|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Elmire and Mariane?
(a) Stepmother and stepdaughter.
(d) Mother and daughter.
2. What does Orgon tell Cleante God told him to do regarding Tartuffe?
(a) Give him work.
(b) Take him into his home.
(c) Feed him.
(d) Clothe him.
3. What does Cleante describe Orgon's descriptions of Tartuffe as near the end of Act 1?
(a) Pure rot.
(b) Dirty lies.
(c) Simply garbage.
(d) Hearty smut.
4. Who does Dorine describe as "nuts" in Act 1?
(d) Madame Pernelle.
5. Which character is the first to speak in Act 2?
6. Who is the author of the play Le Tartuffe?
(a) Jean Giraudoux.
(b) Victor Hugo.
(c) Gustave Flaubert.
7. Who does Madame Pernelle slap in Act 1?
8. Finish the sentence: "Monsieur, can you pose as one who's sage, gravely stroking your breaded _____."
9. What does Dorine refer to Tartuffe as during her argument with Orgon in Act 2?
(a) Loser and scum.
(b) Rude and unseemly.
(c) Bum and bigot.
10. What does Elmire refer to as a "dreadful chore" to Cleante in Act 1?
(a) Listening to Tartuffe.
(b) Madame Pernelle's lecture.
(c) Talking to Orgon.
(d) Standing up.
11. Who is the first character to speak in the play?
(d) Madame Pernelle.
12. Who says, "Do you think that I should perpetuate the flame of love that I have felt of late?"
13. What derogatory name does Madame Pernelle call her servant just before leaving the house in Act 1?
(a) A lass.
(b) A waste.
(c) A slut.
(d) A dog.
14. What does Orgon say when Cleante asks if he will keep his promise at the end of Act 1?
(a) "It is certain".
(d) "It is likely".
15. What statement does Orgon continually repeat when discussing Tartuffe with Dorine in Act 1?
(a) "Poor fellow!"
(b) "My dear man!"
(c) "Oh my!"
(d) "Praise be!"
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence: "But I've just heard word of this marriage, and I trust it is only ____."
2. Whom does Orgon tell Cleante causes Tartuffe to often become jealous in Act 1?
3. What is Mariane's response to Orgon when he asks her if she will marry Tartuffe in Act 2?
4. What does Orgon say Dorine's "twaddle" has caused him to become?
5. What does Orgon tell Cleante when he asks what he should report to Valere regarding Mariane's marriage?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)