|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the image of Buddy and Laura's sparkling eyes invoke?
(a) An image of starlight.
(b) An image of a diamond in the rough.
(c) The glint of steel as it is about to kill someone.
(d) The glint of the diamond eyes of the serpent in the Adam and Eve mural at the church.
2. What are Laura's robes like?
(a) Tailor cut.
(b) Brightly colored.
(c) White for purity.
3. Where does Essie say that the spark to convert has to come from?
(a) People's hearts.
(b) Laura's sermons.
(c) The music.
4. What is Essie's response to Laura's suggestion on buying the Bible?
(a) She is hesitant but knows it's the only way.
(b) She faints.
(c) She will take money out of her welfare payments because she does not want to start a church on gambling profits.
(d) She thinks it's a great idea.
5. To whom does Laura liken many of her personality traits?
(a) Her oldest sister.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her sixth-grade teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plan do Laura and Buddy devise?
2. Of what does Laura accuse Essie?
3. What does Essie want to discuss with Laura?
4. What might be a theme of this story symbolically portrayed in the final lines of this chapter?
5. How much money have they accumulated at the opening of Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think any more information about Laura's fate is not offered in this final chapter?
2. Of what might the serpent with eyes that sparkle like diamonds in Chapter 11 be symbolic?
3. How is the title of Chapter 28 also relevant in the relationship between Laura and Essie?
4. What do you think might be the significance of the title "Palm Sunday," of Chapter 1?
5. What do you think one of the main themes might be just based upon the differences in the two major characters as shown in this opening chapter?
6. What might have changed the course of Laura's life if Essie had thrown the knife away when Chicken-Crow-For-Day throws away his weapons in Chapter 12?
7. Laura needs Buddy to be softer and more loving. Does this surprise you and do you think Buddy is capable of that?
8. There are two things that Essie mentions that foreshadow future events. Name two possible things that foreshadow future events and what you think they might foreshadow.
9. How do you think the classic Aesop's fable about the tortoise and the hare seems to be a good metaphor for what is happening in Essie and Laura's life?
10. What truth do you think Birdie Lee might reveal in the future as foreshadowed in Chapter 19?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)