|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Laura clutching at the end of the chapter as the two women make a decision?
(a) A Bible.
(b) An empty wine glass.
(c) A bottle of Jim Daniels.
(d) A gambling ticket.
2. What does the clerk give Essie when she pays off the Bible?
(a) A wall hanging saying GOD BLESS THIS HOME.
(b) A bookmark with the 23rd Psalm on it.
(c) A picture of the last supper.
(d) A picture of Jesus.
3. What is Laura planning?
(a) Where her new dressing room will be.
(b) To marry Buddy.
(c) Her new sermons.
(d) How to leverage Essie out of the church.
4. What does Chicken-Crow-For-Day do?
(a) Proposes to Essie.
(b) Declares that he should be the new preacher.
(c) Proclaims himself as a dyed-in-the-wool sinner.
(d) Helps himself to some of the collections as they pass.
5. What does Laura want from Essie the next morning?
(a) Her betting stubs.
(b) A commitment for the church idea.
(c) Coffee and money.
(d) The morning newspaper.
6. What does Essie think Laura should be thinking?
(a) Of the future.
(b) Of the souls they're saving with their preaching.
(c) Of how they are going to keep the authorities from interferring.
(d) Of how to get the people to donate more money.
7. Where do Buddy and Laura go?
(a) To the bus station to pick up Essie's daughter.
(b) To the City Hall to get a preaching license.
(c) Out for a night of drinking.
(d) To Laura's apartment.
8. What happens as they pass the tambourine?
(a) It quickly fills with money.
(b) It is broken by accident.
(c) It is stolen.
(d) It is dumped along with its money into the sewer grate.
9. What is the reason for the time they arrive?
(a) Laura is entertaining a man in her room.
(b) They forgot to turn their clocks forward for Spring.
(c) They decide it would be better to wait to the next sunny day.
(d) They scrupulously watch the time to get there on time.
10. What does the image of Buddy and Laura's sparkling eyes invoke?
(a) An image of a diamond in the rough.
(b) An image of starlight.
(c) The glint of the diamond eyes of the serpent in the Adam and Eve mural at the church.
(d) The glint of steel as it is about to kill someone.
11. What would be an accurate description as to how Laura is described in Chapter 3?
(a) Attractive and sexual.
(c) Sad and homely.
(d) Joyful and meek.
12. What is Buddy planning?
(a) To marry Laura.
(b) The move of the new church to a renovated movie theater.
(c) To embezzle church funds.
(d) To try again to leverage Essie out of the church.
13. For what does Laura say they need money?
(a) To pay an organist.
(b) To rent the local community center.
(c) For a tambourine and a Bible.
(d) To buy hymnals.
14. How does Essie feel about the new apartment?
(a) Essie is ecstatic and grateful no matter where it came from.
(b) She is despondent.
(c) She is hesitant.
(d) She is happy and thinks it came from God.
15. What does Laura say Essie can provide?
(a) The preaching.
(b) The decorations.
(c) The music.
(d) The flowers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chicken-Crow-For-Day throw out the window?
2. How does Essie clean her nails?
3. Approximately when does Chapter 19 take place?
4. How does Essie describe the Bible she finds?
5. Where does Essie say that the spark to convert has to come from?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)