|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calls Tartuffe a "false Capuchin" in the play?
2. What does Dorine say a woman in love needs to have a heart made of?
3. What does Dorine tell Mariane and Valere they will do to prevent the marriage of Mariane and Tartuffe?
(a) "Wage war on every front."
(b) "Get witnesses and proof."
(c) "Get prepared to fight."
(d) "Gather friends and family."
4. What does Orgon tell Cleante when he asks what he should report to Valere regarding Mariane's marriage?
(a) "I dare say not".
(b) "No more".
(c) "What you please".
(d) "Enough I say".
5. Whom does Madame Pernelle call "a fool of the worst kind"?
6. What does Orgon call Dorine when she claims that he is lying about making his daughter marry Tartuffe?
(a) A snake.
(b) A wench.
(c) A shrew.
(d) A rat.
7. Who is described as "a holy man whom all should hear"?
8. Who does Dorine ask Mariane if she loves in Act 2?
9. Who does Cleante question Orgon about near the end of Act 1?
(b) Madame Pernelle.
10. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say regarding Tartuffe during his conversation with Mariane in Act 2?
(a) He warms the heart.
(b) He is handsome.
(c) That he should be her husband.
(d) His merits shine like a pearl.
11. In which manner does Orgon say he needs to speak with his daughter in Act 2?
12. What does Dorine tell Mariane and Valere at the very end of Act 2?
(a) "Make up and celebrate."
(b) "Go off together happily."
(c) "You go off that way, and you go the other."
(d) "Go be happy and conspire."
13. What is the relationship between Elmire and Mariane?
(b) Stepmother and stepdaughter.
(c) Mother and daughter.
14. Who does Dorine describe as "nuts" in Act 1?
(a) Madame Pernelle.
15. Who says, "Do you think that I should perpetuate the flame of love that I have felt of late?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hides in the room while Orgon and Mariane talk at the beginning of Act 2?
2. What does Orgon tell Cleante God told him to do regarding Tartuffe?
3. Who asks, "Are you mocking us with your silly plot"?
4. Who is described as "fat and flabby, with red lips, and a shining face"?
5. What is described as "a sly conjecture or a wicked smear"?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)