|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Terri's ex-boyfriend's name?
2. What can the narrator hear near the end of the story?
(a) A fire burning.
(b) Wine being poured.
(c) Everyone's heartbeats.
(d) A childhood song.
3. What hits the old couple's car?
(a) A falling tree limb.
(b) A car.
(c) A bicycle.
(d) A deer.
4. What is the cause of the old man's depression?
(a) He can no longer take part in extramarital affairs.
(b) He is unable to see his wife.
(c) He loses his job.
(d) He is thinking about living the rest of his life as an invalid.
5. Who suggests that the group go to dinner?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the old couple's prognosis?
2. What is dysfunctional about Terri's previous relationship?
3. Who shakes the empty beverage container at Mel?
4. What does Nick do as a sign of romantic love?
5. Who turns on a light in the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Mel's relationship with the old couple like?
2. How long have Nick and Laura been married in comparison to Terri and Mel?
3. Describe the symbolism of Mel wanting to wear armor.
4. How is Mel's discussion of love similar to his profession?
5. What relationship does Mel have to the old man in the hospital?
6. What is the attitude of the other characters in the story as Mel becomes drunk?
7. Describe Mel and Laura's relationship.
8. Describe the relationship between Laura and Nick.
9. What happens after Mel spills his glass on the table?
10. What is Mel feeling as he describes the old man's love, who senses this, and what is his or her response?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)