|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does going "North" mean to Southern Blacks at the time of this story?
(a) Freedom to ride the bus anywhere they wanted, being able to shop in the same stores and drink sodas from the same soda fountains.
(b) Anyplace not in Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana or Mississippi.
(c) Anyplace north of the Mason/Dixon.
(d) Moving to Canada.
2. What do CJ and Marietta want to do after the church service?
(a) Go get hamburgers.
(b) Go to the Jazz festival.
(c) Go to the movies.
(d) Go to some friends' home for board games.
3. What does CJ want?
(a) To become a preacher.
(b) To make love to Marietta.
(c) To date other women.
(d) To marry Marietta.
4. How does Laura see Buddy as he is coming out of the shower?
(a) As getting a little flabby.
(b) Hard and strong and sexy.
(c) As a man past his prime.
(d) As handsome as the day they met.
5. How does Buddy see Laura?
(a) As being too soft, too sweet, and about to melt like chocolate.
(b) As a beautiful cup of coffee with cream.
(c) As the light of his life.
(d) As a woman past her prime.
6. What does Buddy's conversion do to Essie?
(a) Causes her to weep tears of joy.
(b) Sends her into a long pause.
(c) Makes her feel cynical.
(d) Makes her willing to let Marietta date him.
7. Where are Marietta and CJ?
(a) At the apartment.
(b) In the church.
(c) In a park.
(d) At CJ's apartment.
8. What does Marietta do at the church?
(a) Plays the organ.
(b) Passes around the collection plate.
(c) Turns the overhead fan on hot days.
(d) Joins the choir.
9. How often does Essie go to church?
(a) On Sundays.
(c) Three times a week.
(d) Twice a week.
10. Why is Laura unhappy about Birdie Lee?
(a) She is taking too much attention away from Laura.
(b) She is no longer playing the drums.
(c) She is flirting with Buddy.
(d) She has to go to the bathroom too much.
11. Who do the police arrest?
(a) A man hiding behind the garbage dump outside.
12. What does Birdie Lee say about generosity?
(a) How Laura though generous has a mean streak.
(b) That generosity well-placed is well rewarded.
(c) That the church can avoid a lawyer because of Essie's generosity.
(d) How generous Essie was to her when they first met.
13. About what does CJ seem surprised?
(a) When Marietta says she loves him.
(b) When Marietta says she is moving back to the South.
(c) When Marietta says she wants to be a writer.
(d) When CJ learns he is accepted into Columbia University.
14. What is Marietta's response?
(a) She wants to marry.
(b) She thinks it's a good idea to date others.
(c) She would love him to become a preacher.
(d) She is a nice girl with morals.
15. About what is Essie concerned?
(a) Marietta's pregnancy.
(b) Laura's health.
(c) Laura's alcohol consumption.
(d) Laura's spending habits.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what does Marietta muse?
2. What does Laura hear two women saying about Buddy?
3. What does Laura do when she comes into the jail and is locked up?
4. Who seems smitten with Marietta?
5. Where do Essie and Marietta move?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)