|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what are Rowan and Michael skeptical?
2. Whose history do the Talmasca keep?
3. What repels some people about Mr. Ash?
4. Where does the limousine driver who is chauffeuring Ash and his guests stop?
5. Who is Lasher?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mona crave when she wakes and why does Ryan come by the house?
2. What does Ash do when he meets Stuart, how does Stuart respond and where do they go?
3. Where does Ashland live, and why does he hire a young woman?
4. What does Stuart say he realized about Tessa, what does Stuart say Tessa told him about Taltos, and why does he think she is a reincarnated being?
5. What does Mona find out at the doctor's office, and what does she want to ask Rowan about it?
6. What is Mona craving while pregnant, what does she fear and what does Mary Jane say about Mona's fears?
7. What phone call does Ash get in Chapter 1, and what is the result of that phone call?
8. What does Yuri tell Michael and Rowan Samuel said and why is Ash in the country?
9. What does Yuri tell Ash when Ash arrives in London?
10. What do Marklin, Tommy and Stuart discover when they go to the Motherhouse and what do the Talmasca offer Stuart? How does Stuart respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Taltos. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Taltos. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in Taltos. Consider the death of whole races such as the Taltos or the Little People. Include the homicides that happen in Taltos.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Taltos and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Taltos is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)