|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Essie's imaginings lead her to do?
2. What becomes the two women's church?
(a) The first floor in an old brownstone.
(b) The train station.
(c) The local Methodist chapel.
(d) Essie's apartment.
3. What sound is heard outside as Buddy and Laura talk?
(a) The sound of screeching tires as someone comes to a sudden, dangerous stop.
(b) A police bullhorn.
(c) People singing gospel songs.
(d) A gunshot.
4. What does Chicken-Crow-For-Day do?
(a) Helps himself to some of the collections as they pass.
(b) Proclaims himself as a dyed-in-the-wool sinner.
(c) Proposes to Essie.
(d) Declares that he should be the new preacher.
5. What do they name the new church in the theater?
(a) The Reed Sisters'Tambourine Temple.
(b) The Reed Sister's Praise and Gospel Hour.
(c) The LE Praise and Gospel Hour.
(d) L & E's singin' and praisin'.
6. What does Laura think about the Lord's help?
(a) That the Lord ain't never helped her before so why would he help now.
(b) That the Lord helps in abundance when the Spirit moves Laura to preach.
(c) That if the Lord is taking care of her, she can take care of her man.
(d) That the Lord helps them who helps themselves.
7. Why does Laura want to start a church?
(a) To save souls.
(b) To please God.
(c) To be able to be on display.
(d) To make money.
8. Over what do the women argue in Chapter 7?
(a) How to use the collection.
(b) Laura ruining the church's reputation.
(c) Laura using the money for booze.
(d) Which Bible to buy.
9. Of what does Essie say there will be none?
(a) Male ministers.
(b) Black men in the church.
(c) White choir members.
(d) White people attending.
10. What does Laura do to gain the church space?
(a) Invites the landlord to her home.
(b) Bribes the landlord and promises three months in advance rent.
(c) Threatens to turn in the landlord for code violations.
(d) Tells the landlord he can have 25 percent of the weekly collections.
11. Why does Laura hire an artist?
(a) To sketch line drawings of Biblical scenes on the pews.
(b) To do a portrait of Laura to hang in the church.
(c) To paint murals of a black Adam and Eve and other Biblical scenes.
(d) To inscribe the name of the church on a piece of slate.
12. When Laura encourages Essie, what does Essie do?
(a) Falls silent and becomes very still, entering into one of the "pauses" into which she frequently falls.
(b) Prays with more fervency.
(c) Sings louder.
(d) Begins to sob instead of crying quietly.
13. What does Chapter 6 describe?
(a) It is a detailed description of the Bible they bought.
(b) The first night the women go out to preach.
(c) The two women's contrasting appearances.
(d) The pimp who threatens them for stealing his members.
14. What plan do Laura and Buddy devise?
(a) To sell ordinary tap water as holy water from the river Jordan.
(b) To gradually get Essie out of the church altogether.
(c) To sell prayer indulgences.
(d) To siphon money out of the church funds.
15. How does Laura describe the church apartment?
(a) The Ethiopian paradise.
(b) A Garden of Cornucopia delights.
(c) An Ethiopian Garden of Eden.
(d) The garden after Eve's fall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Laura's robes like?
2. When do the women actually start preaching?
3. Why does Laura's resentment to Birdie Lee vanish?
4. How is the church a few blocks away doing?
5. How long has it been since Essie has seen her daughter?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)