|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Laura is alone, upon what does she reflect?
(a) That she wishes she had stayed in the South.
(b) That she's caught between Essie and Buddy - one too holy, the other not holy enough.
(c) That she is at the height of her glory.
(d) That she wishes she were more like Essie.
2. What is likely foreshadowed in the scene between Buddy and Laura in Chapter 27?
(a) Nothing out of the ordinary.
(b) A possible reconciliation.
(d) Serious trouble in their relationship.
3. What does going "North" mean to Southern Blacks at the time of this story?
(a) Anyplace not in Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana or Mississippi.
(b) Moving to Canada.
(c) Freedom to ride the bus anywhere they wanted, being able to shop in the same stores and drink sodas from the same soda fountains.
(d) Anyplace north of the Mason/Dixon.
4. What does Laura hear two women saying about Buddy?
(a) That he has left New York.
(b) That he has secretly married a woman much younger than he.
(c) That a handsome man like him is a "cross to bear" for the woman in his life.
(d) That he has taken over the west side gambling.
5. Who spends less time at the apartment after Marietta moves in?
(b) Buddy and Laura.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the police arrest?
2. What does Essie say to Laura?
3. What has Essie forbidden while Marietta is living with Laura and Essie?
4. How do Laura and Essie react to Buddy's obvious attraction to Marietta?
5. Who isn't around as much as he used to be?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)