|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following describes the literary device Carver uses when Terri and Mel talk about Terri's past relationship in detail?
(d) Dramatic irony.
2. How are the two couples different from other people in a relationship?
(a) They have a better understanding of love.
(b) They have a weaker understanding of love.
(c) They are no different.
(d) They are older than the average couple in love.
3. What term best describes Mel's nature?
4. How does Mel's behavior influence the other characters?
(a) They become afraid and anxious.
(b) They feel safe and secure.
(c) They become overwhelmed.
(d) It encourages them to talk more.
5. Why does Mel become frustrated?
(a) His wife is constantly interrupting him.
(b) He has trouble understanding the emotional aspects of the heart.
(c) He has difficulty remembering things.
(d) He cannot open the wine bottle.
6. What is Mel unable to do in this story?
(a) Articulate his ideas about love.
(b) Understand the workings of the human heart.
(c) Comprehend the effect of imagery in the story.
(d) Become uninhibited.
7. Which of the following best describes the mood of the old woman at the end of Mel's story?
(d) It is not clear.
8. What effect does the alcohol have on the characters by the end of the story?
(a) The characters become angry with one another.
(b) The characters are all laughing.
(c) The characters are all crying.
(d) The characters are all numb.
9. Did Mel truly love his first wife?
(a) He thought he did but probably didn't.
(b) Yes, and Mel is still in love with her.
(c) The author does not address this topic.
(d) Yes, they were deeply in love.
10. What purpose does foil serve in this story?
(a) To display the humorous side of the story.
(b) To emphasize characters' dramatically different views of love.
(c) To underscore the story about the old couple.
(d) To provide a satirical outlet.
11. Which of the characters seems to realize first that Mel's desire to experience real love is not yet fulfilled?
12. Which of the following is a connotation of the word 'heart'?
(a) The center of something.
(b) The organ responsible for moving blood around the body.
(c) A geometrical shape usually given on Valentine's Day.
(d) Emotions and memories connected to loving and feeling.
13. Which of the following literary devices does the author use in his story?
14. Why is Mel's story interrupted in the middle?
(a) Laura wants to go to dinner.
(b) Terri becomes irritated.
(c) Nick falls asleep.
(d) He wants another drink.
15. Who encourages Mel to explore the topic of love?
(a) No one.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Mel and the other characters able to talk about after they loosen up?
2. In what part of the story does the exposition appear?
3. Which of the following is used as a symbol of lack of inhibition in the story?
4. What effect may the alcohol have had on everyone besides Mel?
5. Which of the following characters can be said to be a tragic hero?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)