|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orgon say his money could help Tartuffe accomplish during his conversation with Dorine in Act 2?
(a) Give him a home.
(b) Clear his debts.
(c) Clothe and feed him.
(d) Restore his land and remove his liens.
2. What does Orgon say when Cleante asks if he will keep his promise at the end of Act 1?
(b) "It is likely".
(d) "It is certain".
3. Who says, "You've sure got humane sentiments down pat"?
4. Who calls Tartuffe a "false Capuchin" in the play?
5. Finish Orgon's description of Tartuffe in Act 2: "He is a holy man and ______ poor."
6. What is the name of the neighbor Dorine accuses of slandering the family's house in the play?
7. Who does Cleante question Orgon about near the end of Act 1?
(c) Madame Pernelle.
8. In what way does Orgon tell his daughter she must earn his love at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) By being happy.
(b) By working.
(c) By devoting herself to content him.
(d) By moving away.
9. Who describes Tartuffe as "a base usurper with a power tyrannic"?
10. Finish the sentence: "A father's love brings true _____".
11. Who says, "Gossip is singing a little ditty"?
12. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say regarding Tartuffe during his conversation with Mariane in Act 2?
(a) He warms the heart.
(b) He is handsome.
(c) His merits shine like a pearl.
(d) That he should be her husband.
13. What is the name of Tartuffe's servant?
14. Whom does Madame Pernelle call "a fool of the worst kind"?
15. Finish the sentence: "And now life is sweet as a ______".
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Your injustice to me has a mortal sting!"?
2. Who is described as "fat and flabby, with red lips, and a shining face"?
3. Who is the author of the play Le Tartuffe?
4. What term does Mariane refer to Tartuffe as just after her father asks if she will marry him?
5. Which two characters converse with one another just after Madame Pernelle leaves in Act 1?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)