|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What derogatory name does Madame Pernelle call her servant just before leaving the house in Act 1?
(a) A lass.
(b) A dog.
(c) A waste.
(d) A slut.
2. In Act 1, what ailment does Dorine tell Orgon his wife suffered while he was gone?
(a) A fever and headache.
(b) A fever.
(c) The flu.
(d) Breathing problems.
3. What does Orgon call Dorine when she claims that he is lying about making his daughter marry Tartuffe?
(a) A shrew.
(b) A rat.
(c) A snake.
(d) A wench.
4. Who does Dorine describe as "nuts" in Act 1?
(a) Madame Pernelle.
5. Who says, "Gossip is singing a little ditty"?
6. What is Mariane's response to Valere when he asks her what she thinks of her father's decision for her to marry Tartuffe?
(a) "It will not happen."
(b) "It can't be true."
(c) "I don't know".
(d) "What do you think?"
7. What does Dorine do every time Orgon turns towards her during their argument in Act 2?
(a) Closes her eyes.
(b) Looks away.
(c) Pleads with him.
(d) Stops talking.
8. What is the name of Madame Pernelle's servant in the play?
9. What does Elmire refer to as a "dreadful chore" to Cleante in Act 1?
(a) Madame Pernelle's lecture.
(b) Listening to Tartuffe.
(c) Standing up.
(d) Talking to Orgon.
10. Which character is the first to speak in Act 2?
11. What question does Dorine ask Mariane just after Orgon leaves the room in Act 2?
(a) "Is this what you want?"
(b) "What's going to happen?"
(c) "Have you entirely lost your voice and heart?"
(d) "What do you think of this?"
12. What is Mariane's response to Orgon when he asks her if she will marry Tartuffe in Act 2?
(a) "I dare not!"
(b) "Out of the question, father, I assure you!"
(c) "It is your will."
(d) "Whatever your wish father."
13. What does Cleante say he fears at the end of Act 1?
(a) That Tartuffe will become Orgon's heir.
(b) That Orgon will break his promise.
(c) That Tartuffe will marry Elmire.
(d) That Orgon will disown him.
14. Who is the first character to speak in the play?
(b) Madame Pernelle.
15. What does Dorine refer to Tartuffe as during her argument with Orgon in Act 2?
(a) Loser and scum.
(c) Rude and unseemly.
(d) Bum and bigot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence: "Monsieur, can you pose as one who's sage, gravely stroking your breaded _____."
2. Who is described as "fat and flabby, with red lips, and a shining face"?
3. What does Dorine tell Mariane and Valere at the very end of Act 2?
4. Finish the sentence: "A father's love brings true _____".
5. Whom does Orgon tell Cleante causes Tartuffe to often become jealous in Act 1?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)