|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Mel become abusive?
2. In which part of the story does the narrator mention where the characters are from?
(a) The narrator does not mention it at all.
(b) In the final paragraph.
(c) In the middle.
(d) In the beginning.
3. Which of the following is an important theme in the story?
(b) Telling the truth.
4. Which of the following is a symbol in Carver's story?
(c) Ice cream.
(d) Knight's armor.
5. Why might point of view play a role in how Mel's relationship is perceived by the reader?
(a) Point of view does not play a significant role in the story.
(b) The narrator is neutral toward Mel's relationship, allowing for free interpretation by the reader.
(c) The story is told from Mel's point of view, so the reader only understands his relationship.
(d) The narrator may feel negatively toward Mel's relationship, thereby influencing the reader's opinion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the denotation of the word 'love'?
2. How are the two couples different from other people in a relationship?
3. What effect may the alcohol have had on everyone besides Mel?
4. How many stages of love are there, according to the author?
5. According to the author, what characteristics are typically granted to the heart?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)