|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Laura meet as she is closing the church one night?
(c) Birdie Lee.
2. What does Laura do to gain the church space?
(a) Threatens to turn in the landlord for code violations.
(b) Invites the landlord to her home.
(c) Tells the landlord he can have 25 percent of the weekly collections.
(d) Bribes the landlord and promises three months in advance rent.
3. How does Essie clean her nails?
(a) By scouring them with a brillo pad.
(b) With a knife she keeps on her for protection.
(c) By cutting them down to the quick.
(d) By soaking her fingers in soapy water.
4. When do the women arrive at the street corner?
(a) A day later than planned.
(b) An hour later than planned.
(c) An hour earlier than planned.
(d) Right on time.
5. Where does Essie say that the spark to convert has to come from?
(b) Laura's sermons.
(c) The music.
(d) People's hearts.
6. Of what does Essie say there will be none?
(a) White people attending.
(b) Black men in the church.
(c) White choir members.
(d) Male ministers.
7. What does Essie do after they are persuaded?
(a) Gets on her knees and prays.
(b) Starts dancing and singing gospel songs.
(c) Hugs Laura.
(d) Calls to the neighbors to tell them.
8. What is distracting Laura from listening to Essie?
(a) Laura is trying to figure out how to seduce the new man down the block.
(b) Laura is too busy worrying about where she's going to get some gambling money and wine.
(c) Laura is talking to a pimp.
(d) Laura is talking on the phone.
9. How does Laura describe the church apartment?
(a) A Garden of Cornucopia delights.
(b) The garden after Eve's fall.
(c) The Ethiopian paradise.
(d) An Ethiopian Garden of Eden.
10. What does Laura say about Essie that is hurtful?
(a) That Essie only cares about others and not Laura.
(b) That Essie doesn't care about bringing her daughter there.
(c) That Essie is overweight.
(d) That Essie can't sing.
11. What does Chicken-Crow-For-Day throw out the window?
(a) His throws his pistol and knife.
(b) A quarter.
(c) His bottle of whiskey.
(d) His shoes because they have walked tainted streets.
12. Over what do the women argue in Chapter 7?
(a) Laura ruining the church's reputation.
(b) Laura using the money for booze.
(c) How to use the collection.
(d) Which Bible to buy.
13. What would be an accurate description as to how Laura is described in Chapter 3?
(b) Sad and homely.
(c) Attractive and sexual.
(d) Joyful and meek.
14. What does Laura think Essie will think of Buddy and Laura's plan?
(a) She will turn them in to the authorities.
(b) She'll think it's ingenious.
(c) She'll wish she had thought of it.
(d) She'll be upset.
15. What happens as they pass the tambourine?
(a) It is broken by accident.
(b) It is dumped along with its money into the sewer grate.
(c) It is stolen.
(d) It quickly fills with money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laura plan to do when cold weather hits?
2. How much money have they accumulated at the opening of Chapter 13?
3. What is Laura planning?
4. What does Laura do after they are persuaded?
5. What is Laura clutching at the end of the chapter as the two women make a decision?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)