|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do they name the new church in the theater?
(a) L & E's singin' and praisin'.
(b) The Reed Sister's Praise and Gospel Hour.
(c) The Reed Sisters'Tambourine Temple.
(d) The LE Praise and Gospel Hour.
2. How does Laura describe the church apartment?
(a) A Garden of Cornucopia delights.
(b) The Ethiopian paradise.
(c) The garden after Eve's fall.
(d) An Ethiopian Garden of Eden.
3. Of what do they persuade each other?
(a) That it is a foolish pipe dream.
(b) That God inspired them.
(c) That the idea could work.
(d) That the devil inspired them.
4. When do the women actually start preaching?
(a) Late February.
(b) Early July.
(c) Right after the New Year.
(d) Well into Spring.
5. What is Laura planning?
(a) Where her new dressing room will be.
(b) To marry Buddy.
(c) Her new sermons.
(d) How to leverage Essie out of the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ironic about Chicken-Crow-For-Day saying he has been washed clean and white by the love of God?
2. How are Essie and Laura described on the first day of church in their new place?
3. What would be a general description of Essie?
4. What does Laura think about the Lord's help?
5. What does the clerk give Essie when she pays off the Bible?
Short Essay Questions
1. There are two things that Essie mentions that foreshadow future events. Name two possible things that foreshadow future events and what you think they might foreshadow.
2. What truth do you think Birdie Lee might reveal in the future as foreshadowed in Chapter 19?
3. In Chapter 21, narration expounds on what it means to go "North" to Southern Negroes; summarize narrations statements.
4. How does previous foreshadowing play out in Chapter 30?
5. How does Laura seem to have her moment of transformation as she comes to jail and confronts Essie?
6. How is the title of Chapter 28, "Cross to Bear" relevant to Buddy and Laura's relationship?
7. What might have changed the course of Laura's life if Essie had thrown the knife away when Chicken-Crow-For-Day throws away his weapons in Chapter 12?
8. What rationale does Laura use to try to convince Essie to start a church with her and does it seem a reasonable rationale?
9. Do you think Buddy's conversion is sincere?
10. What do you think might be the significance of the title "Palm Sunday," of Chapter 1?
This section contains 1,367 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)