|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mona ask Morrigan at the opening to Chapter Twenty?
2. What intrigued the Taltos about the human children?
3. What can the Taltos recognize on sight concerning witches?
4. What does the tolling of the bell indicate at the Motherhouse?
5. What do the humans who live near the Taltos village ask the Taltos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rowan tell Ash about Michael's fears about telling Ash the truth?
2. What does Ash propose to Rowan, what is her reply and what does Ash say he will share with them?
3. How does Ash hear about Christianity and how does he feel about that religion?
4. How does Ash come to write the book Stuart had in his possession?
5. What does Ash say about how the Taltos first lived peaceably with humans?
6. Where did Ash's group of Taltos eventually settle and how was their life? For what were the circle of stones used? What was one of the differences between Taltos babies in their new location as opposed to their old one?
7. Why did some Taltos leave the paradise, what happens to the paradise and how do the Taltos feel about life in their new location? Why did Ash worry about the Taltos?
8. What is Morrigan doing while Doctor Jack is there and how does he meet her? What is he told about Morrigan?
9. How did Ash's group of Taltos, especially the young ones, feel about the rest of the world?
10. Who are the Little People?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Taltos. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Rice chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Rice chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Rice's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Rice use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Taltos is one book in a series of novels involving the the Mayfair Witches. Discuss the following.
1. What are some advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are some disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)