|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tartuffe give to Dorine when they first begin talking in Act 3?
(a) A flower.
(b) A kiss.
(c) A note.
(d) A handkerchief.
2. What does Tartuffe claim Orgon's family doubts about him near the end of Act 3?
(a) His honesty.
(b) His integrity.
(c) His holiness.
(d) His opinion.
3. What reason does Dorine give Damis for not allowing him to hide in the room while Elmire and Tartuffe speak in Act 3?
(a) Because he angers easily.
(b) Because he may be caught.
(c) Because he doesn't need to be nosy.
(d) Because he will ruin the plan.
4. What does Orgon tell Mariane "the contract" of her marriage to Tartuffe will make her?
(b) Very gay.
(c) A holy woman.
(d) A good person.
5. What does Elmire say "aids in our misdirection" when planning her scheme against Tartuffe with Dorine in Act 4?
(c) Idle minds.
6. What kind of man does Orgon say Tartuffe is after he sees the advances he makes on Elmire?
7. Who will Orgon NOT allow to speak after Mariane has tried to talk him out of making her marry Tartuffe in Act 4?
(b) Cleante and Dorine.
8. Finish the sentence: "Satisfy my desire and have no fear; I'll assume the sin and leave your soul ____."
9. What does Cleante tell Tartuffe he believes his arguments seem like at the beginning of Act 4?
(c) Tall tales.
10. Finish the sentence: "You all hate him, and now I see how my wife, children, and maid conspire against his ______."
11. What does Damis say he wants to do when he comes out of hiding in Act 3?
(a) Tell Orgon of Tartuffe's advances on Elmire.
(b) To kill Tartuffe.
(c) To throw Tartuffe in the street.
(d) To tell on Elmire.
12. What does Orgon say to Mariane after she has made her plea to not marry Tartuffe?
(a) "This isn't your decision."
(b) "This is not up for discussion."
(c) "Be firm. This is no time for humanity."
(d) "I can't undo this."
13. Finish the sentence: May Heaven forever in its great bounty grant you good health both in soul and _______."
14. What words does Tartuffe use to describe himself to Orgon after being confronted by him in Act 3?
(a) Regretful and worried.
(b) Wicked and culpable.
(c) Ashamed and sad.
(d) Sorry and pitiful.
15. Who says, "Your desires are too quick to ignite, and you mustn't let passion be overdone"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Orgon call a traitor near the end of Act 3?
2. Where does Elmire make Tartuffe go in the middle of their private conversation in Act 4?
3. Where in the room does Orgon hide during Elmire and Tartuffe's private discussion in Act 4?
4. What does Tartuffe tell his servant to "lock up" before dismissing him in Act 3?
5. What does Orgon do to Damis near the end of Act 3?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)