|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Essie wish she had stopped Laura from doing?
(a) From being so free and ostentatious with money.
(b) From avoiding being saved.
(c) From lying about the knife.
(d) From giving gambling tips in the sermons.
2. In what is Laura most interested?
(c) Laura is imagining all the things she can do with all the money she can bring in if she plays the numbers racket as Buddy suggested.
(d) Moving out of Harlem.
3. How is Marietta described?
(a) Large but proportionally shaped.
(b) About the same size as Essie.
(c) Tiny, delicate, and beautiful.
(d) Very light skinned with light eyes.
4. About what does Laura wonder as she is putting her purse away?
(a) Why the music in the church has stopped.
(b) Why Essie still has such a ragged coat.
(c) Why it's impossible for a man to be a good man even when he's being treated like a good man.
(d) If Buddy is going to leave her.
5. What do CJ and Marietta want to do after the church service?
(a) Go to the Jazz festival.
(b) Go get hamburgers.
(c) Go to the movies.
(d) Go to some friends' home for board games.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Laura and Essie react to Buddy's obvious attraction to Marietta?
2. What does Laura do when she comes into the jail and is locked up?
3. What is the tone of his asking?
4. What does CJ promise to Marietta?
5. What do Laura and Buddy believe about Essie?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)