|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish the sentence: "Yes, I may think so, but my broken heart foresees you, too, suffering from Love's ____."
2. What does Orgon tell Cleante God told him to do regarding Tartuffe?
(a) Feed him.
(b) Give him work.
(c) Take him into his home.
(d) Clothe him.
3. Which two characters converse with one another just after Madame Pernelle leaves in Act 1?
(a) Elmire and Orgon.
(b) Elmire and Dorine.
(c) Orgon and Tartuffe.
(d) Cleante and Dorine.
4. What does Dorine say a woman in love needs to have a heart made of?
5. What is the name of the neighbor Dorine accuses of slandering the family's house in the play?
6. Finish the sentence: "He is a man of repute in the land of his birth, and, even as he is, he's a man of ______."
7. Who is the author of the play Le Tartuffe?
(a) Jean Giraudoux.
(b) Victor Hugo.
(c) Gustave Flaubert.
8. Whom does Madame Pernelle call "a fool of the worst kind"?
9. What does Orgon call Dorine when she claims that he is lying about making his daughter marry Tartuffe?
(a) A wench.
(b) A rat.
(c) A shrew.
(d) A snake.
10. Who is described as "fat and flabby, with red lips, and a shining face"?
(b) Madame Pernelle.
11. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say Tartuffe did the first time they met?
12. Whom does Orgon tell Cleante causes Tartuffe to often become jealous in Act 1?
13. What does Cleante say he fears at the end of Act 1?
(a) That Tartuffe will marry Elmire.
(b) That Tartuffe will become Orgon's heir.
(c) That Orgon will break his promise.
(d) That Orgon will disown him.
14. Finish Orgon's description of Tartuffe in Act 2: "He is a holy man and ______ poor."
15. Who does Madame Pernelle say has "fallen from grace" in Act 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mariane describe as having "with the strongest passion"?
2. Who is described as "a holy man whom all should hear"?
3. Whom does Cleante say wants to marry Mariane during his conversation with Orgon near the end of Act 1?
4. Who says, "You've sure got humane sentiments down pat"?
5. What question does Dorine ask Mariane just after Orgon leaves the room in Act 2?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)