|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the tone change as the story progresses?
(a) There is no clear tone.
(b) It relaxes.
(c) It becomes more tense.
(d) It becomes humorous.
2. How does the author characterize Nick?
(a) Loud and gregarious.
(b) Reasonable and logical.
(c) Passive and observant.
(d) Gentle and compassionate.
3. Which of the following are included in the plot of Carver's story?
(a) The story takes place in early morning.
(b) Four characters gather in someone's home.
(c) Nick thinks back to a previous relationship.
(d) The characters are much happier at the end of the story.
4. Which of the following best describes the mood of the old woman at the end of Mel's story?
(d) It is not clear.
5. What is the narrator's understanding of the meaning of love by the end of the story?
(a) It is depressing.
(b) It is unclear.
(c) It is only available to those married a long time.
(d) It is full of thrills and romance.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Carver's story progresses, how do Mel and Terri's attitudes toward each other change?
2. What is the tone in the beginning of Mel's story about the old couple?
3. Where are the other characters when Mel begins to talk about love?
4. Why is Mel's story interrupted in the middle?
5. Which of the following techniques does the author use in his story?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)