|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who bumps Nick's knee under the table?
2. Who tells the story of the old couple?
3. Who claims that abusive behavior is not love?
4. Who asks for something to eat before dinner?
5. In addition to the beverages, what else is passed around during the conversation?
(a) An ice bucket.
(b) A photo album.
(c) A guitar.
(d) A journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says they know what love really is and has an example to share?
2. What is the geographic setting for the story?
3. Which character claims that no one really knows about love, because "everyone is really just a beginner"?
4. Where do the old couple move to?
5. Who decides that calling Mel's children might not be a good idea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tone does Mel have as he recounts the story of the old couple and why?
2. What is the attitude of the other characters in the story as Mel becomes drunk?
3. Describe Mel and Laura's relationship.
4. What does Mel tell Laura he would do if anything happened to their spouses? Why?
5. What does Mel hope will happen to his ex-wife and why?
6. How many views of the situation does the author give the reader? Do you think this is helpful or not? Why?
7. What was Mel's relationship with the old couple like?
8. What effect does alcohol have on the characters' conversation about real love?
9. What does the author seem to be saying about universal stages and phases of love?
10. Describe the relationship between Mel and Terri.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)