|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Tamburlaine's new title be?
2. What trait does the new emperor claim to have that the old one did not?
3. Which king is mentioned first in this scene?
4. How many children does Bajazeth have?
5. With whom does Zenocrate discuss her feelings toward Tamburlaine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mycetes react when he learns that Cosroe and Theridimas have switched sides?
2. Why does Tamburlaine admonish one of the kings for saying that Amyras is cruel?
3. Who approaches Tamburlaine from Persia? What is the agreement struck between the two men?
4. What is a basso? What is the purpose of sending one to Tamburlaine?
5. Why does Tamburlaine tell his sons to cease mourning? Where should they focus their attentions?
6. How is Callapine introduced in this scene? What are his intentions?
7. It is clear that Tamburlaine is admired. What/who does Tamburlaine compare himself to?
8. Sigismund is urged to break his pact with Orcanes and to join forces with Tambulaine. Who makes the plea and why?
9. How do Bajazeth and Zabina manage to free themselves from the cells in the castle?
10. What spurs on Callapine's conviction to humiliate and kill Tamburlaine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1A common theme in the play is deception. What made it so easy for soldiers and regents to switch sides before battle? Are there any cases in which the traitors were justified? If so, who was the traitor? What was the justification? How were traitors dealt with in the play? What type of punishment would you have used?
Essay Topic 2Theridimas was easily convinced to switch sides after speaking with Tamburlaine. What caused Theridimas to switch sides? Was there any coercion for Theridimas to make this decision? Was the decision any reflection on Theridimas' relationship with Mycetes and/or Cosroe? What does this move say about Theridimas' trustworthiness? Should Tamburlaine trust Theridimas?
Essay Topic 3The story ends with Amyras and Celebinus mourning the death of Tamburlaine. Neither claims to have the spirit left for conquest. Describe how Tamburlaine's death affected his sons. How might Tamburlaine's legacy be carried on? Which son will be the most successful? Will Tamburlaine's sons be able to fulfill their father's prophecy?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)