|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money have they accumulated at the opening of Chapter 13?
(a) Fifteen thousand dollars.
(b) Two thousand dollars.
(c) One thousand dollars.
(d) Ten thousand dollars.
2. How does Essie clean her nails?
(a) By cutting them down to the quick.
(b) With a knife she keeps on her for protection.
(c) By scouring them with a brillo pad.
(d) By soaking her fingers in soapy water.
3. When Laura encourages Essie, what does Essie do?
(a) Sings louder.
(b) Begins to sob instead of crying quietly.
(c) Prays with more fervency.
(d) Falls silent and becomes very still, entering into one of the "pauses" into which she frequently falls.
4. What happens as they pass the tambourine?
(a) It is stolen.
(b) It is dumped along with its money into the sewer grate.
(c) It is broken by accident.
(d) It quickly fills with money.
5. What does the image of Buddy and Laura's sparkling eyes invoke?
(a) An image of a diamond in the rough.
(b) An image of starlight.
(c) The glint of steel as it is about to kill someone.
(d) The glint of the diamond eyes of the serpent in the Adam and Eve mural at the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Essie feel about the new apartment?
2. How does Laura inspire Essie?
3. What does Laura say about Essie that is hurtful?
4. What does Laura do to keep the cops from stopping the preaching because of no license?
5. What does Chicken-Crow-For-Day throw out the window?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think the classic Aesop's fable about the tortoise and the hare seems to be a good metaphor for what is happening in Essie and Laura's life?
2. What does it say about Laura as a person to send Marietta downstairs to get Essie knowing what Marietta will find?
3. Do you think Buddy's conversion is sincere?
4. What do you think CJ's initial motives are in trying to get Marietta to make love with him and why do you think that changes?
5. How do the images of light and dark represent the way the white man Marty is involved behind the scenes in the church?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 1, how are the two women described and what might be construed by these descriptions?
7. Laura needs Buddy to be softer and more loving. Does this surprise you and do you think Buddy is capable of that?
8. Why do you think Chapter 33 is titled "Watch with Me"?
9. Why do you think something that seems such a minor detail should be mentioned, such as the fact that Birdie is always running to the bathroom?
10. What do you think is the significance of Chapter 11's title "Ethiopian Eden"?
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)