|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instructions does Mona give Mary Jane?
2. How do Rowan and Michael get back to the United States?
3. What path does Ash believe is best for the Taltos after hearing the ideas of Christianity?
4. What happened to the Taltos island?
5. What vow does Ash find appealing about which the Catholic priest tells Ash?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Granny tell Mona about walking babies?
2. What does Mona tell Mary Jane about her baby and what do they decide to do?
3. What does Ash propose to Rowan, what is her reply and what does Ash say he will share with them?
4. How does Ash come to write the book Stuart had in his possession?
5. What happens to Marklin and Tommy at the Motherhouse after the funeral for Stuart?
6. Who is Mary Jane bringing to her home on a boat and why does she need him?
7. How did Ash's group of Taltos, especially the young ones, feel about the rest of the world?
8. What does Rowan tell Ash about a Taltos female, and what is Ash's reaction to the news?
9. How does Ash begin the story of the Taltos?
10. What does Rowan tell Ash about Michael's fears about telling Ash the truth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Taltos is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Taltos. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Taltos. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in Taltos. Consider the death of whole races such as the Taltos or the Little People. Include the homicides that happen in Taltos.
Essay Topic 3
In Taltos, there seems to be many individuals/groups who are not trustworthy: Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy, and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Taltos.
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy, and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Taltos.
3. Who do you think Ash trusts in this book and is his trust well founded? Who does he mistrust and why? Give specific examples.
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)