|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Laura is alone, upon what does she reflect?
(a) That she is at the height of her glory.
(b) That she's caught between Essie and Buddy - one too holy, the other not holy enough.
(c) That she wishes she were more like Essie.
(d) That she wishes she had stayed in the South.
2. What does Laura do when she comes into the jail and is locked up?
(a) She does not say a word.
(b) She apologizes, confesses to killing Buddy, and asks for forgiveness.
(c) She screams "Murderer" at Essie.
(d) She says she is innocent, but so is Essie.
3. What do CJ and Marietta want to do after the church service?
(a) Go get hamburgers.
(b) Go to some friends' home for board games.
(c) Go to the movies.
(d) Go to the Jazz festival.
4. What does Laura hear two women saying about Buddy?
(a) That he has taken over the west side gambling.
(b) That he has secretly married a woman much younger than he.
(c) That he has left New York.
(d) That a handsome man like him is a "cross to bear" for the woman in his life.
5. In what is Laura most interested?
(a) Moving out of Harlem.
(d) Laura is imagining all the things she can do with all the money she can bring in if she plays the numbers racket as Buddy suggested.
6. About what is Essie concerned?
(a) Laura's alcohol consumption.
(b) Laura's health.
(c) Marietta's pregnancy.
(d) Laura's spending habits.
7. To what does Buddy admit?
(a) Taking 100 dollars from Laura's purse.
(b) Taking 100 dollars from Essie's purse.
(c) Fathering a child with a young white woman.
(d) Taking his new girlfriend gambling.
8. Who visits Essie in jail?
(d) Birdie Lee.
9. What rumor is going around about Buddy?
(a) That he is dying.
(b) That he is in cahoots with the police.
(c) That he is in jail for rape.
(d) That he is dating another woman.
10. How is Marietta described?
(a) Very light skinned with light eyes.
(b) About the same size as Essie.
(c) Large but proportionally shaped.
(d) Tiny, delicate, and beautiful.
11. What has Essie forbidden while Marietta is living with Laura and Essie?
(a) Any alcohol in the house.
(b) Buddy spending the night.
(c) Any men hanging around the house.
(d) Buddy coming over at all.
12. Why does Laura say she's going to put her purse in Essie's coat pocket?
(a) To hide it from CJ.
(b) To keep it safe.
(c) So Laura doesn't leave it in the church again like last night.
(d) So Essie can get some money out of it for subway fare.
13. About what does Laura complain?
(a) That CJ isn't loud enough with the "Amen's."
(b) That Marietta has talked about Laura meanly behind her back.
(c) That the drums always stop just before she's about to make her entrance.
(d) That Birdie Lee is not up to her usual standards of playing.
14. What does Laura do with all her money before she came to jail?
(a) Gave it to Marty.
(b) Hid it where no one can find it.
(c) Put it all in the church's account.
(d) Gave it to Marietta.
15. What does Birdie Lee say about generosity?
(a) How Laura though generous has a mean streak.
(b) That generosity well-placed is well rewarded.
(c) How generous Essie was to her when they first met.
(d) That the church can avoid a lawyer because of Essie's generosity.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Buddy comes in, what does he say about Marty?
2. Why is Laura unhappy about Birdie Lee?
3. As Laura is getting into her robes, who does she want to come see her?
4. Where are Marietta and CJ?
5. What does Essie say to Laura?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)