|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Essie get to the church?
(a) A ride with someone in the neighborhood.
(b) On the subway.
(d) Driving her car.
2. What does Birdie Lee say about generosity?
(a) That the church can avoid a lawyer because of Essie's generosity.
(b) How generous Essie was to her when they first met.
(c) How Laura though generous has a mean streak.
(d) That generosity well-placed is well rewarded.
3. What has Birdie Lee done?
(a) Gotten the entire congregation to picket the jail.
(b) Sworn on the Bible that she is telling the truth.
(c) Paid a private investigator to find out the truth about Buddy.
(d) Birdie Lee has come to see Essie, and has brought a lawyer.
4. What is Laura unable to hear from her end of the jail?
(a) A crowd chanting for her execution.
(b) Essie singing a song of praise.
(c) Essie praying fervently for Laura's soul.
(d) Essie weeping bitterly.
5. What is Laura now doing at Buddy's suggestion?
(a) Implements Buddy's idea to announce gambling numbers from the stage of the church.
(b) Having a service three times a week.
(c) Changes from the sale of holy water to the sale of bone chips from the disciples.
(d) Having three services each Sunday.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what does Marietta muse?
2. When Buddy comes in, what does he say about Marty?
3. When Laura is alone, upon what does she reflect?
4. What is likely foreshadowed in the scene between Buddy and Laura in Chapter 27?
5. While Buddy is kissing her, what does Laura do?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)