|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following describes Terri's reaction to Mel's response to the story of the old couple?
2. The alcohol in the story has a _________________ effect on the characters.
3. Which of the following is an example of situational irony?
(a) The story is about finding the meaning of love, yet it ends with no clear meaning at all.
(b) Mel says he does not know anything about love, and the reader finds this to be true.
(c) Terri is Mel's wife, but used to be married to his brother.
(d) Laura and Nick are not really in love.
4. Which of the following is a form of entertainment for the characters?
(a) Playing board games.
(b) Singing songs.
(d) Drinking alcohol.
5. Which of the following characters chastises another at one point in the story?
(a) Terri chastises Ed.
(b) Nick chastises Laura.
(c) Terri chastises Mel.
(d) Laura chastises Terri.
6. Did Mel truly love his first wife?
(a) The author does not address this topic.
(b) He thought he did but probably didn't.
(c) Yes, and Mel is still in love with her.
(d) Yes, they were deeply in love.
7. What effect may the alcohol have had on everyone besides Mel?
(a) They may have become more inhibited.
(b) They may have started to feel sick.
(c) They may have had a spike in blood sugar.
(d) They may have realized how ridiculous their ideas are.
8. What is the narrator's understanding of the meaning of love by the end of the story?
(a) It is full of thrills and romance.
(b) It is only available to those married a long time.
(c) It is unclear.
(d) It is depressing.
9. Which of the following terms refers to the literal definition of 'heart'?
10. What time of day does this story end?
(a) Late afternoon.
(d) Early morning.
11. What term best describes Mel's nature?
12. How many purposes does the alcohol serve in this story?
(c) It is unclear.
13. Over what length of time does this story take place?
(a) One evening.
(b) About thirty minutes.
(c) Two days.
(d) One week.
14. Why does Mel's behavior worsen throughout the story?
(a) He drinks more and more.
(b) He is humbled by the narrator.
(c) He likes the moonlight.
(d) He likes the sun coming in through the window.
15. After Mel finished his story, who does the narrator think knows the meaning of true love?
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tone of Mel's story about the old couple?
2. Which character is encouraged by the end of the story?
3. What effect does the alcohol have on the characters by the end of the story?
4. Through which of the following methods does Carver communicate most of the significant aspects of his story?
5. What do the characters talk about after Mel is finished with his story?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)