|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens at the end of the story?
(a) The sun rises.
(b) The sun sets.
(c) Everyone starts crying.
(d) Everyone goes home.
2. Where is Mel when Terri's ex-boyfriend is brought to the hospital?
(a) At the hospital.
(c) At the restaurant.
(d) At his home with Terri.
3. What does Nick do as a sign of romantic love?
(a) Kisses his wife's hand.
(b) Writes a love song.
(c) Recites poetry.
(d) Gives his wife a rose.
4. What does Mel say he would have liked to have done as a profession?
(a) Wedding planner.
5. What is the cause of the old man's depression?
(a) He can no longer take part in extramarital affairs.
(b) He is unable to see his wife.
(c) He loses his job.
(d) He is thinking about living the rest of his life as an invalid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Mel that every person is different when it comes to love?
2. What does Mel suggest after the story is interrupted?
3. Who is married to Nick?
4. What is the beverage of choice throughout the duration of the conversation?
5. Which of the following does Mel wonder about new love?
Short Essay Questions
1. Would you describe Mel as brave to introduce the meaning of real love? Why or why not?
2. What relationship does Mel have to the old man in the hospital?
3. Why does Laura bump Nick's knee under the table?
4. Why does Terri hope that Marjorie will remarry or die?
5. Why is it ironic that Mel is a cardiologist by profession?
6. Describe what Mel was doing when he was notified of the car accident.
7. What two purposes does alcohol seem to serve in the story?
8. Who is the dominant character in Carver's story, and how do you know?
9. Describe the symbolism of Mel wanting to wear armor.
10. What does Mel think of Nick and Laura's love?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)