open the window.
(d) Close the door.
4. Who says, "You have your own reasons for acting so, and I have reasons for my quid-pro-quo"?
5. What does Mariane offer for Orgon to give to Tartuffe if she will not have to marry him?
(a) Her inheritance.
(b) One night with her.
(c) Her home.
(d) Dorine's hand in marriage.
6. Why does Elmire begin coughing during her encounter with Tartuffe in Act 4?
(a) She wants more water.
(b) She wants Tartuffe to leave.
(c) Because she is sick.
(d) To get Orgon's attention.
7. How does Tartuffe react when Elmire first begins telling him of her passion for him during their private conversation in Act 4?
(a) He leaves the room.
(b) He tells her of his passion for her.
(c) He is eager.
(d) He finds it odd.
8. What time does Tartuffe say it is when he leaves Cleante in Act 4?
(a) Half past three.
(d) Quarter past five.
9. What does Elmire make Tartuffe promise to do near the end of their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) Give back Orgon's money.
(b) Marry Dorine.
(c) Leave their home.
(d) Refuse to marry Mariane.
10. What does Orgon refer to Dorine, Cleante, Mariane, and Elmire's suggestions that Tartuffe is an imposter in Act 4?
(a) Wishful thinking.
(b) Fantasy and fairy tales.
(c) Silly gossip.
11. What does Orgon say to Mariane after she has made her plea to not marry Tartuffe?
(a) "I can't undo this."
(b) "This isn't your decision."
(c) "This is not up for discussion."
(d) "Be firm. This is no time for humanity."
12. What does Tartuffe do when Orgon confronts him with Damis' claims near the end of Act 3?
(a) Confesses and apologizes.
(c) Denies it.
13. Finish the sentence: May Heaven forever in its great bounty grant you good health both in soul and _______."
14. Who does Elmire talk with when she sends Tartuffe out of the room for a moment in Act 4?
15. What does Tartuffe tell Elmire most of his prayers have been geared to during their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) For the homeless.
(b) For her good health.
(c) For Orgon.
(d) For more wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose arm does Orgon threaten to break near the end of Act 3?
2. Who does Dorine say has "little ways" of convincing Tartuffe in Act 3?
3. What does Damis do undetected during the conversation between Tartuffe and Elmire in Act 3?
4. What type of candy does Tartuffe offer Elmire during their encounter in Act 4?
5. What does Orgon tell Mariane "the contract" of her marriage to Tartuffe will make her?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)