|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the temperature of the area the group is sitting in described?
2. Why does Terri chastise Mel?
3. What is Mel's ex-wife's name?
4. What is the main topic of the couples' conversation?
5. In addition to the beverages, what else is passed around during the conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Mel's story about the old couple ends?
2. Describe Mel and Laura's relationship.
3. What does Mel tell Laura he would do if anything happened to their spouses? Why?
4. What does Mel think about the cause of the old man's depression?
5. Compare Mel and Terri's relationship to Nick and Laura's.
6. Where are the characters in the story from?
7. Describe the setting of the initial part of the story as told by the narrator.
8. What does Mel hope will happen to his ex-wife and why?
9. Describe the interaction between Mel and Terri surrounding Mel's ex-wife.
10. What is Mel feeling as he describes the old man's love, who senses this, and what is his or her response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This story revolves around love and its various meanings. Compare and contrast the ways each character views and portrays love. What are some possible explanations for their differing understandings of love?
Essay Topic 2
Distinguish between tone and mood as used in literature, and then compare and contrast the tone and mood of Carver's story.
Essay Topic 3
A resolution is often included in literature to give the reader a sense of closure. What is the resolution in this story? Discuss whether it adequately resolves the situation and why you think that way. What could the author have done differently?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)