|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the two couples different from other people in a relationship?
(a) They have a weaker understanding of love.
(b) They are no different.
(c) They have a better understanding of love.
(d) They are older than the average couple in love.
2. What is the tone in the beginning of Mel's story about the old couple?
3. What is Nick's understanding of Terri and Mel's relationship?
(a) It is unromantic and hostile.
(b) It is something he wants to work toward.
(c) It is strong and full of love for each other.
(d) He is neutral toward their relationship.
4. Why does Mel become frustrated?
(a) His wife is constantly interrupting him.
(b) He cannot open the wine bottle.
(c) He has trouble understanding the emotional aspects of the heart.
(d) He has difficulty remembering things.
5. What is the tone of the story as Nick kisses his wife's hand?
(a) Dull and subdued.
(b) Serious and arcane.
(c) Fast-paced and rushed.
(d) Romantic and sweet.
6. Why is Mel's story interrupted in the middle?
(a) Laura wants to go to dinner.
(b) Nick falls asleep.
(c) Terri becomes irritated.
(d) He wants another drink.
7. What is Mel unable to do in this story?
(a) Understand the workings of the human heart.
(b) Articulate his ideas about love.
(c) Comprehend the effect of imagery in the story.
(d) Become uninhibited.
8. How does the author characterize Laura?
(a) Intelligent and observant.
(b) Virtuous and innocent.
(c) Harsh and unreasonable.
(d) Transparent and unreliable.
9. What effect may the alcohol have had on everyone besides Mel?
(a) They may have realized how ridiculous their ideas are.
(b) They may have become more inhibited.
(c) They may have had a spike in blood sugar.
(d) They may have started to feel sick.
10. Which of the following characters chastises another at one point in the story?
(a) Nick chastises Laura.
(b) Terri chastises Mel.
(c) Laura chastises Terri.
(d) Terri chastises Ed.
11. Which of the following literary techniques does the author use in comparing Mel's profession with the topic of conversation?
12. According to the author, how common are the stages of love the couples are experiencing?
(a) They are common to couples their age.
(b) They are common to Western European couples.
(c) They are universal.
(d) They are unique to these couples.
13. How many purposes does the alcohol serve in this story?
(d) It is unclear.
14. What seems to help Mel and the other characters loosen up?
15. Which of the following describes Terri's reaction to Mel's response to the story of the old couple?
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary tool is used in the story of the old couple and Mel and Terri's relationship?
2. What do the characters talk about after Mel is finished with his story?
3. According to the author, what role do analysis and science play in the meaning of love?
4. How does the author characterize Nick?
5. Which of the following characters are able to loosen up over the course of the story?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)