|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is an example of situational irony?
2. Which of the following describes Terri's reaction to Mel's response to the story of the old couple?
3. Through which of the following methods does Carver communicate most of the significant aspects of his story?
4. What effect may the alcohol have had on everyone besides Mel?
5. Why does Mel begin telling his story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of a work is one of literature's most important aspects. Why is title thought to be so important to a work of literature? What did the author want to communicate to the reader through this particular title?
Essay Topic 2
The tragic hero is a character who, despite being capable of greatness, is doomed to fail as a result of circumstances and a tragic flaw. Identify one character in this story who could be described as a tragic hero and support your claim. Does this character fit the typical view of a tragic hero? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Narration refers to the method the author uses to communicate the story to readers. From what type of viewpoint is this story narrated? Discuss the advantages and drawbacks of presenting a story from this viewpoint.
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)