|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the device in the river used to do for the farmer and his family?
(a) Catch things floating down the river.
(b) Provide a traveling bridge.
(c) Power the mill that grinds his wheat.
(d) Give him safe passage across the river.
2. What is Taran unable to do in the fourth of the Free Commots that distresses him greatly?
(a) Deliver Annlaw's pottery.
(b) Catch and kill Dorath.
(c) Defeat the outlaws.
(d) Make his story heard.
3. What does the shepherd realize at the end of the summer?
(a) He is dying.
(b) Taran was meant for more in life than this farm.
(c) Taran is not his son.
(d) Taran hates his life there.
4. What does Taran hope to make while working in the Free Commots?
(a) Some new clothing.
(b) A gift for his princess.
(c) A sword.
(d) A wheat grinder.
5. Why does Taran never want to see the princess again after hearing the shepherd's story?
(a) He loves her too much to let her lower her standards.
(b) He knows she would despise him after hearing he is a shepherd.
(c) He is of too low birth to ever marry her.
(d) He no longer loves her as he has found his home.
6. Why does Gurgi opt to stay with Taran and the shepherd?
(a) He fears to travel alone.
(b) He does not like Dallben.
(c) He does not think he can remember all the message.
(d) He likes sheep.
7. What does the shepherd tell Taran just before he dies?
(a) He loves Taran.
(b) Crawdack is really a run-away prince.
(c) He lied.
(d) He pleads with Taran to care for the sheep.
8. How did the crippled man's wife die?
(a) Giving birth.
(b) An illness.
(c) Bandits attacked.
(d) She fell from a cliff in the fog.
9. Why does Doli separate from the group as the rest travel on?
(a) He wants to tell his people that Morda is dead.
(b) He wants to avoid danger and trouble.
(c) He wants to get the stone into safe keeping.
(d) He hates the Free Commot folk.
10. How does Taran feel about living the life of a shepherd?
(a) He feels it is beneath him, but likes it.
(b) He loves the peace and serenity of it.
(c) He does not like it.
(d) He admires the physical tenacity it requires.
11. What do Taran and the farmer with the large family find in a field one day?
(a) A horse bridle.
(b) Some oddly shaped stones.
(c) A bag of wheat.
(d) Another polished bone.
12. What is the only thing of value that Taran is carrying on his journey?
(a) The polished bone.
(b) His sword.
(c) The battle horn.
(d) An enchanted ring.
13. What is the name of the crippled man Taran meets at the rocky area?
14. What job does Taran take when he reaches the first of the Free Commots?
15. What do Dorath and his men do when Taran asks them for some food?
(a) Lets Taran scrape the left-overs when the men are done eating.
(b) Completely ignores Taran.
(c) Makes Taran promise payment for the food.
(d) Welcomes them and feeds them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorath do to ensure his involvement in Taran's quest?
2. Where does Fflewdar Fflam go at the end of the winter?
3. What does Taran do to try and avoid having Dorath and his men join the quest?
4. What does Taran's master in the third of the Free Commots have Taran do to clear his head?
5. What does the farmer that got Craddoc's sheep put in the river behind his house?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)