|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the resolution to the story of the old couple?
2. Did Mel truly love his first wife?
3. How does the author characterize Nick?
4. What is the tone in the beginning of Mel's story about the old couple?
5. Which of the following events is the climax of Carver's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the function of alcohol in Carver's story? How does it act as a catalyst for the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The tragic hero is a character who, despite being capable of greatness, is doomed to fail as a result of circumstances and a tragic flaw. Identify one character in this story who could be described as a tragic hero and support your claim. Does this character fit the typical view of a tragic hero? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Imagery is used to incorporate any or all of the readers' senses, such as sight, smell, hearing, taste, and touch. Describe at least 3 instances of imagery in Carver's story. What is the main function of each particular occurrence of imagery?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)