|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Essie imagine doing with the church?
2. How often does Essie go to church?
3. Who has Essie asked to come by and visit?
4. Who does CJ say he will beat up?
5. What has Birdie Lee done?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In addition to much symbolism in this novel, there are also a number of metaphors. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Define metaphor and symbolism and compare the two using specific examples both from the book and other sources. Which do you feel is more effective? Which seems better at expressing the idea of an abstract concept? Why would you use one over the other--give specific examples.
2. For what do you think the mural of the Garden of Eden that is described in chapter 11 is a metaphor? Explain using specific examples. Does the metaphor work for you?
3. Write a real or hypothetical situation in your personal experience that includes one or more abstract concepts and then create a metaphor to express that experience. Next, choose a way to use symbolism in the telling of the experience. Which way seems more effective at portraying the experience?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Essie's search for spiritual fulfillment is contrasted to Laura's quest for physical/material gratification. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. Compare and contrast the concepts of spiritual fulfillment versus physical/material gratification using both examples from the book and in your own experience.
2. Describe fully Essie's search for spiritual fulfillment, using specific examples from the novel. Do you think she is successful by the end of the novel?
3. Describe fully Laura's search for physical/material gratification, using specific examples from the novel. Do you think she is successful by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Street Corner preaching is a tradition that started at the time of Christ and still continues to be done in many places both in the United States and other countries. Essie and Laura begin their ministry as street-corner preachers. Answer the following questions in a well-developed, cohesive essay using examples from the text and your research or personal experience:
1. How would you define street-corner preaching? Do Essie and Laura fit your definition?
2. What are possible advantages and disadvantages of street-corner preaching? Was Essie and Laura's method of street-corner preaching effective?
3. Besides religion, what other ways is street-corner preaching used today? Would you stop and listen to a street-corner preacher? Why or why not?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)