|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who will Orgon NOT allow to speak after Mariane has tried to talk him out of making her marry Tartuffe in Act 4?
(d) Cleante and Dorine.
2. Where does Tartuffe place his hand on Elmire that causes her to become alarmed during their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) Her knee.
(b) Her hand.
(c) Her arm.
(d) Her neck.
3. What does Elmire make Tartuffe promise to do near the end of their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) Give back Orgon's money.
(b) Refuse to marry Mariane.
(c) Leave their home.
(d) Marry Dorine.
4. Who says, "You have your own reasons for acting so, and I have reasons for my quid-pro-quo"?
5. Finish the sentence: "If you take my advice, you will seek a truce and not be a party to this boy's ____."
6. Finish the sentence: "And should we always respond to small slips with fire in our eyes and abuse on our ___."
7. Who says, "What can I think about what you're saying except that your blindness is quite dismaying!"?
8. What reason does Dorine give Damis for not allowing him to hide in the room while Elmire and Tartuffe speak in Act 3?
(a) Because he may be caught.
(b) Because he doesn't need to be nosy.
(c) Because he will ruin the plan.
(d) Because he angers easily.
9. What does Damis do undetected during the conversation between Tartuffe and Elmire in Act 3?
(a) Sneaks out.
(b) Approaches Tartuffe.
(c) Listens at the door.
(d) Opens the closet door.
10. Who does Dorine say has "little ways" of convincing Tartuffe in Act 3?
11. What type of candy does Tartuffe offer Elmire during their encounter in Act 4?
(a) Hard candies.
(c) Licorice and mint.
12. What does Mariane tell Orgon she will join if he makes her marry Tartuffe?
(a) A convent.
(b) A monastery.
(c) A grave.
(d) A brothel.
13. Finish the sentence: "Let's join forces, I beg you, and try through skill or cunning to undo the vicious scheme that's left us all so ______."
14. Who says, "Shouldn't a Christian pardon the offense and purge his soul of desire for vengeance"?
15. What time does Tartuffe say it is when he leaves Cleante in Act 4?
(a) Half past three.
(b) Quarter past five.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "My entire life has been soiled with evil; it's nothing but a mass of sinful upheaval"?
2. Who says, "Don't put on that scrupulous air while your actions injure a rightful heir"?
3. Finish the sentence: "I am cutting you off and what is worse I am leaving you with my heart-felt _______."
4. Who does Elmire talk with when she sends Tartuffe out of the room for a moment in Act 4?
5. What does Tartuffe claim Orgon's family doubts about him near the end of Act 3?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)