|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who describes Tartuffe as "a base usurper with a power tyrannic"?
2. Finish the sentence: "But I've just heard word of this marriage, and I trust it is only ____."
3. Whom does Madame Pernelle call "a fool of the worst kind"?
4. What term does Mariane refer to Tartuffe as just after her father asks if she will marry him?
(a) A recluse.
(b) A rodent.
(c) An imposter.
(d) A hypocrite.
5. Who tells Orgon to keep his "anger within measure" in Act 2?
6. What does Dorine tell Mariane and Valere at the very end of Act 2?
(a) "You go off that way, and you go the other."
(b) "Go off together happily."
(c) "Make up and celebrate."
(d) "Go be happy and conspire."
7. Finish the sentence: "Yes, I may think so, but my broken heart foresees you, too, suffering from Love's ____."
8. What derogatory name does Madame Pernelle call her servant just before leaving the house in Act 1?
(a) A dog.
(b) A lass.
(c) A slut.
(d) A waste.
9. What is Mariane's response to Valere when he asks her what she thinks of her father's decision for her to marry Tartuffe?
(a) "I don't know".
(b) "It can't be true."
(c) "It will not happen."
(d) "What do you think?"
10. What does Orgon claim Tartuffe has a "powerful love" for that makes him renounce wealth?
(b) The eternal.
(c) The Lord.
11. In which manner does Orgon say he needs to speak with his daughter in Act 2?
12. Who asks, "Are you mocking us with your silly plot"?
13. Which two characters converse with one another just after Madame Pernelle leaves in Act 1?
(a) Elmire and Orgon.
(b) Cleante and Dorine.
(c) Orgon and Tartuffe.
(d) Elmire and Dorine.
14. In what way does Orgon tell his daughter she must earn his love at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) By working.
(b) By being happy.
(c) By moving away.
(d) By devoting herself to content him.
15. Which of the following people does Dorine NOT tell Mariane and Valere to speak with regarding their plans of stopping Mariane and Tartuffe's marriage?
(d) Their friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Madame Pernelle say has "fallen from grace" in Act 1?
2. What does Orgon claim he has given Dorine "too much" of during their argument in Act 2?
3. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say regarding Tartuffe during his conversation with Mariane in Act 2?
4. What does Cleante describe Orgon's descriptions of Tartuffe as near the end of Act 1?
5. Who says, "You've sure got humane sentiments down pat"?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)