|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul say ruined his move to Florida?
2. What does Paul call his father always talking about Erik's football activities?
3. What are Paul and Mrs. Fisher shown the school uses for classrooms?
4. What happens when a sinkhole forms on the school grounds?
5. What position does Mr. Costello have in the subdivision?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes by the house from the Owners' Association, who is his son and what happens when Paul's father returns home?
2. What changes in Tangerine does Paul foresee and what does he think about himself and changes?
3. Where does Paul go on his bike and what does he see about their subdivision?
4. Why is Paul called into the principal's office the Monday after his trip to the carnival and what does Paul do?
5. What does Paul think about Arthur and Erik are saying about Mike?
6. What memory does Paul recall when he starts school on Monday?
7. How do Paul and his mother arrive in Florida, and what does Paul's father say when they arrive?
8. What does Paul think about if Erik died?
9. What boy Paul's age does Paul meet and what does he see while Paul watches soccer practice?
10. What does Paul hear Arthur and Erik saying about Mike Costello?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Tangerine. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Tangerine. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in Tangerine. Consider the death of Mike as an random act of nature and the death of Luis as the result of conscious violence. Consider also in your answer the death of innocence in Paul from the beginning of the book to the end.
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and sometimes it is the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Tangerine has? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Paul's father asks if Paul made the all county team, and Paul is angered by the question. He turns the tables, asking his dad how many games he'd played in, what position he'd played and pointing out very clearly that his father hadn't been to any games.
1. Why do you think Paul became angry at his father's question? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think it was right for Paul to point out to his father the obvious lack of interest Mr. Fisher seems to have in Paul's athletic endeavors? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. What do you think are the motivations behind Mr. Fisher's different interactions with his two sons? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)