|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 28 and 29.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laura hear two women saying about Buddy?
(a) That he has secretly married a woman much younger than he.
(b) That he has left New York.
(c) That he has taken over the west side gambling.
(d) That a handsome man like him is a "cross to bear" for the woman in his life.
2. Who is evicted to make room for the church?
(a) A Southern family.
(b) Some men moved in from the bowery.
(c) Some drifters.
(d) Some rejects from Blecker Street.
3. How does Laura feel towards Essie?
(a) She is angry that Essie moves.
(b) She is glad she is not there anymore.
(c) She misses her.
(d) She is jealous of Essie.
4. Where do Essie and Marietta move?
(a) To a condominium in Brooklyn.
(b) No where new.
(c) To an apartment in the same building as the church.
(d) To a small house in the suburbs.
5. Who does the painting of Adam resemble in Laura's imagination?
(a) Lanston Hughes.
(b) Martin Luther King.
(c) Joe Louis.
(d) Louis Armstrong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What angers Laura as she arrives at the church?
2. What is ironic about Chicken-Crow-For-Day saying he has been washed clean and white by the love of God?
3. What does going "North" mean to Southern Blacks at the time of this story?
4. What does Laura do to gain the church space?
5. What does Essie think Laura should be thinking?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)