|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who can be said to be Mel's foil in this story?
2. Which of the following describes Terri's reaction to Mel's response to the story of the old couple?
3. Which of the following terms refers to the literal definition of 'heart'?
4. According to Mel, did Terri love her ex-boyfriend?
5. According to the author, where are the characters from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is an important tool authors use to effectively communicate ideas and meanings to the reader. Identify one symbol Carver uses in his story and describe what it symbolizes. What purpose does it serve to have this particular symbol in the story?
Essay Topic 2
The exposition is thought of as the introductory material given by the narrator of a work of literature. What is the main purpose of including exposition? What aspects of the exposition does Carver include in his story?
Essay Topic 3
A foil is a character who provides a contrast to the protagonist in a story. Which characters are foils in this story? Please describe what determines your chosen character as a foil, and why the author may have included them.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)