Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters can be said to be a tragic hero?
2. Why does Mel begin telling his story?
(a) Others ask him if he has any stories to tell.
(b) To explain the meaning of real love.
(c) He is intoxicated and doesn't know what he is doing.
(d) He is bored.
3. Which of the following is a symbol in Carver's story?
(c) Ice cream.
(d) Knight's armor.
4. Who can be said to be Mel's foil in this story?
5. Which of the characters seems to realize first that Mel's desire to experience real love is not yet fulfilled?
6. What effect may the alcohol have had on everyone besides Mel?
(a) They may have had a spike in blood sugar.
(b) They may have realized how ridiculous their ideas are.
(c) They may have become more inhibited.
(d) They may have started to feel sick.
7. Which of the following describes Laura's attitude toward Mel as the evening progresses?
8. Which of the following describes the literary device Carver uses when Terri and Mel talk about Terri's past relationship in detail?
(a) Dramatic irony.
9. What can describe Mel's behavior as the conversation progresses?
10. How does Mel's behavior influence the other characters?
(a) It encourages them to talk more.
(b) They feel safe and secure.
(c) They become afraid and anxious.
(d) They become overwhelmed.
11. Which of the following characters chastises another at one point in the story?
(a) Terri chastises Mel.
(b) Laura chastises Terri.
(c) Nick chastises Laura.
(d) Terri chastises Ed.
12. What is Nick's understanding of Terri and Mel's relationship?
(a) It is strong and full of love for each other.
(b) It is unromantic and hostile.
(c) It is something he wants to work toward.
(d) He is neutral toward their relationship.
13. After Mel finished his story, who does the narrator think knows the meaning of true love?
(c) No one.
14. Which of the following best describes the mood of the old woman at the end of Mel's story?
(c) It is not clear.
15. Which of the following terms refers to the literal definition of 'heart'?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, where are the characters from?
2. Who ultimately provides the most insight into what love really means?
3. Why does Mel's behavior worsen throughout the story?
4. How is the topic of love broached?
5. As Carver's story progresses, how do Mel and Terri's attitudes toward each other change?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)