|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Birdie Lee say about generosity?
(a) That generosity well-placed is well rewarded.
(b) That the church can avoid a lawyer because of Essie's generosity.
(c) How generous Essie was to her when they first met.
(d) How Laura though generous has a mean streak.
2. Where are Marietta and CJ?
(a) At the apartment.
(b) In a park.
(c) At CJ's apartment.
(d) In the church.
3. Who do the police arrest?
(c) A man hiding behind the garbage dump outside.
4. Who sees Laura stabbing Buddy?
(a) Birdie Lee.
5. How does Essie get to the church?
(a) Driving her car.
(c) A ride with someone in the neighborhood.
(d) On the subway.
6. What does Marietta do at the church?
(a) Passes around the collection plate.
(b) Joins the choir.
(c) Turns the overhead fan on hot days.
(d) Plays the organ.
7. In what is Laura most interested?
(b) Moving out of Harlem.
(d) Laura is imagining all the things she can do with all the money she can bring in if she plays the numbers racket as Buddy suggested.
8. When Buddy comes in, what does he say about Marty?
(a) That Marty wants a bigger take.
(b) How happy Marty is that business with the Lucky Texts is making so much money.
(c) That Marty has been murdered.
(d) That Marty has gotten religion.
9. How often does Essie go to church?
(a) On Sundays.
(b) Three times a week.
(d) Twice a week.
10. What does Laura collect for each lucky text?
(a) Three pennies.
(c) A dime.
(d) A quarter.
11. What does Laura do with all her money before she came to jail?
(a) Gave it to Marty.
(b) Hid it where no one can find it.
(c) Put it all in the church's account.
(d) Gave it to Marietta.
12. While Buddy is kissing her, what does Laura do?
(b) Kicks him in the groin.
(c) Bites his lip.
(d) Stabs him in the back.
13. Why is Buddy angry with Laura?
(a) Because she won't do what he tells her about the church.
(b) Because she is jealous of his other girlfriends.
(c) Because he is jealous of the attention Laura receives at church.
(d) Because she does not throw him a towel.
14. Why does Laura threaten Buddy?
(a) Because she thinks he plans to let Marty take over the church.
(b) Because she is jealous that he is trying to seduce Marietta.
(c) Because she doesn't want him to hurt Marietta.
(d) Because he borrowed some money from her and has not paid it back.
15. About what does Laura complain?
(a) That Marietta has talked about Laura meanly behind her back.
(b) That CJ isn't loud enough with the "Amen's."
(c) That the drums always stop just before she's about to make her entrance.
(d) That Birdie Lee is not up to her usual standards of playing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what does Marietta muse?
2. What doesn't Essie miss?
3. To what does Essie compare her fear at this time?
4. What does Essie imagine doing with the church?
5. What has Essie forbidden while Marietta is living with Laura and Essie?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)