|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Damis hide when Elmire and Tartuffe speak privately in Act 3?
(a) Under a chain.
(b) Behind a plant.
(c) Under the piano.
(d) In the closet.
2. Who says, "You have your own reasons for acting so, and I have reasons for my quid-pro-quo"?
3. What reason does Dorine give Damis for not allowing him to hide in the room while Elmire and Tartuffe speak in Act 3?
(a) Because he angers easily.
(b) Because he will ruin the plan.
(c) Because he may be caught.
(d) Because he doesn't need to be nosy.
4. What does Tartuffe tell Cleante would be "a huge scandal"?
(a) If he married Mariane.
(b) If he refused to marry Mariane.
(c) If he married Elmire.
(d) If he left Orgon's house.
5. Finish the sentence: "Satisfy my desire and have no fear; I'll assume the sin and leave your soul ____."
6. Who is the first character to speak in Act 4?
7. Who says, "May a bolt of lightning now strike me dumb, may everybody treat me like a bum"?
8. What type of candy does Tartuffe offer Elmire during their encounter in Act 4?
(b) Licorice and mint.
(d) Hard candies.
9. What does Tartuffe tell Elmire most of his prayers have been geared to during their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) For her good health.
(b) For the homeless.
(c) For Orgon.
(d) For more wealth.
10. What does Dorine tell Tartuffe she believes is "out of fashion" in Act 3?
11. Where does Tartuffe place his hand on Elmire that causes her to become alarmed during their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) Her neck.
(b) Her hand.
(c) Her knee.
(d) Her arm.
12. What does Orgon refer to Dorine, Cleante, Mariane, and Elmire's suggestions that Tartuffe is an imposter in Act 4?
(a) Wishful thinking.
(b) Fantasy and fairy tales.
(d) Silly gossip.
13. What does Elmire make Tartuffe promise to do near the end of their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) Give back Orgon's money.
(b) Leave their home.
(c) Marry Dorine.
(d) Refuse to marry Mariane.
14. Who does Orgon say will be his only legal heir at the end of Act 3?
15. How does Tartuffe react when Elmire first begins telling him of her passion for him during their private conversation in Act 4?
(a) He finds it odd.
(b) He is eager.
(c) He tells her of his passion for her.
(d) He leaves the room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Tartuffe give Cleante for leaving him in Act 4?
2. What does Tartuffe give to Dorine when they first begin talking in Act 3?
3. What does Tartuffe do when Orgon confronts him with Damis' claims near the end of Act 3?
4. Who will Orgon NOT allow to speak after Mariane has tried to talk him out of making her marry Tartuffe in Act 4?
5. What does Tartuffe claim Orgon's family doubts about him near the end of Act 3?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)