|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Laura's resentment to Birdie Lee vanish?
(a) Because Essie kicks her to make her behave.
(b) Because she realizes the spirit of the Lord is upon Birdie.
(c) Because Birdie drops a ten-dollar bill in the collection plate.
(d) Because the collection is larger than normal after Birdie comes forward.
2. What sound is heard outside as Buddy and Laura talk?
(a) A police bullhorn.
(b) A gunshot.
(c) The sound of screeching tires as someone comes to a sudden, dangerous stop.
(d) People singing gospel songs.
3. What cliche does Laura quote to convince Essie?
(a) Ask not and you get not.
(b) The Lord helps those who help themselves.
(c) Ask and ye shall receive.
(d) The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.
4. Who does Laura meet as she is closing the church one night?
(c) Birdie Lee.
5. What is Laura clutching at the end of the chapter as the two women make a decision?
(a) An empty wine glass.
(b) A gambling ticket.
(c) A bottle of Jim Daniels.
(d) A Bible.
6. Who is Birdie Lee?
(a) A prostitute who brings a message from her pimp.
(b) A cop who is watching the women to make sure they are not doing anything illegal.
(c) A small girl who wants her mommie to be healed.
(d) A small elderly woman who steps forward and promises that from that night on she's giving her life to Jesus.
7. Where does Essie say that the spark to convert has to come from?
(b) Laura's sermons.
(c) The music.
(d) People's hearts.
8. For what does Laura say they need money?
(a) For a tambourine and a Bible.
(b) To buy hymnals.
(c) To pay an organist.
(d) To rent the local community center.
9. What does Laura want from Essie the next morning?
(a) Coffee and money.
(b) The morning newspaper.
(c) Her betting stubs.
(d) A commitment for the church idea.
10. Of what does Laura accuse Essie?
(a) Of hypocrisy.
(b) Of being too holy and too self righteous.
(c) Of not really being committed to the church idea.
(d) Of not understanding Jesus's statement, "Render unto Caesar."
11. What would be a general description of Laura?
(a) Large breasted, sexual, sensual, and fond of her liquor.
(b) Tiny breasted, sexual, practical, goes to AA.
(c) A tall, six-foot, two-inch woman who loves sugared dates.
(d) Tiny breasted, sincerely religious.
12. What plan do Laura and Buddy devise?
(a) To sell prayer indulgences.
(b) To sell ordinary tap water as holy water from the river Jordan.
(c) To siphon money out of the church funds.
(d) To gradually get Essie out of the church altogether.
13. How does Buddy describe Marty?
(a) As a white boy who thinks he's conning the people of Harlem.
(b) As a white man who is a friend to Negros.
(c) As the power behind the throne all over Harlem.
(d) As a white man who is in the know.
14. How are Essie and Laura described on the first day of church in their new place?
(a) As angels of vengeance.
(b) As fearful of the police busting them.
(c) As singing and preaching with a fervor that neither had ever had before.
(d) Not as enthusiastic as when they were on the street corner.
15. To whom does Laura liken many of her personality traits?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her sixth-grade teacher.
(d) Her oldest sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Birdie Lee going to get?
2. What does Laura think about the Lord's help?
3. What does the clerk give Essie when she pays off the Bible?
4. What central conflict does this chapter set up?
5. What does Laura plan to do when cold weather hits?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)