|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Dorine give Damis for not allowing him to hide in the room while Elmire and Tartuffe speak in Act 3?
(a) Because he will ruin the plan.
(b) Because he doesn't need to be nosy.
(c) Because he may be caught.
(d) Because he angers easily.
2. Who does Damis refer to as a "vulgar coxcomb" in Act 3?
3. Whose arm does Orgon threaten to break near the end of Act 3?
4. Who does Orgon say will be his only legal heir at the end of Act 3?
5. What does Tartuffe give to Dorine when they first begin talking in Act 3?
(a) A flower.
(b) A kiss.
(c) A note.
(d) A handkerchief.
6. What does Orgon do to Damis near the end of Act 3?
(a) Disowns him.
(b) Yells at him.
(c) Hugs him.
(d) Slaps him.
7. What does Tartuffe tell Elmire most of his prayers have been geared to during their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) For her good health.
(b) For more wealth.
(c) For the homeless.
(d) For Orgon.
8. What does Tartuffe do when Orgon confronts him with Damis' claims near the end of Act 3?
(b) Confesses and apologizes.
(c) Denies it.
9. Who says, "Don't put on that scrupulous air while your actions injure a rightful heir"?
10. What does Mariane do towards Orgon just before begging him to not make her marry Tartuffe?
(b) Runs away.
(d) Hugs him.
11. Who says, "My entire life has been soiled with evil; it's nothing but a mass of sinful upheaval"?
12. Who says, "Shouldn't a Christian pardon the offense and purge his soul of desire for vengeance"?
13. What does Elmire make Tartuffe promise to do near the end of their private conversation in Act 3?
(a) Refuse to marry Mariane.
(b) Give back Orgon's money.
(c) Leave their home.
(d) Marry Dorine.
14. What name does Orgon frequently address when speaking to Tartuffe near the end of Act 3?
15. Who is Tartuffe talking about when he says, "I wholly forgive him of any blame, and long to restore him to his goon name."?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of candy does Tartuffe offer Elmire during their encounter in Act 4?
2. What does Orgon tell Mariane "the contract" of her marriage to Tartuffe will make her?
3. Finish the sentence: "Let's join forces, I beg you, and try through skill or cunning to undo the vicious scheme that's left us all so ______."
4. What does Damis say he wants to do when he comes out of hiding in Act 3?
5. Where in the room does Orgon hide during Elmire and Tartuffe's private discussion in Act 4?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)