|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tartuffe tell Elmire most of his prayers have been geared to during their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) For the homeless.
(b) For Orgon.
(c) For her good health.
(d) For more wealth.
2. What does Tartuffe say caused his heart to belong to Elmire and made her his queen in Act 3?
(a) Her wittiness.
(b) Her laughter.
(c) Her supreme splendor.
(d) Her beauty.
3. What does Tartuffe claim Orgon's family doubts about him near the end of Act 3?
(a) His integrity.
(b) His opinion.
(c) His honesty.
(d) His holiness.
4. What does Damis tell Dorine he wants to do when Tartuffe and Elmire speak privately in Act 3?
(a) Go outside.
(b) Listen at the door.
(c) Hide in the room.
(d) Stop them.
5. What reason does Tartuffe give Cleante for leaving him in Act 4?
(a) He is hungry.
(b) There are religious rites that demand his presence.
(c) He needs sleep.
(d) He is tired of him.
6. Finish the sentence: May Heaven forever in its great bounty grant you good health both in soul and _______."
7. What does Mariane offer for Orgon to give to Tartuffe if she will not have to marry him?
(a) Her inheritance.
(b) Her home.
(c) One night with her.
(d) Dorine's hand in marriage.
8. What does Tartuffe tell his servant to "lock up" before dismissing him in Act 3?
(a) His hair shirt and scourge.
(b) His shoes and pants.
(c) His books and papers.
(d) His hat and cane.
9. What does Elmire say "aids in our misdirection" when planning her scheme against Tartuffe with Dorine in Act 4?
(c) Idle minds.
10. What type of candy does Tartuffe offer Elmire during their encounter in Act 4?
(a) Hard candies.
(b) Licorice and mint.
11. Who says, "My entire life has been soiled with evil; it's nothing but a mass of sinful upheaval"?
12. What does Dorine tell Tartuffe she believes is "out of fashion" in Act 3?
13. Who says, "Your desires are too quick to ignite, and you mustn't let passion be overdone"?
14. Finish the sentence: "I am cutting you off and what is worse I am leaving you with my heart-felt _______."
15. What reason does Dorine give Damis for not allowing him to hide in the room while Elmire and Tartuffe speak in Act 3?
(a) Because he may be caught.
(b) Because he angers easily.
(c) Because he doesn't need to be nosy.
(d) Because he will ruin the plan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elmire talk with when she sends Tartuffe out of the room for a moment in Act 4?
2. Who does Orgon say will be his only legal heir at the end of Act 3?
3. Who will Orgon NOT allow to speak after Mariane has tried to talk him out of making her marry Tartuffe in Act 4?
4. Who is the first character to speak in Act 4?
5. Finish the sentence: "Defying those with rumors to foment, he wants us together at every _____."
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)