|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the device in the river used to do for the farmer and his family?
2. Why does Dorath offer to help Taran complete his quest?
3. Why is Taran so angry about the shepherd's death?
4. What job does Taran take in the second of the Free Commots?
5. Who does Taran befriend in the fourth of the Free Commots?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Taran most disappointed about after the fighting with Dorath is finished in the fourth of the Free Commots?
2. What is Llonio's philosophy on life?
3. After Craddoc's death, why does Taran say he no longer wishes to find his real parents?
4. How does Dorath make the fight with Taran unfair?
5. What do Taran and the travelers find among the rocks after leaving Dorath's camp?
6. What is Taran's plan to help the fourth of the Free Commots fight against Dorath and his band?
7. What has Llonio placed in the river behind his house, and what is it used for?
8. What does Taran do to avoid having Dorath join the quest, and what happens?
9. What does Craddoc realize at the end of the summer, and what does he do about this realization?
10. After spending a season as a shepherd, how does Taran feel about his new life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Lloyd Alexander choose these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity is a major theme in this play as many different life-styles and creatures are involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author feels it is so important?
Essay Topic 3
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)