|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marietta do at the church?
(a) Joins the choir.
(b) Plays the organ.
(c) Passes around the collection plate.
(d) Turns the overhead fan on hot days.
2. Why does Laura threaten Buddy?
(a) Because she thinks he plans to let Marty take over the church.
(b) Because she is jealous that he is trying to seduce Marietta.
(c) Because he borrowed some money from her and has not paid it back.
(d) Because she doesn't want him to hurt Marietta.
3. To what does Buddy admit?
(a) Taking his new girlfriend gambling.
(b) Taking 100 dollars from Essie's purse.
(c) Fathering a child with a young white woman.
(d) Taking 100 dollars from Laura's purse.
4. What does Buddy ask for after showering?
(c) A ride uptown.
5. What has Birdie Lee done?
(a) Gotten the entire congregation to picket the jail.
(b) Sworn on the Bible that she is telling the truth.
(c) Birdie Lee has come to see Essie, and has brought a lawyer.
(d) Paid a private investigator to find out the truth about Buddy.
6. Why is Laura unhappy about Birdie Lee?
(a) She is taking too much attention away from Laura.
(b) She is flirting with Buddy.
(c) She has to go to the bathroom too much.
(d) She is no longer playing the drums.
7. What does Buddy shout out?
(d) There will probably be some numbers played with those texts the next day.
8. What doesn't Essie miss?
(a) The screams and sirens in Harlem.
(b) The gangs on the streets.
(c) The drugs on the streets.
(d) The smell of alcohol.
9. While Buddy is kissing her, what does Laura do?
(a) Stabs him in the back.
(b) Kicks him in the groin.
(d) Bites his lip.
10. What does Birdie Lee say about generosity?
(a) That the church can avoid a lawyer because of Essie's generosity.
(b) How Laura though generous has a mean streak.
(c) How generous Essie was to her when they first met.
(d) That generosity well-placed is well rewarded.
11. What does Laura collect for each lucky text?
(a) A dime.
(b) A quarter.
(d) Three pennies.
12. What angers Laura as she arrives at the church?
(a) That CJ and Marietta are smooching in Laura's dressing room.
(b) That Essie is not there.
(c) That the flowers have not been put on the altar.
(d) That Buddy's car is not there and Birdie Lee is singing beautifully.
13. To what does Essie compare her fear at this time?
(a) The time she was locked in a dark cellar for a day and half and she survives.
(b) Christ's fear in the Garden of Gethsemane the night before his crucifixion.
(c) The fear that Marietta would die when she was really ill at age 6.
(d) The fear of dying.
14. What does Essie imagine doing with the church?
(a) Making it legal.
(b) Inviting a real minister to serve there.
(c) Essie is making plans for establishing a day care center in the church and doing other forms of good.
(d) Closing it in a year's time.
15. What does Essie wish she had stopped Laura from doing?
(a) From avoiding being saved.
(b) From giving gambling tips in the sermons.
(c) From being so free and ostentatious with money.
(d) From lying about the knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the woman that Laura calls a "bitch"?
2. What does CJ promise to Marietta?
3. How does Essie get to the church?
4. What does Laura do with all her money before she came to jail?
5. Where are Marietta and CJ?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)