|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the characters sitting for the duration of the story?
(a) On the floor.
(b) On a bench.
(c) On a windowsill.
(d) In chairs.
2. What is Mel's ex-wife's name?
3. How does the old couple appear in the hospital?
(a) They appear overly happy and excited.
(b) They are unresponsive.
(c) They appear to hate each other.
(d) They are encased in body casts.
4. Who wants to know what the characters are going to do after the glass is spilled?
5. How does Terri's ex-boyfriend eventually kill himself?
(a) He runs his car over a bridge.
(b) He stops eating.
(c) He stabs himself in Mel's kitchen.
(d) He shoots himself in the head.
Short Answer Questions
1. Terri recalls a period of her life during which she lived like a:
2. Who does Mel wish to talk with on the phone?
3. What does Mel say would happen if any of the main characters died?
4. Who says they know what love really is and has an example to share?
5. Who is distracted from his story about love by having another drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the characters' response to Mel's revelation that real love does exist.
2. How is Mel's discussion of love similar to his profession?
3. Describe the setting of the initial part of the story as told by the narrator.
4. How many views of the situation does the author give the reader? Do you think this is helpful or not? Why?
5. Describe the relationship between Laura and Nick.
6. What sort of casts and bandages are the old couple wearing and why is this a problem?
7. What is Mel feeling as he describes the old man's love, who senses this, and what is his or her response?
8. Describe the interaction between Mel and Terri surrounding Mel's ex-wife.
9. Describe the relationship between Mel and Terri.
10. How is Nick and Laura's relationship portrayed by the author?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)