|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters can be said to be a tragic hero?
2. Which of the following is a form of entertainment for the characters?
3. Did Mel truly love his first wife?
4. To whom does Mel become abusive?
5. Which of the following describes Terri's reaction to Mel's response to the story of the old couple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Climax in a story is significant to the overall plot. Describe the climax in Carver's story. Did you predict the outcome of the story based on the climax? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The exposition is thought of as the introductory material given by the narrator of a work of literature. What is the main purpose of including exposition? What aspects of the exposition does Carver include in his story?
Essay Topic 3
Distinguish between tone and mood as used in literature, and then compare and contrast the tone and mood of Carver's story.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)