|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters can be said to be a tragic hero?
2. Why does Mel begin telling his story?
3. Which of the following is a symbol in Carver's story?
4. Who can be said to be Mel's foil in this story?
5. Which of the characters seems to realize first that Mel's desire to experience real love is not yet fulfilled?
Essay Topic 1
The exposition is thought of as the introductory material given by the narrator of a work of literature. What is the main purpose of including exposition? What aspects of the exposition does Carver include in his story?
Essay Topic 2
What is the function of alcohol in Carver's story? How does it act as a catalyst for the plot?
Essay Topic 3
A foil is a character who provides a contrast to the protagonist in a story. Which characters are foils in this story? Please describe what determines your chosen character as a foil, and why the author may have included them.
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)