|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Taran befriend in the fourth of the Free Commots?
(a) A beautiful woman.
(b) A spry little dwarf.
(c) An old weaver.
(d) An injured young man.
2. What does Dorath do to make the fight between him and Taran unfair?
(a) Brings out a knife.
(b) Takes a rest.
(c) Calls in a second man to help him.
(d) Throws dirt in Taran's face.
3. How does Taran feel about living the life of a shepherd?
(a) He does not like it.
(b) He loves the peace and serenity of it.
(c) He admires the physical tenacity it requires.
(d) He feels it is beneath him, but likes it.
4. What is so frustrating to Taran about the job he takes in the third of the Free Commots.
(a) He cannot make things as beautiful as his master.
(b) He feels this has no value to men.
(c) He hates getting so dirty.
(d) It is too hard for him.
5. What happens the first time Taran uses his new sword?
(a) It shatters.
(b) It is stolen.
(c) It is admired and sold.
(d) It cuts him.
6. Why does Taran move on from his second job among the Free Commots?
(a) The work does not make him happy.
(b) He feels it is beneath him.
(c) He does not have a natural talent for it.
(d) He does not like his master.
7. What is the device in the river used to do for the farmer and his family?
(a) Catch things floating down the river.
(b) Give him safe passage across the river.
(c) Provide a traveling bridge.
(d) Power the mill that grinds his wheat.
8. What news does Taran hear when he first wakes after suffering injuries trying to save the shepherd?
(a) Creekdock is dead.
(b) Taran is being honored as a hero.
(c) Craddoc is not his father.
(d) Dallben is coming.
9. Why is Taran so hesitant to give up his sword to Dorath?
(a) Dorath will most likely kill him with it.
(b) It is a huge disgrace to travel unprotected.
(c) It was a gift from Dallben.
(d) He has no other weapons.
10. What do Taran and the farmer with the large family find in a field one day?
(a) A bag of wheat.
(b) Some oddly shaped stones.
(c) Another polished bone.
(d) A horse bridle.
11. Which of the Free Commots does Taran think feels like home?
(a) Commot Merclin.
(b) Commot Merin.
(c) Merry's Commot.
(d) Merlin's Commot.
12. What work of his master in the third of the Free Commots has Taran seen before?
(a) Dallben's sword.
(b) Lord Gast's wine bowl.
(c) Pricess Eilonwy's gown.
(d) King Smoit's tapestry.
13. What destroys the aggressors of the fourth of the Free Commots?
14. Where does Taran stay for the winter?
(a) King Smoit's palace.
(b) Cair Dallben.
(c) With the Free Commots.
(d) Craddoc's land.
15. What does Taran work to make at his second job with the Free Commots.
(a) A wheat grinder.
(b) A sword.
(c) A gift for the princess.
(d) Some new clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the crippled man's wife die?
2. What was the one wish of the crippled man's wife before she died?
3. What does the farmer with Craddoc's sheep credit most of his success to?
4. Why does Gurgi opt to stay with Taran and the shepherd?
5. What do the travelers find at the rocky area after leaving Dorath's camp?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)