|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the tone of the story as Nick kisses his wife's hand?
(a) Fast-paced and rushed.
(b) Romantic and sweet.
(c) Serious and arcane.
(d) Dull and subdued.
2. Where are the other characters when Mel begins to talk about love?
(a) The author does not say.
(b) At the table.
(c) At a restaurant.
3. What effect does the alcohol have on the characters by the end of the story?
(a) The characters are all crying.
(b) The characters become angry with one another.
(c) The characters are all numb.
(d) The characters are all laughing.
4. Which character becomes increasingly offensive over the course of the story?
5. Which of the following symbolizes the hopelessness the characters feel about finding real love?
(a) The rainstorm.
(b) The glass spilling on the table.
(c) The discovery that the group's favorite restaurant is closed.
(d) The meal burning in the oven.
6. Which of the following is used as a symbol of lack of inhibition in the story?
(c) Prescription medication.
7. According to Mel, did Terri love her ex-boyfriend?
(a) No, she only thought she did.
(b) She loved him only after he died.
(c) The author does not address this topic.
(d) Yes, she must have.
8. Which of the following describes Terri's reaction to Mel's response to the story of the old couple?
9. Which of the following is the resolution to the story of the old couple?
(a) They realize that they are not meant to be together.
(b) They recover and are discharged from the hospital.
(c) They both end up dying.
(d) There is no resolution.
10. According to the author, how common are the stages of love the couples are experiencing?
(a) They are unique to these couples.
(b) They are common to couples their age.
(c) They are universal.
(d) They are common to Western European couples.
11. Which of the following characters are able to loosen up over the course of the story?
(a) Only Mel.
(b) Nick and Laura.
(c) Terri and Mel.
(d) All of them.
12. Over what length of time does this story take place?
(a) One week.
(b) One evening.
(c) About thirty minutes.
(d) Two days.
13. Which of the following is an important theme in the story?
(a) Telling the truth.
14. Which of the following events is the climax of Carver's story?
(a) The fight between Nick and Mel.
(b) The revelation of Laura's secret.
(c) The conversation in Terri's mind.
(d) Mel's story of why the old man is depressed.
15. Which of the following is a symbol in this story?
(b) The heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mel's behavior influence the other characters?
2. Through which of the following methods does Carver communicate most of the significant aspects of his story?
3. Did Mel truly love his first wife?
4. What effect may the alcohol have had on everyone besides Mel?
5. As Carver's story progresses, how do Mel and Terri's attitudes toward each other change?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)