|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Essie wish she had stopped Laura from doing?
(a) From lying about the knife.
(b) From giving gambling tips in the sermons.
(c) From being so free and ostentatious with money.
(d) From avoiding being saved.
2. To what does Birdie confess?
(a) How she allowed an innocent man to go to jail for a crime committed by a man she loved.
(b) That she wished her father dead and he dies in an accident two days later.
(c) That she slept with Buddy.
(d) To giving up her daughter for adoption.
3. To what does Essie compare Laura's denial?
(a) To the way her daddy denied that Essie is his child.
(b) To the way Christ was denied by Saint Peter.
(c) To the way Negroes are denied freedom during the era of slavery.
(d) To the way her best friend in grade school denied being responsible for a window the girl broke and blames Essie.
4. To what does Essie compare her fear at this time?
(a) The fear of dying.
(b) The time she was locked in a dark cellar for a day and half and she survives.
(c) Christ's fear in the Garden of Gethsemane the night before his crucifixion.
(d) The fear that Marietta would die when she was really ill at age 6.
5. To what does Buddy admit?
(a) Taking 100 dollars from Laura's purse.
(b) Fathering a child with a young white woman.
(c) Taking his new girlfriend gambling.
(d) Taking 100 dollars from Essie's purse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Buddy ask for after showering?
2. What sustains Essie in the jail cell?
3. What is the tone of his asking?
4. What does CJ promise to Marietta?
5. For what is Buddy hungry?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)