|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspects of the heart does Mel understand?
2. Which of the following techniques does the author use in his story?
3. What sort of love does Mel have trouble understanding?
4. Which character is encouraged by the end of the story?
5. When the author uses the term 'universal', to what is he referring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The exposition is thought of as the introductory material given by the narrator of a work of literature. What is the main purpose of including exposition? What aspects of the exposition does Carver include in his story?
Essay Topic 2
The title of a work is one of literature's most important aspects. Why is title thought to be so important to a work of literature? What did the author want to communicate to the reader through this particular title?
Essay Topic 3
Mel's story of the old couple plays a pivotal role in this story.
Part 1) What is so significant about the story? How does it apply to the overall theme?
Part 2) What is important about Mel recounting this particular story? Why is he depressed at the end of the story?
Part 3) Why does Mel's story have such an impact on the rest of the characters in Carver's story?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)