|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters chastises another at one point in the story?
(a) Laura chastises Terri.
(b) Terri chastises Ed.
(c) Terri chastises Mel.
(d) Nick chastises Laura.
2. Which of the following is a symbol in Carver's story?
(a) Ice cream.
(c) Knight's armor.
3. Which character has the dominant role in the story?
4. What do the characters talk about after Mel is finished with his story?
(a) Where to go for dinner.
(c) The weather outside.
(d) Their feelings for each other.
5. Which of the following is a form of entertainment for the characters?
(a) Playing board games.
(c) Singing songs.
(d) Drinking alcohol.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary tool is used in the story of the old couple and Mel and Terri's relationship?
2. How does the author characterize Nick?
3. Which of the following best describes the mood of the old woman at the end of Mel's story?
4. Why might point of view play a role in how Mel's relationship is perceived by the reader?
5. Which of the following describes the literary device Carver uses when Terri and Mel talk about Terri's past relationship in detail?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)