|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orgon tell Mariane "the contract" of her marriage to Tartuffe will make her?
(a) Very gay.
(c) A holy woman.
(d) A good person.
2. Where does Damis hide when Elmire and Tartuffe speak privately in Act 3?
(a) Under a chain.
(b) In the closet.
(c) Under the piano.
(d) Behind a plant.
3. Who does Damis refer to as a "vulgar coxcomb" in Act 3?
4. What does Damis do undetected during the conversation between Tartuffe and Elmire in Act 3?
(a) Listens at the door.
(b) Opens the closet door.
(c) Sneaks out.
(d) Approaches Tartuffe.
5. What does Dorine tell Tartuffe she believes is "out of fashion" in Act 3?
6. What does Elmire make Tartuffe promise to do near the end of their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) Refuse to marry Mariane.
(b) Leave their home.
(c) Marry Dorine.
(d) Give back Orgon's money.
7. How does Tartuffe react when Elmire first begins telling him of her passion for him during their private conversation in Act 4?
(a) He is eager.
(b) He tells her of his passion for her.
(c) He leaves the room.
(d) He finds it odd.
8. What does Damis say he wants to do when he comes out of hiding in Act 3?
(a) To throw Tartuffe in the street.
(b) To tell on Elmire.
(c) To kill Tartuffe.
(d) Tell Orgon of Tartuffe's advances on Elmire.
9. What does Orgon tell Elmire he has given Tartuffe at the end of Act 4?
(a) Elmire as his wife.
(b) His house.
(c) The deed to his land.
(d) Mariane's hand in marriage.
10. Where does Tartuffe place his hand on Elmire that causes her to become alarmed during their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) Her hand.
(b) Her neck.
(c) Her knee.
(d) Her arm.
11. Who says, "Your desires are too quick to ignite, and you mustn't let passion be overdone"?
12. Where in the room does Orgon hide during Elmire and Tartuffe's private discussion in Act 4?
(a) Under the table.
(b) Behind the curtains.
(c) Behind a plant.
(d) In the closet.
13. What does Cleante tell Tartuffe he believes his arguments seem like at the beginning of Act 4?
(a) Tall tales.
14. Who does Elmire talk with when she sends Tartuffe out of the room for a moment in Act 4?
15. Finish the sentence: "And I can't gaze up you, you perfect creature, without worshiping in you both God and ______."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dorine say has "little ways" of convincing Tartuffe in Act 3?
2. Finish the sentence: "I am cutting you off and what is worse I am leaving you with my heart-felt _______."
3. What does Tartuffe say caused his heart to belong to Elmire and made her his queen in Act 3?
4. Who says, "My entire life has been soiled with evil; it's nothing but a mass of sinful upheaval"?
5. Who does Orgon say will be his only legal heir at the end of Act 3?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)