|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Tangerine Middle School play against on September 22?
2. What has the muck become?
3. Who does Paul talk to on the phone after his game?
4. What do Victor, Tino and Hernando tell Paul when he meets them?
5. What do Erik and Arthur do when they come upon Joey and Paul at Paul's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Joey and Tino clash in the group and what is the result of that clash?
2. What does Paul take with him on his first day at Tangerine and what does he tell his mother?
3. How does Tino feel about Paul at the end of the day on Saturday, and what does Paul tell him? What is Tino's response?
4. Who is Henry's brother and how does Paul know him?
5. How does Theresa treat Paul at first and what does Paul learn from her about her brother?
6. What does Victor and his friends tell Paul about the incident at the carnival?
7. What does Paul say about his life on November 2?
8. What happens with Paul during a game with the Palmetto Middle School?
9. What does Joey say about typing up the project?
10. What do Tino and Theresa say about a possible subject for the group project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Tangerine. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Tangerine. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in Tangerine. Consider the death of Mike as an random act of nature and the death of Luis as the result of conscious violence. Consider also in your answer the death of innocence in Paul from the beginning of the book to the end.
Essay Topic 2
Paul says that he realizes it means extra driving, but that it's what he wants to do. His mother gives in. Paul is asserting himself a little more as he matures and this is an example of the theme, coming of age.
1. Do you think Paul asserting himself is a sign of maturity? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think that Paul not caring about his mother having to drive him farther is a sign of selfishness? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. What are some ways in which Paul seems mature for his age? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Tangerine belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)