|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laura say about Essie that is hurtful?
(a) That Essie only cares about others and not Laura.
(b) That Essie doesn't care about bringing her daughter there.
(c) That Essie can't sing.
(d) That Essie is overweight.
2. What plan do Laura and Buddy devise?
(a) To sell ordinary tap water as holy water from the river Jordan.
(b) To sell prayer indulgences.
(c) To siphon money out of the church funds.
(d) To gradually get Essie out of the church altogether.
3. About what is Essie worried?
(a) About the way Laura is carrying on.
(b) About how she can get out of the city with some money.
(c) About when she can bring her daughter to live with her.
(d) About how Laura seems ill.
4. What does Laura want from Essie the next morning?
(a) Coffee and money.
(b) A commitment for the church idea.
(c) Her betting stubs.
(d) The morning newspaper.
5. What does Laura want to do with the money?
(a) Buy her man a car.
(b) Have a big party.
(c) Donate it to the overseas mission fund.
(d) Get them better living quarters.
6. When do the women arrive at the street corner?
(a) A day later than planned.
(b) An hour later than planned.
(c) Right on time.
(d) An hour earlier than planned.
7. Who is Birdie Lee?
(a) A cop who is watching the women to make sure they are not doing anything illegal.
(b) A prostitute who brings a message from her pimp.
(c) A small elderly woman who steps forward and promises that from that night on she's giving her life to Jesus.
(d) A small girl who wants her mommie to be healed.
8. What are Laura's robes like?
(a) White for purity.
(b) Tailor cut.
(c) Brightly colored.
9. What do the two say about Essie?
(a) That her daughter refuses to move to New York.
(b) That Essie is much more serious about life than Laura.
(c) That she is judgmental.
(d) That she is the reason the church saves so many souls.
10. What happens after Essie joins in on the song?
(a) Someone yells at them to be quiet.
(b) Others join.
(c) Laura stops and starts to pass the hat.
(d) Essie becomes inspired and everyone gets quiet to hear her.
11. Who does Laura meet as she is closing the church one night?
(a) Birdie Lee.
12. How does Laura suggest they buy the Bible?
(a) Collecting money on the street corner.
(b) Asking the pimp down the street to buy it for them.
(c) Profits from her gambling.
(d) She has no idea how they can afford it.
13. What does Laura do after they are persuaded?
(a) Says "Amen."
(b) Begins to plan how to spend all her money.
(c) Starts preaching on the corner immediately.
(d) Says "God is Great."
14. Why does Laura begin to sing?
(a) To praise the Lord.
(b) To cheer up Essie.
(c) To get the people's attention.
(d) To express how good she feels.
15. What do Essie's imaginings lead her to do?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Essie watch while they are preaching and singing?
2. What do Buddy and Laura do as a new scarlet curtain is hung as a backdrop for the services?
3. What is Essie's response to Laura's suggestion on buying the Bible?
4. What does Laura discover after she has talked about her life for some time?
5. To whom does Laura liken many of her personality traits?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)