|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orgon claim Tartuffe has a "powerful love" for that makes him renounce wealth?
(c) The Lord.
(d) The eternal.
2. What is the relationship between Damis and Mariane?
(a) Uncle and niece.
(b) Brother and sister.
(d) Husband and wife.
3. Which of the following people does Dorine NOT tell Mariane and Valere to speak with regarding their plans of stopping Mariane and Tartuffe's marriage?
(a) Their friends.
4. Finish the sentence: "Yes, I may think so, but my broken heart foresees you, too, suffering from Love's ____."
5. Who says, "Gossip is singing a little ditty"?
6. What is Mariane's response to Orgon when he asks her if she will marry Tartuffe in Act 2?
(a) "Out of the question, father, I assure you!"
(b) "Whatever your wish father."
(c) "I dare not!"
(d) "It is your will."
7. What question does Dorine ask Mariane just after Orgon leaves the room in Act 2?
(a) "Have you entirely lost your voice and heart?"
(b) "What's going to happen?"
(c) "What do you think of this?"
(d) "Is this what you want?"
8. Who does Madame Pernelle say has "fallen from grace" in Act 1?
9. Who is the first character to speak in the play?
(a) Madame Pernelle.
10. What does Orgon say Dorine's "twaddle" has caused him to become?
11. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say regarding Tartuffe during his conversation with Mariane in Act 2?
(a) He warms the heart.
(b) His merits shine like a pearl.
(c) He is handsome.
(d) That he should be her husband.
12. Which two characters converse with one another just after Madame Pernelle leaves in Act 1?
(a) Elmire and Dorine.
(b) Cleante and Dorine.
(c) Elmire and Orgon.
(d) Orgon and Tartuffe.
13. Which character is the first to speak in Act 2?
14. Who tells Orgon to keep his "anger within measure" in Act 2?
15. What does Cleante say he fears at the end of Act 1?
(a) That Orgon will disown him.
(b) That Orgon will break his promise.
(c) That Tartuffe will become Orgon's heir.
(d) That Tartuffe will marry Elmire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Elmire and Mariane?
2. Whom does Madame Pernelle call "a bold lassy" in Act 1?
3. What does Elmire refer to as a "dreadful chore" to Cleante in Act 1?
4. Who says, "Your injustice to me has a mortal sting!"?
5. Who calls Tartuffe a "false Capuchin" in the play?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)