|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens after Essie joins in on the song?
(a) Essie becomes inspired and everyone gets quiet to hear her.
(b) Others join.
(c) Laura stops and starts to pass the hat.
(d) Someone yells at them to be quiet.
2. What is Essie's opinion of Laura's lifestyle?
(a) Fast and loose.
(b) Calm and peaceful.
3. Why does Laura's resentment to Birdie Lee vanish?
(a) Because she realizes the spirit of the Lord is upon Birdie.
(b) Because the collection is larger than normal after Birdie comes forward.
(c) Because Birdie drops a ten-dollar bill in the collection plate.
(d) Because Essie kicks her to make her behave.
4. What becomes the two women's church?
(a) The train station.
(b) Essie's apartment.
(c) The first floor in an old brownstone.
(d) The local Methodist chapel.
5. What do Buddy and Laura do as a new scarlet curtain is hung as a backdrop for the services?
(c) Tell off-color jokes.
(d) Sing gospel songs.
6. What does Laura do to gain the church space?
(a) Invites the landlord to her home.
(b) Tells the landlord he can have 25 percent of the weekly collections.
(c) Threatens to turn in the landlord for code violations.
(d) Bribes the landlord and promises three months in advance rent.
7. How does Laura suggest they buy the Bible?
(a) Asking the pimp down the street to buy it for them.
(b) She has no idea how they can afford it.
(c) Collecting money on the street corner.
(d) Profits from her gambling.
8. What is Laura clutching at the end of the chapter as the two women make a decision?
(a) A Bible.
(b) An empty wine glass.
(c) A bottle of Jim Daniels.
(d) A gambling ticket.
9. Who has not yet bought any holy water?
(d) Birdie Lee.
10. What does Laura want from Essie the next morning?
(a) A commitment for the church idea.
(b) Her betting stubs.
(c) The morning newspaper.
(d) Coffee and money.
11. What are Essie and Laura doing at the opening of this novel?
(a) Eating at Dewdrop diner.
(b) Smoking on the stoop of the apartment.
(c) At a horse race.
(d) Comparing memories of the Palm Sundays, Easters, and church-going habits of their childhoods.
12. Who starts a church a few blocks from where Essie and Laura sit?
(a) An active drug dealer.
(b) A reformed alcoholic.
(c) A reformed pimp.
(d) An ex-cop.
13. Of what does Laura accuse Essie?
(a) Of being too holy and too self righteous.
(b) Of not really being committed to the church idea.
(c) Of hypocrisy.
(d) Of not understanding Jesus's statement, "Render unto Caesar."
14. How does Essie clean her nails?
(a) By scouring them with a brillo pad.
(b) By cutting them down to the quick.
(c) By soaking her fingers in soapy water.
(d) With a knife she keeps on her for protection.
15. What sound is heard outside as Buddy and Laura talk?
(a) A police bullhorn.
(b) People singing gospel songs.
(c) The sound of screeching tires as someone comes to a sudden, dangerous stop.
(d) A gunshot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the two say about Essie?
2. What happens as they pass the tambourine?
3. What central conflict does this chapter set up?
4. What does Essie want to do with the money?
5. What does Essie want to discuss with Laura?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)