|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many purposes does the alcohol serve in this story?
2. How are the two couples different from other people in a relationship?
3. Which of the following describes the literary device Carver uses when Terri and Mel talk about Terri's past relationship in detail?
4. Which of the following describes Laura's attitude toward Mel as the evening progresses?
5. What literary device does the author use in portraying Mel's difficulty in understanding love despite his profession?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A resolution is often included in literature to give the reader a sense of closure. What is the resolution in this story? Discuss whether it adequately resolves the situation and why you think that way. What could the author have done differently?
Essay Topic 2
The two couples in this story are presented as having very different types of relationships. Compare and contrast the dynamics of the two couples' relationships. How are the relationships the same? How are they different? Which couple would you have felt more comfortable around? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is an important tool authors use to effectively communicate ideas and meanings to the reader. Identify one symbol Carver uses in his story and describe what it symbolizes. What purpose does it serve to have this particular symbol in the story?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)