|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish the sentence: "But I've just heard word of this marriage, and I trust it is only ____."
2. What does Mariane describe as having "with the strongest passion"?
(a) Her love for Orgon.
(b) Her hate for Tartuffe.
(c) Her love for Valere.
(d) Her hate for Orgon.
3. What does Orgon tell Cleante when he asks what he should report to Valere regarding Mariane's marriage?
(a) "I dare say not".
(b) "Enough I say".
(c) "What you please".
(d) "No more".
4. Who tells Orgon to keep his "anger within measure" in Act 2?
5. What does Orgon tell Cleante God told him to do regarding Tartuffe?
(a) Feed him.
(b) Take him into his home.
(c) Give him work.
(d) Clothe him.
6. What statement does Orgon continually repeat when discussing Tartuffe with Dorine in Act 1?
(a) "Poor fellow!"
(b) "My dear man!"
(c) "Praise be!"
(d) "Oh my!"
7. Who does Dorine ask Mariane if she loves in Act 2?
8. What does Orgon say his money could help Tartuffe accomplish during his conversation with Dorine in Act 2?
(a) Restore his land and remove his liens.
(b) Clear his debts.
(c) Clothe and feed him.
(d) Give him a home.
9. Who calls Tartuffe a "false Capuchin" in the play?
10. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say Tartuffe did the first time they met?
11. Who does Madame Pernelle slap in Act 1?
12. What does Dorine tell Mariane and Valere at the very end of Act 2?
(a) "Go be happy and conspire."
(b) "Make up and celebrate."
(c) "Go off together happily."
(d) "You go off that way, and you go the other."
13. Which character is the first to speak in Act 2?
14. Who hides in the room while Orgon and Mariane talk at the beginning of Act 2?
15. Who does Dorine describe as "nuts" in Act 1?
(a) Madame Pernelle.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Orgon tell his daughter she must earn his love at the beginning of Act 2?
2. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say regarding Tartuffe during his conversation with Mariane in Act 2?
3. Finish the sentence: "Monsieur, can you pose as one who's sage, gravely stroking your breaded _____."
4. What does Damis ask Cleante to discuss with Orgon just before he comes into the scene in Act 1?
5. In Act 1, what ailment does Dorine tell Orgon his wife suffered while he was gone?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)