|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laura say she can provide?
(a) Gambling numbers.
(b) The muscle men to keep everyone safe.
(c) Inspirational preaching.
(d) The organ music.
2. What does Laura say Buddy is going to become?
(a) The new minister.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her business manager.
(d) Her bodyguard.
3. What sound is heard outside as Buddy and Laura talk?
(a) A police bullhorn.
(b) The sound of screeching tires as someone comes to a sudden, dangerous stop.
(c) People singing gospel songs.
(d) A gunshot.
4. Of what is Laura still jealous?
(c) Them white folks what's got so much.
(d) Birdie Lee.
5. What does Laura want from Essie the next morning?
(a) The morning newspaper.
(b) Her betting stubs.
(c) A commitment for the church idea.
(d) Coffee and money.
6. Where does Essie say that the spark to convert has to come from?
(a) The music.
(b) Laura's sermons.
(d) People's hearts.
7. What do Buddy and Laura do as a new scarlet curtain is hung as a backdrop for the services?
(c) Tell off-color jokes.
(d) Sing gospel songs.
8. Who starts a church a few blocks from where Essie and Laura sit?
(a) A reformed alcoholic.
(b) An ex-cop.
(c) An active drug dealer.
(d) A reformed pimp.
9. What does Essie want to discuss with Laura?
(a) Bringing Essie's daughter there.
(b) Taking the bus to Brooklyn to visit Essie's mother.
(c) Getting a preaching license from city hall.
(d) The idea for the church.
10. For what does Laura say they need money?
(a) To pay an organist.
(b) To rent the local community center.
(c) To buy hymnals.
(d) For a tambourine and a Bible.
11. Over what do the women argue in Chapter 7?
(a) Laura using the money for booze.
(b) Which Bible to buy.
(c) How to use the collection.
(d) Laura ruining the church's reputation.
12. What does Laura think about the Lord's help?
(a) That the Lord helps them who helps themselves.
(b) That if the Lord is taking care of her, she can take care of her man.
(c) That the Lord ain't never helped her before so why would he help now.
(d) That the Lord helps in abundance when the Spirit moves Laura to preach.
13. What does Laura do to keep the cops from stopping the preaching because of no license?
(a) Bribes them.
(b) Tells them God will fix their problems.
(c) Nothing since the problem has miraculously not happened.
(d) Gives them sex.
14. What do Essie's imaginings lead her to do?
15. Who joins Chicken-Crow-For-Day in reciting sins?
(c) A cop on the beat.
(d) Birdie Lee.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the women actually start preaching?
2. Who does the painting of Adam resemble in Laura's imagination?
3. Approximately when does Chapter 19 take place?
4. How does Essie describe the Bible she finds?
5. What is Laura planning?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)