|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Essie want to discuss with Laura?
(a) The idea for the church.
(b) Bringing Essie's daughter there.
(c) Getting a preaching license from city hall.
(d) Taking the bus to Brooklyn to visit Essie's mother.
2. What does Essie watch while they are preaching and singing?
(a) For potential robbers.
(b) For anyone who seems to need encouragement to give.
(c) For an indication that God is actually present.
(d) The people who are watching them.
3. What is the reason for the time they arrive?
(a) Laura is entertaining a man in her room.
(b) They forgot to turn their clocks forward for Spring.
(c) They scrupulously watch the time to get there on time.
(d) They decide it would be better to wait to the next sunny day.
4. What do they name the new church in the theater?
(a) The Reed Sisters'Tambourine Temple.
(b) L & E's singin' and praisin'.
(c) The Reed Sister's Praise and Gospel Hour.
(d) The LE Praise and Gospel Hour.
5. What does Laura want to do with the money?
(a) Get them better living quarters.
(b) Have a big party.
(c) Buy her man a car.
(d) Donate it to the overseas mission fund.
6. What is distracting Laura from listening to Essie?
(a) Laura is talking to a pimp.
(b) Laura is too busy worrying about where she's going to get some gambling money and wine.
(c) Laura is trying to figure out how to seduce the new man down the block.
(d) Laura is talking on the phone.
7. What cliche does Laura quote to convince Essie?
(a) The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.
(b) Ask not and you get not.
(c) Ask and ye shall receive.
(d) The Lord helps those who help themselves.
8. What does Chapter 6 describe?
(a) The two women's contrasting appearances.
(b) It is a detailed description of the Bible they bought.
(c) The pimp who threatens them for stealing his members.
(d) The first night the women go out to preach.
9. What is Birdie Lee going to get?
(a) An altar.
(b) A font for the holy water.
(c) A new set of drums.
(d) A new piano.
10. Approximately when does Chapter 19 take place?
(a) Ten years after Laura and Essie set up their church.
(b) About 2 months after Laura and Essie set up their church.
(c) Just less than a year since Laura and Essie set up their church.
(d) It is a flashback to a year before Laura and Essie set up their church.
11. What happens after Essie joins in on the song?
(a) Someone yells at them to be quiet.
(b) Others join.
(c) Essie becomes inspired and everyone gets quiet to hear her.
(d) Laura stops and starts to pass the hat.
12. As Laura leaves, what is she hoping?
(a) That a favorite of her many men friends will visit that night.
(b) That Essie doesn't bring her daughter there.
(c) To win the next ten thousand dollar pot at the tracks.
(d) That Essie will reconsider.
13. What does Laura want to play a greater role in church services?
14. When do the women arrive at the street corner?
(a) An hour earlier than planned.
(b) Right on time.
(c) An hour later than planned.
(d) A day later than planned.
15. What does Chicken-Crow-For-Day do?
(a) Proposes to Essie.
(b) Declares that he should be the new preacher.
(c) Proclaims himself as a dyed-in-the-wool sinner.
(d) Helps himself to some of the collections as they pass.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has it been since Essie has seen her daughter?
2. How are Essie and Laura described on the first day of church in their new place?
3. What does Laura do after they are persuaded?
4. When do the women actually start preaching?
5. What is Essie's response to Laura's suggestion on buying the Bible?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)