|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the lords speaks out against Tamburlaine?
2. The king attempts to negotiate with Tamburlaine on what item?
3. What is a "basso?"
4. Who is Almeda?
5. Which of the following is not among the things Tamburlaine considers himself to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does Cosroe reveal his plans to take over the throne? Who is in support of the plan?
2. What is a sign of strength according to Bajazeth? What promotes Zabina's worth?
3. How does Tamburlaine greet Almeda? What will be done to acknowledge Almeda's assistance to Callapine?
4. What is the purpose of creating a Part Two to the play?
5. What is Callapine's plan for escape from the jail?
6. What is the purpose of the crowns on Tamburlaine's dinner plate?
7. What is a basso? What is the purpose of sending one to Tamburlaine?
8. What items are used by Tamburlaine to prove to Theridimas that he has been well blessed?
9. Why does Tamburlaine admonish one of the kings for saying that Amyras is cruel?
10. What is Callapine's plan if he is successful in escaping from Tamburlaine's jail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tamburlaine claims his efforts are blessed by the gods who continue to provide good fortune. Do you think Tamburlaine has been blessed? Are the people and things Tamburlaine has accrued due to blessings or through treachery and thievery as the Persians believe? How might Tamburlaine have achieved those things otherwise? What do you think Tamburlaine will do with all the land and riches?
Essay Topic 2
Many battles are fought over religion. Although religion was not a major factor in the reason for the battles, it played a part in the creation of allies and loyalty. Analyze the pacts, promises and betrayals of the kings due to religious beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
After all the proselytizing and planning by Callapine, why did he flee so quickly upon spotting Tamburlaine? Was it not obvious that Tamburlaine was dying? What happened to Callapine's conviction? Do you think Callapine's troops were for or against the retreat?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)