|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visits Essie in jail?
(c) Birdie Lee.
2. What does Laura hear two women saying about Buddy?
(a) That he has taken over the west side gambling.
(b) That he has secretly married a woman much younger than he.
(c) That he has left New York.
(d) That a handsome man like him is a "cross to bear" for the woman in his life.
3. What does Laura collect for each lucky text?
(a) A dime.
(b) Three pennies.
(c) A quarter.
4. Who does CJ say he will beat up?
(a) No one.
(b) Buddy for stealing from Marietta.
(c) Any man who does not respect Essie.
(d) Buddy or any man who tries to take advantage of Marietta.
5. When Buddy comes in, what does he say about Marty?
(a) That Marty has gotten religion.
(b) How happy Marty is that business with the Lucky Texts is making so much money.
(c) That Marty has been murdered.
(d) That Marty wants a bigger take.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Laura unable to hear from her end of the jail?
2. Why is Laura unhappy about Birdie Lee?
3. To what does Essie compare her fear at this time?
4. Who spends less time at the apartment after Marietta moves in?
5. About what is Essie concerned?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)