|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary device does the author use in portraying Mel's difficulty in understanding love despite his profession?
2. Why does Mel begin telling his story?
3. Other than Mel, which term best describes the characters in the story?
4. Which of the following describes Laura's attitude toward Mel as the evening progresses?
5. Which of the following symbolizes the hopelessness the characters feel about finding real love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A resolution is often included in literature to give the reader a sense of closure. What is the resolution in this story? Discuss whether it adequately resolves the situation and why you think that way. What could the author have done differently?
Essay Topic 2
The title of a work is one of literature's most important aspects. Why is title thought to be so important to a work of literature? What did the author want to communicate to the reader through this particular title?
Essay Topic 3
The two couples in this story are presented as having very different types of relationships. Compare and contrast the dynamics of the two couples' relationships. How are the relationships the same? How are they different? Which couple would you have felt more comfortable around? Why?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)