|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tartuffe tell his servant to "lock up" before dismissing him in Act 3?
(a) His books and papers.
(b) His hair shirt and scourge.
(c) His shoes and pants.
(d) His hat and cane.
2. Where does Tartuffe place his hand on Elmire that causes her to become alarmed during their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) Her knee.
(b) Her hand.
(c) Her neck.
(d) Her arm.
3. What does Orgon tell Elmire he has given Tartuffe at the end of Act 4?
(a) Mariane's hand in marriage.
(b) Elmire as his wife.
(c) His house.
(d) The deed to his land.
4. Finish the sentence: "And should we always respond to small slips with fire in our eyes and abuse on our ___."
5. Finish the sentence: May Heaven forever in its great bounty grant you good health both in soul and _______."
6. What does Damis do undetected during the conversation between Tartuffe and Elmire in Act 3?
(a) Approaches Tartuffe.
(b) Listens at the door.
(c) Opens the closet door.
(d) Sneaks out.
7. What does Elmire say "aids in our misdirection" when planning her scheme against Tartuffe with Dorine in Act 4?
(a) Idle minds.
8. Where in the room does Orgon hide during Elmire and Tartuffe's private discussion in Act 4?
(a) Under the table.
(b) In the closet.
(c) Behind a plant.
(d) Behind the curtains.
9. What does Mariane tell Orgon she will join if he makes her marry Tartuffe?
(a) A grave.
(b) A convent.
(c) A brothel.
(d) A monastery.
10. Finish the sentence: "Let's quickly put it all in writing, and let their envy choke on its own _______."
11. What does Damis say he wants to do when he comes out of hiding in Act 3?
(a) To kill Tartuffe.
(b) Tell Orgon of Tartuffe's advances on Elmire.
(c) To tell on Elmire.
(d) To throw Tartuffe in the street.
12. Finish the sentence: "Let's join forces, I beg you, and try through skill or cunning to undo the vicious scheme that's left us all so ______."
13. Finish the sentence: "You all hate him, and now I see how my wife, children, and maid conspire against his ______."
14. Who says, "The mere thought of this ingratitude makes me suffer from a torture so crude"?
15. What does Elmire get Orgon to agree to do in order to prove Tartuffe is disloyal in Act 4?
(a) Read a letter Tartuffe gave her.
(b) Confront Tartuffe.
(c) Hide in the room while she talks to him.
(d) Stand outside the window while she talks to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elmire begin coughing during her encounter with Tartuffe in Act 4?
2. Finish the sentence: "If you take my advice, you will seek a truce and not be a party to this boy's ____."
3. Who does Elmire talk with when she sends Tartuffe out of the room for a moment in Act 4?
4. Where does Elmire make Tartuffe go in the middle of their private conversation in Act 4?
5. What does Elmire try and talk Damis out of doing in Act 3?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)