|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the resolution following the climax?
2. Which of the following is the resolution to the story of the old couple?
3. What is the tone of the story as Nick kisses his wife's hand?
4. Which of the following symbolizes the hopelessness the characters feel about finding real love?
5. According to the author, where are the characters from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tragic hero is a character who, despite being capable of greatness, is doomed to fail as a result of circumstances and a tragic flaw. Identify one character in this story who could be described as a tragic hero and support your claim. Does this character fit the typical view of a tragic hero? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Connotation and denotation help a reader understand the meaning of a particular word or concept. Define both connotation and denotation. Identify a word used by Carver in this story and define its denotation and possible connotations. In this specific story, how does the connotation of terms contribute to the reader's understanding of the work?
Essay Topic 3
Distinguish between tone and mood as used in literature, and then compare and contrast the tone and mood of Carver's story.
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)