|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Other than Mel, which term best describes the characters in the story?
2. Which character becomes increasingly offensive over the course of the story?
3. How does Mel's behavior influence the other characters?
4. Why does Mel's behavior worsen throughout the story?
5. What is the overall mood of the characters by the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This story revolves around love and its various meanings. Compare and contrast the ways each character views and portrays love. What are some possible explanations for their differing understandings of love?
Essay Topic 2
A foil is a character who provides a contrast to the protagonist in a story. Which characters are foils in this story? Please describe what determines your chosen character as a foil, and why the author may have included them.
Essay Topic 3
Mel is a significant character in this story due to his monopolization of the conversation.
Part 1) Discuss the dynamics of Mel's character throughout the course of the story. Does he change much? Why or why not?
Part 2) Do the other characters in the story seem to like or dislike Mel? How can you tell?
Part 3) What are your opinions toward Mel by the end of the story? Do you like him or dislike him?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)