|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rumor about Taltos blood circulates among the witches?
2. What does Granny say usually happens to a walking baby?
3. What happened to human women who mated with Taltos males?
4. Who does Mary Jane say Morrigan is in relation to the baby Mary Jane is holding?
5. What does the doctor insist upon doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mary Jane bringing to her home on a boat and why does she need him?
2. How did Ash's group of Taltos, especially the young ones, feel about the rest of the world?
3. How is Mona doing when she and Mary Jane arrive at the dock and what does she tell Mary Jane?
4. How does Ash hear about Christianity and how does he feel about that religion?
5. What do Michael and Yuri talk about on the phone?
6. How did many Taltos women die, and what happens when a Taltos dies? Why was life good for the Taltos?
7. What does Ash say about how the Taltos first lived peaceably with humans?
8. Who are the Little People?
9. What is the problem between witches and the Talos, and what is the rumor about Taltos's blood and witches? How was Taltos blood introduced into the human race?
10. How did Taltos couple and what kind of romantic relationships did they have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Taltos are immortal and Ash is said to have been around since the beginning of time. Discuss the following:
1. What sort of cultural problems do you think the United States would have if it were suddenly discovered that 1% of its population possessed immortality like the Taltos?
2. Would you want to part of the 1% of the population who are immortal? Why or why not?
3. Do you think most people would use their immortality for good or evil? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Taltos. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Taltos. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in Taltos. Consider the death of whole races such as the Taltos or the Little People. Include the homicides that happen in Taltos.
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)