|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is an important theme in the story?
(b) Telling the truth.
2. Who can be said to be Mel's foil in this story?
3. Did Mel truly love his first wife?
(a) He thought he did but probably didn't.
(b) Yes, they were deeply in love.
(c) Yes, and Mel is still in love with her.
(d) The author does not address this topic.
4. Which of the following is an example of situational irony?
(a) The story is about finding the meaning of love, yet it ends with no clear meaning at all.
(b) Laura and Nick are not really in love.
(c) Terri is Mel's wife, but used to be married to his brother.
(d) Mel says he does not know anything about love, and the reader finds this to be true.
5. What sort of love does Mel have trouble understanding?
(a) Harsh and fierce.
(b) Pure and fulfilling.
(c) Soft and gentle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is used as a symbol of lack of inhibition in the story?
2. According to the author, what role do analysis and science play in the meaning of love?
3. Which of the following is a connotation of the word 'heart'?
4. How are the two couples different from other people in a relationship?
5. What aspects of the heart does Mel understand?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)