|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Terri give for her ex-boyfriend trying to kill her?
2. What is the old couple's condition after the accident?
3. Which of the characters is clearly an alcoholic?
4. What does Mel suggest after the story is interrupted?
5. What can the narrator hear near the end of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mel think about the cause of the old man's depression?
2. What two purposes does alcohol seem to serve in the story?
3. What is the purpose of stating that each character is "from somewhere else"?
4. Compare Mel and Terri's relationship to Nick and Laura's.
5. Describe Mel and Laura's relationship.
6. Why is Mel frustrated with the meaning of love?
7. Describe the symbolism of Mel wanting to wear armor.
8. Which character is the most likable and why?
9. How long have Nick and Laura been married in comparison to Terri and Mel?
10. Why does Terri scold Mel for being insensitive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Climax in a story is significant to the overall plot. Describe the climax in Carver's story. Did you predict the outcome of the story based on the climax? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Imagery is used to incorporate any or all of the readers' senses, such as sight, smell, hearing, taste, and touch. Describe at least 3 instances of imagery in Carver's story. What is the main function of each particular occurrence of imagery?
Essay Topic 3
Narration refers to the method the author uses to communicate the story to readers. From what type of viewpoint is this story narrated? Discuss the advantages and drawbacks of presenting a story from this viewpoint.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)