|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are some of Laura's "rocks" for security?
(a) Men, her daughter, and church.
(b) Church, her daughter, and liquor.
(c) Men, the numbers, and liquor.
(d) The numbers, her daughter, and church.
2. What is the reason for the time they arrive?
(a) They decide it would be better to wait to the next sunny day.
(b) They scrupulously watch the time to get there on time.
(c) They forgot to turn their clocks forward for Spring.
(d) Laura is entertaining a man in her room.
3. Over what do the women argue in Chapter 7?
(a) Laura ruining the church's reputation.
(b) How to use the collection.
(c) Which Bible to buy.
(d) Laura using the money for booze.
4. What are Essie and Laura doing at the opening of this novel?
(a) Eating at Dewdrop diner.
(b) Smoking on the stoop of the apartment.
(c) Comparing memories of the Palm Sundays, Easters, and church-going habits of their childhoods.
(d) At a horse race.
5. What does Essie do after they are persuaded?
(a) Calls to the neighbors to tell them.
(b) Gets on her knees and prays.
(c) Starts dancing and singing gospel songs.
(d) Hugs Laura.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Laura picture Essie's role in the street corner church?
2. What is Essie's response to Laura's suggestion on buying the Bible?
3. Why does Laura's resentment to Birdie Lee vanish?
4. What is Essie's opinion of Laura's lifestyle?
5. What does Laura think about the Lord's help?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)