|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mel unable to do in this story?
2. Other than Mel, which term best describes the characters in the story?
3. Which of the following techniques does the author use in his story?
4. What purpose does foil serve in this story?
5. In what part of the story does the exposition appear?
Essay Topic 1
This story revolves around love and its various meanings. Compare and contrast the ways each character views and portrays love. What are some possible explanations for their differing understandings of love?
Essay Topic 2
The title of a work is one of literature's most important aspects. Why is title thought to be so important to a work of literature? What did the author want to communicate to the reader through this particular title?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is an important tool authors use to effectively communicate ideas and meanings to the reader. Identify one symbol Carver uses in his story and describe what it symbolizes. What purpose does it serve to have this particular symbol in the story?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)