|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 2, 3, 4 and 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Laura encourages Essie, what does Essie do?
(a) Falls silent and becomes very still, entering into one of the "pauses" into which she frequently falls.
(b) Prays with more fervency.
(c) Sings louder.
(d) Begins to sob instead of crying quietly.
2. How long has it been since Essie has seen her daughter?
(a) 1 years.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) A few months.
3. What does Laura say Essie can provide?
(a) The music.
(b) The flowers.
(c) The preaching.
(d) The decorations.
4. How is the church a few blocks away doing?
(a) Making no money, but saving lots of souls.
(b) It's making enough money to pay the light bill.
(c) It folded in two weeks.
(d) Making lots of money.
5. What are some of Laura's "rocks" for security?
(a) Men, her daughter, and church.
(b) The numbers, her daughter, and church.
(c) Men, the numbers, and liquor.
(d) Church, her daughter, and liquor.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Laura leaves, what is she hoping?
2. What cliche does Laura quote to convince Essie?
3. What is Laura clutching at the end of the chapter as the two women make a decision?
4. Why does Laura want to start a church?
5. What does Essie do after they are persuaded?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)