|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Mel wonder about new love?
2. "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love" is a(n) ________ story of ____________ couples.
3. What is in the spilled glass?
4. What is the relationship between Terri and Nick?
5. What is Mel's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Terri scold Mel for being insensitive?
2. What was the prognosis for the old couple over the course of their hospitalization?
3. What happens after Mel spills his glass on the table?
4. Would you describe Mel as brave to introduce the meaning of real love? Why or why not?
5. Describe the relationship between Mel and Terri.
6. What does Mel hope will happen to his ex-wife and why?
7. What two professions does Mel say he would have liked to have had and why?
8. Why does Terri hope that Marjorie will remarry or die?
9. What does Mel seem to require in order to feel comfortable about opening up to the other characters?
10. What effect does alcohol have on the characters' conversation about real love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Narration refers to the method the author uses to communicate the story to readers. From what type of viewpoint is this story narrated? Discuss the advantages and drawbacks of presenting a story from this viewpoint.
Essay Topic 2
Authors often use setting, including the time of day, to communicate an important message about the story. The setting can have a significant impact on the tone and mood of a story.
Part 1) Discuss the clues Carver gives readers as to the time of day as the story unfolds.
Part 2) Why does Carver choose this particular time of day as a setting for a story about love?
Part 3) Pick a time of day (or night) different from the actual one in the story and discuss how the story would have been different had it been set during this time.
Essay Topic 3
Climax in a story is significant to the overall plot. Describe the climax in Carver's story. Did you predict the outcome of the story based on the climax? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,573 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)