|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what is Laura most interested?
(a) Moving out of Harlem.
(b) Laura is imagining all the things she can do with all the money she can bring in if she plays the numbers racket as Buddy suggested.
2. About what does CJ seem surprised?
(a) When CJ learns he is accepted into Columbia University.
(b) When Marietta says she is moving back to the South.
(c) When Marietta says she wants to be a writer.
(d) When Marietta says she loves him.
3. Why does Laura say she's going to put her purse in Essie's coat pocket?
(a) So Essie can get some money out of it for subway fare.
(b) To hide it from CJ.
(c) To keep it safe.
(d) So Laura doesn't leave it in the church again like last night.
4. How does Essie get to the church?
(b) A ride with someone in the neighborhood.
(c) Driving her car.
(d) On the subway.
5. How does Laura feel towards Essie?
(a) She is jealous of Essie.
(b) She misses her.
(c) She is glad she is not there anymore.
(d) She is angry that Essie moves.
6. What does Laura do when she comes into the jail and is locked up?
(a) She does not say a word.
(b) She apologizes, confesses to killing Buddy, and asks for forgiveness.
(c) She screams "Murderer" at Essie.
(d) She says she is innocent, but so is Essie.
7. For what is Buddy hungry?
(a) A plate of Southern fried chicken.
(b) Collard greens, Southern style.
(c) A tuna sandwich.
(d) A rare steak.
8. Who does CJ say he will beat up?
(a) Buddy for stealing from Marietta.
(b) No one.
(c) Buddy or any man who tries to take advantage of Marietta.
(d) Any man who does not respect Essie.
9. How does Laura see Buddy as he is coming out of the shower?
(a) Hard and strong and sexy.
(b) As getting a little flabby.
(c) As a man past his prime.
(d) As handsome as the day they met.
10. To what does Essie compare her fear at this time?
(a) The time she was locked in a dark cellar for a day and half and she survives.
(b) The fear of dying.
(c) Christ's fear in the Garden of Gethsemane the night before his crucifixion.
(d) The fear that Marietta would die when she was really ill at age 6.
11. What does Buddy ask for after showering?
(c) A ride uptown.
12. Who does Laura accuse of killing Buddy?
(d) An unknown robber.
13. Where do Essie and Marietta move?
(a) No where new.
(b) To a condominium in Brooklyn.
(c) To a small house in the suburbs.
(d) To an apartment in the same building as the church.
14. What angers Laura as she arrives at the church?
(a) That Buddy's car is not there and Birdie Lee is singing beautifully.
(b) That the flowers have not been put on the altar.
(c) That Essie is not there.
(d) That CJ and Marietta are smooching in Laura's dressing room.
15. What doesn't Essie miss?
(a) The smell of alcohol.
(b) The screams and sirens in Harlem.
(c) The drugs on the streets.
(d) The gangs on the streets.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Buddy threaten Laura?
2. Who seems smitten with Marietta?
3. Upon what does Marietta muse?
4. When Buddy comes in, what does he say about Marty?
5. Who visits Essie in jail?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)