|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Taran live with at the beginning of this book?
2. What causes the enchanted frog to be ill?
3. What does Morda offer to do when Taran tells him he has Morda's life force with him?
4. What does Taran do with the stone from Morda's necklace?
5. What does Taran try to do when he is saved from Morda's attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Taran and Gurgi get help when they find trouble in the Valley Cantrevs?
2. What does the king ask of Taran after the dispute is settled, and what was Taran's response?
3. Why does Taran not stay to help the farmer in the Cantrevs Valley?
4. What does the polished bone turn out to be?
5. What does Taran suggest King Smoit do instead of his usual punishment to Goryon and Gast, and why?
6. What is the first obstacle Taran meets in trying to get to Morda, and how does he try to defeat it?
7. Why is Doli sitting in the bushes the way he is when Llylan found him?
8. What does Taran do with the stone from Morda's necklace, and why is this surprising?
9. How is King Smoit saved from the river?
10. What is so special about the mirror that Taran is sent to find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Taran endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)