|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "Your desires are too quick to ignite, and you mustn't let passion be overdone"?
2. What does Cleante ask Tartuffe to help him with at the beginning of Act 4?
(a) Talking to Elmire about a problem.
(b) Joining Mariane and Valere.
(c) Mending Orgon and Damis' relationship.
(d) Fixing Orgon's finances.
3. What does Orgon say to Mariane after she has made her plea to not marry Tartuffe?
(a) "I can't undo this."
(b) "This isn't your decision."
(c) "This is not up for discussion."
(d) "Be firm. This is no time for humanity."
4. What does Orgon tell Damis will happen that very night just to see him "bellow" near the end of Act 3?
(a) The marriage of Mariane and Valere.
(b) Naming Tartuffe as his heir.
(c) The marriage between Tartuffe and Mariane.
(d) The death of Tartuffe.
5. How does Tartuffe react when Elmire first begins telling him of her passion for him during their private conversation in Act 4?
(a) He leaves the room.
(b) He tells her of his passion for her.
(c) He finds it odd.
(d) He is eager.
6. What does Orgon tell Mariane "the contract" of her marriage to Tartuffe will make her?
(a) Very gay.
(b) A holy woman.
(d) A good person.
7. What does Damis say he wants to do when he comes out of hiding in Act 3?
(a) Tell Orgon of Tartuffe's advances on Elmire.
(b) To kill Tartuffe.
(c) To tell on Elmire.
(d) To throw Tartuffe in the street.
8. Whose arm does Orgon threaten to break near the end of Act 3?
9. Finish the sentence: "Satisfy my desire and have no fear; I'll assume the sin and leave your soul ____."
10. Who says, "I'll stoke up the fires of his insolent heart and give a free field to this base upstart"?
11. What does Elmire threaten to do to Tartuffe near the end of their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) Tell her husband that he hit on her.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Kiss him.
(d) Expose him as a liar.
12. Who does Dorine say has "little ways" of convincing Tartuffe in Act 3?
13. Who does Orgon call a traitor near the end of Act 3?
14. Where in the room does Orgon hide during Elmire and Tartuffe's private discussion in Act 4?
(a) Under the table.
(b) Behind a plant.
(c) Behind the curtains.
(d) In the closet.
15. Who says, "The mere thought of this ingratitude makes me suffer from a torture so crude"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Shouldn't a Christian pardon the offense and purge his soul of desire for vengeance"?
2. What does Elmire say "aids in our misdirection" when planning her scheme against Tartuffe with Dorine in Act 4?
3. Who says, "There is no pleasure in Heaven above sweeter than such words from the lips I love"?
4. What does Tartuffe tell Elmire most of his prayers have been geared to during their private conversation in Act 3?
5. Who says, "What can I think about what you're saying except that your blindness is quite dismaying!"?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)