|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laura hear two women saying about Buddy?
(a) That he has left New York.
(b) That he has secretly married a woman much younger than he.
(c) That he has taken over the west side gambling.
(d) That a handsome man like him is a "cross to bear" for the woman in his life.
2. How does Laura see Buddy as he is coming out of the shower?
(a) As a man past his prime.
(b) As handsome as the day they met.
(c) As getting a little flabby.
(d) Hard and strong and sexy.
3. What sustains Essie in the jail cell?
(a) Her faith.
(b) Her knowledge that she did not kill Buddy.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) Her belief that the police will find the real culprit.
4. For what is Buddy hungry?
(a) A tuna sandwich.
(b) Collard greens, Southern style.
(c) A plate of Southern fried chicken.
(d) A rare steak.
5. What does Essie say to Laura?
(a) She does not say anything.
(b) She hopes she rots in hell.
(c) She hopes Laura will accept Jesus into her heart.
(d) Laura has been her friend, and that she'll make sure Laura gets a lawyer.
6. To what does Essie compare her fear at this time?
(a) The time she was locked in a dark cellar for a day and half and she survives.
(b) The fear of dying.
(c) The fear that Marietta would die when she was really ill at age 6.
(d) Christ's fear in the Garden of Gethsemane the night before his crucifixion.
7. What do Laura and Buddy believe about Essie?
(a) That she is becoming too holy.
(b) That she is keeping others from buying the holy water.
(c) That she is embezzling money from the church.
(d) That she actually believes what Laura preaches.
8. What does Marietta do at the church?
(a) Passes around the collection plate.
(b) Plays the organ.
(c) Turns the overhead fan on hot days.
(d) Joins the choir.
9. What does Essie wish she had stopped Laura from doing?
(a) From lying about the knife.
(b) From giving gambling tips in the sermons.
(c) From avoiding being saved.
(d) From being so free and ostentatious with money.
10. What doesn't Essie miss?
(a) The smell of alcohol.
(b) The drugs on the streets.
(c) The screams and sirens in Harlem.
(d) The gangs on the streets.
11. How does Laura feel towards Essie?
(a) She misses her.
(b) She is jealous of Essie.
(c) She is glad she is not there anymore.
(d) She is angry that Essie moves.
12. Who spends less time at the apartment after Marietta moves in?
(b) Buddy and Laura.
13. How do Laura and Essie react to Buddy's obvious attraction to Marietta?
(a) They decide to watch Buddy carefully around her.
(b) They both think it's ridiculous.
(c) They are amused.
(d) Laura becomes jealous, and Essie becomes protective.
14. Who has Essie asked to come by and visit?
(a) No one.
(b) A respectable man from the church named C.J.
(c) The choir director who can be a fatherly figure to Marietta.
(d) The young lawyer down the street.
15. What does Buddy ask for after showering?
(c) A ride uptown.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Marietta and CJ?
2. Upon what does Marietta muse?
3. How does Buddy threaten Laura?
4. What do CJ and Marietta want to do after the church service?
5. What does Laura do with all her money before she came to jail?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)