|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the topic of love broached?
(a) Terri has a dream about love.
(b) Mel starts talking about it.
(c) The characters are reading the same book.
(d) Laura's children ask about it.
2. What sort of love does Mel have trouble understanding?
(b) Pure and fulfilling.
(c) Soft and gentle.
(d) Harsh and fierce.
3. According to Mel, did Terri love her ex-boyfriend?
(a) She loved him only after he died.
(b) No, she only thought she did.
(c) Yes, she must have.
(d) The author does not address this topic.
4. Which of the following is the resolution to the story of the old couple?
(a) They realize that they are not meant to be together.
(b) There is no resolution.
(c) They both end up dying.
(d) They recover and are discharged from the hospital.
5. How many stages of love are there, according to the author?
(a) Only one.
(d) It is unclear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary device does the author use in portraying Mel's difficulty in understanding love despite his profession?
2. Who ultimately provides the most insight into what love really means?
3. Why might point of view play a role in how Mel's relationship is perceived by the reader?
4. How does the tone change as the story progresses?
5. Which of the following is the denotation of the word 'love'?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)