|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mel say he would go after if his wife died?
(d) Mother Earth.
2. Why does Mel's wife want this to happen to his ex-wife?
(a) Because she enjoys Mel's ex-wife's company.
(b) Because she is draining Mel financially and emotionally.
(c) Because she is possessive of Mel.
(d) Because she wants to have a place to stay when she and Mel go overseas.
3. What does Terri suggest Mel do to make himself feel better?
(a) Call his parents.
(b) Have a drink.
(c) Take medication.
(d) Go to bed.
4. Who feels as if the group is "enchanted" as the conversation continues?
5. What does Mel suggest after the story is interrupted?
(a) That everyone have a drink and go to dinner.
(b) That everyone go home to bed.
(c) That everyone pitch in to help cook dinner.
(d) That they stop drinking for awhile.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Terri's ex-boyfriend attempt suicide the first time?
2. Who threatens to kill Mel?
3. Who wants to know what the characters are going to do after the glass is spilled?
4. What happens immediately after the story of the old couple is over?
5. What is Mel's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does alcohol have on the characters' conversation about real love?
2. Why does Terri scold Mel for being insensitive?
3. What was the prognosis for the old couple over the course of their hospitalization?
4. What is the final conclusion about the meaning of love?
5. Describe the relationship between Laura and Nick.
6. Why does Mel become more and more animated?
7. What does the narrator hear at the end of the story, and why is this important?
8. Who is the dominant character in Carver's story, and how do you know?
9. Where are the characters in the story from?
10. Describe the setting at the end of the story.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)