|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laura do with all her money before she came to jail?
(a) Hid it where no one can find it.
(b) Put it all in the church's account.
(c) Gave it to Marty.
(d) Gave it to Marietta.
2. Why is Laura unhappy about Birdie Lee?
(a) She has to go to the bathroom too much.
(b) She is no longer playing the drums.
(c) She is flirting with Buddy.
(d) She is taking too much attention away from Laura.
3. What does Essie wish she had stopped Laura from doing?
(a) From being so free and ostentatious with money.
(b) From giving gambling tips in the sermons.
(c) From avoiding being saved.
(d) From lying about the knife.
4. Upon what does Marietta muse?
(a) That she wants to go to college like CJ.
(b) How she feels less excited in CJ's arms versus Buddy's arms.
(c) How she doesn't like being up North.
(d) That she is afraid to walk the streets of Harlem.
5. What does going "North" mean to Southern Blacks at the time of this story?
(a) Freedom to ride the bus anywhere they wanted, being able to shop in the same stores and drink sodas from the same soda fountains.
(b) Anyplace north of the Mason/Dixon.
(c) Anyplace not in Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana or Mississippi.
(d) Moving to Canada.
6. Who does Laura accuse of killing Buddy?
(b) An unknown robber.
7. What has Essie forbidden while Marietta is living with Laura and Essie?
(a) Any men hanging around the house.
(b) Buddy spending the night.
(c) Buddy coming over at all.
(d) Any alcohol in the house.
8. To what does Buddy admit?
(a) Taking his new girlfriend gambling.
(b) Fathering a child with a young white woman.
(c) Taking 100 dollars from Essie's purse.
(d) Taking 100 dollars from Laura's purse.
9. Who is the woman that Laura calls a "bitch"?
(a) A talented singer whom Marty is bankrolling in the belief that she'll have a great career.
(b) A friend of Marietta's.
(c) A new girl up from Georgia.
(d) The daughter of a former friend of Laura's.
10. How often does Essie go to church?
(a) Three times a week.
(b) On Sundays.
(c) Twice a week.
11. When Buddy comes in, what does he say about Marty?
(a) That Marty wants a bigger take.
(b) How happy Marty is that business with the Lucky Texts is making so much money.
(c) That Marty has been murdered.
(d) That Marty has gotten religion.
12. What does Laura hear two women saying about Buddy?
(a) That he has left New York.
(b) That he has taken over the west side gambling.
(c) That he has secretly married a woman much younger than he.
(d) That a handsome man like him is a "cross to bear" for the woman in his life.
13. What is likely foreshadowed in the scene between Buddy and Laura in Chapter 27?
(b) Nothing out of the ordinary.
(c) A possible reconciliation.
(d) Serious trouble in their relationship.
14. What do Laura and Buddy believe about Essie?
(a) That she is keeping others from buying the holy water.
(b) That she actually believes what Laura preaches.
(c) That she is becoming too holy.
(d) That she is embezzling money from the church.
15. In what is Laura most interested?
(c) Laura is imagining all the things she can do with all the money she can bring in if she plays the numbers racket as Buddy suggested.
(d) Moving out of Harlem.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the police arrest?
2. What happens when Buddy speaks crudely about how young the "bitch" is?
3. For what is Buddy hungry?
4. To what does Essie compare Laura's denial?
5. What does the visitor tell Essie?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)