|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Essie compare Laura's denial?
(a) To the way her best friend in grade school denied being responsible for a window the girl broke and blames Essie.
(b) To the way Christ was denied by Saint Peter.
(c) To the way her daddy denied that Essie is his child.
(d) To the way Negroes are denied freedom during the era of slavery.
2. About what does CJ seem surprised?
(a) When Marietta says she loves him.
(b) When Marietta says she wants to be a writer.
(c) When Marietta says she is moving back to the South.
(d) When CJ learns he is accepted into Columbia University.
3. Why is Buddy angry with Laura?
(a) Because he is jealous of the attention Laura receives at church.
(b) Because she does not throw him a towel.
(c) Because she is jealous of his other girlfriends.
(d) Because she won't do what he tells her about the church.
4. What has Birdie Lee done?
(a) Birdie Lee has come to see Essie, and has brought a lawyer.
(b) Paid a private investigator to find out the truth about Buddy.
(c) Gotten the entire congregation to picket the jail.
(d) Sworn on the Bible that she is telling the truth.
5. How does Laura feel towards Essie?
(a) She is jealous of Essie.
(b) She is angry that Essie moves.
(c) She misses her.
(d) She is glad she is not there anymore.
6. How often does Essie go to church?
(a) Three times a week.
(b) Twice a week.
(d) On Sundays.
7. What does Buddy's conversion do to Essie?
(a) Makes her feel cynical.
(b) Sends her into a long pause.
(c) Causes her to weep tears of joy.
(d) Makes her willing to let Marietta date him.
8. What do CJ and Marietta want to do after the church service?
(a) Go to the movies.
(b) Go to some friends' home for board games.
(c) Go get hamburgers.
(d) Go to the Jazz festival.
9. What does going "North" mean to Southern Blacks at the time of this story?
(a) Moving to Canada.
(b) Anyplace north of the Mason/Dixon.
(c) Freedom to ride the bus anywhere they wanted, being able to shop in the same stores and drink sodas from the same soda fountains.
(d) Anyplace not in Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana or Mississippi.
10. While Buddy is kissing her, what does Laura do?
(a) Stabs him in the back.
(b) Bites his lip.
(d) Kicks him in the groin.
11. Who sees Laura stabbing Buddy?
(a) Birdie Lee.
12. What does the visitor tell Essie?
(a) That the knife has Laura's fingerprints on it.
(b) That Laura killed herself.
(c) That Buddy isn't dead as everyone thought and he told on Laura.
(d) That Birdie Lee told the police that she saw Laura kill Buddy.
13. Upon what does Marietta muse?
(a) That she is afraid to walk the streets of Harlem.
(b) How she feels less excited in CJ's arms versus Buddy's arms.
(c) How she doesn't like being up North.
(d) That she wants to go to college like CJ.
14. To what does Birdie confess?
(a) How she allowed an innocent man to go to jail for a crime committed by a man she loved.
(b) That she slept with Buddy.
(c) To giving up her daughter for adoption.
(d) That she wished her father dead and he dies in an accident two days later.
15. Who spends less time at the apartment after Marietta moves in?
(a) Buddy and Laura.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Essie asked to come by and visit?
2. Who does CJ say he will beat up?
3. What has Essie forbidden while Marietta is living with Laura and Essie?
4. For what is Buddy hungry?
5. Who do the police arrest?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)