|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the image of Buddy and Laura's sparkling eyes invoke?
(a) The glint of steel as it is about to kill someone.
(b) The glint of the diamond eyes of the serpent in the Adam and Eve mural at the church.
(c) An image of starlight.
(d) An image of a diamond in the rough.
2. What does Chicken-Crow-For-Day throw out the window?
(a) His shoes because they have walked tainted streets.
(b) A quarter.
(c) His throws his pistol and knife.
(d) His bottle of whiskey.
3. Why does Laura begin to sing?
(a) To cheer up Essie.
(b) To praise the Lord.
(c) To express how good she feels.
(d) To get the people's attention.
4. Where do Buddy and Laura go?
(a) Out for a night of drinking.
(b) To the bus station to pick up Essie's daughter.
(c) To Laura's apartment.
(d) To the City Hall to get a preaching license.
5. How does Buddy refer to Laura and himself?
(a) As David and Bathsheba.
(b) As the Humphrey and Bacall of religion.
(c) As Adam and Eve.
(d) As the Bonnie and Clyde of religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Essie clean her nails?
2. What would be a general description of Laura?
3. What is distracting Laura from listening to Essie?
4. What does Laura say Essie can provide?
5. Over what do the women argue in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about the name of the man Laura meets in Chapter 14?
2. How would you summarize the most overarching theme of this book?
3. How is the narration's description of the North being a Black mecca ironic?
4. Why do you think Essie refuses to throw away her knife as Laura urges her to do?
5. Do you think Buddy's conversion is sincere?
6. Assuming many images in a short novel such as this one can be significant, of what do you think Essie's knife could be symbolic?
7. How does Laura "fight unfair" in Essie and Laura's argument in Chapter 13?
8. What image at the end of this chapter is particularly striking and tells much about Laura?
9. How is the title of Chapter 28 also relevant in the relationship between Laura and Essie?
10. How is the title of Chapter 28, "Cross to Bear" relevant to Buddy and Laura's relationship?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)