|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marklin do after using Tommy's lighter?
2. For how long does coupling last with two Taltos?
3. What happens to Taltos women who gave birth too often?
4. What happens when Tommy and Marklin are tossed through a door?
5. What does Ash take from the Catholic church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Ash's group of Taltos eventually settle and how was their life? For what were the circle of stones used? What was one of the differences between Taltos babies in their new location as opposed to their old one?
2. What does Ash say about how the Taltos first lived peaceably with humans?
3. How did many Taltos women die, and what happens when a Taltos dies? Why was life good for the Taltos?
4. Who is Mary Jane bringing to her home on a boat and why does she need him?
5. What does Rowan tell Ash about Michael's fears about telling Ash the truth?
6. How does Ash begin the story of the Taltos?
7. How does Ash come to write the book Stuart had in his possession?
8. What does Mona tell Mary Jane about her baby and what do they decide to do?
9. How does Ash hear about Christianity and how does he feel about that religion?
10. Why did some Taltos leave the paradise, what happens to the paradise and how do the Taltos feel about life in their new location? Why did Ash worry about the Taltos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several non-human sentient beings in Taltos, in addition to non-human entities that are not fully sentient. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss Ash. Who is he? What are his powers? What is his purpose? Is he "good" or "evil"? What does he look like physically? What role does he play in forwarding the plot? Is he believable? Why or why not.
2. Thoroughly discuss Samuel. Who is he? What are his powers? What is his purpose? Is he "good" or "evil"? What does he look like physically? What role does he play in forwarding the plot? Is he believable? Why or why not.
3. Thoroughly discuss Rowan. Who is she? What are her powers? What is her purpose? Is she "good" or "evil"? What does she look like physically? What role does she play in forwarding the plot? Is he believable? Why or why not.
4. Do you think sentient, non-human beings adds to the enjoyment of Taltos? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Taltos.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Taltos. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Taltos. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)