|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Buddy's conversion do to Essie?
(a) Causes her to weep tears of joy.
(b) Makes her feel cynical.
(c) Makes her willing to let Marietta date him.
(d) Sends her into a long pause.
2. Where do Essie and Marietta move?
(a) No where new.
(b) To a condominium in Brooklyn.
(c) To an apartment in the same building as the church.
(d) To a small house in the suburbs.
3. What does CJ want?
(a) To date other women.
(b) To become a preacher.
(c) To make love to Marietta.
(d) To marry Marietta.
4. Who does CJ say he will beat up?
(a) Any man who does not respect Essie.
(b) No one.
(c) Buddy or any man who tries to take advantage of Marietta.
(d) Buddy for stealing from Marietta.
5. How does Laura feel towards Essie?
(a) She is angry that Essie moves.
(b) She is glad she is not there anymore.
(c) She misses her.
(d) She is jealous of Essie.
6. What angers Laura as she arrives at the church?
(a) That Essie is not there.
(b) That the flowers have not been put on the altar.
(c) That CJ and Marietta are smooching in Laura's dressing room.
(d) That Buddy's car is not there and Birdie Lee is singing beautifully.
7. When Laura is alone, upon what does she reflect?
(a) That she wishes she were more like Essie.
(b) That she is at the height of her glory.
(c) That she wishes she had stayed in the South.
(d) That she's caught between Essie and Buddy - one too holy, the other not holy enough.
8. What doesn't Essie miss?
(a) The drugs on the streets.
(b) The gangs on the streets.
(c) The smell of alcohol.
(d) The screams and sirens in Harlem.
9. What is Laura now doing at Buddy's suggestion?
(a) Having three services each Sunday.
(b) Implements Buddy's idea to announce gambling numbers from the stage of the church.
(c) Having a service three times a week.
(d) Changes from the sale of holy water to the sale of bone chips from the disciples.
10. What does Essie imagine doing with the church?
(a) Inviting a real minister to serve there.
(b) Essie is making plans for establishing a day care center in the church and doing other forms of good.
(c) Closing it in a year's time.
(d) Making it legal.
11. To what does Buddy admit?
(a) Taking his new girlfriend gambling.
(b) Taking 100 dollars from Essie's purse.
(c) Taking 100 dollars from Laura's purse.
(d) Fathering a child with a young white woman.
12. What does Buddy ask for after showering?
(a) A ride uptown.
13. What is the tone of his asking?
14. About what is Essie concerned?
(a) Marietta's pregnancy.
(b) Laura's spending habits.
(c) Laura's alcohol consumption.
(d) Laura's health.
15. Who visits Essie in jail?
(d) Birdie Lee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do CJ and Marietta want to do after the church service?
2. What does Buddy shout out?
3. What do Laura and Buddy believe about Essie?
4. Who has Essie asked to come by and visit?
5. Where are Marietta and CJ?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)