|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money have they accumulated at the opening of Chapter 13?
(a) One thousand dollars.
(b) Ten thousand dollars.
(c) Two thousand dollars.
(d) Fifteen thousand dollars.
2. What are some of Laura's "rocks" for security?
(a) Men, her daughter, and church.
(b) Men, the numbers, and liquor.
(c) Church, her daughter, and liquor.
(d) The numbers, her daughter, and church.
3. What is Buddy planning?
(a) To try again to leverage Essie out of the church.
(b) To embezzle church funds.
(c) To marry Laura.
(d) The move of the new church to a renovated movie theater.
4. To whom does Laura liken many of her personality traits?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her oldest sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her sixth-grade teacher.
5. What does Laura discover after she has talked about her life for some time?
(a) That Essie isn't in the room anymore.
(b) That Buddy is asleep.
(c) That Buddy does not believe her.
(d) That Essie is asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laura say Essie can provide?
2. Of what does Laura accuse Essie?
3. How is the church a few blocks away doing?
4. As Laura leaves, what is she hoping?
5. What does Laura think Essie will think of Buddy and Laura's plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what might the serpent with eyes that sparkle like diamonds in Chapter 11 be symbolic?
2. What do you think CJ's initial motives are in trying to get Marietta to make love with him and why do you think that changes?
3. What is ironic about the name of the man Laura meets in Chapter 14?
4. The ending of Chapter 1 and the beginning of Chapter 36, both are concerned with hymns singing to God; how are the circumstances different and alike in the two chapters?
5. What do you think is the significance of the title to Chapter 29, "Apple of Evil"?
6. Laura needs Buddy to be softer and more loving. Does this surprise you and do you think Buddy is capable of that?
7. How is the title of Chapter 34 related to the New Testament?
8. Do you think Buddy's conversion is sincere?
9. Do you think Essie is turning a blind eye to Laura giving out "lucky texts" from the pulpit, or do you think she really believes Laura is just trying to give the congregation hope?
10. How does the relationship between CJ and Marietta compare to that of Laura and Buddy in Chapters 26 and 27?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)