|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ultimately provides the most insight into what love really means?
2. Which of the following describes Laura's attitude toward Mel as the evening progresses?
3. What literary tool is used in the story of the old couple and Mel and Terri's relationship?
4. How does the tone change as the story progresses?
5. How many stages of love are there, according to the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is a common literary technique that indicates what will happen later in the story. Describe 2-3 instances of foreshadowing in this story. Did the author use them effectively?
Essay Topic 2
The exposition is thought of as the introductory material given by the narrator of a work of literature. What is the main purpose of including exposition? What aspects of the exposition does Carver include in his story?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is an important tool authors use to effectively communicate ideas and meanings to the reader. Identify one symbol Carver uses in his story and describe what it symbolizes. What purpose does it serve to have this particular symbol in the story?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)