|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What literary device does the author use in portraying Mel's difficulty in understanding love despite his profession?
2. Which character becomes increasingly offensive over the course of the story?
3. According to the author, Mel's profession requires a significant amount of:
4. How does the author characterize Nick?
(a) Reasonable and logical.
(b) Passive and observant.
(c) Loud and gregarious.
(d) Gentle and compassionate.
5. Which of the following describes Laura's attitude toward Mel as the evening progresses?
6. Why does Mel's behavior worsen throughout the story?
(a) He is humbled by the narrator.
(b) He likes the sun coming in through the window.
(c) He drinks more and more.
(d) He likes the moonlight.
7. What is Nick's understanding of Terri and Mel's relationship?
(a) He is neutral toward their relationship.
(b) It is something he wants to work toward.
(c) It is unromantic and hostile.
(d) It is strong and full of love for each other.
8. Which of the following literary devices does the author use in his story?
9. How many stages of love are there, according to the author?
(a) Only one.
(c) It is unclear.
10. According to Mel, did Terri love her ex-boyfriend?
(a) The author does not address this topic.
(b) No, she only thought she did.
(c) Yes, she must have.
(d) She loved him only after he died.
11. Did Mel truly love his first wife?
(a) Yes, and Mel is still in love with her.
(b) He thought he did but probably didn't.
(c) Yes, they were deeply in love.
(d) The author does not address this topic.
12. What aspects of the heart does Mel understand?
(a) The concept of healing one broken by unrequited love.
(b) The emotional nuances.
(c) The connotation.
(d) The physical properties.
13. What term best describes Mel's nature?
14. Which of the following terms refers to the literal definition of 'heart'?
15. Which of the following are included in the plot of Carver's story?
(a) The story takes place in early morning.
(b) The characters are much happier at the end of the story.
(c) Nick thinks back to a previous relationship.
(d) Four characters gather in someone's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through which of the following methods does Carver communicate most of the significant aspects of his story?
2. According to the author, where are the characters from?
3. What is the tone in the beginning of Mel's story about the old couple?
4. Which of the following is a connotation of the word 'heart'?
5. Where are the other characters when Mel begins to talk about love?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)