|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of day does this story end?
(a) Early morning.
(d) Late afternoon.
2. Why might point of view play a role in how Mel's relationship is perceived by the reader?
(a) The narrator may feel negatively toward Mel's relationship, thereby influencing the reader's opinion.
(b) The story is told from Mel's point of view, so the reader only understands his relationship.
(c) Point of view does not play a significant role in the story.
(d) The narrator is neutral toward Mel's relationship, allowing for free interpretation by the reader.
3. How are the two couples different from other people in a relationship?
(a) They have a better understanding of love.
(b) They have a weaker understanding of love.
(c) They are no different.
(d) They are older than the average couple in love.
4. Which of the following characters chastises another at one point in the story?
(a) Terri chastises Ed.
(b) Terri chastises Mel.
(c) Laura chastises Terri.
(d) Nick chastises Laura.
5. What aspects of the heart does Mel understand?
(a) The connotation.
(b) The concept of healing one broken by unrequited love.
(c) The emotional nuances.
(d) The physical properties.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Mel become abusive?
2. Other than Mel, which term best describes the characters in the story?
3. Who can be said to be Mel's foil in this story?
4. As Carver's story progresses, how do Mel and Terri's attitudes toward each other change?
5. According to the author, what characteristics are typically granted to the heart?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)