|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can be said to be a motif in Carver's story?
(d) The color red.
2. How does the tone change as the story progresses?
(a) There is no clear tone.
(b) It becomes humorous.
(c) It relaxes.
(d) It becomes more tense.
3. Which of the following characters chastises another at one point in the story?
(a) Terri chastises Ed.
(b) Nick chastises Laura.
(c) Laura chastises Terri.
(d) Terri chastises Mel.
4. What term best describes Mel's nature?
5. Which of the following is an important theme in the story?
(c) Telling the truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following terms refers to the literal definition of 'heart'?
2. Which of the following characters are able to loosen up over the course of the story?
3. According to the author, how common are the stages of love the couples are experiencing?
4. Why does Mel begin telling his story?
5. Other than Mel, which term best describes the characters in the story?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)