|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mel's ex-wife's name?
2. Who tells the story of the old couple?
3. What is the cause of the old man's depression?
(a) He loses his job.
(b) He is unable to see his wife.
(c) He can no longer take part in extramarital affairs.
(d) He is thinking about living the rest of his life as an invalid.
4. Who says they know what love really is and has an example to share?
5. Who is married to Nick?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator?
2. How often does Mel check in on the old couple?
3. What is dysfunctional about Terri's previous relationship?
4. Who asks for something to eat before dinner?
5. Who tells Mel that every person is different when it comes to love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mel tell Laura he would do if anything happened to their spouses? Why?
2. Describe the interaction between Laura and Terri in the closing scene.
3. How is Mel's discussion of love similar to his profession?
4. Describe the characters' response to Mel's revelation that real love does exist.
5. Describe the relationship between Laura and Nick.
6. What was Mel's relationship with the old couple like?
7. How is Nick and Laura's relationship portrayed by the author?
8. Do you think Mel's example of real love is an appropriate one? Why or why not?
9. What impact does point of view have on this story?
10. What does Mel hope will happen to his ex-wife and why?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)