|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters can be said to be a tragic hero?
2. Which of the following is a connotation of the word 'heart'?
(a) Emotions and memories connected to loving and feeling.
(b) The organ responsible for moving blood around the body.
(c) A geometrical shape usually given on Valentine's Day.
(d) The center of something.
3. Which of the following are included in the plot of Carver's story?
(a) The story takes place in early morning.
(b) Nick thinks back to a previous relationship.
(c) The characters are much happier at the end of the story.
(d) Four characters gather in someone's home.
4. What sort of love does Mel have trouble understanding?
(b) Pure and fulfilling.
(c) Harsh and fierce.
(d) Soft and gentle.
5. What literary device does the author use in portraying Mel's difficulty in understanding love despite his profession?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who can be said to be Mel's foil in this story?
2. According to the author, Mel's profession requires a significant amount of:
3. Did Mel truly love his first wife?
4. How does the author characterize Terri and Mel's relationship?
5. According to Mel, did Terri love her ex-boyfriend?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)