|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is a form of entertainment for the characters?
(a) Drinking alcohol.
(b) Playing board games.
(c) Singing songs.
2. In what part of the story does the exposition appear?
(a) The end.
(b) The middle.
(c) The beginning.
(d) There is not exposition in this story.
3. Which of the following is the resolution following the climax?
(a) The characters meditating on the meaning of love.
(b) The compromise between Nick and Mel.
(c) The sun rising.
(d) The acceptance of Laura by Terri and Nick.
4. How is the topic of love broached?
(a) Mel starts talking about it.
(b) The characters are reading the same book.
(c) Laura's children ask about it.
(d) Terri has a dream about love.
5. Which of the following is a symbol in this story?
(b) The heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through which of the following methods does Carver communicate most of the significant aspects of his story?
2. How are the two couples different from other people in a relationship?
3. How many purposes does the alcohol serve in this story?
4. Which of the following is the resolution to the story of the old couple?
5. According to the author, Mel's profession requires a significant amount of:
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)