|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What favor does Taran ask of King Smoit when Goryon and Gast appear on the farmer's land?
2. Who does Taran live with at the beginning of this book?
3. What does Morda offer to do when Taran tells him he has Morda's life force with him?
4. Where has Taran seen what is hanging around the robber's neck before?
5. Where does this book take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What feast is laid out for Taran when he meets Lord Gast, and why is this so ironic?
2. What favor does Taran ask of the King when the disputing lords are seen, and why does King Smoit grant this favor?
3. How is King Smoit saved from the river?
4. What does the polished bone turn out to be?
5. What is the normal punishment for this common dispute between Goryon and Gast?
6. What happens after Taran escapes from his ropes when he is in Morda's compound?
7. What does Gurgi find in a hollow tree after meeting with Kaw?
8. Why does Taran want to find out the truth of his parentage so badly?
9. What does Taran do with the stone from Morda's necklace, and why is this surprising?
10. Why does Taran not stay to help the farmer in the Cantrevs Valley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lord Goryon and Lord Gast are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
Essay Topic 2
Power and Greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Taran endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)