|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What derogatory name does Madame Pernelle call her servant just before leaving the house in Act 1?
(a) A slut.
(b) A dog.
(c) A lass.
(d) A waste.
2. Who tells Orgon to keep his "anger within measure" in Act 2?
3. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say Tartuffe did the first time they met?
4. Who does Dorine ask Mariane if she loves in Act 2?
5. Whom does Cleante say wants to marry Mariane during his conversation with Orgon near the end of Act 1?
6. What does Cleante say he fears at the end of Act 1?
(a) That Orgon will break his promise.
(b) That Tartuffe will become Orgon's heir.
(c) That Orgon will disown him.
(d) That Tartuffe will marry Elmire.
7. Who calls Tartuffe a "false Capuchin" in the play?
8. Who says, "Do you think that I should perpetuate the flame of love that I have felt of late?"
9. Which two characters converse with one another just after Madame Pernelle leaves in Act 1?
(a) Cleante and Dorine.
(b) Elmire and Orgon.
(c) Orgon and Tartuffe.
(d) Elmire and Dorine.
10. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say regarding Tartuffe during his conversation with Mariane in Act 2?
(a) He is handsome.
(b) His merits shine like a pearl.
(c) He warms the heart.
(d) That he should be her husband.
11. In what way does Orgon tell his daughter she must earn his love at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) By working.
(b) By moving away.
(c) By devoting herself to content him.
(d) By being happy.
12. Finish the sentence: "Monsieur, can you pose as one who's sage, gravely stroking your breaded _____."
13. What does Orgon tell Cleante God told him to do regarding Tartuffe?
(a) Clothe him.
(b) Take him into his home.
(c) Feed him.
(d) Give him work.
14. What term does Mariane refer to Tartuffe as just after her father asks if she will marry him?
(a) A rodent.
(b) A recluse.
(c) A hypocrite.
(d) An imposter.
15. Who does Madame Pernelle slap in Act 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, what ailment does Dorine tell Orgon his wife suffered while he was gone?
2. Which character is the first to speak in Act 2?
3. Who is described as "fat and flabby, with red lips, and a shining face"?
4. In which manner does Orgon say he needs to speak with his daughter in Act 2?
5. What does Cleante describe Orgon's descriptions of Tartuffe as near the end of Act 1?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)