|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Stuart planning to meet?
2. How old is Mona?
3. What do Marklin and Tommy do?
4. What project is ongoing in Mona's family?
5. What does Ash say about Tessa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stuart say he realized about Tessa, what does Stuart say Tessa told him about Taltos, and why does he think she is a reincarnated being?
2. What happens when Ash meets Tessa?
3. What does Rowan want to know about the room where Lasher kept her and what does Mona know about the information Rowan wants?
4. What does Mona have the habit of doing, and what does she tell Rowan?
5. What is Rowan's situation at the beginning of Chapter 2?
6. What are Marklin and Tommy discussing when they return to the Motherhouse, and how does Marklin feel about entering the house?
7. Where does Ashland live, and why does he hire a young woman?
8. Why is Stuart angry at Marklin and Tommy, how does Marklin respond and what does Tommy say about the situation?
9. What does Ash say about humans' reaction to him?
10. In what kind of place does Mary Jane live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Taltos? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Taltos including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Taltos and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Taltos. Questions that Rice most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Rice's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Rice's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Rice and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Taltos.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Taltos. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Taltos. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)