|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tone of Mel's story about the old couple?
2. Which of the following is the denotation of the word 'love'?
3. What is Mel unable to do in this story?
4. How many purposes does the alcohol serve in this story?
5. With whom does Mel appear to be in conflict over the concept of love more than any other character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A foil is a character who provides a contrast to the protagonist in a story. Which characters are foils in this story? Please describe what determines your chosen character as a foil, and why the author may have included them.
Essay Topic 2
Mel's story of the old couple plays a pivotal role in this story.
Part 1) What is so significant about the story? How does it apply to the overall theme?
Part 2) What is important about Mel recounting this particular story? Why is he depressed at the end of the story?
Part 3) Why does Mel's story have such an impact on the rest of the characters in Carver's story?
Essay Topic 3
The title of a work is one of literature's most important aspects. Why is title thought to be so important to a work of literature? What did the author want to communicate to the reader through this particular title?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)