|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paul do when conversation about Erik and football starts?
(a) Sits in the chair and sulks.
(b) Laughs at Erik.
(c) Struts around the living room.
(d) Goes to his bedroom.
2. What does Paul realize when he watches the Middle School soccer practice?
(a) He will have to work hard to get on the team.
(b) He is a better goalie than anyone on the team.
(c) They are too good for him.
(d) They are a really crummy team.
3. After the family settles into their new home what does Mr. Fisher say about his job in relation to Erik?
(a) Mr. Fisher wants Erik to become friends with his boss's son.
(b) Erik will be able to have a part-time job there.
(c) Mr. Fisher may miss many of Erik's games.
(d) Mr. Fisher will be able to attend Erik's football practices.
4. What kind of position does Joey's father have?
(d) Police Chief.
5. How does Paul say Erik learned to kick for football?
(a) By kicking the ball against the side of the house.
(b) By playing rag tag in elementary school.
(c) Their grandfather taught him.
(d) By being a soccer player.
6. What does Paul think about his soccer try-outs?
(a) He will not be picked for the team.
(b) He will be chosen for first string.
(c) He will be second-string.
(d) He has no idea what will happen.
7. What does Paul's mother do Sunday morning after she goes outside?
(a) Calls the fire department.
(b) Makes Paul wear a dust mask outside.
(c) Runs over to the neighbor.
(d) Tells Paul to stay in the house.
8. What does Mrs. Fisher expect will happen on September 6 due to Mike's death?
(a) The funeral will be on Saturday.
(b) School will be canceled.
(c) Football will be stopped for a couple of weeks.
(d) The kids at school will be very depressed.
9. What can Paul not understand about Erik and Arthur?
(a) Why they are friends.
(b) Laughing about Mike's death.
(c) How they can make fun of Joey.
(d) Why they are there instead of at Mike's house.
10. What happens when a thunderstorm hits?
(a) The back porch floods.
(b) The power goes out.
(c) Lightning strikes the tree in the front yard.
(d) A tree limb breaks a window.
11. What did Paul describe his mother's way of moving?
(a) As a slapstick comedy.
(b) As a military operation.
(c) As a casual, but efficient operation.
(d) He did not mention his mother's plans.
12. What does one parent tell Mrs. Fisher about his son and practice?
(a) He sees no reason to change anything.
(b) He sees no reason she cares about football practice.
(c) He will be pulling his son out of practice.
(d) He needs the practice to obtain a college scholarship.
13. What does Mr. Costello do when Erik and Mr. Fisher come home?
(a) Offers to set them up with a football scout.
(c) Go to his home and get his son.
(d) Talks to them about the weather.
14. Why does the coach talk to members of the soccer team about the carnival?
(a) A soccer ball was left at the park.
(b) Boys with soccer balls destroyed an exhibit.
(c) He is talking to all the athletic teams.
(d) Someone told the principal Joey and Paul was there.
15. Who is Erik starting to hang out with?
(a) Andy Nuemberg.
(b) Arthur Bauer.
(c) Mike Costello.
(d) Tim Talon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joey invite Paul to a carnival?
2. Where does Paul's mother want to send him to school?
3. What happens when a sinkhole forms on the school grounds?
4. Why does Mrs. Fisher want to go through the house before she and Paul leave at the opening of the book?
5. What does Paul wonder about Joey?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)