|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, how common are the stages of love the couples are experiencing?
2. Which of the following best describes the mood of the old woman at the end of Mel's story?
3. According to Mel, did Terri love her ex-boyfriend?
4. What aspects of the heart does Mel understand?
5. Who can be said to be Mel's foil in this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagery is used to incorporate any or all of the readers' senses, such as sight, smell, hearing, taste, and touch. Describe at least 3 instances of imagery in Carver's story. What is the main function of each particular occurrence of imagery?
Essay Topic 2
Syntax is the way an author puts words, sentences, and sections together to form ideas and meanings. It can be overt or subtle, isolated to a portion of the work or universal throughout. Describe the syntax Carver uses in this story. How do specific characteristics about the syntax contribute to the reader's experience of the work?
Essay Topic 3
The exposition is thought of as the introductory material given by the narrator of a work of literature. What is the main purpose of including exposition? What aspects of the exposition does Carver include in his story?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)