|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Essie and Marietta move?
(a) To a condominium in Brooklyn.
(b) No where new.
(c) To an apartment in the same building as the church.
(d) To a small house in the suburbs.
2. What rumor is going around about Buddy?
(a) That he is dating another woman.
(b) That he is in cahoots with the police.
(c) That he is dying.
(d) That he is in jail for rape.
3. What does Birdie Lee say about generosity?
(a) How generous Essie was to her when they first met.
(b) How Laura though generous has a mean streak.
(c) That generosity well-placed is well rewarded.
(d) That the church can avoid a lawyer because of Essie's generosity.
4. When Buddy comes in, what does he say about Marty?
(a) That Marty has gotten religion.
(b) How happy Marty is that business with the Lucky Texts is making so much money.
(c) That Marty has been murdered.
(d) That Marty wants a bigger take.
5. What is Laura now doing at Buddy's suggestion?
(a) Having three services each Sunday.
(b) Changes from the sale of holy water to the sale of bone chips from the disciples.
(c) Implements Buddy's idea to announce gambling numbers from the stage of the church.
(d) Having a service three times a week.
6. Who isn't around as much as he used to be?
(b) Crow Boy.
7. What does CJ promise to Marietta?
(a) To be faithful.
(b) To not date anyone seriously.
(c) To respect her.
(d) To never leave her.
8. How does Laura feel towards Essie?
(a) She is glad she is not there anymore.
(b) She is jealous of Essie.
(c) She is angry that Essie moves.
(d) She misses her.
9. How does Buddy see Laura?
(a) As a woman past her prime.
(b) As the light of his life.
(c) As a beautiful cup of coffee with cream.
(d) As being too soft, too sweet, and about to melt like chocolate.
10. To what does Birdie confess?
(a) That she wished her father dead and he dies in an accident two days later.
(b) How she allowed an innocent man to go to jail for a crime committed by a man she loved.
(c) That she slept with Buddy.
(d) To giving up her daughter for adoption.
11. Why does Laura say she's going to put her purse in Essie's coat pocket?
(a) So Laura doesn't leave it in the church again like last night.
(b) So Essie can get some money out of it for subway fare.
(c) To keep it safe.
(d) To hide it from CJ.
12. Upon what does Marietta muse?
(a) That she is afraid to walk the streets of Harlem.
(b) How she doesn't like being up North.
(c) That she wants to go to college like CJ.
(d) How she feels less excited in CJ's arms versus Buddy's arms.
13. What does Laura do when she comes into the jail and is locked up?
(a) She screams "Murderer" at Essie.
(b) She does not say a word.
(c) She apologizes, confesses to killing Buddy, and asks for forgiveness.
(d) She says she is innocent, but so is Essie.
14. What does going "North" mean to Southern Blacks at the time of this story?
(a) Freedom to ride the bus anywhere they wanted, being able to shop in the same stores and drink sodas from the same soda fountains.
(b) Anyplace north of the Mason/Dixon.
(c) Moving to Canada.
(d) Anyplace not in Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana or Mississippi.
15. What does CJ want?
(a) To make love to Marietta.
(b) To date other women.
(c) To marry Marietta.
(d) To become a preacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laura give Buddy for his birthday?
2. About what does Laura wonder as she is putting her purse away?
3. What does Essie imagine doing with the church?
4. What does Essie say to Laura?
5. How does Essie get to the church?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)