|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Buddy describe Marty?
(a) As a white man who is a friend to Negros.
(b) As a white man who is in the know.
(c) As the power behind the throne all over Harlem.
(d) As a white boy who thinks he's conning the people of Harlem.
2. Approximately when does Chapter 19 take place?
(a) It is a flashback to a year before Laura and Essie set up their church.
(b) About 2 months after Laura and Essie set up their church.
(c) Ten years after Laura and Essie set up their church.
(d) Just less than a year since Laura and Essie set up their church.
3. What are Laura's robes like?
(a) Tailor cut.
(b) White for purity.
(c) Brightly colored.
4. Why does Laura want to start a church?
(a) To save souls.
(b) To please God.
(c) To be able to be on display.
(d) To make money.
5. As Laura leaves, what is she hoping?
(a) That Essie will reconsider.
(b) That a favorite of her many men friends will visit that night.
(c) That Essie doesn't bring her daughter there.
(d) To win the next ten thousand dollar pot at the tracks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laura discover after she has talked about her life for some time?
2. What does the clerk give Essie when she pays off the Bible?
3. What is distracting Laura from listening to Essie?
4. What does Essie do when Laura inspires her?
5. What scheme does Buddy suggest for making more money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Assuming many images in a short novel such as this one can be significant, of what do you think Essie's knife could be symbolic?
2. What do you think is the significance of the title of Chapter 17, "Lights Out"?
3. What do you think the tambourines represent and why it is the title of the book?
4. In Chapter 20, Laura gives some details about her early childhood; in what way is Laura the same as her mother?
5. Which woman would you support in the argument about what to do with their first 2,000 dollars and why?
6. How do the images of light and dark represent the way the white man Marty is involved behind the scenes in the church?
7. Of what might the serpent with eyes that sparkle like diamonds in Chapter 11 be symbolic?
8. What is ironic about Laura's thoughts about Buddy in Chapter 30?
9. How does previous foreshadowing play out in Chapter 30?
10. What do you think is the symbolism of the rock mentioned in Chapter 3?
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)