|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the characters is clearly an alcoholic?
2. Which of the following does Mel wonder about new love?
3. What does Mel say he would have liked to have done as a profession?
4. What reason does Terri give for her ex-boyfriend trying to kill her?
5. How often does Mel check in on the old couple?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the prognosis for the old couple over the course of their hospitalization?
2. Who is the dominant character in Carver's story, and how do you know?
3. Why does Laura bump Nick's knee under the table?
4. What does Mel hope will happen to his ex-wife and why?
5. How does Nick respond when Mel says he would have liked a different profession?
6. Describe the relationship between Mel and Terri.
7. Describe the mood of the second portion of Mel's story.
8. What does Mel think of Nick and Laura's love?
9. Describe what Mel was doing when he was notified of the car accident.
10. Compare Mel and Terri's relationship to Nick and Laura's.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Distinguish between tone and mood as used in literature, and then compare and contrast the tone and mood of Carver's story.
Essay Topic 2
Connotation and denotation help a reader understand the meaning of a particular word or concept. Define both connotation and denotation. Identify a word used by Carver in this story and define its denotation and possible connotations. In this specific story, how does the connotation of terms contribute to the reader's understanding of the work?
Essay Topic 3
This story revolves around love and its various meanings. Compare and contrast the ways each character views and portrays love. What are some possible explanations for their differing understandings of love?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)