|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mariane's response to Valere when he asks her what she thinks of her father's decision for her to marry Tartuffe?
(a) "I don't know".
(b) "What do you think?"
(c) "It will not happen."
(d) "It can't be true."
2. Who calls Tartuffe a "false Capuchin" in the play?
3. What does Orgon say when Cleante asks if he will keep his promise at the end of Act 1?
(a) "It is certain".
(d) "It is likely".
4. What does Orgon say his money could help Tartuffe accomplish during his conversation with Dorine in Act 2?
(a) Restore his land and remove his liens.
(b) Give him a home.
(c) Clothe and feed him.
(d) Clear his debts.
5. Whom does Madame Pernelle call "a bold lassy" in Act 1?
6. What is Mariane's response to Orgon when he asks her if she will marry Tartuffe in Act 2?
(a) "Out of the question, father, I assure you!"
(b) "I dare not!"
(c) "It is your will."
(d) "Whatever your wish father."
7. What is the name of Tartuffe's servant?
8. Who is the author of the play Le Tartuffe?
(b) Gustave Flaubert.
(c) Jean Giraudoux.
(d) Victor Hugo.
9. Finish the sentence: "Yes, I may think so, but my broken heart foresees you, too, suffering from Love's ____."
10. Who tells Orgon to keep his "anger within measure" in Act 2?
11. What does Cleante describe Orgon's descriptions of Tartuffe as near the end of Act 1?
(a) Dirty lies.
(b) Simply garbage.
(c) Hearty smut.
(d) Pure rot.
12. What does Dorine say a woman in love needs to have a heart made of?
13. Who does Madame Pernelle slap in Act 1?
14. What does Orgon claim Tartuffe has a "powerful love" for that makes him renounce wealth?
(a) The eternal.
(c) The Lord.
15. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say regarding Tartuffe during his conversation with Mariane in Act 2?
(a) He warms the heart.
(b) That he should be her husband.
(c) His merits shine like a pearl.
(d) He is handsome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Mariane refer to Tartuffe as just after her father asks if she will marry him?
2. What does Damis ask Cleante to discuss with Orgon just before he comes into the scene in Act 1?
3. What does Orgon look in just before starting his conversation with Mariane?
4. Who says, ""I think, perchance, you've lost your mind through extravagance" in Act 2?
5. In which manner does Orgon say he needs to speak with his daughter in Act 2?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)