Short Essay Questions Key
1. At the beginning of Chapter 1, how are the two women described and what might be construed by these descriptions?
2. What do you think might be the significance of the title "Palm Sunday," of Chapter 1?
3. What rationale does Laura use to try to convince Essie to start a church with her and does it seem a reasonable rationale?
4. Why is it ironic that Laura is trying to convince Essie to do something positive with her life?
5. What do you think one of the main themes might be just based upon the differences in the two major characters as shown in this opening chapter?
6. What image at the end of this chapter is particularly striking and tells much about Laura?
7. How do Laura's and Essie's roles reverse in this chapter?
8. What do you think the reason is for Essie's pauses, the first of which we see in Chapter 2?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)