|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the king feel about the suggestion of punishing Gast and Goryon in a different way than usual for this dispute?
2. What does Kaw take from Fllewdar Fflam when he first sees him traveling?
3. What part of the herd is given to the farmer after the dispute is ended?
4. Why does the king give Taran the favor he asks when Groyon and Gast appear on the farmer's land?
5. What final punishment is given to Goryon and Gast for their unlawful dispute?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first obstacle Taran meets in trying to get to Morda, and how does he try to defeat it?
2. What is stolen from the Fair Folk, and why is this so important?
3. Why does Taran want to find out the truth of his parentage so badly?
4. How is King Smoit saved from the river?
5. What does Morda's necklace give him power to do?
6. What is so special about the mirror that Taran is sent to find?
7. What happens to King Smoit just as they are about to reach the scene of the dispute between Goryon and Gast?
8. What happens after Taran escapes from his ropes when he is in Morda's compound?
9. What does Kaw do when he sees Taran traveling with his friends?
10. Why does Taran not stay to help the farmer in the Cantrevs Valley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Belonging and security are two themes present in this novel. Where does these themes appear, and which characters are most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how do those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role do despair play in this book?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)