|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Paul introduced to Theresa Cruz?
2. What color are the tents on some of the houses in the subdivision?
3. Who does Paul talk to on the phone after his game?
4. Why does Paul go to the Cruz farm on Saturday?
5. At first, who does everyone think should type up their project?
Short Essay Questions
1. What worries Paul about his seventh period teacher and what does he vow to do about it?
2. How is Paul partly responsible for winning the game against Lake Windsor?
3. Who is Henry's brother and how does Paul know him?
4. What happens the first time Paul shows up for soccer practice?
5. Where are the Fishers invited on November 5 and what does Paul learn there about Coach Bright?
6. What does Henry's brother tell Paul about the muck problem?
7. Why do Joey and Tino clash in the group and what is the result of that clash?
8. Where does Paul go on Saturday, November 4, and what does he do there?
9. What does Joey tell Paul about the incident when his brother was killed?
10. What starts an argument between Tino and Victor at practice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paul tells his parents that he doesn't mind if his father doesn't pay any attention to him. This catches his dad's attention and instead of answering Paul's question as to whether Paul can change schools, his father goes back to that statement. He asks Paul what he meant and it seems he might be about to disagree with Paul's assessment that Erik's football takes precedence over everything, but then stops. Paul realizes that he doesn't get the same amount of attention from his father as Erik, and this does seem to bother Paul as it would any child.
1. Do you think Paul really doesn't mind the fact that his father does not pay attention to him? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Paul's father does not pursue Paul's statement about how important Erik's football is as opposed to how important Paul is? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. What kind of messages do you think Paul's father is sending to Paul? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Tangerine, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Tangerine. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)