|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who threatens to kill Mel?
2. What does Terri suggest Mel do to make himself feel better?
(a) Take medication.
(b) Call his parents.
(c) Go to bed.
(d) Have a drink.
3. What is Mel's profession?
(c) Marriage counselor.
4. Who suggests that the group go to dinner?
5. How long has Nick been married?
(a) He has not yet married.
(b) A year and a half.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Ten years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shakes the empty beverage container at Mel?
2. What is the cause of the old man's depression?
3. Who tells the story of the old couple?
4. Where are additional beverages kept?
5. What is the beverage of choice throughout the duration of the conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship does Mel have to the old man in the hospital?
2. What effect does alcohol have on the characters' conversation about real love?
3. What two purposes does alcohol seem to serve in the story?
4. Why does Terri hope that Marjorie will remarry or die?
5. Describe the setting at the end of the story.
6. What sort of casts and bandages are the old couple wearing and why is this a problem?
7. What does Mel think about the cause of the old man's depression?
8. What is the attitude of the other characters in the story as Mel becomes drunk?
9. Describe the characters' response to Mel's revelation that real love does exist.
10. What was happening when Mel arrived at the hospital?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)