|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elmire begin coughing during her encounter with Tartuffe in Act 4?
(a) She wants more water.
(b) To get Orgon's attention.
(c) Because she is sick.
(d) She wants Tartuffe to leave.
2. Who says, "Your desires are too quick to ignite, and you mustn't let passion be overdone"?
3. What does Dorine tell Tartuffe she believes is "out of fashion" in Act 3?
4. Who is the first character to speak in Act 4?
5. What does Orgon tell Damis will happen that very night just to see him "bellow" near the end of Act 3?
(a) Naming Tartuffe as his heir.
(b) The marriage between Tartuffe and Mariane.
(c) The marriage of Mariane and Valere.
(d) The death of Tartuffe.
6. Finish the sentence: "Defying those with rumors to foment, he wants us together at every _____."
7. Where does Tartuffe place his hand on Elmire that causes her to become alarmed during their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) Her arm.
(b) Her neck.
(c) Her knee.
(d) Her hand.
8. Who says, "Shouldn't a Christian pardon the offense and purge his soul of desire for vengeance"?
9. What does Elmire get Orgon to agree to do in order to prove Tartuffe is disloyal in Act 4?
(a) Hide in the room while she talks to him.
(b) Confront Tartuffe.
(c) Read a letter Tartuffe gave her.
(d) Stand outside the window while she talks to him.
10. Finish the sentence: "And should we always respond to small slips with fire in our eyes and abuse on our ___."
11. Finish the sentence: "And I can't gaze up you, you perfect creature, without worshiping in you both God and ______."
12. What does Tartuffe claim Orgon's family doubts about him near the end of Act 3?
(a) His honesty.
(b) His opinion.
(c) His integrity.
(d) His holiness.
13. What does Damis tell Dorine he wants to do when Tartuffe and Elmire speak privately in Act 3?
(a) Go outside.
(b) Listen at the door.
(c) Hide in the room.
(d) Stop them.
14. Finish the sentence: "Let's quickly put it all in writing, and let their envy choke on its own _______."
15. What does Orgon tell Elmire he has given Tartuffe at the end of Act 4?
(a) Elmire as his wife.
(b) His house.
(c) Mariane's hand in marriage.
(d) The deed to his land.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Don't put on that scrupulous air while your actions injure a rightful heir"?
2. Finish the sentence: "You all hate him, and now I see how my wife, children, and maid conspire against his ______."
3. What does Orgon do to Damis near the end of Act 3?
4. What does Elmire try and talk Damis out of doing in Act 3?
5. Who says, "May a bolt of lightning now strike me dumb, may everybody treat me like a bum"?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)