|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "My entire life has been soiled with evil; it's nothing but a mass of sinful upheaval"?
2. Finish the sentence: May Heaven forever in its great bounty grant you good health both in soul and _______."
3. Who says, "Your desires are too quick to ignite, and you mustn't let passion be overdone"?
4. What does Dorine tell Tartuffe she believes is "out of fashion" in Act 3?
5. Where does Tartuffe place his hand on Elmire that causes her to become alarmed during their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) Her neck.
(b) Her hand.
(c) Her arm.
(d) Her knee.
6. What does Damis do undetected during the conversation between Tartuffe and Elmire in Act 3?
(a) Listens at the door.
(b) Sneaks out.
(c) Opens the closet door.
(d) Approaches Tartuffe.
7. Finish the sentence: "Defying those with rumors to foment, he wants us together at every _____."
8. What does Tartuffe say caused his heart to belong to Elmire and made her his queen in Act 3?
(a) Her supreme splendor.
(b) Her wittiness.
(c) Her laughter.
(d) Her beauty.
9. Finish the sentence: "And I can't gaze up you, you perfect creature, without worshiping in you both God and ______."
10. What does Damis tell Dorine he wants to do when Tartuffe and Elmire speak privately in Act 3?
(a) Go outside.
(b) Stop them.
(c) Listen at the door.
(d) Hide in the room.
11. What does Elmire say "aids in our misdirection" when planning her scheme against Tartuffe with Dorine in Act 4?
(c) Idle minds.
12. Why does Elmire begin coughing during her encounter with Tartuffe in Act 4?
(a) She wants Tartuffe to leave.
(b) Because she is sick.
(c) To get Orgon's attention.
(d) She wants more water.
13. Where does Elmire make Tartuffe go in the middle of their private conversation in Act 4?
(a) Into the hallway.
(b) Into the living room.
(c) Into the kitchen.
(d) Out the window.
14. Who does Orgon say will be his only legal heir at the end of Act 3?
15. What words does Tartuffe use to describe himself to Orgon after being confronted by him in Act 3?
(a) Ashamed and sad.
(b) Sorry and pitiful.
(c) Wicked and culpable.
(d) Regretful and worried.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elmire try and talk Damis out of doing in Act 3?
2. What does Elmire ask Tartuffe to do when he first enters the room in Act 4?
3. What does Elmire get Orgon to agree to do in order to prove Tartuffe is disloyal in Act 4?
4. Who says, "I'll stoke up the fires of his insolent heart and give a free field to this base upstart"?
5. What reason does Dorine give Damis for not allowing him to hide in the room while Elmire and Tartuffe speak in Act 3?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)