|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is not represented by a crown?
2. Who makes the comment that Tamburlaine seems to be in love?
3. Who has been defeated in battle?
4. What object does Tamburlaine use to feed Bajazeth?
5. What is the name of Bajazeth's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Calyphas refuse to fight? What does Calyphas do instead?
2. Who approaches Tamburlaine from Persia? What is the agreement struck between the two men?
3. How does Bajazeth react to the news that Tamburlaine intends to challenge his rule over the Turkish Empire?
4. What are the protests heard from Amyras and Celebinus when Tamburlaine says he is dying?
5. Why does Mycetes ask Cosroe to speak instead of holding the conference himself?
6. Olympia kills her son and attempts to kill herself to save from being tortured. Why is Olympia not allowed to die?
7. What does Tamburlaine mean when he claims that wounds mean nothing? How does he prove it?
8. What is the reaction of the Sultan when Tamburlaine says he can remain in the royal court as a regent?
9. What items are used by Tamburlaine to prove to Theridimas that he has been well blessed?
10. What has prevented Tamburlaine from crowning Zenocrate an empress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A common theme in the play is deception. What made it so easy for soldiers and regents to switch sides before battle? Are there any cases in which the traitors were justified? If so, who was the traitor? What was the justification? How were traitors dealt with in the play? What type of punishment would you have used?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Cosroe's treatment of Mycetes in Part 1, Act 1, Scene 1 was intentional to make Mycetes look bad in front of the court? How long do you think Cosroe had been planning to stage a coup? What might Mycetes's reaction have been when he learned of the betrayal? Who might have been against Cosroe's plan? How might Cosroe's actions affect the battle against Tamburlaine?
Essay Topic 3
Tamburlaine claims his efforts are blessed by the gods who continue to provide good fortune. Do you think Tamburlaine has been blessed? Are the people and things Tamburlaine has accrued due to blessings or through treachery and thievery as the Persians believe? How might Tamburlaine have achieved those things otherwise? What do you think Tamburlaine will do with all the land and riches?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)