|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Essie want to discuss with Laura?
(a) Taking the bus to Brooklyn to visit Essie's mother.
(b) Bringing Essie's daughter there.
(c) The idea for the church.
(d) Getting a preaching license from city hall.
2. Why does Laura begin to sing?
(a) To praise the Lord.
(b) To get the people's attention.
(c) To cheer up Essie.
(d) To express how good she feels.
3. What would be a general description of Essie?
(a) Essie is overweight, has a beautiful singing voice, and has a sixteen-year-old daughter.
(b) Essie is about 65, loves walking in the woods and canning fruits.
(c) Essie is petite with a size 18" waist, has a beautiful singing voice, and has a six-year-old daughter.
(d) Essie is almost 18, is fond of liquor and men.
4. Of what is Laura still jealous?
(b) Them white folks what's got so much.
(d) Birdie Lee.
5. Who does Laura meet as she is closing the church one night?
(d) Birdie Lee.
6. Who has not yet bought any holy water?
(d) Birdie Lee.
7. What might be a theme of this story symbolically portrayed in the final lines of this chapter?
(a) That one should suspect people who start churches without a license.
(b) That wine and church do not mix.
(c) That a bad motive can turn out positively.
(d) The self-fueling obsession with pleasure can prevent awareness of opportunities for spiritual growth.
8. What does Laura plan to do when cold weather hits?
(a) Stop preaching for the winter.
(b) She is not sure.
(c) Laura makes plans to rent an empty apartment, buy some chairs and a podium, and set up a church.
(d) Stand over the grate across the street to preach.
9. What does Laura say Buddy is going to become?
(a) Her business manager.
(b) Her bodyguard.
(c) The new minister.
(d) Her husband.
10. What is Laura clutching at the end of the chapter as the two women make a decision?
(a) A Bible.
(b) An empty wine glass.
(c) A gambling ticket.
(d) A bottle of Jim Daniels.
11. What does Laura do after they are persuaded?
(a) Says "God is Great."
(b) Says "Amen."
(c) Starts preaching on the corner immediately.
(d) Begins to plan how to spend all her money.
12. What sound is heard outside as Buddy and Laura talk?
(a) A gunshot.
(b) The sound of screeching tires as someone comes to a sudden, dangerous stop.
(c) People singing gospel songs.
(d) A police bullhorn.
13. What does Essie do after they are persuaded?
(a) Calls to the neighbors to tell them.
(b) Hugs Laura.
(c) Gets on her knees and prays.
(d) Starts dancing and singing gospel songs.
14. Why does Laura want to start a church?
(a) To please God.
(b) To save souls.
(c) To be able to be on display.
(d) To make money.
15. Of what does Laura accuse Essie?
(a) Of not understanding Jesus's statement, "Render unto Caesar."
(b) Of not really being committed to the church idea.
(c) Of being too holy and too self righteous.
(d) Of hypocrisy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laura do to keep the cops from stopping the preaching because of no license?
2. Of what does Essie say there will be none?
3. What does Laura think Essie will think of Buddy and Laura's plan?
4. What do Buddy and Laura do as a new scarlet curtain is hung as a backdrop for the services?
5. What does Laura want to play a greater role in church services?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)