|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Essie watch while they are preaching and singing?
(a) The people who are watching them.
(b) For anyone who seems to need encouragement to give.
(c) For potential robbers.
(d) For an indication that God is actually present.
2. How does Buddy describe Marty?
(a) As a white boy who thinks he's conning the people of Harlem.
(b) As a white man who is in the know.
(c) As the power behind the throne all over Harlem.
(d) As a white man who is a friend to Negros.
3. What are Essie and Laura doing at the opening of this novel?
(a) Smoking on the stoop of the apartment.
(b) Comparing memories of the Palm Sundays, Easters, and church-going habits of their childhoods.
(c) At a horse race.
(d) Eating at Dewdrop diner.
4. What plan do Laura and Buddy devise?
(a) To sell prayer indulgences.
(b) To gradually get Essie out of the church altogether.
(c) To sell ordinary tap water as holy water from the river Jordan.
(d) To siphon money out of the church funds.
5. What would be a general description of Laura?
(a) A tall, six-foot, two-inch woman who loves sugared dates.
(b) Tiny breasted, sincerely religious.
(c) Tiny breasted, sexual, practical, goes to AA.
(d) Large breasted, sexual, sensual, and fond of her liquor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has not yet bought any holy water?
2. What is Essie's opinion of Laura's lifestyle?
3. What do Essie's imaginings lead her to do?
4. How long has it been since Essie has seen her daughter?
5. For what does Laura say they need money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the author has Buddy proposing that the fake holy water they are selling be said to be water from the River Jordan?
2. What does Laura do to keep the cops from shutting down their church?
3. Of what might the serpent with eyes that sparkle like diamonds in Chapter 11 be symbolic?
4. How do the images of light and dark represent the way the white man Marty is involved behind the scenes in the church?
5. In Chapter 20, Laura gives some details about her early childhood; in what way is Laura the same as her mother?
6. A psychological aberration is a person who is called a sociopath. A very loose definition would be someone unconcerned with the consequences of his/her actions on others and who rationalize their actions. Who seems to have sociopathic tendencies as shown in chapter 10 and why do you say that?
7. What do you think is the symbolism of the rock mentioned in Chapter 3?
8. How does the relationship between CJ and Marietta compare to that of Laura and Buddy in Chapters 26 and 27?
9. Why do you think any more information about Laura's fate is not offered in this final chapter?
10. What do you think is the significance of Chapter 11's title "Ethiopian Eden"?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)