|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following describes Laura's attitude toward Mel as the evening progresses?
2. What is the overall mood of the characters by the end of the story?
3. Why is Mel's story interrupted in the middle?
(a) He wants another drink.
(b) Laura wants to go to dinner.
(c) Terri becomes irritated.
(d) Nick falls asleep.
4. What is Mel unable to do in this story?
(a) Articulate his ideas about love.
(b) Comprehend the effect of imagery in the story.
(c) Become uninhibited.
(d) Understand the workings of the human heart.
5. What is the tone in the beginning of Mel's story about the old couple?
6. Which of the following is a symbol in this story?
(c) The heart.
7. Which of the following describes the literary device Carver uses when Terri and Mel talk about Terri's past relationship in detail?
(c) Dramatic irony.
8. Which of the following best describes the mood of the old woman at the end of Mel's story?
(d) It is not clear.
9. According to the author, where are the characters from?
(a) The same place.
(b) Somewhere else.
(c) The East Coast.
(d) A foreign land.
10. After Mel finished his story, who does the narrator think knows the meaning of true love?
(c) No one.
11. Other than Mel, which term best describes the characters in the story?
12. What sort of love does Mel have trouble understanding?
(a) Soft and gentle.
(c) Pure and fulfilling.
(d) Harsh and fierce.
13. Which of the following characters chastises another at one point in the story?
(a) Nick chastises Laura.
(b) Terri chastises Ed.
(c) Laura chastises Terri.
(d) Terri chastises Mel.
14. According to the author, what characteristics are typically granted to the heart?
(a) Compassion and tenderness.
(b) Cold and unloving.
(c) Emotional and romantic.
(d) Understanding and cognition.
15. Which character is encouraged by the end of the story?
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following describes Terri's reaction to Mel's response to the story of the old couple?
2. According to the author, what is the ultimate conclusion about the meaning of love?
3. Why does Terri have this reaction to Mel's story about the old couple?
4. Which of the following is a form of entertainment for the characters?
5. What does Terri think of the other couple's relationship?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)