|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do CJ and Marietta want to do after the church service?
(a) Go to the movies.
(b) Go to the Jazz festival.
(c) Go get hamburgers.
(d) Go to some friends' home for board games.
2. What does Laura hear two women saying about Buddy?
(a) That he has left New York.
(b) That he has taken over the west side gambling.
(c) That he has secretly married a woman much younger than he.
(d) That a handsome man like him is a "cross to bear" for the woman in his life.
3. How does Essie get to the church?
(a) A ride with someone in the neighborhood.
(b) On the subway.
(c) Driving her car.
4. What does Buddy's conversion do to Essie?
(a) Sends her into a long pause.
(b) Makes her feel cynical.
(c) Causes her to weep tears of joy.
(d) Makes her willing to let Marietta date him.
5. To what does Birdie confess?
(a) That she wished her father dead and he dies in an accident two days later.
(b) How she allowed an innocent man to go to jail for a crime committed by a man she loved.
(c) To giving up her daughter for adoption.
(d) That she slept with Buddy.
6. What is Laura now doing at Buddy's suggestion?
(a) Changes from the sale of holy water to the sale of bone chips from the disciples.
(b) Having three services each Sunday.
(c) Having a service three times a week.
(d) Implements Buddy's idea to announce gambling numbers from the stage of the church.
7. What does the visitor tell Essie?
(a) That Laura killed herself.
(b) That Birdie Lee told the police that she saw Laura kill Buddy.
(c) That the knife has Laura's fingerprints on it.
(d) That Buddy isn't dead as everyone thought and he told on Laura.
8. Who do the police arrest?
(c) A man hiding behind the garbage dump outside.
9. What does Buddy ask for after showering?
(b) A ride uptown.
10. Who spends less time at the apartment after Marietta moves in?
(d) Buddy and Laura.
11. Where are Marietta and CJ?
(a) In the church.
(b) In a park.
(c) At CJ's apartment.
(d) At the apartment.
12. What has Birdie Lee done?
(a) Sworn on the Bible that she is telling the truth.
(b) Gotten the entire congregation to picket the jail.
(c) Paid a private investigator to find out the truth about Buddy.
(d) Birdie Lee has come to see Essie, and has brought a lawyer.
13. What does Laura suggest about Marietta?
(a) That she be sent back to the South to protect her morals.
(b) That Essie try to get CJ to propose marriage.
(c) That Marietta is as loose as Laura is.
(d) That Marietta is seeing Buddy on the sly.
14. How is Marietta described?
(a) Very light skinned with light eyes.
(b) Large but proportionally shaped.
(c) About the same size as Essie.
(d) Tiny, delicate, and beautiful.
15. What does Laura do when she comes into the jail and is locked up?
(a) She says she is innocent, but so is Essie.
(b) She screams "Murderer" at Essie.
(c) She apologizes, confesses to killing Buddy, and asks for forgiveness.
(d) She does not say a word.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laura give Buddy for his birthday?
2. When Laura is alone, upon what does she reflect?
3. What does Essie imagine doing with the church?
4. What does Marietta do at the church?
5. As Laura is getting into her robes, who does she want to come see her?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)