|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chicken-Crow-For-Day do?
(a) Helps himself to some of the collections as they pass.
(b) Proposes to Essie.
(c) Declares that he should be the new preacher.
(d) Proclaims himself as a dyed-in-the-wool sinner.
2. What is Birdie Lee going to get?
(a) A new set of drums.
(b) A new piano.
(c) An altar.
(d) A font for the holy water.
3. What does the clerk give Essie when she pays off the Bible?
(a) A picture of Jesus.
(b) A bookmark with the 23rd Psalm on it.
(c) A picture of the last supper.
(d) A wall hanging saying GOD BLESS THIS HOME.
4. Of what is Laura still jealous?
(b) Them white folks what's got so much.
(d) Birdie Lee.
5. Of what does Essie say there will be none?
(a) Black men in the church.
(b) Male ministers.
(c) White people attending.
(d) White choir members.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Laura clutching at the end of the chapter as the two women make a decision?
2. What does Laura say Essie can provide?
3. What does Laura think Essie will think of Buddy and Laura's plan?
4. What does Laura think about the Lord's help?
5. What might be a theme of this story symbolically portrayed in the final lines of this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what might the serpent with eyes that sparkle like diamonds in Chapter 11 be symbolic?
2. What does Laura tell Essie about Marietta and CJ and why do you think she does so?
3. A psychological aberration is a person who is called a sociopath. A very loose definition would be someone unconcerned with the consequences of his/her actions on others and who rationalize their actions. Who seems to have sociopathic tendencies as shown in chapter 10 and why do you say that?
4. What does it say about Laura as a person to send Marietta downstairs to get Essie knowing what Marietta will find?
5. Why do you think something that seems such a minor detail should be mentioned, such as the fact that Birdie is always running to the bathroom?
6. Do you believe Buddy really is upset that Essie does seem to believe his conversion is sincere?
7. What two things are mentioned that have already been mentioned in previous chapters and what might be the significance of their being mentioned again?
8. What do you think is the symbolism of the rock mentioned in Chapter 3?
9. How does Laura "fight unfair" in Essie and Laura's argument in Chapter 13?
10. What does Laura do to keep the cops from shutting down their church?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)