|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is married to Nick?
2. Where are additional beverages kept?
(a) In the refrigerator.
(b) The cabinet.
(c) On the table.
(d) In the trunk.
3. What is the geographic setting for the story?
(c) Bar Harbor.
4. How does Terri's ex-boyfriend eventually kill himself?
(a) He stabs himself in Mel's kitchen.
(b) He stops eating.
(c) He shoots himself in the head.
(d) He runs his car over a bridge.
5. Who says that Terri's ex-boyfriend is so inept that he can't even kill himself properly?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Terri suggest Mel do to make himself feel better?
2. Who does Mel wish to talk with on the phone?
3. What time of day does the story take place?
4. What is the main topic of the couples' conversation?
5. Who threatens to kill Mel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Would you describe Mel as brave to introduce the meaning of real love? Why or why not?
2. Describe the setting of the initial part of the story as told by the narrator.
3. Who is the dominant character in Carver's story, and how do you know?
4. How long have Nick and Laura been married in comparison to Terri and Mel?
5. Why does Terri scold Mel for being insensitive?
6. Describe the relationship between Laura and Nick.
7. What sort of casts and bandages are the old couple wearing and why is this a problem?
8. What is the final conclusion about the meaning of love?
9. What two professions does Mel say he would have liked to have had and why?
10. Describe the characters' response to Mel's revelation that real love does exist.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)