|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 11, 12 and 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Laura inspire Essie?
(a) She goes into a trancelike state and says "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me."
(b) She gives a demonstration of what she would preach.
(c) She describes all the fine things they would do for the people in the neighborhood.
(d) She says that Essie could bring her daughter there with the money.
2. What does Laura want from Essie the next morning?
(a) The morning newspaper.
(b) A commitment for the church idea.
(c) Her betting stubs.
(d) Coffee and money.
3. What would be an accurate description as to how Laura is described in Chapter 3?
(b) Attractive and sexual.
(c) Joyful and meek.
(d) Sad and homely.
4. What would be a general description of Essie?
(a) Essie is about 65, loves walking in the woods and canning fruits.
(b) Essie is overweight, has a beautiful singing voice, and has a sixteen-year-old daughter.
(c) Essie is petite with a size 18" waist, has a beautiful singing voice, and has a six-year-old daughter.
(d) Essie is almost 18, is fond of liquor and men.
5. How does Laura picture Essie's role in the street corner church?
(a) Singing and then fainting as if in ecstasy.
(b) Singing and then preaching when Laura sings.
(c) Sitting quietly and preaching.
(d) Sitting quietly and occasionally singing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Essie do when Laura inspires her?
2. What literary technique is used after the description of the tambourine being passed?
3. How does Laura suggest they buy the Bible?
4. What does Laura think about the Lord's help?
5. What happens after Essie joins in on the song?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)