|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sees Laura stabbing Buddy?
(b) Birdie Lee.
2. About what does CJ seem surprised?
(a) When CJ learns he is accepted into Columbia University.
(b) When Marietta says she wants to be a writer.
(c) When Marietta says she is moving back to the South.
(d) When Marietta says she loves him.
3. What does going "North" mean to Southern Blacks at the time of this story?
(a) Anyplace north of the Mason/Dixon.
(b) Anyplace not in Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana or Mississippi.
(c) Moving to Canada.
(d) Freedom to ride the bus anywhere they wanted, being able to shop in the same stores and drink sodas from the same soda fountains.
4. What does Laura give Buddy for his birthday?
(a) A Studebaker.
(b) A custom suit.
(c) A Cadillac.
(d) A Buick.
5. What does Buddy shout out?
(b) There will probably be some numbers played with those texts the next day.
6. What has Essie forbidden while Marietta is living with Laura and Essie?
(a) Buddy spending the night.
(b) Buddy coming over at all.
(c) Any men hanging around the house.
(d) Any alcohol in the house.
7. About what is Essie concerned?
(a) Laura's spending habits.
(b) Laura's health.
(c) Marietta's pregnancy.
(d) Laura's alcohol consumption.
8. Who isn't around as much as he used to be?
(a) Crow Boy.
9. How does Laura feel towards Essie?
(a) She is angry that Essie moves.
(b) She is glad she is not there anymore.
(c) She is jealous of Essie.
(d) She misses her.
10. How does Buddy see Laura?
(a) As the light of his life.
(b) As being too soft, too sweet, and about to melt like chocolate.
(c) As a beautiful cup of coffee with cream.
(d) As a woman past her prime.
11. What happens when Buddy speaks crudely about how young the "bitch" is?
(a) Laura starts crying.
(b) Laura becomes very calm.
(c) Laura tells Buddy to leave the church and never return.
(d) Laura screams curse words at Buddy.
12. What does Laura do with all her money before she came to jail?
(a) Put it all in the church's account.
(b) Gave it to Marietta.
(c) Hid it where no one can find it.
(d) Gave it to Marty.
13. How does Essie get to the church?
(a) A ride with someone in the neighborhood.
(b) On the subway.
(c) Driving her car.
14. Who does Laura accuse of killing Buddy?
(c) An unknown robber.
15. Why is Buddy angry with Laura?
(a) Because she does not throw him a towel.
(b) Because she is jealous of his other girlfriends.
(c) Because she won't do what he tells her about the church.
(d) Because he is jealous of the attention Laura receives at church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marietta do at the church?
2. Who is the woman that Laura calls a "bitch"?
3. What does CJ want?
4. What does Essie say to Laura?
5. What is the tone of his asking?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)