|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laura do after they are persuaded?
(a) Says "God is Great."
(b) Says "Amen."
(c) Starts preaching on the corner immediately.
(d) Begins to plan how to spend all her money.
2. What scheme does Buddy suggest for making more money?
(a) Telling the congregation that Essie is dying and needs help.
(b) Giving potential gambling numbers during the preaching.
(c) Cutting back on the bribes to the police.
(d) Selling prayer shawls from "Jerusalem."
3. Who does the painting of Adam resemble in Laura's imagination?
(a) Martin Luther King.
(b) Lanston Hughes.
(c) Joe Louis.
(d) Louis Armstrong.
4. What does Laura want to do with the money?
(a) Get them better living quarters.
(b) Have a big party.
(c) Buy her man a car.
(d) Donate it to the overseas mission fund.
5. When Laura encourages Essie, what does Essie do?
(a) Falls silent and becomes very still, entering into one of the "pauses" into which she frequently falls.
(b) Sings louder.
(c) Prays with more fervency.
(d) Begins to sob instead of crying quietly.
6. How does Laura picture Essie's role in the street corner church?
(a) Singing and then preaching when Laura sings.
(b) Sitting quietly and preaching.
(c) Singing and then fainting as if in ecstasy.
(d) Sitting quietly and occasionally singing.
7. What cliche does Laura quote to convince Essie?
(a) The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.
(b) The Lord helps those who help themselves.
(c) Ask and ye shall receive.
(d) Ask not and you get not.
8. What does Laura ask when Essie encourages her to read her Bible?
(a) She really can't read too well.
(b) She knows she is saved even without a Bible.
(c) She knows enough of the Bible already.
(d) Where is the begats section.
9. What does Chicken-Crow-For-Day do?
(a) Proclaims himself as a dyed-in-the-wool sinner.
(b) Proposes to Essie.
(c) Declares that he should be the new preacher.
(d) Helps himself to some of the collections as they pass.
10. When do the women actually start preaching?
(a) Well into Spring.
(b) Late February.
(c) Right after the New Year.
(d) Early July.
11. What is Laura planning?
(a) Her new sermons.
(b) To marry Buddy.
(c) Where her new dressing room will be.
(d) How to leverage Essie out of the church.
12. How does Essie clean her nails?
(a) By soaking her fingers in soapy water.
(b) By cutting them down to the quick.
(c) By scouring them with a brillo pad.
(d) With a knife she keeps on her for protection.
13. What does Laura think about the Lord's help?
(a) That the Lord helps in abundance when the Spirit moves Laura to preach.
(b) That the Lord ain't never helped her before so why would he help now.
(c) That the Lord helps them who helps themselves.
(d) That if the Lord is taking care of her, she can take care of her man.
14. Why does Laura want to start a church?
(a) To be able to be on display.
(b) To make money.
(c) To save souls.
(d) To please God.
15. In Chapter 4, what do the two women argue about concerning the Bible?
(a) Getting a less expensive Bible.
(b) If they even need a Bible since both have many verses memorized.
(c) What percentage of their first day's take will go towards its purchase.
(d) Whether they should read from it at the opening of the preaching.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Buddy planning?
2. What does Laura say Buddy is going to become?
3. What happens as they pass the tambourine?
4. What does Laura want to play a greater role in church services?
5. How does Buddy describe Marty?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)