|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to human women who mated with Taltos males?
2. What can the Taltos recognize on sight concerning witches?
3. What occasionally created problems for the Taltos when they were in their "paradise"?
4. Who do Taltos recognize on sight?
5. Who does Mary Jane say Morrigan is in relation to the baby Mary Jane is holding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ash's group of Taltos, especially the young ones, feel about the rest of the world?
2. Where did Ash's group of Taltos eventually settle and how was their life? For what were the circle of stones used? What was one of the differences between Taltos babies in their new location as opposed to their old one?
3. What does Doctor Jack insist upon and what information do they give him?
4. What is Morrigan doing while Doctor Jack is there and how does he meet her? What is he told about Morrigan?
5. What does Granny tell Mona about walking babies?
6. What does Ash say about how the Taltos first lived peaceably with humans?
7. Who is Mary Jane bringing to her home on a boat and why does she need him?
8. How did Taltos couple and what kind of romantic relationships did they have?
9. What happens to Marklin and Tommy at the Motherhouse after the funeral for Stuart?
10. What does Mona tell Mary Jane about her baby and what do they decide to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Taltos? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Taltos including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Taltos and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Taltos, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Taltos. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Taltos. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Taltos. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in Taltos. Consider the death of whole races such as the Taltos or the Little People. Include the homicides that happen in Taltos.
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)