|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mel begin telling his story?
2. Which of the following best describes the mood of the old woman at the end of Mel's story?
3. Which of the following are included in the plot of Carver's story?
4. Which character has the dominant role in the story?
5. What is Nick's understanding of Terri and Mel's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Climax in a story is significant to the overall plot. Describe the climax in Carver's story. Did you predict the outcome of the story based on the climax? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A resolution is often included in literature to give the reader a sense of closure. What is the resolution in this story? Discuss whether it adequately resolves the situation and why you think that way. What could the author have done differently?
Essay Topic 3
Characterization refers to the description the author gives of the character's appearance, actions, and thoughts. Discuss the characterization of at least one of the main characters in this story. What could Carver have included that would have enriched the reader's experience of that particular character?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)