|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Essie want to do with the money?
(a) Have two more murals painted.
(b) Bank it for a future need.
(c) Buy hymnals.
(d) Hire a real minister.
2. Why does Laura want to start a church?
(a) To be able to be on display.
(b) To please God.
(c) To make money.
(d) To save souls.
3. What scheme does Buddy suggest for making more money?
(a) Cutting back on the bribes to the police.
(b) Telling the congregation that Essie is dying and needs help.
(c) Giving potential gambling numbers during the preaching.
(d) Selling prayer shawls from "Jerusalem."
4. What does Laura say Buddy is going to become?
(a) Her business manager.
(b) The new minister.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her bodyguard.
5. How does Laura picture Essie's role in the street corner church?
(a) Sitting quietly and preaching.
(b) Sitting quietly and occasionally singing.
(c) Singing and then preaching when Laura sings.
(d) Singing and then fainting as if in ecstasy.
6. What does Laura do to gain the church space?
(a) Invites the landlord to her home.
(b) Tells the landlord he can have 25 percent of the weekly collections.
(c) Threatens to turn in the landlord for code violations.
(d) Bribes the landlord and promises three months in advance rent.
7. What literary technique is used after the description of the tambourine being passed?
(a) A metaphor.
(b) An allegory.
(c) An alliteration.
(d) A flashback.
8. Who is Birdie Lee?
(a) A small elderly woman who steps forward and promises that from that night on she's giving her life to Jesus.
(b) A cop who is watching the women to make sure they are not doing anything illegal.
(c) A small girl who wants her mommie to be healed.
(d) A prostitute who brings a message from her pimp.
9. What do Essie's imaginings lead her to do?
10. Why does Laura's resentment to Birdie Lee vanish?
(a) Because the collection is larger than normal after Birdie comes forward.
(b) Because she realizes the spirit of the Lord is upon Birdie.
(c) Because Birdie drops a ten-dollar bill in the collection plate.
(d) Because Essie kicks her to make her behave.
11. What is Essie's response to Laura's suggestion on buying the Bible?
(a) She faints.
(b) She will take money out of her welfare payments because she does not want to start a church on gambling profits.
(c) She is hesitant but knows it's the only way.
(d) She thinks it's a great idea.
12. Who does Laura meet as she is closing the church one night?
(c) Birdie Lee.
13. What does Chicken-Crow-For-Day throw out the window?
(a) His bottle of whiskey.
(b) A quarter.
(c) His shoes because they have walked tainted streets.
(d) His throws his pistol and knife.
14. Approximately when does Chapter 19 take place?
(a) It is a flashback to a year before Laura and Essie set up their church.
(b) Ten years after Laura and Essie set up their church.
(c) About 2 months after Laura and Essie set up their church.
(d) Just less than a year since Laura and Essie set up their church.
15. Who does the painting of Adam resemble in Laura's imagination?
(a) Joe Louis.
(b) Lanston Hughes.
(c) Martin Luther King.
(d) Louis Armstrong.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Laura begin to sing?
2. How are Essie and Laura described on the first day of church in their new place?
3. What would be a general description of Essie?
4. What does Laura want from Essie the next morning?
5. How does Laura describe the church apartment?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)