|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is described as "a holy man whom all should hear"?
2. What derogatory name does Madame Pernelle call her servant just before leaving the house in Act 1?
(a) A dog.
(b) A lass.
(c) A waste.
(d) A slut.
3. What is the name of Madame Pernelle's servant in the play?
4. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say regarding Tartuffe during his conversation with Mariane in Act 2?
(a) He is handsome.
(b) His merits shine like a pearl.
(c) That he should be her husband.
(d) He warms the heart.
5. Who calls Tartuffe a "false Capuchin" in the play?
6. What does Orgon look in just before starting his conversation with Mariane?
(a) His coat pocket.
(b) The closet.
(c) The hallway.
(d) A desk drawer.
7. Whom does Madame Pernelle call "a fool of the worst kind"?
8. What does Orgon tell Cleante when he asks what he should report to Valere regarding Mariane's marriage?
(a) "I dare say not".
(b) "No more".
(c) "What you please".
(d) "Enough I say".
9. What does Orgon call Dorine when she claims that he is lying about making his daughter marry Tartuffe?
(a) A snake.
(b) A rat.
(c) A shrew.
(d) A wench.
10. Who says, ""I think, perchance, you've lost your mind through extravagance" in Act 2?
11. Who says, "You've sure got humane sentiments down pat"?
12. What is the name of Tartuffe's servant?
13. Who does Madame Pernelle say has "fallen from grace" in Act 1?
14. Whom does Madame Pernelle call "a bold lassy" in Act 1?
15. Who does Dorine describe as "nuts" in Act 1?
(a) Madame Pernelle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Dorine ask Mariane just after Orgon leaves the room in Act 2?
2. Finish the sentence: "But I've just heard word of this marriage, and I trust it is only ____."
3. Which of the following people does Dorine NOT tell Mariane and Valere to speak with regarding their plans of stopping Mariane and Tartuffe's marriage?
4. What is the name of the neighbor Dorine accuses of slandering the family's house in the play?
5. Who asks, "Are you mocking us with your silly plot"?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)