|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Essie and Marietta move?
(a) To a small house in the suburbs.
(b) To a condominium in Brooklyn.
(c) To an apartment in the same building as the church.
(d) No where new.
2. What does CJ promise to Marietta?
(a) To be faithful.
(b) To never leave her.
(c) To respect her.
(d) To not date anyone seriously.
3. About what is Essie concerned?
(a) Laura's alcohol consumption.
(b) Marietta's pregnancy.
(c) Laura's spending habits.
(d) Laura's health.
4. Who do the police arrest?
(c) A man hiding behind the garbage dump outside.
5. What has Essie forbidden while Marietta is living with Laura and Essie?
(a) Buddy spending the night.
(b) Buddy coming over at all.
(c) Any alcohol in the house.
(d) Any men hanging around the house.
6. What does the visitor tell Essie?
(a) That Laura killed herself.
(b) That the knife has Laura's fingerprints on it.
(c) That Buddy isn't dead as everyone thought and he told on Laura.
(d) That Birdie Lee told the police that she saw Laura kill Buddy.
7. Upon what does Marietta muse?
(a) How she feels less excited in CJ's arms versus Buddy's arms.
(b) That she is afraid to walk the streets of Harlem.
(c) How she doesn't like being up North.
(d) That she wants to go to college like CJ.
8. What does Essie wish she had stopped Laura from doing?
(a) From being so free and ostentatious with money.
(b) From lying about the knife.
(c) From avoiding being saved.
(d) From giving gambling tips in the sermons.
9. Who sees Laura stabbing Buddy?
(a) Birdie Lee.
10. What is Marietta's response?
(a) She wants to marry.
(b) She would love him to become a preacher.
(c) She thinks it's a good idea to date others.
(d) She is a nice girl with morals.
11. What does Buddy ask for after showering?
(c) A ride uptown.
12. How does Buddy see Laura?
(a) As being too soft, too sweet, and about to melt like chocolate.
(b) As a woman past her prime.
(c) As a beautiful cup of coffee with cream.
(d) As the light of his life.
13. How does Laura feel towards Essie?
(a) She is glad she is not there anymore.
(b) She is jealous of Essie.
(c) She misses her.
(d) She is angry that Essie moves.
14. What does Laura give Buddy for his birthday?
(a) A Buick.
(b) A Cadillac.
(c) A Studebaker.
(d) A custom suit.
15. How often does Essie go to church?
(b) Twice a week.
(c) On Sundays.
(d) Three times a week.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what is Laura most interested?
2. To what does Essie compare Laura's denial?
3. Who does Laura accuse of killing Buddy?
4. What is Laura unable to hear from her end of the jail?
5. What does Marietta do at the church?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)