|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the depression revealed?
2. How often does Mel check in on the old couple?
3. Who does Mel say he would go after if his wife died?
4. What hits the old couple's car?
5. What does Nick notice after the story is over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the prognosis for the old couple over the course of their hospitalization?
2. Describe the characters' response to Mel's revelation that real love does exist.
3. How is a sense of repressed hostility presented in the story?
4. What was Mel's relationship with the old couple like?
5. Describe the relationship between Terri and Ed from Terri's point-of-view.
6. What does Mel hope will happen to his ex-wife and why?
7. Describe the setting of the initial part of the story as told by the narrator.
8. What was happening when Mel arrived at the hospital?
9. Where are the characters in the story from?
10. Why does Terri hope that Marjorie will remarry or die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Mel is a significant character in this story due to his monopolization of the conversation. Part 1) Discuss the dynamics of Mel's character throughout the course of the story. Does he change much? Why or why not? Part 2) Do the other characters in the story seem to like or dislike Mel? How can you tell? Part 3) What are your opinions toward Mel by the end of the story? Do you like him or dislike him?
Essay Topic 2Imagery is used to incorporate any or all of the readers' senses, such as sight, smell, hearing, taste, and touch. Describe at least 3 instances of imagery in Carver's story. What is the main function of each particular occurrence of imagery?
Essay Topic 3This story revolves around love and its various meanings. Compare and contrast the ways each character views and portrays love. What are some possible explanations for their differing understandings of love?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)