|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which part of the story does the narrator mention where the characters are from?
2. Who can be said to be Mel's foil in this story?
3. Which of the following symbolizes the hopelessness the characters feel about finding real love?
4. What can describe Mel's behavior as the conversation progresses?
5. Where are the other characters when Mel begins to talk about love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This story revolves around love and its various meanings. Compare and contrast the ways each character views and portrays love. What are some possible explanations for their differing understandings of love?
Essay Topic 2
Distinguish between tone and mood as used in literature, and then compare and contrast the tone and mood of Carver's story.
Essay Topic 3
A resolution is often included in literature to give the reader a sense of closure. What is the resolution in this story? Discuss whether it adequately resolves the situation and why you think that way. What could the author have done differently?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)