|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the geographic setting for the story?
(a) Bar Harbor.
2. Who asks Mel to continue the story of the old couple?
3. What is Mel's ex-wife's name?
4. Who shakes the empty beverage container at Mel?
5. What is the old couple's prognosis?
(a) They will have to live at an assisted living facility the rest of their lives.
(b) Good, if they get divorced.
(c) They will be fine after recovering.
(d) They die soon after the accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the characters is clearly an alcoholic?
2. Whose glass is overturned on the table at the end of the story?
3. Terri teases the other couple for acting as if:
4. Which character spent five years in a seminary?
5. In addition to the beverages, what else is passed around during the conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mel hope will happen to his ex-wife and why?
2. How many views of the situation does the author give the reader? Do you think this is helpful or not? Why?
3. Would you describe Mel as brave to introduce the meaning of real love? Why or why not?
4. What sort of casts and bandages are the old couple wearing and why is this a problem?
5. Where are the characters in the story from?
6. Describe Mel's relationship with his ex-wife.
7. What does Mel seem to require in order to feel comfortable about opening up to the other characters?
8. What tone does Mel have as he recounts the story of the old couple and why?
9. Why does Terri scold Mel for being insensitive?
10. Why do you think the characters enter a depressive state by the end of the story?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)