|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the old couple appear in the hospital?
(a) They are encased in body casts.
(b) They are unresponsive.
(c) They appear to hate each other.
(d) They appear overly happy and excited.
2. What is in the spilled glass?
(a) Gin and tonic.
(d) Iced tea.
3. What is the geographic setting for the story?
(b) Bar Harbor.
4. What is dysfunctional about Terri's previous relationship?
(a) She would help him commit crimes.
(b) They gave away their children.
(c) They never lived together.
(d) Her boyfriend beat her.
5. What does Nick do as a sign of romantic love?
(a) Writes a love song.
(b) Kisses his wife's hand.
(c) Recites poetry.
(d) Gives his wife a rose.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reminds Mel that it is for the best that he has his current profession?
2. Terri teases the other couple for acting as if:
3. How does Terri's ex-boyfriend attempt suicide the first time?
4. What does Mel's wife hope will happen to his ex-wife?
5. Who brings up the topic of "spiritual love"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What description does the author give of Laura?
2. How is Nick and Laura's relationship portrayed by the author?
3. What happens after Mel spills his glass on the table?
4. Why does Laura bump Nick's knee under the table?
5. What two professions does Mel say he would have liked to have had and why?
6. What does the author seem to be saying about universal stages and phases of love?
7. Who is the dominant character in Carver's story, and how do you know?
8. Which character is the least likable and why?
9. What impact does point of view have on this story?
10. How long have Nick and Laura been married in comparison to Terri and Mel?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)