|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens immediately after the story of the old couple is over?
(a) No one speaks.
(b) One of the couples decides to get a divorce.
(c) The fire alarm goes off.
(d) The wine bottle crashes to the floor.
2. What does Terri say she will bring out for everyone to nibble on?
(a) Cheese and crackers.
(b) Homemade cookies.
3. Which of the characters is clearly an alcoholic?
4. Who reminds Mel that it is for the best that he has his current profession?
(c) Himself (Mel).
5. How does Terri's ex-boyfriend eventually kill himself?
(a) He runs his car over a bridge.
(b) He stops eating.
(c) He stabs himself in Mel's kitchen.
(d) He shoots himself in the head.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Nick and Laura?
2. What does Terri suggest Mel do to make himself feel better?
3. What does Mel suggest after the story is interrupted?
4. What reason does Mel give for drinking?
5. Why does Mel hope his ex-wife will get injured?
Short Essay Questions
1. What description does the author give of Laura?
2. What does the narrator hear at the end of the story, and why is this important?
3. What is the attitude of the other characters in the story as Mel becomes drunk?
4. Describe the relationship between Mel and Terri.
5. What happens after Mel's story about the old couple ends?
6. Describe the characters' response to Mel's revelation that real love does exist.
7. What does Mel think about the cause of the old man's depression?
8. Why does Terri scold Mel for being insensitive?
9. Describe the relationship between Terri and Ed from Terri's point-of-view.
10. Compare Mel and Terri's relationship to Nick and Laura's.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)