|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the denotation of the word 'love'?
(a) The images that come to mind and the feelings that are evoked.
(b) Past memories associated with relationships.
(c) A tender affection for another person.
(d) An extreme dislike of another person.
2. In which part of the story does the narrator mention where the characters are from?
(a) In the middle.
(b) In the beginning.
(c) The narrator does not mention it at all.
(d) In the final paragraph.
3. What effect does the alcohol have on the characters by the end of the story?
(a) The characters are all crying.
(b) The characters are all laughing.
(c) The characters are all numb.
(d) The characters become angry with one another.
4. Who encourages Mel to explore the topic of love?
(c) His wife.
(d) No one.
5. How does the author characterize Nick?
(a) Passive and observant.
(b) Gentle and compassionate.
(c) Reasonable and logical.
(d) Loud and gregarious.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through which of the following methods does Carver communicate most of the significant aspects of his story?
2. According to the author, what characteristics are typically granted to the heart?
3. Which of the following events is the climax of Carver's story?
4. In what part of the story does the exposition appear?
5. Which of the following is a form of entertainment for the characters?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)