|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul's mother do when she finds out Mike is dead?
2. Why does Joey invite Paul to a carnival?
3. What position does Paul play in soccer?
4. What do Paul and his mother find out about the smoke?
5. Where does Paul catch the bus to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Paul and his mother arrive in Florida, and what does Paul's father say when they arrive?
2. What does Paul and his mother learn about muck fires, and what happens when a thunderstorm hits?
3. What does Paul's mother do about Mike's death?
4. What does Paul say about how his mother has arranged their move?
5. What news does Erik tell Paul and Mrs. Fisher when Erik comes home from school on Tuesday?
6. What is Paul's mother's response about him being kicked off the soccer team?
7. What boy Paul's age does Paul meet and what does he see while Paul watches soccer practice?
8. What does Paul think about if Erik died?
9. What does Paul find out about the problem in question #3?
10. What memory does Paul recall when he starts school on Monday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Tangerine. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Tangerine. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in Tangerine. Consider the death of Mike as an random act of nature and the death of Luis as the result of conscious violence. Consider also in your answer the death of innocence in Paul from the beginning of the book to the end.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Tangerine. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Bloor chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Bloor chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Bloor's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Bloor use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)