Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters can be said to be a tragic hero?
2. Why does Mel begin telling his story?
3. Which of the following is a symbol in Carver's story?
4. Who can be said to be Mel's foil in this story?
5. Which of the characters seems to realize first that Mel's desire to experience real love is not yet fulfilled?
Essay Topic 1
Narration refers to the method the author uses to communicate the story to readers. From what type of viewpoint is this story narrated? Discuss the advantages and drawbacks of presenting a story from this viewpoint.
Essay Topic 2
This story revolves around love and its various meanings. Compare and contrast the ways each character views and portrays love. What are some possible explanations for their differing understandings of love?
Essay Topic 3
Mel is a significant character in this story due to his monopolization of the conversation.
Part 1) Discuss the dynamics of Mel's character throughout the course of the story. Does he change much? Why or why not?
Part 2) Do the other characters in the story seem to like or dislike Mel? How can you tell?
Part 3) What are your opinions toward Mel by the end of the story? Do you like him or dislike him?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)