|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "I'll stoke up the fires of his insolent heart and give a free field to this base upstart"?
2. What name does Orgon frequently address when speaking to Tartuffe near the end of Act 3?
3. What does Orgon tell Damis will happen that very night just to see him "bellow" near the end of Act 3?
(a) The marriage between Tartuffe and Mariane.
(b) Naming Tartuffe as his heir.
(c) The marriage of Mariane and Valere.
(d) The death of Tartuffe.
4. What does Tartuffe claim Orgon's family doubts about him near the end of Act 3?
(a) His honesty.
(b) His integrity.
(c) His opinion.
(d) His holiness.
5. Where in the room does Orgon hide during Elmire and Tartuffe's private discussion in Act 4?
(a) In the closet.
(b) Behind the curtains.
(c) Behind a plant.
(d) Under the table.
6. Who says, "My entire life has been soiled with evil; it's nothing but a mass of sinful upheaval"?
7. Who says, "What can I think about what you're saying except that your blindness is quite dismaying!"?
8. Where does Elmire make Tartuffe go in the middle of their private conversation in Act 4?
(a) Into the hallway.
(b) Into the kitchen.
(c) Out the window.
(d) Into the living room.
9. What kind of man does Orgon say Tartuffe is after he sees the advances he makes on Elmire?
10. What does Tartuffe give to Dorine when they first begin talking in Act 3?
(a) A note.
(b) A handkerchief.
(c) A kiss.
(d) A flower.
11. What does Damis tell Dorine he wants to do when Tartuffe and Elmire speak privately in Act 3?
(a) Listen at the door.
(b) Go outside.
(c) Hide in the room.
(d) Stop them.
12. What does Orgon do to Damis near the end of Act 3?
(a) Disowns him.
(b) Slaps him.
(c) Yells at him.
(d) Hugs him.
13. Finish the sentence: "And I can't gaze up you, you perfect creature, without worshiping in you both God and ______."
14. Finish the sentence: "You all hate him, and now I see how my wife, children, and maid conspire against his ______."
15. Who is the first character to speak in Act 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elmire begin coughing during her encounter with Tartuffe in Act 4?
2. What reason does Tartuffe give Cleante for leaving him in Act 4?
3. What does Tartuffe say caused his heart to belong to Elmire and made her his queen in Act 3?
4. Finish the sentence: "Satisfy my desire and have no fear; I'll assume the sin and leave your soul ____."
5. Who says, "Your desires are too quick to ignite, and you mustn't let passion be overdone"?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)