Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Madame Pernelle give Elmire for leaving the house at the beginning of Act 1?
2. Describe how Madame Pernelle takes defense of Tartuffe at the beginning of Act 1.
3. In what way does Dorine say Tartuffe has changed since he came to their house?
4. Why does Dorine claim the family's neighbor is slandering them?
5. Describe what Madame Pernelle says and does to her servant just before leaving in Act 1.
6. How does Dorine describe Orgon and Tartuffe's relationship to Cleante in Act 1?
7. Why does Damis ask Cleante to discuss the upcoming marriage of Mariane with Orgon in Act 1?
8. What does Orgon ask Dorine about when he first enters the scene in Act 1?
9. How does Dorine describe Tartuffe to Orgon in Act 1?
10. How does Orgon describe Tartuffe during his exchange with Cleante in Act 1?
11. How does Cleante describe true pious and religious people in Act 1?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)