|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mel say he would have liked to have done as a profession?
2. What does Mel suggest after the story is interrupted?
3. What is Mel's profession?
4. What is the geographic setting for the story?
5. What time of day does the car accident occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Terri think her ex-boyfriend loved her? Why?
2. Why does Mel become more and more animated?
3. What effect does alcohol have on the characters' conversation about real love?
4. Describe the relationship between Terri and Ed from Terri's point-of-view.
5. What happens after Mel's story about the old couple ends?
6. Describe the relationship between Mel and Terri.
7. Why is it ironic that Mel is a cardiologist by profession?
8. What does Mel hope will happen to his ex-wife and why?
9. What does Mel tell Laura he would do if anything happened to their spouses? Why?
10. What sort of casts and bandages are the old couple wearing and why is this a problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of a work is one of literature's most important aspects. Why is title thought to be so important to a work of literature? What did the author want to communicate to the reader through this particular title?
Essay Topic 2
A foil is a character who provides a contrast to the protagonist in a story. Which characters are foils in this story? Please describe what determines your chosen character as a foil, and why the author may have included them.
Essay Topic 3
A resolution is often included in literature to give the reader a sense of closure. What is the resolution in this story? Discuss whether it adequately resolves the situation and why you think that way. What could the author have done differently?
This section contains 1,537 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)