|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mel, did Terri love her ex-boyfriend?
(a) No, she only thought she did.
(b) She loved him only after he died.
(c) Yes, she must have.
(d) The author does not address this topic.
2. With whom does Mel appear to be in conflict over the concept of love more than any other character?
3. What seems to help Mel and the other characters loosen up?
4. What is Nick's understanding of Terri and Mel's relationship?
(a) It is something he wants to work toward.
(b) It is unromantic and hostile.
(c) He is neutral toward their relationship.
(d) It is strong and full of love for each other.
5. Through which of the following methods does Carver communicate most of the significant aspects of his story?
(d) Figurative language.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is an example of situational irony?
2. According to the author, what role do analysis and science play in the meaning of love?
3. Over what length of time does this story take place?
4. How are the two couples different from other people in a relationship?
5. Which of the characters seems to realize first that Mel's desire to experience real love is not yet fulfilled?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)