|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Essie's response to Laura's suggestion on buying the Bible?
(a) She will take money out of her welfare payments because she does not want to start a church on gambling profits.
(b) She is hesitant but knows it's the only way.
(c) She faints.
(d) She thinks it's a great idea.
2. For what does Laura say they need money?
(a) For a tambourine and a Bible.
(b) To buy hymnals.
(c) To rent the local community center.
(d) To pay an organist.
3. What do Essie's imaginings lead her to do?
4. What does Essie want to discuss with Laura?
(a) Taking the bus to Brooklyn to visit Essie's mother.
(b) The idea for the church.
(c) Getting a preaching license from city hall.
(d) Bringing Essie's daughter there.
5. What would be a general description of Laura?
(a) Tiny breasted, sincerely religious.
(b) Large breasted, sexual, sensual, and fond of her liquor.
(c) Tiny breasted, sexual, practical, goes to AA.
(d) A tall, six-foot, two-inch woman who loves sugared dates.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Laura begin to sing?
2. What are some of Laura's "rocks" for security?
3. How does Essie describe the Bible she finds?
4. What might be a theme of this story symbolically portrayed in the final lines of this chapter?
5. What does Laura want from Essie the next morning?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)