|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Mel finished his story, who does the narrator think knows the meaning of true love?
2. Which of the following symbolizes the hopelessness the characters feel about finding real love?
3. What is the tone of Mel's story about the old couple?
4. Which of the following is the resolution following the climax?
5. Which of the following describes the literary device Carver uses when Terri and Mel talk about Terri's past relationship in detail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This story revolves around love and its various meanings. Compare and contrast the ways each character views and portrays love. What are some possible explanations for their differing understandings of love?
Essay Topic 2
Connotation and denotation help a reader understand the meaning of a particular word or concept. Define both connotation and denotation. Identify a word used by Carver in this story and define its denotation and possible connotations. In this specific story, how does the connotation of terms contribute to the reader's understanding of the work?
Essay Topic 3
The exposition is thought of as the introductory material given by the narrator of a work of literature. What is the main purpose of including exposition? What aspects of the exposition does Carver include in his story?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)