|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What literary tool is used in the story of the old couple and Mel and Terri's relationship?
2. Who ultimately provides the most insight into what love really means?
3. After Mel finished his story, who does the narrator think knows the meaning of true love?
(a) No one.
4. Which of the following is a symbol in this story?
(c) The heart.
5. According to the author, how common are the stages of love the couples are experiencing?
(a) They are common to couples their age.
(b) They are unique to these couples.
(c) They are universal.
(d) They are common to Western European couples.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author characterize Laura?
2. Which of the following literary techniques does the author use in comparing Mel's profession with the topic of conversation?
3. Which character has the dominant role in the story?
4. Which of the following describes the literary device Carver uses when Terri and Mel talk about Terri's past relationship in detail?
5. What aspects of the heart does Mel understand?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)