|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Essie say that the spark to convert has to come from?
(a) People's hearts.
(b) Laura's sermons.
(c) The music.
2. How are Essie and Laura described on the first day of church in their new place?
(a) As singing and preaching with a fervor that neither had ever had before.
(b) As fearful of the police busting them.
(c) As angels of vengeance.
(d) Not as enthusiastic as when they were on the street corner.
3. Who has not yet bought any holy water?
(c) Birdie Lee.
4. What does Laura think Essie will think of Buddy and Laura's plan?
(a) She will turn them in to the authorities.
(b) She'll be upset.
(c) She'll wish she had thought of it.
(d) She'll think it's ingenious.
5. What does Chapter 6 describe?
(a) The two women's contrasting appearances.
(b) It is a detailed description of the Bible they bought.
(c) The pimp who threatens them for stealing his members.
(d) The first night the women go out to preach.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scheme does Buddy suggest for making more money?
2. How does Essie feel about the new apartment?
3. For what does Laura say they need money?
4. Approximately when does Chapter 19 take place?
5. Who is evicted to make room for the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is the significance of Chapter 11's title "Ethiopian Eden"?
2. What do you think is the significance of the title, "Judas in Scarlett"?
3. The ending of Chapter 1 and the beginning of Chapter 36, both are concerned with hymns singing to God; how are the circumstances different and alike in the two chapters?
4. What two things are mentioned that have already been mentioned in previous chapters and what might be the significance of their being mentioned again?
5. Why do you think the author has Buddy proposing that the fake holy water they are selling be said to be water from the River Jordan?
6. How does the relationship between CJ and Marietta compare to that of Laura and Buddy in Chapters 26 and 27?
7. What does Laura suggest near the end of chapter eight that seems to set the dynamics of how Essie and Laura participate in the "church" and what do you think might be the consequences?
8. Laura needs Buddy to be softer and more loving. Does this surprise you and do you think Buddy is capable of that?
9. Why do you think something that seems such a minor detail should be mentioned, such as the fact that Birdie is always running to the bathroom?
10. Why do you think Chapter 33 is titled "Watch with Me"?
This section contains 1,297 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)