|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marietta do at the church?
(a) Turns the overhead fan on hot days.
(b) Plays the organ.
(c) Passes around the collection plate.
(d) Joins the choir.
2. For what is Buddy hungry?
(a) Collard greens, Southern style.
(b) A plate of Southern fried chicken.
(c) A tuna sandwich.
(d) A rare steak.
3. How often does Essie go to church?
(b) Twice a week.
(c) On Sundays.
(d) Three times a week.
4. Who is the woman that Laura calls a "bitch"?
(a) A talented singer whom Marty is bankrolling in the belief that she'll have a great career.
(b) A new girl up from Georgia.
(c) A friend of Marietta's.
(d) The daughter of a former friend of Laura's.
5. What does going "North" mean to Southern Blacks at the time of this story?
(a) Moving to Canada.
(b) Freedom to ride the bus anywhere they wanted, being able to shop in the same stores and drink sodas from the same soda fountains.
(c) Anyplace north of the Mason/Dixon.
(d) Anyplace not in Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana or Mississippi.
6. How does Essie get to the church?
(b) A ride with someone in the neighborhood.
(c) Driving her car.
(d) On the subway.
7. About what does Laura wonder as she is putting her purse away?
(a) If Buddy is going to leave her.
(b) Why Essie still has such a ragged coat.
(c) Why the music in the church has stopped.
(d) Why it's impossible for a man to be a good man even when he's being treated like a good man.
8. What do CJ and Marietta want to do after the church service?
(a) Go to the movies.
(b) Go get hamburgers.
(c) Go to some friends' home for board games.
(d) Go to the Jazz festival.
9. What is Marietta's response?
(a) She is a nice girl with morals.
(b) She thinks it's a good idea to date others.
(c) She wants to marry.
(d) She would love him to become a preacher.
10. Who visits Essie in jail?
(c) Birdie Lee.
11. In what is Laura most interested?
(a) Laura is imagining all the things she can do with all the money she can bring in if she plays the numbers racket as Buddy suggested.
(c) Moving out of Harlem.
12. Who does CJ say he will beat up?
(a) Any man who does not respect Essie.
(b) Buddy for stealing from Marietta.
(c) No one.
(d) Buddy or any man who tries to take advantage of Marietta.
13. What does Laura hear two women saying about Buddy?
(a) That he has left New York.
(b) That he has secretly married a woman much younger than he.
(c) That he has taken over the west side gambling.
(d) That a handsome man like him is a "cross to bear" for the woman in his life.
14. What does Essie wish she had stopped Laura from doing?
(a) From being so free and ostentatious with money.
(b) From lying about the knife.
(c) From giving gambling tips in the sermons.
(d) From avoiding being saved.
15. Why is Buddy angry with Laura?
(a) Because she won't do what he tells her about the church.
(b) Because she is jealous of his other girlfriends.
(c) Because she does not throw him a towel.
(d) Because he is jealous of the attention Laura receives at church.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does CJ seem surprised?
2. What rumor is going around about Buddy?
3. Who seems smitten with Marietta?
4. To what does Birdie confess?
5. What does CJ want?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)