|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the old couple's condition after the accident?
(a) They are incredibly angry at the hospital and doctors.
(b) They are not injured other than scrapes and bruises.
(c) Their individual blood pressure readings skyrocket simultaneously.
(d) They have multiple injuries.
2. Who ends up going to get the snacks?
(d) No one.
3. What happens to Terri's ex-boyfriend after he tried to kill himself?
(a) He is unable to speak.
(b) He becomes more violent.
(c) His face is severely deformed.
(d) He can't walk.
4. Where does the story take place?
(a) A parking lot.
(b) A coffee shop.
(c) Nick's porch.
(d) Mel's kitchen.
5. What does Terri say she will bring out for everyone to nibble on?
(c) Cheese and crackers.
(d) Homemade cookies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mel hope his ex-wife will get injured?
2. Which character spent five years in a seminary?
3. Who claims that abusive behavior is not love?
4. Who notes that the characters "are all from someplace else"?
5. What is the geographic setting for the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Mel was doing when he was notified of the car accident.
2. What impact does point of view have on this story?
3. What does Mel hope will happen to his ex-wife and why?
4. What effect does alcohol have on the characters' conversation about real love?
5. Do you think Mel's example of real love is an appropriate one? Why or why not?
6. Describe the relationship between Laura and Nick.
7. According to Mel, why is the old man depressed?
8. What does the author seem to be saying about universal stages and phases of love?
9. How many views of the situation does the author give the reader? Do you think this is helpful or not? Why?
10. What is the purpose of stating that each character is "from somewhere else"?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)