|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laura do after they are persuaded?
(a) Says "Amen."
(b) Begins to plan how to spend all her money.
(c) Starts preaching on the corner immediately.
(d) Says "God is Great."
2. What plan do Laura and Buddy devise?
(a) To siphon money out of the church funds.
(b) To sell prayer indulgences.
(c) To gradually get Essie out of the church altogether.
(d) To sell ordinary tap water as holy water from the river Jordan.
3. What do the two say about Essie?
(a) That her daughter refuses to move to New York.
(b) That she is the reason the church saves so many souls.
(c) That Essie is much more serious about life than Laura.
(d) That she is judgmental.
4. What are some of Laura's "rocks" for security?
(a) Church, her daughter, and liquor.
(b) Men, her daughter, and church.
(c) The numbers, her daughter, and church.
(d) Men, the numbers, and liquor.
5. What is Essie's response to Laura's suggestion on buying the Bible?
(a) She will take money out of her welfare payments because she does not want to start a church on gambling profits.
(b) She faints.
(c) She is hesitant but knows it's the only way.
(d) She thinks it's a great idea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Birdie Lee?
2. What do they name the new church in the theater?
3. What does Laura discover after she has talked about her life for some time?
4. What does Essie think Laura should be thinking?
5. What scheme does Buddy suggest for making more money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Essie refuses to throw away her knife as Laura urges her to do?
2. How do you think the classic Aesop's fable about the tortoise and the hare seems to be a good metaphor for what is happening in Essie and Laura's life?
3. What does Laura tell Essie about Marietta and CJ and why do you think she does so?
4. How is the narration's description of the North being a Black mecca ironic?
5. What does it say about Laura as a person to send Marietta downstairs to get Essie knowing what Marietta will find?
6. How do you think Marietta feels having been raised in the rural South to arrive in Harlem and find an older, very attractive man flirting with her?
7. Why do you think the author has Buddy proposing that the fake holy water they are selling be said to be water from the River Jordan?
8. What do you think CJ's initial motives are in trying to get Marietta to make love with him and why do you think that changes?
9. In Chapter 20, Laura gives some details about her early childhood; in what way is Laura the same as her mother?
10. How is the title of Chapter 28 also relevant in the relationship between Laura and Essie?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)