|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Damis and Mariane?
(a) Uncle and niece.
(c) Brother and sister.
(d) Husband and wife.
2. Which two characters converse with one another just after Madame Pernelle leaves in Act 1?
(a) Orgon and Tartuffe.
(b) Elmire and Dorine.
(c) Elmire and Orgon.
(d) Cleante and Dorine.
3. What does Orgon tell Cleante when he asks what he should report to Valere regarding Mariane's marriage?
(a) "Enough I say".
(b) "No more".
(c) "What you please".
(d) "I dare say not".
4. Who says, "You've sure got humane sentiments down pat"?
5. What derogatory name does Madame Pernelle call her servant just before leaving the house in Act 1?
(a) A lass.
(b) A dog.
(c) A waste.
(d) A slut.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Orgon NOT say Tartuffe did the first time they met?
2. Who is the first character to speak in the play?
3. What statement does Orgon continually repeat when discussing Tartuffe with Dorine in Act 1?
4. Who is described as "a holy man whom all should hear"?
5. What does Orgon say when Cleante asks if he will keep his promise at the end of Act 1?
This section contains 207 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)