|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Essie describe the Bible she finds?
(a) Large, ornately decorated, and expensive.
(b) Worn but functional.
(c) Small and easily held.
(d) One that has pictures.
2. Of what do they persuade each other?
(a) That the devil inspired them.
(b) That God inspired them.
(c) That the idea could work.
(d) That it is a foolish pipe dream.
3. What does Laura say Essie can provide?
(a) The preaching.
(b) The flowers.
(c) The decorations.
(d) The music.
4. What does Essie want to discuss with Laura?
(a) The idea for the church.
(b) Bringing Essie's daughter there.
(c) Getting a preaching license from city hall.
(d) Taking the bus to Brooklyn to visit Essie's mother.
5. What would be an accurate description as to how Laura is described in Chapter 3?
(b) Attractive and sexual.
(c) Sad and homely.
(d) Joyful and meek.
6. What does Laura say she can provide?
(a) The organ music.
(b) Gambling numbers.
(c) The muscle men to keep everyone safe.
(d) Inspirational preaching.
7. For what does Laura say they need money?
(a) For a tambourine and a Bible.
(b) To buy hymnals.
(c) To pay an organist.
(d) To rent the local community center.
8. What is distracting Laura from listening to Essie?
(a) Laura is talking to a pimp.
(b) Laura is trying to figure out how to seduce the new man down the block.
(c) Laura is talking on the phone.
(d) Laura is too busy worrying about where she's going to get some gambling money and wine.
9. How is the church a few blocks away doing?
(a) It's making enough money to pay the light bill.
(b) Making lots of money.
(c) Making no money, but saving lots of souls.
(d) It folded in two weeks.
10. Why does Laura hire an artist?
(a) To sketch line drawings of Biblical scenes on the pews.
(b) To inscribe the name of the church on a piece of slate.
(c) To paint murals of a black Adam and Eve and other Biblical scenes.
(d) To do a portrait of Laura to hang in the church.
11. What is the reason for the time they arrive?
(a) They decide it would be better to wait to the next sunny day.
(b) They scrupulously watch the time to get there on time.
(c) They forgot to turn their clocks forward for Spring.
(d) Laura is entertaining a man in her room.
12. How long has it been since Essie has seen her daughter?
(a) 4 years.
(b) 1 years.
(c) A few months.
(d) 10 years.
13. What is Birdie Lee going to get?
(a) A font for the holy water.
(b) A new set of drums.
(c) An altar.
(d) A new piano.
14. Who does Laura meet as she is closing the church one night?
(a) Birdie Lee.
15. Who has not yet bought any holy water?
(d) Birdie Lee.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money have they accumulated at the opening of Chapter 13?
2. Approximately when does Chapter 19 take place?
3. As Laura leaves, what is she hoping?
4. What does Laura discover after she has talked about her life for some time?
5. How are Essie and Laura described on the first day of church in their new place?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)