|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 2, 3, 4 and 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Laura clutching at the end of the chapter as the two women make a decision?
(a) A bottle of Jim Daniels.
(b) A gambling ticket.
(c) A Bible.
(d) An empty wine glass.
2. What is Essie's response to Laura's suggestion on buying the Bible?
(a) She thinks it's a great idea.
(b) She faints.
(c) She is hesitant but knows it's the only way.
(d) She will take money out of her welfare payments because she does not want to start a church on gambling profits.
3. How does Laura suggest they buy the Bible?
(a) Asking the pimp down the street to buy it for them.
(b) She has no idea how they can afford it.
(c) Profits from her gambling.
(d) Collecting money on the street corner.
4. When Laura encourages Essie, what does Essie do?
(a) Prays with more fervency.
(b) Sings louder.
(c) Begins to sob instead of crying quietly.
(d) Falls silent and becomes very still, entering into one of the "pauses" into which she frequently falls.
5. What does Essie want to discuss with Laura?
(a) Getting a preaching license from city hall.
(b) The idea for the church.
(c) Taking the bus to Brooklyn to visit Essie's mother.
(d) Bringing Essie's daughter there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would be a general description of Essie?
2. What might be a theme of this story symbolically portrayed in the final lines of this chapter?
3. What do Essie's imaginings lead her to do?
4. What does Laura say she can provide?
5. What does Laura want from Essie the next morning?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)