|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sees Laura stabbing Buddy?
(a) Birdie Lee.
2. To what does Essie compare her fear at this time?
(a) Christ's fear in the Garden of Gethsemane the night before his crucifixion.
(b) The time she was locked in a dark cellar for a day and half and she survives.
(c) The fear that Marietta would die when she was really ill at age 6.
(d) The fear of dying.
3. In what is Laura most interested?
(a) Laura is imagining all the things she can do with all the money she can bring in if she plays the numbers racket as Buddy suggested.
(d) Moving out of Harlem.
4. Where are Marietta and CJ?
(a) In the church.
(b) At the apartment.
(c) In a park.
(d) At CJ's apartment.
5. About what is Essie concerned?
(a) Marietta's pregnancy.
(b) Laura's alcohol consumption.
(c) Laura's health.
(d) Laura's spending habits.
6. What does the visitor tell Essie?
(a) That Laura killed herself.
(b) That Birdie Lee told the police that she saw Laura kill Buddy.
(c) That Buddy isn't dead as everyone thought and he told on Laura.
(d) That the knife has Laura's fingerprints on it.
7. To what does Essie compare Laura's denial?
(a) To the way Negroes are denied freedom during the era of slavery.
(b) To the way Christ was denied by Saint Peter.
(c) To the way her daddy denied that Essie is his child.
(d) To the way her best friend in grade school denied being responsible for a window the girl broke and blames Essie.
8. What does Laura do with all her money before she came to jail?
(a) Gave it to Marty.
(b) Put it all in the church's account.
(c) Gave it to Marietta.
(d) Hid it where no one can find it.
9. How does Laura feel towards Essie?
(a) She misses her.
(b) She is glad she is not there anymore.
(c) She is jealous of Essie.
(d) She is angry that Essie moves.
10. Where do Essie and Marietta move?
(a) To a condominium in Brooklyn.
(b) To a small house in the suburbs.
(c) No where new.
(d) To an apartment in the same building as the church.
11. What is likely foreshadowed in the scene between Buddy and Laura in Chapter 27?
(a) Nothing out of the ordinary.
(c) Serious trouble in their relationship.
(d) A possible reconciliation.
12. What does Buddy shout out?
(b) There will probably be some numbers played with those texts the next day.
13. What is Marietta's response?
(a) She thinks it's a good idea to date others.
(b) She is a nice girl with morals.
(c) She would love him to become a preacher.
(d) She wants to marry.
14. What does Essie wish she had stopped Laura from doing?
(a) From avoiding being saved.
(b) From giving gambling tips in the sermons.
(c) From being so free and ostentatious with money.
(d) From lying about the knife.
15. Who does Laura accuse of killing Buddy?
(a) An unknown robber.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Essie in jail?
2. What does Laura hear two women saying about Buddy?
3. What does CJ promise to Marietta?
4. About what does Laura wonder as she is putting her purse away?
5. What has Essie forbidden while Marietta is living with Laura and Essie?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)