|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Essie say to Laura?
(a) She does not say anything.
(b) Laura has been her friend, and that she'll make sure Laura gets a lawyer.
(c) She hopes Laura will accept Jesus into her heart.
(d) She hopes she rots in hell.
2. Who has Essie asked to come by and visit?
(a) The choir director who can be a fatherly figure to Marietta.
(b) The young lawyer down the street.
(c) A respectable man from the church named C.J.
(d) No one.
3. What does Laura give Buddy for his birthday?
(a) A Cadillac.
(b) A Studebaker.
(c) A custom suit.
(d) A Buick.
4. Why is Laura unhappy about Birdie Lee?
(a) She is no longer playing the drums.
(b) She is taking too much attention away from Laura.
(c) She is flirting with Buddy.
(d) She has to go to the bathroom too much.
5. What rumor is going around about Buddy?
(a) That he is dating another woman.
(b) That he is in cahoots with the police.
(c) That he is in jail for rape.
(d) That he is dying.
6. When Laura is alone, upon what does she reflect?
(a) That she is at the height of her glory.
(b) That she wishes she were more like Essie.
(c) That she wishes she had stayed in the South.
(d) That she's caught between Essie and Buddy - one too holy, the other not holy enough.
7. How does Buddy see Laura?
(a) As being too soft, too sweet, and about to melt like chocolate.
(b) As the light of his life.
(c) As a beautiful cup of coffee with cream.
(d) As a woman past her prime.
8. How often does Essie go to church?
(a) Three times a week.
(b) On Sundays.
(d) Twice a week.
9. What is Laura now doing at Buddy's suggestion?
(a) Implements Buddy's idea to announce gambling numbers from the stage of the church.
(b) Having three services each Sunday.
(c) Having a service three times a week.
(d) Changes from the sale of holy water to the sale of bone chips from the disciples.
10. Why does Laura say she's going to put her purse in Essie's coat pocket?
(a) To keep it safe.
(b) So Laura doesn't leave it in the church again like last night.
(c) To hide it from CJ.
(d) So Essie can get some money out of it for subway fare.
11. What is likely foreshadowed in the scene between Buddy and Laura in Chapter 27?
(a) A possible reconciliation.
(b) Serious trouble in their relationship.
(c) Nothing out of the ordinary.
12. What does going "North" mean to Southern Blacks at the time of this story?
(a) Anyplace not in Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana or Mississippi.
(b) Freedom to ride the bus anywhere they wanted, being able to shop in the same stores and drink sodas from the same soda fountains.
(c) Moving to Canada.
(d) Anyplace north of the Mason/Dixon.
13. What is Marietta's response?
(a) She thinks it's a good idea to date others.
(b) She is a nice girl with morals.
(c) She wants to marry.
(d) She would love him to become a preacher.
14. What has Birdie Lee done?
(a) Gotten the entire congregation to picket the jail.
(b) Birdie Lee has come to see Essie, and has brought a lawyer.
(c) Sworn on the Bible that she is telling the truth.
(d) Paid a private investigator to find out the truth about Buddy.
15. What does CJ promise to Marietta?
(a) To not date anyone seriously.
(b) To never leave her.
(c) To respect her.
(d) To be faithful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laura suggest about Marietta?
2. How does Laura see Buddy as he is coming out of the shower?
3. What is Laura unable to hear from her end of the jail?
4. About what is Essie concerned?
5. What doesn't Essie miss?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)