|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to help Mel and the other characters loosen up?
2. What is the tone in the beginning of Mel's story about the old couple?
3. Which of the following characters can be said to be a tragic hero?
4. With whom does Mel appear to be in conflict over the concept of love more than any other character?
5. How is the topic of love broached?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Authors often use setting, including the time of day, to communicate an important message about the story. The setting can have a significant impact on the tone and mood of a story.
Part 1) Discuss the clues Carver gives readers as to the time of day as the story unfolds.
Part 2) Why does Carver choose this particular time of day as a setting for a story about love?
Part 3) Pick a time of day (or night) different from the actual one in the story and discuss how the story would have been different had it been set during this time.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is a common literary technique that indicates what will happen later in the story. Describe 2-3 instances of foreshadowing in this story. Did the author use them effectively?
Essay Topic 3
The title of a work is one of literature's most important aspects. Why is title thought to be so important to a work of literature? What did the author want to communicate to the reader through this particular title?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)