Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who notes that the characters "are all from someplace else"?
2. What time of day does the car accident occur?
3. Which of the characters is clearly an alcoholic?
4. What is the geographic setting for the story?
5. Who reminds Mel that it is for the best that he has his current profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction between Mel and Terri surrounding Mel's ex-wife.
2. Describe the characters' response to Mel's revelation that real love does exist.
3. Describe what Mel was doing when he was notified of the car accident.
4. Describe the setting of the initial part of the story as told by the narrator.
5. Describe the relationship between Mel and Terri.
6. What does Mel think about the cause of the old man's depression?
7. Why does Terri scold Mel for being insensitive?
8. What is the attitude of the other characters in the story as Mel becomes drunk?
9. What does Mel hope will happen to his ex-wife and why?
10. Would you describe Mel as brave to introduce the meaning of real love? Why or why not?
Characterization refers to the description the author gives of the character's appearance, actions, and thoughts. Discuss the characterization of at least one of the main characters in this story. What could Carver have included that would have enriched the reader's experience of that particular character?
The tragic hero is a character who, despite being capable of greatness, is doomed to fail as a result of circumstances and a tragic flaw. Identify one character in this story who could be described as a tragic hero and support your claim. Does this character fit the typical view of a tragic hero? Why or why not?
What is the function of alcohol in Carver's story? How does it act as a catalyst for the plot?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)