|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nick's understanding of Terri and Mel's relationship?
(a) It is something he wants to work toward.
(b) It is unromantic and hostile.
(c) It is strong and full of love for each other.
(d) He is neutral toward their relationship.
2. Which of the following is an important theme in the story?
(a) Telling the truth.
3. When the author uses the term 'universal', to what is he referring?
(b) The stages of love.
(c) The use of song to make people feel better.
(d) The romance present in relationships.
4. How does the author characterize Terri and Mel's relationship?
(a) Strong and honest.
(b) Hostile and rocky.
(c) Egalitarian and loving.
(d) Unstable and volatile.
5. What do the characters talk about after Mel is finished with his story?
(a) Their feelings for each other.
(c) Where to go for dinner.
(d) The weather outside.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to help Mel and the other characters loosen up?
2. What literary device does the author use in portraying Mel's difficulty in understanding love despite his profession?
3. Which of the following are included in the plot of Carver's story?
4. Which of the following terms refers to the literal definition of 'heart'?
5. How many purposes does the alcohol serve in this story?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)