|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is dysfunctional about Terri's previous relationship?
2. What does Terri say she will bring out for everyone to nibble on?
3. Who wants to know what the characters are going to do after the glass is spilled?
4. Who is the narrator?
5. Who ends up going to get the snacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was happening when Mel arrived at the hospital?
2. How is a sense of repressed hostility presented in the story?
3. Describe the relationship between Mel and Terri.
4. Describe the setting of the initial part of the story as told by the narrator.
5. Where are the characters in the story from?
6. What sort of casts and bandages are the old couple wearing and why is this a problem?
7. What does Mel seem to require in order to feel comfortable about opening up to the other characters?
8. Why is it ironic that Mel is a cardiologist by profession?
9. What is the nature of Terri and Ed's involvement?
10. Why does Terri scold Mel for being insensitive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A foil is a character who provides a contrast to the protagonist in a story. Which characters are foils in this story? Please describe what determines your chosen character as a foil, and why the author may have included them.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is an important tool authors use to effectively communicate ideas and meanings to the reader. Identify one symbol Carver uses in his story and describe what it symbolizes. What purpose does it serve to have this particular symbol in the story?
Essay Topic 3
This story revolves around love and its various meanings. Compare and contrast the ways each character views and portrays love. What are some possible explanations for their differing understandings of love?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)