|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Mel appear to be in conflict over the concept of love more than any other character?
2. Which of the following is the resolution following the climax?
3. Which character becomes increasingly offensive over the course of the story?
4. Which of the following is a symbol in this story?
5. What seems to help Mel and the other characters loosen up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Distinguish between tone and mood as used in literature, and then compare and contrast the tone and mood of Carver's story.
Essay Topic 2
A foil is a character who provides a contrast to the protagonist in a story. Which characters are foils in this story? Please describe what determines your chosen character as a foil, and why the author may have included them.
Essay Topic 3
Mel's story of the old couple plays a pivotal role in this story.
Part 1) What is so significant about the story? How does it apply to the overall theme?
Part 2) What is important about Mel recounting this particular story? Why is he depressed at the end of the story?
Part 3) Why does Mel's story have such an impact on the rest of the characters in Carver's story?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)