|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Elmire talk with when she sends Tartuffe out of the room for a moment in Act 4?
2. What reason does Dorine give Damis for not allowing him to hide in the room while Elmire and Tartuffe speak in Act 3?
(a) Because he may be caught.
(b) Because he will ruin the plan.
(c) Because he doesn't need to be nosy.
(d) Because he angers easily.
3. What words does Tartuffe use to describe himself to Orgon after being confronted by him in Act 3?
(a) Wicked and culpable.
(b) Ashamed and sad.
(c) Sorry and pitiful.
(d) Regretful and worried.
4. What does Orgon tell Mariane "the contract" of her marriage to Tartuffe will make her?
(a) Very gay.
(c) A holy woman.
(d) A good person.
5. Who says, "The mere thought of this ingratitude makes me suffer from a torture so crude"?
6. Finish the sentence: "Defying those with rumors to foment, he wants us together at every _____."
7. What does Tartuffe do when Orgon confronts him with Damis' claims near the end of Act 3?
(c) Denies it.
(d) Confesses and apologizes.
8. Who is the first person Orgon speaks with after hearing of Tartuffe's advances on Elmire?
9. What does Tartuffe give to Dorine when they first begin talking in Act 3?
(a) A flower.
(b) A handkerchief.
(c) A kiss.
(d) A note.
10. What does Orgon tell Elmire he has given Tartuffe at the end of Act 4?
(a) Elmire as his wife.
(b) Mariane's hand in marriage.
(c) The deed to his land.
(d) His house.
11. What does Elmire ask Tartuffe to do when he first enters the room in Act 4?
(a) Kiss her hand.
(b) Bring her some water.
(c) Close the door.
(d) Open the window.
12. Whose arm does Orgon threaten to break near the end of Act 3?
13. Who says, "You have your own reasons for acting so, and I have reasons for my quid-pro-quo"?
14. What does Tartuffe say caused his heart to belong to Elmire and made her his queen in Act 3?
(a) Her supreme splendor.
(b) Her wittiness.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) Her laughter.
15. Finish the sentence: "You all hate him, and now I see how my wife, children, and maid conspire against his ______."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tartuffe tell his servant to "lock up" before dismissing him in Act 3?
2. What reason does Tartuffe give Cleante for leaving him in Act 4?
3. Finish the sentence: "Let's quickly put it all in writing, and let their envy choke on its own _______."
4. Who does Orgon say will be his only legal heir at the end of Act 3?
5. What does Orgon do to Damis near the end of Act 3?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)