|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who notes that the characters "are all from someplace else"?
2. What time of day does the car accident occur?
3. Which of the characters is clearly an alcoholic?
4. What is the geographic setting for the story?
5. Who reminds Mel that it is for the best that he has his current profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction between Mel and Terri surrounding Mel's ex-wife.
2. Describe the characters' response to Mel's revelation that real love does exist.
3. Describe what Mel was doing when he was notified of the car accident.
4. Describe the setting of the initial part of the story as told by the narrator.
5. Describe the relationship between Mel and Terri.
6. What does Mel think about the cause of the old man's depression?
7. Why does Terri scold Mel for being insensitive?
8. What is the attitude of the other characters in the story as Mel becomes drunk?
9. What does Mel hope will happen to his ex-wife and why?
10. Would you describe Mel as brave to introduce the meaning of real love? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 1
Distinguish between tone and mood as used in literature, and then compare and contrast the tone and mood of Carver's story.
Essay Topic 2
This story revolves around love and its various meanings. Compare and contrast the ways each character views and portrays love. What are some possible explanations for their differing understandings of love?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is an important tool authors use to effectively communicate ideas and meanings to the reader. Identify one symbol Carver uses in his story and describe what it symbolizes. What purpose does it serve to have this particular symbol in the story?
This section contains 1,536 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)