|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the old couple's condition after the accident?
2. What is in the spilled glass?
3. Who wants to know what the characters are going to do after the glass is spilled?
4. Who is the narrator?
5. Why is the story of the old couple told?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Mel spills his glass on the table?
2. What tone does Mel have as he recounts the story of the old couple and why?
3. Describe the relationship between Terri and Ed from Terri's point-of-view.
4. How is Nick and Laura's relationship portrayed by the author?
5. Why does Terri scold Mel for being insensitive?
6. What does Mel tell Laura he would do if anything happened to their spouses? Why?
7. Describe the interaction between Laura and Terri in the closing scene.
8. Why do you think the characters enter a depressive state by the end of the story?
9. Why is Mel frustrated with the meaning of love?
10. Describe Mel's relationship with his ex-wife.
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is a common literary technique that indicates what will happen later in the story. Describe 2-3 instances of foreshadowing in this story. Did the author use them effectively?
Essay Topic 2
The title of a work is one of literature's most important aspects. Why is title thought to be so important to a work of literature? What did the author want to communicate to the reader through this particular title?
Essay Topic 3
The tragic hero is a character who, despite being capable of greatness, is doomed to fail as a result of circumstances and a tragic flaw. Identify one character in this story who could be described as a tragic hero and support your claim. Does this character fit the typical view of a tragic hero? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,554 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)