|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Terri's ex-boyfriend after he tried to kill himself?
(a) He becomes more violent.
(b) He can't walk.
(c) His face is severely deformed.
(d) He is unable to speak.
2. Who asks Mel to continue the story of the old couple?
3. What is the old couple's prognosis?
(a) They will be fine after recovering.
(b) They die soon after the accident.
(c) They will have to live at an assisted living facility the rest of their lives.
(d) Good, if they get divorced.
4. Why does Mel say he would have liked to have been born in medieval times?
(a) So he could have had a shorter lifespan.
(b) So he could have worn armor.
(c) So he could have cooked better food for "the masses."
(d) So he could have courted a woman more properly.
5. How does Terri's ex-boyfriend attempt suicide the first time?
(a) Overdosing on psychiatric medication.
(b) Drinking rat poison.
(c) Cutting his wrists.
(d) Hanging himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can the narrator hear near the end of the story?
2. Who says that Terri's ex-boyfriend is so inept that he can't even kill himself properly?
3. Who ends up going to get the snacks?
4. Who does Terri say she loved to the point of distraction?
5. Who asks for something to eat before dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Terri and Ed's involvement?
2. Why is Mel frustrated with the meaning of love?
3. What does Mel think of Nick and Laura's love?
4. Would you describe Mel as brave to introduce the meaning of real love? Why or why not?
5. Why does Laura bump Nick's knee under the table?
6. Describe Mel's relationship with his ex-wife.
7. What happens after Mel's story about the old couple ends?
8. Where are the characters in the story from?
9. Describe the setting at the end of the story.
10. Describe the setting of the initial part of the story as told by the narrator.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)