|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Essie's response to Laura's suggestion on buying the Bible?
(a) She will take money out of her welfare payments because she does not want to start a church on gambling profits.
(b) She thinks it's a great idea.
(c) She is hesitant but knows it's the only way.
(d) She faints.
2. How is the church a few blocks away doing?
(a) It's making enough money to pay the light bill.
(b) Making no money, but saving lots of souls.
(c) Making lots of money.
(d) It folded in two weeks.
3. What does Chicken-Crow-For-Day do?
(a) Proposes to Essie.
(b) Proclaims himself as a dyed-in-the-wool sinner.
(c) Declares that he should be the new preacher.
(d) Helps himself to some of the collections as they pass.
4. What does Laura say Buddy is going to become?
(a) The new minister.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her bodyguard.
(d) Her business manager.
5. What does Laura do to keep the cops from stopping the preaching because of no license?
(a) Gives them sex.
(b) Bribes them.
(c) Nothing since the problem has miraculously not happened.
(d) Tells them God will fix their problems.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laura think Essie will think of Buddy and Laura's plan?
2. What do they name the new church in the theater?
3. What does the clerk give Essie when she pays off the Bible?
4. What is Laura clutching at the end of the chapter as the two women make a decision?
5. What does Laura plan to do when cold weather hits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is the significance of Chapter 11's title "Ethiopian Eden"?
2. What do you think the reason is for Essie's pauses, the first of which we see in Chapter 2?
3. What do you think is the symbolism of the rock mentioned in Chapter 3?
4. What does Laura tell Essie about Marietta and CJ and why do you think she does so?
5. How does the relationship between CJ and Marietta compare to that of Laura and Buddy in Chapters 26 and 27?
6. What two things are mentioned that have already been mentioned in previous chapters and what might be the significance of their being mentioned again?
7. What might have changed the course of Laura's life if Essie had thrown the knife away when Chicken-Crow-For-Day throws away his weapons in Chapter 12?
8. How does Laura seem to have her moment of transformation as she comes to jail and confronts Essie?
9. How is the title of Chapter 28, "Cross to Bear" relevant to Buddy and Laura's relationship?
10. Of what might the serpent with eyes that sparkle like diamonds in Chapter 11 be symbolic?
This section contains 1,280 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)