|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paul think about his soccer try-outs?
(a) He will be second-string.
(b) He will not be picked for the team.
(c) He has no idea what will happen.
(d) He will be chosen for first string.
2. What is the name of the subdivision where Paul lives?
(a) Pinecrest Lakes.
(b) Waveryly Hills.
(c) Shady Oaks.
(d) Lake Windsor Downs.
3. What does Paul realize when he watches the Middle School soccer practice?
(a) They are too good for him.
(b) They are a really crummy team.
(c) He is a better goalie than anyone on the team.
(d) He will have to work hard to get on the team.
4. What does Joey tell Paul about Paul's statement to the principal?
(a) He is now a hero.
(b) No one has to know who it was.
(c) He was a ratfink.
(d) He will probably be beat up.
5. What does one parent tell Mrs. Fisher about his son and practice?
(a) He needs the practice to obtain a college scholarship.
(b) He sees no reason to change anything.
(c) He sees no reason she cares about football practice.
(d) He will be pulling his son out of practice.
6. What does Mr. Costello do when Erik and Mr. Fisher come home?
(a) Go to his home and get his son.
(b) Talks to them about the weather.
(c) Offers to set them up with a football scout.
7. What does Paul's mother say about Paul not being able to play soccer?
(a) He can concentrate on his studies.
(b) She is sure his eyesight has improved.
(c) He will find something else to do.
(d) Sports are only for the dumb kids anyway.
8. Where does Paul catch the bus to school?
(a) He walks to school.
(b) His mother drives him to school.
(c) In front of their home.
(d) At the subdivision entrance.
9. How does Paul find out he cannot play soccer?
(a) He is called into the principal's office.
(b) During practice.
(c) His parents receive a letter.
(d) The coach calls his mother.
10. What do Paul and Joey begin doing together?
(a) Playing tennis.
(c) Playing video games.
(d) Going to the library.
11. Who sees the smoke at the house Sunday morning first?
(a) Mrs. Fisher.
(c) Mr. Fisher.
12. What did Joey do when his brother died?
(a) Tried to brush his hair over his face.
(b) Put a football next to him.
(c) Broke down sobbing and runs away.
(d) Try to take the shoes off his feet.
13. Why does Mrs. Fisher want to go through the house before she and Paul leave at the opening of the book?
(a) To make sure it is clean.
(b) To make sure all electrical appliances are turned off.
(c) To check for any open windows.
(d) To make sure nothing is left.
14. What does Erik tell kids when they ask why Paul wears such thick glasses?
(a) Paul was born that way.
(b) Paul was hit in the head with a baseball bat.
(c) Paul stared at a solar eclipse too long.
(d) They don't know why his sight is so bad.
15. What did Paul describe his mother's way of moving?
(a) He did not mention his mother's plans.
(b) As a slapstick comedy.
(c) As a casual, but efficient operation.
(d) As a military operation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Mr. Costello have in the subdivision?
2. Who takes Paul's glasses from him and cleans the mud off?
3. What does Paul do when conversation about Erik and football starts?
4. What does Paul wonder about when he thinks of what the rest of his family is doing?
5. What can Paul not understand about Erik and Arthur?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)