|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing the Taltos hated about their new home off the island?
2. What is one thing Ash worried about for his group of Taltos?
3. Where do Mona and Mary Jane take a boat?
4. What does Ash take from the Catholic church?
5. What does Granny say usually happens to a walking baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ash begin the story of the Taltos?
2. What does Mona tell Mary Jane about her baby and what do they decide to do?
3. Who is Mary Jane bringing to her home on a boat and why does she need him?
4. How is Mona doing when she and Mary Jane arrive at the dock and what does she tell Mary Jane?
5. What is Morrigan doing while Doctor Jack is there and how does he meet her? What is he told about Morrigan?
6. What does Ash say about how the Taltos first lived peaceably with humans?
7. Where did Ash's group of Taltos eventually settle and how was their life? For what were the circle of stones used? What was one of the differences between Taltos babies in their new location as opposed to their old one?
8. Why did some Taltos leave the paradise, what happens to the paradise and how do the Taltos feel about life in their new location? Why did Ash worry about the Taltos?
9. What does Rowan tell Ash about Michael's fears about telling Ash the truth?
10. What do Michael and Yuri talk about on the phone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Taltos are immortal and Ash is said to have been around since the beginning of time. Discuss the following:
1. What sort of cultural problems do you think the United States would have if it were suddenly discovered that 1% of its population possessed immortality like the Taltos?
2. Would you want to part of the 1% of the population who are immortal? Why or why not?
3. Do you think most people would use their immortality for good or evil? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Taltos.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Taltos. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Taltos. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Taltos belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a main stream novel? Explain.
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)