|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Carver's story progresses, how do Mel and Terri's attitudes toward each other change?
(a) They are indifferent toward each other.
(b) They become more hostile toward each other.
(c) They fall more in love.
(d) They become more polite to each other.
2. Which of the following is a symbol in this story?
(b) The heart.
3. Why does Mel begin telling his story?
(a) He is bored.
(b) Others ask him if he has any stories to tell.
(c) He is intoxicated and doesn't know what he is doing.
(d) To explain the meaning of real love.
4. What can describe Mel's behavior as the conversation progresses?
5. Which of the following describes the literary device Carver uses when Terri and Mel talk about Terri's past relationship in detail?
(c) Dramatic irony.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tone of Mel's story about the old couple?
2. Which of the following is an important theme in the story?
3. According to Mel, did Terri love her ex-boyfriend?
4. Which of the following characters are able to loosen up over the course of the story?
5. How does the author characterize Nick?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)