Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who notes that the characters "are all from someplace else"?
2. What time of day does the car accident occur?
3. Which of the characters is clearly an alcoholic?
4. What is the geographic setting for the story?
5. Who reminds Mel that it is for the best that he has his current profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction between Mel and Terri surrounding Mel's ex-wife.
2. Describe the characters' response to Mel's revelation that real love does exist.
3. Describe what Mel was doing when he was notified of the car accident.
4. Describe the setting of the initial part of the story as told by the narrator.
5. Describe the relationship between Mel and Terri.
6. What does Mel think about the cause of the old man's depression?
7. Why does Terri scold Mel for being insensitive?
8. What is the attitude of the other characters in the story as Mel becomes drunk?
9. What does Mel hope will happen to his ex-wife and why?
10. Would you describe Mel as brave to introduce the meaning of real love? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 1
Climax in a story is significant to the overall plot. Describe the climax in Carver's story. Did you predict the outcome of the story based on the climax? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is a common literary technique that indicates what will happen later in the story. Describe 2-3 instances of foreshadowing in this story. Did the author use them effectively?
Essay Topic 3
Distinguish between tone and mood as used in literature, and then compare and contrast the tone and mood of Carver's story.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)