|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reminds Mel that it is for the best that he has his current profession?
2. Which of the characters is clearly an alcoholic?
3. What is the geographic setting for the story?
4. Who asks Mel to continue the story of the old couple?
5. Where does the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the symbolism of Mel wanting to wear armor.
2. How many views of the situation does the author give the reader? Do you think this is helpful or not? Why?
3. Where are the characters in the story from?
4. What happens after Mel spills his glass on the table?
5. What relationship does Mel have to the old man in the hospital?
6. Why is it ironic that Mel is a cardiologist by profession?
7. Does Terri think her ex-boyfriend loved her? Why?
8. Compare Mel and Terri's relationship to Nick and Laura's.
9. What happens after Mel's story about the old couple ends?
10. Why does Terri scold Mel for being insensitive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the function of alcohol in Carver's story? How does it act as a catalyst for the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Distinguish between tone and mood as used in literature, and then compare and contrast the tone and mood of Carver's story.
Essay Topic 3
Syntax is the way an author puts words, sentences, and sections together to form ideas and meanings. It can be overt or subtle, isolated to a portion of the work or universal throughout. Describe the syntax Carver uses in this story. How do specific characteristics about the syntax contribute to the reader's experience of the work?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)