|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Birdie Lee say about generosity?
(a) How Laura though generous has a mean streak.
(b) That generosity well-placed is well rewarded.
(c) That the church can avoid a lawyer because of Essie's generosity.
(d) How generous Essie was to her when they first met.
2. When Laura is alone, upon what does she reflect?
(a) That she wishes she were more like Essie.
(b) That she's caught between Essie and Buddy - one too holy, the other not holy enough.
(c) That she wishes she had stayed in the South.
(d) That she is at the height of her glory.
3. Who spends less time at the apartment after Marietta moves in?
(a) Buddy and Laura.
4. To what does Buddy admit?
(a) Taking 100 dollars from Essie's purse.
(b) Fathering a child with a young white woman.
(c) Taking 100 dollars from Laura's purse.
(d) Taking his new girlfriend gambling.
5. How often does Essie go to church?
(a) Twice a week.
(b) Three times a week.
(d) On Sundays.
6. What does Laura hear two women saying about Buddy?
(a) That he has left New York.
(b) That he has taken over the west side gambling.
(c) That he has secretly married a woman much younger than he.
(d) That a handsome man like him is a "cross to bear" for the woman in his life.
7. Who do the police arrest?
(b) A man hiding behind the garbage dump outside.
8. What is Laura now doing at Buddy's suggestion?
(a) Changes from the sale of holy water to the sale of bone chips from the disciples.
(b) Having a service three times a week.
(c) Implements Buddy's idea to announce gambling numbers from the stage of the church.
(d) Having three services each Sunday.
9. What sustains Essie in the jail cell?
(a) Her belief that the police will find the real culprit.
(b) Her daughter.
(c) Her knowledge that she did not kill Buddy.
(d) Her faith.
10. What does Essie imagine doing with the church?
(a) Inviting a real minister to serve there.
(b) Making it legal.
(c) Essie is making plans for establishing a day care center in the church and doing other forms of good.
(d) Closing it in a year's time.
11. How does Essie get to the church?
(a) A ride with someone in the neighborhood.
(b) On the subway.
(c) Driving her car.
12. Who sees Laura stabbing Buddy?
(a) Birdie Lee.
13. What does Laura do when she comes into the jail and is locked up?
(a) She does not say a word.
(b) She screams "Murderer" at Essie.
(c) She apologizes, confesses to killing Buddy, and asks for forgiveness.
(d) She says she is innocent, but so is Essie.
14. Where do Essie and Marietta move?
(a) No where new.
(b) To an apartment in the same building as the church.
(c) To a condominium in Brooklyn.
(d) To a small house in the suburbs.
15. What does Laura do with all her money before she came to jail?
(a) Gave it to Marty.
(b) Hid it where no one can find it.
(c) Put it all in the church's account.
(d) Gave it to Marietta.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is Essie concerned?
2. Why is Buddy angry with Laura?
3. What angers Laura as she arrives at the church?
4. How does Buddy see Laura?
5. What has Birdie Lee done?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)