|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what part of the story does the exposition appear?
(a) The end.
(b) The middle.
(c) The beginning.
(d) There is not exposition in this story.
2. What is the tone of Mel's story about the old couple?
3. Where are the other characters when Mel begins to talk about love?
(a) At the table.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) The author does not say.
4. What is Mel unable to do in this story?
(a) Articulate his ideas about love.
(b) Understand the workings of the human heart.
(c) Comprehend the effect of imagery in the story.
(d) Become uninhibited.
5. According to the author, what role do analysis and science play in the meaning of love?
(b) They explain it fully.
(c) It is not clear.
(d) They contribute to only the physiological responses.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author characterize Laura and Terri's relationship?
2. Which of the following describes the literary device Carver uses when Terri and Mel talk about Terri's past relationship in detail?
3. Why does Mel begin telling his story?
4. Who can be said to be Mel's foil in this story?
5. What can describe Mel's behavior as the conversation progresses?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)