|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Taran unable to do in the fourth of the Free Commots that distresses him greatly?
(a) Make his story heard.
(b) Defeat the outlaws.
(c) Deliver Annlaw's pottery.
(d) Catch and kill Dorath.
2. What does Dorath decide to take as payment before he lets Taran leave?
(a) A sword fight.
(b) A letter of good will to King Smoit.
(c) A promisory note.
(d) The enchanted ring.
3. What is the shepherd's most prized possession?
(a) His son.
(b) His enchanted sword.
(c) His sheep.
(d) His land.
4. What is the name of the farmer who gets Craddoc's sheep?
5. What does the shepherd realize at the end of the summer?
(a) Taran hates his life there.
(b) Taran is not his son.
(c) He is dying.
(d) Taran was meant for more in life than this farm.
6. What keeps Taran from helping the shepherd get up from the rocky ledge one day?
(a) Craddoc fights with Taran.
(b) Taran is injured.
(c) Dallben tells Taran not to help Craddoc.
(d) Craddoc is too heavy.
7. Why is Taran so angry about the shepherd's death?
(a) He loses his father.
(b) He wants an explanation for the lie.
(c) He wastes the one call on the battle horn.
(d) He never hears the whole true story.
8. What does Dorath tell Taran he wants before he will let Taran go?
(a) A share of the treasure.
(b) News of his homeland.
(c) A written promise of fidelity.
(d) Payment for the food he ate.
9. What does Taran do to try and avoid having Dorath and his men join the quest?
(a) Sneak away in the night.
(b) Tell him of all the danger they will meet.
(c) Talk down about the treasure.
(d) Lie to him about his destination.
10. What news does Taran hear when he first wakes after suffering injuries trying to save the shepherd?
(a) Dallben is coming.
(b) Creekdock is dead.
(c) Taran is being honored as a hero.
(d) Craddoc is not his father.
11. Who does the crippled man give his child to when he can no longer care for it?
(a) The Fair Folk.
(b) King Smoit.
(c) A traveller.
12. How does Taran feel about living the life of a shepherd?
(a) He does not like it.
(b) He loves the peace and serenity of it.
(c) He feels it is beneath him, but likes it.
(d) He admires the physical tenacity it requires.
13. What does Taran hope to make while working in the Free Commots?
(a) A gift for his princess.
(b) Some new clothing.
(c) A sword.
(d) A wheat grinder.
14. What happens to the shepherd's son?
(a) He is given to Dallben one spring morning.
(b) He dies with his mother.
(c) He is given to a nobleman as payment for rent.
(d) He is stolen by a wizard.
15. What does Dorath do to ensure his involvement in Taran's quest?
(a) Makes Taran look him in the eye to avoid lying.
(b) Meets Taran at the horses as he tries to sneak away.
(c) Steals Taran's map to see the truth.
(d) Promises that he has no fear of danger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Taran make for the farmer and his family before he leaves?
2. How does Taran try to get help for the shepherd before he dies?
3. Who is the fourth of the Free Commots in danger of?
4. What does Taran's master in the third of the Free Commots have Taran do to clear his head?
5. Where does Taran stay for the winter?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)