|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who joins Chicken-Crow-For-Day in reciting sins?
(b) A cop on the beat.
(c) Birdie Lee.
2. Of what does Laura accuse Essie?
(a) Of not really being committed to the church idea.
(b) Of not understanding Jesus's statement, "Render unto Caesar."
(c) Of being too holy and too self righteous.
(d) Of hypocrisy.
3. What is Essie's opinion of Laura's lifestyle?
(a) Fast and loose.
(d) Calm and peaceful.
4. What does the clerk give Essie when she pays off the Bible?
(a) A picture of Jesus.
(b) A picture of the last supper.
(c) A wall hanging saying GOD BLESS THIS HOME.
(d) A bookmark with the 23rd Psalm on it.
5. Who is evicted to make room for the church?
(a) Some drifters.
(b) A Southern family.
(c) Some men moved in from the bowery.
(d) Some rejects from Blecker Street.
6. What does Essie watch while they are preaching and singing?
(a) For an indication that God is actually present.
(b) For anyone who seems to need encouragement to give.
(c) The people who are watching them.
(d) For potential robbers.
7. What happens after Essie joins in on the song?
(a) Someone yells at them to be quiet.
(b) Essie becomes inspired and everyone gets quiet to hear her.
(c) Others join.
(d) Laura stops and starts to pass the hat.
8. Where does Essie say that the spark to convert has to come from?
(a) The music.
(b) People's hearts.
(c) Laura's sermons.
9. What does Laura think Essie will think of Buddy and Laura's plan?
(a) She'll think it's ingenious.
(b) She'll be upset.
(c) She'll wish she had thought of it.
(d) She will turn them in to the authorities.
10. Of what is Laura still jealous?
(a) Them white folks what's got so much.
(b) Birdie Lee.
11. What do Essie's imaginings lead her to do?
12. What does Laura say she can provide?
(a) Inspirational preaching.
(b) The organ music.
(c) Gambling numbers.
(d) The muscle men to keep everyone safe.
13. What is the reason for the time they arrive?
(a) They scrupulously watch the time to get there on time.
(b) They decide it would be better to wait to the next sunny day.
(c) They forgot to turn their clocks forward for Spring.
(d) Laura is entertaining a man in her room.
14. How does Essie clean her nails?
(a) By scouring them with a brillo pad.
(b) By cutting them down to the quick.
(c) By soaking her fingers in soapy water.
(d) With a knife she keeps on her for protection.
15. What is Laura clutching at the end of the chapter as the two women make a decision?
(a) A bottle of Jim Daniels.
(b) An empty wine glass.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A gambling ticket.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Laura want to start a church?
2. What would be a general description of Essie?
3. How long has it been since Essie has seen her daughter?
4. What does Chapter 6 describe?
5. What is Laura planning?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)