|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has it been since Essie has seen her daughter?
(a) A few months.
(b) 1 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 4 years.
2. What might be a theme of this story symbolically portrayed in the final lines of this chapter?
(a) That wine and church do not mix.
(b) The self-fueling obsession with pleasure can prevent awareness of opportunities for spiritual growth.
(c) That a bad motive can turn out positively.
(d) That one should suspect people who start churches without a license.
3. What would be an accurate description as to how Laura is described in Chapter 3?
(b) Attractive and sexual.
(c) Sad and homely.
(d) Joyful and meek.
4. What does Essie do when Laura inspires her?
(a) Runs inside to get her Bible.
(b) Sings a gospel church.
(d) Jumps up and starts preaching.
5. What is distracting Laura from listening to Essie?
(a) Laura is talking on the phone.
(b) Laura is talking to a pimp.
(c) Laura is too busy worrying about where she's going to get some gambling money and wine.
(d) Laura is trying to figure out how to seduce the new man down the block.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Laura inspire Essie?
2. What does Essie want to do with the money?
3. What is Laura clutching at the end of the chapter as the two women make a decision?
4. How is the church a few blocks away doing?
5. What is ironic about Chicken-Crow-For-Day saying he has been washed clean and white by the love of God?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think the classic Aesop's fable about the tortoise and the hare seems to be a good metaphor for what is happening in Essie and Laura's life?
2. What do you think is the significance of the title to Chapter 29, "Apple of Evil"?
3. What do you think the reason is for Essie's pauses, the first of which we see in Chapter 2?
4. What do you think might be the significance of the title "Palm Sunday," of Chapter 1?
5. How do you think Marietta feels having been raised in the rural South to arrive in Harlem and find an older, very attractive man flirting with her?
6. What do you think is the significance of Chapter 26's title, "Moon Over Harlem"?
7. What do you think is the significance of Chapter 11's title "Ethiopian Eden"?
8. A psychological aberration is a person who is called a sociopath. A very loose definition would be someone unconcerned with the consequences of his/her actions on others and who rationalize their actions. Who seems to have sociopathic tendencies as shown in chapter 10 and why do you say that?
9. What do you think is the symbolism of the rock mentioned in Chapter 3?
10. What image at the end of this chapter is particularly striking and tells much about Laura?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)