|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish the sentence: "But I've just heard word of this marriage, and I trust it is only ____."
2. In which manner does Orgon say he needs to speak with his daughter in Act 2?
3. What is the name of the neighbor Dorine accuses of slandering the family's house in the play?
4. Who tells Orgon to keep his "anger within measure" in Act 2?
5. What does Dorine say a woman in love needs to have a heart made of?
6. Whom does Madame Pernelle call "a bold lassy" in Act 1?
7. Who is described as "fat and flabby, with red lips, and a shining face"?
(c) Madame Pernelle.
8. What is described as "a sly conjecture or a wicked smear"?
(a) Tartuffe's reputation.
(b) For Mariane to marry Valere.
(c) The rumor of Mariane marrying Tartuffe.
(d) Orgon's opinion of Tartuffe.
9. Who asks, "Are you mocking us with your silly plot"?
10. Who says, "Your injustice to me has a mortal sting!"?
11. What does Damis ask Cleante to discuss with Orgon just before he comes into the scene in Act 1?
(a) About the marriage of Mariane.
(b) About his inheritance.
(c) About a job.
(d) About evicting Tartuffe.
12. What does Cleante say he fears at the end of Act 1?
(a) That Orgon will disown him.
(b) That Tartuffe will marry Elmire.
(c) That Tartuffe will become Orgon's heir.
(d) That Orgon will break his promise.
13. Who is the author of the play Le Tartuffe?
(b) Gustave Flaubert.
(c) Jean Giraudoux.
(d) Victor Hugo.
14. Whom does Orgon tell Cleante causes Tartuffe to often become jealous in Act 1?
15. What is Mariane's response to Orgon when he asks her if she will marry Tartuffe in Act 2?
(a) "I dare not!"
(b) "Whatever your wish father."
(c) "It is your will."
(d) "Out of the question, father, I assure you!"
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say Tartuffe did the first time they met?
2. Finish Orgon's description of Tartuffe in Act 2: "He is a holy man and ______ poor."
3. What does Orgon call Dorine when she claims that he is lying about making his daughter marry Tartuffe?
4. What term does Mariane refer to Tartuffe as just after her father asks if she will marry him?
5. What is the name of Madame Pernelle's servant in the play?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)