|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does the character give for asking for something to eat before dinner?
(a) She/he is getting bored.
(b) She/he is drunk and needs to sober up.
(c) She/he wants to give the hostess something to do.
(d) She/he is very hungry.
2. What is Terri's ex-boyfriend's name?
3. What does Mel say he would have liked to have done as a profession?
(d) Wedding planner.
4. Who tells Mel that every person is different when it comes to love?
5. What happens immediately after the story of the old couple is over?
(a) The fire alarm goes off.
(b) No one speaks.
(c) One of the couples decides to get a divorce.
(d) The wine bottle crashes to the floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reminds Mel that it is for the best that he has his current profession?
2. Who is married to Nick?
3. Who brings up the topic of "spiritual love"?
4. Who says that Terri's ex-boyfriend is so inept that he can't even kill himself properly?
5. Why does Terri chastise Mel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Laura bump Nick's knee under the table?
2. What happens after Mel's story about the old couple ends?
3. Do you think Mel's example of real love is an appropriate one? Why or why not?
4. What was Mel's relationship with the old couple like?
5. What does Mel tell Laura he would do if anything happened to their spouses? Why?
6. Compare Mel and Terri's relationship to Nick and Laura's.
7. What impact does point of view have on this story?
8. How is Nick and Laura's relationship portrayed by the author?
9. What does Mel think of Nick and Laura's love?
10. Describe the characters' response to Mel's revelation that real love does exist.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)