|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mel's profession?
(a) Marriage counselor.
2. Who claims that abusive behavior is not love?
3. Why is Mel hesitant to call?
(a) He doesn't want them to know he is drunk.
(b) They haven't heard from him in several years.
(c) He doesn't want his current wife to feel left out.
(d) He does not want to talk to his ex-wife.
4. Who asks Mel to continue the story of the old couple?
5. What is the geographic setting for the story?
(a) Bar Harbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main topic of the couples' conversation?
2. What happens immediately after the story of the old couple is over?
3. What is Mel's ex-wife allergic to?
4. Who is the narrator?
5. Who reminds Mel that it is for the best that he has his current profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was happening when Mel arrived at the hospital?
2. Why do you think the characters enter a depressive state by the end of the story?
3. What does Mel seem to require in order to feel comfortable about opening up to the other characters?
4. Describe the interaction between Mel and Terri surrounding Mel's ex-wife.
5. Why is Mel frustrated with the meaning of love?
6. What is Mel feeling as he describes the old man's love, who senses this, and what is his or her response?
7. Does Terri think her ex-boyfriend loved her? Why?
8. How is Nick and Laura's relationship portrayed by the author?
9. Describe the interaction between Laura and Terri in the closing scene.
10. Describe the relationship between Laura and Nick.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)