|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Madame Pernelle slap in Act 1?
2. In what way does Orgon tell his daughter she must earn his love at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) By working.
(b) By being happy.
(c) By devoting herself to content him.
(d) By moving away.
3. What term does Mariane refer to Tartuffe as just after her father asks if she will marry him?
(a) A rodent.
(b) A hypocrite.
(c) A recluse.
(d) An imposter.
4. What does Orgon say his money could help Tartuffe accomplish during his conversation with Dorine in Act 2?
(a) Clothe and feed him.
(b) Give him a home.
(c) Clear his debts.
(d) Restore his land and remove his liens.
5. What does Orgon say Dorine's "twaddle" has caused him to become?
6. What is the relationship between Elmire and Mariane?
(a) Mother and daughter.
(d) Stepmother and stepdaughter.
7. What is the name of Madame Pernelle's servant in the play?
8. Who is Cleante's sister in the play?
(d) Madame Pernelle.
9. Who is the author of the play Le Tartuffe?
(a) Gustave Flaubert.
(b) Victor Hugo.
(c) Jean Giraudoux.
10. What does Orgon tell Cleante when he asks what he should report to Valere regarding Mariane's marriage?
(a) "I dare say not".
(b) "Enough I say".
(c) "No more".
(d) "What you please".
11. Who does Madame Pernelle say has "fallen from grace" in Act 1?
12. What does Orgon tell Cleante that Tartuffe did with the first donation he gave to him at the end of Act 1?
(a) Spent it on food for others.
(b) Tried to give some back.
(c) Asked for more.
(d) Bought new clothes.
13. Finish the sentence: "Yes, I may think so, but my broken heart foresees you, too, suffering from Love's ____."
14. Who says, "Gossip is singing a little ditty"?
15. Finish the sentence: "Claiming our crime was truly gigantic in mixing what's holy with what's ______".
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish Orgon's description of Tartuffe in Act 2: "He is a holy man and ______ poor."
2. Which two characters converse with one another just after Madame Pernelle leaves in Act 1?
3. What does Cleante say he fears at the end of Act 1?
4. Finish the sentence: "Monsieur, can you pose as one who's sage, gravely stroking your breaded _____."
5. What statement does Orgon continually repeat when discussing Tartuffe with Dorine in Act 1?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)