|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author characterize Nick?
2. How does the author characterize Laura?
3. Which of the following literary devices does the author use in his story?
4. Which of the following literary techniques does the author use in comparing Mel's profession with the topic of conversation?
5. What is the overall mood of the characters by the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A foil is a character who provides a contrast to the protagonist in a story. Which characters are foils in this story? Please describe what determines your chosen character as a foil, and why the author may have included them.
Essay Topic 2
The exposition is thought of as the introductory material given by the narrator of a work of literature. What is the main purpose of including exposition? What aspects of the exposition does Carver include in his story?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is a common literary technique that indicates what will happen later in the story. Describe 2-3 instances of foreshadowing in this story. Did the author use them effectively?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)