|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can witches recognize on sight concerning the Taltos?
2. What does Mona confide in about to Mary Jane?
3. What do the Taltos do to a child born of the mating between a Taltos and human that survives?
4. What is Morrigan's reply to Mona's question?
5. What do Ash and other Taltos eventually realize about humans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rowan tell Ash about Michael's fears about telling Ash the truth?
2. What do Michael and Yuri talk about on the phone?
3. How is Mona doing when she and Mary Jane arrive at the dock and what does she tell Mary Jane?
4. Who is Mary Jane bringing to her home on a boat and why does she need him?
5. What does Mona tell Mary Jane about her baby and what do they decide to do?
6. What does Ash say about Taltos traits and where did the Taltos develop? What usually caused a Taltos to die?
7. What is Morrigan doing while Doctor Jack is there and how does he meet her? What is he told about Morrigan?
8. What does Granny tell Mona about walking babies?
9. What is the problem between witches and the Talos, and what is the rumor about Taltos's blood and witches? How was Taltos blood introduced into the human race?
10. How did Ash's group of Taltos, especially the young ones, feel about the rest of the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Taltos are immortal and Ash is said to have been around since the beginning of time. Discuss the following:
1. What sort of cultural problems do you think the United States would have if it were suddenly discovered that 1% of its population possessed immortality like the Taltos?
2. Would you want to part of the 1% of the population who are immortal? Why or why not?
3. Do you think most people would use their immortality for good or evil? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Taltos and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Taltos is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Taltos is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,274 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)