|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Terri say she loved to the point of distraction?
2. How old is Laura?
3. Which character spent five years in a seminary?
4. Why does Mel hope his ex-wife will get injured?
5. Who turns on a light in the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction between Mel and Terri surrounding Mel's ex-wife.
2. Describe the symbolism of Mel wanting to wear armor.
3. How long have Nick and Laura been married in comparison to Terri and Mel?
4. How is Mel's discussion of love similar to his profession?
5. Describe the relationship between Mel and Terri.
6. Describe the interaction between Laura and Terri in the closing scene.
7. What two professions does Mel say he would have liked to have had and why?
8. Do you think Mel's example of real love is an appropriate one? Why or why not?
9. What does Mel tell Laura he would do if anything happened to their spouses? Why?
10. What two purposes does alcohol seem to serve in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is a common literary technique that indicates what will happen later in the story. Describe 2-3 instances of foreshadowing in this story. Did the author use them effectively?
Essay Topic 2
A foil is a character who provides a contrast to the protagonist in a story. Which characters are foils in this story? Please describe what determines your chosen character as a foil, and why the author may have included them.
Essay Topic 3
The tragic hero is a character who, despite being capable of greatness, is doomed to fail as a result of circumstances and a tragic flaw. Identify one character in this story who could be described as a tragic hero and support your claim. Does this character fit the typical view of a tragic hero? Why or why not?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)