|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Mel appear to be in conflict over the concept of love more than any other character?
2. What is the narrator's understanding of the meaning of love by the end of the story?
3. According to Mel, did Terri love her ex-boyfriend?
4. Which of the following describes Terri's reaction to Mel's response to the story of the old couple?
5. Which of the following are included in the plot of Carver's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagery is used to incorporate any or all of the readers' senses, such as sight, smell, hearing, taste, and touch. Describe at least 3 instances of imagery in Carver's story. What is the main function of each particular occurrence of imagery?
Essay Topic 2
Mel's story of the old couple plays a pivotal role in this story.
Part 1) What is so significant about the story? How does it apply to the overall theme?
Part 2) What is important about Mel recounting this particular story? Why is he depressed at the end of the story?
Part 3) Why does Mel's story have such an impact on the rest of the characters in Carver's story?
Essay Topic 3
A foil is a character who provides a contrast to the protagonist in a story. Which characters are foils in this story? Please describe what determines your chosen character as a foil, and why the author may have included them.
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)