|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cleante tell Tartuffe he believes his arguments seem like at the beginning of Act 4?
(c) Tall tales.
2. What words does Tartuffe use to describe himself to Orgon after being confronted by him in Act 3?
(a) Regretful and worried.
(b) Sorry and pitiful.
(c) Wicked and culpable.
(d) Ashamed and sad.
3. Who does Orgon call a traitor near the end of Act 3?
4. What does Mariane tell Orgon she will join if he makes her marry Tartuffe?
(a) A grave.
(b) A convent.
(c) A monastery.
(d) A brothel.
5. Finish the sentence: "And I can't gaze up you, you perfect creature, without worshiping in you both God and ______."
6. Who says, "The mere thought of this ingratitude makes me suffer from a torture so crude"?
7. What does Damis do undetected during the conversation between Tartuffe and Elmire in Act 3?
(a) Sneaks out.
(b) Approaches Tartuffe.
(c) Listens at the door.
(d) Opens the closet door.
8. What does Orgon tell Mariane "the contract" of her marriage to Tartuffe will make her?
(b) A holy woman.
(c) A good person.
(d) Very gay.
9. Who does Damis refer to as a "vulgar coxcomb" in Act 3?
10. Who is the first person Orgon speaks with after hearing of Tartuffe's advances on Elmire?
11. What does Cleante ask Tartuffe to help him with at the beginning of Act 4?
(a) Fixing Orgon's finances.
(b) Talking to Elmire about a problem.
(c) Mending Orgon and Damis' relationship.
(d) Joining Mariane and Valere.
12. What does Tartuffe tell Elmire most of his prayers have been geared to during their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) For Orgon.
(b) For the homeless.
(c) For more wealth.
(d) For her good health.
13. What time does Tartuffe say it is when he leaves Cleante in Act 4?
(c) Quarter past five.
(d) Half past three.
14. What type of candy does Tartuffe offer Elmire during their encounter in Act 4?
(c) Licorice and mint.
(d) Hard candies.
15. What reason does Tartuffe give Cleante for leaving him in Act 4?
(a) There are religious rites that demand his presence.
(b) He is hungry.
(c) He needs sleep.
(d) He is tired of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Your desires are too quick to ignite, and you mustn't let passion be overdone"?
2. What name does Orgon frequently address when speaking to Tartuffe near the end of Act 3?
3. Finish the sentence: May Heaven forever in its great bounty grant you good health both in soul and _______."
4. What does Mariane do towards Orgon just before begging him to not make her marry Tartuffe?
5. Who says, "My breast does not hold a heart of stone"?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)