|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laura want from Essie the next morning?
(a) The morning newspaper.
(b) A commitment for the church idea.
(c) Her betting stubs.
(d) Coffee and money.
2. What does the image of Buddy and Laura's sparkling eyes invoke?
(a) The glint of steel as it is about to kill someone.
(b) An image of starlight.
(c) The glint of the diamond eyes of the serpent in the Adam and Eve mural at the church.
(d) An image of a diamond in the rough.
3. About what is Essie worried?
(a) About when she can bring her daughter to live with her.
(b) About the way Laura is carrying on.
(c) About how she can get out of the city with some money.
(d) About how Laura seems ill.
4. What does Laura say Essie can provide?
(a) The flowers.
(b) The preaching.
(c) The decorations.
(d) The music.
5. What is distracting Laura from listening to Essie?
(a) Laura is too busy worrying about where she's going to get some gambling money and wine.
(b) Laura is talking on the phone.
(c) Laura is trying to figure out how to seduce the new man down the block.
(d) Laura is talking to a pimp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Laura want to start a church?
2. How does Buddy refer to Laura and himself?
3. Of what does Laura accuse Essie?
4. What central conflict does this chapter set up?
5. Who does Laura meet as she is closing the church one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which woman would you support in the argument about what to do with their first 2,000 dollars and why?
2. Why do you think Essie refuses to throw away her knife as Laura urges her to do?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 1, how are the two women described and what might be construed by these descriptions?
4. What do you think is the significance of Chapter 11's title "Ethiopian Eden"?
5. How does previous foreshadowing play out in Chapter 30?
6. Do you think Essie's journey towards spiritual enlightenment is helped or hindered by being thrown into jail?
7. Why do you think any more information about Laura's fate is not offered in this final chapter?
8. Do you think Essie is turning a blind eye to Laura giving out "lucky texts" from the pulpit, or do you think she really believes Laura is just trying to give the congregation hope?
9. There are two things that Essie mentions that foreshadow future events. Name two possible things that foreshadow future events and what you think they might foreshadow.
10. What does it say about Laura as a person to send Marietta downstairs to get Essie knowing what Marietta will find?
This section contains 1,367 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)