|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is described as "a holy man whom all should hear"?
2. What derogatory name does Madame Pernelle call her servant just before leaving the house in Act 1?
(a) A waste.
(b) A slut.
(c) A dog.
(d) A lass.
3. Whom does Madame Pernelle call "a fool of the worst kind"?
4. What is Mariane's response to Valere when he asks her what she thinks of her father's decision for her to marry Tartuffe?
(a) "It can't be true."
(b) "What do you think?"
(c) "I don't know".
(d) "It will not happen."
5. Finish the sentence: "Claiming our crime was truly gigantic in mixing what's holy with what's ______".
6. Which two characters converse with one another just after Madame Pernelle leaves in Act 1?
(a) Orgon and Tartuffe.
(b) Elmire and Dorine.
(c) Elmire and Orgon.
(d) Cleante and Dorine.
7. Who does Dorine describe as "nuts" in Act 1?
(b) Madame Pernelle.
8. What does Cleante describe Orgon's descriptions of Tartuffe as near the end of Act 1?
(a) Simply garbage.
(b) Pure rot.
(c) Dirty lies.
(d) Hearty smut.
9. Who does Madame Pernelle say has "fallen from grace" in Act 1?
10. Which of the following people does Dorine NOT tell Mariane and Valere to speak with regarding their plans of stopping Mariane and Tartuffe's marriage?
(b) Their friends.
11. Finish the sentence: "A father's love brings true _____".
12. What does Orgon tell Cleante when he asks what he should report to Valere regarding Mariane's marriage?
(a) "I dare say not".
(b) "What you please".
(c) "No more".
(d) "Enough I say".
13. What does Dorine say a woman in love needs to have a heart made of?
14. What does Dorine tell Mariane and Valere they will do to prevent the marriage of Mariane and Tartuffe?
(a) "Wage war on every front."
(b) "Gather friends and family."
(c) "Get prepared to fight."
(d) "Get witnesses and proof."
15. In Act 1, what ailment does Dorine tell Orgon his wife suffered while he was gone?
(a) Breathing problems.
(b) A fever and headache.
(c) A fever.
(d) The flu.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say regarding Tartuffe during his conversation with Mariane in Act 2?
2. Who says, "Do you think that I should perpetuate the flame of love that I have felt of late?"
3. What does Mariane describe as having "with the strongest passion"?
4. What does Orgon claim Tartuffe has a "powerful love" for that makes him renounce wealth?
5. Who is Cleante's sister in the play?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)