|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does Orgon tell his daughter she must earn his love at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) By being happy.
(b) By working.
(c) By devoting herself to content him.
(d) By moving away.
2. What does Cleante describe Orgon's descriptions of Tartuffe as near the end of Act 1?
(a) Hearty smut.
(b) Dirty lies.
(c) Simply garbage.
(d) Pure rot.
3. Finish the sentence: "A father's love brings true _____".
4. What does Dorine tell Mariane and Valere they will do to prevent the marriage of Mariane and Tartuffe?
(a) "Get witnesses and proof."
(b) "Gather friends and family."
(c) "Wage war on every front."
(d) "Get prepared to fight."
5. What does Orgon tell Cleante when he asks what he should report to Valere regarding Mariane's marriage?
(a) "What you please".
(b) "No more".
(c) "Enough I say".
(d) "I dare say not".
6. What does Orgon say his money could help Tartuffe accomplish during his conversation with Dorine in Act 2?
(a) Clear his debts.
(b) Clothe and feed him.
(c) Restore his land and remove his liens.
(d) Give him a home.
7. What does Dorine say a woman in love needs to have a heart made of?
8. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say regarding Tartuffe during his conversation with Mariane in Act 2?
(a) He is handsome.
(b) His merits shine like a pearl.
(c) He warms the heart.
(d) That he should be her husband.
9. Who hides in the room while Orgon and Mariane talk at the beginning of Act 2?
10. What statement does Orgon continually repeat when discussing Tartuffe with Dorine in Act 1?
(a) "My dear man!"
(b) "Oh my!"
(c) "Poor fellow!"
(d) "Praise be!"
11. Whom does Orgon tell Cleante causes Tartuffe to often become jealous in Act 1?
12. What does Orgon claim he has given Dorine "too much" of during their argument in Act 2?
13. Which character is the first to speak in Act 2?
14. What does Damis ask Cleante to discuss with Orgon just before he comes into the scene in Act 1?
(a) About a job.
(b) About the marriage of Mariane.
(c) About evicting Tartuffe.
(d) About his inheritance.
15. What is Mariane's response to Valere when he asks her what she thinks of her father's decision for her to marry Tartuffe?
(a) "It will not happen."
(b) "It can't be true."
(c) "What do you think?"
(d) "I don't know".
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Madame Pernelle say has "fallen from grace" in Act 1?
2. Who is the author of the play Le Tartuffe?
3. Who is the first character to speak in the play?
4. What is the name of Tartuffe's servant?
5. Finish the sentence: "Monsieur, can you pose as one who's sage, gravely stroking your breaded _____."
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)