|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 2, 3, 4 and 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Laura say they need money?
(a) To pay an organist.
(b) For a tambourine and a Bible.
(c) To rent the local community center.
(d) To buy hymnals.
2. How does Essie describe the Bible she finds?
(a) One that has pictures.
(b) Large, ornately decorated, and expensive.
(c) Small and easily held.
(d) Worn but functional.
3. Of what do they persuade each other?
(a) That God inspired them.
(b) That it is a foolish pipe dream.
(c) That the devil inspired them.
(d) That the idea could work.
4. How does Laura suggest they buy the Bible?
(a) Collecting money on the street corner.
(b) Profits from her gambling.
(c) She has no idea how they can afford it.
(d) Asking the pimp down the street to buy it for them.
5. As Laura leaves, what is she hoping?
(a) That Essie will reconsider.
(b) That a favorite of her many men friends will visit that night.
(c) To win the next ten thousand dollar pot at the tracks.
(d) That Essie doesn't bring her daughter there.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has it been since Essie has seen her daughter?
2. When do the women actually start preaching?
3. What might be a theme of this story symbolically portrayed in the final lines of this chapter?
4. What does Laura do after they are persuaded?
5. What cliche does Laura quote to convince Essie?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)