|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dorath decide to take as payment before he lets Taran leave?
(a) A sword fight.
(b) A letter of good will to King Smoit.
(c) A promisory note.
(d) The enchanted ring.
2. How does Taran try to get help for the shepherd before he dies?
(a) He sends Gurgi to fetch Dallben.
(b) He summons Dallben to him with his ring.
(c) The battle horn.
(d) He sings a chant that Doli taught him.
3. How does Taran feel about living the life of a shepherd?
(a) He feels it is beneath him, but likes it.
(b) He loves the peace and serenity of it.
(c) He admires the physical tenacity it requires.
(d) He does not like it.
4. What does the shepherd tell Taran just before he dies?
(a) He loves Taran.
(b) Crawdack is really a run-away prince.
(c) He lied.
(d) He pleads with Taran to care for the sheep.
5. What does the farmer with Craddoc's sheep credit most of his success to?
6. Why is Taran so hesitant to give up his sword to Dorath?
(a) It was a gift from Dallben.
(b) He has no other weapons.
(c) It is a huge disgrace to travel unprotected.
(d) Dorath will most likely kill him with it.
7. What does Taran work to make at his second job with the Free Commots.
(a) A sword.
(b) Some new clothing.
(c) A gift for the princess.
(d) A wheat grinder.
8. What work of his master in the third of the Free Commots has Taran seen before?
(a) Lord Gast's wine bowl.
(b) King Smoit's tapestry.
(c) Pricess Eilonwy's gown.
(d) Dallben's sword.
9. How did the crippled man's wife die?
(a) Giving birth.
(b) An illness.
(c) Bandits attacked.
(d) She fell from a cliff in the fog.
10. Why does Taran never want to see the princess again after hearing the shepherd's story?
(a) He knows she would despise him after hearing he is a shepherd.
(b) He is of too low birth to ever marry her.
(c) He no longer loves her as he has found his home.
(d) He loves her too much to let her lower her standards.
11. What do the travelers find at the rocky area after leaving Dorath's camp?
(b) A rucksack of food.
(c) A sword.
(d) A lamb.
12. What does Taran find when he reaches the fourth of the Free Commots?
(a) They need a new leader.
(b) They are the happiest people he has ever seen.
(c) They are starving.
(d) The city is preparing for attack.
13. Where does Taran take the shepherd's sheep at the end of the winter?
(a) To the Free Commots.
(b) To a small farmer with many children.
(c) To a livestock market.
(d) To Cair Dallben.
14. What was the one wish of the crippled man's wife before she died?
(a) To be wealthy.
(b) To see a bit of real magic.
(c) To see her sone get away from their land.
(d) To know that her husband would never re-marry.
15. What do Taran and the farmer with the large family find in a field one day?
(a) A horse bridle.
(b) Some oddly shaped stones.
(c) A bag of wheat.
(d) Another polished bone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the crippled man give his child to when he can no longer care for it?
2. What is so frustrating to Taran about the job he takes in the third of the Free Commots.
3. In what condition does Dorath leave Taran after the fight between them?
4. Who does Taran send to speak with Dallben while he stays with the shepherd?
5. What keeps Taran from helping the shepherd get up from the rocky ledge one day?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)