|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Essie compare Laura's denial?
(a) To the way Negroes are denied freedom during the era of slavery.
(b) To the way her daddy denied that Essie is his child.
(c) To the way Christ was denied by Saint Peter.
(d) To the way her best friend in grade school denied being responsible for a window the girl broke and blames Essie.
2. What does CJ promise to Marietta?
(a) To be faithful.
(b) To respect her.
(c) To never leave her.
(d) To not date anyone seriously.
3. Why does Laura threaten Buddy?
(a) Because he borrowed some money from her and has not paid it back.
(b) Because she thinks he plans to let Marty take over the church.
(c) Because she is jealous that he is trying to seduce Marietta.
(d) Because she doesn't want him to hurt Marietta.
4. What is Laura unable to hear from her end of the jail?
(a) Essie singing a song of praise.
(b) A crowd chanting for her execution.
(c) Essie praying fervently for Laura's soul.
(d) Essie weeping bitterly.
5. What does Laura suggest about Marietta?
(a) That Marietta is as loose as Laura is.
(b) That Essie try to get CJ to propose marriage.
(c) That Marietta is seeing Buddy on the sly.
(d) That she be sent back to the South to protect her morals.
6. How do Laura and Essie react to Buddy's obvious attraction to Marietta?
(a) They both think it's ridiculous.
(b) They decide to watch Buddy carefully around her.
(c) Laura becomes jealous, and Essie becomes protective.
(d) They are amused.
7. What sustains Essie in the jail cell?
(a) Her knowledge that she did not kill Buddy.
(b) Her daughter.
(c) Her belief that the police will find the real culprit.
(d) Her faith.
8. What does Essie imagine doing with the church?
(a) Inviting a real minister to serve there.
(b) Making it legal.
(c) Closing it in a year's time.
(d) Essie is making plans for establishing a day care center in the church and doing other forms of good.
9. As Laura is getting into her robes, who does she want to come see her?
(b) Birdie Lee.
10. What happens when Buddy speaks crudely about how young the "bitch" is?
(a) Laura starts crying.
(b) Laura screams curse words at Buddy.
(c) Laura becomes very calm.
(d) Laura tells Buddy to leave the church and never return.
11. In what is Laura most interested?
(b) Moving out of Harlem.
(d) Laura is imagining all the things she can do with all the money she can bring in if she plays the numbers racket as Buddy suggested.
12. Who visits Essie in jail?
(c) Birdie Lee.
13. Who do the police arrest?
(b) A man hiding behind the garbage dump outside.
14. What does Laura do with all her money before she came to jail?
(a) Gave it to Marty.
(b) Hid it where no one can find it.
(c) Put it all in the church's account.
(d) Gave it to Marietta.
15. Upon what does Marietta muse?
(a) That she wants to go to college like CJ.
(b) How she doesn't like being up North.
(c) That she is afraid to walk the streets of Harlem.
(d) How she feels less excited in CJ's arms versus Buddy's arms.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Marietta and CJ?
2. What does CJ want?
3. Who has Essie asked to come by and visit?
4. What is likely foreshadowed in the scene between Buddy and Laura in Chapter 27?
5. How does Laura feel towards Essie?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)