|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Terri suggest Mel do to make himself feel better?
2. Who is married to Nick?
3. Who ends up going to get the snacks?
4. What does Nick notice after the story is over?
5. Why does Mel's wife want this to happen to his ex-wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the final conclusion about the meaning of love?
2. Why is it ironic that Mel is a cardiologist by profession?
3. Describe what Mel was doing when he was notified of the car accident.
4. How is Nick and Laura's relationship portrayed by the author?
5. What relationship does Mel have to the old man in the hospital?
6. Describe the interaction between Mel and Terri surrounding Mel's ex-wife.
7. What happens after Mel spills his glass on the table?
8. Describe the relationship between Terri and Ed from Terri's point-of-view.
9. What was the prognosis for the old couple over the course of their hospitalization?
10. What was happening when Mel arrived at the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This story revolves around love and its various meanings. Compare and contrast the ways each character views and portrays love. What are some possible explanations for their differing understandings of love?
Essay Topic 2
Climax in a story is significant to the overall plot. Describe the climax in Carver's story. Did you predict the outcome of the story based on the climax? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the function of alcohol in Carver's story? How does it act as a catalyst for the plot?
This section contains 1,534 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)