|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a form of entertainment for the characters?
2. Which of the following is the resolution following the climax?
3. Which of the following is a connotation of the word 'heart'?
4. Which of the characters seems to realize first that Mel's desire to experience real love is not yet fulfilled?
5. With whom does Mel appear to be in conflict over the concept of love more than any other character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A resolution is often included in literature to give the reader a sense of closure. What is the resolution in this story? Discuss whether it adequately resolves the situation and why you think that way. What could the author have done differently?
Essay Topic 2
Distinguish between tone and mood as used in literature, and then compare and contrast the tone and mood of Carver's story.
Essay Topic 3
This story revolves around love and its various meanings. Compare and contrast the ways each character views and portrays love. What are some possible explanations for their differing understandings of love?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)