Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters can be said to be a tragic hero?
2. Why does Mel begin telling his story?
3. Which of the following is a symbol in Carver's story?
4. Who can be said to be Mel's foil in this story?
5. Which of the characters seems to realize first that Mel's desire to experience real love is not yet fulfilled?
The title of a work is one of literature's most important aspects. Why is title thought to be so important to a work of literature? What did the author want to communicate to the reader through this particular title?
Narration refers to the method the author uses to communicate the story to readers. From what type of viewpoint is this story narrated? Discuss the advantages and drawbacks of presenting a story from this viewpoint.
Syntax is the way an author puts words, sentences, and sections together to form ideas and meanings. It can be overt or subtle, isolated to a portion of the work or universal throughout. Describe the syntax Carver uses in this story. How do specific characteristics about the syntax contribute to the reader's experience of the work?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)