|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the funeral home where Mike is laid out?
2. What does Paul wear on the soccer field?
3. What does Joey tell Paul about Paul's statement to the principal?
4. Who takes Paul's glasses from him and cleans the mud off?
5. What does Joey do when Paul tells the principal what he saw at the carnival?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Erik tell Paul and Mrs. Fisher when Erik comes home from school on Tuesday?
2. Why is Paul called into the principal's office the Monday after his trip to the carnival and what does Paul do?
3. What does Paul say about how his mother has arranged their move?
4. What does Paul hear Arthur and Erik saying about Mike Costello?
5. What does Paul and his mother learn about muck fires, and what happens when a thunderstorm hits?
6. What does Paul find out about the problem in question #3?
7. What is Paul's mother's response about him being kicked off the soccer team?
8. What does Paul's mother do about Mike's death?
9. What does Paul think about Arthur and Erik are saying about Mike?
10. What does Paul's mother think will happen about Mike's death and what actually happens? What does Paul wonder about Joey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes Tangerine interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Paul. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Mrs. Fisher. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Erik. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Tangerine based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Tangerine is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Tangerine a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Paul's father asks if Paul made the all county team, and Paul is angered by the question. He turns the tables, asking his dad how many games he'd played in, what position he'd played and pointing out very clearly that his father hadn't been to any games.
1. Why do you think Paul became angry at his father's question? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think it was right for Paul to point out to his father the obvious lack of interest Mr. Fisher seems to have in Paul's athletic endeavors? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. What do you think are the motivations behind Mr. Fisher's different interactions with his two sons? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)