|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who joins Chicken-Crow-For-Day in reciting sins?
(b) Birdie Lee.
(c) A cop on the beat.
2. In Chapter 4, what do the two women argue about concerning the Bible?
(a) Whether they should read from it at the opening of the preaching.
(b) Getting a less expensive Bible.
(c) What percentage of their first day's take will go towards its purchase.
(d) If they even need a Bible since both have many verses memorized.
3. Why does Laura want to start a church?
(a) To be able to be on display.
(b) To make money.
(c) To please God.
(d) To save souls.
4. How much money have they accumulated at the opening of Chapter 13?
(a) Fifteen thousand dollars.
(b) Ten thousand dollars.
(c) One thousand dollars.
(d) Two thousand dollars.
5. Why does Laura hire an artist?
(a) To sketch line drawings of Biblical scenes on the pews.
(b) To do a portrait of Laura to hang in the church.
(c) To inscribe the name of the church on a piece of slate.
(d) To paint murals of a black Adam and Eve and other Biblical scenes.
6. How does Laura suggest they buy the Bible?
(a) Profits from her gambling.
(b) Collecting money on the street corner.
(c) Asking the pimp down the street to buy it for them.
(d) She has no idea how they can afford it.
7. What does Laura want to do with the money?
(a) Get them better living quarters.
(b) Buy her man a car.
(c) Have a big party.
(d) Donate it to the overseas mission fund.
8. Who does the painting of Adam resemble in Laura's imagination?
(a) Joe Louis.
(b) Louis Armstrong.
(c) Martin Luther King.
(d) Lanston Hughes.
9. What does Laura ask when Essie encourages her to read her Bible?
(a) Where is the begats section.
(b) She knows enough of the Bible already.
(c) She knows she is saved even without a Bible.
(d) She really can't read too well.
10. What does Laura want from Essie the next morning?
(a) The morning newspaper.
(b) A commitment for the church idea.
(c) Her betting stubs.
(d) Coffee and money.
11. How does Essie feel about the new apartment?
(a) She is despondent.
(b) She is happy and thinks it came from God.
(c) Essie is ecstatic and grateful no matter where it came from.
(d) She is hesitant.
12. What is Laura clutching at the end of the chapter as the two women make a decision?
(a) An empty wine glass.
(b) A bottle of Jim Daniels.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A gambling ticket.
13. How long has it been since Essie has seen her daughter?
(a) 4 years.
(b) A few months.
(c) 1 years.
(d) 10 years.
14. What is Laura planning?
(a) To marry Buddy.
(b) Her new sermons.
(c) How to leverage Essie out of the church.
(d) Where her new dressing room will be.
15. What does Laura want to play a greater role in church services?
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Laura say they need money?
2. What are some of Laura's "rocks" for security?
3. What does Essie think Laura should be thinking?
4. What is Birdie Lee going to get?
5. What are Laura's robes like?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)