|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Essie want to discuss with Laura?
(a) Getting a preaching license from city hall.
(b) Taking the bus to Brooklyn to visit Essie's mother.
(c) Bringing Essie's daughter there.
(d) The idea for the church.
2. What does Laura do after they are persuaded?
(a) Starts preaching on the corner immediately.
(b) Says "God is Great."
(c) Says "Amen."
(d) Begins to plan how to spend all her money.
3. What does the clerk give Essie when she pays off the Bible?
(a) A picture of the last supper.
(b) A wall hanging saying GOD BLESS THIS HOME.
(c) A bookmark with the 23rd Psalm on it.
(d) A picture of Jesus.
4. Of what does Essie say there will be none?
(a) White people attending.
(b) Male ministers.
(c) Black men in the church.
(d) White choir members.
5. What would be a general description of Laura?
(a) Tiny breasted, sincerely religious.
(b) A tall, six-foot, two-inch woman who loves sugared dates.
(c) Tiny breasted, sexual, practical, goes to AA.
(d) Large breasted, sexual, sensual, and fond of her liquor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over what do the women argue in Chapter 7?
2. When do the women arrive at the street corner?
3. Why does Laura hire an artist?
4. Approximately when does Chapter 19 take place?
5. How does Essie describe the Bible she finds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the reason is for Essie's pauses, the first of which we see in Chapter 2?
2. Why do you think any more information about Laura's fate is not offered in this final chapter?
3. Why do you think Essie refuses to throw away her knife as Laura urges her to do?
4. In Chapter 20, Laura gives some details about her early childhood; in what way is Laura the same as her mother?
5. How is the title of Chapter 28 also relevant in the relationship between Laura and Essie?
6. What do you think is the significance of the title of Chapter 17, "Lights Out"?
7. How does previous foreshadowing play out in Chapter 30?
8. Just as Laura says she is like her mother in many ways, in what ways does Laura contrast herself to her mother?
9. What do you think might be the significance of the title "Palm Sunday," of Chapter 1?
10. Why do you think the author has Buddy proposing that the fake holy water they are selling be said to be water from the River Jordan?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)