Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters can be said to be a tragic hero?
2. Why does Mel begin telling his story?
3. Which of the following is a symbol in Carver's story?
4. Who can be said to be Mel's foil in this story?
5. Which of the characters seems to realize first that Mel's desire to experience real love is not yet fulfilled?
Essay Topic 1
Connotation and denotation help a reader understand the meaning of a particular word or concept. Define both connotation and denotation. Identify a word used by Carver in this story and define its denotation and possible connotations. In this specific story, how does the connotation of terms contribute to the reader's understanding of the work?
Essay Topic 2
Characterization refers to the description the author gives of the character's appearance, actions, and thoughts. Discuss the characterization of at least one of the main characters in this story. What could Carver have included that would have enriched the reader's experience of that particular character?
Essay Topic 3
Narration refers to the method the author uses to communicate the story to readers. From what type of viewpoint is this story narrated? Discuss the advantages and drawbacks of presenting a story from this viewpoint.
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)