|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Buddy ask for after showering?
(a) A ride uptown.
2. What do CJ and Marietta want to do after the church service?
(a) Go to the Jazz festival.
(b) Go get hamburgers.
(c) Go to some friends' home for board games.
(d) Go to the movies.
3. To what does Birdie confess?
(a) How she allowed an innocent man to go to jail for a crime committed by a man she loved.
(b) To giving up her daughter for adoption.
(c) That she slept with Buddy.
(d) That she wished her father dead and he dies in an accident two days later.
4. What does Laura hear two women saying about Buddy?
(a) That he has taken over the west side gambling.
(b) That a handsome man like him is a "cross to bear" for the woman in his life.
(c) That he has left New York.
(d) That he has secretly married a woman much younger than he.
5. When Laura is alone, upon what does she reflect?
(a) That she wishes she were more like Essie.
(b) That she is at the height of her glory.
(c) That she wishes she had stayed in the South.
(d) That she's caught between Essie and Buddy - one too holy, the other not holy enough.
6. How does Essie get to the church?
(a) A ride with someone in the neighborhood.
(c) On the subway.
(d) Driving her car.
7. What is Laura now doing at Buddy's suggestion?
(a) Implements Buddy's idea to announce gambling numbers from the stage of the church.
(b) Changes from the sale of holy water to the sale of bone chips from the disciples.
(c) Having three services each Sunday.
(d) Having a service three times a week.
8. While Buddy is kissing her, what does Laura do?
(a) Bites his lip.
(b) Kicks him in the groin.
(c) Stabs him in the back.
9. Where do Essie and Marietta move?
(a) No where new.
(b) To a condominium in Brooklyn.
(c) To a small house in the suburbs.
(d) To an apartment in the same building as the church.
10. Who visits Essie in jail?
(d) Birdie Lee.
11. Who do the police arrest?
(d) A man hiding behind the garbage dump outside.
12. How often does Essie go to church?
(a) Twice a week.
(b) On Sundays.
(c) Three times a week.
13. Who does Laura accuse of killing Buddy?
(b) An unknown robber.
14. Who does CJ say he will beat up?
(a) Buddy for stealing from Marietta.
(b) Any man who does not respect Essie.
(c) Buddy or any man who tries to take advantage of Marietta.
(d) No one.
15. For what is Buddy hungry?
(a) A rare steak.
(b) Collard greens, Southern style.
(c) A tuna sandwich.
(d) A plate of Southern fried chicken.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what does Marietta muse?
2. What does Laura give Buddy for his birthday?
3. What does Laura do with all her money before she came to jail?
4. Who spends less time at the apartment after Marietta moves in?
5. Who isn't around as much as he used to be?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)