|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the teenager after the accident?
(a) The teenager is bruised but not as badly injured as the older couple.
(b) The teenager dies.
(c) The doctors are not sure.
(d) The teenager suffers multiple brain injuries.
2. Who does Mel wish to talk with on the phone?
(a) His ex-wife.
(b) His parents.
(c) No one.
(d) His children.
3. Who is married to Nick?
4. Who asks for something to eat before dinner?
5. What does Mel say he would have liked to have done as a profession?
(d) Wedding planner.
Short Answer Questions
1. "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love" is a(n) ________ story of ____________ couples.
2. Why is the story of the old couple told?
3. Why is Mel hesitant to call?
4. Whose glass is overturned on the table at the end of the story?
5. Who tells the story of the old couple?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mel tell Laura he would do if anything happened to their spouses? Why?
2. Describe the interaction between Laura and Terri in the closing scene.
3. What is Mel feeling as he describes the old man's love, who senses this, and what is his or her response?
4. What was the prognosis for the old couple over the course of their hospitalization?
5. Why does Mel become more and more animated?
6. What two purposes does alcohol seem to serve in the story?
7. Who is the dominant character in Carver's story, and how do you know?
8. Why does Terri hope that Marjorie will remarry or die?
9. What is the purpose of stating that each character is "from somewhere else"?
10. What relationship does Mel have to the old man in the hospital?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)