|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Damis and Mariane?
(a) Uncle and niece.
(b) Husband and wife.
(c) Brother and sister.
2. Who is described as "fat and flabby, with red lips, and a shining face"?
(b) Madame Pernelle.
3. Which character is the first to speak in Act 2?
4. What does Dorine do every time Orgon turns towards her during their argument in Act 2?
(a) Looks away.
(b) Pleads with him.
(c) Stops talking.
(d) Closes her eyes.
5. What does Orgon claim he has given Dorine "too much" of during their argument in Act 2?
6. What does Cleante describe Orgon's descriptions of Tartuffe as near the end of Act 1?
(a) Pure rot.
(b) Simply garbage.
(c) Dirty lies.
(d) Hearty smut.
7. What is Mariane's response to Orgon when he asks her if she will marry Tartuffe in Act 2?
(a) "I dare not!"
(b) "Out of the question, father, I assure you!"
(c) "It is your will."
(d) "Whatever your wish father."
8. Finish the sentence: "He is a man of repute in the land of his birth, and, even as he is, he's a man of ______."
9. Finish Orgon's description of Tartuffe in Act 2: "He is a holy man and ______ poor."
10. Finish the sentence: "And now life is sweet as a ______".
11. Which of the following people does Dorine NOT tell Mariane and Valere to speak with regarding their plans of stopping Mariane and Tartuffe's marriage?
(b) Their friends.
12. In what way does Orgon tell his daughter she must earn his love at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) By moving away.
(b) By being happy.
(c) By working.
(d) By devoting herself to content him.
13. Who says, "Your injustice to me has a mortal sting!"?
14. Who does Dorine describe as "nuts" in Act 1?
(d) Madame Pernelle.
15. Finish the sentence: "A father's love brings true _____".
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Tartuffe's servant?
2. What does Orgon tell Cleante when he asks what he should report to Valere regarding Mariane's marriage?
3. Whom does Madame Pernelle call "a bold lassy" in Act 1?
4. Who says, "You've sure got humane sentiments down pat"?
5. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say Tartuffe did the first time they met?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)