|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Mel become abusive?
2. What purpose does foil serve in this story?
(a) To provide a satirical outlet.
(b) To underscore the story about the old couple.
(c) To display the humorous side of the story.
(d) To emphasize characters' dramatically different views of love.
3. Which of the following literary techniques does the author use in comparing Mel's profession with the topic of conversation?
4. What effect may the alcohol have had on everyone besides Mel?
(a) They may have realized how ridiculous their ideas are.
(b) They may have had a spike in blood sugar.
(c) They may have become more inhibited.
(d) They may have started to feel sick.
5. Which of the following best describes the mood of the old woman at the end of Mel's story?
(d) It is not clear.
6. How does Mel's behavior influence the other characters?
(a) They feel safe and secure.
(b) It encourages them to talk more.
(c) They become afraid and anxious.
(d) They become overwhelmed.
7. What term best describes Mel's nature?
8. According to the author, where are the characters from?
(a) Somewhere else.
(b) The same place.
(c) The East Coast.
(d) A foreign land.
9. How does the author characterize Laura and Terri's relationship?
(a) Somewhat distant.
(b) Very close and sisterly.
(c) Focused on lots of shared interests.
(d) Based on the fact that they work together.
10. Which of the following characters chastises another at one point in the story?
(a) Terri chastises Mel.
(b) Nick chastises Laura.
(c) Laura chastises Terri.
(d) Terri chastises Ed.
11. Through which of the following methods does Carver communicate most of the significant aspects of his story?
(b) Figurative language.
12. Why does Terri have this reaction to Mel's story about the old couple?
(a) She is angry at Laura for making Mel cry.
(b) She understands how Mel feels.
(c) She is afraid their intimate love will not last forever.
(d) She is jealous that she cannot evoke the same sense of love from Mel.
13. Which of the following is the resolution to the story of the old couple?
(a) They both end up dying.
(b) They realize that they are not meant to be together.
(c) There is no resolution.
(d) They recover and are discharged from the hospital.
14. Which of the following techniques does the author use in his story?
15. Which character is encouraged by the end of the story?
(b) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the denotation of the word 'love'?
2. According to Mel, did Terri love her ex-boyfriend?
3. How does the author characterize Nick?
4. What is Mel unable to do in this story?
5. In which part of the story does the narrator mention where the characters are from?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)