|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Madame Pernelle slap in Act 1?
2. What does Dorine refer to Tartuffe as during her argument with Orgon in Act 2?
(b) Loser and scum.
(c) Bum and bigot.
(d) Rude and unseemly.
3. What is the relationship between Elmire and Mariane?
(b) Mother and daughter.
(c) Stepmother and stepdaughter.
4. Who says, "Gossip is singing a little ditty"?
5. Who is the first character to speak in the play?
(d) Madame Pernelle.
6. What does Elmire refer to as a "dreadful chore" to Cleante in Act 1?
(a) Madame Pernelle's lecture.
(b) Standing up.
(c) Talking to Orgon.
(d) Listening to Tartuffe.
7. Who tells Orgon to keep his "anger within measure" in Act 2?
8. Who does Dorine ask Mariane if she loves in Act 2?
9. Who says, "Your injustice to me has a mortal sting!"?
10. What does Dorine tell Mariane and Valere at the very end of Act 2?
(a) "Make up and celebrate."
(b) "You go off that way, and you go the other."
(c) "Go be happy and conspire."
(d) "Go off together happily."
11. Finish the sentence: "Claiming our crime was truly gigantic in mixing what's holy with what's ______".
12. What does Orgon tell Cleante when he asks what he should report to Valere regarding Mariane's marriage?
(a) "No more".
(b) "I dare say not".
(c) "Enough I say".
(d) "What you please".
13. What question does Dorine ask Mariane just after Orgon leaves the room in Act 2?
(a) "What's going to happen?"
(b) "Is this what you want?"
(c) "What do you think of this?"
(d) "Have you entirely lost your voice and heart?"
14. What does Orgon tell Cleante that Tartuffe did with the first donation he gave to him at the end of Act 1?
(a) Bought new clothes.
(b) Tried to give some back.
(c) Asked for more.
(d) Spent it on food for others.
15. Finish the sentence: "A father's love brings true _____".
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence: "But I've just heard word of this marriage, and I trust it is only ____."
2. What does Orgon say Dorine's "twaddle" has caused him to become?
3. What does Orgon look in just before starting his conversation with Mariane?
4. What does Cleante describe Orgon's descriptions of Tartuffe as near the end of Act 1?
5. Who is described as "fat and flabby, with red lips, and a shining face"?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)