|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Laura wonder as she is putting her purse away?
(a) If Buddy is going to leave her.
(b) Why the music in the church has stopped.
(c) Why Essie still has such a ragged coat.
(d) Why it's impossible for a man to be a good man even when he's being treated like a good man.
2. What does the visitor tell Essie?
(a) That Laura killed herself.
(b) That Buddy isn't dead as everyone thought and he told on Laura.
(c) That Birdie Lee told the police that she saw Laura kill Buddy.
(d) That the knife has Laura's fingerprints on it.
3. What does Laura do with all her money before she came to jail?
(a) Hid it where no one can find it.
(b) Put it all in the church's account.
(c) Gave it to Marietta.
(d) Gave it to Marty.
4. What sustains Essie in the jail cell?
(a) Her daughter.
(b) Her knowledge that she did not kill Buddy.
(c) Her faith.
(d) Her belief that the police will find the real culprit.
5. What does Marietta do at the church?
(a) Plays the organ.
(b) Turns the overhead fan on hot days.
(c) Joins the choir.
(d) Passes around the collection plate.
6. What is likely foreshadowed in the scene between Buddy and Laura in Chapter 27?
(a) Nothing out of the ordinary.
(b) Serious trouble in their relationship.
(c) A possible reconciliation.
7. What does Buddy ask for after showering?
(d) A ride uptown.
8. To what does Essie compare Laura's denial?
(a) To the way her best friend in grade school denied being responsible for a window the girl broke and blames Essie.
(b) To the way her daddy denied that Essie is his child.
(c) To the way Christ was denied by Saint Peter.
(d) To the way Negroes are denied freedom during the era of slavery.
9. Who has Essie asked to come by and visit?
(a) The young lawyer down the street.
(b) No one.
(c) A respectable man from the church named C.J.
(d) The choir director who can be a fatherly figure to Marietta.
10. What do CJ and Marietta want to do after the church service?
(a) Go to the Jazz festival.
(b) Go to some friends' home for board games.
(c) Go get hamburgers.
(d) Go to the movies.
11. What does Birdie Lee say about generosity?
(a) That the church can avoid a lawyer because of Essie's generosity.
(b) How generous Essie was to her when they first met.
(c) That generosity well-placed is well rewarded.
(d) How Laura though generous has a mean streak.
12. What is Laura now doing at Buddy's suggestion?
(a) Having a service three times a week.
(b) Having three services each Sunday.
(c) Implements Buddy's idea to announce gambling numbers from the stage of the church.
(d) Changes from the sale of holy water to the sale of bone chips from the disciples.
13. How do Laura and Essie react to Buddy's obvious attraction to Marietta?
(a) They both think it's ridiculous.
(b) Laura becomes jealous, and Essie becomes protective.
(c) They are amused.
(d) They decide to watch Buddy carefully around her.
14. To what does Essie compare her fear at this time?
(a) The fear that Marietta would die when she was really ill at age 6.
(b) The time she was locked in a dark cellar for a day and half and she survives.
(c) Christ's fear in the Garden of Gethsemane the night before his crucifixion.
(d) The fear of dying.
15. Who visits Essie in jail?
(a) Birdie Lee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what does Marietta muse?
2. What angers Laura as she arrives at the church?
3. Who do the police arrest?
4. When does Marietta come to live with Essie?
5. About what does Laura complain?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)