|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Buddy speaks crudely about how young the "bitch" is?
(a) Laura tells Buddy to leave the church and never return.
(b) Laura starts crying.
(c) Laura screams curse words at Buddy.
(d) Laura becomes very calm.
2. What does Buddy's conversion do to Essie?
(a) Makes her willing to let Marietta date him.
(b) Causes her to weep tears of joy.
(c) Sends her into a long pause.
(d) Makes her feel cynical.
3. What is likely foreshadowed in the scene between Buddy and Laura in Chapter 27?
(a) Nothing out of the ordinary.
(b) Serious trouble in their relationship.
(d) A possible reconciliation.
4. What sustains Essie in the jail cell?
(a) Her knowledge that she did not kill Buddy.
(b) Her belief that the police will find the real culprit.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) Her faith.
5. What does Buddy ask for after showering?
(d) A ride uptown.
6. Where are Marietta and CJ?
(a) In the church.
(b) At the apartment.
(c) In a park.
(d) At CJ's apartment.
7. What does Birdie Lee say about generosity?
(a) That the church can avoid a lawyer because of Essie's generosity.
(b) That generosity well-placed is well rewarded.
(c) How Laura though generous has a mean streak.
(d) How generous Essie was to her when they first met.
8. When does Marietta come to live with Essie?
(a) After finishing high school.
(b) After her junior year of high school.
(c) When she is 15.
(d) After college.
9. What do CJ and Marietta want to do after the church service?
(a) Go to the Jazz festival.
(b) Go to the movies.
(c) Go to some friends' home for board games.
(d) Go get hamburgers.
10. What does Essie say to Laura?
(a) Laura has been her friend, and that she'll make sure Laura gets a lawyer.
(b) She does not say anything.
(c) She hopes she rots in hell.
(d) She hopes Laura will accept Jesus into her heart.
11. Who has Essie asked to come by and visit?
(a) The young lawyer down the street.
(b) No one.
(c) A respectable man from the church named C.J.
(d) The choir director who can be a fatherly figure to Marietta.
12. While Buddy is kissing her, what does Laura do?
(a) Kicks him in the groin.
(c) Bites his lip.
(d) Stabs him in the back.
13. Where do Essie and Marietta move?
(a) To an apartment in the same building as the church.
(b) To a small house in the suburbs.
(c) To a condominium in Brooklyn.
(d) No where new.
14. What does CJ want?
(a) To make love to Marietta.
(b) To become a preacher.
(c) To marry Marietta.
(d) To date other women.
15. Who visits Essie in jail?
(b) Birdie Lee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Buddy angry with Laura?
2. Who seems smitten with Marietta?
3. As Laura is getting into her robes, who does she want to come see her?
4. Why does Laura threaten Buddy?
5. What does Buddy shout out?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)