|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orgon say when Cleante asks if he will keep his promise at the end of Act 1?
(a) "It is certain".
(b) "It is likely".
2. Who says, "Do you think that I should perpetuate the flame of love that I have felt of late?"
3. What is the relationship between Damis and Mariane?
(b) Uncle and niece.
(c) Brother and sister.
(d) Husband and wife.
4. Whom does Orgon tell Cleante causes Tartuffe to often become jealous in Act 1?
5. What does Dorine tell Mariane and Valere at the very end of Act 2?
(a) "Go be happy and conspire."
(b) "Make up and celebrate."
(c) "You go off that way, and you go the other."
(d) "Go off together happily."
6. In what way does Orgon tell his daughter she must earn his love at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) By devoting herself to content him.
(b) By being happy.
(c) By moving away.
(d) By working.
7. Whom does Cleante say wants to marry Mariane during his conversation with Orgon near the end of Act 1?
8. Who describes Tartuffe as "a base usurper with a power tyrannic"?
9. What does Orgon look in just before starting his conversation with Mariane?
(a) The hallway.
(b) His coat pocket.
(c) The closet.
(d) A desk drawer.
10. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say regarding Tartuffe during his conversation with Mariane in Act 2?
(a) He is handsome.
(b) He warms the heart.
(c) That he should be her husband.
(d) His merits shine like a pearl.
11. What term does Mariane refer to Tartuffe as just after her father asks if she will marry him?
(a) A rodent.
(b) A hypocrite.
(c) A recluse.
(d) An imposter.
12. Who does Dorine describe as "nuts" in Act 1?
(c) Madame Pernelle.
13. Finish the sentence: "He is a man of repute in the land of his birth, and, even as he is, he's a man of ______."
14. Whom does Madame Pernelle call "a bold lassy" in Act 1?
15. Whom does Madame Pernelle call "a fool of the worst kind"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orgon tell Cleante God told him to do regarding Tartuffe?
2. What question does Dorine ask Mariane just after Orgon leaves the room in Act 2?
3. What is the name of the neighbor Dorine accuses of slandering the family's house in the play?
4. What is the name of Madame Pernelle's servant in the play?
5. Who is Cleante's sister in the play?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)