|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mel say he would have liked to have done as a profession?
2. Who shakes the empty beverage container at Mel?
3. Which character contends that abusive behavior is, in fact, love?
4. Who wants to know what the characters are going to do after the glass is spilled?
5. Why does Terri chastise Mel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Terri think her ex-boyfriend loved her? Why?
2. What relationship does Mel have to the old man in the hospital?
3. Describe what Mel was doing when he was notified of the car accident.
4. Describe the mood of the second portion of Mel's story.
5. According to Mel, why is the old man depressed?
6. What does the author seem to be saying about universal stages and phases of love?
7. What two purposes does alcohol seem to serve in the story?
8. What is the nature of Terri and Ed's involvement?
9. Why does Mel become more and more animated?
10. How is a sense of repressed hostility presented in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Distinguish between tone and mood as used in literature, and then compare and contrast the tone and mood of Carver's story.
Essay Topic 2
Climax in a story is significant to the overall plot. Describe the climax in Carver's story. Did you predict the outcome of the story based on the climax? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is a common literary technique that indicates what will happen later in the story. Describe 2-3 instances of foreshadowing in this story. Did the author use them effectively?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)