|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orgon tell Damis will happen that very night just to see him "bellow" near the end of Act 3?
(a) The death of Tartuffe.
(b) The marriage of Mariane and Valere.
(c) Naming Tartuffe as his heir.
(d) The marriage between Tartuffe and Mariane.
2. Where in the room does Orgon hide during Elmire and Tartuffe's private discussion in Act 4?
(a) In the closet.
(b) Under the table.
(c) Behind the curtains.
(d) Behind a plant.
3. What does Cleante tell Tartuffe he believes his arguments seem like at the beginning of Act 4?
(d) Tall tales.
4. What reason does Tartuffe give Cleante for leaving him in Act 4?
(a) He needs sleep.
(b) He is tired of him.
(c) There are religious rites that demand his presence.
(d) He is hungry.
5. What name does Orgon frequently address when speaking to Tartuffe near the end of Act 3?
6. Finish the sentence: "Defying those with rumors to foment, he wants us together at every _____."
7. Who says, "What can I think about what you're saying except that your blindness is quite dismaying!"?
8. What words does Tartuffe use to describe himself to Orgon after being confronted by him in Act 3?
(a) Wicked and culpable.
(b) Sorry and pitiful.
(c) Ashamed and sad.
(d) Regretful and worried.
9. What does Tartuffe give to Dorine when they first begin talking in Act 3?
(a) A flower.
(b) A note.
(c) A kiss.
(d) A handkerchief.
10. What does Elmire make Tartuffe promise to do near the end of their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) Leave their home.
(b) Give back Orgon's money.
(c) Refuse to marry Mariane.
(d) Marry Dorine.
11. Where does Elmire make Tartuffe go in the middle of their private conversation in Act 4?
(a) Into the hallway.
(b) Into the kitchen.
(c) Out the window.
(d) Into the living room.
12. Who says, "My entire life has been soiled with evil; it's nothing but a mass of sinful upheaval"?
13. Where does Damis hide when Elmire and Tartuffe speak privately in Act 3?
(a) In the closet.
(b) Under a chain.
(c) Behind a plant.
(d) Under the piano.
14. What does Tartuffe tell Cleante would be "a huge scandal"?
(a) If he left Orgon's house.
(b) If he married Mariane.
(c) If he married Elmire.
(d) If he refused to marry Mariane.
15. What does Orgon refer to Dorine, Cleante, Mariane, and Elmire's suggestions that Tartuffe is an imposter in Act 4?
(b) Fantasy and fairy tales.
(c) Wishful thinking.
(d) Silly gossip.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of man does Orgon say Tartuffe is after he sees the advances he makes on Elmire?
2. What does Dorine tell Tartuffe she believes is "out of fashion" in Act 3?
3. Finish the sentence: "I am cutting you off and what is worse I am leaving you with my heart-felt _______."
4. Who says, "Don't put on that scrupulous air while your actions injure a rightful heir"?
5. Why does Elmire begin coughing during her encounter with Tartuffe in Act 4?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)