|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term does Mariane refer to Tartuffe as just after her father asks if she will marry him?
(a) An imposter.
(b) A recluse.
(c) A hypocrite.
(d) A rodent.
2. Who calls Tartuffe a "false Capuchin" in the play?
3. What does Orgon say Dorine's "twaddle" has caused him to become?
4. Finish the sentence: "Yes, I may think so, but my broken heart foresees you, too, suffering from Love's ____."
5. Who tells Orgon to keep his "anger within measure" in Act 2?
6. Who does Madame Pernelle say has "fallen from grace" in Act 1?
7. What is described as "a sly conjecture or a wicked smear"?
(a) The rumor of Mariane marrying Tartuffe.
(b) Tartuffe's reputation.
(c) For Mariane to marry Valere.
(d) Orgon's opinion of Tartuffe.
8. Which character is the first to speak in Act 2?
9. Whom does Orgon tell Cleante causes Tartuffe to often become jealous in Act 1?
10. What is the name of the neighbor Dorine accuses of slandering the family's house in the play?
11. What does Dorine tell Mariane and Valere they will do to prevent the marriage of Mariane and Tartuffe?
(a) "Get prepared to fight."
(b) "Gather friends and family."
(c) "Wage war on every front."
(d) "Get witnesses and proof."
12. What does Dorine say a woman in love needs to have a heart made of?
13. Who does Dorine ask Mariane if she loves in Act 2?
14. What does Orgon tell Cleante when he asks what he should report to Valere regarding Mariane's marriage?
(a) "No more".
(b) "Enough I say".
(c) "I dare say not".
(d) "What you please".
15. Who does Dorine describe as "nuts" in Act 1?
(d) Madame Pernelle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence: "Monsieur, can you pose as one who's sage, gravely stroking your breaded _____."
2. Who says, "Do you think that I should perpetuate the flame of love that I have felt of late?"
3. What is the name of Tartuffe's servant?
4. Whom does Madame Pernelle call "a fool of the worst kind"?
5. What does Orgon say his money could help Tartuffe accomplish during his conversation with Dorine in Act 2?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)