|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters can be said to be a tragic hero?
2. Why does Mel begin telling his story?
3. Which of the following is a symbol in Carver's story?
4. Who can be said to be Mel's foil in this story?
5. Which of the characters seems to realize first that Mel's desire to experience real love is not yet fulfilled?
Essay Topic 1
Characterization refers to the description the author gives of the character's appearance, actions, and thoughts. Discuss the characterization of at least one of the main characters in this story. What could Carver have included that would have enriched the reader's experience of that particular character?
Essay Topic 2
Narration refers to the method the author uses to communicate the story to readers. From what type of viewpoint is this story narrated? Discuss the advantages and drawbacks of presenting a story from this viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
The exposition is thought of as the introductory material given by the narrator of a work of literature. What is the main purpose of including exposition? What aspects of the exposition does Carver include in his story?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)