|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who feels as if the group is "enchanted" as the conversation continues?
2. What can the narrator hear near the end of the story?
(a) A childhood song.
(b) Wine being poured.
(c) Everyone's heartbeats.
(d) A fire burning.
3. What happens at the end of the story?
(a) The sun rises.
(b) Everyone starts crying.
(c) The sun sets.
(d) Everyone goes home.
4. Why does Mel's wife want this to happen to his ex-wife?
(a) Because she enjoys Mel's ex-wife's company.
(b) Because she is draining Mel financially and emotionally.
(c) Because she wants to have a place to stay when she and Mel go overseas.
(d) Because she is possessive of Mel.
5. What does Mel's wife hope will happen to his ex-wife?
(a) She will pay him back alimony and child support.
(b) She will move to another country.
(c) She will fall in love with Mel all over again.
(d) She will remarry or die.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mel's ex-wife's name?
2. How does the old couple appear in the hospital?
3. Who is married to Nick?
4. What is in the spilled glass?
5. Whose glass is overturned on the table at the end of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does alcohol have on the characters' conversation about real love?
2. Describe the setting at the end of the story.
3. What does Mel think about the cause of the old man's depression?
4. What does the narrator hear at the end of the story, and why is this important?
5. What happens after Mel's story about the old couple ends?
6. Does Terri think her ex-boyfriend loved her? Why?
7. Describe Mel's relationship with his ex-wife.
8. What is the attitude of the other characters in the story as Mel becomes drunk?
9. How many views of the situation does the author give the reader? Do you think this is helpful or not? Why?
10. What is the purpose of stating that each character is "from somewhere else"?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)