|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tamburlaine intend to take Zenocrate?
2. Which is not represented by a crown?
3. What cry is heard as the soldiers venture forth?
4. How is the basso received?
5. Sigismund comes from what country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tamburlaine tell his sons to cease mourning? Where should they focus their attentions?
2. What suggestion does Meander make to Mycetes in light of the defection?
3. To whom does Cosroe reveal his plans to take over the throne? Who is in support of the plan?
4. What items are used by Tamburlaine to prove to Theridimas that he has been well blessed?
5. What has prevented Tamburlaine from crowning Zenocrate an empress?
6. How does Tamburlaine learn about the location of the hidden treasure the Governor has offered as a bribe?
7. What is the purpose of creating a Part Two to the play?
8. What are the protests heard from Amyras and Celebinus when Tamburlaine says he is dying?
9. Why does Calyphas refuse to fight? What does Calyphas do instead?
10. What final words of advice does Tamburlaine give to Amyras?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Cosroe's treatment of Mycetes in Part 1, Act 1, Scene 1 was intentional to make Mycetes look bad in front of the court? How long do you think Cosroe had been planning to stage a coup? What might Mycetes's reaction have been when he learned of the betrayal? Who might have been against Cosroe's plan? How might Cosroe's actions affect the battle against Tamburlaine?
Essay Topic 2
Of Tamburlaine's three sons, only Calyphas objected to killing in battle. What was Tamburlaine's reaction to the boy's beliefs? What did Zenocrate think of Calyphas' objections? Was Calyphas able to hide his disapproval? Of what was Calyphas afraid? Did Calyphas' predictions come true?
Essay Topic 3
Tamburlaine claims his efforts are blessed by the gods who continue to provide good fortune. Do you think Tamburlaine has been blessed? Are the people and things Tamburlaine has accrued due to blessings or through treachery and thievery as the Persians believe? How might Tamburlaine have achieved those things otherwise? What do you think Tamburlaine will do with all the land and riches?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)