|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are common targets in war?
2. The king attempts to negotiate with Tamburlaine on what item?
3. Why is Mycetes mocked?
4. What does Tamburlaine intend to do before attacking the soldiers?
5. Who wants to claim the throne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Olympia's reason for refusing Theridimas and his offer of making her a queen?
2. What is Tamburlaine's wish for Zenocrate's soul?
3. How does Mycetes react when he learns that Cosroe and Theridimas have switched sides?
4. Why does Tamburlaine tell his sons to cease mourning? Where should they focus their attentions?
5. How does Tamburlaine learn about the location of the hidden treasure the Governor has offered as a bribe?
6. What is a sign of strength according to Bajazeth? What promotes Zabina's worth?
7. What is Callapine's plan for escape from the jail?
8. What is a basso? What is the purpose of sending one to Tamburlaine?
9. How does Tamburlaine react to his new position as regent to Cosroe?
10. What is the purpose for the visits from Theridimas, Techelles, and Usumcasane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Theridimas was easily convinced to switch sides after speaking with Tamburlaine. What caused Theridimas to switch sides? Was there any coercion for Theridimas to make this decision? Was the decision any reflection on Theridimas' relationship with Mycetes and/or Cosroe? What does this move say about Theridimas' trustworthiness? Should Tamburlaine trust Theridimas?
Essay Topic 2
The story ends with Amyras and Celebinus mourning the death of Tamburlaine. Neither claims to have the spirit left for conquest. Describe how Tamburlaine's death affected his sons. How might Tamburlaine's legacy be carried on? Which son will be the most successful? Will Tamburlaine's sons be able to fulfill their father's prophecy?
Essay Topic 3
Tamburlaine claims his efforts are blessed by the gods who continue to provide good fortune. Do you think Tamburlaine has been blessed? Are the people and things Tamburlaine has accrued due to blessings or through treachery and thievery as the Persians believe? How might Tamburlaine have achieved those things otherwise? What do you think Tamburlaine will do with all the land and riches?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)