|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calls Tartuffe a "false Capuchin" in the play?
2. What is the relationship between Elmire and Mariane?
(c) Stepmother and stepdaughter.
(d) Mother and daughter.
3. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say regarding Tartuffe during his conversation with Mariane in Act 2?
(a) His merits shine like a pearl.
(b) That he should be her husband.
(c) He warms the heart.
(d) He is handsome.
4. What does Elmire refer to as a "dreadful chore" to Cleante in Act 1?
(a) Standing up.
(b) Talking to Orgon.
(c) Listening to Tartuffe.
(d) Madame Pernelle's lecture.
5. Who says, "Do you think that I should perpetuate the flame of love that I have felt of late?"
6. What is described as "a sly conjecture or a wicked smear"?
(a) For Mariane to marry Valere.
(b) Tartuffe's reputation.
(c) The rumor of Mariane marrying Tartuffe.
(d) Orgon's opinion of Tartuffe.
7. Who is described as "fat and flabby, with red lips, and a shining face"?
(a) Madame Pernelle.
8. What does Orgon say Dorine's "twaddle" has caused him to become?
9. Who does Dorine describe as "nuts" in Act 1?
(c) Madame Pernelle.
10. What is the name of Madame Pernelle's servant in the play?
11. What does Dorine tell Mariane and Valere they will do to prevent the marriage of Mariane and Tartuffe?
(a) "Get prepared to fight."
(b) "Gather friends and family."
(c) "Wage war on every front."
(d) "Get witnesses and proof."
12. Finish the sentence: "And now life is sweet as a ______".
13. Who describes Tartuffe as "a base usurper with a power tyrannic"?
14. What does Orgon say when Cleante asks if he will keep his promise at the end of Act 1?
(c) "It is certain".
(d) "It is likely".
15. Who does Madame Pernelle say has "fallen from grace" in Act 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Madame Pernelle slap in Act 1?
2. Finish the sentence: "Claiming our crime was truly gigantic in mixing what's holy with what's ______".
3. Who is the first character to speak in the play?
4. What does Orgon claim Tartuffe has a "powerful love" for that makes him renounce wealth?
5. Finish the sentence: "Monsieur, can you pose as one who's sage, gravely stroking your breaded _____."
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)