|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "Your desires are too quick to ignite, and you mustn't let passion be overdone"?
2. What does Orgon refer to Dorine, Cleante, Mariane, and Elmire's suggestions that Tartuffe is an imposter in Act 4?
(a) Silly gossip.
(b) Wishful thinking.
(d) Fantasy and fairy tales.
3. What does Tartuffe say caused his heart to belong to Elmire and made her his queen in Act 3?
(a) Her supreme splendor.
(b) Her wittiness.
(c) Her laughter.
(d) Her beauty.
4. What does Cleante ask Tartuffe to help him with at the beginning of Act 4?
(a) Joining Mariane and Valere.
(b) Fixing Orgon's finances.
(c) Talking to Elmire about a problem.
(d) Mending Orgon and Damis' relationship.
5. What does Tartuffe claim Orgon's family doubts about him near the end of Act 3?
(a) His opinion.
(b) His integrity.
(c) His holiness.
(d) His honesty.
6. Finish the sentence: "You all hate him, and now I see how my wife, children, and maid conspire against his ______."
7. What kind of man does Orgon say Tartuffe is after he sees the advances he makes on Elmire?
8. Who is Tartuffe talking about when he says, "I wholly forgive him of any blame, and long to restore him to his goon name."?
9. Finish the sentence: "Satisfy my desire and have no fear; I'll assume the sin and leave your soul ____."
10. Who says, "I'll stoke up the fires of his insolent heart and give a free field to this base upstart"?
11. What name does Orgon frequently address when speaking to Tartuffe near the end of Act 3?
12. Who does Elmire talk with when she sends Tartuffe out of the room for a moment in Act 4?
13. What does Orgon say to Mariane after she has made her plea to not marry Tartuffe?
(a) "This is not up for discussion."
(b) "Be firm. This is no time for humanity."
(c) "This isn't your decision."
(d) "I can't undo this."
14. Who says, "Don't put on that scrupulous air while your actions injure a rightful heir"?
15. What does Mariane offer for Orgon to give to Tartuffe if she will not have to marry him?
(a) One night with her.
(b) Her inheritance.
(c) Her home.
(d) Dorine's hand in marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elmire threaten to do to Tartuffe near the end of their private conversation in Act 3?
2. Who will Orgon NOT allow to speak after Mariane has tried to talk him out of making her marry Tartuffe in Act 4?
3. Finish the sentence: "Defying those with rumors to foment, he wants us together at every _____."
4. Finish the sentence: May Heaven forever in its great bounty grant you good health both in soul and _______."
5. Finish the sentence: "And should we always respond to small slips with fire in our eyes and abuse on our ___."
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)