Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters can be said to be a tragic hero?
2. Why does Mel begin telling his story?
3. Which of the following is a symbol in Carver's story?
4. Who can be said to be Mel's foil in this story?
5. Which of the characters seems to realize first that Mel's desire to experience real love is not yet fulfilled?
What is the function of alcohol in Carver's story? How does it act as a catalyst for the plot?
The exposition is thought of as the introductory material given by the narrator of a work of literature. What is the main purpose of including exposition? What aspects of the exposition does Carver include in his story?
Mel's story of the old couple plays a pivotal role in this story.
Part 1) What is so significant about the story? How does it apply to the overall theme?
Part 2) What is important about Mel recounting this particular story? Why is he depressed at the end of the story?
Part 3) Why does Mel's story have such an impact on the rest of the characters in Carver's story?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)