|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Essie's response to Laura's suggestion on buying the Bible?
(a) She is hesitant but knows it's the only way.
(b) She will take money out of her welfare payments because she does not want to start a church on gambling profits.
(c) She thinks it's a great idea.
(d) She faints.
2. When do the women actually start preaching?
(a) Late February.
(b) Well into Spring.
(c) Early July.
(d) Right after the New Year.
3. What does Essie do after they are persuaded?
(a) Hugs Laura.
(b) Gets on her knees and prays.
(c) Starts dancing and singing gospel songs.
(d) Calls to the neighbors to tell them.
4. What is Birdie Lee going to get?
(a) An altar.
(b) A new piano.
(c) A new set of drums.
(d) A font for the holy water.
5. What do the two say about Essie?
(a) That her daughter refuses to move to New York.
(b) That she is judgmental.
(c) That Essie is much more serious about life than Laura.
(d) That she is the reason the church saves so many souls.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Buddy refer to Laura and himself?
2. As Laura leaves, what is she hoping?
3. Who joins Chicken-Crow-For-Day in reciting sins?
4. How does Essie clean her nails?
5. What does Laura say she can provide?
Short Essay Questions
1. The ending of Chapter 1 and the beginning of Chapter 36, both are concerned with hymns singing to God; how are the circumstances different and alike in the two chapters?
2. Just as Laura says she is like her mother in many ways, in what ways does Laura contrast herself to her mother?
3. In Chapter 21, narration expounds on what it means to go "North" to Southern Negroes; summarize narrations statements.
4. How does Laura "fight unfair" in Essie and Laura's argument in Chapter 13?
5. How would you summarize the most overarching theme of this book?
6. There are two things that Essie mentions that foreshadow future events. Name two possible things that foreshadow future events and what you think they might foreshadow.
7. Why do you think Chapter 33 is titled "Watch with Me"?
8. How is the narration's description of the North being a Black mecca ironic?
9. What is ironic about the beginning of Essie and Laura's church?
10. What do you think is the significance of Chapter 11's title "Ethiopian Eden"?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)